PDA

View Full Version : Who is #1?

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2006, 05:56 PM
With UNH losing, its a pretty good assumption there will be a new #1. Who is it?

NO HOMER VOTES!

ISUMatt
October 14th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Illinois State!!!
Not a homer vote, I feel after the SIU game, we are the best team head to toe in I-AA

Tod
October 14th, 2006, 06:00 PM
AppGuy, no offense, but I am going to re-do my list. ISU is #1, UMass is #2, ASU is #3, and Montana may be #4. I can no longer ignore (maybe that is too strong) ISU and UMass. They are beating the hell out of everybody. Weak wins by ASU and UM make me think that neither team quite deserves the top spot(s).

No offense, again, to ASU, or to my Griz, but what ISU and UMass are doing cannot be ignored.

windwalker
October 14th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Illinois State!!!

But Matt.... you didn't vote for them!!! 0 votes!!! ROFL

crunifan
October 14th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Illinois State!

windwalker
October 14th, 2006, 06:02 PM
You must have just done that when I said that!!! now laugh at me... LOL

ISUMatt
October 14th, 2006, 06:02 PM

I am this week, I had them #3 last week

Tod
October 14th, 2006, 06:04 PM
I am this week, I had them #3 last week

I guarantee your vote will not be thrown out. :thumbsup:

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2006, 06:07 PM
AppGuy, no offense, but I am going to re-do my list. ISU is #1, UMass is #2, ASU is #3, and Montana may be #4. I can no longer ignore (maybe that is too strong) ISU and UMass. They are beating the hell out of everybody. Weak wins by ASU and UM make me think that neither team quite deserves the top spot(s).

No offense, again, to ASU, or to my Griz, but what ISU and UMass are doing cannot be ignored.

OK, I can respcect your opinion, however I do disagree. Other than their loss to NC State, App has been doing the same thing ISU and UMass did today. That being said, Just b/c ASU had a bad game today and ISU and UMass played well, doesn't mean they are better. None of the 3 have a I-AA loss, so I see where each have an argument. ASU has not had a close game until today, ISU struggled to beat a questionable WKU team last week. I can accept a vote for UMass #1, but not ISU over ASU

RabidRabbit
October 14th, 2006, 06:07 PM
:) Gotta go with the undefeated team with a IA win. :hurray: Only one left in that category is NDSU. :hurray: It may only be for a week until U of MN, but then again, we'll have to see. NDSU may have 10K in the Humpty Dome for the Gophs game, semi taking away the homefield advantage.:thumbsup:

U of MN is the cellar dweller with Northwestern in the Big 10.

kirkblitz
October 14th, 2006, 06:08 PM
app state because wofford is a good team ;)

ISUMatt
October 14th, 2006, 06:11 PM
To this point, ISU has played a tougher schedule than ASU, played the I-A team closer than ASU, and have defeated 2 I-AA ranked teams so far including #7 SIU...All im saying its not unthinkable that ISU is better than ASU, not at all!!!...now if ASU gets that non D-I game off there schedule...Ask YSU about those gamesd and hurting you later in the season!

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2006, 06:13 PM
To this point, ISU has played a tougher schedule than ASU, played the I-A team closer than ASU, and have defeated 2 I-AA ranked teams so far including #7 SIU...All im saying its not unthinkable that ISU is better than ASU, not at all!!!...now if ASU gets that non D-I game off there schedule...Ask YSU about those gamesd and hurting you later in the season!

Trust me, I never said it was unreasonable. I think there are 3 teams that are legit #1's right now(ASU, ISU, UMass). I can not argue against any of the 3 receiving votes.

AZGrizFan
October 14th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Trust me, I never said it was unreasonable. I think there are 3 teams that are legit #1's right now(ASU, ISU, UMass). I can not argue against any of the 3 receiving votes.

Not Montana, AppGuy? We haven't lost to a I-AA team this year....or is that the East Coast bias slippin' in there? :confused: :eyebrow: ;) :rolleyes: : smh : : smh : : smh :

th0m
October 14th, 2006, 06:21 PM
I voted ASU, but the second I voted I was like, hey this is actually a tougher question that it seems....

So, I don't know. (but I did vote ASU)

Tod
October 14th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Not Montana, AppGuy? We haven't lost to a I-AA team this year....or is that the East Coast bias slippin' in there? :confused: :eyebrow: ;) :rolleyes: : smh : : smh : : smh :

Montana is not even in the running for #1. :(

umassfan
October 14th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Montana is not even in the running for #1. :(
They arent in the running by some because they dont win by larger amounts. They still are in my top 5 easy. Id put them number 4.

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2006, 06:25 PM

They struggles to beat NAU today and Portland St 2 weeks ago. The 3 teams I mentioned have looked better IMO

I do currently have Montana at #3 in my poll, but UMass and ISU will probably jump them and drop them to #4

Tod
October 14th, 2006, 06:26 PM
They struggles to beat NAU today and Portland St 2 weeks ago. The 3 teams I mentioned have looked better IMO

I do currently have Montana at #3 in my poll, but UMass and ISU will probably jump them and drop them to #4

yup...:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2006, 06:28 PM
yup...:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Sarcasm?

redbirdtim
October 14th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Because I think we could have played a lot better in some aspects of the game, I voted App St. #1. I would put us at #2 right now. Show me a big win at WIU and I'll consider it. Wins vs WIU and YSU and I would put them as #1.

X-Factor
October 14th, 2006, 06:29 PM
ASU....they are defending champs are still playing like they can take another. Close games happen from time to time. Good teams find a way to win even when they are flat.

Ronbo
October 14th, 2006, 06:37 PM

Look at the box score genius. We had NAU 24-10 till we went into the 4th quarter run, run, run, offense to run down the clock. Then we fumbled a kick and they were back in it but never crossed the 30 yard line again after it was 24-21. We held one of the nations best passers to 93 yards and the entire NAU offense to 191 yards. The game wasn't as close as the score.

Tod
October 14th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Look at the box score genius. We had NAU 24-10 till we went into the 4th quarter run, run, run, offense to run down the clock. Then we fumbled a kick and they were back in it but never crossed the 30 yard line again after it was 24-21. We held one of the nations best passers to 93 yards and the entire NAU offense to 191 yards. The game wasn't as close as the score.

You'd vote (or will vote, I don't know if you do or not) Montana #1?

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2006, 06:41 PM

The same thing against Portland St. The MO of a #1 team should not be to let teams back in the game. My :twocents:

Ronbo
October 14th, 2006, 06:41 PM
No but who cares what is voted here, the Sports Network will have us number 2 and that's just where we want to be.

Ronbo
October 14th, 2006, 06:43 PM
The same thing against Portland St. The MO of a #1 team should not be to let teams back in the game. My :twocents:

Write our Coach, he is very sensitive about not embarrassing the other team.

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2006, 06:43 PM
No but who cares what is voted here, the Sports Network will have us number 2 and that's just where we want to be.

I don't think its that clear cut, but we shall see

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Write our Coach, he is very sensitive about not embarrassing the other team.

We're talking 3 scores at most, not 60-0:cool: :rolleyes:

Kiss My Apps
October 14th, 2006, 06:46 PM
In the immortal words of the "Nature Boy" Ric Flair (who was in attendance today at the Rock)...

