PDA

View Full Version : Is NDSU still the favorite?!?

theasushow
December 7th, 2013, 09:49 PM
All indications are that NDSU's fantastic head coach Craig Bohl has accepted a coaching job at FBS Wyoming with an announcement expected tomorrow. Assuming Bohl leaves right away, what does this do to NDSU's chances of 3-peating? This is certainly horrid timing and a major distraction to say the least. NDSU certainly has the talent to win it all but will this play into the overall mindset of the team and coaching staff?

Twentysix
December 7th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Probably not. If we beat CCU then maybe. If only bohl leaves, and we can win next weekend. I would think most of the knee-jerk emotional stuff would be overwith.

dudeitsaid
December 7th, 2013, 09:53 PM
IMO, they aren't invincible, but they have the talent, depth, and discipline to win, and even with the turmoil of such a dramatic change, they will still be the team to beat. Heck, Bohl will probably use this to somehow motivate his team even more.

Sent from my SPH-M830 using Tapatalk

Hammerhead
December 7th, 2013, 09:54 PM
If the coordinators are staying, I still like our chances with so many players with playoff experience.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 7th, 2013, 09:55 PM
If the coordinators are staying, I still like our chances with so many players with playoff experience.

This here.

If a bunch of the staff leave then they will probably not 3-peat.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 7th, 2013, 09:56 PM
NDSU being chock full of experienced seniors will help minimize this as a distraction.

Sader87
December 7th, 2013, 09:58 PM
I think life as we've known it has fundamentally shifted.....think Isaac Newton, Darwin, Watson&Crick......a new day dawns..

IBleedYellow
December 7th, 2013, 09:58 PM
The seniors are tweeting how the road to a threepeat was never supposed to be easy.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

BEAR
December 7th, 2013, 09:59 PM
19 year olds can be so emotional. Who knows if some decide to take some of that out on the coach during the game. But then again, maybe they want that ring...for the third time. Who knows. Kids can surprise you.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 7th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Probably the only way anyone can beat NDSU this year................................still might not be enough to even the tables because they are head and shoulders above every team in the FCS

Professor Chaos
December 7th, 2013, 10:01 PM
I don't think any amount of experience can prepare you for this. The leadership of this team is really going to be put to the test. Can they do it? Maybe, maybe not. I hope they do but I certainly won't be shocked to see them in a bit of disarray after this sequence of events.

centennial
December 7th, 2013, 10:14 PM
If the news is true and bohl is taking trying to take as many coaches as possible(as rumored) then this team could easily lose after CCU or even CCU.

knucklehead
December 7th, 2013, 10:21 PM
I picked EIU before this, and I feel even better now.

frozennorth
December 7th, 2013, 10:22 PM
rumor on the twitter is that bohl is trying to take the entire staff. congrats to CCU on reaching the semi's

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 7th, 2013, 10:25 PM
rumor on the twitter is that bohl is trying to take the entire staff. congrats to CCU on reaching the semi's

Who the heck would coach?

Twentysix
December 7th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Who the heck would coach?

For $50,000 I'll lose the game as HC, and the media can yell at me for one day. :D

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 7th, 2013, 10:32 PM
For $50,000 I'll lose the game as HC, and the media can yell at me for one day. :D

Waterboy?

Eagle22
December 7th, 2013, 10:34 PM
I don't think any amount of experience can prepare you for this. The leadership of this team is really going to be put to the test. Can they do it? Maybe, maybe not. I hope they do but I certainly won't be shocked to see them in a bit of disarray after this sequence of events.

I've seen a lot of players over the years, and Brock Jensen is one of the most unflappable kids I've had the privilege to watch. I respected his play on the field, and reading a couple of twitter postings of his since this news broke only reinforces my thoughts on his resolve.

In 1990, Georgia Southern began the season after finishing the previous year with a 15-0 record. Our coach, Erk Russell retired and his OC (Tim Stowers) took the helm and promptly led the team to a pretty poor 1-3 start.

The good lesson in that was that the team still had a lot of players who believed in each other, despite the poor start. They battled back into contention and at that time, our route to the playoffs was even more difficult because we were independent and had to earn an at-large bid. The rest is history, and we went on to win the I-AA championship in 1990 behind a head coach who at the age of 31, was the youngest D1 head coach in the country.

If any team in the FCS can do it, the Bison can.

BisonFan02
December 7th, 2013, 10:43 PM
I've seen a lot of players over the years, and Brock Jensen is one of the most unflappable kids I've had the privilege to watch. I respected his play on the field, and reading a couple of twitter postings of his since this news broke only reinforces my thoughts on his resolve.

