PDA

View Full Version : JMU Set To Hire Head Football Coach

jmufan999
December 20th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Being reported by Footballscoop.com, sounds like they're finalizing the contract. A press conference is expected sometime today. I'm excited.

Everett Withers - Ohio State Co-Defensive Coordinator

Let the inevitable ripping of this man begin. Go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everett_Withers

http://www.whsv.com/sports/headlines/Report-Withers-Will-Be-Next-JMU-Head-Football-Coach-236610131.html

- - - Updated - - -

Kinda meant this to be a separate post, but.....

"Anyone is better than Mickey Matthews"

or

"At least he's not Mickey Matthews".

Ok, we've gotten those two inevitable comments out of the way, also.

ASUMountaineer
December 20th, 2013, 10:13 AM
JMU will probably see better days with an App alum at the reigns. xnodx

jmufan999
December 20th, 2013, 10:44 AM
JMU will probably see better days with an App alum at the reigns. xnodx

cool with me. maybe we can play you again someday.

ASUMountaineer
December 20th, 2013, 12:01 PM
cool with me. maybe we can play you again someday.

Preferably as conference mates, but that would be great. We have JMU grads in our extended family and would be a good reason to all get together. Just keep the streamers our of KBS!

centennial
December 20th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Is FBS still on the cards? What are you guys paying him?

tribe_pride
December 20th, 2013, 12:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l91ISfcuzDw

Seriously though, from what I have read (which means nothing), it seems like they'd pay him a salary as if he is an FCS head coach (rumored to be in the $300k range) and the possible escalation if they go FBS.

jmufan999
December 20th, 2013, 01:27 PM

FBS seems like a foregone conclusion at this point. I'd be shocked if an announcement is made after June 1 (unless there is some sort of deadline I'm unaware of around that time). I won't pretend to have sources but everything I've read sounds like MAC or C-USA.

As far as pay, I believe I read that we "won't pay [Withers] more than 350K", but of course that just means $350K is the maximum. I've also read that a private donor is going to "supplement" his salary as he was making $580K at OSU. I'm sure there will be a stipulation for a pay raise when the FBS move happens. That's probably what's being negotiated right now, just a guess.

whoanellie
December 20th, 2013, 01:57 PM
with a winning record He will not be at JMU for long Withers w/ full a time head coaching spot on his resume', Will be a hotter prospect in 2 years...

JMU2004
December 20th, 2013, 05:43 PM
with a winning record He will not be at JMU for long Withers w/ full a time head coaching spot on his resume', Will be a hotter prospect in 2 years...

That accurate. He has hopped around a ton.

Now, if JMU states it is FBS bound, that may change things. It may be why he decided to come.

ngineer
December 20th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Wither thou goest...Looking forward to welcoming Mr. Withers to Goodman for our home opener. Hopefully, we can get them to whither on the vine...(;-)

TigerFen
December 20th, 2013, 08:56 PM
I think the big challenge for the new coach is going to be his ability to recruit in Virginia especially Metro DC and the tidewater. From looking at his bio and all, he doesn't seem to have a lot of roots to VA or DC area. I wonder if this is the coach for FBS. I would miss them in FCS to be honest if they go that route.

jmufan999
December 27th, 2013, 08:43 AM
I think the big challenge for the new coach is going to be his ability to recruit in Virginia especially Metro DC and the tidewater. From looking at his bio and all, he doesn't seem to have a lot of roots to VA or DC area. I wonder if this is the coach for FBS. I would miss them in FCS to be honest if they go that route.

he went to App State, coached for a year as interim at UNC, and grew up in NC. so he should know the South-ish/Mid-Atlantic area well enough.

he also should have some Florida ties as he coached under Butch Davis (former Miami coach) and Urban Meyer (Florida).

furpal87
December 27th, 2013, 03:29 PM
He did an incredible job picking up at he pieces at UNC after all that happened in the year he was an interim. Good hire

Sandlapper Spike
December 28th, 2013, 11:52 AM

It appears that is what they are telling recruits, judging from this article:

Link (http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20131227/NJSPORTS0110/312270053)

“I just really loved the coaches and the whole staff,’’ Nittolo said. “It’s really up and coming and they’re moving to Conference USA soon. The new coaches I really like and I just loved the facilities and the school campus itself.’’
James Madison, which competes on the Division I-FCS level in the Colonial Athletic Association, is on the verge of moving up to the Division I-FBS level in the near future in Conference USA, according to Nittolo, though nothing official has been announced.
“I don't think it was as big as a decision as most people would think it is,’’ said Nittolo of James Madison’s impending move to the FBS playing level.