PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Illinois...

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 7th, 2013, 05:55 PM
might be the best football team the OVC has had since the DI split. They have beaten every conference opponent by at least 20 points. They have a 21-point win over a top Mountain West team. Their only loss is a close one to Northern Illinois. I don't even think if any of the Roy Kidd EKU teams might could compete with them.

EIU is playing the role Florida State is playing in the FBS this year....a team with an awesome quarterback blowing out every opponent in their conference that isn't overly great but had enough teams with good records to get to play postseason.

Hold off on mailing the trophy to Fargo for now. I'm keeping an eye on these guys.

JayJ79
December 7th, 2013, 06:07 PM
yet it took them 2 OTs to beat a Southern Illinois team by a FG.
A team that NDSU beat by 21 (with both games being in Carbondale)

Bisonator
December 7th, 2013, 06:14 PM
I will admit they have a very good team. A legit championship threat but let's see what happens in Frisco before we send the trophy anywhere. That's what's great about the FCS, it's settled on the field! xnodx

MTfan4life
December 7th, 2013, 06:21 PM

Teams have bad games, sir. You don't judge NDSU's season on their unimpressive performance against Missouri State. Why would you judge EIU's on their win over SIU?

IBleedYellow
December 7th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Lots of football left to play.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 7th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Lots of football left to play.

Correct...I'm not penciling anyone in yet. Not even for the semis.

bojeta
December 7th, 2013, 07:11 PM
I really like the Bison, but I think Eastern Illinois is going take the title this year. Everyone thought the huge win over San Diego State was no big deal early on, but San Diego State turned out to be a decent FBS team. Same goes for Kansas State. I believe we'll see a hell of a game if it winds up being NDSU and Eastern Illinois in the final.

skinny_uncle
December 7th, 2013, 07:21 PM

EIU had to deal with SIU with their top QB (Kory Faulkner) the whole game. The Bison only had to deal with him for half a game. SIU was leading the Bison 10-7 when Faulkner broke the index finger on his throwing hand. It's not real fair to compare those games.

eiupantherfan94
December 7th, 2013, 09:15 PM
It was also an in-state rivalry game on the road between two good teams, which tend to be close. SIU I think is playoff caliber team with Faulkner, but they just had some close losses. However, EIU also shot themselves in the foot several times that game yet still managed to win

bonarae
December 7th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Hmm, with Bohl leaving for the FBS the Panthers might be one of the Frisco teams... but NDSU may still give EIU a fight even without their head coach. xpopcornx

Big_Fan
December 8th, 2013, 01:03 AM
One other thing about EIU... it isn't just the passing game. They shredded the #9 ranked TSU run defense for over 300 yards. TSU stonewalled the JSU run game and EIU totally obliterated them. JSU has improved a lot...but still... TSU was ranked 4th in total defense, giving up just 277 yards per game and just 15.5 points. EIU doubled up the yardage and hung 51 on them.

That is impressive.

Squealofthepig
December 8th, 2013, 03:20 AM
Hmm, with Bohl leaving for the FBS the Panthers might be one of the Frisco teams...

How does Bohl, on the complete other side of the bracket, affect EIU one way or the other? (Bohl/NDSU can't see EIU until Frisco no matter what is my point)

DoubleH
December 9th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Let's hold off a bit on anointing EIU just yet, I think they still have a game on Friday. xrolleyesx

I know they can score, but how good is EIU's defense?

PanthersBlue
December 9th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Let's hold off a bit on anointing EIU just yet, I think they still have a game on Friday. xrolleyesx

The defense is very underrated. As a unit they are averaging three takeaways a game. They fly under the radar and I think that's where they like to be.

Bison56
December 9th, 2013, 02:39 PM
The defense is very underrated. As a unit they are averaging three takeaways a game. They fly under the radar and I think that's where they like to be.

Could that be because they are way up and the other team is taking more chances trying to get scores quick? Not a jab just a question.

IBleedYellow
December 9th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Towson is going to roll them. Can't wait.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Towson is going to roll them. Can't wait.

I'll be completely shocked if that happens. Towson really didn't "roll" anyone the last 2/3 of the season. Meanwhile, EIU has been ridiculously good! The Panthers are definitely the favorites. Towson's rushing attack is very impressive. However, they still do a lot of dumb things. They take on the personality of Ambrose, aggressive/brash, sometimes overly so.

I think Towson has the talent to beat EIU. Still, EIU is the better overall team imo.

