PDA

View Full Version : UND hires Bubba Schweigert as new FB Coach.

buffalobill
December 24th, 2013, 02:19 PM
UND begins a new era in football.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 24th, 2013, 02:22 PM
A Bubba? Sweet!

darell1976
December 24th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Bubba ball starts today!! Welcome home Bubba!!

Bisonator
December 24th, 2013, 04:03 PM
I knew it'd be Bubba.

Southern Bison
December 24th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Oh good...it's half of a shrimp company.

BisonFan02
December 25th, 2013, 12:04 AM

Half shrimp/half hot dog/brat

IBleedYellow
December 25th, 2013, 12:20 AM
Sadly we all know that Bubba won't #chuckthepigskin as much as we'd like.

Southern Bison
December 25th, 2013, 02:13 AM
Perhaps this is their new game plan...

http://youtu.be/0WPkwQbUWpU

Lord knows Forrest would be UN_'s valedictorian.

I think I saw a "We Want NDSU" sign in the stands.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 25th, 2013, 07:51 AM
UND's defense just got a lot better. No way Bubba has a crappy ass defense like the last 2 yrs up north.

darell1976
December 25th, 2013, 07:58 AM
UND's defense just got a lot better. No way Bubba has a crappy ass defense like the last 2 yrs up north.

I hope with an improved defense we can be on the other half of the BSC standings.

darell1976
December 25th, 2013, 08:00 AM

We already had Gump (Muss) now it's time for the better half.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 25th, 2013, 08:43 AM
I hope with an improved defense we can be on the other half of the BSC standings.

EWU and Montana will definitely be tough next year. IMO, Bubba will have UND in the top half if not next year the year after.

darell1976
December 25th, 2013, 11:43 AM
EWU and Montana will definitely be tough next year. IMO, Bubba will have UND in the top half if not next year the year after.

It took Roger Thomas 6 seasons to get to the top of the NCC after Pat Behrns got UND in a hole, now Bubba has 4 years (his contract) to get out of the hole left by Muss. My expectations is .500 this year or close to it (6-6 or 5-7) then 6-5 or 7-4 in 2015, then by 2017 challenge the big boys for the conference title.

centennial
December 25th, 2013, 04:13 PM
It took Roger Thomas 6 seasons to get to the top of the NCC after Pat Behrns got UND in a hole, now Bubba has 4 years (his contract) to get out of the hole left by Muss. My expectations is .500 this year or close to it (6-6 or 5-7) then 6-5 or 7-4 in 2015, then by 2017 challenge the big boys for the conference title.
I expect him to have 5-6 wins next year and maybe improve to 8 wins at the end of 4 years. He will need to recruit his own system..trying to build a MVFC team from Big Sky will take time.

BisonFan02
December 25th, 2013, 05:30 PM

Not happening with the team as assembled. It is going to take more time than that to hit the reset button with some recruiting classes. UND fans are going to need to be patient for awhile.

frozennorth
December 25th, 2013, 06:37 PM
word on the street is that alot of politics went into the decision, and Faison basically got railroaded by the good old boys club.

Bisonoline
December 25th, 2013, 11:25 PM
word on the street is that alot of politics went into the decision, and Faison basically got railroaded by the good old boys club.

You mean Faison isnt in charge up there????

Herder
December 26th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Stayed in house (sort of, even though Bubba's been gone a few years). This is a good idea when you are winning . . . a bad idea when you are not. I think they should have gone outside of UND ties, but based on the list of applicants, they didn't have much choice. I'll take a wait and see on this hire. I think he can improve defensive scheme over time, but can he bring in players, develop players?

GABison
December 26th, 2013, 09:36 AM
If Bubba can bring in some hard-nosed MVFC defense to the BSC, I would say his chances for success increase greatly.

deez_na
December 26th, 2013, 09:40 AM
From what i hear you are looking at another decade of losing and a 2 win season next year?

ursus arctos horribilis
December 26th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Sounds like this is a hire that will give the UND fans some hope and looks like the right direction in finding someone that puts a premium on D so good job if this is true or is announced today or tomorrow.

Most of all though...I'd really like to say thanks to the UND and NDSU fans having this discussion. I mean it, thanks. You've made it worthy of reading a thread concerning either one of these teams again and it's damn well appreciated. I repped every one of ya for it.

Hambone
December 26th, 2013, 10:16 AM
You know, Bubba definitely isn't a "sexy" hire, but I think he should be able to do a good job. The focus on defense should bring this team around, although I'm expecting a bumpy ride over the next couple years for a complete and total rebuild. I think there are some younger kids that have a lot of potential, especially on the defensive side of the ball, so hopefully that helps get up sooner than later. I'm just hoping to see some improvement over the next year or two.

I'm very curious as to who he will bring in on the staff around him. That will have a lot to do with how successful this move is, and a couple wrong hires could put us in the wrong direction. However, I'm willing to be patient and see what the next couple years brings.

darell1976
December 26th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Stayed in house (sort of, even though Bubba's been gone a few years). This is a good idea when you are winning . . . a bad idea when you are not. I think they should have gone outside of UND ties, but based on the list of applicants, they didn't have much choice. I'll take a wait and see on this hire. I think he can improve defensive scheme over time, but can he bring in players, develop players?

