PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I've re-aligned the entire division

aztecjim
October 12th, 2006, 05:07 PM
With all the talk of the Big Sky doing this or the gateway doing that or what is WKU doing I thought I'd take a stab at re-aligning the entire division. Tell me what you think:

Great West-Portland St,E Washington,UC-Davis,Cal Poly,CSU-Sacramento,N Arizona,and San Diego(scholarship football or not they probably could still compete)
Big Sky-Montana,Montana St,Idaho St,S Utah,Weber St,N Colorado,NDSU,SDSU(and eventually UND with ISU going to the GWC)
Pioneer-Butler,Dayton,Drake,Duquesne,Robert Morris,St. Francis(PA),Valpo,Morehead St.
Southland-McNeese St,Nicholls St,NW St,SHSU,SE Louisiana,Texas St.SF Austin,and C Arkansas
SWAC-Alcorn St,Grambling St,Jackson St,MVSU,PVA&M,Southern,Texas Southern
MEAC-Delaware St,Hampon,Howard,Morgan St,Norfolk St,NCA&T,NCCU,W-SSU
South Coast-AA&MU,Alabama St,B-CCU,FA&MU,Savannah St,SCSU,Tennessee St,UA-Pine Bluff(could go back to SWAC)
Patriot-Bucknell,Colgate,Fordham,Georgetown,Holy Cross,LaSalle,Lafayette,Lehigh
Northeast-CCSU,Iona,Marist,Monmouth,Sacred Heart,St. Peter,Albany,Stony Brook,Wagner
Ivy-same
Missouri Valley-E Illinois,W Illinois,S Illinois,Illinois St,Indiana St,N Iowa,Missouri St,SE Missouri St,Youngstown St
Big South-Charleston Southern,C Carolina,Elon,Gardner-Webb,Jacksonville,Liberty,VMI,Wofford,Presbyterian
Yankee-Maine,UNH,URI,Massachusetts,Delaware,Northeastern, Hofstra,Villanova
Central Atlantic-Richmond,W&M,James Madison,Towson,Appalachian St,Davidson,ODU
Southern-Furman,Ga Southern,The Citadel,UT-Chattanooga,W Carolina,UT-Martin,Campbell
Tennessee Valley-APSU,EKU,Jacksonville St,Murray St,Samford,Tennessee Tech,WKU

CollegeSportsInfo
October 12th, 2006, 05:12 PM
ug

bostonspider
October 12th, 2006, 05:13 PM
I dunno, I am pretty happy with the A10 South as a whole right now, with UR, W&M, JMU, UD, Towson and Nova. Add ODU, Furman and ASU, and I think you might have a perfect 9 team conference with 4 home, 4 away and 3 non conference....

Pauly LB
October 12th, 2006, 05:13 PM
This will NOT work -- it makes too much sense !!!

CollegeSportsInfo
October 12th, 2006, 05:14 PM
You should preface this post with words like "hypothetical" and sentences like "While I know there is no way this many schools would actually ever consider moving around all their sports, etc, here is a lineup I'd like to see". If that were the case, these lineups wouldn't be that bad.

GaSouthern
October 12th, 2006, 05:32 PM
NO WAY! SoCon will never loose appalacian to another I-AA conference, maybe I-A though.
:)

BearsCountry
October 12th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Adding EIU and SEMO would want me to move up to I-A quicker than anything.

No_Skill
October 12th, 2006, 05:52 PM
The Big Sky doesn't want us, remember. Pencil us in for the Gateway. :thumbsup:

October 12th, 2006, 06:11 PM
... re-aligning the entire division...Thanks, I'll get everybody moving on it right away.

TexasTerror
October 12th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Who is this SW Texas St you speak of? You mean Texas State University - San Marcos?

PantherRob82
October 12th, 2006, 06:23 PM
We don't want Eastern or SeMo. I'd take Drake playing scholly though.

Too many different arguements.

