PDA

View Full Version : Does NDSU turn into GSU or Youngstown State?

blueballs
December 8th, 2013, 11:04 AM
YSU won 4 titles in the early to mid 90's under Tressel and has not done anything significant on a national level since.

GSU won 6 titles under 3 different coaches and made 12 semi-final appearances under 5 different coaches from 1985-2012.

Now that Bohl has moved on what does the future hold for NDSU? The continued dynasty of GSU or the 13 years of relative mediocrity of YSU???????

centennial
December 8th, 2013, 11:07 AM
We are already similar to GSU. We have won under multiple coaches.. who knows what the future holds. The support for NDSU in fargo is huge though.

IBleedYellow
December 8th, 2013, 11:07 AM
We continue being North Dakota State.

Look us up from the 80s and you'll understand what I mean. We didn't have 3 losing seasons out of 50 just under Craig Bohl.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2013, 11:08 AM
No.

NDSU will continue to be a very good program.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2013, 11:18 AM
NDSU has won 10 national championships under 6 coaches. During every championship run, they won on both sides of the transition.

Erhardt won in his second year
Solomonson won in his first year
Hager won in his first year

in every case, they each won two. Back to back in Erhard and Solomonson's case, 2 out of the first 3 for Hager.

not worried.

NDBISONGUY
December 8th, 2013, 11:26 AM
The 36 scholarship limit is the only thing that derailed the NDSU train in the last 50 years. Survive and thrive. Maybe not to the level of the last three years, but recruiting classes like those don't come along very often.

IBleedYellow
December 8th, 2013, 11:30 AM
NDSU has won 10 national championships under 6 coaches. During every championship run, they won on both sides of the transition.

Erhardt won in his second year
Solomonson won in his first year
Hager won in his first year

in every case, they each won two. Back to back in Erhard and Solomonson's case, 2 out of the first 3 for Hager.

not worried.

I really wanted Bohl to win three. Le sigh.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2013, 11:31 AM
I really wanted Bohl to win three. Le sigh.

I don't care who wins the third as long as my ass is sitting in Texas in January.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 8th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Something in-between. Let me put this in perspective for some NDSU fans who maybe haven't followed the FCS for quite as long...

App. State wins 3 straight NCs - 2 with one of the best players in the history of the division - and doesn't do a whole lot after that with some outstanding recruiting.
Montana, who IMO historically has the best overall talent level in the FCS, goes 2-5 in championship games over the course of 15 seasons.

The main reason we were able to win 6 NCs in 16 seasons was because our offensive scheme gave us an advantage, and that advantage has gradually shrunk, although it is still very much there. We've had some great coaches, but let's face it, that was the main reason.

NDSU is a great program, but replicating what we did is an extremely tall order, especially if NDSU is going to stick with the kind of offense that they have been running. Running an offense like NDSU has been running you are going to have more down years than you will with a competent option coach. Even Tressel had a 5-6 season at Youngstown and Bohl has already had two rough seasons with NDSU in the MVFC.

GSU on the other hand has had four different option coaches who combined only had one season with fewer than 8 wins.

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 11:35 AM
No.

NDSU will continue to be a very good program.
GSU has been a very good program as well....

I see NDSU continuing to be good, but if the staff is completely gutted (and it's likely) after the season there is almost no chance the current level is maintained.

The seniors that are going to be gone (yes I know there are talented underclassmen), the staff likely being completely gutted (common sense says Bohl takes the best 5-8 with him and the others try to find a new job), trying to break a new coach in (likely a new system) with all of the new players, and the impact this could have on the recruiting class this year is nothing to shrug off.

It's not the end of the world but this could bring NDSU CRASHING back to earth for a couple years.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2013, 11:39 AM
If a former Bison assistant comes back to be HC, IMO, he keeps the same schemes on both sides of he ball.

Gil Dobie
December 8th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Bison won't go back to the triple option nor not win again under another coach. So the Bison will continue being the Bison.

Bisonator
December 8th, 2013, 11:49 AM

I see NDSU continuing to be good, but if the staff is completely gutted (and it's likely) after the season there is almost no chance the current level is maintained.

The seniors that are going to be gone (yes I know there are talented underclassmen), the staff likely being completely gutted (common sense says Bohl takes the best 5-8 with him and the others try to find a new job), trying to break a new coach in (likely a new system) with all of the new players, and the impact this could have on the recruiting class this year is nothing to shrug off.

