PDA

View Full Version : Last time a team blew 2 straight home semis?

Nickels
December 15th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Just wondering before EWU does it this weekend.

Any of you old farts know?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 15th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Towson does have a good chance in this game.

DJKyR0
December 15th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Glad ESPN does the Friday-Saturday thing for the two games. Should be a fun one to watch as we're making travel plans for Frisco.

dewey
December 15th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Glad ESPN does the Friday-Saturday thing for the two games. Should be a fun one to watch as we're making travel plans for Frisco.

Agreed. Also make sure to adjust your tv to black and white so you don't hurt your eyes.

Dewey

IBleedYellow
December 15th, 2013, 03:34 PM
NDSU fans have a whole 60 minutes of football before we are in Frisco. Patience boys!

Darlinikki150
December 15th, 2013, 03:37 PM

I would think most Bison fans already have those plans in place, hell we pretty much bought all the tix already...

Nickels
December 15th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Agreed. Also make sure to adjust your tv to black and white so you don't hurt your eyes.

DeweyThey still show images of EWU fans and Cheney. Getting rid of the red only helps so much...

Grizalltheway
December 15th, 2013, 03:49 PM
They say the camera adds ten pounds, but I swear it adds at least 50 to every Sam fan I've seen on TV.

Nickels
December 15th, 2013, 03:55 PM
They say the camera adds ten pounds, but I swear it adds at least 50 to every Sam fan I've seen on TV.
It's the wide angle lens. We started using them in 2011 right after we received the playoff bracket. With all of the BSC schools coming to Huntsville, we had to do something to keep their defenders in frame. No one wanted to watch a highlight video of Flanders & Sincere running alone on a seemingly empty field.

JayJ79
December 15th, 2013, 03:57 PM
that subject line just sounds dirty

Red & Black
December 15th, 2013, 03:59 PM
They still show images of EWU fans and Cheney. Getting rid of the red only helps so much...

Seriously man, WTF is your deal?

Twentysix
December 15th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Seriously man, WTF is your deal?

He/She has a serious case of Big Sky champions disease. It comes from winning the big sky in back to back seasons.

Red & Black
December 15th, 2013, 04:08 PM
A more apt title to this thread might be "Last time a team blew 2 back to back Championships".

He/She has a serious case of Big Sky champions disease. It comes from winning the big sky in back to back seasons.

Grizalltheway
December 15th, 2013, 04:19 PM

Maybe it's just the pain of knowing the best class in your school's history has nothing but a mythical title to show for itself?

Darlinikki150
December 15th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Seems some Sammy fans just have hatred for the Big Sky and SELA, don't forget SELA. It's great entertainment.

Eagle22
December 15th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Georgia Southern would be my guess. Too lazy to take the homework assignment to see if anyone else has done it since.

We lost in the semi's to Furman in 2001, then followed that up in 2002 against WKU.

Probably doesn't happen all that often because most FCS/I-AA teams don't have that type of sustainability. Georgia Southern went to five consecutive semi-final games from 1998 to 2002, narrowly missing out in 1997 after a tough loss to UD on the road.

Honestly if you're good enough to get to the semi-finals with any frequency you'll break through and at least make a national championship game. If EWU manages to lose there are worse indictments one can be saddled with, i.e. getting to the NC game and never winning.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 15th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Georgia Southern would be my guess. Too lazy to take the homework assignment to see if anyone else has done it since.

We lost in the semi's to Furman in 2001, then followed that up in 2002 against WKU.

Probably doesn't happen all that often because most FCS/I-AA teams don't have that type of sustainability. Georgia Southern went to five consecutive semi-final games from 1998 to 2002, narrowly missing out in 1997 after a tough loss to UD on the road.

Honestly if you're good enough to get to the semi-finals with any frequency you'll break through and at least make a national championship game. If EWU manages to lose there are worse indictments one can be saddled with, i.e. getting to the NC game and never winning.

Good post, although I disagree with how nicely you took the shot. B-

Bison56
December 15th, 2013, 06:45 PM
They still show images of EWU fans and Cheney. Getting rid of the red only helps so much...
I dont care how big of a tool you are that made me xlolx

dudeitsaid
December 15th, 2013, 07:08 PM
I am not taking the time to look up where these games were played, but two semi losses in a row happened to the following:

78 & 79 - Nevada
85 & 86 - Nevada-Reno
01 & 02 - Georgia Southern

Georgia Southern also lost in the semis 2010 - 2012, but none of those losses were on their home field.

If anyone knows where the other games were played, that would answer that question (Not that I think Nickels was actually looking for the info).