TexasTerror
October 12th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Ideal SLC is a two-divisional format:

West - SFA, SHSU, A&M-CC, Texas State-San Marcos, UTSA and UT-Arlington
East - Lamar, McNeese, Northwestern St, Southeastern LA, Nicholls St and Central Arkansas

Hopefully having Lamar in the east will show the impact of them having football did not hinder the McNeese program as they claim them not having football does. Funny, McNeese was a good program when Lamar had football, when both schools were I-A and I-AA...

Would definitely be nice to have A&M-CC, UTSA, UT-Arlington and Lamar adding football, especially if you get eight SLC games out of it and then just three OOCs, avoiding any sort of SWAC-like mandate...

Killtoppers90
October 12th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Southern-Furman,Ga Southern,The Citadel,UT-Chattanooga,W Carolina,UT-Martin,Campbell

What about a larger conference that encompasses both your Southern and TN Valley? Like a north and south divisions like the SEC or Big 12?

EKU05
October 12th, 2006, 08:34 PM
What about a larger conference that encompasses both your Southern and TN Valley? Like a north and south divisions like the SEC or Big 12?

I'm about to agree with a Hilltopper. 7 teams for your Tennessee Valley Conference is a little skimpy.

BearsCountry
October 12th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I'm about to agree with a Hilltopper. 7 teams for your Tennessee Valley Conference is a little skimpy.

You could take EIU and SEMO. We wouldn't want them.

BearsCountry
October 12th, 2006, 08:41 PM
The ideal MVC would be this:
Drake
Illinois State
Indiana State
Missouri State
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Wichita State

Or to have the other schools in the region for our league:
West Division - Drake, Missouri St, North Dakota St, UNI, South Dakota St, Wichita State
East Division - Illinois St, Indiana St, SIU, Youngstown St, Western Illinois, Western Kentucky

PantherRob82
October 12th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Drake
Illinois State
Indiana State
Missouri State
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Wichita State

West Division - Drake, Missouri St, North Dakota St, UNI, South Dakota St, Wichita State
East Division - Illinois St, Indiana St, SIU, Youngstown St, Western Illinois, Western Kentucky

notice no eiu or semo. xsmileyclapx

DFW HOYA
October 12th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Move Richmond, Villanova and VMI to the Patriot.

LeopardFan04
October 12th, 2006, 10:23 PM

Agreed...La Salle can go elsewhere...or just go...given the unfortunate shape of the program...the PL is not in their future...

Interesting thread though...

Mike Johnson
October 12th, 2006, 10:29 PM
With all the talk of the Big Sky doing this or the gateway doing that or what is WKU doing I thought I'd take a stab at re-aligning the entire division. Tell me what you think:

Great West-Portland St,E Washington,UC-Davis,Cal Poly,CSU-Sacramento,N Arizona,and San Diego(scholarship football or not they probably could still compete)
Big Sky-Montana,Montana St,Idaho St,S Utah,Weber St,N Colorado,NDSU,SDSU(and eventually UND with ISU going to the GWC)
Pioneer-Butler,Dayton,Drake,Duquesne,Robert Morris,St. Francis(PA),Valpo,Morehead St.
Southland-McNeese St,Nicholls St,NW St,SHSU,SE Louisiana,Texas St.SF Austin,and C Arkansas
South Coast-AA&MU,Alabama St,B-CCU,FA&MU,Savannah St,SCSU,Tennessee St,UA-Pine Bluff(could go back to SWAC)
Patriot-Bucknell,Colgate,Fordham,Georgetown,Holy Cross,LaSalle,Lafayette,Lehigh
Northeast-CCSU,Iona,Marist,Monmouth,Sacred Heart,St. Peter,Albany,Stony Brook,Wagner
Ivy-same
Missouri Valley-E Illinois,W Illinois,S Illinois,Illinois St,Indiana St,N Iowa,Missouri St,SE Missouri St,Youngstown St
Big South-Charleston Southern,C Carolina,Elon,Gardner-Webb,Jacksonville,Liberty,VMI,Wofford,Presbyterian
Central Atlantic-Richmond,W&M,James Madison,Towson,Appalachian St,Davidson,ODU

This seems based solely on geography and less on traditional rivalries and similar schools.

