PDA

View Full Version : SU Board Member Wants Grambling Kicked Out of Bayou Classic

superman7515
December 5th, 2013, 01:05 PM
http://www.dailyworld.com/viewart/DI/20131204/SPORTS/312040014/Southern-supervisor-Go-away-Grambling

Both schools rely on the weeks’ worth of events as a recruiting showcase to attract students from around the country. And every year, after the Bayou Classic parade through downtown New Orleans is over and the marching bands have faced off, both schools count on a major revenue boost when the two teams meet in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in front of a national television audience.
But this year’s announced attendance of 47,000 fans is down significantly from the record 76,641 who showed up in 1994, or the average of roughly 70,000 who attended each of the games between 2000 and 2004.

“For the last several years, Southern has been doing 90 percent of the work and producing 70 to 80 percent of the fans, and we’re having to split the proceeds,” Clayton said. “It doesn’t make sense.”

Clayton said he would like to see Southern study whether it would make financial sense to bring in schools such as Florida A&M University, Jackson State University or South Carolina State University, which he said has fans who are more than willing to travel to faraway games.

melloware13
December 5th, 2013, 01:14 PM
I'd figure that the MEAC schools would be more reluctant because of possible interferences with playoffs.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 01:17 PM
I'd figure that the MEAC schools would be more reluctant because of possible interferences with playoffs.

Yeah, I think this is a purely SWAC affair. No way a team eligible for the playoffs like SCSU with a chance to go would schedule a game during.

BEAR
December 5th, 2013, 01:26 PM
How do they think teams like Alabama, Auburn, and Florida feel about teams like Arkansas being in the SEC and getting all that shared bowl revenue when the pigs have been in the conference for 20 years and only accomplished anything 2 times??!! Hey, you wanted them in the conference...suck it up! Brotherhood! Yeah!

FormerPokeCenter
December 5th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Here's the thing....The Bayou Classic was a Grambling concept....Collie Nicholson, the Sports Information Director at Grambling, conceived of it, approached Eddie Robinson, got his okay and then they made the pitch to Southern...

If that matchup ceases, then it's Southern who needs to GTFO, not Grambling...

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Here's the thing....The Bayou Classic was a Grambling concept....Collie Nicholson, the Sports Information Director at Grambling, conceived of it, approached Eddie Robinson, got his okay and then they made the pitch to Southern...

This seems little more to me than piling on Grambling while it's down. I hope it's just one person making this hay.

Demwai
December 5th, 2013, 01:59 PM
This seems little more to me than piling on Grambling while it's down. I hope it's just one person making this hay.

I actually think Clayton is trying to bring up the money split between the schools. Every year Southern is responsible for almost 70% of the attendance, so I'm thinking he believes SU should get a bigger split of the gate.

GAD
December 5th, 2013, 02:24 PM
I actually think Clayton is trying to bring up the money split between the schools. Every year Southern is responsible for almost 70% of the attendance, so I'm thinking he believes SU should get a bigger split of the gate.
Grambling brings a nationally recognized name so it balances out
The G-MEN aint going no where

Scooter
December 5th, 2013, 03:13 PM
I think that the gate should be split three ways 1/4 southern, 1/4 Grambling and 1/2 back to the fans. This is bad football. Not bad for football, just painful to watch.

Every year it is the same recipe... start with two ****ty teams... throw them into the pan... sprinkle in some tradition pieces and let simmer... throw it on a plate and serve it to the audience. A plate of crap is still a plate of crap no matter how it is seasoned. Get better so we aren't starting with crap as the main ingredient then you may have something. I know it didn't start out crappy... but it is now.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Grambling brings a nationally recognized name so it balances out
The G-MEN aint going no where

I really wonder if this got farther than the one Supervisor with an obvious chip in his shoulder. It would be absurd to replace Grambling with some random MEAC team even if they were willing.

FormerPokeCenter
December 5th, 2013, 05:11 PM
I think that the gate should be split three ways 1/4 southern, 1/4 Grambling and 1/2 back to the fans. This is bad football. Not bad for football, just painful to watch.