The wait and see approach is what people need to do. Muss was hired in between AD's so they gave him the job with virtually no applicants and it was just to fill a void, look how that turned out. I think if UND wins it's first game (At SJSU) not only will it be UND's first FBS win but more people will give Bubba a chance than they are now.

deez_na
December 26th, 2013, 10:50 AM
The wait and see approach is what people need to do. Muss was hired in between AD's so they gave him the job with virtually no applicants and it was just to fill a void, look how that turned out. I think if UND wins it's first game (At SJSU) not only will it be UND's first FBS win but more people will give Bubba a chance than they are now.

Losing Harden, Golloday, Jackson and having a poor QB. It will be alot to think they even have a chance winning at SJSU next year. I'd be surprised if they surpass this seasons record.

Hammerhead
December 26th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Both finalists were coordinators at SIU. That's quite a connection between UND and SIU with the a former head coach for UND the current SIU head coach.

darell1976
December 26th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Losing Harden, Golloday, Jackson and having a poor QB. It will be alot to think they even have a chance winning at SJSU next year. I'd be surprised if they surpass this seasons record.

UND almost beat NIU and Fresno St with a less than stellar offense in 2010 and 2011 it's not the offense that needs a complete overhaul it's the defense and disipline which Muss failed at greatly. If UND can get back to smash mouth football and establish a running game (they have the backs to do it) they can control the clock and give the defense a breather, something that hurt them the last couple years.

deez_na
December 26th, 2013, 11:56 AM
UND almost beat NIU and Fresno St with a less than stellar offense in 2010 and 2011 it's not the offense that needs a complete overhaul it's the defense and disipline which Muss failed at greatly. If UND can get back to smash mouth football and establish a running game (they have the backs to do it) they can control the clock and give the defense a breather, something that hurt them the last couple years.

Miller gone this year? He was played way too much last season in the wrong situations. Muss really didn't use him very well.

darell1976
December 26th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Miller gone this year? He was played way too much last season in the wrong situations. Muss really didn't use him very well.

Yep he's gone. They could have used more from Jer Garmin or PJ Sparks instead of Miller. Plus the OL wasn't exactly knocking down lineman. Hopefully Bubba fixes this on offense so UND isn't just a one dimensional team.

Bisonator
December 26th, 2013, 12:26 PM
So any idea who Bubba is looking at for coordinators? Is he going to be the DC too?

centennial
December 26th, 2013, 12:37 PM
SJSU is a solid team. I expect UND to hang with them till the half. After that I am not sure. You will need to wait to recruit the correct type of players, as of now UND will struggle. Is UND big on transfers? Perhaps you guys can bring in a few skill players from JUCO and FBS and be competitive right away.

darell1976
December 26th, 2013, 12:42 PM
SJSU is a solid team. I expect UND to hang with them till the half. After that I am not sure. You will need to wait to recruit the correct type of players, as of now UND will struggle. Is UND big on transfers? Perhaps you guys can bring in a few skill players from JUCO and FBS and be competitive right away.

I heard this is how SIU has got their players and hasn't worked. I hope Bubba doesn't follow that, and stick with recruiting high schoolers. As for SJSU, UND has gotten close 3 times to beating FBS teams in 2010-2012, losing at the last few minutes of each battle (NIU, FSU, and SDSU) so keeping a fresh defense on the field will be helpful and that's where a running game would be a big plus. As for transfers, UND does get some, not a whole bunch but some. As of now with Bubba coming in it gives us hope (Muss is gone), but until we start getting W's there will be those who think hiring Bubba was a mistake.

centennial
December 26th, 2013, 12:54 PM
I heard this is how SIU has got their players and hasn't worked. I hope Bubba doesn't follow that, and stick with recruiting high schoolers. As for SJSU, UND has gotten close 3 times to beating FBS teams in 2010-2012, losing at the last few minutes of each battle (NIU, FSU, and SDSU) so keeping a fresh defense on the field will be helpful and that's where a running game would be a big plus. As for transfers, UND does get some, not a whole bunch but some. As of now with Bubba coming in it gives us hope (Muss is gone), but until we start getting W's there will be those who think hiring Bubba was a mistake.
SIU is a solid team. They were doing well against NDSU till their QB broke his finger on a freak accident(if I remember correctly). For now, UND will have to look at some transfers. Didn't you guys lose a bunch of players? The short term goal should be sneaking into the playoffs, long term trying to recruit to a new system.

SIUSalukiFan
December 26th, 2013, 06:17 PM

You heard wrong.

One of the big complaints against Dale Lennon is he doesn't have the same pipeline as Jerry Kill to bring in JUCOs and transfers.

darell1976
December 26th, 2013, 06:22 PM
You heard wrong.

One of the big complaints against Dale Lennon is he doesn't have the same pipeline as Jerry Kill to bring in JUCOs and transfers.

From Bisonville:

BisoninNWMN (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/member.php?2828-BisoninNWMN)

SIU always brings in FBS and JUCO guys. Seems like that philosophy hasn't worked for Lennon.