To be the man... You have to beat the man. The defending champs are undefeated in I-AA games. Further, App beat the man (JMU) who beat the man (UNH in everyone's eyes until today).

App State should go into Statesboro as the #1 team in the land. :nod:

Ronbo
October 14th, 2006, 06:48 PM
We're talking 3 scores at most, not 60-0:cool: :rolleyes:

Why does he go run up the gut, run up the gut and run up the gut with almost 11:00 minutes to go? They were trying to milk the clock and felt comfortable with the 24-10 lead. Hey it's frustrating but that's what they do. As I said NAU never crossed the 30 again after they got to 21. The game was never in doubt, they never even got close to field goal territory.

gsugt1
October 14th, 2006, 06:50 PM
App State should go into Statesboro as the #1 team in the land. :nod:

GSU has never lost to a #1 ranked at home :nod:

Tod
October 14th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Why does he go run up the gut, run up the gut and run up the gut with almost 11:00 minutes to go? They were trying to milk the clock and felt comfortable with the 24-10 lead. Hey it's frustrating but that's what they do.

And it damn near cost us the game. Maybe it's because he's stupid?

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Why does he go run up the gut, run up the gut and run up the gut with almost 11:00 minutes to go? They were trying to milk the clock and felt comfortable with the 24-10 lead. Hey it's frustrating but that's what they do. As I said NAU never crossed the 30 again after they got to 21. The game was never in doubt, they never even got close to field goal territory.

Which is fine for the W, but you know as well as I that the vast majority of voters do NOT look at the box score, they look at the final score.

blur2005
October 14th, 2006, 06:54 PM
This is going to be a tough week to determine who is number 1 overall. I know that the debate will be between App State and Illinois State for me.

nevadagriz
October 14th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Ronbo pleeease quit talking out of your ass! The griz are top 5 but not #1. They also started to run a litttle more because our o-line was a sieve(sp?)
today! Nau made a good comeback and yes the game was as close as the score! Tod coach Hauck is not stupid! As long as the Griz continue to win they will have a shot to be #1 when it matters, after the NC game.
Oh yeah I would put ASU,umass,ndsu,um,isu,unh.

rufus
October 14th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I love that UNH is an option in this poll, but the team that just beat them (and has the same record) is not. JMU is 5-1 with its only loss coming by less than 2 touchdowns at App State.

I'm not saying that JMU is #1 (my vote goes to App State), but I think its absurd to include the team we just defeated without including JMU. :confused:

Ronbo
October 14th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Ronbo pleeease quit talking out of your ass! The griz are top 5 but not #1. They also started to run a litttle more because our o-line was a sieve(sp?)
today! Nau made a good comeback and yes the game was as close as the score! Tod coach Hauck is not stupid! As long as the Griz continue to win they will have a shot to be #1 when it matters, after the NC game.

I never said they were number 1. But they won't drop, fool! These guys are talking about dropping them. If we go 10-1 we'll get a top 2 seed and there's zero any AGS voter can do about that. The NCAA loves us and our 24,000 paying fans.

DB_Atlantic10
October 14th, 2006, 07:21 PM
I honestly think UMass should be number one right now...with App St and UM struggling in close wins at home to not so hot teams, UMass had a great win on the road by shutting out a 4-1 Ranked Towson team 35 to 0.... I would have to say.....

UMass #1
App St #2
UMontana #3
Il. State #4

after that it's all up in the air....with JMU coming in at #8 since so many already ahead of them had victories.....

nevadagriz
October 14th, 2006, 07:31 PM
My harsh statement was directed towards you saying we began to run between the tackles with 11min to go. Sorry by the way that was harsh. What is even harsher is the fact that evrytime swoggs dropped back the he had Nau defenders in his face, on his back, and around his feet! That is why they began to run a little more not because the Griz were so superior they began to feel bad and not hurt Naus feelings! Which is the way you made it sound!

griz37
October 14th, 2006, 07:32 PM

Ronbo I am still waiting for you to leave this website since all you do is bitch about it. Unlike Egriz, which I spend a lot of time & have lots of posts on, the Griz fans here can see that we are far from the 1st or 2nd best team right now. Our defense played great, no doubt. But once again the special teams had to save our asses today. The offense struggled mightily. You say the game wasn't as close as the score? It was every bit a 3 point win, which we were lucky to escape with.

MR. CHICKEN
October 14th, 2006, 07:37 PM
"MOUSEKETEERS".......GET DUH PROMOTION................:nod:....AWK!

Umass74
October 14th, 2006, 07:42 PM
I honestly think UMass should be number one right now...with App St and UM struggling in close wins at home to not so hot teams, UMass had a great win on the road by shutting out a 4-1 Ranked Towson team 35 to 0.... I would have to say.....

UMass #1
App St #2
UMontana #3
Il. State #4

after that it's all up in the air....with JMU

UMass is not #1 at this time. The Towson game was flawed by the fact that the Tigers QB Sean Schaefer DNP due to mumps. He left practice friday night and Towson did not have any time to even practice with the backup.

I think UMass would have won anyway (they're my team), but Towson had no chance without Schaefer...

Tod
October 14th, 2006, 07:43 PM

I don't think Hauck is stupid, I asked the question as to whether or not he's stupid. I'm not a coach, and I won't question Hauck, we won, after all.

I think he may have made mistakes in the second half, but that's ok, we won. :thumbsup:

VictorG
October 14th, 2006, 07:46 PM
What is even harsher is the fact that every time swoggs dropped back the he had Nau defenders in his face, on his back, and around his feet!

Did anyone but me watch the field while Swoggs was trying to pass and getting sacked or hurried or knocked down? The were NO receivers within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage EVER! No outlet receivers, no receivers on underneath patterns. EVERYTHING was deep. It was like the Griz were afraid of N.A. double flex defense and decided that the way to beat the blitz was to make them pay for it with long passes. IMO this was the worst offensive game plan I've seen from the Griz since the 2nd half of the NDSU game.

AZGrizFan
October 14th, 2006, 07:49 PM

I've only got one thing to say about that: The rest of the country better look out if the UM offense starts clicking on all cylinders. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

NAU is a much better team than people give them credit for, and it's funny: a LOT of people thought PSU would BEAT the Griz in Portland. So now that they "struggled" to win against a highly ranked PSU squad and a vastly improved NAU team they're falling in your eyes? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ronbo
October 14th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Ronbo I am still waiting for you to leave this website since all you do is bitch about it. Unlike Egriz, which I spend a lot of time & have lots of posts on, the Griz fans here can see that we are far from the 1st or 2nd best team right now. Our defense played great, no doubt. But once again the special teams had to save our asses today. The offense struggled mightily. You say the game wasn't as close as the score? It was every bit a 3 point win, which we were lucky to escape with.

Were you at the game? NAU NEVER CAME CLOSE to even tying the game much less winning it. You are wrong sir. We had the game in hand and NAU never had a chance. They couldn't cross their own 30 yard line the last half of the 4th quarter. Screw the AGS voters that want to drop us past number 3. They'll have zero to say about our seed if we win out.