In 1990, Georgia Southern began the season after finishing the previous year with a 15-0 record. Our coach, Erk Russell retired and his OC (Tim Stowers) took the helm and promptly led the team to a pretty poor 1-3 start.

The good lesson in that was that the team still had a lot of players who believed in each other, despite the poor start. They battled back into contention and at that time, our route to the playoffs was even more difficult because we were independent and had to earn an at-large bid. The rest is history, and we went on to win the I-AA championship in 1990 behind a head coach who at the age of 31, was the youngest D1 head coach in the country.

If any team in the FCS can do it, the Bison can.

To this point, I would have rather Bohl left towards the beginning of the season to go through those growing pains...trial by fire in the postseason.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 7th, 2013, 10:46 PM
To this point, I would have rather Bohl left towards the beginning of the season to go through those growing pains...trial by fire in the postseason.

Well, if any team can do it, the Bison team can with these 24 seniors.

Maybe this will be a 'rallying point' for the team and they keep rolling.

Eagle22
December 7th, 2013, 10:47 PM

Yes, no doubt the timing is horrific. However, if there is a group of players that can rally behind each other ... your team has that chance.

IBleedYellow
December 7th, 2013, 10:50 PM
I at first was feeling like CCU was thrown a bone... They might have had gasoline and fire thrown all around them next week.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Twentysix
December 7th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Whatever, we can lose by 400 next week, I'm still going.

BisonFan02
December 7th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Well, if any team can do it, the Bison team can with these 24 seniors.

Maybe this will be a 'rallying point' for the team and they keep rolling.

Hope you are right....gonna be interesting to see how the crowd is next Sat at 11am.

stevdock
December 7th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Hope you are right....gonna be interesting to see how the crowd is next Sat at 11am.

The crowd will have a nervous energy to it, much like today. The difference though will be 19,000 will rise to support these young men as they take the field for OUR school. I guarantee that the FargoDome will be much louder next week than it has been all season long.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 7th, 2013, 11:11 PM

IMO, it will be just fine.

Twentysix
December 7th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Rumor is the entire staff is going with him after NDSU wins the Natty or is knocked out of the playoffs. (but it is a real rumor, not one from a journalist) It allegedly comes from an assistant coaches family.

Texas
December 7th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Rumor is the entire staff is going with him after NDSU wins the Natty or is knocked out of the playoffs. (but it is a real rumor, not one from a journalist) It allegedly comes from an assistant coaches family.
Must have gotten a hell of a deal for all of them.

theasushow
December 7th, 2013, 11:20 PM

But Bohl himself leaving ASAP?

pike51
December 7th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Even if the announcement is Sunday, I think Bohl sticks around to finish the season. That's the right thing to do. If he does leave so he can "start recruiting", all the other coaches will stay in place until the seaon is over. The entire staff, even if they are going with, will not leave until the NDSU season is finished.

Keep in mind that current staff at Wyoming have been recruiting all year so they have targets ifentified. Also, there may be several NDSU commits who will swap committment to stay with Bohl's staff. What this hurts the most is NDSU's recruiting for next year.

Twentysix
December 7th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Even if the announcement is Sunday, I think Bohl sticks around to finish the season. That's the right thing to do. If he does leave so he can "start recruiting", all the other coaches will stay in place until the seaon is over. The entire staff, even if they are going with, will not leave until the NDSU season is finished.

Keep in mind that current staff at Wyoming have been recruiting all year so they have targets ifentified. Also, there may be several NDSU commits who will swap committment to stay with Bohl's staff. What this hurts the most is NDSU's recruiting for next year.

Bohl cannot contact or accept any recruits that he has contacted at NDSU, as stipulated by his contract. He has a 1 year recruiting ban.

FargoBison
December 7th, 2013, 11:35 PM

You can't be the head coach of two programs.

The OC or DC will be the head coach going forward.

Twentysix
December 7th, 2013, 11:37 PM
Never mind, their is a huge loophole in the recruiting ban. All of our recruits will want to play at wyoming.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 7th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Never mind, their is a huge loophole in the recruiting ban. All of our recruits will want to play at wyoming.

Maybe...with 22 more scholarships, maybe they all get full rides.

Twentysix
December 7th, 2013, 11:43 PM
Maybe...with 22 more scholarships, maybe they all get full rides.

The loophole stipulates that if the recruit contacts bohl at Wyoming, he can recruit them... I am sure they will all do that. Bohl is only barred from intiating contact, or having anyone associated with Wyo intiate contact.

clenz
December 7th, 2013, 11:44 PM
The loophole stipulates that if the recruit contacts bohl at Wyoming, he can recruit them... I am sure they will all do that. Bohl is only barred from intiating contact, or having anyone associated with Wyo intiate contact.

