PDA

View Full Version : Bohl will coach until season is over

Gil Dobie
December 8th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Bohl will coach until the season is over according to Gene Taylor

Link

http://www.inforum.com/media/story/jpg/2013/12/08/photo-(1).jpg (http://www.inforum.com/event/image/id/365074/headline/Craig%20Bohl%20leaves%20team%20meeting/)
NDSU football coach Craig Bohl leaves a team meeting at the Fargodome Sunday morning, offering no comment about whether he has accepted the head coaching position at the University of Wyoming. Photo by Dave Samson.

FARGO – North Dakota State athletic director Gene Taylor said Sunday afternoon that Craig Bohl will coach the North Dakota State football team the rest of the season.Bohl will be named the head coach at the University of Wyoming at a press conference in Laramie on Sunday night, but will return to the team along with all of the assistant coaches. Taylor said he talked with Bohl on Friday about the position but he said Bohl had yet to make up his mind.
“When I saw that Wyoming was open, I knew they would come after Craig,” Taylor said.
Bohl will owe NDSU a $100,000 buyout per his contract. He will also not be allowed to contact any current Bison recruits. NDSU has 14 verbal commitments for the 2014 recruiting class.
“We will manage that as best we can,” Taylor said. “I think Craig will be respectful of that.”

GreatAppSt
December 8th, 2013, 03:28 PM
This will be a very interesting study in human reaction and interaction.

Drblankstare
December 8th, 2013, 03:32 PM
I just don't know what to say about this. Let's hope he and his coaches heads are in the game and not in Laramie.

Texas
December 8th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Aren't they getting paid incentives? I'm sure they don't want to leave money on the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

FargoBison
December 8th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Aren't they getting paid incentives? I'm sure they don't want to leave money on the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Bohl recieves 5k for each home game, 10k for a runner-up finish and 15k for a national title.

Assistants get $750 for each playoff home game, 1.5k for a runner-up finish and 2k for a national title

IBleedYellow
December 8th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Time to get this train back on track for 5 weeks.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2013, 03:55 PM

It appears to have been the players' decision. Very mature group.

Bisonator
December 8th, 2013, 04:01 PM
I don't necessarily agree with keeping Bohl on but it is what it is and we need to move on and finish it off. I just hope this doesn't come back to bite NDSU. GO BISON!!

centennial
December 8th, 2013, 06:38 PM
The only advantage is that we might be able to win the NC still. Everything else is going completely wrong.
He is gone with OC,DC and DE. With a possible 4 more coaches. Basically, he will gut the whole coaching staff.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2013, 06:57 PM
The only advantage is that we might be able to win the NC still. Everything else is going completely wrong.
He is gone with OC,DC and DE. With a possible 4 more coaches. Basically, he will gut the whole coaching staff.

That's fine with me. Blue chip coaching candidate comes in with a better than average chance of a conference and deep playoff run. Sounds pretty darn attractive to me.

Darlinikki150
December 8th, 2013, 07:00 PM
That's fine with me. Blue chip coaching candidate comes in with a better than average chance of a conference and deep playoff run. Sounds pretty darn attractive to me.

Agreed NoDak. We still have strong players even with the Seniors leaving this year. A new coaching staff will take a couple years to get the kinda recruits they want but I hardly see us falling off the map.

Bisonwinagn
December 8th, 2013, 08:28 PM
This lessens the sting if they all do their job and win the Championship!! I do think Taylor should have handled this better and had this all planned out before it was leaked and then scrambled to figure things out. However, he was probably in shock like everyone else and wasn't thinking rationally.

underdawg
December 8th, 2013, 08:40 PM

Here is my made for ESPN dramatic made for sports center scenario: Bohl is introduced to a chorus of boos but then the whole team goes on to the field with their hands raised quieting the boos, that the turn into loud cheers and the Bison then goes on to win handily.

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2013, 08:49 PM
I think it's going to be an awkward intro on Saturday but I really hope our fans treat Coach Bohl with the respect he's earned and deserves. In his introductory press conference with Wyoming he choked up twice when talking about his players and NDSU and Gene Taylor. That was a type of emotion I haven't seen him show outwardly in any of his 11 years at NDSU and gives me confidence that he's committed to one last hurrah for his soon to be ex-team.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Just watched Coach Bohl's presser at Wyoming. Great man and coach.

Best of luck to him at Wyoming.

Drblankstare
December 8th, 2013, 10:01 PM
For shame if one boo rains down on him from the rafters. He won and he did it with class the majority of the time. Yes, hes leaving and taking the coaching staff. That does sting of course, but he doesn't deserve to be turned on.

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 10:03 PM
For shame if one boo rains down on him from the rafters. He won and he did it with class the majority of the time. Yes, hes leaving and taking the coaching staff. That does sting of course, but he doesn't deserve to be turned on.

There will be boos....

There were beau
NDSU posters here wishing death on him

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

swaghook
December 8th, 2013, 10:06 PM
I think by next Saturday the majority of the fans will have worked through to the final stage of loss which is acceptance and only the totally classless will attempt booing.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2013, 10:14 PM
There will be boos....

