PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Win Ever

dudeitsaid
December 22nd, 2013, 10:38 PM
I posted a thread about worst loss you've ever experienced as a fan. That's what comes to my mind most readily after yesterday. But what about greatest win? Is there a win that really stands out as the height of your fan experience?

For an Eagles fan, obviously, our lone NC win was the height for me, though many wins that season, as well as the Oregon State game this year are very, very close.

What about you?

Wilson16
December 22nd, 2013, 10:51 PM
The first of the two Bison FCS championships. Very close behind was the win over Georgia Southern in the semis last year. The best (and loudest) game I've been to and was probably the true title game. If that game is played at GSU in think the score goes the other way.

dewey
December 22nd, 2013, 10:55 PM
Best game was anyone of the NDSU 10 national championships. The last two were very special to me as I got to see them in person.

Dewey

Milkman
December 23rd, 2013, 12:09 AM
If it's any sport I'd have to say twins tigers game 163 2009. I was at that game and I've never felt such an emotional roller coaster. All factors, fighting for playoff spot vs a rival in what could have been the last game in the metro dome. And everything that they had to do to even get to that spot. Then it's an insane game on top of thay

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yotes
December 23rd, 2013, 12:12 AM
Beating EWU fresh off their title was pretty exhilarating :p

Our win over Minnesota the year prior is my favorite though.

DJKyR0
December 23rd, 2013, 01:17 AM
The win over GSU in 2012. The build-up, the excellent nature of the game itself, the dramatic touchdown on 4th and 3 from the 5, the absolute incredulity of the decision to kick it with the inexperienced kicker, the elation in the tailgate lot after the game, sharing beers with the QBs dad at Chubs in Fargo later. Bought a round of shots for a few players there and had the chance to shoot ***** with them for a while. Just such a cool night in all, and as a win I think to this day that that GSU team is the single best team we've played since going D-I. The titles are great, but in terms of some kind of aggregation of: a.) Best team overall b.) importance of game in scope of the season and c.) just the FUN of it all, GSU III takes it all.

Go...gate
December 23rd, 2013, 01:34 AM
The games I would select, not in any particular order (though I believe the two I-AA playoff games deserve greater weight):

1965 - Colgate 29, Army 28

1977 - Colgate 23, Rutgers 0

1978 - Colgate 14, Rutgers 9

2003 - Colgate 28, Western Illinois 27 (I-AA Quarterfinal)

2003 - Colgate 36, Florida Atlantic 24 (I-AA Semifinal)

Since a few posters added games from some other sports, I will too:

NFL - Super Bowl III, Super Bowl V and Super Bowl XXI (loved Namath and the AFL Jets, the old Baltimore Colts and became a Giants fan in 1976 after the Jets disgracefully dumped Namath like a piece of garbage).

MLB - Games 4 and 5 of the 1969 World Series, Games 6 and 7 of the 1986 World Series and Game 5 of the 1999 NLCS - the latter truly a baseball game for the ages that neither the Mets nor Atlanta deserved to lose.

NBA - Game 7 of the 1969-70 NBA Finals and Game 5 of the 1972-73 NBA Finals (Knicks over LA both times)

NHL - Game 7 of the Cup Finals when the Rangers defeated Vancouver.

NDSUBowler
December 23rd, 2013, 01:53 AM
If it's any sport I'd have to say twins tigers game 163 2009. I was at that game and I've never felt such an emotional roller coaster. All factors, fighting for playoff spot vs a rival in what could have been the last game in the metro dome. And everything that they had to do to even get to that spot. Then it's an insane game on top of thay

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I was at this game too and actually was just watching videos of it 2 days ago! 5 hours, 12 innings, every half inning being a high-leverage situation...just SO tense.

It is probably in a deadlock tie with NDSU's 1st FCS title a few years ago for me.

My entire life as far as I can remember back (from age 5-6ish in 1992) none of my teams I had ever rooted for had ever won a championship and I am a DIEHARD for all my favorites so to finally get to experience a title for the first time was just so so so special to me.