Every year it is the same recipe... start with two ****ty teams... throw them into the pan... sprinkle in some tradition pieces and let simmer... throw it on a plate and serve it to the audience. A plate of crap is still a plate of crap no matter how it is seasoned. Get better so we aren't starting with crap as the main ingredient then you may have something. I know it didn't start out crappy... but it is now.

To really get a feel for the Bayou Classic, you need to see it in person....The TV coverage doesn't do it justice...it's equal part fashion show, beauty contest, band contest, socializing and just about everything else you can imagine...oh yeah, and they have a football game that day, too!

I've covered it a couple of times and it's an absolute BLAST to attend...

One year, I got to watch the half-time show from the stadium floor...right at the 50 yard line!

It was pretty awesome...

Scooter
December 5th, 2013, 05:31 PM
To really get a feel for the Bayou Classic, you need to see it in person....The TV coverage doesn't do it justice...it's equal part fashion show, beauty contest, band contest, socializing and just about everything else you can imagine...oh yeah, and they have a football game that day, too!

I've covered it a couple of times and it's an absolute BLAST to attend...

One year, I got to watch the half-time show from the stadium floor...right at the 50 yard line!

It was pretty awesome...

I have to agree that the best part of that game is halftime. The game...not so mutch. You are talking about the spices that are thrown in, but at this point in time the actual game isn't worth covering. Two bad teams playing bad football, cover another game and then show highlights of the half time bands is all I'm saying. Seriously, I will say that this aspect of the Bayou classic is better than the school that I watch... band gives you an excellent excuse to get out of your seat and find anything...anything else to do. Love the Gold Star Marching Band efforts but they are maybe just above average at best.

GAD
December 5th, 2013, 07:01 PM
I really wonder if this got farther than the one Supervisor with an obvious chip in his shoulder. It would be absurd to replace Grambling with some random MEAC team even if they were willing.
I don't think it would work with any other school give Grambling a few years to get back on there feet crowds will return

JayJ79
December 5th, 2013, 07:57 PM

superman7515
December 5th, 2013, 08:50 PM

I'm not sure, but just to be clear, yes he is a Supervisor on the SU Board, but he is also the single largest donor to Southern.

sharkeycox
December 5th, 2013, 09:39 PM
I don't think it would work with any other school give Grambling a few years to get back on there feet crowds will return

You are right. Grambling just hired a coach from the McNeese staff. He is a Grambling alum and played for Coach Robinson. Coach Fobbs will bring a good attitude and will put good people around him. I wish him well, because Southern, Louisiana and the FCS division in general is better off with a good program at Grambling.

813Jag
December 6th, 2013, 08:04 AM

Tony Clayton is an idiot that in no way represents any of the Southern alumni. That fool was behind the push for Southern to move their home games against Jackson St to Jackson.

Cocky
December 6th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Just rattling a cage
hopefully the Grambling family will band together to get back to the glory days.

813Jag
December 6th, 2013, 08:08 AM
If Southern was to play anybody but Grambling in New Orleans the turnout wouldn't be good. All you have to do is look at when Southern played JSU in New Orleans. It wouldn't feel right anyway. I'd just as soon do away with the Classic if we couldn't play Grambling.

walliver
December 6th, 2013, 01:24 PM
If they replace Grambling, this game becomes just another "classic" and probably loses its NBC contract.

Thanks to Eddie Robinson, the Grambling name has national recognition, none of the potential replacements has anywhere near that name recognition.

FormerPokeCenter
December 6th, 2013, 01:50 PM
If they replace Grambling, this game becomes just another "classic" and probably loses its NBC contract.

Thanks to Eddie Robinson, the Grambling name has national recognition, none of the potential replacements has anywhere near that name recognition.

Amen...Coach Rob did things the right way and was the driving force behind Grambling reaching icon status....but, he did have some pretty astute help in the form of Collie Nicholson...Collie was the marketing genius taking the Grambling product and working the heck out of the system to build the brand up....he's the guy who got Grambling to play in NYC, Chicago, Japan, etc., came up with the Bayou Classic idea and a host of other things that helped Grambling...

He couldn't have done that, however, with out what Coach Rob did building Grambling's program from scratch...

GAD
December 6th, 2013, 02:23 PM

Exactly why I said it balances out Southern brings fans Grambling brings a name