This is where I heard it.

skinny_uncle
December 26th, 2013, 08:13 PM
While there have been a few high profile transfers at SIU (Ex. Brandon Jacobs), most of their recruits are high school kids.

SIUSalukiFan
December 26th, 2013, 08:35 PM
From Bisonville:

This is where I heard it.

I don't give a **** where you heard it ... it's wrong. xlolx

Bisonville isn't the epicenter of the football universe.

IBleedYellow
December 26th, 2013, 08:36 PM
A UN_ fan shouldn't be using Bisonville for his sources! COME ON DARREL!

So what are the plans for the assistants, any rumors?

darell1976
December 26th, 2013, 09:05 PM
A UN_ fan shouldn't be using Bisonville for his sources! COME ON DARREL!

So what are the plans for the assistants, any rumors?

I thought everything on BV was fact, I mean Bison fans don't lie. ;) as for assistants it's hard to tell, if anyone from SIU will go with Bubba.

underdawg
December 26th, 2013, 11:16 PM
I thought everything on BV was fact, I mean Bison fans don't lie. ;) as for assistants it's hard to tell, if anyone from SIU will go with Bubba.

Well don't use Saluki nation as your source on that one--a few disgruntled fans there want Lennon and DeBoer to go to UND too!

Houndawg
December 27th, 2013, 03:12 AM
Well don't use Saluki nation as your source on that one--a few disgruntled fans there want Lennon and DeBoer to go to UND too!

I'd settle for deBoer...

kalm
December 27th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Congrats to UND on the hire. SUU, NAU, and Davis all had some success this year playing solid D. In order to contend for a title, I still think you need the ability to win in a shootout against the elite offenses in the conference, but playing sound defense at least gives you a shot at being competitive. Davis had a nice season under first year head coach Ron Gould finishing 5-3 after the rough start. 4-5 wins in the first season for UND would be a reasonable expectation. It also helps that you have a couple of winnable OOC games to start.

Good luck!

darell1976
December 27th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Congrats to UND on the hire. SUU, NAU, and Davis all had some success this year playing solid D. In order to contend for a title, I still think you need the ability to win in a shootout against the elite offenses in the conference, but playing sound defense at least gives you a shot at being competitive. Davis had a nice season under first year head coach Ron Gould finishing 5-3 after the rough start. 4-5 wins in the first season for UND would be a reasonable expectation. It also helps that you have a couple of winnable OOC games to start.

Good luck!

UND's OOC schedule is @ San Jose St, vs Robert Morris, @ Missouri St, vs Stony Brook. We could go 3-1, or we could go 0-4 with this "new" team we just don't know. Defense has been UND's weakness since around 2010, the offense last season needed a veteran QB like it did in 2012 but we were stuck with 2 RFr, now a year older (and hopefully wiser) Bartels, or Mollberg will have to prove themselves to Bubba who should start and if they can compete in "his" new offense.

darell1976
December 27th, 2013, 08:37 AM

HC-Bubba
OC-DeBoer
DC-Lennon

UND's new coaching combo.:D

darell1976
December 27th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Bubba was now formally announced as the head coach of the University of North Dakota. There was a press conference this morning at the Alerus that just ended. UNDsports.com may have a replay of it. He talked about defense of course and how he is going to work hard (including the staff), recruit mainly in the Midwest (although not limited elsewhere), and make the opposing QB's mothers miserable. He said he has a 2 month plan (probably hiring etc.) but no names as for as staff members where named. Bubba is what this team needed in 2008, but better late than never and excitement can start rebuilding in this team as we get ready for Saturday Aug, 30th!!!!

deez_na
December 27th, 2013, 11:21 AM
HC-Bubba
OC-DeBoer
DC-Lennon

UND's new coaching combo.:D

Good luck with that one.

clenz
December 27th, 2013, 12:06 PM
UND's OOC schedule is @ San Jose St, vs Robert Morris, @ Missouri St, vs Stony Brook. We could go 3-1, or we could go 0-4 with this "new" team we just don't know. Defense has been UND's weakness since around 2010, the offense last season needed a veteran QB like it did in 2012 but we were stuck with 2 RFr, now a year older (and hopefully wiser) Bartels, or Mollberg will have to prove themselves to Bubba who should start and if they can compete in "his" new offense.

I see 2-2 work losses to MSU and SJSU

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

deez_na
December 27th, 2013, 01:04 PM
I heard Mussman might be the assistant coach.

darell1976
December 27th, 2013, 01:19 PM
I see 2-2 work losses to MSU and SJSU

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

I would be happy with 2-2. Any sign of improvement would be a welcome sight.

Thumper76
December 27th, 2013, 03:49 PM
2-2 seems reasonable if Missiouri State keeps the ball rolling. Looks like a solid hire though IMO.

MplsBison
December 27th, 2013, 08:38 PM

But where are they going to get the high schoolers? They're competing against the Dakota schools and UNI in the upper midwest, the rest of the MVC schools if they go farther east, and then if they try to go to Colorado and California they're recruiting against a bunch of schools, Big Sky teams in particular.

The IPF will be a nice recruiting tool and maybe Bubba will be a strong closer.