PanthersBlue
December 9th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Could that be because they are way up and the other team is taking more chances trying to get scores quick? Not a jab just a question.

Majority have come in the first half of games. Most of the points and long drives have been given up in the fourth quarter of most of their games when the second team offense/defense has been in. This defense is good, not the best but very good.

They have come come a long way in the past 16-18 months.

Lehigh'98
December 9th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Towson will give them all they can handle. Not sure if EIU has an answer for West. I'm also not sure Towson has an answer for Grappolo. Expecting a total near or over 90 in this one.

eiupantherfan94
December 9th, 2013, 07:06 PM
JSU has a good running back in James and a great running game in general, yet Eastern held the Gamecocks to 155 yards rushing and only 14 points. West may be a good running back, but this defense has the speed and athleticism to contain almost anyone. Besides, Towson's running attack will be almost useless if Eastern can jump out to a large lead once again.

LoneStar
December 9th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Serious question, would you rather have a dominant running attack that controls T.O.P or a hurry up passing dominated offense in inclement weather? Towson has an attack that is built to play in harsh environments, I would think the advantage would shift to Towson if you have any significant wind, snow or sleet.

colonelblitz
December 9th, 2013, 07:29 PM

I know they can score, but how good is EIU's defense? Very good... trust me. Be prepared, or their D will beat you..

colonelblitz
December 9th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Serious question, would you rather have a dominant running attack that controls T.O.P or a hurry up passing dominated offense in inclement weather? Towson has an attack that is built to play in harsh environments, I would think the advantage would shift to Towson if you have any significant wind, snow or sleet. It's panhandle type country... does that help..:)

Sycamore62
December 9th, 2013, 07:44 PM
I think their D is the difference between this year and last

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2013, 07:50 PM
I think their D is the difference between this year and last

That has yet to be tested in a meaningful way.

They are giving up twice as many points to non-conference opponents than OVC opponents

OOC 29.75 ppg

OVC 16.3 ppg

Sycamore62
December 9th, 2013, 08:09 PM

They are giving up twice as many points to non-conference opponents than OVC opponents

OOC 29.75 ppg

OVC 16.3 ppg

Dont get me wrong. I'm not saying they have been tested but last year they were winning by small margins and big scores. I'm just saying that now they aren't giving up video game scores.

Big_Fan
December 9th, 2013, 10:36 PM

OOC 29.75 ppg

OVC 16.3 ppg

They gave up 37 to SIU in a rival game the week after blowing out San Diego State 40-19... the same San Diego Sate team that beat Boise, Air Force, Nevada, and lost to Fresno State in OT... a letdown is not surprising. They gave up 43 to NIU in a come from behind loss... you know, NIU - 12-1 and their QB is going to NYC for the Heisman presentation? They gave up 24 to Ill State but were up 44-10 at the half.

If the weather is bad it might slow them down... it could be 35-10 at halftime. They.are.that.good.

I would say playing NIU and SDSU is a pretty good test. They lost to NIU, but NIU is very good - significantly better than Townson.

SIUSalukiFan
December 9th, 2013, 10:45 PM

OOC 29.75 ppg

OVC 16.3 ppg

You do realize three of EIU's four non-conference games were against San Diego State, Southern Illinois and Northern Illinois, right?

Vitojr130
December 10th, 2013, 12:26 AM
They gave up 37 to SIU in a rival game the week after blowing out San Diego State 40-19... the same San Diego Sate team that beat Boise, Air Force, Nevada, and lost to Fresno State in OT... a letdown is not surprising. They gave up 43 to UNI in a come from behind loss... you know, UNI - 12-1 and their QB is going to NYC for the Heisman presentation? They gave up 24 to Ill State but were up 44-10 at the half.

If the weather is bad it might slow them down... it could be 35-10 at halftime. They.are.that.good.

I would say playing UNI and SDSU is a pretty good test. They lost to UNI, but UNI is very good - significantly better than Townson.

Not sure if troll

Big_Fan
December 10th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Not sure if troll

NIU... Dyslexia :P I edited it now.

robsnotes4u
December 10th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Serious question, would you rather have a dominant running attack that controls T.O.P or a hurry up passing dominated offense in inclement weather? Towson has an attack that is built to play in harsh environments, I would think the advantage would shift to Towson if you have any significant wind, snow or sleet.

Neither is perfect in that situation. I would take a EIU where they can do both. Pretty easy to just stack the box if all you can do is run. The inclement weather gives an advantage to a receiver over a defender.