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2006, 07:54 PM
I love that UNH is an option in this poll, but the team that just beat them (and has the same record) is not. JMU is 5-1 with its only loss coming by less than 2 touchdowns at App State.

I'm not saying that JMU is #1 (my vote goes to App State), but I think its absurd to include the team we just defeated without including JMU. :confused:

I only included them to see if anyone would actually still vote them #1

VictorG
October 14th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Ronbo I am still waiting for you to leave this website since all you do is bitch about it. Unlike Egriz, which I spend a lot of time & have lots of posts on, the Griz fans here

Griz37,

Please leave your personal vendettas over on eGriz. Right/wrong I don't give a crap but the bickering continued by you and your "like" have pretty well driven me from that board. I come here for information and conversation and now I see you're bringing your vendetta over here. PLEASE leave it at home!

PLEASE!!!!!!

griz37
October 14th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Were you at the game? NAU NEVER CAME CLOSE to even tying the game much less losing it. You are wrong sir. We had the game in hand and NAU never had a chance. They couldn't cross the 30 yard line the last half of the 4th quarter.

Yup I was there in the North Endzone. NAU had the ball down 3, so if you think we had the game in hand & NAU never had a chance then you are wrong!

Ronbo
October 14th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Yup I was there in the North Endzone. NAU had the ball down 3, so if you think we had the game in hand & NAU never had a chance then you are wrong!
That's what a truly IGNORANT person does when they are losing an argument they call names. By the way voters, if you drop the Griz you better drop App. State too as they barely beat a pathetic Wofford 14-7. Way to let them almost win Mountianeers.

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2006, 08:01 PM
I've only got one thing to say about that: The rest of the country better look out if the UM offense starts clicking on all cylinders. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

NAU is a much better team than people give them credit for, and it's funny: a LOT of people thought PSU would BEAT the Griz in Portland. So now that they "struggled" to win against a highly ranked PSU squad and a vastly improved NAU team they're falling in your eyes? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Montana is not necessarily falling, more like ISU and UMass deserve it more RIGHT NOW. That may change in the coming weeks.

As for defense, ours saved us several times today. Wofford could have easily won that game but our D clamped down when they had to.

RabidRabbit
October 14th, 2006, 08:12 PM
:bang: Why is App St. or UMass better than a team that is undefeated, has dominated all their opponents, and has a complete team? #1 in rushing defense, a punishing running game, and big yards in the air from a QB who's completing 70% of his passes. Wins over an IA, ranked I-AA's, and play in the toughest conference? :bang:

RabidRabbit
October 14th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Likewise, #4 Cal Poly didn't play today. Other than a good San Jose St., no losses. Only the tightness of their games indicate that they shouldn't be #1.

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2006, 08:17 PM
:bang: Why is App St. or UMass better than a team that is undefeated, has dominated all their opponents, and has a complete team? #1 in rushing defense, a punishing running game, and big yards in the air from a QB who's completing 70% of his passes. Wins over an IA, ranked I-AA's, and play in the toughest conference? :bang:

Well, lets see:

1) You have dominated people b/c you haven't played anyone yet. Georgia Southern was your toughest game and we all know how they are down.
2) Ball St barely counts as I-A team. Thats like beating Temple.
3) You may have the toughest conference but you haven't played a conference game yet, so can't use that as an argument
4) You struggled to beat a 1-5, soon to be 1-6 SFA team

blukeys
October 14th, 2006, 08:18 PM

Playing in the toughest conference sounds like UMASS!!!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

ISUMatt
October 14th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Not 1 team NDSU has beat so far has more than 3 wins or an above 500 record! SO FAR!!!

Tod
October 14th, 2006, 08:20 PM

That's what a truly IGNORANT person does when they are losing an argument they call names. By the way voters, if you drop the Griz you better drop App. State too as they barely beat a pathetic Wofford 14-7. Way to let them almost win Mountianeers.

Where to begin...

Ronbo, saying you are wrong is not name-calling. In fact, in this case, it's the truth. When you give the other team the ball when they're down by three, the game is not in hand, it's up for grabs. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: : smh :

Wofford is not a pathetic team. If you followed I-AA football more, and weren't such a damn homer, you'd know that.

You've just become the new epitome of homerism. FlyYtown and umassfan have got nothin' on you. They are reasonable. You are not. Congrats. :rolleyes:

FlyYtown
October 14th, 2006, 08:34 PM
1. ILLINOIS STATE
2. APPY STATE
3. YOUNGSTOWN STATE

blukeys
October 14th, 2006, 08:42 PM
You've just become the new epitome of homerism. FlyYtown and umassfan have got nothin' on you. They are reasonable. You are not. Congrats.

1. ILLINOIS STATE
2. APPY STATE
3. YOUNGSTOWN STATE

Tod you spoke too soon. :( :( :nono: :nono: :nono:

FlyYtown
October 14th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Blukeyes, how am I saying YSU @ 3rd is being that homeristic? They are likely going to be 5th in the polls, is me saying 3rd place that out in left field?

I do not think so, in all honesty, if we win out this year, which I do not think will happen, but if we do, are we #1????

Tod
October 14th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Tod you spoke too soon. :( :( :nono: :nono: :nono:

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Maybe so. :rolleyes:

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Blukeyes, how am I saying YSU @ 3rd is being that homeristic? They are likely going to be 5th in the polls, is me saying 3rd place that out in left field?

I do not think so, in all honesty, if we win out this year, which I do not think will happen, but if we do, are we #1????

For most voters, the top 4 teams are gonna be a combination of ASU, ISU, Montana and UMass. Is it out of left field that you have your team at #3, no, but most voters won't:twocents:

BillLuc1982
October 14th, 2006, 08:47 PM
App State = Defending Champs

There are a lot of teams capable of beating App State. However, in order to be #1, you gotta beat #1. That's why I say App State is #1 now.

FlyYtown
October 14th, 2006, 08:48 PM
For most voters, the top 4 teams are gonna be a combination of ASU, ISU, Montana and UMass. Is it out of left field that you have your team at #3, no, but most voters won't:twocents:

And you are probably right. I am just putting YSU's 2 Top 25 wins in that equation, and the final 3 of 4 vs. Top 25 teams..... two at home. I think this is a 9-2 team.

Going to be a fun Saturday next week vs. UNI.... One of the best games in years at the Ice Castle is coming up!

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2006, 08:50 PM
And you are probably right. I am just putting YSU's 2 Top 25 wins in that equation, and the final 3 of 4 vs. Top 25 teams..... two at home. I think this is a 9-2 team.

Going to be a fun Saturday next week vs. UNI.... One of the best games in years at the Ice Castle is coming up!

I'm assuming you already had YSU in the top 3

ISUMatt
October 14th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Gonna be a fun game to watch on Gateway TV!!

dungeonjoe
October 14th, 2006, 08:52 PM

pathetic??? You are right-- a truly ignorant person does call names :rolleyes:

October 14th, 2006, 08:54 PM
For most voters, the top 4 teams are gonna be a combination of ASU, ISU, Montana and UMass...What about Cal Poly?

Hansel
October 14th, 2006, 08:55 PM
What about Cal Poly?
too far west :p

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2006, 08:56 PM
What about Cal Poly?

