PDA

View Full Version : Rushing the field.

IBleedYellow
December 23rd, 2013, 05:40 PM
So, question. The past two FCS Title games NDSU fans have rushed the field. Hell, in the second one the staff at Frisco actually were HELPING people down and had extra stairs setup. I've never heard if NDSU was fined for this, but this article made me curious. Has any other institution been fined for rushing the field after the fact? Special circumstances due to the National Title game???

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10173551/sec-fines-schools-cowbells-rushing-field

NoDak 4 Ever
December 23rd, 2013, 05:42 PM
So, question. The past two FCS Title games NDSU fans have rushed the field. Hell, in the second one the staff at Frisco actually were HELPING people down and had extra stairs setup. I've never heard if NDSU was fined for this, but this article made me curious. Has any other institution been fined for rushing the field after the fact? Special circumstances due to the National Title game???

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10173551/sec-fines-schools-cowbells-rushing-field

That appears to reference a SEC rule, not necessarily one by the NCAA. Some were speculating in 2011 when Jim O'Day looked like he was filming things on his phone. You're right, they were not only allowing but helping people down on the field. In fact, the ceremony was on the stage so you could only really see it on the field.

Pyroshane
December 23rd, 2013, 06:32 PM
I am sure if NDSU was fined, they felt it was worth it.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-oQrqz6fQ52Y/Ue382bPF8QI/AAAAAAAAE-I/LMiWlIdBAsY/w1012-h760/IMG_20130105_154054-MOTION.gif

eaglewraith
December 23rd, 2013, 06:38 PM
We got bitched at for rushing the field against Wofford in 2010.

Funny thing was, the promos for the playoffs that year had shots of our fans rushing the field in our last couple of championship wins. Gotta love the NCAA.

IBleedYellow
December 23rd, 2013, 07:52 PM

Funny thing was, the promos for the playoffs that year had shots of our fans rushing the field in our last couple of championship wins. Gotta love the NCAA.

Thank you! I knew that GSU got bitched at, and I wanted to hear it from one of you guys. What ever happened from it? Did they fine you? Stop? Anything?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 23rd, 2013, 07:53 PM

Awesome avatar!!

+ rep for just having that!!!

Bisonator
December 23rd, 2013, 08:25 PM

That came from the SOCON though didn't it. I think this is policed by each conference? Or does it relate back to the axe incident? I don't see anything in the NCAA specifically against it. Anyone got a link?

swaghook
December 23rd, 2013, 08:28 PM
We've been on the field both years and they opened the gates at the stairs so we could do so.

eaglewraith
December 23rd, 2013, 09:57 PM
Thank you! I knew that GSU got bitched at, and I wanted to hear it from one of you guys. What ever happened from it? Did they fine you? Stop? Anything?

That came from the SOCON though didn't it. I think this is policed by each conference? Or does it relate back to the axe incident? I don't see anything in the NCAA specifically against it. Anyone got a link?

No it came from the NCAA. The playoffs are NCAA hosted events so they're the ruling authority for anything playoff related. We were threatened that we would lose the rights to host home games, but other than that no there was no punishment.

We've had issues with the NCAA in the past, a barrier was actually erected in our student section for quite a few years to separate the students from the visiting team due to complaints in the past.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 23rd, 2013, 09:59 PM
EWu fans would have rushed the field for almost winning the game on Saturday but it was cold so all 17 of them went out for "Cock" tails and spotted dick instead.

JayJ79
December 23rd, 2013, 10:32 PM
remember a few years ago in Chatty when App State fans started leaving the stands and crowding the sidelines with like 2 minutes or more left to play in the game?
That was a bit excessive

tomq04
December 24th, 2013, 07:52 AM
When we played the Griz in 2010, we rushed the field and the fans were penalized had the leave the field and MT was given another play. Took a long time (10-15 minutes), pretty sure the last play went incomplete and we rushed the field again.

Hammerhead
December 24th, 2013, 10:54 AM
I doubt the NCAA would complain about fans rushing the field for the championship game. Even back in 1986, we rushed the field after the D-II championship game. They did have a few mounted police around the goalposts to make sure they didn't get pulled down, I guess.

We've been on the field both years and they opened the gates at the stairs so we could do so.

IBleedYellow
December 24th, 2013, 11:04 AM
I doubt the NCAA would complain about fans rushing the field for the championship game. Even back in 1986, we rushed the field after the D-II championship game. They did have a few mounted police around the goalposts to make sure they didn't get pulled down, I guess.

The Frisco staff do a good job of policing the goal posts, near as I remember you couldn't get too close to them.