Other best games I've ever been to:
-NDSU over GSU last year in semis

-NDSU's 2nd FCS title

-NDSU over KSU...sooooo intense and amazing to go and do what they did.

-Wisconsin vs OSU in Madison in 2010 when Wisc beat #1 OSU. Opening kickoff went to the house and whole place went INSANE. Gameday was in town and the whole weekend was a party and everyone rushed field. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8SfDAkdVl4

-Arizona Cardinals vs SD in 1998. Last week of season needed to win to get into playoffs. SD scored with 16 seconds left to tie and AZ went down and got FG at end. Fans stormed field and tore down goalposts, which I have NEVER seen at a NFL game before...hahaha.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkVZFIlJKCs

-Boston Red Sox vs Oakland A's in 2002 (few days before Oakland's 22 game win streak). Manny Ramirez came up down 3-2 with 2 on and 2 outs in 9th and hit a ball that was going to go over fence for walkoff and Terrence Long reached over fence to make game saving, game winning, home run robbing catch...ahhhhhh was so fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeQe4sfUdO4

I'm glad I get the chance to go to random games whenever I can...makes for great memories...

Thanks for giving me a chance to look up all these videos again!

EDIT: These were games I was actually AT...

If I had to add extra games for greatest sporting moments, I'd toss out USA over Algeria in WC 2010 as my favorite tv moment as I'm a HUGE USA soccer fan.

thebootfitter
December 23rd, 2013, 01:54 AM
I think for any Bison fan, the K-State win has to rank somewhere near the top. It represents such a culmination of collective effort for the group of outstanding seniors and was an opening to truly the next level of media attention, etc., but just the excitement of that game as a fan alone makes it a great one in my book.

Tribal
December 23rd, 2013, 04:51 AM
In recent years, W&M's 26-14 win at UVA in 2009.

Equally, coming back from 21 down in the 4th quarter to beat UD in OT...2004 playoff game to boot. From depression to cloud nine in 30 minutes.

JimLU
December 23rd, 2013, 04:56 AM
If it's any sport..........Lehigh over Duke very tough to beat in NCAA bball tournament March 2012, particularly from a national media perspective. A zillion dollars in pr value as well.

darell1976
December 23rd, 2013, 05:57 AM
Winning the DII National Championship after coming back from behind to beat Grand Valley State. Converting on 4th down with 55 seconds left then the receiver took the ball on a simple pass over the middle to the 1 yard line it was incredible.

UIWWildthing
December 23rd, 2013, 07:32 AM
FCS related Saturday of course is #1, until 1/4 when we shock the FCS world :)
Outside of FCS I have a few games:
Last year's AFC divisional playoff in Denver or the "F-Bomb" from Joe Flacco to Jacoby Jones.
Game 2 2012 ALDS against the Yankees. It was the first home playoff win for the Orioles in 15 years and was the cap to my favorite season of Oriole baseball ever.
Game 3 2003 MISL Finals in Milwaukee. I was lucky enough to go see the Baltimore Blast play in Milwaukee in the 3rd and final game for the championship, and they trailed 12-5 going into the 4th quarter (multi-point scoring, DON'T get me started!)The Blast came back made it 13-12 with about 6 minutes to go, then made stop after stop to their first title in 19 years, and first of 6 titles in 10 years.

tomq04
December 23rd, 2013, 08:44 AM
Seahawks winning superbowl 40....oh wait.

:(

blueballs
December 23rd, 2013, 08:52 AM
The entire 1985 playoff run for GSU... it put the GSU football program on the map, cemented the legend of Erk Russell, and put Tracy Ham in the College Football Hall of Fame.

McNeese72
December 23rd, 2013, 09:03 AM
There has been a lot of great wins but two back to back wins come to mind easily. One was the last minute 20-19 win over most hated USL to get us into the first Independence Bowl in 1976. The crowd in that game still holds the Cowboy Stadium record for attendance.