It is not how long you have the ball, it is what you do with it. TOP for a game is a useless stat. It only comes into play at two times, at the end of the half and end of the game. The only two times you can control whether or not the opposing team will get the ball.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2013, 08:20 AM
You do realize three of EIU's four non-conference games were against San Diego State, Southern Illinois and Northern Illinois, right?

So it doesn't have anything to do with their weak conference schedule?

Bisonator
December 10th, 2013, 08:30 AM
TOP for a game is a useless stat. It only comes into play at two times, at the end of the half and end of the game. The only two times you can control whether or not the opposing team will get the ball.

Pretty sure every opponent we play will disagree with you. xlolx

TOP is huge when your defense has been getting pounded for 35-40 minutes! You better be deep and conditioned.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Pretty sure every opponent we play will disagree with you. xlolx

TOP is huge when your defense has been getting pounded for 35-40 minutes! You better be deep and conditioned.

It's no coincidence that the Bison RB's go from 3-4 ypc to 8-10 in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

Cocky
December 10th, 2013, 10:52 AM
OOC record would suggest the OVC wasn't real weak this year. And yes I understand history.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2013, 10:54 AM
OOC record would suggest the OVC wasn't real weak this year. And yes I understand history.

This weekend will tell a lot, thank goodness.

Cocky
December 10th, 2013, 10:57 AM
This weekend will tell a lot, thank goodness.

This season has already shown the OVC is moving in a positive direction.

SIUSalukiFan
December 10th, 2013, 11:05 AM

xlolx

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2013, 11:13 AM
I think lost in the fact of NDSU's consistent high ranking in the overall Sagarin rankings is that EIU has now moved up to 26 themselves (NDSU is at 23 - http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2013/team/). This has the potential to be one of the best FCS final matchups in a while if both teams can make it through.

robsnotes4u
December 10th, 2013, 11:17 AM
I think lost in the fact of NDSU's consistent high ranking in the overall Sagarin rankings is that EIU has now moved up to 26 themselves (NDSU is at 23 - http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2013/team/). This has the potential to be one of the best FCS final matchups in a while if both teams can make it through.

Yes it would be a great game for the teams, fans, and the FCS.

DoubleH
December 10th, 2013, 12:50 PM

I would say playing NIU and SDSU is a pretty good test. They lost to NIU, but NIU is very good - significantly better than Townson.

Love this kind of talk. Can't wait till Friday!

SIUSalukiFan
December 10th, 2013, 01:15 PM

Maybe Dino Babers can help add to the drama by accepting the Wake Forest job Friday night.

FargoBison
December 10th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Maybe Dino Babers can help add to the drama by accepting the Wake Forest job Friday night.

Well he is the favorite for the Eastern Michigan opening...

SIUSalukiFan
December 10th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Well he is the favorite for the Eastern Michigan opening...

Really? He would be an incredible get. It's hard to win in Ypsilanti.

Sycamore62
December 10th, 2013, 01:26 PM
From FootballScoop.com
Eastern Michigan: Louisville running backs coach / special teams coordinator Kenny Carter has interviewed for the Eastern Michigan job. Eastern Illinois head coach Dino Babers has also interviewed and is considered by some we speak with to be the favorite for the job. Expect a decision this week.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 10th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Really? He would be an incredible get. It's hard to win in Ypsilanti.

EMU's last winning season was in 1995. This might be the toughest job in the country. NMSU is the only one that comes close imo.

Bisonator
December 10th, 2013, 01:31 PM
That would be something if both EIU and NDSU get to Frisco with exiting coaching staffs. ESPN may explode with the coaching change talk. xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 10th, 2013, 01:32 PM
From FootballScoop.com
Eastern Michigan: Louisville running backs coach / special teams coordinator Kenny Carter has interviewed for the Eastern Michigan job. Eastern Illinois head coach Dino Babers has also interviewed and is considered by some we speak with to be the favorite for the job. Expect a decision this week.

It's amazing what the real value of FCS coaches is. EIU has been a solid, steady program who's having a tremendous year. I would see a OC position at a BCS program as a step-up compared to EMU.

Things like this strengthen my belief in Bohl's decision to go to Wyoming. There's proven history of some success there. That and confidence is huge....

SIUSalukiFan
December 10th, 2013, 01:36 PM
EMU's last winning season was in 1995. This might be the toughest job in the country. NMSU is the only one that comes close imo.

I went to a Southern Illinois/Eastern Michigan game in Jerry Kill's first or second year at SIU (before we were good) and Eastern Michigan needed three overtimes to beat us.

