PDA

View Full Version : SLU's Roberts: Samford Buys Out Return Game

TexasTerror
December 18th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Per the SLU fan message board, Lions' head coach Ron Roberts announced that Samford has 'bought out' its return game in Hammond, La. next year. The game was originally part of a home-and-home deal between the two schools.

SLU plans to visit SE Missouri State next year and also has a game at Tulane, which has been moved to 'week 3' to open the Green Wave's new stadium. Looking for two games, prefer FCS opponents.

Bisonator
December 18th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Contact Gene Taylor NDSU AD. They can come to Fargo to make up for missing the game this week. xthumbsupx

lionsrking2
December 18th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Per the SLU fan message board, Lions' head coach Ron Roberts announced that Samford has 'bought out' its return game in Hammond, La. next year. The game was originally part of a home-and-home deal between the two schools.

SLU plans to visit SE Missouri State next year and also has a game at Tulane, which has been moved to 'week 3' to open the Green Wave's new stadium. Looking for two games, prefer FCS opponents.

Not surprised Samford bought their way out of this one ... we're loaded for next year. Hopefully we can get an FCS home-n-home, starting in Strawberry Stadium next year.

BEAR
December 18th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Not surprised Samford bought their way out of this one ... we're loaded for next year. Hopefully we can get an FCS home-n-home, starting in Strawberry Stadium next year.

That's if Bennett returns IMO.

lionsrking2
December 18th, 2013, 12:57 PM
That's if Bennett returns IMO.

He's returning.

The Ville
December 18th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Interesting... I wonder who Samford will also try to get as a fill in now. I'd like for the JSU/Samford rivalry to get back to annually, but that last playoff game may have hurt those chances.

SU DOG
December 18th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Couple of factors here. We have an iconic coach(not in the best of health), who may or may not see next season as his final one. We have TCU and Auburn scheduled, both of which played a huge part in Pat's past. Playing 2 FBS powers is demanding, and also Samford had only 5 home games this past season. With one less team in the conference next year, scheduling another home game may have been a concern. I agree about SLU being a power next year, but I was looking forward to a trip to Strawberry Stadium. Again, I don't know what Coach Sullivan's plans are and I don't know what our exact schedule is, I'm just throwing out some possible reasons for this action.

SU DOG
December 18th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Interesting... I wonder who Samford will also try to get as a fill in now. I'd like for the JSU/Samford rivalry to get back to annually, but that last playoff game may have hurt those chances.
That makes 2 of us Ville. I see no reason why that can't be a good rivalry, provided we start being competitive, and although we weren't, I think we should and can be.

dewey
December 18th, 2013, 02:39 PM

Any idea what the buyout fee was? Too bad the contract couldn't have been renegotiated for a return trip possibly a different year.

Dewey

lionsrking2
December 18th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Any idea what the buyout fee was? Too bad the contract couldn't have been renegotiated for a return trip possibly a different year.

Dewey

I have no idea ... guessing somewhere in the 30-50K range, but that's just a guess. Hopefully it's enough to pay an FCS to come here for one game only, if we're not able to work out a home and home agreement, starting in Hammond. Either way, we need a home game in that spot for next year.

dgtw
December 18th, 2013, 03:45 PM
If Samford needs another home game, I'm sure JSU wouldn't mind going to Homewood. It would be great for the Birmingham area alums.

Sadly, JSU has scheduled a game with West Alabama for next year. I hate the DII games.

Robber
December 18th, 2013, 04:21 PM
SLU should contact Jackson State about a home and home series. We used to play each other when I was a student at Jackson State. Would be good to play them again.

lionsrking2
December 18th, 2013, 04:27 PM
SLU should contact Jackson State about a home and home series. We used to play each other when I was a student at Jackson State. Would be good to play them again.

I agree, and we have, but they won't play us. Southern won't play us either. Hopefully that will change.

Nickels
December 18th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Not a bad move by Samford. Strawberry stadium and Hammond are ****holes, I wouldn't want to travel there either. 30-50k well spent.

lionsrking2
December 18th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Not a bad move by Samford. Strawberry stadium and Hammond are ****holes, I wouldn't want to travel there either. 30-50k well spent.

Grow up.