They'll still get pretty good kids out of the Dakotas, MN and WI - as always. But they will probably be losing a lot of head to head battles with NDSU, SDSU and UNI.

DJKyR0
December 27th, 2013, 08:41 PM

Let me eliminate some of the uncertainty for you and say there's no way 3-1 is happening with that schedule and this defection-gutted football team. Unless your guys' quarterbacking improves significantly (far from a given, and the WR losses don't help) it's going to be another long year. I see SJSU winning by 10+, RMU being competitive, Missouri State is better than people think, and Stony Brook tears through the UN_ _efense like tissue paper.

MplsBison
December 27th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Bubba was now formally announced as the head coach of the University of North Dakota. There was a press conference this morning at the Alerus that just ended. UNDsports.com may have a replay of it. He talked about defense of course and how he is going to work hard (including the staff), recruit mainly in the Midwest (although not limited elsewhere), and make the opposing QB's mothers miserable. He said he has a 2 month plan (probably hiring etc.) but no names as for as staff members where named. Bubba is what this team needed in 2008, but better late than never and excitement can start rebuilding in this team as we get ready for Saturday Aug, 30th!!!!

OK, let me preface this by saying I really know very little about UND football. Especially since they stopped playing NDSU.

But I had heard that Mussman was a very good OLine coach and well liked by players. Mind you this was quite some time ago (hence, why I said since they stopped playing NDSU).

Maybe he's burnt his UND bridge for a while (or perhaps UND burnt it with him when they fired him), but is there any sense in saying that perhaps Bubba would hire Mussman back?? Has there been any cases in DI football where the HC is fired and then comes back the next season on the same team as an assistant? Seems unlikely.

Or would Lennon hire him at SIU, particularly if Bubba lures DeBoer to Grand Forks?

Wilson16
December 27th, 2013, 09:07 PM
OK, let me preface this by saying I really know very little about UND football. Especially since they stopped playing NDSU.

But I had heard that Mussman was a very good OLine coach and well liked by players. Mind you this was quite some time ago (hence, why I said since they stopped playing NDSU).

Maybe he's burnt his UND bridge for a while (or perhaps UND burnt it with him when they fired him), but is there any sense in saying that perhaps Bubba would hire Mussman back?? Has there been any cases in DI football where the HC is fired and then comes back the next season on the same team as an assistant? Seems unlikely.

Or would Lennon hire him at SIU, particularly if Bubba lures DeBoer to Grand Forks?

Makes perfect sense for A Muss and Lennon reunion of some sorts

darell1976
December 27th, 2013, 10:27 PM

I can't see Muss getting hired by Bubba, he wants someone with a strong work ethic not someone who lets his players screw around on the bench while getting blown out by 40. Muss was NOT a proven leader.

darell1976
December 27th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Let me eliminate some of the uncertainty for you and say there's no way 3-1 is happening with that schedule and this defection-gutted football team. Unless your guys' quarterbacking improves significantly (far from a given, and the WR losses don't help) it's going to be another long year. I see SJSU winning by 10+, RMU being competitive, Missouri State is better than people think, and Stony Brook tears through the UN_ _efense like tissue paper.

UND beat Stony Brook in 09 with a less than stellar offense, they should beat Robert Morris, the Missouri St game for me was a toss up because I know nothing about them but they used to be a bottom feeder of the MVFC (I don't know if they still are). San Jose should be a loss unless Bubba really turns this team around.

Wilson16
December 27th, 2013, 11:45 PM
UND beat Stony Brook in 09 with a less than stellar offense, they should beat Robert Morris, the Missouri St game for me was a toss up because I know nothing about them but they used to be a bottom feeder of the MVFC (I don't know if they still are). San Jose should be a loss unless Bubba really turns this team around.
And 09 matters in 2014?

underdawg
December 28th, 2013, 12:01 AM

Nope! Bill O'Boyle is a great OL coach at SIU and may become an associate head coach too

darell1976
December 28th, 2013, 01:12 AM
And 09 matters in 2014?

I'm just saying with a less than stellar offense UND beat SB, UND has a less than stellar offense now, if Bubba gets the defense in order UND will win that game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 28th, 2013, 07:51 AM
I'm just saying with a less than stellar offense UND beat SB, UND has a less than stellar offense now, if Bubba gets the defense in order UND will win that game.

Pretty interesting read over on SS.com darell. Seems like a lot of your fellow UND fans think that now UND is a better team/defensive team now that Bubba is the coach compared to NDSU.

Regarding next year's schedule.....Missouri State will be a tough game.

Wilson16
December 28th, 2013, 10:19 AM

When do you think Bubba gets the team back in the playoffs and how long are you willing to wait?

MplsBison
December 28th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Nope! Bill O'Boyle is a great OL coach at SIU and may become an associate head coach too

Fair enough, but that doesn't mean Mussman can't coach another position and be the O-coord, again especially if DeBoer goes back to UND.

Sioux24/7
December 28th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Fair enough, but that doesn't mean Mussman can't coach another position and be the O-coord, again especially if DeBoer goes back to UND.

