PDA

View Full Version : NCAA and Coaching Changes

Snowgoose
December 8th, 2013, 04:40 PM
This is the year for Bohl to leave and I am a Bison fan, but this thing will Coach Bohl made me think the NCAA could really help prevent these types of terrible situations where you have a coach that wants to finish what he has started but it puts the coach and school in an awkward position because of the recruiting issue. I think a few things could help solve this and I am just throwing out ideas but #1 would be the first and best in my opinion.

1. Creat a recruiting dead period from 12/1 to 1/10 to prevent coaches from being in awkward situations that are pursing championships or bowl games.
2. MOve the recruiting LOI date to say 12/1 or 4/1.

Other Thoughts?

IBleedYellow
December 8th, 2013, 04:44 PM
This isn't just a special situation to NDSU, we aren't the center of the world. This will only change the FCS as we know it, and not because of rule changes.

Snowgoose
December 8th, 2013, 04:49 PM
I know that. I am implying as bowl teams are often left without coaches mainly because they want to get a headstart mainly on recruiting. I feel this puts the universities and the coaches in an ethical dilemma, but if you remove the recruiting aspect of it for a short time period it would be easier to allow someone to say coach a bowl game or finish a playoff run. This has nothing to do with NDSU, but everything to do wiht the way college football is right now that I believe can be solved.

Bisonator
December 8th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Coaches are recruiting year round. Nothing will solve the recruiting dilemma.

Snowgoose
December 8th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Yes they r but the point is for them to be able to finish what they start. I honestly would let bohl walk cause who is he recruiting for right now. This happens in fbs as well and it stinks and mainly it has to do with the recruiting issue between the regular season end when coaches r fired and the bowl games. So make it a no contact period whatsoever.

rmutv
December 8th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Coaches will never agree to that, even though this notion technically helps them with the "awkwardness".D

December visits are way too valuable, especially the ones the coaches make to high schools around the country and the home visits they make. The recruiting calendar is based off of what impacts the BCS schools, and they'll never give up the pre-holiday visits. The tweak to the recruiting calendar to expand the holiday dead period this year created enough of a howl.

Plus, the coaches can already move freely from job to job. I don't think you need to handcuff newly hired coaches and the ones staying put to suit the couple of dozen in the FBS and FCS who will change jobs.

JayJ79
December 8th, 2013, 07:36 PM
I disagree with that proposal.
If anything, it gives a slight "consolation" prize to those teams who didn't make the postseason. It means that they can concentrate more on recruiting, perhaps giving them a slight jump. Though, of course, recruits are still going to look more favorably on a school with postseason success.
But the point being, there is no reason to implement such a "dead period".

Texas
December 8th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Boohoo you lost a coach to a bigger program. Welcome to football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Bisonwinagn
December 8th, 2013, 08:20 PM
I was thinking this same thing. I think the NFL has a rule about interviewing during playoffs as well. They shouldn't have a dead period for recruiting, but a dead period for interviewing.

Bisonoline
December 10th, 2013, 12:29 AM
Many years ago it was the norm for coaches to finish out with their team who were in a bowl game. Cant remember when that changed. Its just wrong for a coach to leave his team when there is still a game to be played. Ive had that thought for years. It not fair to the players or the fans. I like the fact that our coach requested to finish out the season and WY showed great class in telling him he need to go back to NDSU and finish his business!

- - - Updated - - -

Boohoo you lost a coach to a bigger program. Welcome to football.

I see that AZZHAT is surgically implanted on your head.

Texas
December 10th, 2013, 12:33 AM
Many years ago it was the norm for coaches to finish out with their team who were in a bowl game. Cant remember when that changed. Its just wrong for a coach to leave his team when there is still a game to be played. Ive had that thought for years. It not fair to the players or the fans. I like the fact that our coach requested to finish out the season and WY showed great class in telling him he need to go back to NDSU and finish his business!

- - - Updated - - -

I see that AZZHAT is surgically implanted on your head.

Am I or the fan base that thinks the NCAA should bend over backward for them because they lost their coach? Face it this has been happening a long time, that is football. It's literally countless on how many times it's happened.

Gordon Shumway
December 10th, 2013, 07:15 AM
This is the year for Bohl to leave and I am a Bison fan, but this thing will Coach Bohl made me think the NCAA could really help prevent these types of terrible situations where you have a coach that wants to finish what he has started but it puts the coach and school in an awkward position because of the recruiting issue. I think a few things could help solve this and I am just throwing out ideas but #1 would be the first and best in my opinion.

1. Creat a recruiting dead period from 12/1 to 1/10 to prevent coaches from being in awkward situations that are pursing championships or bowl games.
2. MOve the recruiting LOI date to say 12/1 or 4/1.

Other Thoughts?

The NCAA did create a recruiting dead period starting this year from 12/16-1/15, so I guess they don't really have to do anything. :D

Bisonator
December 10th, 2013, 09:01 AM
The NCAA did create a recruiting dead period starting this year from 12/16-1/15, so I guess they don't really have to do anything. :D

Serious question, what does this mean actually and how is this enforced? Anyone have the link to this new rule?

Gordon Shumway
December 10th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Serious question, what does this mean actually and how is this enforced? Anyone have the link to this new rule?

Here is one link that talks to the new rules:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/10/30/ncaa-board-of-directors-football-recruiting-all-star-games-dead-period/3317441/

Bisonator
December 10th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Here is one link that talks to the new rules:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/10/30/ncaa-board-of-directors-football-recruiting-all-star-games-dead-period/3317441/

From that link:

•Establish a dead period when no in-person recruiting can take place. The dead period, scheduled to coincide with winter holidays and the annual American Football Coaches Association convention, begins the Monday of the week in which mid-year junior college transfers can begin signing the National Letter of Intent. It ends the Wednesday of the week of the AFCA convention. For 2013-14, Dec. 16 through Jan. 15 is now a dead period. The FBS supported this proposal, but the FCS did not because its coaches need more time to discuss it. Army and Navy may seek a temporary exception from this new rule if the date of this season's game makes it difficult for them to follow it.

So does this apply to the FCS now or not? Also this only applies to in-person recruiting?

walliver
December 10th, 2013, 09:28 AM
The overwhelming majority of FCS schools did not go to the playoffs, and well over half of those who did have already finished their seasons (16 out of 24 are already gone). It makes no sense for 114 FCS coaches to sit on their rear ends and do nothing just to make NDSU fans feel special.

The playoffs interfere with recruiting, but most schools are willing to accept that in order to participate. If you want to be completely "fair" then why not ban all recruiting from the Saturday before Thanksgiving until after the national championship?

NDSU will likely lose a few recruits who wanted to play specifically for the current coaching staff, that's football. But that also opens up scholarship opportunities for other qualified athletes who want to play indoors in the tundra.

Bisonoline
December 17th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Am I or the fan base that thinks the NCAA should bend over backward for them because they lost their coach? Face it this has been happening a long time, that is football. It's literally countless on how many times it's happened.

One person posting an idea in no way represents a whole fan base and in no way means we think the NCAA should bend over back wards for us. Its called a discussion. May be if you werent getting tea bagged 24/7 you just might be able to comprehend what is being posted.