PDA

View Full Version : Is Dino Babers on his way to Bowling Green?

DrStrangelove
December 18th, 2013, 03:36 PM
http://www.coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

"A source tells me that Bowling Green has their guy. I'm told it's not Rob Ambrose, Ed Warriner, or DJ Durkin. The other name that was mentioned for the job was Eastern Illinois head coach Dino Babers. CoachingSearch is working to confirm if it's Babers or a surprise hire like a Willie Fritz or Chris Ash."

Anyone have some insight on this?

DrStrangelove
December 18th, 2013, 03:52 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10159860/dino-babers-hired-coach-bowling-green-falcons

A source tells Joe Schad it's a done deal.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 18th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Pete Thamel essentially just confirmed it.

Skyhawk71
December 18th, 2013, 04:16 PM
OVC Ball has stated that it is confirmed.............Great two years at EIU

eiupantherfan94
December 18th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Unless the next coach is someone that follows the same system as Babers, the OVC just breathed a sigh of relief of possibly not having to deal with the Baylor-esque offense again.

Skyhawk71
December 18th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Unless the next coach is someone that follows the same system as Babers, the OVC just breathed a sigh of relief of possibly not having to deal with the Baylor-esque offense again.

Yep, but If I'm the AD at EIU my next guy is from Baylor or the current offensive staff-

OSRacer
December 18th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Congrats Coach Babers. He brought winning back to EIU and had a great 2 year run....but I don't think he recruited most of those EIU standouts that helped him be successful. Without an NFL caliber QB this season doesn't happen. Best of luck to him.

DrStrangelove
December 18th, 2013, 04:32 PM
I'm heartbroken to see him leave. It's much better for the conference as a whole if as many programs as possible are playing at an elite level and are national contenders. I hope EIU's next hire can build on Dino's success and keep the Panthers at or near the top of the standings. With JSU and TSU poised to be perennial Top 25 programs and UT-Martin and EKU not far behind, the next two or three seasons could see a very competitive OVC.

BisonBacker
December 18th, 2013, 04:34 PM
I wonder what the pay package is going to be? Curious to see how it compares to the deal Bohl got at Wyoming.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 18th, 2013, 04:38 PM
I wonder what the pay package is going to be? Curious to see how it compares to the deal Bohl got at Wyoming.

Not even close. Dave Clawson's total compensation was $375k Base of $210k

BisonBacker
December 18th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Not even close. Dave Clawson's total compensation was $375k Base of $210k

Ok so that begs the question what the hell does EIU pay? That is lousy pay for an FBS gig.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 18th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Ok so that begs the question what the hell does EIU pay? That is lousy pay for an FBS gig.

his base was $170k max around $220k

that apparently was more than Spoo was making.

clenz
December 18th, 2013, 05:03 PM
And...the OVC slides back to complete obscurity.

Get ready for another 17 year run between playoff wins unless you keep getting gifted the PFL champion

DrStrangelove
December 18th, 2013, 05:32 PM

Get ready for another 17 year run between playoff wins unless you keep getting gifted the PFL champion

For the record, JSU smacked around a team from the Southern Conference at home and a team from the Southland Conference on the road in the postseason. And was within four points of the No. 3 national seed going into the fourth quarter with its starting quarterback and leading rusher on the shelf with injuries. So your pronouncement of another two decades of playoff futility is, at best, premature.

Skyhawk71
December 18th, 2013, 06:01 PM

Nah, eventually Drake will win the PFL and you guys can play them in the first round..............First Round Rivalry Game...........xpeacex

The Ville
December 18th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Wow that seemed to come out of nowhere, but he's probably a good fit for BGSU. My only concern as someone mentioned is his 2 yr run was with mostly someone else's players and he had a stud as a QB. Still, I'll be rooting for him since he's now from OVC. EIU needs a strong hire now.

Also I don't see the OVC falling much, EIU wasn't going to be the same regardless without JG.

The Ville
December 18th, 2013, 06:07 PM

yeah 1 of the 3 teams that made playoffs this season could be like UNI & miss it next season

clenz
December 18th, 2013, 06:13 PM
yeah 1 of the 3 teams that made playoffs this season could be like UNI & miss it next season
UNI has more playoff wins on their own since 2007 than your conference has, combined, since 1998

Skyhawk71
December 18th, 2013, 06:13 PM
JSU rolls OVC in 2014, with UTM-TSU-EKU-EIU battling it out for second........the roll won't be as hard core as EIU's, but they are without a doubt going to be the team to beat...............also think those four will beat each other and lead to a traditional OVC year where there may not be a solid #2 or #3 for playoffs..........but I hope not...........

eiupantherfan94
December 18th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Offensively, we have two of our top receivers and TE Jeff Lepak returning, as well Rb's Shepherd Little and Taylor Duncan, who could be one of the most effective Speed/Power tandems in the OVC. So depending on how effective the new QB is, the offense could still be very potent.

centennial
December 18th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Do you have a backup QB that is any good?

eiupantherfan94
December 18th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Do you have a backup QB that is any good?