There were beau

No there wont.

You like to keep pushing the 'death' wish crap all day....big deal, people were venting emotion.

Bison56
December 8th, 2013, 10:49 PM
There will be boos....

There were beau

Wow you are a tool.

Green26
December 8th, 2013, 10:54 PM
How/when will Bohl put his Wyo. staff together? He's obviously not going to wait until after the national championship game. Which school will pay for that work?

Who will do the recruiting for NDSU from now until a new coach is hired?

Who will do the recruiting for Wyo. from now until Bohl is done at NDSU?

Will NDSU hire a new coach while Bohl is still coaching NDSU? I assume they will.

IBleedYellow
December 8th, 2013, 10:58 PM
How/when will Bohl put his Wyo. staff together? He's obviously not going to wait until after the national championship game. Which school will pay for that work?

Will NDSU hire a new coach while Bohl is still coaching NDSU? I assume they will.

If our team is in Frisco this year, we will most likely have a new coach in Fargo or around the states getting his things in affair while Coach Bohl is giving us fans his last hurray in Frisco, and you can bet there will be tears when he raises that trophy one last time.

MplsBison
December 8th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Need a head coach who knows MN and WI high school football.

How about Glen Caruso, the HC at St. Thomas in the cities? He was OC in Babich's last season, but more importantly he was responsible for bringing Walker and Mays to Fargo.

Just one thought. Otherwise, how about St Cloud or Duluth's HC??

SIUSalukiFan
December 8th, 2013, 11:56 PM

I think this arrangement, frankly, is quite refreshing. If you watch bowl games every year there are 5-10 teams being coached by interim coaches because their head coach bolted for another job. That's BS.

If Craig Bohl and his staff can lead NDSU to another national title while taking care of his early Wyoming business we may see more arrangements like this in the future. But if the Bison fall short I'm guessing we won't see anything like this again.

FargoBison
December 8th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Need a head coach who knows MN and WI high school football.

How about Glen Caruso, the HC at St. Thomas in the cities? He was OC in Babich's last season, but more importantly he was responsible for bringing Walker and Mays to Fargo.

Just one thought. Otherwise, how about St Cloud or Duluth's HC??

Caruso is at the top of my list.

bojeta
December 9th, 2013, 12:14 AM
Bohl recieves 5k for each home game, 10k for a runner-up finish and 15k for a national title.

Assistants get $750 for each playoff home game, 1.5k for a runner-up finish and 2k for a national title

Sort of reminds me of my high school coaching days. $1,500 for an entire season (Spring, Summer, and 10 games + playoffs if you make it)!! Gotta love the incentives offered to teachers for working a 2nd job ;)

frozennorth
December 9th, 2013, 01:18 AM
caruso, pflugrad are probably the out of the gate favorites.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 9th, 2013, 06:18 AM
caruso, pflugrad are probably the out of the gate favorites.

Caruso is a great candidate but no way on Pflugrad.

Klieman, Hazelton, Rob Ambrose and Brian Ward would make great candidates also.

Houndawg
December 9th, 2013, 06:51 AM
We'll take your S&C coach if Bohl isn't...

State Line Liquors
December 9th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Rob Ambrose

Not your guy.

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2013, 07:57 AM
I wonder what the chances are that the guy on the opposite sideline this week is on the radar? Moglia has Nebraska connections like Bohl and was an actual CEO (many have credited Bohl's success to his ability to be a "football CEO"). Not sure if he has other Midwestern ties but he coached in Omaha as well.

rokamortis
December 9th, 2013, 08:19 AM
I wonder what the chances are that the guy on the opposite sideline this week is on the radar? Moglia has Nebraska connections like Bohl and was an actual CEO (many have credited Bohl's success to his ability to be a "football CEO"). Not sure if he has other Midwestern ties but he coached in Omaha as well.

I thought about that yesterday. It may be possible. He said he's extremely grateful and loyal to Coastal for being the only school willing to take a chance on him and he would like to be loyal. He has said it would have to be a no-brainier in which our president and AD would say he'd be stupid not to accept - many of us interpreted as a BCS level school. But I think NDSU would be one of, if not the only, FCS school he'd consider.

Guess we'll just have to see.

kalm
December 9th, 2013, 08:38 AM

This right here.

Coaching an FCS team this time of year is not exactly a 9-5 job...and that includes the assistants. It's a nice story that he's gonna try and play out the string, but one or both of these programs is getting short-changed in the process.

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2013, 09:14 AM
This right here.

Coaching an FCS team this time of year is not exactly a 9-5 job...and that includes the assistants. It's a nice story that he's gonna try and play out the string, but one or both of these programs is getting short-changed in the process.
Wyoming's AD said in an interview after Bohl's introductory press conference that he's going to support Bohl in whatever decision he and NDSU make regarding Bohl's position at NDSU the rest of the season. He seemed to empathize with the players at NDSU regarding their current situation. I'm sure he'd prefer to have Bohl and staff already recruiting for Wyoming and assembling a complete staff but from the sounds of it they're going to allow Bohl the leeway he needs to coach the Bison.