Robber
December 18th, 2013, 09:09 PM
I agree, and we have, but they won't play us. Southern won't play us either. Hopefully that will change.
You sure about that??? We really only have one game a year to schedule. And it's usually a home game or at an FBS school. That may be the reason.

lionsrking2
December 18th, 2013, 09:55 PM
You sure about that??? We really only have one game a year to schedule. And it's usually a home game or at an FBS school. That may be the reason.

Yes I'm sure. We had something working with Southern to open the season, but they bailed after we beat Northwestern State (who beat them, 56-14).

dewey
December 18th, 2013, 10:37 PM
I have no idea ... guessing somewhere in the 30-50K range, but that's just a guess. Hopefully it's enough to pay an FCS to come here for one game only, if we're not able to work out a home and home agreement, starting in Hammond. Either way, we need a home game in that spot for next year.

That sucks! If Samford finds a D2 team to come in for a guarantee game they will probably end up making money on the deal even after paying SLU. Of course I have no idea what kind of attendance they get. I wonder when AD's that are signing home and home agreements are going to start pushing those buyout options closer to 100k. Unfortunately if let's say SLU has someone buyout their contract for 100k then other teams SLU are trying to schedule know that they can get more since SLU got the buyout penalty.

Dewey

lionsrking2
December 18th, 2013, 10:40 PM
That sucks! If Samford finds a D2 team to come in for a guarantee game they will probably end up making money on the deal even after paying SLU. Of course I have no idea what kind of attendance they get. I wonder when AD's that are signing home and home agreements are going to start pushing those buyout options closer to 100k. Unfortunately if let's say SLU has someone buyout their contract for 100k then other teams SLU are trying to schedule know that they can get more since SLU got the buyout penalty.

Dewey

Like I said, that was a guess, based on numbers I've heard in past years - but have no idea what the going rate is currently.

bjtheflamesfan
December 18th, 2013, 10:50 PM
See if the AD can shoot a tweet to Liberty's AD Jeff Barber. We have one more game to fill and possibly two depending on how the JMU game works itself out (since word is the Dukes have broken out in hives at the thought of playing Liberty again and are trying to buy the game)

lionsrking2
December 18th, 2013, 11:16 PM
See if the AD can shoot a tweet to Liberty's AD Jeff Barber. We have one more game to fill and possibly two depending on how the JMU game works itself out (since word is the Dukes have broken out in hives at the thought of playing Liberty again and are trying to buy the game)

I'll pass it along though pretty sure our AD and head coach already know who's looking for games ... would love to play you guys.

Nickels
December 19th, 2013, 02:38 AM
Grow up.
You guys get real bathrooms yet? At least 3 times as many concession stands? What about hiring someone in the ticket booth with at least 3 brain cells? What about cutting down that half dead ugly ass tree? Get rid of the N.O. trash throughout the area?

No to all of these? My statement stands.

Most SLU fans don't go to road games so you probably don't what it's like in a real city, stadium or campus. I forgive you.

Danco
December 19th, 2013, 04:21 AM
The word is that SLU is looking for a home and home series with a preference being the first game in Hammond. No one but Samford really knows why they backed out of the game after SLU fulfilled its obligation and played at Samford this season.

"The best way to deal with ignorance is to ignore it" - Foxy MaGoo

GAD
December 19th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Yes I'm sure. We had something working with Southern to open the season, but they bailed after we beat Northwestern State (who beat them, 56-14).
We are already playing UL-L to start the season, and our AD offered the same home and home deal to all four Southland schools Northwestern was the only one to accept so if Southern is not on your schedule its cause SLU didn't accept the deal not cause Southern bailed

PaladinFan
December 19th, 2013, 09:29 AM
The word is that SLU is looking for a home and home series with a preference being the first game in Hammond. No one but Samford really knows why they backed out of the game after SLU fulfilled its obligation and played at Samford this season.

"The best way to deal with ignorance is to ignore it" - Foxy MaGoo

I imagine that the team that "bought out" the game wasn't Samford, but whatever BCS team wants to play Samford on that date.

Same kind of thing happened with Furman and Delaware a few years back. Would have liked to have seen the game, but when a BCS team is going to offer your program $500k for the date, you pretty much have to take it.