EKU05
October 12th, 2006, 11:13 PM
You could take EIU and SEMO. We wouldn't want them.

EIU is a good program. SEMO you can keep because despite the program's mediocrity they are that one team that ALWAYS gives EKU a good game regardless of what else has happened.

griz37
October 12th, 2006, 11:18 PM
I like your Big Sky, but no way would we drop NAU & add Southern Utah. NAU is a pretty solid progam in all sports & the Montana schools have good rivalries with them.

Dane96
October 12th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Albany, CCSU, Stony Brook (possibly Monmouth) are not playing football with IONA or St. Peter's.

NOT A CHANCE IN HELL! Nothing in common.

Albany and SBU (and most likely if the cards fall right, CCSU) should be with large state U's...and not 2400 student private schools.

Maroons
October 13th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Interesting... at least calling most of the old OVC schools the Tennessee Valley would make more geographical sense... but if you knew where "Eastern" and "Western" Kentucky Universities were located you'd know that we really don't give a flip out geography. (I'd lobby for Morehead to become Far-East Eastern Kentucky University but I don't want to see a school known as FEKU)

And all you Gateway people... what the hell is with your looking down your noses at EIU? They have a decent history in I-AA and your conference has three (THREE! [3!!!!!]) other Illinois schools (+Ind. State) that would probably benefit from having them there. I mean, besides the fact that "chuck-town" sucks... what is it? Is there attendance pitiful or do you guys just like puffing out your chests cause they're an "OVC" school or does their stadium blow or what?

JALMOND
October 13th, 2006, 02:56 AM
This seems based solely on geography and less on traditional rivalries and similar schools.

And not too good with that either. Big Sky adds North Dakota and Idaho State goes to the Great West? Last I checked, Pocatello was on I-15 connecting Ogden and Cedar City with Bozeman and Missoula.

Obviously a new poster with way too much time on their hands.

Dabnus Brickey
October 13th, 2006, 06:08 AM
There was talk down here at one time of Presbyterian AND SC State possibly joining the Big South. That would help our conference if SC State joined up.

89Hen
October 13th, 2006, 07:49 AM
This will NOT work -- it makes too much sense !!!
Maybe to you, but not to fans of teams who would be split from rivals. : smh :

89Hen
October 13th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Ivy-same
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Why would the Ivy be left alone while other conferences split? Delaware plays all sports with JMU, W&M, Towson and ODU but you split the Hens from them. :nono:

DTSpider
October 13th, 2006, 08:04 AM

Add scholarships and maybe this could happen.

As it is now, why would UR football move to conference without W&M & JMU? If JMU goes 1A (as many have speculated will happen in the next 10-15 years) than it starts to make more sense.

As it is now, only 1 VMI from the "new" Patriot would draw well in Richmond and that's VMI. Since we already have them on the schedule why give up good draws against JMU, UD & W&M to play Bucknell, Holy Cross, etc. which have little appeal in the Richmond marketplace.

[warning...rant approaching] Of course, if a UR board member had not leaked the presidents secret plot to the press, this would have happened two winters ago. You just can't tell a team graduating 96% percent of it's players that they aren't good enough students and don't deserve to be at the university...and further insult them by saying that they will never be good enough to compete in the A10. That was one of many embarrassments which thankfully got the president to resign amid mass protest.

PantherRob82
October 13th, 2006, 08:18 AM
And all you Gateway people... what the hell is with your looking down your noses at EIU? They have a decent history in I-AA and your conference has three (THREE! [3!!!!!]) other Illinois schools (+Ind. State) that would probably benefit from having them there. I mean, besides the fact that "chuck-town" sucks... what is it? Is there attendance pitiful or do you guys just like puffing out your chests cause they're an "OVC" school or does their stadium blow or what?

It's mostly that they suck and we already had them once. :D

Golden Eagle
October 13th, 2006, 10:12 AM
UT-Martin to the SoCon? Nice.