Hammerhead
December 24th, 2013, 11:09 AM
I didn't even notice in Frisco. We were sitting at the end zone in 2011 and didn't even think about the goalpost. By the time we decided to join the party we couldn't get closer than the 30 yard line at the other end. :)

The Frisco staff do a good job of policing the goal posts, near as I remember you couldn't get too close to them.

walliver
December 27th, 2013, 08:34 AM
The sledgehammer incident is the reason for the ban, but the NCAA generally looks the other way (especially if ESPN likes it). I suspect GSU got dinged because they were on the double top secret probation list. ;)

There are a lot of playoff rules the NCAA chooses not to enforce. In fact, even though all but the championship games are "hosted" by a participating school, the NCAA considers them neutral site games, and bans the use of cannons, sirens, and other home field advantages, although to the best of my knowledge this has never been enforced and the policy has effectively been forgotten.

darell1976
December 27th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Another stupid rule by the NCAA. I remember fans ripping the goal post at Memorial Stadium in 1993 after UND broke the 12 year losing streak to NDSU, I have never seen that done in person. I suppose if the NCAA says don't rip down the goal post you can still rush the field, it would be okay, but are they worried about people getting trampled? Its done in basketball all the time.

Nickels
December 27th, 2013, 09:09 AM
McNeese fans rushed the field after beating the 4th place SLC team this year. Pretty pathetic.

Any semi-final or championship win is an acceptable reason to rush the field.

edit- oops, actually only a few McNeese rushed the field. i was thinking more about about the gatorade shower, which I believe should be reserved for rushing the field moments, if not only championships.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 27th, 2013, 09:13 AM
McNeese fans rushed the field after beating the 4th place SLC team this year. Pretty pathetic.

That would never happen at the Fargodome.

Nickels
December 27th, 2013, 09:54 AM
That would never happen at the Fargodome.

Meh.. Maybe ya'll should. Since the final is on a neutral field, the semi final would be only time to rush the field at home.

It was certainly a great moment for me and the rest of the SHSU students in 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdC9X0_NHnU

BisonFan02
December 27th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Meh.. Maybe ya'll should. Since the final is on a neutral field, the semi final would be only time to rush the field at home.

It was certainly a great moment for me and the rest of the SHSU students in 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdC9X0_NHnU

That would be true if the final was actually a "neutral" field. :D

Nickels
December 27th, 2013, 10:01 AM
That would be true if the final was actually a "neutral" field. :D

At least it wasn't as bad as it's going to be this year.

IBleedYellow
December 27th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Since going FCS I believe the only time NDSU has rushed the field has been in Frisco.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

McNeese72
December 27th, 2013, 06:29 PM

edit- oops, actually only a few McNeese rushed the field. i was thinking more about about the gatorade shower, which I believe should be reserved for rushing the field moments, if not only championships.

Actually, no McNeese fans at all rushed the field. There is a 10 minute period after the game before any fans are allowed on the field.

As far as the Gatorade shower, that was stupid and Coach Viator was not happy about it.

Doc

McNeese72
December 27th, 2013, 06:35 PM
I can only remember three times where the McNeese fans rushed the field and the goalposts came down. In 1976 when we beat USL in front of the stadium record crowd to send us to the very first Independence Bowl. In a playoff game in 1997 when we beat Montana in the last minute or so. And lastly in 1992 when we beat Nova in the semifinal to go to Chattanooga.

Doc

TwinCitiesBison
December 27th, 2013, 11:06 PM
I was at the Metrodome when the visiting Iowa fans rushed the field after the game and tore down the goalposts...again, on the road in the opponent's stadium. Of course, their fans also spent much of the game fornicating in the bathroom stalls. And THAT, my friends, is all you'll ever need to know about Iowa and Gopher football. And people in the Cities wonder why I'm a Bison fan...

Mr. C
December 28th, 2013, 12:59 AM
EWu fans would have rushed the field for almost winning the game on Saturday but it was cold so all 17 of them went out for "Cock" tails and spotted dick instead.
In all seriousness, the EWU fans leaving the game as I left the press box on Saturday were some of the quietest I have ever seen after a game. They looked stunned beyond belief. There was almost zero conversation as these folks walked to the parking lot.

Mr. C
December 28th, 2013, 01:06 AM
remember a few years ago in Chatty when App State fans started leaving the stands and crowding the sidelines with like 2 minutes or more left to play in the game?
That was a bit excessive
They were actually invited down by the security folks. True story.

My favorite rushing the field story was when Western Carolina fans rushed the field in one end zone and took down the goal post while the game was still going on in the Battle For The Old Mountain Jug in 2004. They actually had the goal posts on the playing field as Appalachian State was trying to make it down on its final drive. WCU was given a 15-yard penalty and it gave ASU's Julian Rauch an attempt for about a 50-yard field goal on the final play — a kick he narrowly missed short. 2004 CSN Offensive Player of the Year and Payton Award finalist DaVon Fowlkes also dropped a deep pass that could have gone for a TD moments before the kick.