I think them being Idle hurts them this week. The outstanding performances by UMass and ISU will stick out in the voters mind.

poly51
Appalachian St
Montana
Illinois St
Cal Poly
Youngstown State
North Dakota St

New Hampshire falls, everybody else moves up.

ISUMatt
Welcome Ralph...how was Normal, IL today??? :)

dungeonjoe
October 14th, 2006, 08:58 PM
1. Appalachian State
2. Montana
3. Cal Poly
4. Ill St.
5. UMass
6. Youngstown

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Appalachian St
Montana
Illinois St
Cal Poly
Youngstown State
North Dakota St

New Hampshire falls, everybody else moves up.

and how far do they fall? thats the hard question

GreatAppSt
October 14th, 2006, 09:04 PM
1. ILLINOIS STATE
2. APPY:nono: STATE
3. YOUNGSTOWN STATE

Didn't you mean to write it like this.

1. ILLY STATE
2. APPY STATE
3. YOUNGSY STATE

: smh : : smh : : smh :

MarkCCU
October 14th, 2006, 09:16 PM
i think AppState might drift up front and be the #1 spot. why? why not?

blukeys
October 14th, 2006, 09:24 PM
and how far do they fall? thats the hard question

They've had a tough run with 2 emotional wins in the last 3 weeks (counting today). They still have the best all around QB in I-AA and are a tough game for anyone on AnyGivenSaturday. Despite the beat down I will have them as a top 10 or top 15 team. However, both JMU and UMass have to be ranked ahead of them.

I thought Umass was a more potentially dangerous playoff team than UNH last year. Umass still has that solid defense and very physical offense. So far I don't see any top 10 team that doesn't have weaknesses and the balance this year in I-AA is unbelievable.

October 14th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Welcome Ralph...how was Normal, IL today??? :)Oh ya know, ILS won again... ho hum. Pierre Rembert (1td) and Rafael Rice (2tds) had fun in the red endzone while the fanatics had fun in the stands.

FlyYtown
October 14th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Can somehow tell me how Cal Poly would gain spots after being idle.. and how UMASS Jumps 4 spots after beating a not so great #22 Towson?

Makes no since to me...

UNHWildCats
October 14th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Cal Poly has a chance to be my #1 because ASU and Montana werent so impressive today

Tod
October 14th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Cal Poly has a chance to be my #1 because ASU and Montana werent so impressive today

No offense to Cal Poly, but they have had their share of close games to so-so opponents as well.

Illinois State, UMass, or ASU is #1, IMHO.

birdsflyhigh
October 14th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Looks like a few posters are discounting YSU's win today over WIU.
The Penguins beat a backs-against-the-wall Leathernecks team on the road in Macomb on WIU's homecoming. IMO that's a pretty impressive win for YSU!! :nod:

slostang
October 14th, 2006, 10:47 PM
No offense to Cal Poly, but they have had their share of close games to so-so opponents as well.

Illinois State, UMass, or ASU is #1, IMHO.
No offense taken (no pun intended). I do not feel that Cal Poly is #1, but with their defense they are a top 5 team. I am looking forward to the Nov. 4th meeting with the Griz in Missoula.

blukeys
October 14th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Can somehow tell me how Cal Poly would gain spots after being idle.. and how UMASS Jumps 4 spots after beating a not so great #22 Towson?

Makes no since to me...

I really don't know but every time you post YSU goes down a spot on my ballot and Umass goes up a spot on my ballot. This holds of course until UMASSFAN posts and says something as dumb as what you say and then I am forced to reverse myself again. xidiotx xidiotx

If both of you would just never say anything again then the rest of us might sort all of this out but I don't think this will happen. So from here on out at 11:44 EST (Sorry Ralph no CST) I will simply reduce YSU on my ballot by the number of your posts and do the same for UMASSFAN for UMASS. With the difference between the two I will add that to my original ballot for this week and vote accordingly. I don't know if other voters will follow me but I KNOW A TON OF THEM WILL BE SORELY TEMPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Tod
October 14th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Looks like a few posters are discounting YSU's win today over WIU.
The Penguins beat a backs-against-the-wall Leathernecks team on the road in Macomb on WIU's homecoming. IMO that's a pretty impressive win for YSU!! :nod:

...and you will be rewarded...

http://pluto.spaceports.com/~lms/ls36.jpg

blackfordpu
October 14th, 2006, 10:51 PM
App. State

Tod
October 14th, 2006, 10:54 PM
No offense taken (no pun intended). I do not feel that Cal Poly is #1, but with their defense they are a top 5 team. I am looking forward to the Nov. 4th meeting with the Griz in Missoula.

'stang, I'm just being honest. The Griz are dropping in my poll, after a win against a good NAU team. I just think it's time to re-think this. I'm going to have some strange (maybe) movement in my poll, but I'd rather do what I feel is right than try to justify my previous poll(s) (which were not bad, but I think there are some adjustments that need to be made). Absolutely Cal Poly is a top team! :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :thumbsup:

FlyYtown
October 14th, 2006, 10:59 PM
I really don't know but every time you post YSU goes down a spot on my ballot and Umass goes up a spot on my ballot. This holds of course until UMASSFAN posts and says something as dumb as what you say and then I am forced to reverse myself again. xidiotx xidiotx

If both of you would just never say anything again then the rest of us might sort all of this out but I don't think this will happen. So from here on out at 11:44 EST (Sorry Ralph no CST) I will simply reduce YSU on my ballot by the number of your posts and do the same for UMASSFAN for UMASS. With the difference between the two I will add that to my original ballot for this week and vote accordingly. I don't know if other voters will follow me but I KNOW A TON OF THEM WILL BE SORELY TEMPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

LOL.. Ask anyone on this site, I've been on my best behavior since about 3 weeks ago. I am sorry if you think my comments are soo bad, but I've cut all my trashtalking, and I am trying to make a point... Isn't that the beauty of a message board?

FargoBison
October 14th, 2006, 11:01 PM
1.App St
2.Montana
3.ISU
4.YSU
5.NDSU

Appstate29
October 14th, 2006, 11:13 PM
i'm going with ISU on this one.
One, because they have been very impressive and IMO have played a tougher schedule than ASU, and 2 I am superstitious about putting ASU at 1st

Go Bison
October 14th, 2006, 11:26 PM
I voted for App St. They are the champs and deserve to be #1. Illinois State is #2. It is nice to see NDSU get mentioned.

Go Bison
October 14th, 2006, 11:31 PM

I look forward to Cal Poly coming to the Fargodome the week after. That will be a slugfest.

slostang
October 14th, 2006, 11:41 PM
I look forward to Cal Poly coming to the Fargodome the week after. That will be a slugfest.
Absolutely. Heavy weight championship fight with major GWFC implications.:thumbsup:

SeattleGriz
October 14th, 2006, 11:57 PM
App State got my #1 vote.

Just got done watching the replay of the Montana game and I am actually quite impressed Montana won considering they played poorly in many categories. Always good to see your team find a way to win when they are not playing up to potential. Not worthy of #1 though.

TexasTerror
October 15th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Change of vote...

