PDA

View Full Version : Most Gut-wrenching Loss Ever!

dudeitsaid
December 22nd, 2013, 10:35 PM
As most of AGS will be filled with prognostications and smack about the NDSU vs Towson championship game, yesterdays loss brought up a feeling I wish I could forget. It was one of the most gut-wrenching losses I've experienced as a fan. It is definitely in the top three of all time for me. It's part of the ups and downs of sports - The Thrill of Victory, The Agony of Defeat!

What's the worst loss you've ever experienced as a fan?

This game was darn close to the worst, but it was actually the home playoff game against SHSU in 2004. The Erik Meyer lead Eagles had a home game after stunning 1 seed SIU the week before, and were dominating the game. The Eagles went up by three scores 34 to 14 in the fourth quarter, and then decided to go into prevent defense. Needless to say, SHSU went into passing mode, and threw outs to stop the clock. They got a three and out, and I believe the recovered an onside kick as well. Their QB attempted 61 passes. He threw the final touchdown pass as the clock struck zero. EWU missed an XP on their first touchdown of the game. I looked at my wife at the time, and said, crap, that's going to come back to haunt us. They made the extra point for the win, and EWU hung their heads.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 22nd, 2013, 10:38 PM
As most of AGS will be filled with prognostications and smack about the NDSU vs Towson championship game, yesterdays loss brought up a feeling I wish I could forget. It was one of the most gut-wrenching losses I've experienced as a fan. It is definitely in the top three of all time for me. It's part of the ups and downs of sports - The Thrill of Victory, The Agony of Defeat!

This game was darn close to the worst, but it was actually the home playoff game against SHSU in 2004. The Erik Meyer lead Eagles had a home game after stunning 1 seed SIU the week before, and were dominating the game. The Eagles went up by three scores 34 to 14 in the fourth quarter, and then decided to go into prevent defense. Needless to say, SHSU went into passing mode, and threw outs to stop the clock. They got a three and out, and I believe the recovered an onside kick as well. Their QB attempted 61 passes. He threw the final touchdown pass as the clock struck zero. EWU missed an XP on their first touchdown of the game. I looked at my wife at the time, and said, crap, that's going to come back to haunt us. They made the extra point for the win, and EWU hung their heads.

Can we start using this picture ad nauseum now?

http://media.spokesman.com/picture_story_item_images/SRX_EWU30_24159430_t940.JPG?e9219e083a78a4429a18d2 8d8a24b72ce48bf775

BisonBacker
December 22nd, 2013, 10:39 PM
That's an easy one to Answer Dude. Having a retarded ref F up a call in OT and see your team lose that way. Anyway you seem like one of the good one's as fans go so I'm sorry for your loss I know it sucks. Honestly at least it wasn't a ref who jobbed you guys that only adds to the pain.

NoCoDanny
December 22nd, 2013, 10:39 PM
There isn't enough space on the interweb to list all for UNC.

BisonBacker
December 22nd, 2013, 10:41 PM
There isn't enough space on the interweb to list all for UNC.

NoCoDanny honest question and not to derail the thread but what the hell has happened to NC? Man I thought they'd do better with the move up but you guys have really fallen on hard times.

centennial
December 22nd, 2013, 10:42 PM
There are many with the top being robbed by the refs at EWU in 2010. You understand some of our pain now..

saxbison
December 22nd, 2013, 10:43 PM
That's an easy one to Answer Dude. Having a retarded ref F up a call in OT and see your team lose that way. Anyway you seem like one of the good one's as fans go so I'm sorry for your loss I know it sucks. Honestly at least it wasn't a ref who jobbed you guys that only adds to the pain.

I think the loss in the championship to Troy State in 1984 was worse. The bison had that game and gave it away in the end. They win, and a four-peat is likely.

BisonBacker
December 22nd, 2013, 10:44 PM
I think the loss in the championship to Troy State in 1984 was worse. The bison had that game and gave it away in the end. They win, and a four-peat is likely.
Yeah the kitty litter bowl was bad too.

Sader87
December 22nd, 2013, 10:46 PM
How about a "pick 6" on the last play of the game to lose the Orange Bowl???

http://www.efootage.com/stock-footage/70422/Miami_Orange_Bowl_-_1946_Football_Game/

Wilson16
December 22nd, 2013, 10:46 PM
I was at tampon field in 2010 and watched the Bison lose on "that call". Sucked

dudeitsaid
December 22nd, 2013, 10:58 PM

I figured that one would come up! I understand your pain, and wish the game had been settled without such a question mark that year.

dewey
December 22nd, 2013, 11:06 PM

I was a young pup and don't remember that game but to the the NC to a team that ran out the field goal unit with the clock running and then he nails a 50 yarder and you lose hurts.

Losing to EWU back in 2010 hurts but not because of the fumble call that everyone complains about. It hurts because with right around 1:30 to go and a 2nd and 3 or so then it is 3rd and 2 from the EWU 35 a first down on either play wins the game. Then to see BLM lead ewu down field for a game tying TD hurt. Then to watch EWU win the NC that year was a prolonged pain.

As for the EWU-NDSU last play call I believe that if NDSU gets a first on that 3rd and 2-3 then the of never happens. I also think the motivation that NDSU got from watching EWU win the NC that year helped propel them into 2 straight, possibly 3, national titles.

Dewey

dewey
December 22nd, 2013, 11:10 PM
I figured that one would come up! I understand your pain, and wish the game had been settled without such a question mark that year.

You seem like a pretty decent guy compared to others. You guys have had some painful moments the last few years. Last year to SHSU and then this year to Towson has got to hurt. I wasn't aware of the loss you mentioned in the first post but that sounds painful as well.

It almost sounds like being a freaking Vikings fan. Lifetime of pain.

clenz
December 22nd, 2013, 11:14 PM
I can't begin this topic, as a UNI and Viking fan, without shutting the interwebz down with how long the post would be

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

IBleedYellow
December 22nd, 2013, 11:21 PM
I can't begin this topic, as a UNI and Viking fan, without shutting the interwebz down with how long the post would be

You're a Vikings fan too? Oh man, I'm so sorry....

JayJ79
December 22nd, 2013, 11:22 PM
Braveheart death scene.... oh wait, you were talking football, my bad.
(haha, bad joke. gut wrenching..... cuz they disemboweled him before killing him)

Wilson16
December 22nd, 2013, 11:30 PM
I was a young pup and don't remember that game but to the the NC to a team that ran out the field goal unit with the clock running and then he nails a 50 yarder and you lose hurts.

Losing to EWU back in 2010 hurts but not because of the fumble call that everyone complains about. It hurts because with right around 1:30 to go and a 2nd and 3 or so then it is 3rd and 2 from the EWU 35 a first down on either play wins the game. Then to see BLM lead ewu down field for a game tying TD hurt. Then to watch EWU win the NC that year was a prolonged pain.

As for the EWU-NDSU last play call I believe that if NDSU gets a first on that 3rd and 2-3 then the of never happens. I also think the motivation that NDSU got from watching EWU win the NC that year helped propel them into 2 straight, possibly 3, national titles.

Dewey
They very we'll could be going for 4 straight this year

clenz
December 22nd, 2013, 11:34 PM
You're a Vikings fan too? Oh man, I'm so sorry....

Yeah....just yeah...

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 22nd, 2013, 11:34 PM
Never experienced a gut wrenching loss unless it was a death in my immediate family.

Football is just a game.

Sader87
December 22nd, 2013, 11:38 PM
Never experienced a gut wrenching loss unless it was a death in my immediate family.

Football is just a game.

Buzzkill? Buzzkill? Buzzkill???............3 Buzzkills please

Yotes
December 23rd, 2013, 12:02 AM
There were two for me this year. Our losses against Youngstown and Montana were bad ones. A year after going 1-11 and 0-8 in the MVFC, any and all wins were big. Highly ranked teams came to the Dome two weeks in a row, we took the lead in the final minute or two both weeks, only to lose both times. Youngstown retook the lead with about 15 seconds left, and Montana ran the damn kickoff back after we took the lead with maybe a minute left to take us down. Two very hard losses to handle.