DeBoer is not coming to UND. The names being thrown around right now are Ted Schlafke, Todd Hoffner and Phil Longo. Of course, this is all just fan speculation.

centennial
December 28th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Missouri State started this season as a poor team but they improved quite a bit. I fully expect them to beat UND. They beat SDSU, SIU at the end of the season and scored 26 points on NDSU, something no other team has done this year. Their Saragin Rank for this year was 115, UND = 228. They would be 24 point favorites against your team at least this year.

clenz
December 28th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Missouri State started this season as a poor team but they improved quite a bit. I fully expect them to beat UND. They beat SDSU, SIU at the end of the season and scored 26 points on NDSU, something no other team has done this year. Their Saragin Rank for this year was 115, UND = 228. They would be 24 point favorites against your team at least this year.
They also gave up 41 to NDSU...and then lost to UNI...at home...on senior day...to a UNI team that ran the ball 58 times, playing a back up QB who can't throw the ball any better than I can (although is extremely explosive with his legs). UNI jumped to a 14-3 lead in the first quarter and then completely took the air out of the ball and replaced it with cement.

MSU was a very much improved team - and had a streak during conference play - but lets not paint them as something they weren't.

Although, they would have CRUSHED UND.

darell1976
December 28th, 2013, 06:47 PM
When do you think Bubba gets the team back in the playoffs and how long are you willing to wait?

As long as this team builds every year I am willing to wait 4-6 years but I hope to see UND in the playoffs by year 3 so 2016..playoffs or bust! OOC games in '16 is @ Bowling Green, vs South Dakota, at Stony Brook.

darell1976
December 28th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Pretty interesting read over on SS.com darell. Seems like a lot of your fellow UND fans think that now UND is a better team/defensive team now that Bubba is the coach compared to NDSU.

Regarding next year's schedule.....Missouri State will be a tough game.

Its the attitude that Bubba brings compared to Muss's let's try not to get blown out in this game attitude. I am sure Bison fans may have the same feeling after Babich was fired and Bohl was hired. You need a great leader to turn things around, Bohl proved that, and so did Mussman (too bad he took UND in the wrong direction).

aces1180
December 28th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Its the attitude that Bubba brings compared to Muss's let's try not to get blown out in this game attitude. I am sure Bison fans may have the same feeling after Babich was fired and Bohl was hired. You need a great leader to turn things around, Bohl proved that, and so did Mussman (too bad he took UND in the wrong direction).

I'm not sure why, but a lot of UN_ fans think Babich was fired after his 2-8 season in 2002...He was not. He left on his own accord to join Lovie Smith's defense in St. Louis. Bohl was hired soon after. The last coach fired at NDSU was Rocky Hager and that's because of off-the-field issues (which many still feel could have been resolved without firing him, but the AD was a jackass).

centennial
December 28th, 2013, 08:05 PM
They also gave up 41 to NDSU...and then lost to UNI...at home...on senior day...to a UNI team that ran the ball 58 times, playing a back up QB who can't throw the ball any better than I can (although is extremely explosive with his legs). UNI jumped to a 14-3 lead in the first quarter and then completely took the air out of the ball and replaced it with cement.

MSU was a very much improved team - and had a streak during conference play - but lets not paint them as something they weren't.

I not saying MSU is a great team, but as you said there is no comparison between them and UND. UND is probably better than Indiana State, similar to WIU in my book as a MVFC comparison.

clenz
December 28th, 2013, 08:11 PM
I not saying MSU is a great team, but as you said there is no comparison between them and UND. UND is probably better than Indiana State, similar to WIU in my book as a MVFC comparison.
Might be a fair comparason.

However, ISUb is BAD...I mean BAD...As good as the MVFC is ISUb brings it WAY down. There is a ton of space between ISUb and WIU.

I'd put UND between the two but closer to WIU

centennial
December 28th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Might be a fair comparason.

However, ISUb is BAD...I mean BAD...As good as the MVFC is ISUb brings it WAY down. There is a ton of space between ISUb and WIU.

I'd put UND between the two but closer to WIU

The funny thing is ISUb is still rated higher than UND in computer polls. UND may well beat MSU next year but it will be a big upset. Yes ISUb is a terrible team.

Wilson16
December 29th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Was Bubba considered for this job when Mussman was hired? Just seems to me they could have had him years ago. Trying to figure out why he's the savior now

darell1976
December 29th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Was Bubba considered for this job when Mussman was hired? Just seems to me they could have had him years ago. Trying to figure out why he's the savior now

UND was inbetween AD's (Bunning was fired and Faison was still at New Mexico State) so there was no national search for a coach and Muss was promoted internally. Muss just filled a void and look how it tuned out. Lennon was smart for grabbing "his" guys and taking them to SIU.

saxbison
December 30th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Listened to Bubba's interview today on KFYR. He emphasized that his philosophy will be run the ball and play stifling defense. Glad to see UND return to its roots.

deez_na
December 30th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Listened to Bubba's interview today on KFYR. He emphasized that his philosophy will be run the ball and play stifling defense. Glad to see UND return to its roots.