Screamin_Eagle174
December 15th, 2013, 07:29 PM
On a related note, a team has lost the NC in back to back seasons much more recently, so congrats to SHSU for accomplishing this vey amazing feat the last two years! xsmileyclapx

MTfan4life
December 15th, 2013, 07:37 PM
I am not taking the time to look up where these games were played, but two semi losses in a row happened to the following:

78 & 79 - Nevada
85 & 86 - Nevada-Reno

Georgia Southern also lost in the semis 2010 - 2012, but none of those losses were on their home field.

If anyone knows where the other games were played, that would answer that question (Not that I think Nickels was actually looking for the info).

Georgia Southern is the only team that has done it. Both times Nevada lost back to back, they were home one year and away the other.

I think a better question for this thread would be when's the last time a team from Texas won the FCS National Championship. With the several teams they've had in the playoffs and all the chances each team has had, it has to have happened once, right?!? Nope. There have been 6 different trips to the final four and not one of them has resulted in a championship for the entire state. Heck, even Idaho has a team that has won at least one!

Twentysix
December 15th, 2013, 07:47 PM
2005? UT-Austin

MTfan4life
December 15th, 2013, 07:51 PM
2005? UT-Austin

FCS National Championship. This is an FCS discussion thread. I figured by saying sending teams to the final four being included and with the thread being about the FCS playoffs that that would be clear.

Eagle22
December 15th, 2013, 09:44 PM

78 & 79 - Nevada
85 & 86 - Nevada-Reno

Furman beat Nevada in 1985 in Greenville, Georgia Southern beat the Wolfpack in Nevada in 1986.

One of those years (78/79) Nevada played at EKU in the semifinals, though I can't recall which year it was right off hand.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 15th, 2013, 09:49 PM
On a related note, a team has lost the NC in back to back seasons much more recently, so congrats to SHSU for accomplishing this vey amazing feat the last two years! xsmileyclapx

HEY, they didn't lose the National Championship. They WON the runner up! Back to back baby!!!!!

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/11/2012/02/medium_bf9e8b23fcaaf01e820e18e75c036c62.jpg

eaglewraith
December 21st, 2013, 04:19 PM
The correct answer is 12/21/2013

Tubakat2014
December 21st, 2013, 04:23 PM
HEY, they didn't lose the National Championship. They WON the runner up! Back to back baby!!!!!

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/11/2012/02/medium_bf9e8b23fcaaf01e820e18e75c036c62.jpg

And yet again, for the 10,000,000th time- nobody ever bought one of these.

Wilson16
December 21st, 2013, 05:21 PM

Its still funny though :)

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 21st, 2013, 07:28 PM
EWU 2013

kingranch
December 21st, 2013, 09:54 PM

bull**** I have one https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/c44.44.550.550/s160x160/524601_4709225682051_1901270224_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/c44.44.550.550/s160x160/524601_4709225682051_1901270224_n.jpg

kingranch
December 21st, 2013, 09:55 PM
that's my ndsu shirt under this gem after national championship#2

NoDak 4 Ever
December 21st, 2013, 11:53 PM
bull**** I have one https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/c44.44.550.550/s160x160/524601_4709225682051_1901270224_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/c44.44.550.550/s160x160/524601_4709225682051_1901270224_n.jpg

I have never been so jealous in my entire life.

TennBison
December 22nd, 2013, 07:40 AM
The real question here should be when is the last time a team blew two straight home National Championships. Or, when is the last time a school that was only 250 miles from the Natty could not get more fans to the game than a school that was 1200 miles away 2 times in a row. I could keep on going if you want!

Tubakat2014
December 22nd, 2013, 07:50 AM
The real question here should be when is the last time a team blew two straight home National Championships. Or, when is the last time a school that was only 250 miles from the Natty could not get more fans to the game than a school that was 1200 miles away 2 times in a row. I could keep on going if you want!

Anything outside of Huntsville or Houston isn't a home game for SHSU. You look at Frisco and say, "that's just a couple hours away from SHSU!", but most SHSU fans not in the Dallas area look at Frisco and say, "Really, north side of Dallas? Long drive, not spending the money". NDSU fans would probably walk to Minneapolis to see their team play the Gophers. An unfortunate amount of SHSU students can't even be bothered to drive from their dorm to Bowers.

So you really don't need to waste your time putting us down, we know what we have to work on regarding fan support. And do you really think it's a bad thing for us to blow two straight national championships? I mean, you wouldn't be going for a three-peat if we had won one of those.

Bison56
December 22nd, 2013, 08:00 AM
Im going to say Screamin beagle blew 2 semis at home. Did I win?

TennBison
December 22nd, 2013, 09:04 AM
Anything outside of Huntsville or Houston isn't a home game for SHSU. You look at Frisco and say, "that's just a couple hours away from SHSU!", but most SHSU fans not in the Dallas area look at Frisco and say, "Really, north side of Dallas? Long drive, not spending the money". NDSU fans would probably walk to Minneapolis to see their team play the Gophers. An unfortunate amount of SHSU students can't even be bothered to drive from their dorm to Bowers.