It's not the end of the world but this could bring NDSU CRASHING back to earth for a couple years.

We were going to be back to earth anyway. No one stays on top for ever. We will still be a good team the next few years. Biggest thing this will do is cause a stumble in 3-4 years when this years recruiting class is on the field. It may not be pretty in a few years but this program won't be down for long. Never has been.

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 11:52 AM
We were going to be back to earth anyway. No one stays on top for ever. We will still be a good team the next few years. Biggest thing this will do is cause a stumble in 3-4 years when this years recruiting class is on the field. It may not be pretty in a few years but this program won't be down for long. Never has been.
I never said they would be Indiana State, Western Illinois, or Missouri State.

However, welcome to the world of having coaches (head and assistant) move on. NDSU has had a great amount of stability lately which is a huge piece of their success. Most FCS schools are looking for new assistants yearly. NDSU will be good again next year, but the depth issues if this recruiting class falls apart (some) could really start to take affect in a year or two and last for 3 or 4 years.

Hammersmith
December 8th, 2013, 11:52 AM

I hate it when you're right. The one thing you didn't mention is that there's a good chance he'll take most of our strength and conditioning program as well. By the time it's all said and done, the only thing left will be the trophy case. And ask some of our historic programs on here how far that gets you in the current win column. Couple ugly years coming(and that's if we hire right on the first try).

Sycamore62
December 8th, 2013, 11:54 AM
I'd say as long as the FargoDome didn't sign with Wyoming, they will still have a lot of potential to stay on top

ST_Lawson
December 8th, 2013, 11:58 AM
I never said they would be Indiana State, Western Illinois, or Missouri State.

However, welcome to the world of having coaches (head and assistant) move on. NDSU has had a great amount of stability lately which is a huge piece of their success. Most FCS schools are looking for new assistants yearly. NDSU will be good again next year, but the depth issues if this recruiting class falls apart (some) could really start to take affect in a year or two and last for 3 or 4 years.

Hey now, we're on our way back up.

As for NDSU, I think they remain in the top half of the MVFC, making the playoffs the majority of the time, but not as dominant as they have been the last few years.

penguinpower
December 8th, 2013, 02:14 PM
YSU has major challenges landing recruits living in the hotbed of Youngstown and surrounding areas. Since the early 2000's the MAC and other non-BCS power conference schools have gotten national exposure on ESPN. It started with the Thursday night games and went on from there. The thought process for the local recruits that (Tressel was able to bring in back then) has changed. They view going to to Kent State, Akron, Miami of Ohio, Ohio University, Cincinnatti, Pitt, etc. There are 10 division 1 programs in the state of Ohio. There are several other schools within an hour if the Y-town area including WVU, and Pitt. Buffalo is also close, Penn State is a few hours as well as Ohio State and Michigan.

Those kids think they will have a better shot at the next level by playing at these schools. Even recently, we lost 2 very, very good local kids that would normally land at YSU during the Tressel years to Buffalo and Kent as well as several that have gone to Akron. Obviously the big time kids produced out of Y-town like John Simon, maurice Clarrette, brad Smith, the Fitsgerald Tousant (Current Micigan running back), Ishmial kitchen (went to Iowa) and many many unnamed others would never land at YSU then or now. The issue is perception that YSU is little league in comparison to Akron, Kent etc.

It is really about exposure. Ohio State, Michigan State, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Penn state over-recruit the area. Now Kentucky is recruiting it heavily. The reason- Bob, Mike, Mark Stoops, Bo Pelini are from Y-town and Dantonio, Meyer have strong ties as Dantonio was the DC for YSU from the championship years. Narduzzi (MSU DC) is from y-town and played at YSU for his dad who was the HC before Tressel arrived.

Different era. Wish it wasn't this way, but we would be winning championships if we could keep our local kids. At least that is how I see it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2013, 02:22 PM
I hate it when you're right. The one thing you didn't mention is that there's a good chance he'll take most of our strength and conditioning program as well. By the time it's all said and done, the only thing left will be the trophy case. And ask some of our historic programs on here how far that gets you in the current win column. Couple ugly years coming(and that's if we hire right on the first try).

I disagree.

There are very good players in the Jr - So - RFR- True Fr classes and they will have their chance to shine next year. I would be surprised in any potential verbal for next year changes their mind.

IMO, it all depends on the hire by GT. Hopefully he gets a former assistant or current coordinator to step in as coach.

Losing these 24 seniors will definitely hurt but the team will be a contender next year also.