Gonna try keep up with the Bison now huh? Problem they had running the ball this year was that on 3rd and short situations Mussman wasn't bright enough to bring in the bigger backs, he kept using the tiny 165 lb Miller who gets tackled when hes touched.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 30th, 2013, 03:26 PM

Listened to his interview also. He likes the 3-4 defense against all of the Big Sky spread offenses. It will be interesting to see who he hires as his coordinators.

Run the ball and play defense.....good start.

BisonFan02
December 30th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Gonna try keep up with the Bison now huh? Problem they had running the ball this year was that on 3rd and short situations Mussman wasn't bright enough to bring in the bigger backs, he kept using the tiny 165 lb Miller who gets tackled when hes touched.

As stated earlier...this won't be a quick turnaround and will need at least a few recruiting classes to change the culture (is this year lost already?). UND fans are going to have to be patient for awhile.

darell1976
December 31st, 2013, 09:11 AM
As stated earlier...this won't be a quick turnaround and will need at least a few recruiting classes to change the culture (is this year lost already?). UND fans are going to have to be patient for awhile.

Fans are talking about 3 years. In 3 years a serious run for a playoff berth (maybe 5 for a conference title). If we make the playoffs next year (I am thinking 5 wins or so, playoffs in 2016) it will be a hell of an accomplishment.

Hambone
December 31st, 2013, 09:13 AM
It was maddening to watch the defense for the past quite a few years. I remember back in the late 90s/early 00s watching the defense just suffocate everyone. I've been waiting to get back to that for a long time. Also can't wait for a nice balanced offense with a dominating running game.

Hambone
December 31st, 2013, 09:15 AM
Fans are talking about 3 years. In 3 years a serious run for a playoff berth (maybe 5 for a conference title). If we make the playoffs next year (I am thinking 5 wins or so, playoffs in 2016) it will be a hell of an accomplishment.
As long as there is improvement in the defense and running game and there is a cut down on stupid indisciplined penalties I am more than willing to wait a couple years. Have a decent young nucleus to build on - just need to start pulling it together.

darell1976
December 31st, 2013, 09:20 AM
As long as there is improvement in the defense and running game and there is a cut down on stupid indisciplined penalties I am more than willing to wait a couple years. Have a decent young nucleus to build on - just need to start pulling it together.

I think with Bubba's attitude and his emphasis on a hard work ethic for the assistants, things are going to change at UND. I am willing to wait, and I can't wait to be sitting at my first "Bubba" game for the Potato Bowl against Robert Morris.

UNDBIZ
December 31st, 2013, 09:54 AM

Yeah, I bet they would've beaten us nearly as badly as SDSU did.

Wilson16
January 1st, 2014, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I bet they would've beaten us nearly as badly as SDSU did.

Cause SDSU was a solid moral victory right?

SDFS
January 1st, 2014, 11:01 PM

Well according to FU fans its "Our Super Bowl" or "Moral Victory" - your choice! Stay classy FU fans

centennial
January 1st, 2014, 11:33 PM
Well according to FU fans its "Our Super Bowl" or "Moral Victory" - your choice! Stay classy FU fans
So they had a good game, where SDSU played poorly. SDSU also destroyed NAU who was the 2nd team in Big Sky. MSU would be a top 3 team in the Big Sky.

darell1976
January 2nd, 2014, 05:15 PM
Paul Rudolph (Minot St HC) named OC! Now just the DC is to be named.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 2nd, 2014, 05:32 PM
Paul Rudolph (Minot St HC) named OC! Now just the DC is to be named.

Pretty much Eric Schmidt isn't it?

Sioux24/7
January 2nd, 2014, 06:37 PM

Pretty much guaranteed it is.

UNDBIZ
January 3rd, 2014, 09:43 AM
So they had a good game, where SDSU played poorly. SDSU also destroyed NAU who was the 2nd team in Big Sky. MSU would be a top 3 team in the Big Sky.

Ah yes, 300 yards rushing and 450 total offense is a poor game now. SDSU almost destroyed NAU as badly as they did YSU, the #2 of the MVFC. Montana St usually is near the top, so yeah.... xstfux

UNDBIZ
January 3rd, 2014, 09:44 AM

Didn't say that. Just pointing out how idiotic you people sound when you make statements about how certain teams are guaranteed to crush others.

darell1976
January 3rd, 2014, 02:38 PM

It is now official!!

Wilson16
January 3rd, 2014, 09:42 PM
Didn't say that. Just pointing out how idiotic you people sound when you make statements about how certain teams are guaranteed to crush others.

So I can then point out how idiotic you sound when you think you played a good game against a team that quit playing in the second half because they were ahead by so much. SDSU the almost victory xbowx

ursus arctos horribilis
January 4th, 2014, 12:12 AM
So I can then point out how idiotic you sound when you think you played a good game against a team that quit playing in the second half because they were ahead by so much. SDSU the almost victory xbowx

I've seen that from a bunch of people and I watched the game and it's just incorrect but if you feel like thinking it I'm all good with it. I am not sure how a team "cruising" or whatever is seen as any sort of excuse anyway.

The game was played, it turned out close in the end as some games do, that's the whole story on the game.