With the proximity to a lot of good prep players you would think somebody could have a bit of success there.

Sycamore62
December 10th, 2013, 01:41 PM
It's amazing what the real value of FCS coaches is. EIU has been a solid, steady program who's having a tremendous year. I would see a OC position at BCS conference program as a step-up compared to EMU.

Things like this strengthen my belief in Bohl's decision to go to Wyoming. There's proven history of some success. That and confidence is huge....

And his star players are guys he recruited. No disrespect to Babers. I would think that if we were 4 years down the road and he was still this successful, he would be able to go somewhere better. On the other hand, if rumors of Mack Brown stepping down this week are true and if Nick Saban takes that job, the domino effect will be epic and there may be better jobs available.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 13th, 2013, 10:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/tZOS8.gif

DoubleH
December 13th, 2013, 11:26 PM
They gave up 37 to SIU in a rival game the week after blowing out San Diego State 40-19... the same San Diego Sate team that beat Boise, Air Force, Nevada, and lost to Fresno State in OT... a letdown is not surprising. They gave up 43 to NIU in a come from behind loss... you know, NIU - 12-1 and their QB is going to NYC for the Heisman presentation? They gave up 24 to Ill State but were up 44-10 at the half.

Just had to bring this prediction up again, as it was my personal favorite of all the "EIU rolls" predictions - and there were many. Maybe it was the weather? Had to be, because they. Are. That. Good.

I'm not sure how many yards Heisman finalist Jordan Lynch rushed for against them, but I bet T. West had more.

On to the semis!

Bison56
December 13th, 2013, 11:30 PM
http://i.imgur.com/tZOS8.gifI cant stop laughing.

eiupantherfan94
December 13th, 2013, 11:47 PM
I guess I could bring up the argument of how if there was snow EIU would have rolled.
But then West would have rushed for 600 yards and the score just would have been higher. :(

superman7515
December 13th, 2013, 11:54 PM
Congrats EIU on a great season. See you in the Crapsville Bar tomorrow night, more games to watch.

Big_Fan
December 14th, 2013, 02:03 AM
Just had to bring this prediction up again, as it was my personal favorite of all the "EIU rolls" predictions - and there were many. Maybe it was the weather? Had to be, because they. Are. That. Good.

I'm not sure how many yards Heisman finalist Jordan Lynch rushed for against them, but I bet T. West had more.

On to the semis!

Hey, I ate my crow in the other thread... on rye with mayo and hotsauce.

Cograts... I won't make any excuses, EIU isn't my team. I thought they would run away with it and in the first quarter it looked like they would. Townson's OL manhandled the smaller EIU front... and that RB... I think he just stepped on my cat as he ran through the kitchen in Alabama. Could the weather have affected things? As the commentators commented, it might have made blocking easier because the defense has a more difficult time changing direction to pursue... but it doesn't matter - Townson rocked it. Well done.

Twentysix
December 14th, 2013, 02:04 AM
Hey, I ate my crow in the other thread... on rye with mayo and hotsauce.

Cograts... I won't make any excuses, EIU isn't my team. I thought they would run away with it and in the first quarter it looked like they would. Townson's OL manhandled the smaller EIU front... and that RB... I think he just stepped on my cat as he ran through the kitchen in Alabama. Could the weather have affected things? As the commentators commented, it might have made blocking easier because the defense has a more difficult time changing direction to pursue... but it doesn't matter - Townson rocked it. Well done.

Irrelevant, both teams play on the same field.

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2013, 06:08 AM

nice call, I found myself, Mr CAA, getting caught up in the hype

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2013, 06:11 AM
I'll be completely shocked if that happens.

C'mon now, at your age why would anything completely shock you

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2013, 07:08 AM
After seeing how Towson handled them last night, I really wish NDSU would have gotten a crack at them.

Twentysix
December 14th, 2013, 09:04 AM
After seeing how Towson handled them last night, I really wish NDSU would have gotten a crack at them.

Maybe NDSU should buy snow machines for inside the dome. That would really liven up the playoffs lol. Snow everywhere and indoor noise!

NoDak 4 Ever
December 14th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Maybe NDSU should buy snow machines for inside the dome. That would really liven up the playoffs lol. Snow everywhere and indoor noise!

They did an indoor snocross thing there, didn't they? It's possible.

Big_Fan
December 14th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Irrelevant, both teams play on the same field.

Reading comprehension problems?