By the time the presser introducing him is completed he will have a voicemail from almost every recruit

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

IBleedYellow
December 8th, 2013, 12:06 AM
How could you ban anyone from their recruits? Haha, that's just a stupid rule anyway that you can't enforce.

Bisonwinagn
December 8th, 2013, 12:10 AM
How could you ban anyone from their recruits? Haha, that's just a stupid rule anyway that you can't enforce.

Actually it's easy. The Gov't has a transcript of every call ever made so we could just get the list.

Bisonoline
December 8th, 2013, 12:12 AM
All indications are that NDSU's fantastic head coach Craig Bohl has accepted a coaching job at FBS Wyoming with an announcement expected tomorrow. Assuming Bohl leaves right away, what does this do to NDSU's chances of 3-peating? This is certainly horrid timing and a major distraction to say the least. NDSU certainly has the talent to win it all but will this play into the overall mindset of the team and coaching staff?

All depends if he guts the team and takes the assistants with him. The assistants actually do the coaching. Bohl did very lille of that. He took on the roll of managing the game like a ceo. Technically the team is the same. Emotionally?? We will see what the comes out of the players meeting and the direction it takes.

Bisonoline
December 8th, 2013, 12:13 AM

Bohl will not finish out the season.

Twentysix
December 8th, 2013, 12:14 AM
All depends if he guts the team and takes the assistants with him. The assistants actually do the coaching. Bohl did very lille of that. He took on the roll of managing the game like a ceo. Technically the team is the same. Emotionally?? We will see what the comes out of the players meeting and the direction it takes.

We will probably know tommorow night.

clenz
December 8th, 2013, 12:39 AM

Yep...time to start downplaying what Bohl actually did

robsnotes4u
December 8th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Bohl cannot contact or accept any recruits that he has contacted at NDSU, as stipulated by his contract. He has a 1 year recruiting ban.

I am not a lawyer, but from what I have heard that non-compete clauses are vague in ND. Looking at these two pieces, since he is not in the same city, county or state I question if he can contact them or not. Again I am not a lawyer, but have been around a situation in ND that the non compete was not worth the paper it was written on. Different business and situation so I don't know if it falls under the same guidelines.

North Dakota
A contract that restrains someone from exercising a lawful profession, trade, or business is void except:
1. a seller of a business' goodwill can agree to refrain from carrying on a similar business in specified county, city, or part of one of them if the buyer carries on a like business in that area, and
2. partners dissolving a partnership can agree that one or more of them will not carry on a similar business within the city (or a part of it) where the partnership transacted business (N.D. Code § 9-08-06).

youwouldno
December 8th, 2013, 01:18 AM
They have 3 games left, which weren't going to be easy to start with. The players will still have the same desire to win, but coaches are important for a reason. Bohl is gone and how can the assistants be fully effective if the players know they are likely headed for the exit as well?

At home, they are still clear favorites, but the odds of an upset have increased. And if EIU keeps rolling I'd like their chances in Frisco.

BEAR
December 8th, 2013, 01:18 AM
Only NDSU can beat NDSU now... And this news doesn't help.

It's theirs to lose. Coach never ran or passed for 1 yard. We'll see next week if his coaching was a determining factor.

Twentysix
December 8th, 2013, 01:20 AM
I am not a lawyer, but from what I have heard that non-compete clauses are vague in ND. Looking at these two pieces, since he is not in the same city, county or state I question if he can contact them or not. Again I am not a lawyer, but have been around a situation in ND that the non compete was not worth the paper it was written on. Different business and situation so I don't know if it falls under the same guidelines.

North Dakota
A contract that restrains someone from exercising a lawful profession, trade, or business is void except:
1. a seller of a business' goodwill can agree to refrain from carrying on a similar business in specified county, city, or part of one of them if the buyer carries on a like business in that area, and
2. partners dissolving a partnership can agree that one or more of them will not carry on a similar business within the city (or a part of it) where the partnership transacted business (N.D. Code § 9-08-06).

Because it would be an inter-state case, it would likely only be subject to federal law. It is irrelivant anyway, the contract has a simple loophole written into it.

robsnotes4u
December 8th, 2013, 01:23 AM
i hope the players don't go out partying and do something that gets them in trouble.

- - - Updated - - -

Because it would be an inter-state case, it would likely only be subject to federal law. It is irrelivant anyway, the contract has a simple loophole written into it.