And then, because we had a lot of fifth year seniors and fifth year seniors were not allowed to participate in the bowl games back then, we weren't given a chance in hell of beating Tulsa in that Independence Bowl. One of the Shreveport papers had a column saying that McNeese was bringing their "JV" team to play in that game. Our FB, Oliver Hadnot, broke a run near the end of that game and we won 20-16. I still have a mental picture of that run.

Our local paper ran the story with the head line that the McNeese JV's beat Tulsa (or something like that). A framed copy hangs up in the Field House to this day.

ASUMountaineer
December 23rd, 2013, 09:06 AM
It goes without saying, but beating Michigan in 2007. A very close second is beating UNI for our first title in 2005.

skinny_uncle
December 23rd, 2013, 09:40 AM
It has to be either the 1983 1AA title game or the 1967 win over nationally ranked Tulsa.

Skyhawk71
December 23rd, 2013, 09:44 AM
I'll go with the incredible upset victory over the unbeatable Tennessee-Chattanooga Mocs this season........................................xlol x

Tubakat2014
December 23rd, 2013, 09:56 AM
Number one for me has to be the game against Montana two years ago. Watching Flanders almost single-handedly drain that clock down and being surrounded by a stadium full of energetic fans (yes, at Bowers) was just exhilarating. And then the fans rushing the field- somewhere, a picture exists of the fan-filled field where our aging AD is visibly jumping for joy. That day will always have a special place in my heart, even if the Kats pull off a championship win down the road.

I wasn't physically present for this non-FCS win, but a close second has to be from my days at Blinn when the team won the junior college championship with Cam Newton at the helm. The game came down to a punt return taken to the house with about 30 seconds left in the game. The announcer's fateful words prior to the play? "Don't rule out a punt return..."

IBleedYellow
December 23rd, 2013, 10:59 AM
SHSU @ NDSU back in 2007. My Dad and I had to go to a wedding before the game, so we were in our suits while at the game before the reception. After Rhett Bomar throws the touchdown to go up with about a minute left my Dad says "we should probably leave." I instantly yell back "It's not over until Steve Walker says so!" Two passes later and NDSU is in the endzone.

K State Game

FCS Title #1

FCS Title #2

GSU Game from 2012. That was so intense that game.

Gil Dobie
December 23rd, 2013, 11:19 AM
Top Wins for the Bison since 2000

2003 - Montana, first win over a I-AA school after announcing move from D2
2004 - Valpo, first I-AA victory as a I-AA school
2006 - Ball St, first FBS win
2007 - Central Michigan, first win over FBS bowl team
2007 - Minnesota, first win over B1G team
2010 - Kansas, first win over Big Twelve team
2010 - Robert Morris, first playoff win
2011 - Sam Houston St, first National Championship
2012 - Sam Houston St, 2nd National Championship
2013 - Kansas St, win over highest rated opponent

Grizalltheway
December 23rd, 2013, 11:37 AM
1. 1995 over the Blundering Turds at their place.
2. 2001 over Furman.
3. 2008 over JMU.

Mountaineer
December 23rd, 2013, 11:51 AM
http://www.boonencmagazine.com/images/sportsillustratedcover.jpg

Also:

Furman: Miracle on the Mountain
JMU: 2007 Playoffs
UNI: First National Title
UMass and Delaware: 2 & 3 over the CAA. xsmugx

Bisonator
December 23rd, 2013, 01:46 PM
For me the greatest win as an NDSU fan was the 2011 Championship. That was just a great feeling to cap off the move to FCS with that first Championship!

As a sports fan I would have to say game 6 of the '91 World Series between Minnesota Twins and Atlanta Braves. I was 18 and got to watch Kirby Puckett send it to game 7 with a walkoff homer!

