PDA

View Full Version : NDSU captains: Bohl's exodus to Wyoming shows that NCAA football is about money

centennial
December 12th, 2013, 01:56 PM
NDSU captains: Bohl's exodus to Wyoming shows that NCAA football is about money, not players Published December 12, 2013Associated Press

FARGO, N.D. – Veteran players on North Dakota State's football team say news that coach Craig Bohl would be leaving for Wyoming after the playoffs was harder on their younger teammates who haven't grasped the commercial aspect of college athletics.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/12/12/ndsu-captains-bohl-exodus-to-wyoming-shows-that-ncaa-football-is-about-money/

What do you guys think? Seems like Bohl is getting some negative media.

Professor Chaos
December 12th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Meh, I don't think it's all that negative. Reality is what you to perceive it to be and this is the reality of college football.

bkrownd
December 12th, 2013, 02:08 PM
What?! You mean football isn't charity work? Well I never...

AmsterBison
December 12th, 2013, 02:09 PM
They spelled Jirik's name wrong.

Disagree with the headline too: the NCAA doesn't control coach salaries... in the end, the NCAA has less to do with running Division I college football than television networks do.

centennial
December 12th, 2013, 02:13 PM
I don't agree with everything that is written but it shows that there is definite anger. The leadership also seems strong enough to overcome it.

PaladinFan
December 12th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Is there any dispute about that?

It always amazes me in the "what have you done for me lately" world of sports that a group of folks can turn so quickly on a guy that has almost single handedly made you relevant.

Franks Tanks
December 12th, 2013, 02:21 PM
This is originally the schools fault. Way back in the day the coaches were treated like tenured faculty members, and they often taught a few classes as well. Coaches still left or got fired, but it was not so competitive. If a coach can get fired after one bad year, he will also leave for more money after one good one. The schools created the monster and must live with it.

BisonBacker
December 12th, 2013, 02:23 PM

It always amazes me in the "what have you done for me lately" world of sports that a group of folks can turn so quickly on a guy that has almost single handedly made you relevant.

This comment just show's how little you know about NDSU and it's History in Sports. NDSU was relevant before Bohl arrived in Fargo. You don't have the success NDSU has had because of one person. Yes Bohl has done a lot for NDSU but NDSU isn't all about Craig Bohl and he'd be the first to tell you that.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 12th, 2013, 02:25 PM
This comment just show's how little you know about NDSU and it's History in Sports. NDSU was relevant before Bohl arrived in Fargo. You don't have the success NDSU has had because of one person. Yes Bohl has done a lot for NDSU but NDSU isn't all about Craig Bohl and he'd be the first to tell you that.

This.

NDSU has won 10 championships with 6 different coaches.

BisonFan02
December 12th, 2013, 02:26 PM
People that b**** about coaches leaving like this are usually the first ones to can a coach that isn't winning....Bohl has just as much right to take care of himself.

bisonboone11
December 12th, 2013, 02:33 PM
So you're trying to tell me that having a career in coaching college football is about money?
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mind_blown.gif
Seriously though. I know a lot of NDSU fans were very upset about the news initially, but I think it was more about the way that it came out and timing. They were very disappointed that the players weren't told about it before it got leaked. However, if you saw Bohl's press conference for Wyoming, you would understand that it is somewhat about the players. He got very emotional when talking about the Bison players, and you could tell that it was difficult for him to leave NDSU. However, when you're going to be making 3-4 times your current salary, that's a tough deal to pass up.

BisonBacker
December 12th, 2013, 02:40 PM
So you're trying to tell me that having a career in coaching college football is about money?
Seriously though. I know a lot of NDSU fans were very upset about the news initially, but I think it was more about the way that it came out and timing. They were very disappointed that the players weren't told about it before it got leaked. However, if you saw Bohl's press conference for Wyoming, you would understand that it is somewhat about the players. He got very emotional when talking about the Bison players, and you could tell that it was difficult for him to leave NDSU. However, when you're going to be making 3-4 times your current salary, that's a tough deal to pass up.

Nobody blames him for that one bit. Actually much of the reaction was knee jerk based on what little was known at the time about how it broke and who knew. I think the vast majority of Bison fans completely understand why coach Bohl is leaving. Most are surprised and were hoping for his sake that he'd of landed what most consider a better opportunity than Wyoming. Ultimately it's what he wants and at this time Wyoming is it so again I'm sure the vast majority of Bison fans are wishing him the best on his move when it is completed. I know there are a few that are saying otherwise and they may change their tune also but even if they don't they will be in the minority.