Saw your post after I posted. Thanks

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2013, 01:25 AM
The crowd will have a nervous energy to it, much like today. The difference though will be 19,000 will rise to support these young men as they take the field for OUR school. I guarantee that the FargoDome will be much louder next week than it has been all season long.
Agreed, I think this will amp up our crowd even more because we all need something to rally around right now and what better than a fantastic team of football players committed to NDSU. This isn't meant as a slight towards Coach Bohl but there's something to be said for finishing what you start and I'm pretty sure this team, the seniors especially, are prepared to do that regardless who's on the sidelines. There will be a level of uncertainty without the head man there but if all the assistants are staying on, as seems to be the case, I think this team can rally around each other.

MTfan4life
December 8th, 2013, 01:32 AM
Yeah, I don't see NDSU losing regardless of what happens with their staff. The experience, talent level, and depth they have is incredible and unmatchable. A team could sneak a game away from them like Northern Iowa almost did, but I don't see it happening. There wouldn't be a way that I would see them as anything less than a favorite unless if Jensen gets hurt. That's coming from a completely non Ndsu-biased opinion.

caribbeanhen
December 8th, 2013, 08:04 AM

Why would anyone leave Fargo for Troutriver, Wyoming? Fargo much lesser of the evils

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Why would anyone leave Fargo for Troutriver, Wyoming? Fargo much lesser of the evils

Let me go out on a limb......money?

theasushow
December 8th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Still NDSU's to lose.

Bisonoline
December 8th, 2013, 11:23 PM

???????????????????????

344Johnson
December 8th, 2013, 11:42 PM

I have been told(IDK if true or not...I'm not on the team) that he treats the program like he is a CEO. Lets his coaches coach.

Bisonoline
December 9th, 2013, 12:01 AM
I have been told(IDK if true or not...I'm not on the team) that he treats the program like he is a CEO. Lets his coaches coach.

Yes that is true. Bohl has said that many times at TM. The only actual coaching he does sometimes is in regards to special teams. He said he lets his coaches do the coaching.. If you have ever watched a lot of the practices you would know its true.

BisonFan02
December 9th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Yes that is true. Bohl has said that many times at TM. The only actual coaching he does sometimes is in regards to special teams. He said he lets his coaches do the coaching.. If you have ever watched a lot of the practices you would know its true.

This. The biggest thing with Bohl was his knack for surrounding himself with good coordinators and assistant coaches. He had a great eye for talent when it comes to coaching and building the program. That will be the biggest thing NDSU will miss potentially.

DJKyR0
December 9th, 2013, 12:12 AM
More the favorite than ever, if you ask me.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 9th, 2013, 06:33 AM
This. The biggest thing with Bohl was his knack for surrounding himself with good coordinators and assistant coaches. He had a great eye for talent when it comes to coaching and building the program. That will be the biggest thing NDSU will miss potentially.

A lot of coaches have an 'eye' for coaching talent. I have to believe GT will get the best candidate possible. I'm just hoping that he gets someone that keeps our style of play: smash mouth offense and tough as nails defense. If he brings in some one that runs the spread type ****, I'll be disappointed. The 'power west-coast offense' suits our geography area for recruiting.

Nickels
December 9th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Don't know if they are THE favorite but they sure as hell are my favorite now that Sammy is out.

GO BIZON!

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Don't know if they are THE favorite but they sure as hell are my favorite now that Sammy is out.

GO BIZON!

Holy ****. We agree on something!

Nickels
December 9th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Holy ****. We agree on something!
We're going to agree on a lot until the 2nd week of January. You southern Canadians better not blow the 3 peat. Honestly though, I think the coaching drama will light a fire under the team's ass and they really dont need it. I see you guys tearing it up all the way through Frisco.

So you agree the Bison are your favorite too now that SHSU is out? So your basically saying you're a bigger SHSU than Bison fan? :D I KNEW IT!

Texas
December 9th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Pretty much.

Eat'em up Bison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Damn. I'm beginning to like you Sammy guys.

IBleedYellow
December 9th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Pretty much.

Eat'em up Bison.

Whaa...whaaaattt??!

Or do you guys just have Frisco tickets you want to sell to us at inflated prices? xlolx

Bisonator
December 9th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Whaa...whaaaattt??!

Or do you guys just have Frisco tickets you want to sell to us at inflated prices? xlolx

Gotta be....:D

Texas
December 9th, 2013, 12:34 PM
To be fair I cheered for you guys against KSU. I got into that game.

centennial
December 9th, 2013, 12:37 PM

Texas just hates the Big Sky.. he is usually cool with NDSU even though we were responsible for them not winning NC.

