2. @ Montana - 17,345
3. @ Maine - 7,992
4. @ Southeast Louisiana - 6,874
5. @ Eastern Washington - 6,127
6. @ McNeese State - 5,036
7. @ Eastern Illinois - 4,825
8. @ Towson - 4,671

Not sure why this hasn't been posted???

I find it interesting that Maine gets crapped on for their attendance yet they were #3 yesterday (#2 for games played outdoors). Interesting...........

Mountaineer
December 8th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Nice job Maine.

Yikes to McNeese, Eastern and Towson. xsmhx

Skyhawk71
December 8th, 2013, 11:25 AM
I would say, those like myself that where stuck in the middle of an Ice storm and the terrible weather significantly held down EIU attendance, they will have two more this week in the stands, and I'm looking forward to actually seeing the game from the press box side, literally..........bleachers on other side are so far from the field it is a bit ridiculous

melloware13
December 8th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Attendance as percentage of capacity (based on Wikipedia pages, so there could be inaccuracies):
NDSU: 97.13%
SE LA: 92.79%
Maine: 79.92%
EWU: 71.24%
Montana: 68.78%
EIU: 48.25%
Towson: 41.71%
McNeese: 28.60%

Seems only EIU can get the pass due to the ice though

mainejeff
December 8th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Attendance as percentage of capacity (based on Wikipedia pages, so there could be inaccuracies):

Either Maine has imaginary seats........or the University of Maine needs to revamp their official stadium capacity.....because the stands on both sides were 99.9% full.

Sycamore62
December 8th, 2013, 12:20 PM

I don't think the ice had as much bearing on it as just being generally cold.

Demwai
December 8th, 2013, 12:46 PM
I don't think the ice had as much bearing on it as just being generally cold.

SWAC Championship Game
Reliant Stadium
Houston, TX

Sader87
December 8th, 2013, 01:16 PM
From the 8 games yesterday:

1. @ North Dakota State - 18,455
2. @ Montana - 17,345
3. @ Maine - 7,992
4. @ Southeast Louisiana - 6,874
5. @ Eastern Washington - 6,127
6. @ McNeese State - 5,036
7. @ Eastern Illinois - 4,825
8. @ Towson - 4,671

Not sure why this hasn't been posted???

I find it interesting that Maine gets crapped on for their attendance yet they were #3 yesterday (#2 for games played outdoors). Interesting...........

Even with bad weather, "playoff indifference" etc etc.......these numbers are pretty troubling imo. Can the FCS-level programs really continue to commit so much $$$ into this when attendance for many games is not much better than a lot of D2 or D3 games???

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Even with bad weather, "playoff indifference" etc etc.......these numbers are pretty troubling imo. Can the FCS-level programs really continue to commit so much $$$ into this when attendance for many games is not much better than a lot of D2 or D3 games???
Those numbers are still worlds better than all but 5 D2 schools and 5 or so D3's.

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Those numbers are still worlds better than all but 5 D2 schools and 5 or so D3's.
From 2012 and the NCAA D2 title game had 7K...average home attendance in D2 was 3K D3 title game had 6k an average home game was 2k

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 8th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Either Maine has imaginary seats........or the University of Maine needs to revamp their official stadium capacity.....because the stands on both sides were 99.9% full.

Jeff, you've been around here long enough to know about the under reporting during the playoffs. After that article in the Portland newspaper, I'm sure UMaine wanted to show as large a profit as possible. What a shame that the newspaper had to dwell on the economics rather than the positives of Maine winning the CAA, earning their first home playoff game and having such a meaningful game in December. And there was absolutely no need to write that article because with a minimum bid, there was no way Maine wasn't making a profit!

BisonFan02
December 8th, 2013, 01:27 PM

Of note, the band doesn't count for attendance, and they occupy a good portion of that 2.87% (along with some returned Furman tickets).

ccd494
December 8th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Of note, the band doesn't count for attendance, and they occupy a good portion of that 2.87% (along with some returned Furman tickets).