Brock Kroll took the majority of the backup snaps when the games were out of reach. When he did throw it was mostly screen/short passes, so I don't know if an accurate judgement can be made. Another possible guy would be Andrew Manley, who transferred from New Mexico State. However, as far as I know, he barely got any playing time. Basically, QB next year is the biggest question mark for the offense.

DrStrangelove
December 18th, 2013, 08:53 PM
UNI has more playoff wins on their own since 2007 than your conference has, combined, since 1998

And do you know how much all that playoff history meant on Selection Sunday? Zilch, zero, nada, and bupkis. The OVC got three teams into the field because all three teams were worthy of being in. UNI was not. EIU, JSU, and TSU made the committee look good by combining to win four games.

If EIU makes the right choice to succeed Babers, if JSU and TSU continue to build on their playoff runs of 2013, if UT-Martin and EKU continue to move forward, then the OVC will be even better next season and perhaps three teams will again be worthy of consideration. And perhaps one of them will be fortunate enough to travel to Cedar Falls and learn what FCS playoff football is all about. Clearly, Samford, McNeese State, and Butler need some lessons from the Panthers as well.

clenz
December 18th, 2013, 09:05 PM
McNeese traveled to Cedar Falls...walked out with a 35 point loss and had starters pulled against them....they know

2 time defending PFL champ Drake walked into CF....then had the UNI pull the the starters after the first offensive play off the third quarter for UNI because it was a 30 plus point lead and they had about 100 yards of offense.

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

skinny_uncle
December 18th, 2013, 09:24 PM
And do you know how much all that playoff history meant on Selection Sunday? Zilch, zero, nada, and bupkis. The OVC got three teams into the field because all three teams were worthy of being in. UNI was not. EIU, JSU, and TSU made the committee look good by combining to win four games.

If EIU makes the right choice to succeed Babers, if JSU and TSU continue to build on their playoff runs of 2013, if UT-Martin and EKU continue to move forward, then the OVC will be even better next season and perhaps three teams will again be worthy of consideration. And perhaps one of them will be fortunate enough to travel to Cedar Falls and learn what FCS playoff football is all about. Clearly, Samford, McNeese State, and Butler need some lessons from the Panthers as well.

The OVC has improved and is closer to the top tier than a few years ago.

DrStrangelove
December 18th, 2013, 09:30 PM
McNeese traveled to Cedar Falls...walked out with a 35 point loss and had starters pulled against them....they know

2 time defending PFL champ Drake walked into CF....then had the UNI pull the the starters after the first offensive play off the third quarter for UNI because it was a 30 plus point lead and they had about 100 yards of offense.

Well, golly gee whiz. I sure hope no OVC team draws UNI in the playoffs.

Southern Bison
December 18th, 2013, 09:31 PM

Dr., as you see 5-6 teams from the conference become strong, you may see fewer teams selected for the playoffs. Look at the MVFC & CAA as classic examples. The conference beats itself up and ends up with only 2 teams in the field. Be careful for what you wish for from the OVC perspective.

DrStrangelove
December 18th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Dr., as you see 5-6 teams from the conference become strong, you may see fewer teams selected for the playoffs. Look at the MVFC & CAA as classic examples. The conference beats itself up and ends up with only 2 teams in the field. Be careful for what you wish for from the OVC perspective.

I still remember the old Gulf South Conference of the 1980s when every team was a blood rival and every meeting was a body bag game. Maybe only one or two teams made the playoffs, but teams from other conferences dreaded playing GSC teams because they would get hit in the mouth over and over again. I'd like to see the OVC get to that level of intensity. This past season seems like a step in that direction.

Cocky
December 18th, 2013, 10:16 PM

Are you talking about the same team who loss to a team that gave 57 to an OVC team?

Professor Chaos
October 13th, 2017, 09:37 PM
Former EIU head coach Dino Babers and his Syracuse Orangemen just shocked the college football world and knocked off #2 Clemson at the Carrier Dome 27-24. They were 24 point underdogs according to Vegas.

Schism55
October 13th, 2017, 09:46 PM
Not sure I've ever seen a more listless performance from a defending national champ, Clemson played like their gatorade was spiked with xanax.
That said, congrats Syracuse!

aceinthehole
October 13th, 2017, 09:48 PM
Former EIU head coach Dino Babers and his Syracuse Orangemen just shocked the college football world and knocked off #2 Clemson at the Carrier Dome. They were 24 point underdogs according to Vegas.

Nice win for 'Cuse.

Was there 6 weeks ago. CCSU now has a common loss with #2 Clemson ;)

Sycamore62
October 14th, 2017, 01:01 PM
Not sure I've ever seen a more listless performance from a defending national champ, Clemson played like their gatorade was spiked with xanax.
That said, congrats Syracuse!
Ive seen something comparable