When it came time to vote, I switched from Appy State to Illinois St. Was impressed with the win this past week and I think that Illinois St has a good shot as any to run the table from here on out...

Tribe4SF
October 15th, 2006, 07:49 AM
UMass gets my vote this week. I've had them #2 for awhile, and they've done nothing but impress.

Saint3333
October 15th, 2006, 09:25 AM
A. UNH received ~80 out of 85 first place votes from this site last week.

B. They lost at home by 20 to JMU a team that the #2 team in land beat earlier in the season with their now 2nd string QB.

Logic would say ASU is number 1 now, but UMass, Montana, and ISU have a great case as well. The champion is decided on the field and as long as ASU can stay undefeated I believe they would be worthy of the #1 or #2 seed which is way more important to me than the #1 ranking.

I personally could care less and would rather ASU remain at #2 until December 15th :smiley_wi .

MplsBison
October 15th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Illinois State and UMass are both up there. 3 through 8 is kind of a jumble.

FlyYtown
October 15th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Logic would say ASU is number 1 now, but UMass, Montana, and ISU have a great case as well.

You've got to be kidding me right?! UMASS? They beat an overrated Towson team?

Illinois State is better, and even YSU has a case over UMASS. We beat #16 UC-Davis by 38-24 and #23 Maine 34-14; if you want us to win the next 3 games, all vs. ranked teams, then maybe we will be considered at #1 for once lol..... But UMASS.. you gotta be kidding me!

MplsBison
October 15th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Both ISU and UM are 5-1 with each having lost to a I-A by 1 point.

Those are the 2 top I-AA teams at the moment.

Saint3333
October 15th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Flytown four days ago said: "UC-Davis passed all over us, Maine did anything they pleased for 30 minutes vs. us.... Indiana State passed all over us.

Our defense has a ton of talent, but they are allowing way to many yards to be a title contender..."

Now I'm crazy...

YSU has a great team. They are 5th in my poll with all kinds of opportunity to move up given their last four games (probably the hardest in the country). YSU's defense isn't there yet to be the #1 team in the nation, UMass's defense could be though.

FlyYtown
October 15th, 2006, 10:26 AM

SIU BEAT a I-A Team 35-28, but they lost and are now 5-1... But how are they NOT 1-2?????

Your logic is bad there my friend, in the end, you can win by 1 or lose by 1, but they each lost, and if you give a team credit for LOSING, Shame on you.....

Everyone is touting UMASS's blowout win over Towson; but like I keep saying, an overrated Towson team. With 4 wins over teams no where near the Top 25.

AppGuy04
October 15th, 2006, 10:28 AM
You've got to be kidding me right?! UMASS? They beat an overrated Towson team?

Illinois State is better, and even YSU has a case over UMASS. We beat #16 UC-Davis by 38-24 and #23 Maine 34-14; if you want us to win the next 3 games, all vs. ranked teams, then maybe we will be considered at #1 for once lol..... But UMASS.. you gotta be kidding me!

Body of work Fly

put your allegiances aside for a second

if you put them side by side, ASU, ISU, UMass, and hell even if you include your boys, they all have practically the same resume. Sure, there are small differences, but you can't argue how UMass has dominated people.

When UNH was blowing people out, they were the unquestioned #1. UMass has done the same thing, just with defense. They have just as much right to #1 as ASU or ISU do

th0m
October 15th, 2006, 10:29 AM

UMass lost by 1 point to Navy.

FlyYtown
October 15th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Throw out YSU in my comments here. I am trying to defend Illinois State-Montana-Appy State.... who all in my opinion have very impressive wins over some good teams. I do not see that in UMASS.

I don't give credit for teams losing....
Illinois State just dominated the 7th ranked team in the nation, they literally blew them out. In my book, that is deserving of a #1 rating.

None of my comments are trying to defend YSU here, we aren't a #1 team yet.... and won't be unless we win out, which I don't think we will do.

1. ILLINOIS STATE
2. APPY STATE
3. MONTANA
4. YSU
5. CAL POLY

MplsBison
October 15th, 2006, 10:46 AM
SIU BEAT a I-A Team 35-28, but they lost and are now 5-1... But how are they NOT 1-2?????

Because SIU lost to a I-AA team.

Neither UMass nor ISU have.

1 ISU
2 UMass
3 Montana
4 YSU
5 ASU

All 5 of these teams have not lost to an I-AA and have 1 loss to an I-A. Ap State goes lower because, frankly, the SoCon is down.

FlyYtown
October 15th, 2006, 10:50 AM

1 ISU
2 UMass
3 Montana
4 YSU
5 ASU

SIU BEAT I-A Indiana; you keep stressing this I-A thing... Well I got a team who BEAT a I-A team and is 5-1... They must deserve to be #1 if the ratings revolve around I-A GAMES!

Anyways, you know it will likely be like this:
1. APPY STATE
2. ILLINOIS STATE
3. MONTANA
4. CAL POLY/YSU
5. YSU/CAL POLY
6. UMASS

MplsBison
October 15th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Losing to an I-AA > beating a low ranked I-A, as far as the I-AA rankings go.

Saint3333
October 15th, 2006, 10:55 AM

1 ISU
2 UMass
3 Montana
4 YSU
5 ASU

All 5 of these teams have not lost to an I-AA and have 1 loss to an I-A. Ap State goes lower because, frankly, the SoCon is down.

So a TEAM does down because their conference is having a down year, sorry bison that doesn't make sense... Didn't ASU beat a team currently on top of the powerful A-10 fairly comfortably?

MplsBison
October 15th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Early in the season doesn't impress me as much as late in the season.

The SoCon in general doesn't impress me all that much this season. If ASU doesn't want to be associated with that, then maybe you should move up to I-A. Until then, you will be associated with how Furman and GA So are doing. That's just how it is.

PantherRob82
October 15th, 2006, 11:50 AM
You gotta go with App St until they lose.

I'd say

1. ASU
2. Montana
3. Illinois St
4. UMass
5. NDSU
6. YSU

griz37
October 15th, 2006, 11:51 AM
I won't post my whole poll until Monday afternoon but here is how I voted my top 5.

1.) App. St.
2.) Illinois St.
3.) Montana - same spot as last week
4.) Cal Poly
5) NDSU

The Cats
October 15th, 2006, 12:11 PM
With UNH losing, its a pretty good assumption there will be a new #1. Who is it?

NO HOMER VOTES!

