View Full Version : WIU/SHSU Series Confirmed

TexasTerror
October 14th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Today, while in Huntsville, I was able to get confirmed the fact SHSU and Western Illinois have signed a four-year deal (home-and-home) beginning in 2009. The series starts in Huntsville with games in 2009 and 2011 in Huntsville then games in Macomb in 2010 and 2012.

The Kats and Leathernecks are familiar foes having played several times since SHSU moved up to I-AA. I think it's great that SHSU continue their relation with a Gateway school having done home-and-homes with Missouri St (complete a four-year home-and-home next year) and Western Illinois (I think this is our 3rd series with them over the years).

Wish we could get some more I-AA series in the future.

th0m
October 14th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Definitely a nice match-up. Good work. Odd that something like this leaks out during a season though?

TexasTerror
October 15th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Definitely a nice match-up. Good work. Odd that something like this leaks out during a season though?

WIU reported on their site a 2009 visit to Huntsville. At the KatFans tailgate, we had someone stop by and we asked what the deal was and it was confirmed it was a four-year deal...

PantherRob82
October 15th, 2006, 12:01 PM
it's crazy that they did a 4 year deal instead of 2.

blackfordpu
October 15th, 2006, 12:24 PM

I thought the same thing but apparently it is the preferred contract length.

P2TheB
October 15th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Can you explain why you are surprised they did a 4 year contract, as opposed to 2 years? Is 2 years the typical contract length? Thanks! :)

TexasTerror
October 15th, 2006, 01:42 PM

It was a smart move, especially because it's tough for a school in the I-AA West to get a I-AA home-and-home series. If I-AA goes to 12 games, this series definitely provides security for both schools.

SHSU is trying to stick to just one I-A game each season and getting deals like this makes it easier...

purduecrum
October 15th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Today, while in Huntsville, I was able to get confirmed the fact SHSU and Western Illinois have signed a four-year deal (home-and-home) beginning in 2009. The series starts in Huntsville with games in 2009 and 2011 in Huntsville then games in Macomb in 2010 and 2012.

The Kats and Leathernecks are familiar foes having played several times since SHSU moved up to I-AA. I think it's great that SHSU continue their relation with a Gateway school having done home-and-homes with Missouri St (complete a four-year home-and-home next year) and Western Illinois (I think this is our 3rd series with them over the years).

Wish we could get some more I-AA series in the future.

Glad to see a couple of quality programs getting together. This makes more football sense than playing overmatched I-A opponents. With all of the TV coverage expanding maybe this deal will pay off in way that is better for I-AA school than accepting multiple I-A road games in a season with no return games leaving programs to schedule much inferior teams.

TexasTerror
December 5th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Anyone recall the date of the 2009 game? Seems WIU removed that information from their web site unless I'm missing something...