PDA

View Full Version : SE Louisiana loses scholarships

Danielr11220
December 10th, 2013, 02:30 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/10114656/southeastern-louisiana-penalized-ncaa-eligibility-issues
HAMMOND, La. -- The NCAA is penalizing Southeastern Louisiana (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2545/southeastern-louisiana-lions) for a lack of institutional control after 137 athletes over five years were allowed to compete in sports while academically ineligible.The penalties, announced Tuesday by the NCAA's Division I Committee on Infractions, include scholarship reductions in football, men's and women's basketball, baseball, men's and women's track and field, men's golf, softball, women's soccer and volleyball.
The athletic department will be on probation for four years, has been fined $25,000, must submit to an external audit of its compliance system and will vacate victories and records from the 2005-06 academic year through 2009-10.
The ruling comes as the Lions' football team prepares to host a quarterfinal FCS playoff game against New Hampshire on Saturday. Their playoff run will not be affected by the NCAA's decision, which did not call for any postseason bans.
The infractions were reported to the NCAA by Southeastern Louisiana, which proposed sanctions and voluntarily began serving them during this academic year.
The NCAA accepted Southeastern's proposed scholarship reductions.
"We are pleased to put resolution of this case behind us," athletic director Jay Artigues said in a statement. "These infractions occurred years ago, and current coaches, staff and administration are absolutely committed to ongoing compliance with all NCAA rules."
The scholarship reductions include:
• Football from 63 to 60 in the 2013 and 2014 seasons, and to 62 in 2015.
• Men's basketball from 13 to 11 this season and to 12 for the following two seasons.
• Baseball from 11.7 to 10.7 for the 2014 and 2015 seasons.
• Women's basketball from 15 to 14 for this and next season.
Southeastern's report to the NCAA, obtained through a freedom of information act request by The Associated Press in April, indicated that most violations occurred in football and men's basketball.
During the 2007 football season, Southeastern allowed 18 players to compete while ineligible, and 17 the season before. The men's basketball team had a high of seven ineligible players during its 2006-07 season.
While Southeastern stressed there was no evidence that an athlete was deliberately certified improperly, the university acknowledged a lack of institutional control and said it "should have known the students did not meet NCAA requirements based on academic and other records available at the time."
The report asserted that certain former compliance officials' misunderstanding of NCAA rules, turnover in the athletic department and records that went missing, possibly when they were moved during a renovation, all contributed to compliance problems. The report specifically cited former compliance coordinator Greg Harrod's "apparent misunderstanding" of NCAA rules while he worked at Southeastern from 2000-06.
It also stated that the compliance staff was not increased when football was brought back to Southeastern in 2003, adding about 125 athletes.
The report said in 90 percent of the cases, ineligibility resulted from the timing of a degree change, and that 86 percent of all ineligible athletes wound up graduating. Most would have remained eligible had they been properly advised about NCAA deadlines for changing majors, the report stated.

superman7515
December 10th, 2013, 02:32 PM
That is the weakest penalties I have ever seen for lack of institutional control.

centennial
December 10th, 2013, 02:34 PM
That is the weakest penalties I have ever seen for lack of institutional control.
They aren't a high value target..

superman7515
December 10th, 2013, 02:41 PM
They aren't a high value target..

Never been an issue before. "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, it's going to give Cleveland State two more years' probation." - Jerry Tarkanian

lionsrking2
December 10th, 2013, 02:42 PM

Because it's not lack of institutional control involving recruiting and/or cheating ... it was more about incompetence on behalf of certain individuals who have long been gone from here. it's more or less like being audited by the IRS, and not having the proper records for otherwise legitimate deductions. It was a paper work mess to be sure, and something we've been addressing for several years ... glad it's finally behind us.

superman7515
December 10th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Because it's not lack of institutional control involving recruiting and/or cheating ...

137 separate student-athletes competing while ineligible is cheating, there's no way around that.

kdinva
December 10th, 2013, 02:49 PM
137 separate student-athletes competing while ineligible is cheating, there's no way around that.

+1

Texas
December 10th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Makes you wonder about those 40 transfers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

lionsrking2
December 10th, 2013, 02:55 PM

No it's not ... most of the kids declared ineligible would have been eligible had they been advised properly and proper records kept. If you knew some of the kids who were declared "ineligible" and understood the issues involved, you would understand what I'm talking about. The NCAA does understand and ruled appropriately.

centennial
December 10th, 2013, 02:56 PM

Is there no pipeline without using transfers at SELA? They are in football rich area. Seems like Illinois State, they have good teams every 2-3 years but use transfers..

lionsrking2
December 10th, 2013, 02:58 PM

Actually it should make you not wonder. We've been dealing with the NCAA for a while and everything we do is gone over with a fine-toothed comb. But if it makes you feel better, think what you want. Enjoy the off-season.

FormerPokeCenter
December 10th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Is there no pipeline without using transfers at SELA? They are in football rich area. Seems like Illinois State, they have good teams every 2-3 years but use transfers..

They brought back their program 10 years ago...they loaded up on transfers early, then had a coaching change when Hal Mumme took off...lots of turmoil and more transfers both in and out of the program....the current coach is a former D-II guy who was used to taking Juco transfers...

I think they've only got 7 FBS transfers, so that's not too bad....I'd venture that's probably commensurate with most other top schools....Where they've loaded up is on Juco transfers...

Nickels
December 10th, 2013, 03:54 PM
FEMA trash shows it's true colors again. Imagine that.

centennial
December 10th, 2013, 03:56 PM
FEMA trash shows it's true colors again. Imagine that.
Why so much animosity between SHSU and SELA? The only ones we hate is UND and that is historic. Not even UNI is nasty most of the time..

Darlinikki150
December 10th, 2013, 04:15 PM
So if I'm understanding this, the administration didn't do paperwork? Seems pretty weak, who's running that join? People get fired at my job for not doing quality paperwork accurately.

Nickels
December 10th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Why so much animosity between SHSU and SELA? The only ones we hate is UND and that is historic. Not even UNI is nasty most of the time..
Me and my fellow katfans have been to a lot of road games. We've been to more road games than most SELA fans have been to home games. We have never been treated so poorly, not even close. They through drinks and food on us, they would randomly get in our faces, cuss us out and flick us off, called our woman dirty sluts and bitches, slapped our players helmets when they were turned around, cheered when our players were injured, intentionally stepped on our feet, started fights. Any and everything a completely classless and trashy fan base could do they did. Their 30 traveling fans have never been treated like that in Huntsville.

Nickels
December 10th, 2013, 04:16 PM
So if I'm understanding this, the administration didn't do paperwork? Seems pretty weak, who's running that join? People get fired at my job for not doing quality paperwork accurately.

You should see how disorganized their game day was. They literally have no control over their own institution. It's one big cluster****.

Darlinikki150
December 10th, 2013, 04:21 PM
You should see how disorganized their game day was. They literally have no control over their own institution. It's one big cluster****.

I just find this a tish disturbing. I mean if your administration can't even handle paperwork, what else is falling to the wayside.

lionsrking2
December 10th, 2013, 04:26 PM

There is no animosity on our side towards Sam Houston. They have a few serial whiners who are making their entire fan base look like a bunch of sore losers. We beat them twice and they're not ready for hoops season apparently.

Nickels
December 10th, 2013, 04:30 PM
There is no animosity on our side towards Sam Houston. They have a few serial whiners who are making their entire fan base look like a bunch of sore losers. We beat them twice and they're not ready for hoops season apparently.
No one in our fan base is concerned we lost. We probably shouldn't have been in the playoffs. We had a mediocre season at best and to make it in the playoffs and win a game with how bad our defense and play calling was overachieving.

Our animosity comes from the way our athletes, fans, administrators and families were treated. Your fan base is pure FEMA trash. Please go east next time you evacuate that ****hole.

lionsrking2
December 10th, 2013, 04:32 PM
I just find this a tish disturbing. I mean if your administration can't even handle paperwork, what else is falling to the wayside.

This happened years ago under an entirely different administration and leadership. Essentially what happened is we were forced to throw the baby out with the bath water because records were not properly maintained, even when most student-athletes involved were obviously qualified and should have been eligible. Lots of innocent kids were caught up in mistakes by adults. It's been addressed and the appropriate penalties have been handed down. It's over.

centennial
December 10th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Me and my fellow katfans have been to a lot of road games. We've been to more road games than most SELA fans have been to home games. We have never been treated so poorly, not even close. They through drinks and food on us, they would randomly get in our faces, cuss us out and flick us off, called our woman dirty sluts and bitches, slapped our players helmets when they were turned around, cheered when our players were injured, intentionally stepped on our feet, started fights. Any and everything a completely classless and trashy fan base could do they did. Their 30 traveling fans have never been treated like that in Huntsville.
I think it will come with time. A new fanbase with no one to reel them in. Now they are successful, there are bound to be classless jerks. Their admin needs to manage the trouble makers if true.

Nickels
December 10th, 2013, 04:33 PM
This happened years ago under an entirely different administration and leadership. Essentially what happened is we were forced to throw the baby out with the bath water because records were not properly maintained, even when most student-athletes involved were obviously qualified and should have been eligible. Lots of innocent kids were caught up in mistakes by adults. It's been addressed and the appropriate penalties have been handed down. It's over.
xlolx until the next NCAA investigation.

Darlinikki150
December 10th, 2013, 04:40 PM

I get that Lion. However is my point not still valid? Sure this came out because it was a major blunder, but at the same time what else wasn't being properly done or watched. Generally with things of this nature it isn't just one problem, there are multiple problems. Good to know the school has purged the rule breakers, but if I were a booster or a fan I would be a little concerned and push for more transparency to ensure there aren't more issues like this moving forward.

Tribe93
December 10th, 2013, 04:40 PM
The article states the school will undergo an "external audit." Who's paying for that audit...the NCAA with the $25k? The school?

Pretty embarrassing situation but SELA will recover. Still think a good punishment would be more immediate...like $500,000 fine and ineligible for any championship or post-season berth for 2013-2014.

BEAR
December 10th, 2013, 04:41 PM
The athletic department will be on probation for four years, has been fined $25,000, must submit to an external audit of its compliance system and will vacate victories and records from the 2005-06 academic year through 2009-10.

Will they vacate wins in all sports? So no wins in football from 06-10? Or is it just a few games in certain years?

The scholarship reductions include:
• Football from 63 to 60 in the 2013 and 2014 seasons, and to 62 in 2015.

Are the Lions playing with 60 scholarships this year since it says the 2013 season?

Darlinikki150
December 10th, 2013, 04:42 PM
I think it will come with time. A new fanbase with no one to reel them in. Now they are successful, there are bound to be classless jerks. Their admin needs to manage the trouble makers if true.

Agreed Cent. Once they hit the wall I would hope the fans and school would look back and say, hey this isn't how we want to represent our school.

lionsrking2
December 10th, 2013, 04:51 PM
I get that Lion. However is my point not still valid? Sure this came out because it was a major blunder, but at the same time what else wasn't being properly done or watched. Generally with things of this nature it isn't just one problem, there are multiple problems. Good to know the school has purged the rule breakers, but if I were a booster or a fan I would be a little concerned and push for more transparency to ensure there aren't more issues like this moving forward.

I get your concern, from the outside looking in, but all facets of our athletics program have been combed over and are subject to audit going forward for four years, beginning this year. IF there was something else, I'm sure it would have been discovered and addressed. It's over ... we move on.

lionsrking2
December 10th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Will they vacate wins in all sports? So no wins in football from 06-10? Or is it just a few games in certain years?

Are the Lions playing with 60 scholarships this year since it says the 2013 season?

Pretty sure we're playing with less than 60 currently.

Darlinikki150
December 10th, 2013, 04:55 PM
I get your concern, from the outside looking in, but all facets of our athletics program have been combed over and are subject to audit going forward for four years, beginning this year. IF there was something else, I'm sure it would have been discovered and addressed. It's over ... we move on.

For sure Lion. If This was another school, you would probably be wondering the same things I am. It hurts the whole FCS when a playoff team has problems like this IMO.

I do have the same questions as UCA, the sanctions are a little convoluted.

lionsrking2
December 10th, 2013, 05:07 PM
For sure Lion. If This was another school, you would probably be wondering the same things I am. It hurts the whole FCS when a playoff team has problems like this IMO.

I do have the same questions as UCA, the sanctions are a little convoluted.

The "problems" have been addressed. It's over.

Bisonator
December 10th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Good thing the "close eyes" of the NCAA are on top of this situation. xlolx

Darlinikki150
December 10th, 2013, 05:19 PM
The "problems" have been addressed. It's over.

Lol its the appearance of impropriety. I get you are over Lion lol

lionsrking2
December 10th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Lol its the appearance of impropriety. I get you are over Lion lol

The "appearance of impropriety" has been investigated thoroughly ... the NCAA has spoken.

Darlinikki150
December 10th, 2013, 05:24 PM
The "appearance of impropriety" has been investigated thoroughly ... the NCAA has spoken.

I'm just razzing ya, you like the last word so I'm just being a pest. But hey, at least I'm not saying you are a classless asshole right? That's kinda SHSU mantra now

melloware13
December 10th, 2013, 05:41 PM
From reading this, they probably could have been given a harder penalty, had they done the typical defense of not aiding the investigation. It's a natural reaction for the NCAA (or anyone) to give a lesser penalty to someone that helps to figure out the facts.

Texas
December 10th, 2013, 06:06 PM
I'm just razzing ya, you like the last word so I'm just being a pest. But hey, at least I'm not saying you are a classless asshole right? That's kinda SHSU mantra now

Hey our fans partied with Bison both times! For us to complain about them on this scale it's legit. We lost to UCA last year and still cheered for them.

With that being said I can not wait until further investigations and audits. With their whole team straight from Compton it's gonna be good.

Sammy94
December 10th, 2013, 06:12 PM
I have nothing against Lion King, except for the fact he thinks all of us were just upset that we lost so we need to complain about their fans.
He knows his stuff. The "fans" most of us encountered couldn't name last season's QB and could very well been at their first game of the year.

Oldschool Colonel
December 10th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Sometimes when you encounter bad fans, you just need to SACK UP alittle!

When I went after that old lady in Huntsville she shut

dgtw
December 10th, 2013, 09:40 PM

They should lose 137 scholarships.

LIONFAN07
December 10th, 2013, 10:12 PM
No one in our fan base is concerned we lost. We probably shouldn't have been in the playoffs. We had a mediocre season at best and to make it in the playoffs and win a game with how bad our defense and play calling was overachieving.

Our animosity comes from the way our athletes, fans, administrators and families were treated. Your fan base is pure FEMA trash. Please go east next time you evacuate that ****hole.

Man that is different story. This time last week all we heard was we got lucky the first time and you guys had found your game. Funny you call us trash considering your profile shows you giving the bird to the big sky.

Nickels
December 10th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Man that is different story. This time last week all we heard was we got lucky the first time and you guys had found your game. Funny you call us trash considering your profile shows you giving the bird to the big sky.
Talking **** on the internet is much different than how you treat people visiting your stadium. SELA fans were never treated that way in Bowers. I've made friends with opposing fans at every game I've been to. I'd rather drink, laugh and have a good time than act ****ty to people. Not that I give two ****s what some government cheese eating coonass thinks anyway.

LIONFAN07
December 10th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Just saying man it is your profile.

Texas
December 10th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Just saying man it is your profile.

Having funny pictures in a running joke on an internet message board is something that happens. Hardly indication of someone being classless.
Why is it out of our losses and certainly not our most embarrassing by any means (UCA) has there been such an uproar? Answer that one. NDSU has had our number twice on a much bigger stage, was there outbursts from Sam fans? What about McNeese? They've had our number longer than most have we complained about their fans?

IBleedYellow
December 11th, 2013, 12:13 AM
Having funny pictures in a running joke on an internet message board is something that happens. Hardly indication of someone being classless.
Why is it out of our losses and certainly not our most embarrassing by any means (UCA) has there been such an uproar? Answer that one. NDSU has had our number twice on a much bigger stage, was there outbursts from Sam fans? What about McNeese? They've had our number longer than most have we complained about their fans?

I had a great time socializing with Sam fans the past two years...the fact that SELA fans talk so much **** to you guys is low, and entertaining.

Poor SELA.

SELA

SELA

SELA

SELAAAAAAAAAA

McNeese72
December 11th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Hey, most visiting fans love coming to McNeese. Especially, the ones from the playoff teams the last decade or so. We tailgate with them, give them food and drink, and then our football team lays down and gives them a victory (read that as we get our butts kicked). :-)

Seriously, most visiting fans especially the playoff teams have had good things to say about their visits to McNeese (and that was repeated again on the Jacksonville St. board) just this last week.

We have never had a problem with the Lions fans. Of course, the only fans I personally have had a problem with were at Texas St. Their students suck!!

I'm sure there are a few asshole fans at McNeese but there aren't many of them and we discourage them.

Doc

caribbeanhen
December 11th, 2013, 08:18 AM

ESPN3 must be amazing, wish I had it. The tone of the thread indicates to me that the frozen crowd up north knows that SELA has the talent to beat them and are already warming up the excuses...

Sammy94
December 11th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Hey, most visiting fans love coming to McNeese.

Its my favorite SLC trip. This year we showed up to tailgate around noon, by 1pm we had been invited to join 4 McNeese tailgates (2 of which were student tailgates)and everyone of them told us if there was anything at all we needed just ask. Plenty of friendly banter going on before and during the game. We were subject to a couple of students that went overboard it happens but the surprising thing was that some older McNeese fans checked them and we had no more issues after that. Once we got beat we continued to party with a group from McNeese that had a Zydeco band playing. It was a great time as always. Win or lose, McNeese is the example of class all SLC schools should strive for when it comes to hosting visitors.

BEAR
December 11th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Just a question. What time limit does your school allow for tailgating?

UCA is 6 hours before and you better take it down right after the game. Sad. Many days I've tailgated I wanted to be there early morning to slow cook tasty bbq and set up tournaments so fans could enjoy the experience. But sadly the campus police, good people mind you, will make sure you don't interfere with normal campus business on the stadium street too early. Well, they don't mind a little early if you offer them some grub. But overall tailgating has come a long way but it just needs a few more enhancements to push it over the top. I can see McNeese fans camping out the night before. xlolx

McNeese72
December 11th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Just a question. What time limit does your school allow for tailgating?

UCA is 6 hours before and you better take it down right after the game. Sad. Many days I've tailgated I wanted to be there early morning to slow cook tasty bbq and set up tournaments so fans could enjoy the experience. But sadly the campus police, good people mind you, will make sure you don't interfere with normal campus business on the stadium street too early. Well, they don't mind a little early if you offer them some grub. But overall tailgating has come a long way but it just needs a few more enhancements to push it over the top. I can see McNeese fans camping out the night before. xlolx

If you are asking about the McNeese tailgating, officially you aren't supposed to get there before noon on Friday and are supposed to be gone by noon on Sunday. Of course, that gets fudged a little. And we aren't in an area that would interfere with the University business or parking.

Doc

BEAR
December 11th, 2013, 11:47 AM
If you are asking about the McNeese tailgating, officially you aren't supposed to get there before noon on Friday and are supposed to be gone by noon on Sunday. Of course, that gets fudged a little. And we aren't in an area that would interfere with the University business or parking.

Doc

Yeah, I guess that's the problem with UCA. The field is on campus enough to possibly interfere with normal business. But I have seen McNeese fans in their RVs parked in the lots a day before so I guess there are exceptions. I tried to do a camp out the night before a big game vs. Sam a few years back and was told the old regulation. It's for the students safety blah blah blah... but I really just want to get there the morning of and make a day of it. xsighx

Green26
December 11th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Contrast the facts and punishment with Montana's situation. Different facts; similar punishments. Focusing on football, SE La's situation involved scores of ineligible football players over multiple years, and lack of institutional control. Montana's situation involved 2 players in a handful of games in one season. The ncaa determined that the university should have reported that a local player's mom, at the request of an out-of-state player's family, had put up $320 late one night to bail 2 players out of jail. She was repaid in full a week later. In addition, the ncaa said UM should have figured out a law firm that was evaluating a possible plaintiffs civil rights case against the city, to be done on a contingency, didn't charge these 2 players for the criminal aspect of the matter (this arrangement would be normal in Montana in a plaintiffs contingency fee case). And 3 booster moms/families, none of whom were big boosters or known to the athletic department, provided too many in-home meals to some athletes over the years.

UM received a loss of 3 schollies for football for 3 years, probation for 3 years, vacating of 5 wins I think, and some other minor sanctions.