Milkman
December 23rd, 2013, 12:04 AM
Personally it was the 2009 nfc championship game. I've never handled a loss worse in my life and I can say that with absolute certainty.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Vitojr130
December 23rd, 2013, 01:32 AM

Woof life must be rough down in Marion. I'm a Vikings fan too, but at least I have NDSU to keep me from going over the edge.

thebootfitter
December 23rd, 2013, 02:02 AM
1998 NFC Championship Game. I lived in Atlanta at the time, but was cheering for the Vikings. In a bar, full of Atlanta fans... Me being very vocal the first part of the game, and eating crow and hiding my face when Atlanta took over.

Westby
December 23rd, 2013, 02:40 AM
I do not understand how Bison fans are so quick to forget the details of the 2010 Eastern Washington game. The Bison had many chances to win that game. Eastern converted two fourth downs on the 90 yard game tying touchdown drive and also dropped an interception. Then in overtime if the "Call" would have been reversed NDSU would still have third and goal down 7 points in overtime. Reversing a call that in the regular season and in years past could not have been challenged would not have automatically won the game for the Bison.

Big_Fan
December 23rd, 2013, 03:21 AM
Our loss to Furman on the Ingle Martin comeback was bad...the refs gave that game to Furman. The loss to Murray State this season was bad. We had every opportunity to blow them away but we turned the ball over and ended up losing on a 2 pt conversion in OT.

Others fall on the shoulders of Crowe's coaching...

The FSU loss in 2009 was painful. We led that game most of the way. 5 minutes left in the 4th and we are up 9-7 with the ball in FSU territory. 4th and 1 we go for it and instead of rolling Perriloux with a run/pass option, or sneaking it, we drop back and give up a sack - over on downs.

TTU 2010 - up 24-7 and totally in control, we go prevent and give up 28 points in the final 12 minutes. It costs us the conference title.

EKU 2011 - up 48-24 with 7 minutes left, Crowe substitutes heavily reserves. EKU scores 28 points in the final 7 minutes and wins the game. To add insult to injury, the loss cost us the outright conference title, we didn't make the playoffs, and Crowe got to claim "OVC Co-champs" with a 7-4 record.

caribbeanhen
December 23rd, 2013, 05:59 AM
EW was stopped on 4th and 2 late in the 4th quarter in the 2010 (played Jan 2011) NC game but was awarded the first down anyway with the botched measurement..... getting beat is one thing but that was scandalous

Gil Dobie
December 23rd, 2013, 07:00 AM
1984 Troy St 50 yd FG as time ran out. EWU game was not a championship game, and the Bison defense got beat letting EWU drive down a score to begin with. EWU game was a bonus, as no one expected NDSU to be that good that soon after a bad season. It quieted the Fire Bohl crowd.

ASUMountaineer
December 23rd, 2013, 07:29 AM
Montana 2000

Georgia Southern 2007

Montana 2009

UIWWildthing
December 23rd, 2013, 07:45 AM
The loss to Lehigh in the playoffs a couple years ago would be it for me for Towson.
Pro sports wise three words: Jeffrey. ****ing. Meier.

Tealblood
December 23rd, 2013, 07:54 AM
For any coastal person it is an easy answer

super safety

stevdock
December 23rd, 2013, 08:15 AM

Football is just a game.

Absolutely agree with you but this morning was close. About a month ago I kinda had Frisco tickets fall into my lap so I bought them before asking for time off. Was stupid enough to tell my 9 year old that I just bought them. This morning my request for Jan 3rd off was denied, so having to tell my 9 year old that we couldn't go was pretty tough. Oh did I mention he has missed exactly 1 home Bison game in his life and this was going to be our first trip to Frisco.

McNeese72
December 23rd, 2013, 08:39 AM

Football is just a game.

This!

More disappointment than gut wrenching loss.

My most disappointing loss was the last minute loss to Southern Miss in the 1980 Independence Bowl Game. We had the ball and the lead near the end of the game. And then our fullback, who had never fumbled the ball all season, fumbled the ball away in our red zone. Southern Miss finally scored on a 4th down play just inside our 10 to win 16-14.

Most disappointing tie was the 9-9 tie with bitter, hated rival USL (now ULL) in 1977. We were behind 9-3 near the end of the game. Our TE catches a TD pass inside the last minute to tie the game at 9-9. We only needed the PAT for the win and we missed the extra point.

Doc

MR. CHICKEN
December 23rd, 2013, 08:40 AM
WHEN…EASTERN WASHIN'TON…BEAT US….BAH UH LINK…:(…AWQ!

blueballs
December 23rd, 2013, 08:46 AM
For me two come to mind...

14-0 GSU, vying to become only the third 15-0 NC in division one history, turned it over 6 times in the rain and slop and lost the 1998 NC game to UMass.

Blowing a 10 point halftime lead on the back of two turnovers within 2 minutes of one another and losing the 2001 semi final to Furman. It was GSU's first ever home playoff loss and ended the GSU dream of a 3 peat as well as the GSU tenures of Paul Johnson and Adrian Peterson.

Herder
December 23rd, 2013, 08:54 AM
Watching EWU v Towson, it sure felt completely locked up by EWU. I had this weird feeling as it imploded for eastern, that deep down they may not have wanted the NDSU rematch. I'm sure they wanted to win, but. . Its like that golf shot on a par 3 when you have water right, and you miss the green and your aiming point 25 yards left. You go, how the H did that happen. That miss is often followed by a triple bogey as the frustration of missing a huge wide open green mounts. The water can be a scary thing.

Skyhawk71
December 23rd, 2013, 09:48 AM
First & only FCS playoff game in Carbondale against SIU in 2006, up 17 or so going into the fourth, find a way to lose by four, missing my first trip to Montana; I still don't know how we lost that one............lesson learned, I had a flight to Missoula ready to be booked on speed dial, yep epic fail

Fear the Bird
December 23rd, 2013, 09:54 AM
EW was stopped on 4th and 2 late in the 4th quarter in the 2010 (played Jan 2011) NC game but was awarded the first down anyway with the botched measurement..... getting beat is one thing but that was scandalous

THIS

Lehigh Football Nation
December 23rd, 2013, 09:59 AM
This year's Bucknell loss is one I'm going to remember for a long time - just everything about it, the end of the 15 year streak of beating them, the dominating nature of the loss, the fact that the starting QB had his collarbone broken. There have been other dominating losses, and also the ending of winning streaks against teams, but the fact that all that happened PLUS the QB injury makes this one go way up there on my list.

Franks Tanks
December 23rd, 2013, 10:03 AM
2007 Colgate. Pards were up 21-3. Rob Curley our starting QB got knocked out of the game. Colgate came all they way back to win, and of course sidelined our QB. Effectively ended our quest for a 4th PL title in a row.

2008 Holy Cross. Just a heartbreaking last second loss which lost a PL title

2009 Holy Cross and Lehigh. Holy Cross was another last second loss to destroy title hopes. It also left lingering effects which helped Lehigh pull a big upset. The worst ending to a season imaginable.... except losing to Bucknell by about 100 like Lehigh did this year.

Walkon79
December 23rd, 2013, 10:12 AM
Losing to the Griz at home in 1997. The streak should have ended 5 years sooner than it did!

SFA 93
December 23rd, 2013, 10:13 AM
2009 SFA at SMU

Lumberjacks lead SMU in the 4th quarter 23-14 with Jeremy Moses throwing for almost 400 yards but had 5 picks.

SMU game back to take the lead 24-23 with 7 minutes left. SFA drives to the SMU 22 yard line and misses the field goal to take the lead back.

Mustangs score a TD with about 2 minutes left to win 31-23. SFA had one final chance and drove to the SMU 49 before turning it over on downs.

2010 SFA vs. Texas State

SFA up 24-0 going into the 4th quarter against the Bobcats and losing 27-24 at home. Biggest meltdown I ever saw.