MplsBison
January 4th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Interesting: Rudolph was the OC at St. Cloud under Hedberg in the 2000's, yet now Rudolph is the new OC at UND while Hedberg remains just the QB coach on Lennon's staff and DeBoer - who isn't a North Dakotan and doesn't have any playing or coaching ties to UND - remains the OC on Lennon's staff.

I wonder, did Lennon initially hire Hedberg as OC but then demoted him to make room for the NAIA superstar DeBoer? Or was Hedberg never the OC at SIU?

And I also wonder if Bubba interviewed Hedberg or DeBoer for the UND OC job?

Finally, it now appears Lennon needs a DC and linebackers coach (did Bubba coach linebackers as well?). So will Mussman himself or someone from his staff be hired by Lennon?

SDFS
January 4th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Interesting: Rudolph was the OC at St. Cloud under Hedberg in the 2000's, yet now Rudolph is the new OC at UND while Hedberg remains just the QB coach on Lennon's staff and DeBoer - who isn't a North Dakotan and doesn't have any playing or coaching ties to UND - remains the OC on Lennon's staff. I believe that DeBoer is OC at E Michigan now. OC position at SIU is open.

I wonder, did Lennon initially hire Hedberg as OC but then demoted him to make room for the NAIA superstar DeBoer? Or was Hedberg never the OC at SIU?
Phil Longo was the original OC hired by Dale. He came with Bubba from UMD. Hedberg has always been the QC coach at SIU. I believe that Hedberg was OC at SCSU and OC/QB coach at UND prior to coming to SIU.

And I also wonder if Bubba interviewed Hedberg or DeBoer for the UND OC job?

My guess is no.

Finally, it now appears Lennon needs a DC and linebackers coach (did Bubba coach linebackers as well?). So will Mussman himself or someone from his staff be hired by Lennon?
A couple of people commented (on SS - consider the source) that Schimdt was offered the DC position at SIU after Bubba left. Not sure if true, but he is now DC at UND. UND's old DC is now head coach at Mary. Not sure were the OC is at. He was a hell of a recruiter out of the Illinois area.

centennial
January 4th, 2014, 11:37 AM
I've seen that from a bunch of people and I watched the game and it's just incorrect but if you feel like thinking it I'm all good with it. I am not sure how a team "cruising" or whatever is seen as any sort of excuse anyway.

The game was played, it turned out close in the end as some games do, that's the whole story on the game.
It was a victory for UND.

MplsBison
January 4th, 2014, 11:59 AM
I believe that DeBoer is OC at E Michigan now. OC position at SIU is open.

Phil Longo was the original OC hired by Dale. He came with Bubba from UMD. Hedberg has always been the QC coach at SIU. I believe that Hedberg was OC at SCSU and OC/QB coach at UND prior to coming to SIU.

My guess is no.

A couple of people commented (on SS - consider the source) that Schimdt was offered the DC position at SIU after Bubba left. Not sure if true, but he is now DC at UND. UND's old DC is now head coach at Mary. Not sure were the OC is at. He was a hell of a recruiter out of the Illinois area.

Thanks for the info on DeBoer.

As I said, Hedberg was the head coach at St. Cloud when Rudolph was the OC. From his bio:

Prior to SIU, Hedberg spent nine seasons as head coach at St. Cloud State, where he posted a 47-51 record. In 18 years as a collegiate head coach, he compiled an overall mark of 92-74-2.

Hedberg began his collegiate coaching career as an assistant (1979-81) and head coach (1982-90) at Minot State. He also worked as an assistant head coach and offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at Central Missouri State (1990-96). From 1996-99, Hedberg was the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks/receivers coach at North Dakota.

Gotta think Lennon will offer Hedberg the OC spot. That's the natural position for the QB's coach. You want the guy calling the plays to know what the QB can/is going to do. In my opinion, anyway. It has worked well for the Bison the past three years.

I know SIU already has an O-line coach, but gotta wonder if Lennon would bring Mussman over on the D side?

SDFS
January 4th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the info on DeBoer.

As I said, Hedberg was the head coach at St. Cloud when Rudolph was the OC. From his bio:

Gotta think Lennon will offer Hedberg the OC spot. That's the natural position for the QB's coach. You want the guy calling the plays to know what the QB can/is going to do. In my opinion, anyway. It has worked well for the Bison the past three years.

I know SIU already has an O-line coach, but gotta wonder if Lennon would bring Mussman over on the D side?

My mistake on SCSU HC vs OC with Hedberg previously. But, I think Hedberg is the QC at NDSU right now.. Muss could be going to SIU as OC - don't see him moving to the D side.

http://kfgo.com/blogs/so-many-opinions-so-little-time/953/randy-hedberg-could-be-headed-to-ndsu-as-assistant-coach/

MplsBison
January 5th, 2014, 12:04 PM
OK, wow. First of all, I love the hire. Absolutely NDSU will need someone working to develop the next QB.

I just would've thought that with Polasek coming in to be the OC - a guy who played QB very well in his day - he would want to be hands on with the QB's.

But then again at NDSU the offense is dominated by the running back, not the QB. So maybe that's why Polasek will be coaching RB's.

