PDA

View Full Version : Alabama defensive end, Georgia QB set to join JSU

DrStrangelove
December 23rd, 2013, 05:56 PM
Jacksonville State's football team is close to securing a pair of transfers from the Southeastern Conference, including Alabama sophomore LaMichael Fanning.

A JSU representative said Fanning and Georgia sophomore quarterback Christian LeMay have informed the Gamecocks' coaches they intend to transfer. The representative said nothing will be official until they enroll at JSU, and the spring semester doesn't begin until Jan. 2.

In addition, ESPN.com is reporting Georgia safety Shaquille Fluker is planning to transfer to JSU. All three players would have two years of eligibility each and be allowed to play in 2014.

Read more: Anniston Star - Alabama defensive end Georgia QB set to join JSU UGA safety could transfer too (http://www.annistonstar.com/view/full_story/24278699/article-Alabama-defensive-end--Georgia-QB-set-to-join-JSU--UGA-safety-could-transfer--too?instance=sports_top#ixzz2oLTtBbED)

centennial
December 23rd, 2013, 07:41 PM
Does JSU use lots of transfers?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 23rd, 2013, 07:46 PM
Pretty good programs those guys are coming from.

Big_Fan
December 23rd, 2013, 07:53 PM
Does JSU use lots of transfers?

Crowe was notorious for taking high risk superstars and riding them to wins - Perriloux and Washaun Ealey are probably most notable. It is too early to say with the new staff... it looks like they are going after FBS transfers to fill immediate need areas. Christian LeMay is a pocket passer with wheels, and can probably plug into the same role Eli Jenkins plays in our offense. He has a stronger arm and faster delivery than Eli or Max, but no real experience on the field... was a 4 or 5 star recruit, depending on which service you looked at. Having another QB with running ability might have made the difference against EW. We REALLY could have used a top notch safety, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Fanning at LB or Jack, which will be an area of need next year.

matfu
December 23rd, 2013, 07:55 PM
Wow! And Jax State was very good this year! They should be a force next year.

Big_Fan
December 23rd, 2013, 08:01 PM
Other than LB's and a TE, we return everyone... which makes me wonder if Fanning will be looked at as a TE... Bama experimented with him at TE after he had trouble gaining weight. 6'7"/270 is a bit thin for a lineman at Alabama.

Cocky
December 23rd, 2013, 09:43 PM
Shaquille Fluker could be headed to JSU too. Plus a few possible mid year OL/DL signees.

The Ville
December 23rd, 2013, 10:17 PM
I like the guys coming in, I did read where Alabama's player was suspended once, hopefully it was nothing big and it looks worse on his record than he actually is as a kid. I like high character guys, the team already has a lot on it, and I believe Clark likes those guys to so we'll see. If all goes well, the defense will very much be able to use the safety and up front guy. For Lemay at QB, we're bringing back a pretty strong core with Jenkins, and Shortell that gets discredited often. Not to mention West is as strong of a backup/3rd stringer you could ask for and Barber now is going to be competing after redshirting. A lot of people forget about him, but before Jenkins stepped up and Max transferred in he was going to be the guy of the future. We'll see... should be another fun year!

Cocky
December 23rd, 2013, 10:39 PM
Getting ex Saban players you never know the true reason for leaving. As they say they are processed.

TennBison
December 23rd, 2013, 10:41 PM
Wow! And Jax State was very good this year! They should be a force next year.
None of those guys were even starters, what makes you think they are going to help the team. Just because they were FBS does not mean squat, they were basically busts there for one reason or another. Maybe they can contribute some, but when was the last time a kid left a FBS program for reasons other than A) Not being good enough, or B) getting into trouble, and then made a big impact on the FCS school. Some of the Il schools in the MVC use (IMO a lot) of FBS transfers, and it gets them nowhere. Don't count on a program going anywhere just because of these transfers, NDSU gets request from these types of guys all the time and almost always turns them down. To the best of my knowledge NDSU has zero on the team right now. Not saying they can't play or don't deserve a chance, I'm just saying don't count on them being a program saver/boost.