You cannot look at it as SLU fulfilling "their obligation" and Samford not. The contract is the contract. The contract says "we will play you there, and you play us here, and if one of us doesn't want to do that, you pay us x for monkeying around with it." SLU got the benefit of their contract. That's why such clauses exist.

lionsrking2
December 19th, 2013, 10:43 AM
I imagine that the team that "bought out" the game wasn't Samford, but whatever BCS team wants to play Samford on that date.

Same kind of thing happened with Furman and Delaware a few years back. Would have liked to have seen the game, but when a BCS team is going to offer your program $500k for the date, you pretty much have to take it.

You cannot look at it as SLU fulfilling "their obligation" and Samford not. The contract is the contract. The contract says "we will play you there, and you play us here, and if one of us doesn't want to do that, you pay us x for monkeying around with it." SLU got the benefit of their contract. That's why such clauses exist.

Contractually, you are correct; however, Samford already has two FBS games on their schedule which do not conflict with the date they were scheduled to come to Hammond. I guess they could be looking for a third FBS, or caught up in a scheduling domino effect, necessitating a buyout ... only time will tell.

But given how difficult it is for Southland programs to find FCS home-and-home opportunities which don't involve plane flights, it does put us in a bit of a bind, especially when we were still looking to fill a game. Hopefully it works out for both of us.

PaladinFan
December 19th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Contractually, you are correct; however, Samford already has two FBS games on their schedule which do not conflict with the date they were scheduled to come to Hammond. I guess they could be looking for a third FBS, or caught up in a scheduling domino effect, necessitating a buyout ... only time will tell.

But given how difficult it is for Southland programs to find FCS home-and-home opportunities which don't involve plane flights, it does put us in a bit of a bind, especially when we were still looking to fill a game. Hopefully it works out for both of us.

If Hammond wasn't so darn far from civilization, we'd be in business. :)

lionsrking2
December 19th, 2013, 04:24 PM
If Hammond wasn't so darn far from civilization, we'd be in business. :)

And vice versa.:)

GoCats23
December 19th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Haven't heard in a while, but MSU was looking to start a home and home on the road early next season.. Probably week 3, if I remember correctly.

Edit: actually would be week 2, we've got Central Ark in Bozeman week 3

SamIam
December 19th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Sounds like some Sam fans wouldn't like the idea (or flat out hate it), but Sam Houston and SLU don't play each other in conference next year... so they could set-up a non-conference game. SFA is doing that against UIW in 2014. SHSU and SLU may have trouble finding games, so it could be a solution.

SLU also misses ACU in conference play in 2014.

Nickels
December 20th, 2013, 12:47 AM
Sounds like some Sam fans wouldn't like the idea (or flat out hate it), but Sam Houston and SLU don't play each other in conference next year... so they could set-up a non-conference game. SFA is doing that against UIW in 2014. SHSU and SLU may have trouble finding games, so it could be a solution.

SLU also misses ACU in conference play in 2014.Have they released the conference schedule yet? I'm curious to see how they split the conference.

Danco
December 20th, 2013, 06:54 AM
It it is my understanding that the schools know the conference schedule. However, the conference has not done an official release yet.

Have they released the conference schedule yet? I'm curious to see how they split the conference.

Sammy94
December 20th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Sounds like some Sam fans wouldn't like the idea (or flat out hate it), but Sam Houston and SLU don't play each other in conference next year... so they could set-up a non-conference game.

I heard we don't play them again until 2016 so we could do a home and away but I don't see it happening.

SamIam
December 20th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Would make perfect sense. Especially if both of them playing a D2 is the only other option. Hope it is considered.

Nickels
December 20th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Would make perfect sense. Especially if both of them playing a D2 is the only other option. Hope it is considered.

If it did happen, I sincerely hope its at Bowers. I can't take another weekend in Hammond.

SamIam
December 20th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I'm more thinking a home and home, since they don't play each other for a few years. Sounds like SLU would need the home game in 2014. Not sure Sam's needs for 2014.

Sammy94
December 20th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Not sure Sam's needs for 2014.

Will need a home in 2014. I think we will see another SWAC (instead of SELA) school and a DII to complete our schedule.
8/30 DII
9/6 @LSU
9/13 @EWU
9/20 SWAC
9/27 open
10/4 SLC
10/11 SLC
10/18 SLC
10/25 ACU
11/1 @SFA (Reliant)
11/8 SLC
11/14 @HBU