PDA

View Full Version : The Other FCS Three-Peat: The Greatest Teams of the AGS Era

superman7515
December 20th, 2013, 09:02 AM
While there's still all this talk about some minor three-peat possibility involving an unremarkable trophy for some school out west, a lot of people have missed what's truly important...

I'm going for my third, and final, AGS MVP Award (put in your nominations for the various categories at http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?149579-2013-POTY-Nominations). Can I pull off the impossible?

I know, I know. You're saying to yourself, probably out loud in the middle of the office or your living room, "Supe, you put out the How They Fared Sheet every week, you've been leading the collaboration to get a listing of quality wins each week with your Good Wins/Bad Losses info, you brought us the Champagne Room where ysubigred can show off why one of his forearms is massively larger than the other, and even an NCAA Basketball board so we can keep coming back to AGS long after the football season is over. You're a veritable lock!"

Well my friends, just because it's the holiday season doesn't mean I can rest on my laurels. I've got to make sure I put out one last project to ice the cake. Which is why I bring you, The Greatest Teams of the AGS Era...

Much like the Apter-rags brought you the Top 500 of the PWI Era, I'm giving you the Top 25 (and more) of the AGS Era. For the past few months I've scoured the archives of the AGS site, used Google to find old newspaper and school articles, and also a big shout-out to the the old threads on E-Griz, CoastalFans, and Bisonville. You see, this version of the AGS site only goes back to 2005, but the AGS Top 25 goes back to 2004, and most of 2005 and all of 2004 is actually missing from this site. So I had to search all over to try to find what I could from the early years. Without further ado, the Top 25 of the AGS Era:

#1 Montana Grizzlies
#2 Appalachian State Mountaineers
#3 Northern Iowa Panthers
#4 New Hampshire Wildcats
#5 North Dakota State Bison
#6 James Madison Dukes
#7 Southern Illinois Salukis
#8 Wofford Terriers
#9 Eastern Washington Eagles
#10 Montana State Bobcats
#11 Cal Poly Mustangs
#12 Richmond Spiders
#13 Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
#14 Massachusetts Minutemen
#15 Georgia Southern Eagles
#16 Villanova Wildcats
#17 McNeese State Cowboys
#18 Furman Paladins
#19 William & Mary Tribe
#20 Sam Houston State Bearkats
#21 Youngstown State Penguins
#22 Lehigh Mountain Hawks
#23 Eastern Illinois Panthers
#24 Towson Tigers
#25 Maine Black Bears

Follow the link to see every Top 25 available from 2004 to 2013, and on the final page is a listing of the cumulative points and rankings of every team.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgtKAORz8z6vdHlWRmhnSWFTNjR3eWhXNUFDSjJsa 3c&usp=sharing

A few notes:
1. If you or someone you love has a link to one of the missing Top 25's from 2004, please let me know. I've spent more time than I'd like to admit searching and some weeks I just can't find.

2. There are a couple of weeks where you don't see the first place votes in parentheses, that's because either A) the version I found didn't release them or B) I didn't actually find that week's poll, but found some other source that gave the rankings but not the votes.

3. The rules for the poll have changed over time, so some years teams with 1 first place vote were shown, some years they weren't. Some teams may have received a single first place vote and there's no way of knowing because those results were not given out at the time.

4. This year there were essentially two polls in Week 13, one before and one after the playoff selections were released. Only the points earned in the poll prior to the playoff selections were included so as not to influence the rankings.

5. Finally, if you would like a copy of the information just to have it or to follow along at home in the future, there are actually two different Excel files with info, most of which did not make it into the Google doc. Simply send me a PM with your email address and I will send you the files after work, or over the weekend, depending on when you send me your email.

Bogus Megapardus
December 20th, 2013, 09:07 AM
`

http://imageshack.com/a/img811/1047/k7mi.png

Lehigh Football Nation
December 20th, 2013, 09:34 AM
I don't think Supe does enough... he should do more :P

Kidding of course! It's appreciated!

Bill
December 20th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Bogie - It's good to see you guys ranked up there at #4 :)

The Ville
December 20th, 2013, 05:18 PM
That's a cool list at the end once you can see how teams have fared for about a decade.

caribbeanhen
December 20th, 2013, 05:32 PM
you earn you user name again and again

Pard4Life
December 20th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Um, this poll is bogus. Lehigh is not 1-5.

Drblankstare
December 20th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Great stuff as always

Catbooster
December 27th, 2013, 12:26 AM
Interesting - Thanks.

skinny_uncle
December 28th, 2013, 02:14 AM
Um, this poll is bogus. Lehigh is not 1-5.

Having trouble finding chattanooga, too.

Ivytalk
December 28th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Well done, Superman!

MR. CHICKEN
December 28th, 2013, 08:18 AM
DON'T FO'GET…..DELAWARE'S THREE-PEAT…….DIDN'T RUN CONCURRENTLAH……..AN' OWN-LAH…WON ONE O' 'EM….HOWEVERAH…..THREE IN….UH 7-8 YEAR STRETCH……..MO' REMARKABLE……AS WE SUITED UP LOTTAH DIFFERENT PLAYERS…EACH APPEARANCE... AN' DIDN'T RUN OFF DUH MOSTLAH SAME ROSTER………AN' DERE'S UH GUY ON HERE……IN DUH "CITADEL SEARCH FO' NEW COACH"…..WHO'S DISSIN' KC…xrolleyesx…..BRAWK!

APaladindad
December 31st, 2013, 03:16 AM
Great information! Thanks for the effort it took to compile this.
Using your numbers I took the liberty to rank the conferences for the same period using your numbers:
1. CAA 11744 points
2. MVFC 7856 points
3. Big Sky 7502 points
4. Southern 6756 points
5. Southland 4011 points
6. OVC 2136 points
7. MEAC 1320 points
8. Patriot 1251 points
9. Ivy 699 points
10. Big South 667 points
11. SWAC 112 points
12. Pioneer 58 points
13. NEC 51 points

There were only two conferences the Big Sky and Southern that all members of the conference scored points.

Twentysix
December 31st, 2013, 03:42 AM
Great information! Thanks for the effort it took to compile this.
Using your numbers I took the liberty to rank the conferences for the same period using your numbers:
1. CAA 11744 points
2. MVFC 7856 points
3. Big Sky 7502 points
4. Southern 6756 points
5. Southland 4011 points
6. OVC 2136 points
7. MEAC 1320 points
8. Patriot 1251 points
9. Ivy 699 points
10. Big South 667 points
11. SWAC 112 points
12. Pioneer 58 points
13. NEC 51 points

There were only two conferences the Big Sky and Southern that all members of the conference scored points.

Damn, which valley school didn't ever make the top 25? Missouri State? I see USD on 9/13/2010

Looks like this years 5-7 squad is their second best in 12 seasons.

superman7515
January 10th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Updated everything with the final poll of the 2013 season, so all of the polls that could be found are on there now.