2012 SFA at Texas State (37-41)

1993 SFA vs. McNeese State (20-21)

Entire 1992 season pretty much
lost to Montana State (10-13)
Boise State (20-24)
Texas State (14-17)

56n92
December 23rd, 2013, 10:28 AM
First time poster-EWU fan
Saturday was easily the most gut-wrenching loss I've experienced. Followed closely by our playoff losses to SHSU. After sulking for a day I realized I won't need counseling because it was settled on the field. That is what makes FCS great. We lost. I hate it but we lost. We had the same opportunity Townson had. We didn't have to rely on anonymous people wearing suits and politics to determine who's better. It was settled on the field and anyone who complains about woulda, coulda, shoulda, should change their alliance and be a BCS fan. No excuses here. Heartbreaking yes, but no excuses. Good luck to Townson and NDSU. I will be watching and admittedly envious. Next year we will have another opportunity to settle it on the field as will all of you.

UIWWildthing
December 23rd, 2013, 10:34 AM
First time poster-EWU fan
Saturday was easily the most gut-wrenching loss I've experienced. Followed closely by our playoff losses to SHSU. After sulking for a day I realized I won't need counseling because it was settled on the field. That is what makes FCS great. We lost. I hate it but we lost. We had the same opportunity Townson had. We didn't have to rely on anonymous people wearing suits and politics to determine who's better. It was settled on the field and anyone who complains about woulda, coulda, shoulda, should change their alliance and be a BCS fan. No excuses here. Heartbreaking yes, but no excuses. Good luck to Townson and NDSU. I will be watching and admittedly envious. Next year we will have another opportunity to settle it on the field as will all of you.
Towson, no N in the middle :)
Also great game, I can imagine how rough it was for EWU fans to see that game. I'm so glad we came out on top for it, but i agree this is why the FCS is the BEST, settle it on the field not the computers!

Texas
December 23rd, 2013, 10:44 AM
Yeah...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

PaladinFan
December 23rd, 2013, 10:49 AM
The so-called "Miracle on the Mountain." This entire exchange took place with 6 seconds on a stopped clock in the fourth quarter. Furman's drive to get into the endzone was epic and hearstopping in its own right (see the second video).

Furman had a 1 point lead and was attempting a two point conversion to take a field goal lead. The first seconds of the video show Furman's "game winning" touchdown. That video lacks commentary, but it does go to just how close KBS was to collapsing on itself.

I thought for a long time this was the most excruciating way to lose a football game until I saw the end of the Iron Bowl a few weeks ago. That's the only game I've seen that tops it.

Also, as if to make matters worse, Furman still had to kick it off again (they scored the touchdown).

http://youtu.be/mAycXbA2ZhE

http://youtu.be/rUcQ4irFl_s

IBleedYellow
December 23rd, 2013, 11:00 AM

Sounds like the Refs literally GIFTED EWU that Championship in MORE THAN ONE GAME!

caribbeanhen
December 23rd, 2013, 11:11 AM
Sounds like the Refs literally GIFTED EWU that Championship in MORE THAN ONE GAME!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mLa_1TBPNkU#t=65

just not right

BEAR
December 23rd, 2013, 11:16 AM
I'd have to say a few years back when we were D2 in a playoff game against UNA when our kicker missed the game winner and their kicker, um made it kinda. I was standing behind the goal posts and it flew so high that it was over the posts right over the right post. Angles mean everything. You could have called it either way and a game earlier that year went into double overtime. That was two evenly matched teams! We won the conference and they went on to get run probably because they left it ALL on our field.

Evolution Prime
December 23rd, 2013, 11:17 AM
Personally it was the 2009 nfc championship game. I've never handled a loss worse in my life and I can say that with absolute certainty.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Order of Vikings NFC championship games I've seen that killed me the most.

1. 1998 - Anderson's only FG miss all year, a one loss team that had what it took to win it all that year.
2. 2009 - Refs let Saints all but murder Favre and blow some important calls against the Vikes and the they still should have won. Still believe the fix was in.
3. 1987 - A team that over achieved and Darrin Nelson drops a pass in the end zone to tie it.
4. 2000 - 41-0 and didn't compete. More embarrassed about it than anything.

BirdieJack
December 23rd, 2013, 11:19 AM
Absolutely agree with you but this morning was close. About a month ago I kinda had Frisco tickets fall into my lap so I bought them before asking for time off. Was stupid enough to tell my 9 year old that I just bought them. This morning my request for Jan 3rd off was denied, so having to tell my 9 year old that we couldn't go was pretty tough. Oh did I mention he has missed exactly 1 home Bison game in his life and this was going to be our first trip to Frisco.

Where's there a will, there's a way. My advice to you...life is short...spend the $$ on your son and get him down there...it's something he'll never forget! If this package doesn't work...I guarantee you make enough phones calls you can get 2 tickets. Anything in life is possible...it's just a matter of how important it is to you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Division-1-FCS-Football-Championship-Ticket-Hotel-Package-North-Dakota-State-/111242722161?pt=US_Tickets_all_in_one&hash=item19e6953b71

I only posted this link to show that "tickets are out there"...spend the next couple of weeks looking/calling/asking around and I guarantee you find 2. Good Luck from a "Bunny" fan!!

FormerPokeCenter
December 23rd, 2013, 11:25 AM
1980 Independence Bowl. Less than a minute to play, McNeese is winning and running out the clock in the shadow of their own endzone. A fumble on a simple fullback dive gives Southern Mississippi the ball on the five yard line...

The Golden Eagle offense that day had future Dallas QB Reggie Collier, future Denver running back Sammy Winder and future Giants All Pro Art Monk...

Yeah, they punched it in....the endzone..and my gut!

Grizalltheway
December 23rd, 2013, 11:36 AM
For me it was 2007 against Woff. One of the most talented Montana teams ever, and I was directly behind the goal posts that a future Pro Bowl kicker missed by a couple of feet. :(

semobison
December 23rd, 2013, 11:37 AM
The Ice Bowl 1966, I was 7 years old and a big fan of Bullit Bob Hayes, worlds fastest human, wr for the Dallas Cowboys. Bart Friggin Starr, QB sneak! My dad said I cried for a long time after that game. I think I took things a lot harder as a kid!

paward
December 23rd, 2013, 11:48 AM
FCS for me was 2009 at home, last game at city stadium against App state. It was a rubber game for both. I knew it was too much time on the clock for Armanti Edwards to go to work. We lost 35 to 31.

Pro game was the snow plower cleaning the area for New England to beat my Dolphins by a field goal. I will never ever forgive those cheaters.

Mountaineer
December 23rd, 2013, 11:55 AM
FCS for me was 2009 at home, last game at city stadium against App state. It was a rubber game for both. I knew it was too much time on the clock for Armanti Edwards to go to work. We lost 35 to 31.

That was one hell of a game. xthumbsupx

Which leads to 2009 in Washington-Grizz. Watching AE's pass to Quick bounce off the fingertips as time expired stuck with me for days.

The last three playoff home losses for App were also particularly brutal. Watching Maine and Villanova run roughshod over App for wins, and Illinois State blocking the XP last year in OT. Ugh.

Professionally, the Panthers blowing the Super Bowl to that asshat Tom Brady and the Patriots. Panthers take the lead and all John Kasay had to do was KICK THE BALL DEEP. Instead he kicks it out of bounds, short field for New England, field goal to win. I hung up the phone on my girlfriend when she said it was "just a game". :D

dewey
December 23rd, 2013, 12:06 PM
I do not understand how Bison fans are so quick to forget the details of the 2010 Eastern Washington game. The Bison had many chances to win that game. Eastern converted two fourth downs on the 90 yard game tying touchdown drive and also dropped an interception. Then in overtime if the "Call" would have been reversed NDSU would still have third and goal down 7 points in overtime. Reversing a call that in the regular season and in years past could not have been challenged would not have automatically won the game for the Bison.

I basically said the samething in post #12. NDSU had chances to seal the game that day and make sure the questionable call never happens. EWU deserves credit for making 2 stops to force NDSU to punt and then to drive the field to tie the game. Then to score a TD in OT then their defense making a big play to allow the referees to make a questionable call.

Go Bison!

Dewey

State Line Liquors
December 23rd, 2013, 12:07 PM
2010 title game was easily the most gut wrenching loss in UD football history, just given the circumstances and importance of the game.

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
December 23rd, 2013, 12:10 PM
2006 vs Youngstown State in the playoffs. JMU blows a 11 point lead in the 4th quarter.