Don Hansen's Poll, Oct, 15, 2006

http://www.donhansen.com/polls/ncaa1-aa.php

OCT. 15, 2006

1 JAMES MADISON 5-1
2 ILLINOIS STATE 5-1
3 YOUNGSTOWN STATE 6-1
4 APPALACHIAN STATE 6-1
5 MONTANA 5-1
6 MASSACHUSETTS 5-1
7 CAL POLY 5-1
8 HAMPTON 7-0
9 NORTH DAKOTA STATE 6-0
10 NEW HAMPSHIRE 5-1
11 NORTHERN IOWA 4-2
12 RICHMOND 5-1
13 FURMAN 5-2
14 TENNESSEE-MARTIN 5-1
15 SAN DIEGO 6-0
16 SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 5-1
17 CHARLESTON SOUTH. 6-0
18 COASTAL CAROLINA 5-2
19 HARVARD 5-0
20 WESTERN KENTUCKY 3-3

Appstate29
October 15th, 2006, 12:16 PM
....That guy must have spent a fortune on drugs before he made that poll

AppGuy04
October 15th, 2006, 12:17 PM

OCT. 15, 2006

1 JAMES MADISON 5-1
2 ILLINOIS STATE 5-1
3 YOUNGSTOWN STATE 6-1
4 APPALACHIAN STATE 6-1
5 MONTANA 5-1
6 MASSACHUSETTS 5-1
7 CAL POLY 5-1
8 HAMPTON 7-0
9 NORTH DAKOTA STATE 6-0
10 NEW HAMPSHIRE 5-1
11 NORTHERN IOWA 4-2
12 RICHMOND 5-1
13 FURMAN 5-2
14 TENNESSEE-MARTIN 5-1
15 SAN DIEGO 6-0
16 SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 5-1
17 CHARLESTON SOUTH. 6-0
18 COASTAL CAROLINA 5-2
19 HARVARD 5-0
20 WESTERN KENTUCKY 3-3

:pumpuke: :pumpuke: :pumpuke: :pumpuke: :pumpuke: :pumpuke: :pumpuke: :pumpuke: :pumpuke: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :flagged: :flagged: :flagged: :flagged: :flagged: :flagged: :flagged: :flagged:

th0m
October 15th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Hahah, this is the first time I like this Don Hansen's poll :-D

FlyYtown
October 15th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Wow we dropped a spot in the Hansen Poll LOL.....
1. Appy State
2. Illinois State
3. Montana
4. Cal Poly
5. Youngstown State
6. UMass

birdsflyhigh
October 15th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Am I missing something here? Pollsters are now giving NDSU more #1 votes than ISU? That's hard to believe considering the "big win" for NDSU is one over I-A Ball State. Yes, Ball State is I-A, but they are 2-5, and those 2 wins are over teams with a 1-11 record. Folks Ball State would be at-best a middle of the road I-AA team.

I like NDSU's program, but really don't understand pollster's logic on giving them #1 votes because they are undefeated at 6-0. Look at their schedule and ask yourself if the Bison have beaten ANY team that's would qualify as good. Hmmmm?

Guess we'll find out next weekend when a 2-5 Minnesota team takes on the Bison. The Gophers and Ball State have the same record, but there is a world of difference. Know NDSU fans are excited about their team, and they should be because they're VERY good, but from here on out the Bison's schedule will tell the tale.

I DO completely respect NDSU, and think that if the Bison were playoff eligible, they could do some damage...no doubt about that! :bow:

FlyYtown
October 15th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Am I missing something here? Pollsters are now giving NDSU more #1 votes than ISU? That's hard to believe considering the "big win" for NDSU is one over I-A Ball State. Yes, Ball State is I-A, but they are 2-5, and those 2 wins are over teams with a 1-11 record. Folks Ball State would be at-best a middle of the road I-AA team.

I like NDSU's program, but really don't understand pollster's logic on giving them #1 votes because they are undefeated at 6-0. Look at their schedule and ask yourself if the Bison have beaten ANY team that's would qualify as good. Hmmmm?

Guess we'll find out next weekend when a 2-5 Minnesota team takes on the Bison. The Gophers and Ball State have the same record, but there is a world of difference. Know NDSU fans are excited about their team, and they should be because they're VERY good, but from here on out the Bison's schedule will tell the tale.

I DO completely respect NDSU, and think that if the Bison were playoff eligible, they could do some damage...no doubt about that! :bow:

Birdsfly..... I am wondering the same thing. Are these polls all about how you do vs. a I-A Team? If so then thats why UMASS is that high, because they haven't beat anyone all that good, Towson is not that good people.... Just look.

YSU deserves to be higher than UMass, and NDSU in my opinion. Illinois State and Appy State are 1-2 in my book.. Why UMASS rises all these spots now is beyond me... They didn't beat #23 Maine or #15 UC-Davis did they?

JMUfan2008
October 15th, 2006, 12:59 PM

OCT. 15, 2006

1 JAMES MADISON 5-1
2 ILLINOIS STATE 5-1
3 YOUNGSTOWN STATE 6-1
4 APPALACHIAN STATE 6-1
5 MONTANA 5-1
6 MASSACHUSETTS 5-1
7 CAL POLY 5-1
8 HAMPTON 7-0
9 NORTH DAKOTA STATE 6-0
10 NEW HAMPSHIRE 5-1
11 NORTHERN IOWA 4-2
12 RICHMOND 5-1
13 FURMAN 5-2
14 TENNESSEE-MARTIN 5-1
15 SAN DIEGO 6-0
16 SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 5-1
17 CHARLESTON SOUTH. 6-0
18 COASTAL CAROLINA 5-2
19 HARVARD 5-0
20 WESTERN KENTUCKY 3-3

I mean...I love JMU and all and think we might have shot at going all the way if we keep playing well, but at this point I'd expect a #7ish spot...#1 is a little absurd...

October 15th, 2006, 01:05 PM
... I like NDSU's program, but really don't understand pollster's logic on giving them #1 votes because they are undefeated at 6-0. Look at their schedule and ask yourself if the Bison have beaten ANY team that's would qualify as good...Thu 8/31/2006 Conc-St Paul at North Dakota St , North Dakota St 66-7
Sat 9/16/2006 Northeastern at North Dakota St, North Dakota St 23-10
Sat 9/23/2006 North Dakota St at Ball State, North Dakota St 29-24
Sat 9/30/2006 North Dakota St at Stephen F. Austin, North Dakota St 17-9
Sat 10/7/2006 North Dakota St at Ga Southern, North Dakota St 34-14
Sat 10/14/2006 Miss Valley St at North Dakota St, North Dakota St 45-0

RabidRabbit
October 15th, 2006, 01:34 PM

What made UNH a #1 for 5 weeks? In my poll, it was 1) dismantling Northwestern then 2) not losing games. Especially Del/Richmond. Now they fall to JMU, but get dismantled - at UNH. Can't lose like that and expect to be #1, especially this year as there are about 10 great teams on their rump.

IL ST. - great dismantling of SIU, and like the gutsy call to go for the win with Kansas St.

However, an undefeated team, including only 1 of the 6 wins against IA, and wins against teams from the A10, SoCon, SLC, SWAC conferences would appear to be right there!

Actually between App St, Il St, Cal Poly, MT, YSU it appears that Il ST or YSU have played the toughest schedule. :twocents:

AppGuy04
October 15th, 2006, 01:35 PM

The people voting for NDSU have definitely not looked at their schedule:confused:

Bison05
October 15th, 2006, 01:54 PM
The people voting for NDSU have definitely not looked at their schedule:confused:

and those that instantly dismiss the Bison have not seen them playxidiotx

That being said, you could easily make a case for about 5-6 teams receiving that #1 spot.

AppGuy04
October 15th, 2006, 01:56 PM
and those that instantly dismiss the Bison have not seen them playxidiotx

That being said, you could easily make a case for about 5-6 teams receiving that #1 spot.