Bisonator
December 12th, 2013, 02:50 PM
People read too much into this. They take quotes out of context and run with it.

Bottom line is some of the younger players don't understand but most of the older mature players do and have advised the younger ones. It's basically all about maturing as individuals. When you were small and your dad or mom moved you to a different place due to new jobs you probably were upset about it. When you are older and realize what life is like you understand it better.

That's life deal with it!

Yotes
December 12th, 2013, 04:11 PM
It is very uncommon to see a coach in a position because he loves the school he is coaching for. If bigger bucks are out there, you better believe that 99% of coaches will chase them.

thebootfitter
December 12th, 2013, 04:35 PM
It is very uncommon to see a coach in a position because he loves the school he is coaching for. If bigger bucks are out there, you better believe that 99% of coaches will chase them.
This may be true, but I don't think it is uncommon for a coach in a position "fall in love" with the school and the players and the people around him. Which truly can make it difficult to leave a position, but not so difficult that they'd turn down a 2x, 3x, or 4+x pay increase.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 12th, 2013, 05:13 PM

I was going to post a reply but you said it all here.

Good post BB.

JayJ79
December 12th, 2013, 06:44 PM

"relevant" is all a matter of opinion.
for the vast majority of people, nothing in D2 football is relevant.
for almost as many, FCS football is just as irrelevant, though maybe a few will yield slight relevance to teams that can upset BCS teams.

Twentysix
December 12th, 2013, 07:12 PM

Relevant to you. We have a pretty storied history, which you can easily see by looking at my signature. We are on our way to an FCS three-peat, but this will be our 11th national championship in football alone.

North Dakota State University has 22 team national championships and 51 individual national championships.

Thumper76
December 12th, 2013, 10:20 PM
So NCAA football is about money? As opposed to being about....unicorns and leperchans?

Grizzlies82
December 13th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Put yourself in his position. As some well known comic once said "Always leave them wanting more." If so, his timing is right. Bohl didn't make NDSU football but he revived it. He guided them to two championships. It's far from a given but he has a shot at making it three in a row. There is no reason to believe Bison football will collapse after this year. However, he is graduating about 20+ seniors, many of them key starters, so he'd have little to no chance at four in a row. Nor is it reasonable to suspect he could even duplicate what he's already done there with back to back titles.

So his choice is to remain, coach out his remaining 5 years (or whatever the new deal was), with 2011, 2012, and possibly 2013, being the high mark of his career. In essence, short of an endless string of championships, he has no place to go but down. Alternately he could accept an offer to coach at Wyoming a program which has habitually struggled. In this light, even a 6-6 mark next year would be a positive. Getting 7 or 8 wins and a bowl invite would be huge news for the Cowboys. Winning any bowl game would be nearly as welcome across the state as NDSU's championships were in ND. He believes he's a good coach who can get their program going in the right direction. If he does, he likely has an opportunity to possibly jump to a more prominent school. Finally, in Laramie a single year's paycheck will approach the amount he'd earn in four or five years in Fargo.

So he is leaving NDSU at the top of the game. He has an opportunity to prove his worth one more time. He won't have the constant pressure to be perfect (championship) when he knows the 2014 Bison won't be the 2013 version. In Wyoming he just needs to create a winning program. The move may lead to further future career opportunities. As icing on the cake he will be very well compensated to do so. So put yourselves in his position. What should you do? Would you bemoan the NCAA is about money? Should we accept that money is a reasonable motivator for coach Bohl and most folks. Can we also acknowledge that he has multiple reasons to make this jump, at this time, above and beyond the obvious huge salary difference. It is hard to see how he made the wrong choice.

PaladinFan
December 13th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Relevant to you. We have a pretty storied history, which you can easily see by looking at my signature. We are on our way to an FCS three-peat, but this will be our 11th national championship in football alone.

North Dakota State University has 22 team national championships and 51 individual national championships.

I'm not arguing NDSU didn't have a good sports team. I'm familiar with Valdosta State. They have a couple DII football titles and I imagine most folks walking along the streets don't realize Valdosta, Georgia even exists much less that there's a pretty good football team there.

