PDA

View Full Version : Wilmington News Journal - UD Football's Prestige Now Just A Mirage

superman7515
December 4th, 2013, 07:18 AM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20131204/SPORTS07/312040040/UD-football-s-prestige-just-a-mirage

The name “Delaware” has long held prestige in college football, particularly within the Blue Hens’ neighborhood.
That was initially simply called “small-college” football. Then, when the NCAA got into the business of classifying schools, it was Division II, then I-AA, now FCS.

In all those places, Delaware has held weight, by virtue of the men who have coached it, such as College Football Hall-of-Famers Bill Murray, Dave Nelson and Tubby Raymond, the Wing-T offense Nelson created and Raymond honed, and the regularity with which the Hens have won.

So brace yourselves Blue Hens fans because this may sting:

The facts, it seem, do not live up to the image anymore.

It is, actually, a mirage.

I know what you’re thinking. Two factors – attendance and NCAA title-game appearances – uphold Delaware’s national stature, and that’s true.

Over the last 11 seasons, the Blue Hens have played for three NCAA titles, winning in 2003, losing when they should have to Appalachian State in 2007 and when they shouldn’t have in 2010 to Eastern Washington. The 2003 title game appearance was their first since 1982.

Those accomplishments alone have preserved UD’s distinction.

And the crowds still come in numbers most FCS schools can only dream of, even while average home attendance the last two seasons – 18,108 in 2013 and 18,542 in 2012 – has been the lowest since 1997 (17,317).

Delaware football remains one of the state’s greatest natural resources, a worthy source of pride and admiration. But it isn’t what it could be.
The evidence is in Delaware’s recent performance in the Colonial Athletic Association.

Over the last nine years – 2005 through 2013 – the Blue Hens are 34-38 in conference games. That is hardly the sign of a national power, or even a conference contender. That span includes one first-place finish, which it shared with William & Mary in 2010, and zero second-place finishes, even when the league had two six-team divisions through 2009.

Among schools that have been in the league throughout that entire nine-year stretch, five had better records than Delaware: New Hampshire (51-21); James Madison (46-26); Richmond (44-28); Villanova (43-29); and Maine (40-32). So did Massachusetts before bolting for the FBS Mid-American Conference in 2011 and Old Dominion in its two-year stay...

More at the link.

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2013, 08:08 AM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20131204/SPORTS07/312040040/UD-football-s-prestige-just-a-mirage

So brace yourselves Blue Hens fans because this may sting:

The facts, it seem, do not live up to the image anymore.

It is, actually, a mirage.

More at the link.

now what Hen fan would have to brace himself for that........ Now the UD administration might have to though

Lehigh'98
December 4th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Waaaaa, we don't win every single year. I'd love 3 NC appearances in a decade.

superman7515
December 4th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing...

Bogus Megapardus
December 4th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Waaaaa, we don't win every single year. I'd love 3 NC appearances in a decade.

Imagine the moaning and whining if the Express-Times or the Morning Call ever wrote an article like that about one of the LV schools. xrotatehx

The author of the article lobs criticism at Delaware football without any semblance of constructive suggestion. True, the author is correct - Delaware no longer towers over it conference mates. But that's called competitiveness and its typically a quality sought by fans, coaches and players. Historically the Blue Hens played a much more local schedule, which included the annual gimme against West Chester and true "small college" teams such as Gettysburg. Does the author believe that fans are longing for the return of those days so Delaware once again can flex its muscles over inferior competition? I don't think so.

TU Tiger Town
December 4th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Ouch.

But this is college football and that does seem to be how it goes for many schools, a once illustrious school falls on hard times for a few years (see Michigan), but they usually bounce back eventually. That 9 year W/L record in the CAA is surprising though, but at least in that conference you seemingly only need to be in the top 3 to make the playoffs, and as long as you're in the dance there's always a chance.

superman7515
December 4th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Historically the Blue Hens played a much more local schedule, which included the annual gimme against West Chester and true "small college" teams such as Gettysburg. Does the author believe that fans are longing for the return of those days so Delaware once again can flex its muscles over inferior competition? I don't think so.