But I am shocked to see a guy from a UND friendly part of the state (Minot), who coached at both Minot *AND* at UND......AND he coached against NDSU for several years while at St Cloud not to mention while at SIU, leave the ex-UND coach Lennon hanging at NDSU's conference rival to come to the Bison and coach a kid from Bismarck to lead the herd.

Is there any possible way to shove more factors against Hedberg going to Fargo???

I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Bisonator
January 5th, 2014, 12:38 PM
OK, wow. First of all, I love the hire. Absolutely NDSU will need someone working to develop the next QB.

I just would've thought that with Polasek coming in to be the OC - a guy who played QB very well in his day - he would want to be hands on with the QB's.

But then again at NDSU the offense is dominated by the running back, not the QB. So maybe that's why Polasek will be coaching RB's.

But I am shocked to see a guy from a UND friendly part of the state (Minot), who coached at both Minot *AND* at UND......AND he coached against NDSU for several years while at St Cloud not to mention while at SIU, leave the ex-UND coach Lennon hanging at NDSU's conference rival to come to the Bison and coach a kid from Bismarck to lead the herd.

Is there any possible way to shove more factors against Hedberg going to Fargo???

I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Just from what I've heard, Randy's wife has some health issues and she has been in Fargo for awhile. Apparently this was a situation where he made a call to GT and worked out a friendship type deal for family reasons. I think it's going to be nice to have a guy just to work with Wentz and the other QB's.

underdawg
January 7th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Attention University Of North Dakota fans in the know--rumor has it that Your former head man Mussman may become SIU's new Offensive Coordinator! I know you are down on him as HC but wasn't he a heck of a an OC for Lennon for several very good years when Dale was at UND?

F'N Hawks
January 8th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Attention University Of North Dakota fans in the know--rumor has it that Your former head man Mussman may become SIU's new Offensive Coordinator! I know you are down on him as HC but wasn't he a heck of a an OC for Lennon for several very good years when Dale was at UND?

That would not be a bad deal, overall, for you guys. He can run an offense. He is somewhat lazy from everything I understand but then again, being an OC involves a hell of alot less work than being a head coach. He did not run the offense at UND but probably should have.

Look for a pro-style, RB-FB-TE type of offense. That is what he ran when he was OC.

Once again, it would not be a bad deal at all for you guys.

MplsBison
January 8th, 2014, 12:37 PM
That would not be a bad deal, overall, for you guys. He can run an offense. He is somewhat lazy from everything I understand but then again, being an OC involves a hell of alot less work than being a head coach. He did not run the offense at UND but probably should have.

Look for a pro-style, RB-FB-TE type of offense. That is what he ran when he was OC.

Once again, it would not be a bad deal at all for you guys.

Are you saying that Muss developed the offensive game plan each week but Lennon called the plays?

Also - a good article about heir-apparent QB at NDSU, Wentz eager to get to know Hedberg here: http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/422896/group/Sports/

There was to be no waiting around for the sophomore quarterback, who is in line to be the heir apparent to Brock Jensen. He wanted to talk football with Randy Hedberg.
“I’m excited for Randy to be around our guys, be around our quarterbacks,” Klieman said.
Hedberg and Wentz talked for about an hour later Sunday before Wentz went home for the remainder of semester break. They talked about fundamentals and leadership.

underdawg
January 8th, 2014, 12:50 PM
No Offense but Lennon at SIU lets the Coordinators call most of the plays at SIU---kind of like a CEO like Bohl was--so I suspect Muss would do the same here too.

bincitysioux
January 8th, 2014, 12:55 PM
I think Sioux meant that Mussman should have probably run the offense at North Dakota the last 6 years while he was head coach. The offense was his baby when he was OC here under Lennon.

He was a good coordinator. I think he'd do a good job as OC wherever he lands.

darell1976
January 9th, 2014, 07:44 AM
From SFI Tweet:
https://twitter.com/SiouxFootball

SiouxFootballInsider ‏@SiouxFootball 10h (https://twitter.com/SiouxFootball/status/421116015750037504) Hearing former #Purdue (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Purdue&src=hash) coach Kevin Maurice to join #UND (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23UND&src=hash) staff as RBs coach & recruiting coordinator. Coached on staff w/Tim Tibesar in 2012

Looks like a good grab by Bubba. UND's running game has been non-existent for the last few years and we need to get that going again to balance out our offense and get some TOP to help out the defense.

MplsBison
January 11th, 2014, 02:35 PM
I think Sioux meant that Mussman should have probably run the offense at North Dakota the last 6 years while he was head coach. The offense was his baby when he was OC here under Lennon.

He was a good coordinator. I think he'd do a good job as OC wherever he lands.

Gotcha, that makes sense.

I think it's tough sledding to act in a full HC role AND do all the game planning as an OC or DC. Calling the plays isn't too hard, if you know the scheme well, know the players well and have good experience & instincts of the game.

underdawg
January 11th, 2014, 06:27 PM
It looks like it will be Bill O'Brien as SIU's new OC not Mussman--all coaches should be announced early next week, probably Monday> Looks like SIU's new QB coach will be former 2007 QB Nick Hill.