PDA

View Full Version : EWU's Cooper Kupp awarded the Jerry Rice Award

Red & Black
December 16th, 2013, 01:53 PM
http://goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2013-14/Releases/13fbDec16KuppRiceAward

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4648236

"Bursting onto the scene with the best season by a freshman wide receiver in NCAA Football Championship Subdivision history, Cooper Kupp has been selected by The Sports Network as the recipient of the Jerry Rice Award given to the top freshman in FCS football."

"Kupp, a 2012 graduate of Davis High School in Yakima, Wash., has already earned first team All-America honors for a season that has included 85 catches for 1,567 yards and 21 touchdowns. All three are FCS records for a freshman, and his streak of 14 games with a touchdown catch is an overall FCS record."

xthumbsupx

NoDak 4 Ever
December 16th, 2013, 01:56 PM
http://goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2013-14/Releases/13fbDec16KuppRiceAward

"Bursting onto the scene with the best season by a freshman wide receiver in NCAA Football Championship Subdivision history, Cooper Kupp has been selected by The Sports Network as the recipient of the Jerry Rice Award given to the top freshman in FCS football."

"Kupp, a 2012 graduate of Davis High School in Yakima, Wash., has already earned first team All-America honors for a season that has included 85 catches for 1,567 yards and 21 touchdowns. All three are FCS records for a freshman, and his streak of 14 games with a touchdown catch is an overall FCS record."

xthumbsupx

I always wondered about the Rice award. I can only speak for my team but how many teams redshirt almost all freshmen? It seems like a lot.

Bronco
December 16th, 2013, 02:00 PM
He is very impressive...great hands

Also very happy that he passed the Evil one Randy Moss in the record books

Kupp should turn pro after next year

AmsterBison
December 16th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Well-deserved recognition.

Twentysix
December 16th, 2013, 03:07 PM
He is obviously the most deserving and will probably win Paytons in the future.

citdog
December 16th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Kupp is very deserving of this award. Congrats to him.

Grizo406
December 16th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Big props to Kupp, and Eagle Nation! xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Hands, and talent like this kid has, deserve a National Championship ring!

I remember when I had hands like this...xcoffeex

Darlinikki150
December 16th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Seemed like a given considering his epic year. Congrats Red & Black, you got one win!

Mr. C
December 16th, 2013, 10:56 PM
He is obviously the most deserving and will probably win Paytons in the future.
The ONLY receiver to win the Payton Award is Brian Finneran of Villanova in 1997. DaVon Fowlkes of Appalachian State finished third as a finalist in 2004 (with an incredible season and a receiver and returnman) and Terrell Hudgins was second in 2009. Nothing but quarterbacks have won the award from 2004-2013. Not likely that Kupp will ever win a Payton Award.

Mr. C
December 16th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Big props to Kupp, and Eagle Nation! xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Hands, and talent like this kid has, deserve a National Championship ring!

I remember when I had hands like this...xcoffeex
I'm going to resist the urge to explore that topic further, Grizzo, though it is likely that a few other Montana friends might.

Wallace
December 16th, 2013, 11:30 PM
no-brainer of the year

Cleets
December 17th, 2013, 01:07 AM
If he works hard for a few more years he might play on Sundays...
The NFL is certainly trending in his direction as far as Wide out player-type

He seems to know how to settle into the soft part of a zone fairly naturally
He can already do the back shoulder catch
and I was told his 40 time is faster than Anquan Boldin...!!!

xrotatehx which I heard was 5.0

word
December 17th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Congrats to Krupp...very deserving.

AppMan
December 17th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Marcus Cox: 1,250 rushing yards, 559 yards receiving, 1858 total yards, 21 total touchdowns
Cooper Kupp: 77 receptions for 1,378 yards and 18 touchdowns

"He is obviously the most deserving"
"very deserving of this award"
"a given considering his epic year"
"no-brainer of the year"

Yup...

Grizalltheway
December 17th, 2013, 09:24 AM
The ONLY receiver to win the Payton Award is Brian Finneran of Villanova in 1997. DaVon Fowlkes of Appalachian State finished third as a finalist in 2004 (with an incredible season and a receiver and returnman) and Terrell Hudgins was second in 2009. Nothing but quarterbacks have won the award from 2004-2013. Not likely that Kupp will ever win a Payton Award.

Especially when he's on the same team as Vernon Adams.

Grizalltheway
December 17th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Marcus Cox: 1,250 rushing yards, 559 yards receiving, 1858 total yards, 21 total touchdowns

"no-brainer of the year"

Yup...

Sun Belch board ----->

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 17th, 2013, 09:27 AM

"no-brainer of the year"

Yup...