Whether or not Bohl and staff are 100% committed to NDSU is the question. I'm sure he's anxious to try and build some semblance of a recruiting class at Wyoming this year. However, seeing how emotional he got at the press conference yesterday when talking about the players at NDSU and the AD at NDSU I'm thinking, wishfully perhaps, that he's going to give his complete commitment towards finishing the season as strong as possible at NDSU.

I thought about that yesterday. It may be possible. He said he's extremely grateful and loyal to Coastal for being the only school willing to take a chance on him and he would like to be loyal. He has said it would have to be a no-brainier in which our president and AD would say he'd be stupid not to accept - many of us interpreted as a BCS level school. But I think NDSU would be one of, if not the only, FCS school he'd consider.

Trust me, you neeeeeeever know with coaches. ;)

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2013, 09:19 AM

Age might not be on his side. NDSU is not looking for a short timer. I would guess they are looking at the 45-55 range of guy.

I had no idea he was in his mid '60s

Tubakat2014
December 9th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Wyoming's AD said in an interview after Bohl's introductory press conference that he's going to support Bohl in whatever decision he and NDSU make regarding Bohl's position at NDSU the rest of the season. He seemed to empathize with the players at NDSU regarding their current situation. I'm sure he'd prefer to have Bohl and staff already recruiting for Wyoming and assembling a complete staff but from the sounds of it they're going to allow Bohl the leeway he needs to coach the Bison.

Whether or not Bohl and staff are 100% committed to NDSU is the question. I'm sure he's anxious to try and build some semblance of a recruiting class at Wyoming this year. However, seeing how emotional he got at the press conference yesterday when talking about the players at NDSU and the AD at NDSU I'm thinking, wishfully perhaps, that he's going to give his complete commitment towards finishing the season as strong as possible at NDSU.

A rare example of empathy and common sense in college football today. I don't think Bohl would have taken the job if Wyoming's AD didn't give him the opportunity to stay at NDSU through the playoffs. Then again, I'm not the one being offered a tripled salary...

Bison56
December 9th, 2013, 10:17 AM
I know a lot of people are upset, but this could have been a lot worse. Wyoming could of wanted him to start right away and a lot of the other coaches could have left with him if they wanted also leaving the team in really bad shape. I hope that the coaches and team can stay focused until the end of the year. I guess we will find out.

And after seeing Bohl in his press conference at Wyoming I am willing to say that it was not an easy decision for him to make. I wish him well and thank him for his time at NDSU.

robsnotes4u
December 9th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Age might not be on his side. NDSU is not looking for a short timer. I would guess they are looking at the 45-55 range of guy.

I had no idea he was in his mid '60s

Probably the biggest item, He doesn't need the money.

Appaholic
December 9th, 2013, 10:31 AM
This lessens the sting if they all do their old job and win the Championship!! I do think Bohl & Wyoming should have handled this better and had this all planned out before it was leaked and then Taylor had to scramble to figure things out. However, they were thinking of themselves and didn't care if Taylor was in shock like everyone else and wondering why Bohl had failed to mention this to him earlier in the evening after the game. But hey, Bohl's staying for the playoff run (I mean seriously, how much worse is Wyoming going to be 5 weeks from now) and I'm sure his number one priority will be to focus on the team he just walked out on and the AD he just allowed to look clueless & foolish to the fanbase & college football nation. It's all good in Fargo....nothing to see here....move along...

fify

UNDBIZ
December 9th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I think by next Saturday the majority of the fans will have worked through to the final stage of loss which is acceptance and only the totally classless will attempt booing.

So there will be a lot of booing in Fargo..... xsmiley_wix

xangelx

Note smiley faces and don't get pissed.<---

State Line Liquors
December 9th, 2013, 11:15 AM
I'm sure it's already been said in the various pages on the topic, but this is a very classy thing to have happened here with him finishing the season with NDSU. The way this all initially came out left me with a bad taste in my mouth, but I think it's been corrected for the most part. You can't fault the guy for leaving given the financial benefits to his family and the potential new challenges ahead at Wyoming. I think he would have had better opportunities available than Wyoming, but what do I know? Obviously disappointing to NDSU fans that he's leaving, but I think in the end this has probably turned out as positively and respectfully as it could have given the circumstances. Bohl apparently felt he couldn't turn down the opportunity at Wyoming, but he's doing the right thing by his team and the NDSU fans in finishing the season and trying to win that 3rd championship.

gotts
December 9th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it looks like there's a dead period for recruiting starting the 16th

Honest question, I'm curious as to how productive a week of recruiting would be?

ursus arctos horribilis
December 9th, 2013, 12:01 PM
This has happened a few times at Montana with Utah St., Wyoming, UNLV and in all three cases the coach was allowed to coach until their playoff run ended.