Pard4Life
October 13th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Significant errors... Patriot would never accept LaSalle... bad facilities, no committment, not up to academic standards...

NEC... Iona, I can't see them granting 30 scholarships when they are willing to schedule D3 Montclair St (and lose by 21).

mainejeff
October 13th, 2006, 11:01 AM
As it stands now, any type of re-alignment should include the the following group of schools:

Maine
UNH
Albany
Stony Brook
UMass
URI

Those 6 are probably going to be in the same league if changes to the current conference structure are made.

89Hen
October 13th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Find two more for those Jeff and you've got a great conference.

Shockerman
October 13th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Drake
Illinois State
Indiana State
Missouri State
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Wichita State

I like your way of thinking. However, a 7 team league leaves something to be desired and a 12 team league does not pay off in DIAA. I say add NDSU and SDSU to get to 9 members. Once NDSU has proven itself on the basketball court (off to a great start) and if they get the BSA dump fixed then they could be the replacement for Evansville as a full valley memeber if we can finally drop that bottom feeder.

mainejeff
October 13th, 2006, 11:08 AM

They're working on it ;)

Go...gate
October 13th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Agreed...La Salle can go elsewhere...or just go...given the unfortunate shape of the program...the PL is not in their future...

Interesting thread though...

La Salle to the Pioneer?

Walkon79
October 13th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Hold your horses. The West Coast teams in the Big Sky didn't want you. If we were to realign based on this discussion. The MT teams would welcome you with open arms.

BearsCountry
October 13th, 2006, 12:27 PM
I like your way of thinking. However, a 7 team league leaves something to be desired and a 12 team league does not pay off in DIAA. I say add NDSU and SDSU to get to 9 members. Once NDSU has proven itself on the basketball court (off to a great start) and if they get the BSA dump fixed then they could be the replacement for Evansville as a full valley memeber if we can finally drop that bottom feeder.

Actually I wouldn't mind adding the 2 Dakota schools to the 7 team league and make it 9, which would be the best IMO. 4 home and 4 road. Heck I could probally live with a 12 team Valley with NDSU and SDSU in it.

Pard4Life
October 13th, 2006, 12:53 PM
La Salle to the Pioneer?

Yeah that makes sense. Or the trash heap.. can't see them paying for travel.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 13th, 2006, 02:13 PM
They're working on it ;)

How about Temple, UCONN, and Rutgers???? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Makes for nine with the 4 - 4 - 3 schedule! xsmileyclapx

Dane96
October 13th, 2006, 02:42 PM
You mean 5-0, #24 ranked Rutgers?

HELLO!!!

bkrownd
October 13th, 2006, 02:44 PM

The return of the Yankeeeeeee!!!!! :hurray:

Dane96
October 13th, 2006, 02:47 PM
...which has been talked about, with the addition of Albany and SBU. Fat chance, but would be smart!!!

UMass922
October 13th, 2006, 04:12 PM
As it stands now, any type of re-alignment should include the the following group of schools:

Maine
UNH
Albany
Stony Brook
UMass
URI

Those 6 are probably going to be in the same league if changes to the current conference structure are made.

How about throwing CCSU in there? And maybe Northeastern and Hofstra, too, if we wanted to go with a nine-team conference and still keep it all in New England and New York.

GeauxColonels
October 13th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Thanks, I'll get everybody moving on it right away.
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

aztecjim
October 13th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Okay,I've made some changes based on your ideas. First,some comments on my thought process
1)These are all-sport conferences,not just football. Schools like Georgetown and Villanova might not ike it but then I don't care:D
2)I tried to keep non-scholarship schools together. That explains the Ivy League.
3)I am still thinking about breaking up the HBCUs. OTOH since they have practically created their own sub-division,it is difficult.
4)I only included schools presently in the division or have officially announced they are moving to the division,like North Dakota
5)I hate multi-division leagues in colleges and for I-AA it just doesn't seem practical.
6)Some leagues have fewer schools so they can have more OOC games against schools they used to play in their former conference.
7)I am a "purist". I like schools in all-sport leagues. That means schools that don't play football would be in a separate league(Lamar,UT-SA,etc.)