2007 first round of playoffs. JMU vs. Appalachian State. JMU is down 28-27 with the ball on App State's 8 yard line. They decide to run one more run play before kicking the chip shot field goal with less than a minute left and the running back fumbled the ball.

2008 semi-finals in the playoffs vs Montana. JMU made several dumb mistakes including 3+ fumbles (some forced, others not) and Rodney Landers got hurt. Despite all of this, JMU was within striking distance of winning the game but ultimately lost.

2009 season opener vs Maryland. JMU played great but lost to Maryland on a field goal as time expired in overtime, 38-35.

2009 regular season loss to a terrible Hofstra team. We played awful and this was the begin of a 4 game losing streak.

2011, regular season game vs Maine. Maine goes for 2 after scoring a touchdown in overtime and wins 25-24.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 23rd, 2013, 12:17 PM
Forgot to mention my "pro football game excruciating loss" candidate. For that one I'd have to say Saints/Eagles playoffs, 1993, where for almost 3 quarters the Dome Patrol held Randall Cunningham and the Eagles under wraps, and then had an epic collapse to give up 26 unanswered points.

That one ached on so many levels - the Saints hadn't won a playoff game then, and it was the closest one in the Mora era they had at winning. I was fresh out of school at Lehigh, so every Eagles fan I knew called me that night and let me know the state of the union. Finally, I was invested in the pro game then in a way I'm not now.

stevdock
December 23rd, 2013, 12:39 PM
Where's there a will, there's a way. My advice to you...life is short...spend the $$ on your son and get him down there...it's something he'll never forget! If this package doesn't work...I guarantee you make enough phones calls you can get 2 tickets. Anything in life is possible...it's just a matter of how important it is to you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Division-1-FCS-Football-Championship-Ticket-Hotel-Package-North-Dakota-State-/111242722161?pt=US_Tickets_all_in_one&hash=item19e6953b71

I only posted this link to show that "tickets are out there"...spend the next couple of weeks looking/calling/asking around and I guarantee you find 2. Good Luck from a "Bunny" fan!!

Thanks for the advice and it is good advice. I already had tickets though. Can't get out of work and refuse to call in sick as I need to set a good example for my kids. Maybe I should put in for leave right now for next year because as you know all Bison fans think we will never lose a game ever again ;)

chattownmocs
December 23rd, 2013, 12:44 PM
Did you start this thread to make me cry?

dewey
December 23rd, 2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the advice and it is good advice. I already had tickets though. Can't get out of work and refuse to call in sick as I need to set a good example for my kids. Maybe I should put in for leave right now for next year because as you know all Bison fans think we will never lose a game ever again ;)

Can you leave after work on Friday and drive all night? Good for you to show your children a good example.

Dewey

Engineer86
December 23rd, 2013, 01:01 PM
2010 title game was easily the most gut wrenching loss in UD football history, just given the circumstances and importance of the game.

While I have my own for Lehigh, this one definitely has to take the cake for the reasons you point out.

Sir William
December 23rd, 2013, 01:31 PM
1983 semifinal to Western Carolina (still trying to forgive them for tearing down our goal post afterwards)

1985 national championship to Ga Southern (almost 30 yrs later, it still smarts!)

"Miracle on the Mountain" at App State (already mentioned; hard to watch)

Bisonator
December 23rd, 2013, 01:54 PM
I don't really remember the loss to Troy(thankfully) so I would have to go with the loss to EWU in 2010. Just such a frustrating game to watch it still bugs me.

Darlinikki150
December 23rd, 2013, 02:32 PM
EW loss heartbreaker.

Vikes vs Dirty Birds, Vikes vs. Dirty Saints players. **** off!

My blood pressure always gives up when discussing any of those games!

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 23rd, 2013, 02:37 PM
1980 Independence Bowl. Less than a minute to play, McNeese is winning and running out the clock in the shadow of their own endzone. A fumble on a simple fullback dive gives Southern Mississippi the ball on the five yard line...

The Golden Eagle offense that day had future Dallas QB Reggie Collier, future Denver running back Sammy Winder and future Giants All Pro Art Monk...

Yeah, they punched it in....the endzone..and my gut!

Must have really done a number on you because Monk was a Redskin....................... xcoffeex

FormerPokeCenter
December 23rd, 2013, 02:51 PM
Must have really done a number on you because Monk was a Redskin....................... xcoffeex

Thank you! I had brain flatulence and got my Indy Bowls confused. The 79 Indy Bowl saw Syracuse's Art Monk and little Joe Morris catch and run all the **** over us!

Southern Miss's receiver in 1980 was Louis Lipps...

My bad...

Thumper76
December 23rd, 2013, 03:39 PM
Easy. The game that shall not be mentioned @Montana our first trip to the playoffs. Most epic meltdown I have ever witnessed, and remember the horrible feeling starting when Mariani returned that first KO. Still upsetting to think about.

Red & Black
December 23rd, 2013, 03:46 PM

2004 - SHSU
2012 - SHSU
2013 - Towson

- - - Updated - - -

The play in question that you are talking about would have tied the game. You guys act like it would have been the winning TD, which I have never understood.

Red & Black
December 23rd, 2013, 03:50 PM
Dewey

This is the part most NDSU fans (yourself excluded) fail to acknowledge. It is always about the "fumble"...which I guess is understandable.

What people forget about that last EWU drive with about a minute left in the game is that there were something like 2 or 3 4th downs converted.

Red & Black
December 23rd, 2013, 03:51 PM

This. This exactly. Thank you for acknowledging the facts about that game.

IBleedYellow
December 23rd, 2013, 04:04 PM
This is the part most NDSU fans (yourself excluded) fail to acknowledge. It is always about the "fumble"...which I guess is understandable.

What people forget about that last EWU drive with about a minute left in the game is that there were something like 2 or 3 4th downs converted.

NDSU was driving to seal the game, 3rd and short and we get stopped. Third and short is all that it would have taken. Let's not even forget the long drive that EWU took with less than 2 minutes left to push the game into OT.

That whole game is gut wrenching because NDSU let EWU take the game from them. The fumble is just icing on the cake.

Bisonator
December 23rd, 2013, 04:06 PM
And I wonder why EWU fans don't acknowledge the pathetic refs in that game and the major impact they played. Not to mention your player intentionally pulling one of our players down to get a PF called against us on a crucial drive late in the game. We can literally go on about that game forever and the butthurt will not go away! xblehx

Gil Dobie
December 23rd, 2013, 04:09 PM
And I wonder why EWU fans don't acknowledge the pathetic refs in that game and the major impact they played. Not to mention your player intentionally pulling one of our players down to get a PF called against us on a crucial drive late in the game. We can literally go on about that game forever and the butthurt will not go away! xblehx

BlackFalkin does, on cs.com xlolx
http://s30.postimg.org/sst4yc5up/2013_12_19_19_42_52.png

IBleedYellow
December 23rd, 2013, 04:10 PM

We can also bring up the incomplete pass that was ruled complete because you can't tell a difference in ball color with that red field.

Red & Black
December 23rd, 2013, 04:22 PM
We can also bring up the incomplete pass that was ruled complete because you can't tell a difference in ball color with that red field.

Yes, the refs made all the difference in that game, and no calls ever went in NDSU's favor. Happy? xlolx

IBleedYellow
December 23rd, 2013, 04:38 PM
Yes, the refs made all the difference in that game, and no calls ever went in NDSU's favor. Happy? xlolx

You're having selective reading...

Just a few posts above I said NDSU let EWU take this game from them. Lack of execution was the reason NDSU lost. It's not the refs. The refs just made the game end sooner.

You can't let a team move down the field in less than 2 minutes when you need stops. You also can't let that same team score on THE FIRST play of OT if you want to win.

I still to this day believe that this single loss pushed our current seniors to be perfectionists. They execute on a totally different level right now and it's silly.

Red & Black
December 23rd, 2013, 04:47 PM
You can't let a team move down the field in less than 2 minutes when you need stops. You also can't let that same team score on THE FIRST play of OT if you want to win.

I know this, and you know this. So how is it that none of your other posters get it?

IBleedYellow
December 23rd, 2013, 04:49 PM
I know this, and you know this. So how is it that none of your other posters get it?