I didn't know it was considered unusual.

Bisonator
December 9th, 2013, 12:15 PM
This has happened a few times at Montana with Utah St., Wyoming, UNLV and in all three cases the coach was allowed to coach until their playoff run ended.

Hey Ursus did UM hire a new coach while the other coach was still there?

Sounds like this could happen at NDSU. Might be an awkward situation.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2013, 12:16 PM

No it wont.

2013 Bison - your job it to win the next 3 games

2014 Bison - go recruit players for a 4 peat.

Pretty simple.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 9th, 2013, 12:18 PM

No, hires were done after from all situations I remember.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 9th, 2013, 12:20 PM
No it wont.

Pretty simple.

Don't know the rules on that but it would actually be a pretty big advantage over what other teams in the playoffs have to deal with. If a new coach could be out recruiting while the playoff run is going on then it's a pretty good thing if you are looking for a silver lining. Don't know the rules on it though.

centennial
December 9th, 2013, 12:21 PM

It will be better than losing the recruits. We need the same type of scheme at NDSU. Balanced with power running and throwing with some play action with tampa 2ish defense. If we can find someone like that, we will still contend for the MVFC title. High flying skill players from TX, FL, CA would never come to NDSU.

Bisonator
December 9th, 2013, 12:21 PM
No it wont.

Pretty simple.

I hope that's what happens.

IBleedYellow
December 9th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Don't know the rules on that but it would actually be a pretty big advantage over what other teams in the playoffs have to deal with. If a new coach could be out recruiting while the playoff run is going on then it's a pretty good thing if you are looking for a silver lining. Don't know the rules on it though.

This is what my Dad and I have been talking about. Even if the coach isn't 100% announced or there is some law preventing them both being hired, Bohl IS on Wyoming's payroll as of yesterday, so we're currently without a Head Coach. Should be interesting couple of weeks.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2013, 12:22 PM
It will be better than losing the recruits. We need the same type of scheme at NDSU. Balanced with power running and throwing with some play action with tampa 2ish defense. If we can find someone like that, we will still contend for the MVFC title. High flying skill players from TX, FL, CA would never come to NDSU.

What's Willie Mack Garza doing these days?

Bisonator
December 9th, 2013, 12:25 PM

I agree. I would like the new staff to coach the same scheme wise.

Professor Chaos
I'd also think it would be an advantage for the new coach to be around the team while Bohl and staff are still there to see how they're running a system that obviously works quite well at NDSU.

centennial
Not a chance.
http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/nov/16/timeline-how-willie-mack-garza-story-unfolded/

CSU18
December 9th, 2013, 12:26 PM
I just watched Coach Bohl's interview and read an article about his leaving to go to Wyoming. After watching/reading, I have a lot of respect for Coach Bohl, and how he handled the situation. While coaching the rest of the season, recruiting for Wyoming, and recruiting for NDSU is going to be a challenge for all involved, (it's obvioulsy not an ideal situation) I think it speaks to the kind of guy he is. He could have easily walked away from NDSU and left them in an even worse position. Kudos to Wyoming and NDSU for allowing him to finish out the year and allowing them to atempt to pull of a 3-peat. Again, I understand that it's going to be difficult for the team as well as recruiting for both NDSU and Wyoming, but I really think Bohl is trying to handle the situation in a way that is beneficial to all parties involved.

With that said, good luck to CCU....represent the Big South well.

Bisonator
December 9th, 2013, 12:27 PM

Probably still doing Lane's dirty work. xsmhx

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Not a chance.
http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/nov/16/timeline-how-willie-mack-garza-story-unfolded/

Sorry forgot the xlolx after that.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 9th, 2013, 12:29 PM
I just watched Coach Bohl's interview and read an article about his leaving to go to Wyoming. After watching/reading, I have a lot of respect for Coach Bohl, and how he handled the situation. While coaching the rest of the season, recruiting for Wyoming, and recruiting for NDSU is going to be a challenge for all involved, (it's obvioulsy not an ideal situation) I think it speaks to the kind of guy he is. He could have easily walked away from NDSU and left them in an even worse position. Kudos to Wyoming and NDSU for allowing him to finish out the year and allowing them to atempt to pull of a 3-peat. Again, I understand that it's going to be difficult for the team as well as recruiting for both NDSU and Wyoming, but I really think Bohl is trying to handle the situation in a way that is beneficial to all parties involved.

With that said, good luck to CCU....represent the Big South well.

Man, I keep seeing this over and over and don't remember a situation where the coach wasn't allowed and did not coach through the playoffs. I am seriously asking why this seems unusual to people?

centennial
December 9th, 2013, 12:30 PM
I'd also think it would be an advantage for the new coach to be around the team while Bohl and staff are still there to see how they're running a system that obviously works quite well at NDSU.
Doesn't the job have to be open for a certain amount of time by state law?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Doesn't the job have to be open for a certain amount of time by state law?

not if internal. There is also the emergency hire provision.

centennial
December 9th, 2013, 12:34 PM
not if internal. There is also the emergency hire provision.
I think we are all clear what Bohl might end up with 7(4 for sure as of now) of our coaches. OC and DC have already said no to Gene. This will have to be a outside hire. So maybe a emergency hire provision.