Cocky
December 23rd, 2013, 10:59 PM
Lemay will have a tough time getting Jenkins job. But should add depth
Fanning was too light for DL at UAT or too slow for LB? If you've seen or D we can use the help and depth.
Fluker had medical issues at UGA he disagreed with as did his personal doctors. Lack of playing time had zero to do with ability. Should give us a safety who is strong and fast enough to play OLB and cover a slot receiver.

Of our transfers last year several did not finish the season with the team.

tomq04
December 24th, 2013, 12:51 AM
Bo Levi Mitchell and Kyle Padron were both starters and moved to EWU...i still don't understand why.

PaladinFan
December 24th, 2013, 05:23 AM
Look like good players. Still, as we all know, you could count the number of "impact" transfers from FBS programs on one hand, IMO.

Cocky
December 24th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Ingle Martin was one hand full.

blackbeard
December 24th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Many a football fan will remember this thug play from Fanning against Missouri:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhRQ-Yh1Svg

DrStrangelove
December 24th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Many a football fan will remember this thug play from Fanning against Missouri:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhRQ-Yh1Svg

Textbook belly-to-back suplex.

Cocky
December 24th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Ric Flair and Dusty Rhodes flashbacks

Skyhawk71
December 24th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Well, congrats to the Cocks, I guess, as we appear to be returning to our traditional crappy trip to Jacksonville.........maybe we will be the Homecoming game and I can meat the guys who dress up and run on the field, and watch the parade.............that would be alright, just hope I'm not rolling to B'ham at halftime...........:(

Redbirdz
December 24th, 2013, 03:18 PM
None of those guys were even starters, what makes you think they are going to help the team. Just because they were FBS does not mean squat, they were basically busts there for one reason or another. Maybe they can contribute some, but when was the last time a kid left a FBS program for reasons other than A) Not being good enough, or B) getting into trouble, and then made a big impact on the FCS school. Some of the Il schools in the MVC use (IMO a lot) of FBS transfers, and it gets them nowhere. Don't count on a program going anywhere just because of these transfers, NDSU gets request from these types of guys all the time and almost always turns them down. To the best of my knowledge NDSU has zero on the team right now. Not saying they can't play or don't deserve a chance, I'm just saying don't count on them being a program saver/boost.

These guys were 4-5 star players as high school recruits. I don't know of any school who wouldn't want them.

DrStrangelove
December 24th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Well, congrats to the Cocks, I guess, as we appear to be returning to our traditional crappy trip to Jacksonville.........maybe we will be the Homecoming game and I can meat the guys who dress up and run on the field, and watch the parade.............that would be alright, just hope I'm not rolling to B'ham at halftime...........:(

Grab a burger at Cecil's, some wings at Jefferson's, or some BBQ at the Rocket. And we need the Skyhawks to be better in 2014, too. Let's make the OVC the best football conference it can be.

Cocky
December 24th, 2013, 04:37 PM
As long as Simpson stays UTM will be good.

DrStrangelove
December 24th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Ric Flair and Dusty Rhodes flashbacks

underdawg
December 25th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Brandon Jacobs, Arkee Whitlock, Larry Warner,Damon Jones, Deji Karim were just a few of the transfers that were all-conference and/or all-american performers for siu in the last 10 years--without any off the field problems--freshmen have the same probability of problems or lack of performance as transfers.

TennBison
December 25th, 2013, 07:24 AM
These guys were 4-5 star players as high school recruits. I don't know of any school who wouldn't want them.
So what, Ryan Leaf was the first pick of the NFL draft back in the day, how did he make out. Just because they are a highly recruited player does not mean they are going to do well in college or any level. Just don't look at them like they are gods coming into a program and all will be great because of it.

blueballs
December 25th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Lemay has languished and been passed over on UGA's depth chart, so he obviously isn't as good as advertised.