I'm arguing that the move to the FCS and the titles won there has put NDSU on the national map with a larger portion of "sport society." App State was the same way. Most people were aware App State existed, but the reason people know their name is because they beat Michigan, not for the seasons they toiled in the SoCon.

It's not to take away from their accomplishments. Furman won an FCS title when most private schools were not even remotely competitive, yet I imagine most folks have no idea Furman exists. I don't take that as a personal affront. FCS football is bigger than DII. FBS football is bigger than FCS. The more you win at a higher level, the more people know who you are. Bohl helped NDSU become relevant to a larger group of people.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2013, 06:01 AM
Put yourself in his position. As some well known comic once said "Always leave them wanting more." If so, his timing is right. Bohl didn't make NDSU football but he revived it. He guided them to two championships. It's far from a given but he has a shot at making it three in a row. There is no reason to believe Bison football will collapse after this year. However, he is graduating about 20+ seniors, many of them key starters, so he'd have little to no chance at four in a row. Nor is it reasonable to suspect he could even duplicate what he's already done there with back to back titles.

So his choice is to remain, coach out his remaining 5 years (or whatever the new deal was), with 2011, 2012, and possibly 2013, being the high mark of his career. In essence, short of an endless string of championships, he has no place to go but down. Alternately he could accept an offer to coach at Wyoming a program which has habitually struggled. In this light, even a 6-6 mark next year would be a positive. Getting 7 or 8 wins and a bowl invite would be huge news for the Cowboys. Winning any bowl game would be nearly as welcome across the state as NDSU's championships were in ND. He believes he's a good coach who can get their program going in the right direction. If he does, he likely has an opportunity to possibly jump to a more prominent school. Finally, in Laramie a single year's paycheck will approach the amount he'd earn in four or five years in Fargo.

So he is leaving NDSU at the top of the game. He has an opportunity to prove his worth one more time. He won't have the constant pressure to be perfect (championship) when he knows the 2014 Bison won't be the 2013 version. In Wyoming he just needs to create a winning program. The move may lead to further future career opportunities. As icing on the cake he will be very well compensated to do so. So put yourselves in his position. What should you do? Would you bemoan the NCAA is about money? Should we accept that money is a reasonable motivator for coach Bohl and most folks. Can we also acknowledge that he has multiple reasons to make this jump, at this time, above and beyond the obvious huge salary difference. It is hard to see how he made the wrong choice.

Good post.

Agree with everything except the '14 Bison team is going to be really good also. 24 seniors will be gone but so many rotate in now that the drop off will not be a great as many think. You bet there will be a letdown but once the '14 team finds out 'who they are' they will be very good.

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2013, 10:19 AM

Excellent points. He's leaving for a higher paying job in a lower stress environment. Everything else is just gravy. I think most coaches are intimidated not so much by building success but by sustaining it. Nick Saban, for instance, has looked more relieved winning a national title the last two years than happy. I don't think that's a fun situation to be in. While Bohl has a good gig in Fargo, he's built a monster that he may not feel he can control anymore and that's expectations. I don't blame him for leaving and I wish him the best of luck in Wyoming.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 13th, 2013, 10:26 AM
I'm not arguing NDSU didn't have a good sports team. I'm familiar with Valdosta State. They have a couple DII football titles and I imagine most folks walking along the streets don't realize Valdosta, Georgia even exists much less that there's a pretty good football team there.

I'm arguing that the move to the FCS and the titles won there has put NDSU on the national map with a larger portion of "sport society." App State was the same way. Most people were aware App State existed, but the reason people know their name is because they beat Michigan, not for the seasons they toiled in the SoCon.

It's not to take away from their accomplishments. Furman won an FCS title when most private schools were not even remotely competitive, yet I imagine most folks have no idea Furman exists. I don't take that as a personal affront. FCS football is bigger than DII. FBS football is bigger than FCS. The more you win at a higher level, the more people know who you are. Bohl helped NDSU become relevant to a larger group of people.

I still don't understand why relevance ever matters. I like my team. My team beats other teams. Would my team beat more teams if more people knew who they were? Would my enjoyment of my team increase the more people know who we are?