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2013, 12:37 PM

This really piqued my interest because I wasn't aware of precedence for this. But looking back it looks like UNLV announced the Hauck hiring on 12/22/09 and the Griz season ended as national runner up to Nova on 12/18/2009. Similarly, Glenn was hired on 12/12/2002 and the Griz season ended that year in a quarterfinal loss to McNeese on 12/7.

Were both of those situations one of those "secret that everybody knows" type of thing?

MplsBison
December 9th, 2013, 12:43 PM
How about Curt Wiese, the HC at Duluth? Done a great job there, knows Minnesota and Wisconsin very well.

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=15&path=football

MN and WI are 90% of NDSU's talent. The rest fill in from Dakotas and Nebraska. Just need to hire an assistant who knows SD and NE well.

NDSU will always get the pick of the high school football litter within ND.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 9th, 2013, 12:44 PM
This really piqued my interest because I wasn't aware of precedence for this. But looking back it looks like UNLV announced the Hauck hiring on 12/22/09 and the Griz season ended as national runner up to Nova on 12/18/2009. Similarly, Glenn was hired on 12/12/2002 and the Griz season ended that year in a quarterfinal loss to McNeese on 12/7.

Were both of those situations one of those "secret that everybody knows" type of thing?

Yea and also Dennehy is in that same group as far as I remember. It appears that the press conference was scheduled for Bohl a little earlier than the ones for Montana though or was that a last minute thing after the story broke?

centennial
December 9th, 2013, 12:47 PM
How about Curt Wiese, the HC at Duluth? Done a great job there, knows Minnesota and Wisconsin very well.

MN and WI are 90% of NDSU's talent. The rest fill in from Dakotas and Nebraska. Just need to hire an assistant who knows SD and NE well.

I would be down with that plan. He could succeed at NDSU. Do you know what O and D he runs?

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Yea and also Dennehy is in that same group as far as I remember. It appears that the press conference was scheduled for Bohl a little earlier than the ones for Montana though or was that a last minute thing after the story broke?
I don't think so. I think the plan all along was for him to be introduced as the new head coach in a press conference last Sunday after he accepted the job. Even after the press conference the Wyoming AD wasn't entirely sure whether Bohl would continue at NDSU. I'm paraphrasing but he said something like "We expect him to finish his commitment this year at NDSU but that decision is up to him and the AD at NDSU and that's not certain yet so we'll support him in whatever decision they make". I'm not one of them but some of our fans are upset that a guy who was standing in front of a Wyoming press conference talking about Wyoming being his team and his state is going to be leading the charge from the NDSU sideline this Saturday.

Catbooster
December 9th, 2013, 12:56 PM
It seems like having another coach hired before Bohl leaves is pretty aggressive to me (and assuming that NDSU is in the championship game). Isn't that only 4 weeks from when your AD found out he needs to hire someone? That seems like a pretty short time frame to me assuming it's a national search, several candidates get scheduled for interviews (during the holidays and bowl/playoff season), etc. It would be nice for you guys to get it taken care of that quickly, but I'm not sure it's likely.

When is the end of the quiet phase for recruiting? 1st week of Jan?

Bisonator
December 9th, 2013, 01:06 PM

Maybe as an assistant but not the HC. Only 1 year as HC at UMD is not sufficient to take over the reigns at NDSU.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 9th, 2013, 01:08 PM
I don't think so. I think the plan all along was for him to be introduced as the new head coach in a press conference last Sunday after he accepted the job. Even after the press conference the Wyoming AD wasn't entirely sure whether Bohl would continue at NDSU. I'm paraphrasing but he said something like "We expect him to finish his commitment this year at NDSU but that decision is up to him and the AD at NDSU and that's not certain yet so we'll support him in whatever decision they make". I'm not one of them but some of our fans are upset that a guy who was standing in front of a Wyoming press conference talking about Wyoming being his team and his state is going to be leading the charge from the NDSU sideline this Saturday.

I wouldn't have expected you to not be one of the appreciative types and every fan base has it's fair share of the emotional, low intellect types so you guys are not alone.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2013, 01:12 PM
I wouldn't have expected you to not be one of the appreciative types and every fan base has it's fair share of the emotional, low intellect types so you guys are not alone.

I genuinely do not care about what Bohl does as long as he does his job. NDSU doesn't win by love points, they win by points made on the scoreboard.

Make your coordinators understand that the only thing they need to think about is getting that ****ing championship trophy. That is done by men on the field, not in people's hearts.

The crowd will cheer the team, they love the Bison...they couldn't give one **** about the Wyoming Cowboys.

State Line Liquors
December 9th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Man, I keep seeing this over and over and don't remember a situation where the coach wasn't allowed and did not coach through the playoffs. I am seriously asking why this seems unusual to people?