SFA 93
December 23rd, 2013, 02:02 PM
2013: SFA upset win over #2 Montana State 52-38
1996: SFA defeats Troy 13-10. Troy goes 12-2-0 and makes semifinals that season.
1995: SFA defeats undefeated Appalachian State 27-17 in the playoffs.
1994: SFA ties Youngstown State 10-10. States only stumble in a 14-0-1 National Championship season.
1993: SFA finally defeats Boise State 30-7 after 4 straight loses to the Broncos.
1993: SFA defeats Youngstown State 35-15. State goes on to finish 13-2-0 and wins the National Championship that season.
1991: SFA (1-6-0) upset win over ranked Sam Houston State (5-0-1) 13-3.

Gil Dobie
December 23rd, 2013, 02:08 PM
Curious, were there any all-time great NDSU victories during the Babich era?
Defeats yes

lionsrking2
December 23rd, 2013, 02:14 PM
Southeastern Louisiana

Chronological order:

1950: SLU 6, Auburn 0 - First and only win over an SEC opponent
1954: SLU 20, Southern Miss 7 - Biggest hurdle on way to undefeated 9-0 season.
1980: SLU 17, Boise State 13 - First win in our first game as a I-AA program vs eventual National Champion - on the road at that.
2003: SLU 22, Arkansas-Monticello - First game back after 18 year hiatus.
2004: SLU 51, McNeese State 17 - First win vs a ranked opponent after return of football.
2009: SLU 51, Texas State 50 - Lions come from 24 down with 8 minutes left to play to defeat ranked Texas State for first time ever ... leading to three straight wins over the Bobcats.
2012: SLU 25, McNeese State 24 - First win of Ron Roberts era.
2013: SLU 34, Sam Houston 21 - Lions clinch first ever playoff berth and share of SLC championship - would win title outright following week vs Nicholls.
2013: SLU 30, Sam Houston 29 - Lions win first playoff game in program's history.

darell1976
December 23rd, 2013, 02:23 PM
Curious, were there any all-time great NDSU victories during the Babich era?
Defeats yes

2000 vs UND.xsmiley_wix

Darlinikki150
December 23rd, 2013, 02:35 PM
Not football, but Kirby Puckett's walk off Homer in the 6 game.

Laettner shot to win go Duke!

NDSU v Georgia Southern, Frick that game was crazy!!!!!

UIWWildthing
December 23rd, 2013, 02:44 PM

Puckett's homer was part of the greatest World Series I've ever seen.

fmrbearkat
December 23rd, 2013, 02:49 PM
I would say for SHSU it would be our 2004 over EWU which I would also assume was y'all's worst loss! Video brings back some great memories!!!

http://youtu.be/dqpp4BhO4V8

darell1976
December 23rd, 2013, 03:02 PM

Puckett's homer was awesome!! I still have the Wheaties box with the WS Champion Twins on it from 1991.

Gil Dobie
December 23rd, 2013, 03:04 PM
Antonio Freeman immaculate deflection vs Vikings on Monday night football.

Thumper76
December 23rd, 2013, 03:33 PM
Beating EWU fresh off their title was pretty exhilarating :p

Our win over Minnesota the year prior is my favorite though.

Suprised you didnt say your first DI win vs SDSU......oops, nevermind

Red & Black
December 23rd, 2013, 03:59 PM
I posted a thread about worst loss you've ever experienced as a fan. That's what comes to my mind most readily after yesterday. But what about greatest win? Is there a win that really stands out as the height of your fan experience?

For an Eagles fan, obviously, our lone NC win was the height for me, though many wins that season, as well as the Oregon State game this year are very, very close.

What about you?

I'll go with:

1.) The NC game.
2.) Oregon State, since we came so close to beating Pac-12 competition the previous 2 years. Was nice to finally get over that hump.

UIWWildthing
December 23rd, 2013, 06:20 PM
Antonio Freeman was a senior at Poly in high school in Baltimore when I was a freshman

Wilson16
December 23rd, 2013, 06:22 PM
The first of the two Bison FCS championships. Very close behind was the win over Georgia Southern in the semis last year. The best (and loudest) game I've been to and was probably the true title game. If that game is played at GSU in think the score goes the other way.

