PDA

View Full Version : Citadel's Higgins to Wake Forest........

kdinva
December 16th, 2013, 11:20 AM
to work with Clawson......

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20131216/PC20/131219563/1177/citadel-football-coach-kevin-higgins-to-take-assistants-job-at-wake-forest

NoDak 4 Ever
December 16th, 2013, 11:22 AM
talk about failing up.

SingForever
December 16th, 2013, 11:31 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but Bison people are making me throw up.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 16th, 2013, 11:33 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but Bison people are making me throw up.

I'm sorry, let me create another account so when I say something that is truthful that has nothing to do with NDSU, it won't be about me.

He took a good record at Lehigh and nearly evened it up with losses at Citadel, now he gets a FBS job. That is failing up.

PaladinFan
December 16th, 2013, 11:43 AM
I'm sorry, let me create another account so when I say something that is truthful that has nothing to do with NDSU, it won't be about me.

He took a good record at Lehigh and nearly evened it up with losses at Citadel, now he gets a FBS job. That is failing up.

Completely disagree. The Citadel is a tough program to win with regardless of who you are. It's a military college, tough entrance requirements, etc. He's a very good coach, IMO. Homerism vote for Bruce Fowler notwithstanding, Higgins is the #2 coach in the SoCon, IMO (behind Ayers).

NoDak 4 Ever
December 16th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Completely disagree. The Citadel is a tough program to win with regardless of who you are. It's a military college, tough entrance requirements, etc. He's a very good coach, IMO. Homerism vote for Bruce Fowler notwithstanding, Higgins is the #2 coach in the SoCon, IMO (behind Ayers).

Stop right here. Doesn't Lehigh also have tough entrance requirements AND previously no athletic scholarships?

theasushow
December 16th, 2013, 11:47 AM
He should have gone to FBS powerhouse Wyoming instead.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 16th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Before this turns into a **** show. Congratulations coach Higgins. There I said it.

CitadelGrad
December 16th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Stop right here. Doesn't Lehigh also have tough entrance requirements AND previously no athletic scholarships?

Yes, but so do their conference opponents and the vast majority of their non-con opponents.

- - - Updated - - -

He should have gone to FBS powerhouse Wyoming instead.

He turned down the Iowa OC job two or three years ago.

Libertine
December 16th, 2013, 11:56 AM

(1) Lehigh does and always has offered financial aid through the Academic Index which were the equivalent of scholarships. Lehigh has never been a true non-scholarship program. (2)Lehigh is not a military school. Lehigh has only has to recruit smart kids while The Citadel has to recruit smart kids who enjoy being yelled at. (3) Lehigh has never had to play in the Southern Conference. In fact, aside from two games in the 60's -- against The Citadel, no less -- Lehigh has never even played a team from the Southern Conference.

kdinva
December 16th, 2013, 12:02 PM
aside from two games in the 60's -- against The Citadel, no less -- Lehigh has never even played a team from the Southern Conference.

Lehigh played VMI in 1955, '57, '58, '59, 1960, 1977, '78, { and in 2005, '07.....}

Lehigh'98
December 16th, 2013, 12:03 PM
(1) Lehigh does and always has offered financial aid through the Academic Index which were the equivalent of scholarships. Lehigh has never been a true non-scholarship program. (2)Lehigh is not a military school. Lehigh has only has to recruit smart kids while The Citadel has to recruit smart kids who enjoy being yelled at. (3) Lehigh has never had to play in the Southern Conference. In fact, aside from two games in the 60's -- against The Citadel, no less -- Lehigh has never even played a team from the Southern Conference.

Lucky for the SoCon we unleash our fury mainly in the NE.

- - - Updated - - -

This is an interesting hire to me. Clawson worked under Higgins at Lehigh. Guess the tables have turned.

Franks Tanks
December 16th, 2013, 12:06 PM

Lehigh played Wofford in 98 and 00, and beat them pretty easily both times.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 16th, 2013, 12:10 PM

1. is sort-of a half-truth, but worded wrong.

From 1986 Lehigh only allowed need-based aid for recruits - all the aid had to go through the financial aid office. In the 1990s the loan portion of that aid could, in some instances, be converted to a grant, which in the NCAA's eyes is considered a scholarship.

Until last year, all football recruits had to go through the financial aid office. Now, they get offered the same scholarships that everyone else offers, but they have to meet certain academic standards to be considered. That's the Academic Index.

2. is 100% true.