Pretty simple: Most of us think of scenarios from FBS where head coaches are hired by another institution and then don't continue to coach through practice or bowl games. I suppose there is some kind of precedent from situations at Montana, but few of us recall that scenario from Montana and most of us think of more publicized and frequent situations with coaching changes at FBS.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 9th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Pretty simple: Most of us think of scenarios from FBS where head coaches are hired by another institution and then don't continue to coach through practice or bowl games. I suppose there is some kind of precedent from situations at Montana, but few of us recall that scenario from Montana and most of us think of more publicized and frequent situations with coaching changes at FBS.

Got it, comparison of unlike items does that.

State Line Liquors
December 9th, 2013, 01:47 PM
And thus the great mystery is solved.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 9th, 2013, 02:00 PM
And thus the great mystery is solved.

You're welcome.

Hambone
December 9th, 2013, 03:08 PM
My question is how would the timeline be sped up by an "emergency hire provision"? How does this qualify as an emergency?

FargoBison
December 9th, 2013, 03:18 PM
My question is how would the timeline be sped up by an "emergency hire provision"? How does this qualify as an emergency?

It could be damaging to the future success of the program. We have recruits committed to the school that need to know who the coach will be an we have a class we need to fill. The loss of coach Bohl was unexpected and NDSU needs to move forward quickly.

CSU18
December 9th, 2013, 04:30 PM

I can't say that I've ever seen it...if I have, I just don't remember it happening. It just seems to me that there could be a conflict of interest involved. Wyoming wants their new coach to come on board and start recruiting. NDSU wants someone who's 100% committed to the program (not saying Bohl isn't until the season ends, but you have to wonder if part of him is just ready to move on). You just have to think that both programs are ready to move on and take the next step. By having to wait until the playoffs to end (which for NDSU could be January) you're putting both programs a little behind in recruiting. For Bohl, if he were to go to Wyoming now, he could be assembling a staff, meeting with the team to go over schemes, etc.

While I'm glad to see both sides of the deal are working together for the good of the NDSU team, I just question some of the downfalls that could come from it.

FargoBison
December 9th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Craig Bohl will being doing his radio coaches show tonight, this show is dominated by fans calling in and asking questions. I love that he is doing this...says a lot about him that he is going to take calls from the fanbase tonight.

Lehigh'98
December 9th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Since Bohl is sticking around for now, will NDSU use this as a reason should they get upset in the qtrs or semis?

Darlinikki150
December 9th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Since Bohl is sticking around for now, will NDSU use this as a reason should they get upset in the qtrs or semis?

Not at all. Our players are on the field making the plays, not Coach. If we lose its because we didn't protect the ball, didn't execute plays, didn't play defense and got beat by a better football team.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2013, 04:47 PM

Don't you worry about NDSU. They'll be just fine.

SUPharmacist
December 9th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Craig Bohl will being doing his radio coaches show tonight, this show is dominated by fans calling in and asking questions. I love that he is doing this...says a lot about him that he is going to take calls from the fanbase tonight.

I agree, he is at least standing in to take the heat from the timing of this.

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2013, 05:11 PM
I'm nearly positive it will be used as an excuse by some fans if the Bison do lose this Saturday and it may or may not be warranted. This is a massive distraction and that's never a good thing for a football team. It will have an effect on the team but for all we know that effect may be positive in bringing the players closer together or playing even harder to send their departing coaches out on a high note. I think if they can get through this week it shouldn't be used as an excuse should they lose in the semis or in Frisco but it could be a valid point if they lose this week.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 9th, 2013, 05:19 PM

Some of the fans will say that no doubt. "His head and heart were already in Wyoming" is the basic concept. I just took Montana fans quips and figure that's how it will go. There might also be shots at him already counting his money etc.

Oh and if he has a final team meeting something about the way he handled that will be seen as disrespectful to the players and/or the school. People need to manufacture some hate at times....some people I mean.

texcap
December 9th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Not at all. Our players are on the field making the plays, not Coach. If we lose its because we didn't protect the ball, didn't execute plays, didn't play defense and got beat by a better football team.
What about the classic Chattown excuse, "The officials lied!"

Darlinikki150
December 9th, 2013, 07:36 PM
What about the classic Chattown excuse, "The officials lied!"

That excuse is currently being used by some Griz fans, it isn't available for use. ;)

MplsBison
December 9th, 2013, 11:15 PM
I would be down with that plan. He could succeed at NDSU. Do you know what O and D he runs?

I don't know the schemes, just that Duluth scores a lot of points and wins a lot of games in DII (granted, not the same DII that NDSU knew...).

Probably one of those "new-aged" passing/shotgun thingy's that everyone runs now.

MplsBison
December 9th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Maybe as an assistant but not the HC. Only 1 year as HC at UMD is not sufficient to take over the reigns at NDSU.

Ah, I didn't read closely enough. Just saw that he had been at Duluth 5 years and I assumed he had been the HC that whole time.