So you really don't need to waste your time putting us down, we know what we have to work on regarding fan support. And do you really think it's a bad thing for us to blow two straight national championships? I mean, you wouldn't be going for a three-peat if we had won one of those.
Sure I will stop putting you down, as soon as you SHSU fans stop bashing the Big Sky. At least they played in a semi final game this year. And yeah, I think it is funny that you blew two straight NC games, esp after all the hype you guys had about how your team was going to crush us and no team has ever won 2 straight NC games against the same team, and on and on.

IBleedYellow
December 22nd, 2013, 09:16 AM
Sure I will stop putting you down, as soon as you SHSU fans stop bashing the Big Sky. At least they played in a semi final game this year. And yeah, I think it is funny that you blew two straight NC games, esp after all the hype you guys had about how your team was going to crush us and no team has ever won 2 straight NC games against the same team, and on and on.

I'd rather bash the big sky and respect SHSU. xthumbsupx

semobison
December 22nd, 2013, 09:18 AM

Are you closet Big Sky fan??

NoDak 4 Ever
December 22nd, 2013, 09:18 AM

Has anyone heard from him today? We might need to do a welfare check.

IBleedYellow
December 22nd, 2013, 09:39 AM
Has anyone heard from him today? We might need to do a welfare check.

We won't see him until next year IF EWU is doing well.

Wilson16
December 22nd, 2013, 09:54 AM
His mom said he won't come out his room

Southern Bison
December 22nd, 2013, 10:41 AM
He posted yesterday that he had to work at 6 this morning...

"Can I get a McMuffin, a hashbrown, and a $1 Tea?"

That's Sweet Tea for you Yankees

Texas
December 22nd, 2013, 11:22 AM

Except almost all of us have been rooting for NDSU to make it. There is a lot of respect for NDSU at our fan site even after the two losses. Nobody thought we would crush NDSU the second chance, and our first chance we were undefeated with a top offense and defense. Naturally, we thought we had it. Doesn't most NDSU fans right now think they are going to crush Towson?

We **** on Big Sky because of our playoff brackets, first it was an SLC team will never beat our Big Sky in the playoffs. Then it was you will never beat Big Sky at home in the playoffs in the cold. They hype themselves up like a wannabe SEC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Wilson16
December 22nd, 2013, 02:16 PM
Why should they stop bashing the Big Fluffy? They own them.

uofmman1122
December 22nd, 2013, 02:56 PM
Yeah Jesus...

How could a team lose two National Championships in a row?

xbawlingx

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 22nd, 2013, 03:51 PM
Yeah Jesus...

How could a team lose two National Championships in a row?

xbawlingx

Montana lost in 08 and 09.....xnodx

I thought the 09 team had that game.....really good team that year.

TennBison
December 22nd, 2013, 05:28 PM
Why should they stop bashing the Big Fluffy? They own them.
Yep, and NDSU owns SHSU.

Wilson16
December 22nd, 2013, 06:10 PM
Yep, and NDSU owns SHSU.
And that has what to do with him bashing the Big Fluffy?????

TennBison
December 22nd, 2013, 06:45 PM
And that has what to do with him bashing the Big Fluffy?????
Everything, he is bashing them for getting owned when his team has been owned.

Wilson16
December 22nd, 2013, 07:11 PM
Everything, he is bashing them for getting owned when his team has been owned.
Not by the Big Fluffy. He's not bashing the team that owns his. Why do you care if he bashes that worthless conference???

Texas
December 22nd, 2013, 07:14 PM
Not by the Big Fluffy. He's not bashing the team that owns his. Why do you care if he bashes that worthless conference???
Undercover EWU fan.

kalm
December 22nd, 2013, 07:21 PM

Big Sky envy...

Texas
December 22nd, 2013, 07:23 PM
Big Sky envy...
My sides hurt, I needed a good laugh.

kalm
December 22nd, 2013, 07:45 PM
My sides hurt, I needed a good laugh.

Glorious mountains, beautiful lakes, scenic rivers, lost coasts, majestic stadiums, gorgeous red turf, loads of national players of the year, national champions...

we understand .

Wilson16
December 22nd, 2013, 08:28 PM
Glorious mountains, beautiful lakes, scenic rivers, lost coasts, majestic stadiums, gorgeous red turf, loads of national players of the year, national champions...

we understand .
That red turf would be enough to make me leave

Southern Bison
December 22nd, 2013, 08:48 PM
He posted yesterday that he had to work at 6 this morning...