Great West-Portland St,E Washington,UC-Davis,Cal Poly,CSU-Sacramento,S Utah,and San Diego(scholarship football or not they probably could still compete)
Big Sky-Montana,Montana St,Idaho St,N Arizona,Weber St,N Colorado,NDSU,SDSU(and eventually UND with ISU going to the GWC)
Patriot-Bucknell,Colgate,Fordham,Georgetown,Holy Cross,,Lafayette,Lehigh
Northeast-Iona,Marist,Monmouth,Sacred Heart,St. Peter,Wagner,La Salle
Ivy-same
Yankee-Maine,UNH,URI,Massachusetts,Albany,CCSU,Stony Brook,Northeastern,Hofstra,
Central Atlantic-Richmond,W&M,James Madison,Towson,Appalachian St,ODU,Villanova,Delaware
Southern-Furman,Ga Southern,The Citadel,UT-Chattanooga,W Carolina,UT-Martin,Campbell,Davidson

Dane96
October 13th, 2006, 07:09 PM
How about throwing CCSU in there? And maybe Northeastern and Hofstra, too, if we wanted to go with a nine-team conference and still keep it all in New England and New York.

In time...could be a VERY VERY POWERFUL CONFERENCE!

MissouriStateBear
October 13th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Adding EIU and SEMO would want me to move up to I-A quicker than anything.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

mainejeff
October 13th, 2006, 08:39 PM
The return of the Yankeeeeeee!!!!! :hurray:

Northeastern and Delaware consider themselves "Southern" schools.

mainejeff
October 13th, 2006, 08:40 PM

Hofstra - Yes
Northeastern - No
CCSU - Maybe

bkrownd
October 13th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Northeastern and Delaware consider themselves "Southern" schools.

Northeastern considers itself a "Southern" school? Huh? xidiotx Are you talking about Villanova maybe? Albany and maybe Stony Brook would fit in much better than Delaware. Wish the programs at BU and Connecticut (and Vermont) hadn't died. : smh : Somehow Boston College and RUTSgers never got the memo that they belonged in the YanCon.

SO ILLmatic
October 13th, 2006, 11:29 PM
You might as well add Temple in somewhere, CAA or the Patriot, because they need to drop down and in a hurry. They got straight up embarassed last night and they cant even beat Buffalo. And if you cant even beat Buffalo how are you going to compete in the MAC? Because Buffalo cant even compete in the MAC.

Fowler and Herbstreit were just dogging on Temple during last nights BC-VA Tech game. They showed highlights from the Temple-Clemson game and when they came back to Fowler he just says "How long do you think Temple is going to continue to play D-IA football." I dont remember what Herbstreit said but it was something along the lines of them seriously thinking about dropping down.

I mean what are they gaining from being in I-A, Im sure they could at least win ONE game in I-AA, but again it is Temple so I dont know.

DFW HOYA
October 13th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Fowler and Herbstreit were just dogging on Temple during last nights BC-VA Tech game. They showed highlights from the Temple-Clemson game and when they came back to Fowler he just says "How long do you think Temple is going to continue to play D-IA football." I dont remember what Herbstreit said but it was something along the lines of them seriously thinking about dropping down.

It's I-A or bust on North Broad Street, in no small part to the fact that they would have no place to play if they were a I-AA team, having left Temple Stadium in the 1970's and finally razing it in the 1990's. No I-AA team could afford to rent the Linc to play Hofstra before 3,000 people.

Temple Stadium: R.I.P.
http://ghosts.footballhistory.org/pic_Temple.jpg

BearsCountry
October 14th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Well Temple hired a good young coach and they could become a legit I-A program in time.

gophoenix
October 14th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Yeah, I don't get it. You keep some tradition and align some based on geaography, some based on current setup and some based on public/private mixing.