Fair enough.

SIUSalukiFan
December 9th, 2013, 11:43 PM

How many times has it really happened? The Montana examples seem to show the jobs weren't accepted until after the seasons were over with.

Somebody posted earlier Jerry Kill agreed with Northern Illinois before Southern Illinois was done in the playoffs in 2007 but I don't think that's the case.

Whenever a coaching change happens at the BCS level the coach in question NEVER sticks around to coach a bowl game.

I think this Bohl/NDSU playoffs/Wyoming scenario is uncharted waters.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 10th, 2013, 12:29 AM
How many times has it really happened? The Montana examples seem to show the jobs weren't accepted until after the seasons were over with.

Somebody posted earlier Jerry Kill agreed with Northern Illinois before Southern Illinois was done in the playoffs in 2007 but I don't think that's the case.

Whenever a coaching change happens at the BCS level the coach in question NEVER sticks around to coach a bowl game.

Ok.

Bisonoline
December 10th, 2013, 12:31 AM

Urban Myers.

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2013, 12:48 AM
That excuse is currently being used by some Griz fans, it isn't available for use. ;)

I'm glad you used the word "some", otherwise we'd be having an issue, as I've felt and expressed nothing but empathy/sympathy for the Bison fans over the timing of this.

Some fans in every fanbase seem only loosely tethered to reality.

Darlinikki150
December 10th, 2013, 12:56 AM
I'm glad you used the word "some", otherwise we'd be having an issue, as I've felt and expressed nothing but empathy/sympathy for the Bison fans over the timing of this.

Some fans in every fanbase seem only loosely tethered to reality.

Oh I know, I'm mostly referring to the hoards on eGriz, not AGS.

Its tough being invested in a coach, players, team so much. I can't talk to much, I was fricken hot Saturday night but by Sunday after seeing Coach talk I simmer down. I'm sure the Griz fans feel the same way about losing a close game, I fully expected seeing you guys for a Friday night game.

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2013, 01:13 AM
Oh I know, I'm mostly referring to the hoards on eGriz, not AGS.

Its tough being invested in a coach, players, team so much. I can't talk to much, I was fricken hot Saturday night but by Sunday after seeing Coach talk I simmer down. I'm sure the Griz fans feel the same way about losing a close game, I fully expected seeing you guys for a Friday night game.

Man, don't focus on the hordes at egriz - they're... well, I'll just call 'em special snowflakes and leave it at that. I like to generally consider myself more objective than the lot, though I'm sure there are exceptions.

I was disappointed in our team's effort, especially given that this would have been a good opportunity for payback from NDSU's last win over the Griz. But I gotta give Bohl credit for staying even with all of this, and as I've said before, I'm quixotically cheering for the Bison this week because of all of this.

centennial
December 10th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Man, don't focus on the hordes at egriz - they're... well, I'll just call 'em special snowflakes and leave it at that. I like to generally consider myself more objective than the lot, though I'm sure there are exceptions.

I was disappointed in our team's effort, especially given that this would have been a good opportunity for payback from NDSU's last win over the Griz. But I gotta give Bohl credit for staying even with all of this, and as I've said before, I'm quixotically cheering for the Bison this week because of all of this.
A lot of NDSU fans were cheering for your team. Long throws really killed that game. Do you have a new QB for next year?

AppMan
December 11th, 2013, 06:48 AM
This is obviously none of my business, but my .02 is I don't see him staying as a positive for either school. Yes all the feel good stories of supporting the players he recruited and trying to win the 3rd consecutive NC are fine, but each school's football program needs their dedicated HC at this very crucial time in the recruiting season. The NC game is Jan 4th. National signing day is Feb 5th. I don't see how Bohl can do service to both schools.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 11th, 2013, 07:04 AM
This is obviously none of my business, but my .02 is I don't see him staying as a positive for either school. Yes all the feel good stories of supporting the players he recruited and trying to win the 3rd consecutive NC are fine, but each school's football program needs their dedicated HC at this very crucial time in the recruiting season. The NC game is Jan 4th. National signing day is Feb 5th. I don't see how Bohl can do service to both schools.

There is a 'dead' period right now until the middle of January for FBS coaches. They cannot contact recruits. That works out pretty well for NDSU. Plus, with 24 seniors, this will not be a problem.

Bison win this game by pounding CC.....41-21

IBleedYellow
December 11th, 2013, 07:27 AM

Because you're going FBS and clueless enough to not realize that the coaches CAN'T TALK TO RECRUITS during Bowl Season. Glad to see you have done your homework so well.

Catbooster
December 11th, 2013, 07:32 AM
With 24 seniors, it seems there is a lot of recruiting that needs to be done at NDSU...who does that recruiting? The head coach that will soon be trying to recruit players to Wyoming? The assistants who may be leaving to Wyoming or not, but probably don't have much assurance of being at NDSU next year until they know who the new head coach is? And assuming the coaches do their best (which I assume they will), the recruits will likely have some hesitation to commit if the coach recruiting them might not be there when they show up to campus next fall.