Because refs, man. Refs!

Wilson16
December 23rd, 2013, 05:07 PM
No matter what happened prior to that play it still prevented them from having a chance to win. eWU had many chances to put the game away too. And I'm not sure what regular season rules or prior year rules have to do with it. The fact remains that the call prevented them from having another chance keep,the game going. It is what it is bad calls happen all the time but don't say it didn't change what could have happened. It took the chance away

dudeitsaid
December 23rd, 2013, 07:10 PM

just not right

I'm a homer, but even I can admit that call was BS. I couldn't believe the whole ordeal as it took place, and I fricken HATE it when a ref leaves a big question mark in a close game like that. Who knows what would have happened had EWU turned the ball over on downs. Obviously, they had a 4th down stop on UD's next drive, but obviously, the situation would have been very different. Who knows? And it sucks to have those kind of lingering questions.

That being said, UD fans bring that call up far less than NDSU fans bring up the Jensen fumble call. And that's always surprised me, as I still feel (trying to be as objective as I can) that there is no way the replay official could honestly overturn the call on the field. I try to stay away from even taking about this, because each team's fans will have their own opinion, so it's tough to take either side too seriously.

All of that being said, both of those games involved issues with the refs and calls. In regards to the play of the teams, EWU played good enough to win in each game, or they wouldn't have been in a position to have those controversial calls, as did NDSU and UD. I think all of the teams were very well matched. That was just a strange season where every controversial call seemed to go EWU's way.

clenz
December 23rd, 2013, 07:38 PM
Because I'm a gluten for punishment....going back to 05 for UNI.

2005:
vs. App State in the title game: 16-21
- To get to the title game UNI had won 7 in a row (after a 4-3 start to the season), knocked off EWU at home, #1 New Hampshire, on the road in a snow storm, and #2 Texas State on the road(on an unbelievable series of events at the end of the game that 100% of UNI fans can't believe happened to this day.). UNI held ASU to 46 yards rushing, allowed ASU to complete less than 50% of their passes, had 37 minutes of possession, and went 3-3 in the redzone. UNI led 16-7 at half time and 16-14 after 3. The game really was a complete defensive struggle as neither team hit 300 yards of offense. UNI had the lead in the 4th with 9 minutes left until UNI's freshman LT (who later went on to the NFL...and still starts in San Diego), missed a block on Eric Sanders blindside causing a strip sack and Jason Hunter...well...

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/journalnow.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/5/f1/5f1de55e-9589-11e2-a5e1-001a4bcf6878/5150b17155100.image.jpg

2006:
vs North Dakota: 31-36:
Not only did we lose to a D2....the most embarassing part of the day is brought up yearly. UNI was having a "banner raising" for a national runner up banner (insert joke about that here if you wish). Yeah, well that went complete bug ***** f@ck nuts. The banner fell from the rafters and the entire presentation was just bad.

@ Iowa State 26-27
In-state FBS rivals....lost by 1. Brian Wingert (who could hit a FG from 55-60 yards with leg to spare) missed a 51 yard field goal just inches to the right as time expired.

2007:
vs Delaware in the QTRS: 27-39
UNI fans had UD completely ****ing rattled in the first quarter. All week Flacco, Cuff, Keeler (who wore his sunglasses in the dome even though it was a late kick and we got 4 inches of ice and 5 inches of snow on the day (I'm not kidding...just inches of ice..imagine rain but ice), and fans said the noise of the dome would have NO effect on the UD offense. UNI was #1 in the nation, hadn't lost, beaten an FBS team, etc... UNI came out and handed the ball to RB Corey Lewis for the first quarter and he ran ape **** on them. They couldn't stop him. On the flip side, the noise was ****ing UD. They got called for a false start on the first play from scrimmage, had to use a TO just a couple plays later because they couldn't hear the play call at the LOS, and then the next snap got called for another false start. UNI was up 10-0 after 1 and had all of the momentum in the ****ing world. In the second quarter there was a media time out at a point in the game that caused a HUGE momentum shift. UNI had to punt, the media TO. UD had a chance to finally gain some composure and then Flacco found a rhythm. UNI forced a ton of 3rd and long (9+ yards) and would hit Flacco on every ****ing throw but the dude was a damn weeble wobble. He would bounce off of hits from All American LBs and DE (James Ruffin and Brannon Carter) like they were JR kids and then throw a pass .5 yards past the first down marker. After that media TO UD scored 19 straight....the last of which was what sealed the game for them, and completely broke UNI that day. UNI blocked both of the first two PAT tries from UD. UNI was driving (down only 2) on the next possession. Sanders throws a bubble screen...the WR has the ball knocked loose with his knee just inches off the ground and UD runs it back 55 yards for a TD to put them up 19-10. UNI took a lead in the second half at 20-19 and pulled with 30-27 in the 4th but ****ing Flacco was a god damned weeble wobble. All week UNI had heard about Omar Cuff being unstopable and all that ****. UD averaged just 1.9 YPC...UNI 4.8. UD threw for 312 and UNI 291. UNI outgained UD 465-388....That loss....that ****ing loss....was the start of a bad turning point for UNI.

2008: vs Richmond in the semi-finals: 20-21
UNI entered the playoffs at 10-2 and the #3 seed. Manhandled Maine in the first round, dismissed UNH for the third time since 2005 in the playoffs, and then ****ing Richmond. If the UD game the year before was the start of the turning point, this game was the ****ing apex that started the "free fall". UNI was up 20-7 going into the fourth and had momentum so far on their side I don't think anyone in the dome thought we could lose. Richmond scored with 11 minutes left to make it 20-14 but UNI still had control of the game. UNI got the ball back with 2 minutes and 13 seconds left in the game on our own 42 and the now infamous Farley defense and Solmon offense. Richmond had 3 TO's so we knew UNI would need at least 1 first down to ice it, but averaging 4.5 ypc on the day that was no big deal with the way the offense was going. However, we run a dive play for 1 yard...Richmond TO. Outside jet sweep for 1 yard...Richmond TO...QB run for 2 yards...Richmond TO. The entire drive got us 4 yards and took just 49 seconds. No big deal (ish) at this point. Senior Brook Black, the UNI punter, landed seemingly every one of his punts inside the 20...**** that, inside the 5-10 yard line, it seemed like that year and averaged about 45-46 yards yards a kick. If he sends a 45 yard punt down the field with standard hang time Richmond has to go 80-90 yards with no time outs and 1:40 seconds to do so. Instead the final punt of his amazing career at UNI went 42 yards...but only 8 feet of the ground and at 90 miles per hour. The punt was returned 28 yards to the 45 yard line. Richmond took over with 1:44 left. No big deal, 3 all american/all conference DL, conference defensive player of the year at LB, etc... we should be fine. Farley goes into his typical 4th quarter cover 2 hail mary defense allowing anything less than 15 yards to be completed. Richmond scores with 13 seconds left to take the 21-20 lead....To make it worse Richmond ***** rapes Montana in the finals - something UNI would have done as well...finally getting a title AND beating Montana....instead...nope.

2009: really just the whole season but a couple games...
@ Iowa 16-17
UNI out gained #21 Iowa (who went on to win the Orange Bowl) and lost a game the only way in football history a game has been lost. Kicker Billy Hallgren (UNI's all time leading scorer) lines up a 40 yard field goal, on first down, with something like 7 seconds left. 40 is well within his range. The kick is blocked....UNI's tight end Ryan Mahaffey smartly jumps on the ball (likely to keep Iowa from returning it) with 1 second left. We all think the game is over...Kinnick Stadium going crazy...BUT WAIT...A REVIEW....BUT WHY? Turns out the ball didn't cross the LOS and since it wasn't 4th down and time was left on the clock it was still UNI ball. Only 1 yard was lost. UNI lines up for ANOTHER game winning field goal (41 yards). Iowa fans are pissed like you wouldn't believe, however, the correct call was made. The second field goal is snapped, held, kicked....****ING BLOCKED AGAIN....ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME? TWO BLOCKED GAME WINNING FIELD GOALS IN 7 ****ING SECONDS? WHAT IN THE ****ING ****? If UD and Richmond from the last two years were the start and the apex of the free fall...this was a steep drop in the angle on the way down to speed the car up.