I'd do something more along the lines of::

Big Sky - Montana, Montana St, Idaho St, Weber St, N Colorado, NDSU, SDSU, N Dakota (when they move up)

Great West- Portland St, UC Davis, Cal Poly, Sacremento St, N Arizona, San Diego, S Utah

Southland-McNeese St, Nicholls St, NW St, SHSU, SE Louisiana, Texas St, SF Austin, C Arkansas

SWAC-Alcorn St,Grambling St,Jackson St,MVSU,PVA&M,Southern,Texas Southern, AL A&M, AL St, Ark Pine Bluff

MEAC-Delaware St, Howard, Morgan St, Norfolk St, NC A&T, NCCU, W-SSU, BCCU, FAMU, SCSU

Patriot-Bucknell, Colgate, Fordham, Georgetown, Holy Cross, Lafayette, Lehigh

American East - CCSU, Albany, Monmouth, Stony Brook, Rhode Island, UMass, Maine, New Hampshire

Northeast/Pioneer- Iona, Marist, Sacred Heart, St. Peter, Wagner, LaSalle, Butler, Dayton, Drake, Duquesne, Robert Morris, St. Francis(PA), Valpo

Ivy-same

Gateway- E Illinois, W Illinois, S Illinois, Illinois St, Indiana St, N Iowa, Missouri St, SE Missouri St, Youngstown St

CAA- Delware, Towson, Coastal, App, Georgia Southern, Hofstra, JMU, Northeastern, Villanova, Old Dominion, Georgia State (if they start)

Southern- Furman, VMI, The Citadel, Elon, Wofford, Liberty, Richmond, William & Mary, Presbyterian, Hampton

Big South- Charleston Southern, Gardner-Webb, Campbell, Davidson, Jacksonville, Morehead State, Savannah St, UNC-Pembroke (when they move up)

OVC- APSU, EKU, Jacksonville St, Murray St, Samford, Tennessee Tech, WKU, Western Carolina, UTC, Kennesaw St (if they start)

SoCon48
October 14th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Yeah, I don't get it. You keep some tradition and align some based on geaography, some based on current setup and some based on public/private mixing.

I'd do something more along the lines of::

Big Sky - Montana, Montana St, Idaho St, Weber St, N Colorado, NDSU, SDSU

Great West- Portland St, UC Davis, Cal Poly, Sacremento St, N Arizona, San Diego, S Utah

Southland-McNeese St, Nicholls St, NW St, SHSU, SE Louisiana, Texas St, SF Austin, C Arkansas

SWAC-Alcorn St,Grambling St,Jackson St,MVSU,PVA&M,Southern,Texas Southern, AL A&M, AL St, Ark Pine Bluff

MEAC-Delaware St, Hampon, Howard, Morgan St, Norfolk St, NC A&T, NCCU, W-SSU, BCCU, FAMU, Sav St, SCSU

Patriot-Bucknell, Colgate, Fordham, Georgetown, Holy Cross, Lafayette, Lehigh

American East - CCSU, Albany, Monmouth, Stony Brook, Rhode Island, UMass, Maine, New Hampshire

Northeast/Pioneer- Iona, Marist, Sacred Heart, St. Peter, Wagner, LaSalle, Butler, Dayton, Drake, Duquesne, Robert Morris, St. Francis(PA), Valpo

Ivy-same

Gateway- E Illinois, W Illinois, S Illinois, Illinois St, Indiana St, N Iowa, Missouri St, SE Missouri St, Youngstown St

CAA- Delware, Towson, Coastal, App, Georgia Southern, Hofstra, JMU, Northeastern, Villanova, Old Dominion

Southern- Furman, VMI, The Citadel, Elon, Wofford, Liberty, Richmond, William & Mary, Presbyterian

Big South- Charleston Southern, Gardner-Webb, Campbell, Davidson, Jacksonville, Morehead State

OVC- APSU, EKU, Jacksonville St, Murray St, Samford, Tennessee Tech, WKU, Western Carolina, UTC

Southern- Furman, VMI, The Citadel, Elon, Wofford, Liberty, Richmond, William & Mary, Presbyterian
That's nice. That gives a couple more schools for the A-10 fans and media to poke fun at and W&M/Richmond would be fools to leave the A-10 for that motley crew.