Not to mention he did that with (1) a sub-par OL, (2) a struggling quarterback, and (3) playing in a conference with some teams that defend the run very well. Doesn't matter, though. Cox could have done well enough to get placed on Heisman watch and he wouldn't have won the award. You can't get AGSers to understand that App and Georgia Southern weren't FBS teams in any sense of the term this year, how do you get a bunch of FCS beat writers who don't care about FCS to understand that?

Bisonator
December 17th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Congrats to Kupp. Great player!

WH49er
December 17th, 2013, 12:02 PM

"no-brainer of the year"

Yup...

How a player's stats translates into team wins is always a big part of the voting. Cox had a great year, be excited about the young man and move on.

dudeitsaid
December 18th, 2013, 12:18 AM
You can't get AGSers to understand that App and Georgia Southern weren't FBS teams in any sense of the term this year, how do you get a bunch of FCS beat writers who don't care about FCS to understand that?

On the flipside, how can anyone really call you guys FCS either? Football Championship Subdivision. You may be FCS in name, but you can't play for a championship, so your relevance to the FCS is mitigated by that factor. Whether it's right or wrong, GSU and App have been kind of the asterisk of this subdivision this year, and so the accomplishments of both teams have faded into the backgrounds for many people, especially those that are further from the SoCon.

That being said, how does his stats and accomplishments compare to others in his position as freshman? Has there never been a freshman RB who has put up stats like that? Check out Terrance West's numbers from when he won. Cooper Kupp broken multiple records, and has had a season that surpasses any other FCS freshman receiver in the history of the FCS. That novelty bought him a lot of recognition.

Cox is an absolute beast, and has had an amazing season. I bet if App was still fully FCS he would have had even more votes. But I still don't think he would have won it, nor would deserve to win it over Kupp. Maybe that's just the homer in me, but I don't think so.

Skjellyfetti
December 18th, 2013, 01:33 AM
On the flipside, how can anyone really call you guys FCS either? Football Championship Subdivision. You may be FCS in name, but you can't play for a championship, so your relevance to the FCS is mitigated by that factor.

Interesting.

Jerry Rice played at Mississippi Valley State. A member of the SWAC. A school that can't play for the FCS championship.

I don't really care too much that Cox didn't win it. But, this is a dumb point.

dudeitsaid
December 18th, 2013, 01:41 AM
Interesting.

Jerry Rice played at Mississippi Valley State. A member of the SWAC. A school that can't play for the FCS championship.

I don't really care too much that Cox didn't win it. But, this is a dumb point.

Hmmm, was it the FCS back then?

Besides, that point was about the way people are categorizing them as FBS when they aren't, and how it's a little difficult to categorize them as FCS as well. They are kindof in the void. Guess that's what happens when you are in transition.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 18th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Hmmm, was it the FCS back then?

Besides, that point was about the way people are categorizing them as FBS when they aren't, and how it's a little difficult to categorize them as FCS as well. They are kindof in the void. Guess that's what happens when you are in transition.

It had a different name and the SWAC might have participated in the playoffs back then, but it doesn't matter because even FCS conferences that don't participate in the playoffs can have players win national awards. San Diego's Josh Johnson was a Payton finalist before the PFL ever played in a playoff game.

Twentysix
December 18th, 2013, 08:58 AM
It had a different name and the SWAC might have participated in the playoffs back then, but it doesn't matter because even FCS conferences that don't participate in the playoffs. San Diego's Josh Johnson was a Payton finalist before the PFL ever played in a playoff game.

But the PFL had means to play in the playoffs, they just never qualified. The Auto-bridge or what not.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 18th, 2013, 09:00 AM
But the PFL had means to play in the playoffs, they just never qualified. The Auto-bridge or what not.

And the Ivy League players? Pretty sure their players are eligible and they can't get AL bids.

AmsterBison
December 18th, 2013, 09:09 AM

"no-brainer of the year"

Yup...

Well, I'd have congratulated Marcus Cox too, but the difference is that Kupp broke a national record for freshmen and Cox did not.

Walkon79
December 18th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Hopefully he won't wait too long to test the NFL waters. :)

Twentysix
December 18th, 2013, 09:52 AM
And the Ivy League players? Pretty sure their players are eligible and they can't get AL bids.

They Ivy League is eligible and declines.

Your only arguement can originate in the modern SWAC.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 18th, 2013, 10:52 AM
They Ivy League is eligible and declines.

Your only arguement can originate in the modern SWAC.

I don't understand the point you are making. The SWAC has had WP award candidates. How are they somehow different from the Ivies? And BTW, GSU's Jerick McKinnon was also on the Payton watch preseason.

Twentysix
December 18th, 2013, 01:57 PM
I don't understand the point you are making. The SWAC has had WP award candidates. How are they somehow different from the Ivies? And BTW, GSU's Jerick McKinnon was also on the Payton watch preseason.

The SWAC is inelligible, the Ivy League declines. Very different.