"Can I get a McMuffin, a hashbrown, and a $1 Tea?"

That's Sweet Tea for you Yankees

Red&Black, WTF is the neg rep for?? xthumbsdownx This after I stated that you & Kalm (& dude) are the respectable EW posters.

You sticking up for the Creamin' Beagle...the one that provided all those used maxi pads to coat your field?

Bison56
December 22nd, 2013, 09:22 PM
Red&Black, WTF is the neg rep for?? xthumbsdownx This after I stated that you & Kalm (& dude) are the respectable EW posters.

You sticking up for the Creamin' Beagle...the one that provided all those used maxi pads to coat your field?He must be neg repping every Bison fan he did it to me saying I neg repped him which I never did. But he is a classy guy just ask him.

cw3boats
December 22nd, 2013, 09:28 PM
xpopcornx

Cocky
December 22nd, 2013, 09:29 PM
He must be neg repping every Bison fan he did it to me saying I neg repped him which I never did. But he is a classy guy just ask him.
Me too, so not only Bison fans.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 22nd, 2013, 09:31 PM
He must be neg repping every Bison fan he did it to me saying I neg repped him which I never did. But he is a classy guy just ask him.

**** those guys. For every time we had to see that picture of Brock on the turf after he KNOWS they got screwed. They know it too and they just rubbed it in.

**** you guys. You got lapped 3 times now.

Wilson16
December 22nd, 2013, 09:37 PM
Right now his emotions are in the anger stage
Suprise
Anger
Remorse
Acceptance

He'll come around :)

Nickels
December 23rd, 2013, 06:01 AM
http://s9.postimg.org/ntkdbvfz3/eww.jpg

caribbeanhen
December 23rd, 2013, 06:06 AM
Montana lost in 08 and 09.....xnodx

I thought the 09 team had that game.....really good team that year.

but that's when the CAA was good

Tubakat2014
December 23rd, 2013, 10:37 AM

Thanks, except I have never said any of that. Don't hold me accountable for things I didn't say. Don't hold the SHSU players accountable for things they didn't say, either. I'm certainly not considering your words as representative of the entire NDSU fan base.

A little bit of healthy, good-hearted smack makes for a good read. But if you're upset about smack, more smack isn't going to fix it.

Bison56
December 23rd, 2013, 08:48 PM
but that's when the CAA was good

You mean they are not good now? All I read about is how tough the CAA is.

ChopperTN
December 28th, 2013, 06:05 PM
And all of this on a thread that chattownmocs hasn't posted anything on yet....

IBleedYellow
December 28th, 2013, 09:34 PM
And all of this on a thread that chattownmocs hasn't posted anything on yet....

He doesn't know that football is played in January, let alone December.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 30th, 2013, 11:29 AM

Typical classless Ewu fan you guys are finding out why they are the unwiped butthole of the Big Sky. Total assclowns.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

dudeitsaid
December 30th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Typical classless Ewu fan you guys are finding out why they are the unwiped butthole of the Big Sky. Total assclowns.

LOL, every time you post, I find it funny how you describe yourself to a T. You must look in the mirror to get your descriptive slander of people you've never even met. You are the most vulgar, classless piece of garbage on these boards. You rarely add anything of value, especially when it comes to EWU. But I guess it's your prerogative to add your verbal diarrhea to these boards whenever you feel like. Honestly, it just makes me chuckle.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 30th, 2013, 06:56 PM
LOL, every time you post, I find it funny how you describe yourself to a T. You must look in the mirror to get your descriptive slander of people you've never even met. You are the most vulgar, classless piece of garbage on these boards. You rarely add anything of value, especially when it comes to EWU. But I guess it's your prerogative to add your verbal diarrhea to these boards whenever you feel like. Honestly, it just makes me chuckle.

Not to say Alf hasn't escalated things and so forth but I think if you knew some of the stuff that's been directed at or done to him from some EWU fans you'd probably have a fuller understanding of his stance. Everyone involved would be better off ifthe escalation stopped all around but I doubt anyone would do that.

Nobody ever wants to put an end to it and just say "sorry dude, I was out of line there."

dudeitsaid
December 30th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Not to say Alf hasn't escalated things and so forth but I think if you knew some of the stuff that's been directed at or done to him from some EWU fans you'd probably have a fuller understanding of his stance. Everyone involved would be better off ifthe escalation stopped all around but I doubt anyone would do that.

Nobody ever wants to put an end to it and just say "sorry dude, I was out of line there."

I hear ya. I'm a little late to the game compared to him. So I don't know what's preceded this. I've seen other posts by AG1 that are very classy, and the EBAY thing for charity was awesome. Just seems like he paints all EWU fans with a pretty wide cloth at times, and that's not right. There a classy fans, and douches in every fan base.