@ Illinois State 20-22 final game of the season
That Iowa game really screwed with the psyche of the UNI program. They struggled but had a "win and in" game going into the last game of the season. Illinois State is the team in the MVFC that UNI should dominate every time but has struggled like crazy with the last decade or so. UNI comes out flat and is down 16-6 going into the 4th. Starting QB goes down early with an injury and the back up comes in. UNI scores 14 in the 4th, including a go a head score with 39 seconds left in the game to go up 20-16. UNI squib kicks it, an up man stops it from getting deep and returns it to the ISU 31. Still ISU has to go 69 yards with 39 seconds left...can't be done right? Well, not if Farley and his prevent hail mary defense have anything to say about it. You guessed it...ISU scored as the clock hit 0 to win and knock UNI out of the playoff picture.....that free fall car that started with UD? Yeah...it hit the ground at 100000000MPH after that game.

****....now I want to drink.

matfu
December 23rd, 2013, 07:39 PM
Furman's loss to Ga Southern in the 1985 National Championship game 44-42 when they scored with 10 seconds left.

2004 loss to App State in the semis when Ingle Martin slipped on the ice when he could have walked into the endzone.

Those were harder because of the playoff implications. The Miracle on the Mountain was the most unbelievable Furman loss ever.

Bisonator
December 23rd, 2013, 07:47 PM

2005:
- To get to the title game UNI had won 7 in a row (after a 4-3 start to the season), knocked off EWU at home, #1 New Hampshire, on the road in a snow storm, and #2 Texas State on the road(on an unbelievable series of events at the end of the game that 100% of UNI fans can't believe happened to this day.). UNI held ASU to 46 yards rushing, allowed ASU to complete less than 50% of their passes, had 37 minutes of possession, and went 3-3 in the redzone. UNI led 16-7 at half time and 16-14 after 3. The game really was a complete defensive struggle as neither team hit 300 yards of offense. UNI had the lead in the 4th with 9 minutes left until UNI's freshman LT (who later went on to the NFL...and still starts in San Diego), missed a block on Eric Sanders blindside causing a strip sack and Jason Hunter...well...

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/journalnow.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/5/f1/5f1de55e-9589-11e2-a5e1-001a4bcf6878/5150b17155100.image.jpg

2006:
Not only did we lose to a D2....the most embarassing part of the day is brought up yearly. UNI was having a "banner raising" for a national runner up banner (insert joke about that here if you wish). Yeah, well that went complete bug ***** f@ck nuts. The banner fell from the rafters and the entire presentation was just bad.

@ Iowa State 26-27
In-state FBS rivals....lost by 1. Brian Wingert (who could hit a FG from 55-60 yards with leg to spare) missed a 51 yard field goal just inches to the right as time expired.

2007:
UNI fans had UD completely ****ing rattled in the first quarter. All week Flacco, Cuff, Keeler (who wore his sunglasses in the dome even though it was a late kick and we got 4 inches of ice and 5 inches of snow on the day (I'm not kidding...just inches of ice..imagine rain but ice), and fans said the noise of the dome would have NO effect on the UD offense. UNI was #1 in the nation, hadn't lost, beaten an FBS team, etc... UNI came out and handed the ball to RB Corey Lewis for the first quarter and he ran ape **** on them. They couldn't stop him. On the flip side, the noise was ****ing UD. They got called for a false start on the first play from scrimmage, had to use a TO just a couple plays later because they couldn't hear the play call at the LOS, and then the next snap got called for another false start. UNI was up 10-0 after 1 and had all of the momentum in the ****ing world. In the second quarter there was a media time out at a point in the game that caused a HUGE momentum shift. UNI had to punt, the media TO. UD had a chance to finally gain some composure and then Flacco found a rhythm. UNI forced a ton of 3rd and long (9+ yards) and would hit Flacco on every ****ing throw but the dude was a damn weeble wobble. He would bounce off of hits from All American LBs and DE (James Ruffin and Brannon Carter) like they were JR kids and then throw a pass .5 yards past the first down marker. After that media TO UD scored 19 straight....the last of which was what sealed the game for them, and completely broke UNI that day. UNI blocked both of the first two PAT tries from UD. UNI was driving (down only 2) on the next possession. Sanders throws a bubble screen...the WR has the ball knocked loose with his knee just inches off the ground and UD runs it back 55 yards for a TD to put them up 19-10. UNI took a lead in the second half at 20-19 and pulled with 30-27 in the 4th but ****ing Flacco was a god damned weeble wobble. All week UNI had heard about Omar Cuff being unstopable and all that ****. UD averaged just 1.9 YPC...UNI 4.8. UD threw for 312 and UNI 291. UNI outgained UD 465-388....That loss....that ****ing loss....was the start of a bad turning point for UNI.

UNI entered the playoffs at 10-2 and the #3 seed. Manhandled Maine in the first round, dismissed UNH for the third time since 2005 in the playoffs, and then ****ing Richmond. If the UD game the year before was the start of the turning point, this game was the ****ing apex that started the "free fall". UNI was up 20-7 going into the fourth and had momentum so far on their side I don't think anyone in the dome thought we could lose. Richmond scored with 11 minutes left to make it 20-14 but UNI still had control of the game. UNI got the ball back with 2 minutes and 13 seconds left in the game on our own 42 and the now infamous Farley defense and Solmon offense. Richmond had 3 TO's so we knew UNI would need at least 1 first down to ice it, but averaging 4.5 ypc on the day that was no big deal with the way the offense was going. However, we run a dive play for 1 yard...Richmond TO. Outside jet sweep for 1 yard...Richmond TO...QB run for 2 yards...Richmond TO. The entire drive got us 4 yards and took just 49 seconds. No big deal (ish) at this point. Senior Brook Black, the UNI punter, landed seemingly every one of his punts inside the 20...**** that, inside the 5-10 yard line, it seemed like that year and averaged about 45-46 yards yards a kick. If he sends a 45 yard punt down the field with standard hang time Richmond has to go 80-90 yards with no time outs and 1:40 seconds to do so. Instead the final punt of his amazing career at UNI went 42 yards...but only 8 feet of the ground and at 90 miles per hour. The punt was returned 28 yards to the 45 yard line. Richmond took over with 1:44 left. No big deal, 3 all american/all conference DL, conference defensive player of the year at LB, etc... we should be fine. Farley goes into his typical 4th quarter cover 2 hail mary defense allowing anything less than 15 yards to be completed. Richmond scores with 13 seconds left to take the 21-20 lead....To make it worse Richmond ***** rapes Montana in the finals - something UNI would have done as well...finally getting a title AND beating Montana....instead...nope.

@ Iowa 16-17
UNI out gained #21 Iowa (who went on to win the Orange Bowl) and lost a game the only way in football history a game has been lost. Kicker Billy Hallgren (UNI's all time leading scorer) lines up a 40 yard field goal, on first down, with something like 7 seconds left. 40 is well within his range. The kick is blocked....UNI's tight end Ryan Mahaffey smartly jumps on the ball (likely to keep Iowa from returning it) with 1 second left. We all think the game is over...Kinnick Stadium going crazy...BUT WAIT...A REVIEW....BUT WHY? Turns out the ball didn't cross the LOS and since it wasn't 4th down and time was left on the clock it was still UNI ball. Only 1 yard was lost. UNI lines up for ANOTHER game winning field goal (41 yards). Iowa fans are pissed like you wouldn't believe, however, the correct call was made. The second field goal is snapped, held, kicked....****ING BLOCKED AGAIN....ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME? TWO BLOCKED GAME WINNING FIELD GOALS IN 7 ****ING SECONDS? WHAT IN THE ****ING ****? If UD and Richmond from the last two years were the start and the apex of the free fall...this was a steep drop in the angle on the way down to speed the car up.