I wonder if Maine counted UNH's band.

mainejeff
December 8th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Jeff, you've been around here long enough to know about the under reporting during the playoffs. After that article in the Portland newspaper, I'm sure UMaine wanted to show as large a profit as possible. What a shame that the newspaper had to dwell on the economics rather than the positives of Maine winning the CAA, earning their first home playoff game and having such a meaningful game in December. And there was absolutely no need to write that article because with a minimum bid, there was no way Maine wasn't making a profit!

Maine did not under report. It was a true 8K. Alfond Stadium does NOT seat 10K! It doesn't seat 9K! It maxes out around 8-8.5K......that is the reality.

Sader87
December 8th, 2013, 01:55 PM
I'll preface this by saying that I'm a big fan of FCS-level football and hope for its continued existence. That being said, can the amount of $$$, energy etc. continue to be spent if the vast majority of programs are averaging in or around 5K at games?

Maybe it can...I freely admit I don't know all the economics of the issue...but it just seems (to me anyway) that any college football game not around 10K or more smacks of "small-time football."

UNHWildcat18
December 8th, 2013, 02:10 PM
I feel there is one word that can sum up the problem with some fcs attendance besides success and that is atmosphere. A lot of programs have horrid stadiums with tracks and ugly bleachers. Grand valley state at the d2 level is the perfect definition of success and atmosphere for smaller crowds. Their student section is brilliant and close to the field. If UNH had that design with bigger home/away sides no doubt we would be pulling in more people. As a student I am a die hard fan but I hate our stadium and student section. Wish the stadium was as close as possible to the field and more enclosed overall. I want the track to go but it never will....

lionsrking2
December 8th, 2013, 03:14 PM
I feel there is one word that can sum up the problem with some fcs attendance besides success and that is atmosphere. A lot of programs have horrid stadiums with tracks and ugly bleachers. Grand valley state at the d2 level is the perfect definition of success and atmosphere for smaller crowds. Their student section is brilliant and close to the field. If UNH had that design with bigger home/away sides no doubt we would be pulling in more people. As a student I am a die hard fan but I hate our stadium and student section. Wish the stadium was as close as possible to the field and more enclosed overall. I want the track to go but it never will....

Wait til you see the atmosphere at Strawberry Stadium next week ... stands are right on top of the field ... crowd was electric last night! the ESPN3 webcast didn't do it justice.

Texas
December 8th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Wait til you see the atmosphere at Strawberry Stadium next week ... stands are right on top of the field ... crowd was electric last night! the ESPN3 webcast didn't do it justice.

How much of the crowd will have to post bail after being hauled away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

lionsrking2
December 8th, 2013, 03:23 PM
How much of the crowd will have to post bail after being hauled away?

Good luck to your team in the off-season.

Texas
December 8th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Good luck to your team in the off-season.

Reality will hit your hole sooner than later, see how long buying players lasts.

lionsrking2
December 8th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Reality will hit your hole sooner than later, see how long buying players lasts.

You dropped your pacifier on the way out last night ... we'll have it shipped to you Fed Ex ... too big for regular mail. Good luck to you.

Texas
December 8th, 2013, 03:33 PM
You dropped your pacifier on the way out last night ... we'll have it shipped to you Fed Ex ... too big for regular mail. Good luck to you.
Keep talking, I'll be laughing when you're back at the bottom of the SLC again.

DP_ASU
December 8th, 2013, 03:38 PM
You're gonna miss this...you're gonna want this back.

hebmskebm
December 8th, 2013, 03:56 PM
What happened with McNeese? I was under the impression they were one of the more well supported FCS clubs.

Red & Black
December 8th, 2013, 03:56 PM
There were actually more folks out at the game than I expected considering the temps. -10 wind chills, coldest game in program history. I think with a little warmer weather this weekend we should get around the 8-9k range.

eiupantherfan94
December 8th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Ice and the freezing cold basically ensured that the casual fans wouldn't come out to EIU. The fans that did brave the conditions though were loud and energetic for the first half, but then mostly left due to the 37-0 Eastern lead. xrolleyesx I don't believe it shall be as cold Friday night, so hopefully there will be a larger turnout.