Herder
December 8th, 2013, 03:20 PM
I disagree.

There are very good players in the Jr - So - RFR- True Fr classes and they will have their chance to shine next year. I would be surprised in any potential verbal for next year changes their mind.

IMO, it all depends on the hire by GT. Hopefully he gets a former assistant or current coordinator to step in as coach.

Losing these 24 seniors will definitely hurt but the team will be a contender next year also.

Offense: I have very little concern with depth next year on Offense. Should challenge for MVFC title.
QB - Loaded behind Jensin, Wentz's time to shin in 2014
RB - Crocket, Anderson and Morlock . . . no worries at RB
FB - Bonnet and Cyre ready to go
OL - Lose 2, but very deep behind Turner and Gimme
TE - 3 guys waiting to play, and great H Back in Bonnet if needed here. Good combo of Blocker and pass catchers.
WR - Loaded, No issues

Defense - DT is the only area of concern.
DT - Big Losses, rFR and SO are good, but fairly untested. Biggest Hole for NDSU in 2014. Bodies are on the roster, can they develop?
DE - Hardie and Emanual will be as good as or better than our DE production in 2013.
LB - Beck and Littlejohn back, with great young speed behind them. Replacing Olson with Deluca. Great experience back at LB.
Safety - Dudzik and Heagle back. Shepard to replace, but some studs waiting to play with great size and speed.
CB - Williams gone after a great career, but he missed 1/2 of 2013, and the player behind him are ready. CJ Smith is a player.

Wow, if this squad does not win the valley, they will surely be a playoff team. The sky is not falling at NDSU.

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Offense: I have very little concern with depth next year on Offense. Should challenge for MVFC title.
TE - 3 guys waiting to play, and great H Back in Bonnet if needed here
WR - Loaded, No issues

Defense - DL is the area of concern.
DT - Big Losses, rFR and SO are good, but fairly untested. Biggest Hole for NDSU in 2014
DE - Hardie and Emanual will be as good as or better than our DE production in 2013.
LB - Beck and Littlejohn back, with great young speed behind them. Replacing Olson with Deluca. Great experience back at LB.
Safety - Dudzik and Heagle back. Shepard to replace, but some studs waiting to play with great size and speed.
CB - Williams gone after a great career, but he missed 1/2 of 2013, and the player behind him are ready. CJ Smith is a player.

Wow, if this squad does not win the valley, they will surely be a playoff team. The sky is not falling at NDSU.So....4 straight titles...right?

I mean...****

Herder
December 8th, 2013, 03:32 PM
So....4 straight titles...right?

I mean...****

Is your squad going to get to .500 in the valley next year? I'd worry about that goal. Seriously, I expect NDSU to win the valley again in 2014, with 1-2 losses on the year. That is how it looks with the returning players in place.

Bisonator
December 8th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Not as concerned about the returning players as I am about the coaching staff and our offensive and defensive schemes. Hopefully we find a staff that keeps the schemes already in place.

Lehigh'98
December 8th, 2013, 04:14 PM
TE - 3 guys waiting to play, and great H Back in Bonnet if needed here. Good combo of Blocker and pass catchers.
WR - Loaded, No issues

Defense - DT is the only area of concern.
DT - Big Losses, rFR and SO are good, but fairly untested. Biggest Hole for NDSU in 2014. Bodies are on the roster, can they develop?

Wow, if this squad does not win the valley, they will surely be a playoff team. The sky is not falling at NDSU.

In all seriousness, the magnitude of losing 75% of your coaching staff cannot be overstated. NDSU will not be the favorite to win the conference. Anything over a .500 season should be considered a great success when you are losing 24 seniors and potential recruits to Wyoming.

GSUNCSU
December 8th, 2013, 04:35 PM
You guys are taking it pretty well, and wish the BisonNation the best, but dang this inhales vigorously, we've been there done that. Good Luck!

I-AA Fan
December 8th, 2013, 04:36 PM
YSU won 4 titles in the early to mid 90's under Tressel and has not done anything significant on a national level since.

The continued dynasty of GSU or the 13 years of relative mediocrity of YSU???????

Pretty big words from a team that has been fairly mediocre in the past 5-10 seasons & only has 1-win against YSU

That being said, both NDSU and GSU benefit from unique game styles and sparse competition for recruits. This will not change with any change of coach. When you are the only game in town people come. YSU is one of 13 DI schools in Ohio ...GSU in one of 3 (historically, but now 4). NDSU is one of 2. Drop off will be little ...if any. NDSU will settle down, as recruiting balances out. However, they will be always successful ...very much like Delaware ...which has no in-state recruiting competition.