Don't care. Those DII Bison teams were very fun, our Bison team is very fun. We will never be Ohio State, nor does that matter.

smallcollegefbfan
December 13th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Maybe in the end Bohl will regret leaving because he will find out Wyoming is tougher to win at than NDSU, heck his NDSU team right now would beat Wyoming. He is leaving for the money and the control he will have. He's a great coach so I'm sure he will do well. Regardless of what happens you can't blame him. People are just upset because they know they are losing a great coach and hate to see him go. I wish Bohl the best. You know how turtles grow as you put them in a bigger aquarium? Same with front office people and coaches. You can't grow staying an assistant coach or personnel assistant. Moving up is how you grow and improve. Regardless of what a couple people around FCS may think, any FBS job is a better money job and better in terms of exposure than just about any FCS job. The only FCS job I have seen in 10 years that can still put you on the map is App State and that's because they beat the most storied FBS team in history. Without that they would have been no better than Western Carolina or Wofford or Indiana State in the eyes of FBS folks.

Good luck to Craig! I wish him well and hope he wins big at Wyoming! I have no doubt NDSU will still be a very good team! They may not win the NC next year but they certainly won't be 1-10 because he left. They will continue to be winning program just like they were before he got there.

MplsBison
December 13th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Here are Jirik's ACTUAL quotes:

"It's a lot easier being a senior to understand what's going on," Jirek[sic] said. "When you're a freshman you don't understand, football's a business. It's college football, it's all about money. We think it's about us as the player, but really it's about the bottom dollar."

"NDSU was fortunate to have him as long as it did. We'll find a new coach,"

Read those quotes. Now, tell me that those quotes match the headline "NDSU captains: Bohl's exodus to Wyoming shows that NCAA football is about money, not players".

That's not twist or spin. That's a bald-faced lie. Lying, sensationalist bas**rd. I piss on that reporter.

NDSUstudent
December 13th, 2013, 01:43 PM

Read those quotes. Now, tell me that those quotes match the headline "NDSU captains: Bohl's exodus to Wyoming shows that NCAA football is about money, not players".

That's not twist or spin. That's a bald-faced lie. Lying, sensationalist bas**rd. I piss on that reporter.

Jirik said, "... it's all about money...," referring to Coach Bohl leaving. So how is he saying anything different than Coach Bohl is leaving for more money?

Bisonator
December 13th, 2013, 01:45 PM

HOLY **** I think the world is gonna blow up. I agree with Mpls. xlolx

walliver
December 13th, 2013, 02:09 PM
I football was not about money, coaches would get paid the same as professors and assistants the same as associate professors. It should be a safe assumption that Bohl was paid more than the typical history instructor. There are a handful of coaches who love their current jobs so much that they will never leave, but there are very few.

Bohl's contract apparently has a buy-out clause, so it was obvious to NDSU's administration that he might choose to leave.

To keep it in perspective, Alabama's coach may well be leaving for more money. If the best football team money can buy can't keep its coach, then no schools is really safe from this

ursus arctos horribilis
December 13th, 2013, 02:32 PM
HOLY **** I think the world is gonna blow up. I agree with Mpls. xlolx

I rarely completely agree with him, little bits here and there and so forth but that post seems dead on all around to me as well.

I don't need to pee anybody over it but understand the need.

BisonFan02
December 13th, 2013, 02:36 PM
I rarely completely agree with him, little bits here and there and so forth but that post seems dead on all around to me as well.

I don't need to pee anybody over it but understand the need.

No pee...just fart in their general direction. :)

JayJ79
December 13th, 2013, 02:54 PM
So NCAA football is about money? As opposed to being about....unicorns and leperchans?

that's gaelic football

Darlinikki150
December 13th, 2013, 03:28 PM
No pee...just fart in their general direction. :)

Bring out your dead! Ha

Bisonoline
December 13th, 2013, 04:20 PM

Gotta admit you actually got this one right.xconfusedxxconfusedx

Theee Catrabbit
December 15th, 2013, 09:25 AM
What? College football is about money? I am shocked....just completely shocked........

dgtw
December 15th, 2013, 05:02 PM
If the players were truly in it for the love of the game, they'd go to a DIII school instead of getting a free education out of the deal. So it was about money for them as well.

skinny_uncle
December 15th, 2013, 09:10 PM
What? College football is about money? I am shocked....just completely shocked........

Someone needs to contact the Faux News Channel with this breaking story.

putter
December 15th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Lets see...making about $300k and can coach and make over $1MM. No brainer, it is called advancement and every single person in this country is looking to move up

Bisonoline
December 15th, 2013, 10:50 PM
If the players were truly in it for the love of the game, they'd go to a DIII school instead of getting a free education out of the deal. So it was about money for them as well.