I was at that game unfortunately as a Viking fan :(

dudeitsaid
December 23rd, 2013, 06:40 PM
It goes without saying, but beating Michigan in 2007. A very close second is beating UNI for our first title in 2005.

Man, that is one of the greatest wins of all time! That would have been amazing to be a part of!

eaglewraith
December 23rd, 2013, 06:43 PM

And any amount of good will I had toward NDSU fans is gone :(

- - - Updated - - -

Mine is easy.

Just look at the avatar.

Big_Fan
December 23rd, 2013, 06:43 PM
2010 Beating Ole Miss in the grove was nice... they tanked after that, but Ole Miss was 9-4 and beat OK. State in the Cotton Bowl in 2009 - and was expected to decent in 2010.

1992 Beating Pitt St. in the D2 title game was fun. Pitt St. was 14-0 and had beaten UND, NDSU, and Portland State in the playoffs before we took them out. It was payback for taking us out the previous season in the finals and ruining our perfect season.

Even though we pretty much own Samford from the dawn of time, beating them in the playoffs this year to get the 0-fer monkey off of our back in Coach Clark's first season was nice - as was the second round win to get rid of the 0-fer McNeese.

The total demolition of EKU was special. EKU had our number with Crowe as coach.

Darlinikki150
December 23rd, 2013, 07:53 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Mine is easy.

Just look at the avatar.

Wat the hell? That was an amazing series, if u like baseball at all. Cmon man!!"

aces1180
December 23rd, 2013, 09:30 PM

Ron Gant/Kent Hrbek xlolx

The Twins even made a bobble head out of it!

http://www.startribune.com/local/117523488.html

eaglewraith
December 23rd, 2013, 09:37 PM
Wat the hell? That was an amazing series, if u like baseball at all. Cmon man!!"

Amazing series, but damn.

Gil Dobie
December 23rd, 2013, 10:37 PM
Ron Gant/Kent Hrbek xlolx

The Twins even made a bobble head out of it!

http://www.startribune.com/local/117523488.html

As Hrbek says, Gant was falling off the base and tagged Gant as Gant kept falling off the base.

Thumper76
December 23rd, 2013, 10:40 PM
Ruining NDSU's perfect season and winning the GWFC on 07 is by far my favorite SDSU win. That game was intense. So fun.

TwinCitiesBison
December 23rd, 2013, 10:47 PM
My entry goes to both the greatest win and worst loss....I was born and raised in Fargo so I have been a Bison fan as long as I can remember...but being born and raised in Fargo, the first thing you want to do when you turn 18 and graduate is...get the hell out of Fargo! So I went to the U in the Twin Cities and graduated in 1999...anyway, 2007 rolls around and the Bison, a year after narrowly losing to the Gophers 10-9, goes in and demoralizes my alma mater 27-21 in a game that was nowhere near as close as the score. Just made the whole move to FCS worth it for NDSU and its fans and was the "crowning" achievement of a pathetic 1-11 Gopher squad.

buffalobill
December 23rd, 2013, 11:28 PM
NDSU's win over Grambling in 1965 in the Pecan Bowl! The score was 20-7. It was the first national championship for NDSU. It came at a time when most of the great African-American athletes were not playing for schools across the country as they are today. The Bison were 11-0 and the rest is history.:)

poly51
December 24th, 2013, 01:31 AM
Division II Cal Poly's 26-0 win over Division 1A Fresno State 1979

Division II National Champ Cal Poly's 23-20 win over 1AA National Champ Boise State 1980

1980 National Championship game win over Eastern Illinois 21-13

BirdieJack
December 24th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Ruining NDSU's perfect season and winning the GWFC on 07 is by far my favorite SDSU win. That game was intense. So fun.