3. is not true. Lehigh played Wofford twice in 1998 and 2000.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 16th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Lehigh also lost to Furman in the 2001 quarterfinals....

citdog
December 16th, 2013, 12:34 PM
The Citadel needs to hire Craig Candeto.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b4/US_Navy_031230-N-9693M-021_Navy_quarterback_Craig_Candeto_recovers_from_a _tough_rushing_attempt_which_ended_in_a_tackle_tha t_jarred_his_helmet_loose_in_the_EV1.Net_Houston_B owl_at_Reliant_Stadium_in_Houston,_Texas.jpg/730px-thumbnail.jpg

So long to Kevin Higgins.

citdog
December 16th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Or Everette Sands

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/513/895/7_895513.JPG

or Stump Mitchell

http://www.azcardinals.com/videos-photos/videos/Stump-Mitchell-Highlights/65a1f647-d5af-413e-83c1-b95023c75d80

BOTH fine running backs and played at the school.

RichH2
December 16th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Congrats to both. They should make a great team.

Accelerati Incredibilus
December 16th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Higgins was terrified at the thought of having to face Mercer, ETSU and VM-1.

ngineer
December 16th, 2013, 12:58 PM

Wrong. We beat Wofford twice (1998, 26-0 and 2000, 34-14 at Wofford, with Higgins as HC), and lost to Furman ( 34-17 in playoffs in 2001). While I agree we have not had to play in the Southern Conference, Higgins took a program what was mediocre within its own band of teams, and turned it into a juggernaut that lost only one regular season game in four years from 1998-2001, (the last year of that stretch being Lembo's first year as HC when Higgins left for Detroit). With the tools he's had to work with, he's been a very successful coach in many more ways than wins and losses.

BisonFan02
December 16th, 2013, 01:00 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but Bison people are making me throw up..

Please stop lumping all Bison posters together. I sure don't do it with other fan bases.

citdog
December 16th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Have heard Mike Sewak's name mentioned as well.

http://images.morris.com/images/savannah2/mdControlled/cms/4202241.jpg

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 16th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Would Charlie Taaffe take the job if offered?

citdog
December 16th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Would Charlie Taaffe take the job if offered?

"old times they are not forgotten!"

GOOD question

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/CHARLIE-TAAFFE-SIGNED-AUTO-8-5X11-PHOTO-THE-CITADEL-/00/$(KGrHqJ,!joE2IuH4)kJBNzEd!KUcg~~0_35.JPG

Lehigh Football Nation
December 16th, 2013, 01:33 PM
I know! Rich Ellerson just became available!

citdog
December 16th, 2013, 02:18 PM
I hear that Hudson High School may be looking at Taaffe.

http://pineandlakes.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/superphoto/12632999.jpg

Neighbor2
December 16th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Any time the word Lehigh comes up, NDSU fans are all over it. However, I'm sure most NDSU fans have something better to do. It's all very curious, though.

Kevin Higgins is an OUTSTANDING coach and person. He'll be a real asset in Winston-Salem.

PaladinFan
December 16th, 2013, 02:30 PM

Do I need to compare playing every week in the Patriot League to playing every week in the SoCon?

CitadelGrad
December 16th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Taaffe ain't coming back to El Cid, and I don't blame him. Besides, I don't think we could give him the $$$ that he would want.

Stump Mitchell has had his opportunities as an HC and has not done well. His place is in the NFL as a position coach. That is where he has respect and success.

Rich Ellerson is NOT the guy we want. My friends at Army have been unhappy with him for a long time and it isn't all related to his W-L record.

Candeto, Sands and Drayton should be on the short list. I think any of them would be very good.

PaladinFan
December 16th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Have heard Mike Sewak's name mentioned as well.

http://images.morris.com/images/savannah2/mdControlled/cms/4202241.jpg

I get the triple option connection, but Sewak just doesn't seem very, "citadelish"

citdog
December 16th, 2013, 02:38 PM
I get the triple option connection, but Sewak just doesn't seem very, "citadelish"

If he wins he'd fit in just fine.

RichH2
December 16th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Do I need to compare playing every week in the Patriot League to playing every week in the SoCon?

;) Probably do for that one. Any conference or team other than NDSU is just irrelevant. PL must be akin to gnats flying around his head as he cant seem to refrain from swatting at anything remotely related to PL.xchinscratchx

citdog
December 16th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Taaffe ain't coming back to El Cid, and I don't blame him. Besides, I don't think we could give him the $$$ that he would want.

Stump Mitchell has had his opportunities as an HC and has not done well. His place is in the NFL as a position coach. That is where he has respect and success.

Candeto, Sands and Drayton should be on the short list. I think any of them would be very good.

I agree on CT

Morgan State and Southern are NOT good examples of how Stump would run The Citadel program. He had to clean house and run off bad seeds at both places.