Really? How about the dream of playing the game at a higher level? Also its not a free education. If you add all of the time dedicated to the sport you would make way less than minimum wage.

coover
December 16th, 2013, 12:04 AM
With Bohl's record at NDSU, it was just a matter of time before some school with more money than NDSU snagged him. Heck, earlier this year the Southern California Condoms were looking for a coach (they choose Steve Sarkisian). I suspect that Bohl's name came up ... how could it not? He has a great win record (at a lower level), but it is obviously his recruiting record that should have been of interest. And it is equally obvious that his knowledge of coaching the game has to be very, very high.

I think Wyoming got a better coach with Bohl than they could have gotten getting anybody else. No decent FBS coach would have considered the job. Outside of the State of Wyoming, there isn't much interest in U Wyoming Football and it is very difficult to recruit players who want to play at 7000 feet above Sea Level on a team that few will actually see play. I do believe that Bohl will find those players that want to play there just as he found players that want to play in Fargo. And he'll be paid much, much better.

Sycamore62
December 16th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Really? How about the dream of playing the game at a higher level? Also its not a free education. If you add all of the time dedicated to the sport you would make way less than minimum wage.

Its also an education that doesnt necessarily have a value.

Bisonoline
December 16th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Its also an education that doesnt necessarily have a value.

What education are you referring to?

SpeedkingATL
December 16th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Surprised Bohl wasn't recruited to FBS after last year. If you are a fan of an FCS school and have a relatively young and successful coach it should never be a surprise that they move up to FBS. The money and opportunity for growth are just too great.

Pards Rule
December 16th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Question - anyone?! What was Bob Diaco being payed as an assistant at Notre Dame?

srgrizizen
December 16th, 2013, 02:40 PM
I still don't understand why relevance ever matters. I like my team. My team beats other teams. Would my team beat more teams if more people knew who they were? Would my enjoyment of my team increase the more people know who we are?

Don't care. Those DII Bison teams were very fun, our Bison team is very fun. We will never be Ohio State, nor does that matter.

I agree completely with this attitude. On this board we all enjoy FCS football. But it is good to remember that we are a minority when heads get too swelled with success. I once mentioned something about UM to a PAC 12 fan who said: "I don't care about minor league football." That person is in the overwhelming majority. Montana and North Dakota are both fortunate to have no FBS or professional competition, so we're big fish in a small pond. Yeah, an FCS team occasionally knocks off an FBS team. Does that mean that the best FCS teams of all time could win the championship of any major FCS conference? Not a snowball's chance in hell. The FCS NC winner will get about two column inches in a generic AP report anywhere outside of the home towns of the contestants. There is the ESPN exposure, but no FBS fan is going to think, I wish we could be FCS champions. So what? We obviously like it.xthumbsupx

centennial
December 16th, 2013, 02:48 PM
With Bohl's record at NDSU, it was just a matter of time before some school with more money than NDSU snagged him. Heck, earlier this year the Southern California Condoms were looking for a coach (they choose Steve Sarkisian). I suspect that Bohl's name came up ... how could it not? He has a great win record (at a lower level), but it is obviously his recruiting record that should have been of interest. And it is equally obvious that his knowledge of coaching the game has to be very, very high.

I think Wyoming got a better coach with Bohl than they could have gotten getting anybody else. No decent FBS coach would have considered the job. Outside of the State of Wyoming, there isn't much interest in U Wyoming Football and it is very difficult to recruit players who want to play at 7000 feet above Sea Level on a team that few will actually see play. I do believe that Bohl will find those players that want to play there just as he found players that want to play in Fargo. And he'll be paid much, much better.

Having lived in Fargo and visited Laramie a few times, Fargo is much much more attractive. The only thing Laramie has going for it is the mountains. Fargo is probably more like Fort Collins. Everyone tells you to go to Ft. Collins for anything fun in Laramie. I cannot imagine ever living in Laramie and could still think of moving back to Fargo having lived in Austin and Denver now. I imagine recruiting to Laramie is probably one of the hardest in FBS.

Sycamore62
December 16th, 2013, 03:09 PM
What education are you referring to?

Im referring to the "free education" that you get with a scholarship.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 16th, 2013, 03:21 PM

The one I'm still paying for. Yep. Good work if you can get it.

Bisonoline
December 16th, 2013, 04:40 PM

Its not free. And why the no value comment? Your turn.