BEAR
December 28th, 2013, 11:07 PM
I don't think our fans ever rushed the field. That would require an ounce of passion for the game and actual fans in the stands. ( hashtag truth hurts ) xlolx

NoDak 4 Ever
December 29th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Apparently the futility here at Kansas has gone on so long that when they beat West Virginia earlier this year for their first conference win in 3 years. they tore down the goalposts. They didn't quite know what to do with them so they threw them in the campus lake.

http://cjonline.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/superphoto/12819701.jpg

blueballs
December 29th, 2013, 11:06 AM
The GSU Fans rushed the field in Chatty after the 1999 title game. One of the guys I tailgate with meandered his way onto the field, kinda blended in, and managed to infiltrate the GSU locker room. He joined the celebration with the players and coaches, heard Paul Johnson's speech and the senior captains speak, and got the autograph of every player and coach on the game program. He was in there for a good half hour... I was worried that he'd gotten arrested.

IBleedYellow
December 29th, 2013, 11:47 AM
The GSU Fans rushed the field in Chatty after the 1999 title game. One of the guys I tailgate with meandered his way onto the field, kinda blended in, and managed to infiltrate the GSU locker room. He joined the celebration with the players and coaches, heard Paul Johnson's speech and the senior captains speak, and got the autograph of every player and coach on the game program. He was in there for a good half hour... I was worried that he'd gotten arrested.

Legendary.

Twentysix
December 29th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Legendary.

In a way it's legendary.
But, it's also kind of pathetic.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 31st, 2013, 06:49 PM
Red&Black with more negative rep, hes such a douche..........................I challenge the users and especially the NDSU fan base who he has been bashing and neg repping to give him a solid red bar.

You guys can do this.

clenz
January 1st, 2014, 10:15 PM
I was at the Metrodome when the visiting Iowa fans rushed the field after the game and tore down the goalposts...again, on the road in the opponent's stadium. Of course, their fans also spent much of the game fornicating in the bathroom stalls. And THAT, my friends, is all you'll ever need to know about Iowa and Gopher football. And people in the Cities wonder why I'm a Bison fan...

Minnesota is a **** program

Iowa is a ****ty fan base

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

JSUBison
January 1st, 2014, 11:02 PM

I will forward this post to Lakes.

Pard4Life
January 2nd, 2014, 05:09 PM
Rushing the field/court PI$$E$ ME OFF!!! NOBODY EVER DOES IT PROPERLY ANYMORE!!!!!

Everyone is trying to have an ESPN moment!!!

Case in point: Princeton beat a ranked Harvard team at Princeton in a close basketball game, and the Princeton students rushed the court. WHY?!??! The win did not clinch a championship. It was not the last game of the year. It was not the last home game. Sure Harvard was ranked, but Princeton had an identical record in league in conference play (or Princeton had one league loss, can't recall). And to make matters worse, Harvard HAD NOT WON IN PRINCETON SINCE THE 1980s!!!!

Lehigh has pulled the same crap. Ok, I can see 2008 and 2009, when Lehigh won after a long drought and a huge upset, OT win. But 2010, 2011, 2012??? No reason whatsoever for rushing the field!!!

I've seen it happen numerous times on ESPN too, football and basketball... once when a ranked team beat an unranked team... awful...

Pard4Life
January 2nd, 2014, 05:12 PM
I can see NDSU fans rushing the field after they win... it is the national title... BUT, they've done it before, so, I don't know... act like you've been there before I'd say... but, it wouldn't be that big a deal if the fans did..

clenz
January 2nd, 2014, 05:32 PM
I can see NDSU fans rushing the field after they win... it is the national title... BUT, they've done it before, so, I don't know... act like you've been there before I'd say... but, it wouldn't be that big a deal if the fans did..
So...you're saying that this game (from Northern Iowa) doesn't warrant a court storm?

Background before the video

Game is vs number 12 Creighton
Creighton is/was a huge rival of UNI.
Creighton is coached by a former UNI player and head coach (who called UNI his dream job less than a week before leaving for Iowa State)
That same coach then bailed at Iowa State, before getting fired, to go to Creighton. In the process he took his son...you may have heard of Doug McDermot...who had sign a LOI with UNI.
The conference waived the "transfer rule" that would have applied to this situation and made Doug sit for 2 years before UNI had a chance to even acknowledge that Doug was being released from his LOI.
This was Doug, and his fathers, third straight loss AT UNI. With Creighton leaving the conference it mean that Doug and Greg would be WINLESS in the McLeod Center, which opened the year after Greg left.

Now, for the video

UNI up by 3 with 9.2 seconds left....I'll let you enjoy the video...SPEAKER/HEADPHONE WARNING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8e2rPmR07Y

clenz
January 2nd, 2014, 05:37 PM
Then again...maybe that wasn't warranted...

because 2 weeks later we did it again when we knocked off #15 Wichita State - who went to the final 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTrcwuNwcGU

- - - Updated - - -

Then again...maybe...that one was unwarranted too because less than 2 weeks later we beat a ranked Creighton team AT Creighton...

You're right...UNI should stop storming the court because beating ranked teams is what we do.

clenz
January 2nd, 2014, 05:38 PM
Then again...you'd probably think rushing the court - if it was allowed at this game - after this game would be "doing it wrong"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzUFz-58PPA

Probably right, since we lead Kansas for 39 minutes for 45 seconds of the game...