There's nothing you can do about it. It's the nature of the business and there are a few schools that go through this each year, but I'd be hoping you're able to make the new hire quickly.

Professor Chaos
December 11th, 2013, 08:06 AM
With 24 seniors, it seems there is a lot of recruiting that needs to be done at NDSU...who does that recruiting? The head coach that will soon be trying to recruit players to Wyoming? The assistants who may be leaving to Wyoming or not, but probably don't have much assurance of being at NDSU next year until they know who the new head coach is? And assuming the coaches do their best (which I assume they will), the recruits will likely have some hesitation to commit if the coach recruiting them might not be there when they show up to campus next fall.

There's nothing you can do about it. It's the nature of the business and there are a few schools that go through this each year, but I'd be hoping you're able to make the new hire quickly.
The hot rumor right now is that current DC Chris Kleiman is in serious discussions to become the next head coach. If that's the case I'd expect they'd be able to retain some of the staff and have a better handle on maintaining the recruiting class (13 known verbals to this point).

F'N Hawks
December 11th, 2013, 08:32 AM
re: recruiting dead period - Yes you can contact them. You cannot visit them in-person is my understanding.

Professor Chaos
December 11th, 2013, 09:12 AM
re: recruiting dead period - Yes you can contact them. You cannot visit them in-person is my understanding.
I believe they can contact them but not in person and not over the phone. But who knows, you'd really need a damn attorney to understand all the intricacies of NCAA recruiting regulations and there's frequent loopholes within them.

Hammerhead
December 11th, 2013, 11:43 AM
It's hard to compare BCS teams when they have anywhere from 3-5 weeks between their last regular season game and the bowl. It might just be my FCS bias, but I think a national championship trophy is better than a rinky-dink.com bowl trophy anyway.

BEAR
December 11th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Hey I gotta ask. What is the NDSU athletic budget? Is it bigger than most other FCS schools? I ask that because with your success at all the levels you've played and nice attendance you get would you be a candidate for an FBS move? This is a serious question because of APPs and other schools move to the FBS and I am not familiar with your budget.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 11th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Hey I gotta ask. What is the NDSU athletic budget? Is it bigger than most other FCS schools? I ask that because with your success at all the levels you've played and nice attendance you get would you be a candidate for an FBS move? This is a serious question because of APPs and other schools move to the FBS and I am not familiar with your budget.

Right around $15 million, if what I've read is correct.

caribbeanhen
December 11th, 2013, 11:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7A6E0jZRvE

Professor Chaos
December 11th, 2013, 11:59 AM
One of the things I loved hearing from the players yesterday was how they are even more motivated to win now because they don't to give their naysayers an excuse to call them weak and say they couldn't handle their coach leaving. I have a good feeling about the test of character this team is going through.

Bisonator
December 11th, 2013, 12:02 PM

Our budget would need to double to go FBS. Not to mention that little conference invite clause.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 11th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Our budget would need to double to go FBS. Not to mention that little conference invite clause.

Yep. Wyoming's budget is around $35 million. Juxtapose that with a big time BCS budget north of $100 million an you see that FBS is a wasteland of haves and have nots.

centennial
December 11th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Right around $15 million, if what I've read is correct.
17$ million for this year I think. We are at least 5 million short for lower FBS conference.
Comparison with MAC-
Miami $25,604,474.00
EMU $24,635,531.00
Akron $24,498,336.00
CMU $24,104,699.00
WMU $23,233,399.00
Ohio $22,875,238.00
NIU $21,899,024.00
Toledo $20,021,956.00
Kent $19,446,680.00
BGSU $17,850,240.00
Ball State $17,347,944.00
Buffalo $16,973,585.00

centennial
December 11th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Mountain West Budgets-
UNLV » $59,143,059

New Mexico » $37,331,322

Air Force » $35,081,470

Hawaii » $34,946,092

Fresno St. » $26,690,524

Wyoming » $26,524,851

Colorado St. » $25,355,036

Nevada » $23,988,811

San Jose State » $20,785,707

Utah St. » $19,344,112

NoDak 4 Ever
December 11th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Mountain West Budgets-
UNLV » $59,143,059

New Mexico » $37,331,322

Air Force » $35,081,470

Hawaii » $34,946,092

Fresno St. » $26,690,524

Wyoming » $26,524,851

Colorado St. » $25,355,036

Nevada » $23,988,811

San Jose State » $20,785,707

Utah St. » $19,344,112

My numbers were off but it's pretty much the same principle. Again - the middle 5 cannot come close to the top 5 conferences.

centennial
December 11th, 2013, 12:19 PM
My numbers were off but it's pretty much the same principle. Again - the middle 5 cannot come close to the top 5 conferences.
Both of these numbers might be a year old.. still agreed. As of now we would be last place in MW and 2nd last in MAC. We simply don't have the money to move unless the state of ND gives us $5million a year(will never ever happen) and the students fund another 5.