That Iowa game really screwed with the psyche of the UNI program. They struggled but had a "win and in" game going into the last game of the season. Illinois State is the team in the MVFC that UNI should dominate every time but has struggled like crazy with the last decade or so. UNI comes out flat and is down 16-6 going into the 4th. Starting QB goes down early with an injury and the back up comes in. UNI scores 14 in the 4th, including a go a head score with 39 seconds left in the game to go up 20-16. UNI squib kicks it, an up man stops it from getting deep and returns it to the ISU 31. Still ISU has to go 69 yards with 39 seconds left...can't be done right? Well, not if Farley and his prevent hail mary defense have anything to say about it. You guessed it...ISU scored as the clock hit 0 to win and knock UNI out of the playoff picture.....that free fall car that started with UD? Yeah...it hit the ground at 100000000MPH after that game.

Let it all out Clenz, let it all out. Show us on the doll where the bad man touched you. xlolx

clenz
December 23rd, 2013, 07:52 PM
Let it all out Clenz, let it all out. Show us on the doll where the bad man touched you. xlolx
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/89/89eaa579f48452d20a69d51c52eecb4d85ce7445aed14bf9ed ef831e2efe013d.jpg

clenz
December 23rd, 2013, 07:54 PM
Oh....and....

**** you NDSU 2013. UNI leads for 57 minutes...gets called for an "iffy" hands to the face penalty (which happens multiple times per game with no call) with no replay to show if it happened or not....then get called for a straight 100% bull**** pass interference call...lose a potential All American LB to a broken leg and ****ing lose by 1.

****!

Bisonator
December 23rd, 2013, 07:57 PM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/89/89eaa579f48452d20a69d51c52eecb4d85ce7445aed14bf9ed ef831e2efe013d.jpg

Oh man that's funny.

I would have thought this years NDSU game would have made the list or are there more chapters yet to come? xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

Oh....and....

**** you NDSU 2013. UNI leads for 57 minutes...gets called for an "iffy" hands to the face penalty (which happens multiple times per game with no call) with no replay to show if it happened or not....then get called for a straight 100% bull**** pass interference call...lose a potential All American LB to a broken leg and ****ing lose by 1.

****!

I knew it!xthumbsupx

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 23rd, 2013, 07:58 PM
Games are 60 minutes, not 57....

clenz
December 23rd, 2013, 08:01 PM
I have to work at 7 tomorrow morning...but I can promise you the second I get home I'm cracking my new bottle of disaronnoand finishing that ****ing thing in one sitting....dammit.

dewey
December 23rd, 2013, 08:35 PM

We both know that there are forum posters from both schools that make the rest of the fanbase look like douches.

Unfortunately all fanbases have them.

Dewey

The Ville
December 23rd, 2013, 10:30 PM
2011 EKU beating JSU 52-48

All after JSU was dominating the game and led 48-24 with seven minutes to go and blew the lead with one horrendous Jack Crowe call after another. Then we blocked their last extra point but were called for landing on a player and EKU made it again, that was huge because with only a minute to play we would have only needed a FG to tie. Instead we were down four and needed a touchdown and got inside the five and called a running play with about 15 seconds to play and no timeouts... we got stopped around the two and time ran out before we ran another play... longest time I've ever just sat in my seat after a game. And yes, it cost use the OVC and a playoff chance.

The 68-10 beat down this year in the first game back in J'ville since that game made the pain soften just slightly.

Go...gate
December 24th, 2013, 02:21 AM
1977. Delaware 21, Colgate 3, at Newark.

Last game of the season. Colgate was 10-0 going in and had been in the I-A Top 20 for only the second time in history the previous week.

A win would have sent Colgate to the Peach or Independence Bowl. Jeff Komlo led 6-3-1 UD to a fine victory.

Still considered by many to be the most bitter loss in Colgate history. Unlike 2003's NCAA I-AA title game, in which Colgate lost to one of Delaware's greatest teams, the 1977 Red Raiders, at least on paper, were the much stronger club. However, UD out-played and out-fought us and richly deserved the win.

Game 7 of the 1973 World Series (Oakland over Mets) and Game 7 of the 1988 National League Championship Series (Dodgers over Mets) are right up there in the disappointment department.

However, as another poster pointed out, we're talking games here. Life went on.

caribbeanhen
December 24th, 2013, 06:50 AM

got neg rep from ....... Red and Black for this ....... YGBFKM..... but what the heck, I can forgive him, its christmas

stevdock
December 24th, 2013, 08:02 AM

2005:

2006:

@ Iowa State 26-27

2007:

@ Iowa 16-17

I think a lot of knowledgable FCS fans knew of most of those games, but when you list them out like that and read through the details it is just insane. In my book the worst of your list might be the UND game. If you can't get a banner raising right, how the heck are you supposed to have a good season?? I didn't remember the specifics of the double blocked FG game though. I thought they were both chip shots, like inside the 10 or so.

OL FU
December 24th, 2013, 08:09 AM
1985 Championship Game. Pretty much shut down the GSU option in the first half only to see Tracy Ham throw for 4 million yards in the second half. Furman scored to go ahead with a couple of minutes in the game. I knew we scored too soon.:(

OL FU
December 24th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Furman's loss to Ga Southern in the 1985 National Championship game 44-42 when they scored with 10 seconds left.

2004 loss to App State in the semis when Ingle Martin slipped on the ice when he could have walked into the endzone.

Those were harder because of the playoff implications. The Miracle on the Mountain was the most unbelievable Furman loss ever.

The main thing that bothers me about the Miracle on the Mountain (other than it occurred) is that ASU fans seem to remind me of it constantly.xbawlingx

AshevilleApp2
December 24th, 2013, 08:18 AM
The main thing that bothers me about the Miracle on the Mountain (other than it occurred) is that ASU fans seem to remind me of it constantly.xbawlingx

Go for two!! :) :o

clenz
December 24th, 2013, 08:24 AM
I think a lot of knowledgable FCS fans knew of most of those games, but when you list them out like that and read through the details it is just insane. In my book the worst of your list might be the UND game. If you can't get a banner raising right, how the heck are you supposed to have a good season?? I didn't remember the specifics of the double blocked FG game though. I thought they were both chip shots, like inside the 10 or so.
40.5 and 40.5 yards, respectively....officially 40 then 41

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UOGtuy-Hb8

caribbeanhen
December 24th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Clenz, the recap of the Delaware UNI 2007 game is good...... real good. Delaware was a slightly better than average team made special by the weeble wobble you refer to

I had to make a small scene in a local (San Juan PR) sports bar to explain to them I wanted them to change the channel....... I kept getting, esta bien pero necestia habla con Jefe, and "jefe" was in no hurry, that's when el Gringo Loco appeared and needless to say the channel got changed

clenz
December 24th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Clenz, the recap of the Delaware UNI 2007 game is good...... real good. Delaware was a slightly better than average team made special by the weeble wobble you refer to

I had to make a small scene in a local (San Juan PR) sports bar to explain to them I wanted them to change the channel....... I kept getting, esta bien pero necestia habla con Jefe, and "jefe" was in no hurry, that's when el Gringo Loco appeared and needless to say the channel got changed

It was just surreal to watch all American/all conference/defensive player of the year DL and LBs absolutely drill him in the back/blindside at full speed, because your ol couldn't protect him for ****, and he just ****ing bounced off like two pool balls hitting each other and would complete a throw that was, at most, one yard past the marker. I know "hits"aren't a cfb stat but I'd bet we hit him 20 or more times that game. It got to the point in the second half I wanted us to only rush 3 (we likely still would have gotten to him) and play man with a ton of under zones. I can't remember a single play that UD took the top off of us, it was all right to the sticks dunk ****. What's amazing about that is warning up he was throwing the ball 65 to 75 yards on a ****ing line without even trying

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 24th, 2013, 09:16 AM

2005:

Clenz,

It wasn't snowing that day at UNH. Sunny and cold, no snowstorm.

Unfortunately, I recall the day all too well because it was my most gut wrenching loss! Fourth and two inside the UNI 30, option play left toward the UNH bench, the one UNI defender in the area goes for the QB who makes a perfect pitch to the WR running with him, nothing but god's green grass in front of him and the WR drops the ball. UNI wins 24-21. Unfortunately, I'll go to my grave or dementia with a mental image of that play.