Candeto and Everette and Mo would all three be good choices.

CharlestonAppFan
December 16th, 2013, 02:46 PM
thoughts about your defensive coordinator taking over?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 16th, 2013, 02:50 PM
;) Probably do for that one. Any conference or team other than NDSU is just irrelevant. PL must be akin to gnats flying around his head as he cant seem to refrain from swatting at anything remotely related to PL.xchinscratchx

Find me one post in this thread where I insulted the PL.

citdog
December 16th, 2013, 03:08 PM

JERRY MOORE!

Don't think anyone from the current staff will be hired as the HC. Time to make a clean break from this carpetbagger regime. AD needs to go too.

knucklehead
December 16th, 2013, 03:17 PM
FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop (https://twitter.com/footballscoop)2m (https://twitter.com/footballscoop/status/412692040476934144)
Spoke w a number of guys about Kevin Higgins accepting WRs / AHC job at Wake. "He just really wanted to be at the FBS level". xcoffeex

citdog
December 16th, 2013, 03:19 PM
xcoffeex

actually he would be working under the last year of a contract next season and unless the Cadets had a banner 2014 season he would have been fired. easier to get another job while you already have one.

Go...gate
December 16th, 2013, 03:35 PM
"old times they are not forgotten!"

GOOD question

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/CHARLIE-TAAFFE-SIGNED-AUTO-8-5X11-PHOTO-THE-CITADEL-/00/$(KGrHqJ,!joE2IuH4)kJBNzEd!KUcg~~0_35.JPG

He sure knows how to succeed with The Citadel. He did a great job there.

PAllen
December 16th, 2013, 03:47 PM

Wofford twice in the late 90s/early 00s
Got bounced from the playoffs by Furman too.

Sandlapper Spike
December 16th, 2013, 04:00 PM

I think it is highly unlikely a current assistant is promoted. However, there are some moving parts to this, including the issue of who will make the final call on the new hire.

CitadelGrad
December 16th, 2013, 04:03 PM
I think it is highly unlikely a current assistant is promoted. However, there are some moving parts to this, including the issue of who will make the final call on the new hire.

Are you suggesting that Leckonby might be on his way out? God, I hope so.

Sandlapper Spike
December 16th, 2013, 04:18 PM
I don't know if Leckonby's departure is imminent. I've heard a couple of things, though. Not enough to be super-confident, but enough to question whether or not he's actually going to make the final decision on the football coach.

As you know, hiring the football coach at The Citadel is a little different than, say, hiring the volleyball coach.

CitadelGrad
December 16th, 2013, 05:11 PM
I don't know if Leckonby's departure is imminent. I've heard a couple of things, though. Not enough to be super-confident, but enough to question whether or not he's actually going to make the final decision on the football coach.

As you know, hiring the football coach at The Citadel is a little different than, say, hiring the volleyball coach.

As it should be. Volleyball just sucks up revenue with no return.

Leckonby really screwed himself by hiring Lefty Jr. He should have known better than to hire one of his buddies who has no accomplishments as a coach.

eaglewraith
December 16th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Any chance Brent Davis gets looked at?

JimLU
December 16th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Lehigh has both of the above, but they don't have near the competition as the Citadel does in the SoCon....AND.....they don't have the OOC Schedule of Death the Citadel AD insisted on...2005 FSU AND Ole Miss...2006 Tex. A&M AND Pitt...... 2007 Wisconsin.....2008 Clemson AND Florida,,,,.... at least they threw Higgins a bone later by rescheduling VMI every year.......

ngineer
December 16th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Lehigh has both of the above, but they don't have near the competition as the Citadel does in the SoCon....AND.....they don't have the OOC Schedule of Death the Citadel AD insisted on...2005 FSU AND Ole Miss...2006 Tex. A&M AND Pitt...... 2007 Wisconsin.....2008 Clemson AND Florida,,,,.... at least they threw Higgins a bone later by rescheduling VMI every year.......

El Cid's OOC schedule over the years has been a killer. Although the Athletic Department made a ton of money on the games. We tried scheduling with them several times, but they couldn't give up their payday games, and other conflicts.

Sandlapper Spike
December 16th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Any chance Brent Davis gets looked at?

I tend to doubt hiring a guy who transferred out of The Citadel as an undergraduate would go over well with alums.

Libertine
December 17th, 2013, 07:18 AM
3. is not true. Lehigh played Wofford twice in 1998 and 2000.

I stand corrected on the number of times that Lehigh has played SoCon members. I kind of breezed through the list of opponents. However, THE POINT of #3 was that Lehigh's competition level in the Patriot was not the same as in the SoCon.