The two defensive players should be able to contribute immediately and should be good pick ups.

Catatonic
December 25th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Lemay has languished and been passed over on UGA's depth chart, so he obviously isn't as good as advertised.

The two defensive players should be able to contribute immediately and should be good pick ups.

LeMay got in a little trouble after his junior year in high school, transferred to another hs and did not play as a senior. He has been a disappointment at UGA and is buried in the depth chart not only behind scholarship QB's but a walk on. He has some speed...so maybe he could contribute as a Receiver or kick returner.

As you say, don't look for any help as a QB.

Cocky
December 25th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Lemay may or may not be able to play but Richt can misjudge. Nick Marshal has been decent for the team south of JSU. Richt had him playing db.

blueballs
December 25th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Lemay may or may not be able to play but Richt can misjudge. Nick Marshal has been decent for the team south of JSU. Richt had him playing db.

FWIW Richt recruited Marshall as a QB but Marshall saw that he wasn't going to beat out Aaron Murray so he volunteered to move to DB.

Now Cam Newton is another story... Richt recruited him as a TE.

Cocky
December 25th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Not playing QB at UGA has worked out for several players. Playing behind Murray doesn't mean your a terrible QB as he is decent himself. Anyways he will have his hands full beating out Jenkins at JSU.

Big_Fan
December 25th, 2013, 10:16 AM
LeMay got in a little trouble after his junior year in high school, transferred to another hs and did not play as a senior. He has been a disappointment at UGA and is buried in the depth chart not only behind scholarship QB's but a walk on. He has some speed...so maybe he could contribute as a Receiver or kick returner.

As you say, don't look for any help as a QB.

LeMay has reportedly had problems picking up the offense at UGA while playing behind an experienced QB who rewrote the record books. They have not been very accommodating with the offense because of their wealth at the position. At JSU he won't have those issues. He was not a 4*-5* QB for no reason.

Catatonic
December 25th, 2013, 01:28 PM

Marshall was dismissed from Georgia after stealing from his teammates. And, yes, Richt had him playing DB. Marshall's QB skill set did not fit UGA's pro style offense. He switched because Marshall was too good an athlete to play behind Murray for three years.

If you wanna think LeMay is the next Nic Marshall, who am I to burst your bubble.

DrStrangelove
December 25th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Whether LeMay is the next Nic Marshall is irrelevant. Whether any of these three transfers enroll or even see significant playing time next fall is also irrelevant. Simply being on the radar screen of some 4- and 5-star BCS-caliber athletes looking for a change of scenery is a win for JSU. Because it makes it a little easier to land the next BCS-caliber athlete who can step in and make a significant contribution down the road, the way Ryan Perriloux did some years back.

Cocky
December 25th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Marshall was dismissed from Georgia after stealing from his teammates. And, yes, Richt had him playing DB. Marshall's QB skill set did not fit UGA's pro style offense. He switched because Marshall was too good an athlete to play behind Murray for three years.

If you wanna think LeMay is the next Nic Marshall, who am I to burst your bubble.

Auburn has a good record with "stealing" QBs.

Are you saying Lemay can't play QB? I've never seen him play but UGA does let a few good ones leave.

The Ville
December 25th, 2013, 05:08 PM
I agree that it doesn't mean they'll help just from coming from big schools, but don't throw out Ryan Leaf as an example, it would be just as easy to say well we've got a guy No one cares about and he'll soon be one of the best ever (Tom Brady) It's obvious that analyzing skills has been flawed before.

To be honest with our QBs returning, I don't even really care if we got LeMay. But I'm sure with his athletic skills he'll be worked into the game plans somehow.

Catatonic
December 26th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Auburn has a good record with "stealing" QBs.

Are you saying Lemay can't play QB? I've never seen him play but UGA does let a few good ones leave.

LSU and Auburn sent UGA thank you notes. Mettenberger and Marshall ar both former Dawgs. All I am saying about LeMay is that the has been passed on depth chart by the other scholarship and walk on QBs.