October 14th, 2006, 04:10 AM
... W&M/Richmond would be fools to leave the A-10 for that motley crew.Yeah, they might never make the playoffs again! xlolx

Keeper
October 14th, 2006, 05:03 AM
I've never really understood why the Virginia schools went into
the A-10 years ago. Were they drawn to the population and
marketing of the northeast, or were they rubbed the wrong way
by the Southern members? Did they consider the A-10 more urbane?
It's almost certain that the CAA will break apart at some point
and be southern dominant. The only other geographic point is
that the western schools will have travel burdens no matter what
the alignments, and those leagues cross-schedule OOC plenty
already. The bigger question is how to treat the Pioneer schools
and any other 'zero' scholarship teams. They should be allowed
to compete in D-III in football only if they elect.
Lets standardize the scholarship levels. Otherwise, schools will
always seek the league or situation that may satisfy the earliest
growth potential or increase their prestige.

SoCon48
October 14th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Yeah, they might never make the playoffs again! xlolx

Whatever was meant by that.

saluki_in_ohio
October 14th, 2006, 08:50 AM
EIU and SEMO in the Gateway?

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

EIU deserted the Gateway years ago, and the SEMO Chicken Hawks have no business being in 1-AA.....

PantherRob82
October 14th, 2006, 09:35 AM
EIU and SEMO in the Gateway?

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

EIU deserted the Gateway years ago, and the SEMO Chicken Hawks have no business being in 1-AA.....

agreed. why does every scenario stick us with them? :bang:

BearsCountry
October 14th, 2006, 10:04 AM
agreed. why does every scenario stick us with them? :bang:

Because of geography. Put NDSU and SDSU with us please, they are schools like the other Gateway schools not EIU and SEMO.

PantherRob82
October 14th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Because of geography. Put NDSU and SDSU with us please, they are schools like the other Gateway schools not EIU and SEMO.

Glad that in the real world we never get either school.

gophoenix
October 14th, 2006, 11:41 AM
I've never really understood why the Virginia schools went into
the A-10 years ago. Were they drawn to the population and
marketing of the northeast, or were they rubbed the wrong way
by the Southern members? Did they consider the A-10 more urbane?
It's almost certain that the CAA will break apart at some point
and be southern dominant. The only other geographic point is
that the western schools will have travel burdens no matter what
the alignments, and those leagues cross-schedule OOC plenty
already. The bigger question is how to treat the Pioneer schools
and any other 'zero' scholarship teams. They should be allowed
to compete in D-III in football only if they elect.
Lets standardize the scholarship levels. Otherwise, schools will
always seek the league or situation that may satisfy the earliest
growth potential or increase their prestige.

They left when the SoCon after the SoCon took in East Carolina, App were starting to eyeball Western and UTC during the whole big NAIA/Small College Division realignment during the 1970s. According to some older W&M fans I know, the concern was the SoCon going to public schools at the time.

Though, this will probably get BigApp and JCline posting a ton of nonsense on the issue, yet again, because it puts App in a light of causing a problem in the SoCon years ago. The same thing that App fans complain about Elon and Wofford in the SoCon now is the same problem that East Carolina and App caused in the early 70s.

W&M/Richmond would be fools to leave the A-10 for that motley crew.
Kind of like that Motley Crew of NAIA moveups that caused them to leave the SoCon in the first place, eh? You guys are forever talking about aligning like-minded schools at App. That list of "SoCon" schools would align many of the areas like-minded I-AA schools together.

Get off it Cline.

aceinthehole
October 14th, 2006, 12:43 PM

Central Connecticut State :nod:

and ???

skinny_uncle
October 14th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Would definitely rather have you than SEMO!
:eek: