PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Illinois' Dino Babers Interviewed With Eastern Mich

UNHWildCats
December 10th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Babers interviewed for the Eastern Michigan job yesterday.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Hopefully EMU can keep its mouth shut until the playoffs is over.

Lehigh'98
December 10th, 2013, 02:30 PM
I think Clawson has accepted the Wake Forest job. Not sure if Dino was in the running for that?

eiupantherfan94
December 10th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Even though EIU was coming off back-to-back 2 win seasons, the program really wasn't in the mess that EMU's program finds itself in. I hope Babers stays at Eastern but he would be the right person to pull the team from the ashes.

centennial
December 10th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Even though EIU was coming off back-to-back 2 win seasons, the program really wasn't in the mess that EMU's program finds itself in. I hope Babers stays at Eastern but he would be the right person to pull the team from the ashes.
Its the price you pay for success at FCS level. What is his salary?

eiupantherfan94
December 10th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Its the price you pay for success at FCS level. What is his salary?

A measly 170k according to this article.
http://ilnews.org/college-coaches-net-highest-state-salaries-with-benefits/

centennial
December 10th, 2013, 02:51 PM
A measly 170k according to this article.
http://ilnews.org/college-coaches-net-highest-state-salaries-with-benefits/
Top FCS schools are in the range of 250-300k. Could EIU increase his salary to keep him from leaving? Eastern Michigan base is 350k, probably close to the 5-600k range with incentives.

Sycamore62
December 10th, 2013, 03:03 PM
I cant imagine they could pay him $300.

SIUSalukiFan
December 10th, 2013, 03:20 PM
I cant imagine they could pay him $300.

I hope they can do better than that. xblehx

grkerber87
December 10th, 2013, 03:27 PM
EIU probably can't/won't be able to keep him. EMU seems like a weird destination though. I would think there will be better offers in the coming weeks

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

centennial
December 10th, 2013, 03:32 PM
EIU probably can't/won't be able to keep him. EMU seems like a weird destination though. I would think there will be better offers in the coming weeks

Its unfortunate. Get to top of FCS, get your coach poached off faster than you can enjoy it.

skinny_uncle
December 11th, 2013, 03:06 AM
Its unfortunate. Get to top of FCS, get your coach poached off faster than you can enjoy it.

It happens.
:(

TU Tiger Town
December 11th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Good for him, I hope he gets the job soon... as in team breakfast Friday morning soon ;)

mamberso
December 11th, 2013, 08:40 AM

This is the sentiment of everyone I have talked to. As quickly as EIU turned it around, you knew this was coming. But EMU? I figured Babers would find his way directly to a BCS-level school. EMU paid their last coach a little over double what Babers makes at EIU (not counting incentives). Obviously, money talks. But if EIU can guarantee him $300k/year, he should probably stay.

But the question has to be asked...how much does Jimmy G. and Lora's departure after this season have to do with Babers possibly leaving? There is clearly a lot of talent left, but losing these guys (especially Jimmy G) will cause some drop off next season, in my opinion.

grkerber87
December 11th, 2013, 08:48 AM
This is the sentiment of everyone I have talked to. As quickly as EIU turned it around, you knew this was coming. But EMU? I figured Babers would find his way directly to a BCS-level school. EMU paid their last coach a little over double what Babers makes at EIU (not counting incentives). Obviously, money talks. But if EIU can guarantee him $300k/year, he should probably stay.

But the question has to be asked...how much does Jimmy G. and Lora's departure after this season have to do with Babers possibly leaving? There is clearly a lot of talent left, but losing these guys (especially Jimmy G) will cause some drop off next season, in my opinion.

Definitely going to be drop off. However, I still think EIU would beat EMU head to head next year and Babers is such a good coach, EIU would be a definite contender for a playoff spot at worst, in my opinion. Remember, these guys won 2 games in 2011.
That's probably just a biased opinion though. Either way, he should wait and see what happens with the whole Texas situation, that could open up a much better spot for him in the FBS.

Although, turning around EMU would turn some heads for sure.
All that to say, this is all a matter of where, not when, unfortunately. He is very very very likely done at EIU after this season is done.

Sycamore62
December 11th, 2013, 09:18 AM
With some of the dominos in place now and the possibility of Saban leaving, do you think he might have a shot at say Arkansas State (if reports are true) or another job that opens up because of success?

grkerber87
December 11th, 2013, 11:00 AM
I would think that'd be a good possibility. Schools have to see how quickly EIU turned around and how successful the EIU and Baylor offenses have been, so I would think he'd be an attractive candidate. Although, I am admittedly uninformed of the inner details of coaching searches.

CPrice91
December 11th, 2013, 11:16 AM
This is the sentiment of everyone I have talked to. As quickly as EIU turned it around, you knew this was coming. But EMU? I figured Babers would find his way directly to a BCS-level school.

After seeing that the best Bohl can do with back-to-back FCS championships was Wyoming, it seems we've severely overestimated what FCS success can get you in the FBS...

grkerber87
December 11th, 2013, 11:28 AM
After seeing that the best Bohl can do with back-to-back FCS championships was Wyoming, it seems we've severely overestimated what FCS success can get you in the FBS...

Good point

Tubakat2014
December 11th, 2013, 11:30 AM

Of course, you can get poached even faster if you get to the top of the bottom of the FBS... just ask Arkansas State, which essentially has become a one year post-grad program for head coaches. Freeze, Malzahn, and now Harsin.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 11th, 2013, 11:30 AM

Yep. Even a middle of the road FBS record at Arkansas State was good enough for Bryan Harsin to get hired at Boise. Granted, he's a Boise guy but this would be similar to that...Wyoming as a chance for a better job.

centennial
December 11th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Bohl would have been a lower BCS/upper FCS candidate if his record was good. Its the baggage that makes him a tougher hire. He has still been offered multiple positions before this including NIU. I think it has to do with his stock price probably getting lower with all the seniors graduating. He is jumping ship at the right time.

PanthersBlue
December 11th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Head coach from Drake has been named the new coach at EMU.

Dino will be around for a little longer.

EKU Toss Sweep
December 11th, 2013, 07:55 PM

As an OVC fan I'm glad to hear it, as an EKU fan not so much. Unfortunately for EIU fans my guess is that it is truly just a "little longer". You sail with the rising tide and Dino's tide is rising quickly. I don't see him back in Chucktown next year, so make the OVC proud in 2013.

dgtw
December 11th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Isn't EMU the place that draws around 6,000 per game? Yeah, that's where I'd want to coach.

danefan
December 11th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Isn't EMU the place that draws around 6,000 per game? Yeah, that's where I'd want to coach.

The MAC has also turned unto a pipeline of sorts for BCS head coaches.

eiupantherfan94
December 11th, 2013, 10:15 PM

Thank goodnessxlolx

centennial
December 11th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Thank goodnessxlolx
EMU pulls another one of the hat. Take a pioneer team coach over over who beat a bowl team and gave another one a scare. Good for EIU fans.

eiu1999
December 11th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Thank goodnessxlolx

He won't be back.

Sycamore62
December 12th, 2013, 12:40 PM
I wonder if Babers has a better job on deck?

centennial
December 12th, 2013, 12:58 PM
I wonder if Babers has a better job on deck?
Me too. Or if he was asking for too much money. Wouldn't surprise me if that is the case.

jmufan999
December 12th, 2013, 01:05 PM
I know it would be a "fall back" job, but we'd obviously love Dino at JMU. Maybe if he somehow exhausts all of his FBS options he'll consider us. I'm guessing (TOTAL guess) that he'd probably just stay at EIU rather than take a different FCS job, uprooting his family for probably only a few years. One can dream.

centennial
December 12th, 2013, 01:29 PM
I know it would be a "fall back" job, but we'd obviously love Dino at JMU. Maybe if he somehow exhausts all of his FBS options he'll consider us. I'm guessing (TOTAL guess) that he'd probably just stay at EIU rather than take a different FCS job, uprooting his family for probably only a few years. One can dream.
Can JMU match the base of 350k? Possibly 500k with incentives? That is what EMU pays. EIU pays 160k. There is a possibility that he gets poached by a rich FCS school but it is small. I see multiple fan bases talking about him.

jmufan999
December 12th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Can JMU match the base of 350k? Possibly 500k with incentives? That is what EMU pays. EIU pays 160k. There is a possibility that he gets poached by a rich FCS school but it is small. I see multiple fan bases talking about him.

I think you missed what I said. "Fall back" was the key phrase, meaning if he DOESN'T get an FBS job. And clearly EMU is not an option anymore.

No, of course JMU can't match the salary of an FBS coach. I believe Mickey was making $233K. But it's an attractive FCS job in my opinion with "whispers" of an FBS move. Probably more of an inevitability, and almost certainly a clause in the future coach's contract that a pay increase will occur with an FBS move.

caribbeanhen
December 12th, 2013, 08:12 PM
any oldtime E Illinois fans happen to be in Longview Texas on Dec 9th, 1978?