Bison56
December 8th, 2013, 05:32 PM
The strength and conditioning coaches will be a huge loss also.

Tribal
December 8th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Let's differentiate between 1-AA/FCS and sublevel championships when we talk about them so as to not confuse the younger audience.

underdawg
December 8th, 2013, 05:56 PM
I think, unless you think coaching accounts for nothing, it's got to hurt the Bison team a bit. By the way, who is that Offensive coordinator some Bison fans use to rag on--is he still there or is he going with Bohl?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2013, 06:03 PM
I think, unless you think coaching accounts for nothing, it's got to hurt the Bison team a bit. By the way, who is that Offensive coordinator some Bison fans use to rag on--is he still there or is he going with Bohl?

He is, and he may.

Lehigh'98
December 8th, 2013, 06:05 PM
YSU has major challenges landing recruits living in the hotbed of Youngstown and surrounding areas. Since the early 2000's the MAC and other non-BCS power conference schools have gotten national exposure on ESPN. It started with the Thursday night games and went on from there. The thought process for the local recruits that (Tressel was able to bring in back then) has changed. They view going to to Kent State, Akron, Miami of Ohio, Ohio University, Cincinnatti, Pitt, etc. There are 10 division 1 programs in the state of Ohio. There are several other schools within an hour if the Y-town area including WVU, and Pitt. Buffalo is also close, Penn State is a few hours as well as Ohio State and Michigan.

Those kids think they will have a better shot at the next level by playing at these schools. Even recently, we lost 2 very, very good local kids that would normally land at YSU during the Tressel years to Buffalo and Kent as well as several that have gone to Akron. Obviously the big time kids produced out of Y-town like John Simon, maurice Clarrette, brad Smith, the Fitsgerald Tousant (Current Micigan running back), Ishmial kitchen (went to Iowa) and many many unnamed others would never land at YSU then or now. The issue is perception that YSU is little league in comparison to Akron, Kent etc.

It is really about exposure. Ohio State, Michigan State, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Penn state over-recruit the area. Now Kentucky is recruiting it heavily. The reason- Bob, Mike, Mark Stoops, Bo Pelini are from Y-town and Dantonio, Meyer have strong ties as Dantonio was the DC for YSU from the championship years. Narduzzi (MSU DC) is from y-town and played at YSU for his dad who was the HC before Tressel arrived.

Different era. Wish it wasn't this way, but we would be winning championships if we could keep our local kids. At least that is how I see it.

The Youngstown-Warren area has a ton of local talent with traditional HS powerhouses. Tressel always did a phenomenal job of recruiting locally (think old Steel Valley conf). I don't think YSU does a good job as of the last decade of keeping local talent. Part of it is economic, Youngstown doesn't have the job market for kids to want to stay local anymore.

IBleedYellow
December 8th, 2013, 06:06 PM
The strength and conditioning coaches will be a huge loss also.

I haven't heard or read anywhere that Kramer is leaving.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Either way, this is a very attractive job and will get a lot of top candidates. I'm also predicting a bit of a pay bump for the next head coach.

Reign of Terrier
December 8th, 2013, 07:13 PM
I don't think the 4-peat will be a thing, but regardless I think NDSU is at least a bubble team. I'd say they go 7-4 or better, which isn't a knock on them given what all they will lose.

skinny_uncle
December 8th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Good point. Jerry Kill took our strength and conditioning coach when he left SIU. It probably had a negative impact on SIU athletics in general that went beyond football.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2013, 08:21 PM
I don't think the 4-peat will be a thing, but regardless I think NDSU is at least a bubble team. I'd say they go 7-4 or better, which isn't a knock on them given what all they will lose.

Yes, the Bison lose a lot of very good starters but the cupboard will not be bare.

The DL will need some depth....4 seniors will graduate. Wentz (QB) has some big shoes to fill.

I don't expect them to be like this team but they will be tough.

Daved
December 8th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Either way, this is a very attractive job and will get a lot of top candidates. I'm also predicting a bit of a pay bump for the next head coach.Wonder if Mickey Matthews will apply.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 8th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Wonder if Mickey Matthews will apply.

You know. I'm not sure what I want. A coach that has had some success and needs a change of scenery or a coordinator from a winner or, like Bohl, a FBS guy who is looking for a HC job.