Now, if I hadn't experienced that game, the worst loss would have been two years later when UNI and UNH met again in Cedar Falls. Thankfully, from my seat in the Dome I didn't see the UNI WR juggle the ball off his helmet before securing it just before going out of the back of the end zone for the winning score with seven seconds left in the game. If I had seen the juggling act from the stands, I might still be in an Iowa mental health institution today! xrotatehx :D

clenz
December 24th, 2013, 09:19 AM
You mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e5o75sY-WE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

To make it even better...I think that was his only td of his career, maybe first catch of the season, and he had less than 10 catches on his career

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 24th, 2013, 09:25 AM
You mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e5o75sY-WE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

To make it even better...I think that was his only td of his career, maybe first catch of the season, and he had less than 10 catches on his career

It's Christmas Eve dude! Have a heart!!! Not a chance in Hades that I click that link. xpeacex It still wasn't snowing in the 2005 game. :)

Mattymc727
December 24th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Any of those losses to UNI were as gut-wrenching as it gets. Basically UNI was the only thing that stopped Ricky Santos.

Even the last of the three, I believe Toman was a sophomore, was a tough loss to swallow.

OL FU
December 24th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Go for two!! :) :o

Thanksxblehx

Lehigh'98
December 24th, 2013, 09:41 AM
The 98 UMass qtrfinal game will always bug me, not just because it was my last game played, but I thought we were the better team that day and had about 5 plays that had any one went our way we'd have snuck out of there with a win. Then watching them win it all was almost at bad.

clenz
December 24th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Any of those losses to UNI were as gut-wrenching as it gets. Basically UNI was the only thing that stopped Ricky Santos.

Even the last of the three, I believe Toman was a sophomore, was a tough loss to swallow.

I think it was the shiney white shoes that stopped Santos.

There is a reason I didn't put the video up and only linked it...I was being nice.

I still have a big ass scar on my left shin from catching the metal seat back in front if me from jumping in excitement after that catch

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 24th, 2013, 09:47 AM

It was tough, but after the other two it just paled in comparison. Also, not much left in the gut after the other two as well as the 2006 game at UMass!! xlolx xlolx

Mattymc727
December 24th, 2013, 09:51 AM
It was tough, but after the other two it just paled in comparison. Also, not much left in the gut after the other two as well as the 2006 game at UMass!! xlolx xlolx

Seriously, these last few years of the playoff run have been pretty lame losses. I miss the excitement of the first few years! I was also at the loss to UNI in 2005. That UNH offense was so good that year too, what a disappointment.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 24th, 2013, 09:51 AM

The last one was the worst for me at the time...

Villa Nova
December 24th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Absolutely agree with you but this morning was close. About a month ago I kinda had Frisco tickets fall into my lap so I bought them before asking for time off. Was stupid enough to tell my 9 year old that I just bought them. This morning my request for Jan 3rd off was denied, so having to tell my 9 year old that we couldn't go was pretty tough. Oh did I mention he has missed exactly 1 home Bison game in his life and this was going to be our first trip to Frisco. A trip to the Drs. office with the Green and Yellow flu on the 2nd might buy you the time off needed.xsmiley_wix

EKU Toss Sweep
December 24th, 2013, 11:22 AM
I have to work at 7 tomorrow morning...but I can promise you the second I get home I'm cracking my new bottle of disaronnoand finishing that ****ing thing in one sitting....dammit.

Disaronno? Really?

Clenz - In the spirit of Christmas, how bout I get you a nice bottle of Kentucky Bourbon? It's always worked for me.

I'm looking at a bottle now just thinking about EKU's '80 loss to Boise in the chipper. I hate the prevent. It prevented a back to back National Championships that day. The '87 loss at NE Louisiana in the playoffs hurt again thanks to another dose of prevent. The '94 playoff loss at Youngstown may have hurt even more. No prevent that day, went at 'em hard and they still went down the field for the last second touchdown to take us out.

Merry Christmas to all! I'm going to a happier thread now.

SIUSalukiFan
December 24th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Maybe it's just me but if I was the fan of a team in 2013 that was close to winning its third-straight FCS national championship I'd probably just STFU about a playoff loss in 2010. Greedy MFers. xlolx

Most of the examples posted in this thread are from the playoffs and I can go that route - it was tough losing to Delaware in the 2007 semifinals at home, 20-17, knowing we had two TDs taken off the board due to penalties and we missed FGs after each one in the miserable weather. But, Flacco was damn tough in the fourth quarter. Every time Delaware needed five yards for a first down it would get six.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2007-12-08-delaware-soillinois_N.htm

From the non-playoff category, our 16-12 home loss to South Dakota State in 2012 was brutal and cost us a playoff berth. We were up, 12-9, with 2:55 to play and had just pinned SDSU at its own six-yard line after a punt. The Jackrabbits also were driving into a 20-30 mph wind but somehow went 94 yards and scored the game-winning TD with seven seconds to play. SDSU converted a 4th-and-19 from its own 10, too. Absolutely brutal.

But, the one poster from Montana has it right - these are just games. I haven't lost much sleep over any loss Southern Illinois has suffered.

clenz
December 24th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Disaronno? Really?

Clenz - In the spirit of Christmas, how bout I get you a nice bottle of Kentucky Bourbon? It's always worked for me.

It was a free bottle....from work....and it's delicious...and I don't need to explain myself to you.

Also, My address for the bourbon is able to be shared....xlolx

bjtheflamesfan
December 25th, 2013, 10:09 AM
For liberty fans there are a few candidates but two from this year stand out if they havent b een mentioned already:

ODU- went up 17-7 and then had our all conference punter kick right to their return man and give up a TD and then a blown coverage assignment leaves a receiver wide open for the game winning TD with about 27 seconds to go...and we still almost won on a hail Mary.

CCU- lose in 2OT in a game we had circled since before the schedule was announced and lose the longest active conference home winning streak at the time, to a team we had beaten by double figures the last three trips including the largest margin of victory for either side in 2011 and would go on to the FCS quarterfinals. Liberty wins that game, God himself only knows what would have hbappened this year

IBleedYellow
December 25th, 2013, 10:35 AM
I finally figured out why Clenz is a sour guy.

Damn that's a lot of heartbreaking loses.

Wilson16
December 25th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Usually people move on from the anger stage to a acceptance but being both a UNI and a Vikings fan will probably keep Clenz there for a while

phoenix3
December 25th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Gut wrenching? #1) Elon vs Richmond 1st round playoffs, 2009. 2 missed field, goals 1 for the win. Both within 35 yards. #2) Elon vs Wofford, 2010. Closing moments of the game. Score tied. Wofford throws a 30 yard bomb. Both defenders go for a pic... & miss. Reception & TD Wofford. Elon ineligible for the playoffs.

Most nauseating? Tie: 2013. Elon vs Wofford & Elon vs WCU. Probably the games that got Swepson fired.

Mr. C
December 25th, 2013, 12:12 PM
What are friends for. I've got Josh Jefferies' No. 58 jersey from that game sitting a few feet away from me here in my house. If you ever come and visit me, I'll let you try to on.

Mr. C
December 25th, 2013, 12:31 PM

just not right
I learned something about this play from the CAA conference office just last weekend while we were traveling to Eastern Washington that I had never know before (even though I was at the game and the play was run with me having an almost direct angle of it from the press box, where Brown was clearly short of the first down in real time). The NCAA didn't have a regular chain gang crew doing the chains for this, but decided to take a crew of regular on-field officials and turn them into the chain gang for this game. The problem occurred when these inexperienced crew members removed the clips from the chains that determined where the chains had been previously. The NCAA was the real culprit here.

P.S. People forget that Eastern Washington received THREE controversial favorable calls on reviewed plays in the final three playoff games against North Dakota State, Villanova and Delaware. In the Villanova game, Angelo Barbaro was clearly stopped on a fourth-quarter kickoff return, but officials on the field let the play continue, where Barbaro was stripped of the ball after the tackle and EWU ran the "fumble" in for a touchdown.

theasushow
December 25th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Illinois State blocked PAT in OT was a stinger last year...ended our season at the rock. Ouch. Rather get blown out than have your FCS era end on a PAT at home.

Ivytalk
December 25th, 2013, 07:41 PM
1. The 2012 Princeton game
2. The 2000 Cornell game