PDA

View Full Version : BLOCKING IN THE BACK

ngineer
October 13th, 2006, 08:34 PM
This penalty drives me up the wall. Not because it shouldn't be called if it happens, but because it seems to happen 80% of the time on all punt and kickoff returns--HS, College, PRO--doesn't matter. Is it just me or is this a growing problem?:confused: :bang:

AppGuy04
October 13th, 2006, 08:39 PM
This penalty drives me up the wall. Not because it shouldn't be called if it happens, but because it seems to happen 80% of the time on all punt and kickoff returns--HS, College, PRO--doesn't matter. Is it just me or is this a growing problem?:confused: :bang:

The ones that bother me are the ones that aren't even close to the play.

bulldog10jw
October 13th, 2006, 08:42 PM
The penalty always seems out of proportion to the offense. If the man runs the kick from his endzone for a TD, but the block in the back happened back at the 20, it ends up being a 90 yard penalty. In addition to losing the points.

Clipping is one thing, a push in the back is something else.

UAalum72
October 13th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Is it just me or is this a growing problem?:confused: :bang:
It's not growing, it's been bad ever since they changed the rules - at one time I think there was just clipping, then they put in 'blocking in the back above the waist' (because of a different penalty for BITB below the waist) - anyway it's always been a problem. Players have been taught how to block and what the penalty is for 20 years, and they still get called for it. I understand why the rule's there, but is it the interpretation? What looks to me like blocks in the side are called for in the back - do you need to define where in the back contact is made (like the white area on the knuckles of Olympic boxing gloves) ?

GOKATS
October 13th, 2006, 09:01 PM

Since it is such a prevalant call, the rules seem to be consistent. Some teams are much more likely to be called than others- seems like an easy problem to cure with proper coaching.

I like to blame the officials as much as anyone, but sometimes they're doing their job.

psc2445
October 13th, 2006, 09:36 PM
i was having a discussion about this tonight at a high school game after both teams did it on successive punt returns. it is amazing to me that it happens so much, even more amazing that these idiots matriculate all the way up to the nfl. the reason for it happening is a good one, people are just trying so hard to make a play, that they get a little over zealous in their blocking. when you are running as fast a you can and have a man in your sights you have to exercise some restraint if you can read his name on his back. as a coach and a fan you applaud their effort but cringe when you see the opponent fall on his chest. guys want to be the one that springs the return and it will continue to happen at a good "clip"

UAalum72
October 13th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Since it is such a prevalant call, the rules seem to be consistent.
Because it's SO prevalent, the interpretation seems to be at odds with the way football is actually played

seems like an easy problem to cure with proper coaching.

It would seem so, BUT IT NEVER HAPPENS. The reason for this discussion is that nobody has been able to coach this violation out of the players even if they've been playing 12 years or more.

It's obviously dangerous if you hit somebody square between the shoulder blades. Should it be called if you block from the side, but catch part of the back of the shoulder pads?

Mr. C
October 14th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Blocking below the waist on kicks should be called. Any penalties on blocks above the waist should be done away with. Kick returns are some of the most exciting plays in football and far too many of them get ruined by stupid penalty calls, many that have NO impact on the play at all. Personally, I liked the XFL rules on the kicking game. NO PENALTIES.

MR. CHICKEN
October 14th, 2006, 07:14 AM
DUH PENALTY AH DISDAIN........."PASS INTERFERENCE".....IT'S NOT CALLED WHEN IT SHOULD........AN' IS CALLED...WHEN IT SHOULDN'T......PROBABLY DUH MOST CONTROVERSIAL CALL IN ALL O' PIGGY.............AN' IFIN' IT IS INTENTIONAL......ONLY 15 YDS.........SO UH PIECE O' TOAST...SAVES SIX....AN' ONLY COSTS HIM SQWAT....:twocents:...AWK!

UNHWildCats
October 14th, 2006, 07:17 AM
DUH PENALTY AH DISDAIN........."PASS INTERFERENCE".....IT'S NOT CALLED WHEN IT SHOULD........AN' IS CALLED...WHEN IT SHOULDN'T......PROBABLY DUH MOST CONTROVERSIAL CALL IN ALL O' PIGGY.............AN' IFIN' IT IS INTENTIONAL......ONLY 15 YDS.........SO UH PIECE O' TOAST...SAVES SIX....AN' ONLY COSTS HIM SQWAT....:twocents:...AWK!

God!, do you know its very hard to understand your clucking first thing in the morning.

PantherRob82
October 14th, 2006, 09:39 AM
the HS game I went to last night had at least 8 uncalled blocks in the back, right in front of the ref.