Texas
December 9th, 2013, 12:41 PM
I hate everyone equally.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2013, 12:42 PM

You did? Wish I'd known. I actually want to meet a couple of you face to face. We might actually like each other.

centennial
December 9th, 2013, 12:44 PM
I hate everyone equally.

Equal opportunity hater. I like that. Were you at the NC game in January?

citdog
December 9th, 2013, 12:45 PM
You did? Wish I'd known. I actually want to meet a couple of you face to face. We might actually like each other.

cops?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2013, 12:50 PM
cops?

You'd be surprised. I'm a pretty affable chap.

Texas
December 9th, 2013, 12:57 PM

Not at the game it's self but was into that game so much I was fairly loud about it. Thank god I was watching it at home and not out in public.

Made both Frisco trips, I haven't met with any forum goers but my experience with NDSU fans were good.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Not at the game it's self but was into that game so much I was fairly loud about it. Thank god I was watching it at home and not out in public.

Made both Frisco trips, I haven't met with any forum goers but my experience with NDSU fans were good.

****, I thought literally got INTO the game, as in through the gate. You kids and your slang!

I almost melted that day. I'm not used to that kind of heat.

underdawg
December 9th, 2013, 01:09 PM

That's very interesting. Quite the same style as Lennon. In fact that style irritates some Saluki fans who want Lennon talking and instructing every phase of the game--even during games he lets his assistants gather players of whatever team (Offense, Defense, kick-off etc) and talk to them--Lennon stands outside the huddle and does not say a word, but listens--is that style common to the Dakota coaches?

BisonFan02
December 9th, 2013, 02:22 PM
That's very interesting. Quite the same style as Lennon. In fact that style irritates some Saluki fans who want Lennon talking and instructing every phase of the game--even during games he lets his assistants gather players of whatever team (Offense, Defense, kick-off etc) and talk to them--Lennon stands outside the huddle and does not say a word, but listens--is that style common to the Dakota coaches?

Yes and no. In the case of Bohl versus Lennon, it would be more of a coincidence than a common theme. The Bison do typically (in their history based on my vantage point) have their coordinators and assistants a lot more involved/authoritative than other programs. Head coach involvement, on the other hand, has depended on the guy's personality. Hager, Bohl, Morton, Mudra....list goes on and on, but each handled themselves differently for the most part.

Tribe93
December 9th, 2013, 06:42 PM
NDSU is still the favorite but EIU could score enough to keep it interesting.

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Mvc vastly overrated, in fact I would compare the conference to Paul McCartney and Wings. Guess who Paul is and who in the heck were Wings without him

clawman
December 10th, 2013, 05:38 PM
IMO, they aren't invincible, but they have the talent, depth, and discipline to win, and even with the turmoil of such a dramatic change, they will still be the team to beat. Heck, Bohl will probably use this to somehow motivate his team even more.

Sent from my SPH-M830 using Tapatalk
You mean the "OK guys play hard for me because I'm leaving" speech

centennial
December 10th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Mvfc vastly overrated, in fact I would compare the conference to Paul McCartney and Wings. Guess who Paul is and who in the heck were Wings without him
Good smack. Don't agree, there is a reason why the conference is rated above a couple of FBS.

GreatAppSt
December 10th, 2013, 07:10 PM
NDSU is still my favorite, EIU a close second.

IBleedYellow
December 10th, 2013, 07:11 PM
NDSU is still my favorite, EIU a close second.

If EIU loses their HC to Eastern Michigan will they drop further?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2013, 07:31 PM
If EIU loses their HC to Eastern Michigan will they drop further?

Oh man, E Michigan is a joke of a FBS program.

Don't they average something like only 5K fans?

marenlee
December 10th, 2013, 07:55 PM
I know everyone was crapping on Wyoming. But Eastern Michigan is on a whole different planet when it comes to craptastic.

centennial
December 10th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Oh man, E Michigan is a joke of a FBS program.

Don't they average something like only 5K fans?
Wyoming is only 1 step above Eastern Michigan. We are still talking about tripling the dudes salary. I remember someone saying it was 160ish..

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Wyoming is only 1 step above Eastern Michigan. We are still talking about tripling the dudes salary. I remember someone saying it was 160ish..

Wyoming is definitely above Eastern.

E Michigan averaged 3,923 fans in 12 and 4,267 in 11.

caribbeanhen
December 11th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Good smack. Don't agree, there is a reason why the conference is rated above a couple of FBS.

the question is how good is the overall rating without North Dakota State?