Not saying they aren't in the mix, but being undefeated doesn't mean much thus far

I just think there are 3 or 4 teams that are better than them

FlyYtown
October 15th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Actually between App St, Il St, Cal Poly, MT, YSU it appears that Il ST or YSU have played the toughest schedule. :twocents:

I agree 100%...:rotateh: :rotateh:

Bison05
October 15th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Not saying they aren't in the mix, but being undefeated doesn't mean much thus far

I just think there are 3 or 4 teams that are better than them

I can live with that, with the top 10 being relatively even, opinions are going to vary. I just hate it when people instantly discount the Bison without having seen first-hand how good they really are.

AppGuy04
October 15th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I can live with that, with the top 10 being relatively even, opinions are going to vary. I just hate it when people instantly discount the Bison without having seen first-hand how good they really are.

We both know thats nearly impossible. And in place of live games, you have to use other criteria, strength of competition being a main one for me. Now once you guys start conference play, you can throw that out the window

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 15th, 2006, 02:30 PM
You gotta go with App St until they lose.

That's exactly what pollsters have done with UNH for the past five weeks!

While I never like losing, I'm glad to be rid of that #1 bullseye!!! And I hope there's somebody else wearing that bullseye on November 19th! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

bandl
October 15th, 2006, 03:50 PM
I wish we could see the poll results...I want to know who in the hell voted for UNH after they got absolutely pounded yesterday. :confused: Absolutely no way they are better than some of these teams.

SoCon48
October 15th, 2006, 03:53 PM

If they could play Towson every week, they'd look even better.

Saint3333
October 15th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Early in the season doesn't impress me as much as late in the season.

The SoCon in general doesn't impress me all that much this season. If ASU doesn't want to be associated with that, then maybe you should move up to I-A. Until then, you will be associated with how Furman and GA So are doing. That's just how it is.

That just doesn't make sense to me ASU hasn't even played Furman or GSU they have no impact on ASU's ranking at this time. Using your logic if NDST is beating people by 30+ per game, and beat a team that just dominated the former #1 team in the nation they would be penalized if Cal Poly and UC Davis were having a down year. I really don't care where you rank ASU, but that type of logic is seriously flawed. I'd rather just hear that in your opinion ISU, Montana, etc. are better than ASU, I be totally fine with that and could make a much stronger debate given their schedules and results.:twocents:

Eaglegus2
October 15th, 2006, 04:05 PM
That just doesn't make sense to me ASU hasn't even played Furman or GSU they have no impact on ASU's ranking at this time. Using your logic if NDST is beating people by 30+ per game, and beat a team that just dominated the former #1 team in the nation they would be penalized if Cal Poly and UC Davis were having a down year. I really don't care where you rank ASU, but that type of logic is seriously flawed. I'd rather just hear that in your opinion ISU, Montana, etc. are better than ASU, I be totally fine with that and could make a much stronger debate given their schedules and results.:twocents:

All the Bison are trying to do is make some sort of statement because they will NOT be in the playoffs this year.

Having beaten Georgia Southern is nothing really brag about. :bawling:

Appalachian State is the #1 team.:D

BillLuc1982
October 15th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Gonna be a fun game to watch on Gateway TV!!

ISU's scoreboard is so similar to YSU's

umassfan
October 15th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Birdsfly..... I am wondering the same thing. Are these polls all about how you do vs. a I-A Team? If so then thats why UMASS is that high, because they haven't beat anyone all that good, Towson is not that good people.... Just look.

YSU deserves to be higher than UMass, and NDSU in my opinion. Illinois State and Appy State are 1-2 in my book.. Why UMASS rises all these spots now is beyond me... They didn't beat #23 Maine or #15 UC-Davis did they?
No but we did shut out number 22 Towson 35-0. Say what you like but everyone out there thought Towson should be ranked therefore they cant be as bad as you make them seem. They will prob finish 6th overall in the A10 this year.

umassfan
October 15th, 2006, 05:26 PM
If they could play Towson every week, they'd look even better.
Well the AGS voters voted Towson in the top 25. So everyone must not know what they are talking about.

MplsBison
October 15th, 2006, 05:33 PM

I was talking about your games vs. SoCon already this year.

No doubt you'll play Furman and GaSo...and beat them.

All I'm saying is that your conference schedule shouldn't count for as much this season. And by the way, you only beat Wofford 14-7 at home.

And you want votes? Come on.

UMass922
October 15th, 2006, 05:44 PM
I can't buy UMass moving up as high as some people here are claiming they should. I certainly can't buy them as a top-two team--at the very least they have to be behind Appalachian and Illinois St., who have beaten JMU and SIU respectively. UMass simply doesn't have a victory of that caliber yet--nothing close to one either, really. Towson is our best win so far, and as others have already pointed out, that was an already-overrated team playing without its starting quarterback. The "good loss" to Navy is still probably the best game on our resume. Other than that, the best that can be said is that we've blown out the teams we're supposed to blow out--i.e., we've had no "ugly wins."

October 15th, 2006, 05:47 PM
I can't buy UMass moving up as high as some people here are claiming they should. I certainly can't buy them as a top-two team--at the very least they have to be behind Appalachian and Illinois St., who have beaten JMU and SIU respectively. UMass simply doesn't have a victory of that caliber yet--nothing close to one either, really. Towson is our best win so far, and as others have already pointed out, that was an already-overrated team playing without its starting quarterback. The "good loss" to Navy is still probably the best game on our resume. Other than that, the best that can be said is that we've blown out the teams we're supposed to blow out--i.e., we've had no "ugly wins."Fair assessment. You've looked really good doing it has to count for something!

MplsBison
October 15th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I can't buy UMass moving up as high as some people here are claiming they should. I certainly can't buy them as a top-two team--at the very least they have to be behind Appalachian and Illinois St., who have beaten JMU and SIU respectively. UMass simply doesn't have a victory of that caliber yet--nothing close to one either, really. Towson is our best win so far, and as others have already pointed out, that was an already-overrated team playing without its starting quarterback. The "good loss" to Navy is still probably the best game on our resume. Other than that, the best that can be said is that we've blown out the teams we're supposed to blow out--i.e., we've had no "ugly wins."

You always have to respect a guy who takes his own team down a peg.

Just IMO, I don't see ASU's win over JMU in the 2nd week of the season as anywhere near ISU's win over SIU this week.

If ASU and JMU played this week, it'd be a new game.

New Hampshire and Maine should be 2 nice games for you guys. Win both of those and you should get the A10 AQ and a top 4 seed in the playoffs. Nice to see an A10 bball team win it for once.

Saint3333
October 15th, 2006, 06:21 PM
I was talking about your games vs. SoCon already this year.

No doubt you'll play Furman and GaSo...and beat them.

All I'm saying is that your conference schedule shouldn't count for as much this season. And by the way, you only beat Wofford 14-7 at home.

And you want votes? Come on.

I don't care if ASU is number 1 or not and I'll certainly not chalk up either GSU nor Furman as a win. But we did beat JMU 21-10 and sat on the ball the whole second half (only threw 5 passes and just ran out the clock). A little team called South Carolina had trouble with Wofford as well. We beat UTC 56-21 and Elon 45-21 who are playing other teams (SoCon and OOC) pretty tough.