THIS one for me also...it was an amazing game and atmosphere that day at CAS!!
1a. Beating the Bison in the FargoDome the next year. 1st win in Fargo in 30-some years I believe. (Cue the Ryan Berry should've never been allowed back in the game chatter from the Bison fans) xsmiley_wix

Non-Football...was definitely winning the Men's Summit League Championship over Western Illinois 2 years ago...the place erupted so many times I thought the roof in that old place(SF Arena) was going to cave in.

Go Jacks!!

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 24th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Montana...............hmm.......................to o many to choose just one.

Beating Oregon State isnt even in the top 1/3..........for us anyway.

Red & Black
December 24th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Montana...............hmm.......................to o many to choose just one.

Beating Oregon State isnt even in the top 1/3..........for us anyway.

Yes, because beating Oregon State back in the 90's when they were one of the worst 1A teams on the west coast is exactly the same as beating them in 2013, a year after they finished 9-3 in the regular season and went to a bowl game. Nice try. And Oregon State did not lose their final 6 games of the season (at least not yet), so I do not know why you keep saying that.

Lulu
December 24th, 2013, 04:38 PM
1. 2005 NC
2. 2007 NC
3. 2006 NC
4. Meatchicken 07

SIUSalukiFan
December 24th, 2013, 05:26 PM
My favorite two Southern Illinois wins came in the same year - 2002 - and in a season in which we only finished 4-8. It was Jerry Kill's second year at SIU.

Western Illinois and Northern Iowa were each top 10 teams when we played them that year but we upset them both at home. WIU had beaten us something like 18 straight times but we won 52-48 or something crazy like that. We scored on the last play of the game for the win. We smoked UNI and I remember us scoring on an 80-yard fake punt very early in the game. Those two games told me SIU was on its way up the FCS ladder.

Game Six of the 2011 World Series was pretty damn exciting if you are a St. Louis Cardinals fan ... which I am. Down two in the bottom of the ninth? No problem. Down one in the bottom of the 10th? No problem. Then, walk off in the 11th. I'll never forget that game.

Ivytalk
December 25th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Harvard's 21-16 win over Yale at The Stadium in 1974. Milt Holt capped a 95-yard drive with a short TD run with 16 seconds to play. I was a junior that year, and it still ranks as the most exciting Harvard game I ever saw.

furpal87
December 27th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Of course for me, the 88 National championship 17-12 over GSU, terrible sloppy game, but it got the job done. Also, our 28-3 at UNC is always special, since I have to be around tar hole fans all the time. Also being at Marshall for our quarterfinal win in 88 over those people who I can't stand.

For other sports the Red Sox beating the Yankees in Game 7 on 2004 capping the greatest comeback/choke of all time!!! Duke beating UNLV in the 91 semis , then beating Kansas for the First national championship. Growing up on Long Island seeing the Islanders win their first championship in person beating the Flyers 5-4 in OT to win the cup.

Darlinikki150
December 27th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Of course for me, the 88 National championship 17-12 over GSU, terrible sloppy game, but it got the job done. Also, our 28-3 at UNC is always special, since I have to be around tar hole fans all the time. Also being at Marshall for our quarterfinal win in 88 over those people who I can't stand.

For other sports the Red Sox beating the Yankees in Game 7 on 2004 capping the greatest comeback/choke of all time!!! Duke beating UNLV in the 91 semis , then beating Kansas for the First national championship. Growing up on Long Island seeing the Islanders win their first championship in person beating the Flyers 5-4 in OT to win the cup.

Totally forgot about the Red Sox series! Why not us? Great 30 for 30 show and since I hate the Yankees it was that much sweeter for me. Good call fur!

Sader87
December 27th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Not the "greatest" HC win I ever witnessed but definitely the most improbable. Been looking for video of this the last few years to no avail. Current Cowboys head coach Garrett was the QB for Ole Nassau that afternoon:

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/09/25/sports/college-football-ivy-league-holy-cross-stuns-tigers-on-last-play.html