Biff
December 17th, 2013, 10:12 AM
I tend to doubt hiring a guy who transferred out of The Citadel as an undergraduate would go over well with alums.

It wouldn't sit well with me. Not sure I am in the majority, but I think it is likely.

Tealblood
December 17th, 2013, 01:47 PM

at very few schools is the hiring/firing of football coach or mens basketball coach made by the AD

CID1990
December 17th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Candeto.

We would be foolish not to offer him the job.

elcid83
December 18th, 2013, 09:00 AM
As it should be. Volleyball just sucks up revenue with no return.

Leckonby really screwed himself by hiring Lefty Jr. He should have known better than to hire one of his buddies who has no accomplishments as a coach.

Volleyball players tend to be pretty smart ladies. Their GPAs will help boost the lower GPAs of the football team which will keep our alma mater in the good graces of the academic wing of the NCAA.

Go Bulldogs!

elcid83
December 18th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Mike Houston at Lenoir Rhyne has a pretty impressive resume and is a young up and comer. Sure, he's a D-II coach, but he's coaching for a NC this weekend. Tired old guys have been given way too many opportunities to coach at The Citadel. They make a great impression on the tired old guys that are in charge of our school and our athletic department. The players needs someone with some energy who can look them in the eye and tell them I am going to take you to the playoffs - here's how I did it before. Candeto and Sands may have learned their craft from some pretty impressive coaches, but they have not been a head coach that has led a team to a NC.

Go Bulldogs!

- - - Updated - - -

at very few schools is the hiring/firing of football coach or mens basketball coach made by the AD

That's how it's done at Gardner-Webb.

Franks Tanks
December 18th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Mike Houston at Lenoir Rhyne has a pretty impressive resume and is a young up and comer. Sure, he's a D-II coach, but he's coaching for a NC this weekend. Tired old guys have been given way too many opportunities to coach at The Citadel. They make a great impression on the tired old guys that are in charge of our school and our athletic department. The players needs someone with some energy who can look them in the eye and tell them I am going to take you to the playoffs - here's how I did it before. Candeto and Sands may have learned their craft from some pretty impressive coaches, but they have not been a head coach that has led a team to a NC.

Go Bulldogs!

- - - Updated - - -

That's how it's done at Gardner-Webb.

The coach from LR seems to be a great choice. He runs the triple option, and has a school with 1,000 students in the D-II national championship game this week. Candeto was a great player, and a solid guy by all accounts, but he is quite green as a coach.

Go...gate
December 18th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Candeto.

We would be foolish not to offer him the job.

Nothing like a young coach with a lot of energy, a terrific background in the Wishbone and an understanding of the demands of a military academy.

CitadelGrad
December 18th, 2013, 02:06 PM
The Citadel's next coach should be someone who knows TO football and has either coached or played at a military school. There are several good candidates who meet that criteria.

elcid83
December 18th, 2013, 02:16 PM
The Citadel's next coach should be someone who knows TO football and has either coached or played at a military school. There are several good candidates who meet that criteria. I agree that the military coaching experience is highly desirable [and I will concede almost mandatory]. I believe that showing success as a Head Coach in a competitive conference is more important. Mike Houston can show this success. Candeto cannot.

Sandlapper Spike
December 18th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Link (http://blog.postandcourier.com/bulldog-bites/2013/12/18/citadel-update-sands-not-time/)

A bunch of names are mentioned in this Post and Courier story, including Charlie Taaffe and several assistants at Navy.

Libertine
December 19th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Link (http://blog.postandcourier.com/bulldog-bites/2013/12/18/citadel-update-sands-not-time/)

A bunch of names are mentioned in this Post and Courier story, including Charlie Taaffe and several assistants at Navy.

Paul Hamilton? Really?

Sandlapper Spike
December 19th, 2013, 09:26 AM
I was a little surprised to see his name mentioned, too. Early days, though.

CID1990
December 19th, 2013, 05:12 PM
I'm also surprised to see Charlie Taaffe in there as a realistic possibility.

Kevin Higgins' greatest gift to El Cid football was creating the stability that is causing a LOT of big option names to come calling. I like it.

citdog
December 19th, 2013, 05:51 PM
I'm also surprised to see Charlie Taaffe in there as a realistic possibility.

Kevin Higgins' greatest gift to El Cid football was creating the stability that is causing a LOT of big option names to come calling. I like it.

I wonder if Buddy Pough will be offered again? Remember that when The Citadel hired Higgins Pough turned the job down before it was offered to Higgins.

If CT comes back it would be a great story and would answer a great many 'what if's' in the minds of many.