BTW you beat SFA 17-9... Teams don't always play there best, but good teams know how to win ugly.

Bison check sportsnetwork, the real poll tomorrow, the black and gold will be #1.

ngineer
October 15th, 2006, 06:44 PM
I've got the Mountaineers #1. They are the defending champions and while they were pushed this week, they still got it done. Montana a close #2 followed by ISU. I think there is very good parity among the top 15, but after that quality drops off signifcantly and you can do a lot of mix 'n' match.

shakdaddy3
October 15th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I say Appy St. is #1... after that it can be whoever IMO... my top 5 would be:
Appy St.
Montana
ILSU
Cal Poly
Youngstown St.

ISU had a great win and all, but we need to prove our consistency and that'l start with finally beating Western Illinois... after that, if we beat YSU, then I'll talk about us being #1 potentially... we won't find out soon enough will we?

come on saturday... why must you seem so far away again?

HensRock
October 15th, 2006, 08:58 PM
I am the AGS voter who had UMass #1 last week. They have won their games decisively. Say what you will about Towson being over-rated. They are no slouch. I think the Minutemen have the offense AND defense to go far into the playoffs this year. Going unbeated in A10 is nearly impossible, but this team might pull it off. Even with 1 league loss I still think they represent the A10 auto bid this year ahead of UNH. I thought this last week, before the UNH loss to JMU (which surprised me btw) and I see no reason to change my mind until some team out there changes it for me.

FlyYtown
October 15th, 2006, 09:17 PM
I am the AGS voter who had UMass #1 last week. They have won their games decisively. Say what you will about Towson being over-rated. They are no slouch. I think the Minutemen have the offense AND defense to go far into the playoffs this year. Going unbeated in A10 is nearly impossible, but this team might pull it off. Even with 1 league loss I still think they represent the A10 auto bid this year ahead of UNH. I thought this last week, before the UNH loss to JMU (which surprised me btw) and I see no reason to change my mind until some team out there changes it for me.

There is no point for me to comment on what you just said.. I for one thing what you just stated about Towson is ridiculous...

I look at quality wins, not how much the wins are by.
Illinois State has a QUALITY Win over Southern Illinois.
Youngstown State has QUALITY Wins over Maine and UC-Davis..
Montana is flat out QUALITY lol.

I don't see a QUALITY Win vs. A QUALITY Opponent for UMass... but thats just me..

blukeys
October 15th, 2006, 09:19 PM

I agree and thought Umass was a very dangerous team since this time last year. I did vote for ASU but Umass is big strong and nasty. :nod: :nod:

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 15th, 2006, 09:23 PM
That's exactly what pollsters have done with UNH for the past five weeks!

While I never like losing, I'm glad to be rid of that #1 bullseye!!! And I hope there's somebody else wearing that bullseye on November 19th! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
Rankings mean nothing at this point. JMU will move up by beating UNH, but I vote for App State to climb back to the top spot.

I'm hoping to win out and get back to the playoffs and maybe even get a home game.

Go Dukes!!!!!!

October 15th, 2006, 09:30 PM
... check sportsnetwork, the real poll...Yep, the one your radio guys, your SIDs, your other guys all vote in... the real poll... better check AGS Poll tomorow and the GPI afterwards (you know, the one who had ASU #1 last year???)...

Saint3333
October 15th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Hey ralph didn't they all have ASU #1 at the end:nod: .

umassfan
October 16th, 2006, 01:23 AM
There is no point for me to comment on what you just said.. I for one thing what you just stated about Towson is ridiculous...

I look at quality wins, not how much the wins are by.
Illinois State has a QUALITY Win over Southern Illinois.
Youngstown State has QUALITY Wins over Maine and UC-Davis..
Montana is flat out QUALITY lol.

I don't see a QUALITY Win vs. A QUALITY Opponent for UMass... but thats just me..
What makes Montana flat out QUALITY and Umass not? Last I checked also, Maine was ranked behind Towson. I have no arguement for Ill St though. Whats with your serious Towson bashing?

FlyYtown
October 16th, 2006, 05:36 AM
What makes Montana flat out QUALITY and Umass not? Last I checked also, Maine was ranked behind Towson. I have no arguement for Ill St though. Whats with your serious Towson bashing?

Sure Maine was behind Towson, but they also beat Towson. Towson beat teams that aren't good...

Montana is 5-1 and beat what I think is a really good Portland St. team and a dangerous Northern Arizona team.

Umassfan, don't take anything I take personally, but I just do not see the toughest competition for you guys....... ILSU has I think 3-4 ranked teams on their schedule, YSU has 5.... You guys right now have about 2 ranked teams on your schedule...... Win those and maybe I'd consider you guys in the top 3.

Sam Adams
October 16th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Why is NAU is "dangerous" ??? Not to knock them, but NAU has won 2 games (Dixie College and Idaho State). Portland at least has 4 wins. Towson also has 4 wins and W&M also has 2 wins.

Montana is no better than UMass based upon that comparison.

Luckily we have a playoff system that decides these questions for us. Hope to see the griz & minutmen meet in Nooga !!

MplsBison
October 16th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Bison check sportsnetwork, the real poll tomorrow, the black and gold will be #1.

I have no doubt ASU will be #1 in a lot of polls. They're just not my #1.

boonegoon
October 16th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Illinois State!
You forgot the TV title, tully blanchard.

boonegoon
October 16th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I feel for the Bison. No playoffs to show what they can do.

Saint3333
October 16th, 2006, 08:24 AM
I have no doubt ASU will be #1 in a lot of polls. They're just not my #1.

ASU is #2 in my poll, but it is not because Furman and GSU's performance to date...

YoUDeeMan
October 16th, 2006, 08:52 AM

Are you related to Yogi Berra? :rotateh:

MplsBison
October 16th, 2006, 08:56 AM
ASU is #2 in my poll, but it is not because Furman and GSU's performance to date...

Actually, Chatt and Elon's performance to date. Furman and GSU will factor in more explicitly later.

Saint3333
October 16th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Actually, Chatt and Elon's performance to date. Furman and GSU will factor in more explicitly later.

Our performance against UTC and Elon, 56-21 and 45-21 respectively, and 35 of the opponents points were against our 2nd string. How do those performances hurt us. If you don't like ASU or think other teams are better that's fine, but again your logic is flawed.

GABison
October 16th, 2006, 10:59 AM
I feel for the Bison. No playoffs to show what they can do.

Or next year either!:bawling:

October 16th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Hey ralph didn't they all have ASU #1 at the end:nod: .not at the end of the regular season, only one did.

MplsBison
October 16th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Our performance against UTC and Elon, 56-21 and 45-21 respectively, and 35 of the opponents points were against our 2nd string. How do those performances hurt us. If you don't like ASU or think other teams are better that's fine, but again your logic is flawed.

It hurts you the same way that our wins against MVSU and Concordia Saint Paul MN hurt us. I don't care what the margin of victory was over weak opponents. That's also where you can say that GSU being down this year still hurts you since you then can't come back with Chatt beat GSU and Elon played GSU close, etc.