McNeese75
December 9th, 2013, 10:02 AM
What happened with McNeese? I was under the impression they were one of the more well supported FCS clubs.

Excellent question. Needless to say, most of us that actually went to the game are not happy with at the apathetic fair weather fans that decided to skip the biggest game in Lake Charles in three years. xshakefistx It defines our fan base. They want the best but are not willing to provide the support to get it. Not that the end result would have changed but it had to deflate the home team a little to walk out and see less than 50% of the butts in the seats they were expecting. OH well, now the other 10,000 no shows can get excited about watching LSU and IOWA on NY day xcoffeex

Mountaineer
December 9th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Ice and the freezing cold basically ensured that the casual fans wouldn't come out to EIU.

I feel you, but the peeps that stay home because of the weather are missing out on fun times. App played Western Illinois in this in 2010:

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/UU/UUKAYIDOGPKCEIR.20101204214250.jpg

Managed to get 13K up the mountain for the game and it was a blast.

Thinking of making the two hour drive to Charleston for the semifinal if you guys manage to get past Towson. Good luck. xthumbsupx

DoubleH
December 9th, 2013, 11:58 AM
In Towson's defense, I do think they underreported. While the turnout was very disappointing, the stadium was definitely more than half full.

UNH72Plus
December 9th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Kudos to the Montana/Coastal Carolina fans for coming out in force in the -5 icebox.

Sammy94
December 9th, 2013, 01:22 PM
SWAC Championship Game
Reliant Stadium
Houston, TX

How many after halftime?

Robber
December 9th, 2013, 03:04 PM
How many after halftime?
Considering the competitiveness of the game and rivalry between the two schools, attendance did not drop much, if at all, after halftime.

Hammerhead
December 9th, 2013, 03:30 PM
It was about 20 degrees colder than average for EWU's game. I'm sure it was cold most other places, too.

McNeese72
December 9th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Now hear this: Our fair weather fans suck!!!!! That is all.

Doc

lionsrking2
December 9th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Now hear this: Our fair weather fans suck!!!!! That is all.

Doc

Maybe, but your bad weather fans are awesome!xbeerchugxxbeerchugx

clenz
December 9th, 2013, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=DoubleH;2070218]In Towson's defense, I do think they underreported..

Roughly half full is a stretch

Grizalltheway
December 9th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Kudos to the Montana/Coastal Carolina fans for coming out in force in the -5 icebox.

Thanks! I was one of teh 17k brave souls there, and I was actually quite comfortable between my hat, ski goggles, and massive wool sweater I wore under my jacket. The end result left me feeling much, much colder.xbawlingx

GAD
December 9th, 2013, 06:31 PM
How many after halftime?
4069 oh wait wrong game

McNeese72
December 9th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Maybe, but your bad weather fans are awesome!xbeerchugxxbeerchugx

But there "ain't" enough of them. All of the cockroaches have suddenly come out of the walls on our messageboard after the loss. I wonder where they have been all year starting back in August. Some of them are calling for us to fire a 10-3 coach. Shades of Charley Mac. (Note: only the old fans who know anything about the history of LSU will get that reference). :-)

Doc

Demwai
December 9th, 2013, 08:45 PM
How many after halftime?

Lol...You guys kill me. Whatever it was after halftime, probably was more than the highest playoff game attendance.

What kills me is you guys on here talking about the attendance for the playoffs is not good, but you have schools with a significant market showing up for their games. I'm pretty sure HBCU's have at least 7 of the top 10 highest attended games in the FCS this year.

GAD
December 11th, 2013, 05:49 PM
How many after halftime?http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-K6n9jAJ9JY
Here is a video of the trophy presentation after the game the crowd can be seen in the background

tomq04
December 12th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Repeating Red & Black, it was sub-zero with wind chill in Cheney, first game I made it to this year...totally worth it!

I would expect 9-10k this coming weekend with "normal" 30 degree weather with very little wind predicted. All other but the opener against a D2 had 10+k. Bring the noise Eagle fans!