Spend some time on GoHens and you'd be shocked then.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 4th, 2013, 08:55 AM
So first-time head coach Dave Brock doesn't come in right away and win a national championship, and now Delaware's football legacy is a mirage? xlolx

It's not QUITE as bad as App fans, but...

DFW HOYA
December 4th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Ouch.

But this is college football and that does seem to be how it goes for many schools, a once illustrious school falls on hard times for a few years (see Michigan), but they usually bounce back eventually.

Some do, some don't. Anyone heard from Boston College lately? How about Tennessee or Colorado?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 4th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Dumb article. Delaware has been a roller-coaster team for the last 15 years. They are due to rise back up any time now.

bluehenbillk
December 4th, 2013, 09:29 AM
What was written in the News Journal has been talked about on GoHens hundreds of times in the last five years. Delaware's records against it's current conference mates used to all be extremely one-sided. It ain't that way anymore, the program is in a rough spot & I wish I saw the light at the end of the tunnel.

Bogus Megapardus
December 4th, 2013, 09:33 AM
I'd like to ask the author a question. How many coaches and teams out there think to themselves, "Oh man, not Delaware again. Couldn't we have scheduled someone better?" If you answered "none," you'd be correct.

walliver
December 4th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Some do, some don't. Anyone heard from Boston College lately? How about Tennessee or Colorado?

Tennessee will come back (as will Florida). Colorado and BC had good runs, but weren't perennial heavyweights.

The landscape has changed in FCS. There is no reason UD can't have great seasons periodically, but there are now a lot of teams on the east coast competing for the same players and I don't think you will see a perennial dominant team in the CAA.

ASU and GSU were dominant in the SoCon for a decade, but these two schools were very different institutions than the rest of the conference and had advantages many of the others didn't. The CAA is a somewhat more homogenous conference from an institutional standpoint, and probably will not see the same type of domination.

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2013, 03:42 PM
I'd like to ask the author a question. How many coaches and teams out there think to themselves, "Oh man, not Delaware again. Couldn't we have scheduled someone better?" If you answered "none," you'd be correct.

Navy

ngineer
December 4th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Delaware still has a significant amount of cache. Similar to Notre Dame...how many national title have the Irish won in the last ten years? How many BCS championship appearances? UD fans need to get a grip and face reality. They are in the most balanced league in the country at FCS level. Years ago, recruiting was primarily regional. Now with most schools going national, the competition has increased and there is much more parity. It's great for football. As long as the Hens are in the hunt for a CAA title most years they should be happy.

Pard4Life
December 4th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Delaware fans are overreacting... their program is still the class of FCS, until Lafayette beats them in 2015... then it's panic time.

superman7515
December 4th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Delaware fans are overreacting... their program is still the class of FCS, until Lafayette beats them in 2015... then it's panic time.

No offense, but there could be blood in the streets.

Bogus Megapardus
December 4th, 2013, 09:13 PM
No offense, but there could be blood in the streets.

And those streets would be in Easton, because you're traveling to . . . gulp . . . College Hill. Just wait 'till word gets out about that one.

Could be a coup.

You'd have to go back to 1960 to find the last time Lafayette defeated Delaware.

GreatAppSt
December 4th, 2013, 09:13 PM
It's about time for some of these question to be asked, and asked loudly.xthumbsupx

Bogus Megapardus
December 4th, 2013, 09:56 PM
It's about time for some of these question to be asked, and asked loudly.xthumbsupx

I think everyone's writing as loud as they can here.

centennial
December 4th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Delaware will be back. Dominating the FCS is becoming a lot harder with more parity between teams. They are still a good team, they went 7-5 this year. Its not like they had one win..

superman7515
December 5th, 2013, 07:20 AM
And those streets would be in Easton, because you're traveling to . . . gulp . . . College Hill. Just wait 'till word gets out about that one.

Could be a coup.

You'd have to go back to 1960 to find the last time Lafayette defeated Delaware.

I know where the game is, haha. I didn't say we couldn't wait until we got back to raze and pillage. Heck, we'll just invite the Schmacking promoters back to town and finish off Main Street in style.

State Line Liquors
December 5th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Yeah, I don't expect any sympathy from others. For a great many programs and their fans I could see why they'd view this as whining.

To me the article is an honest assessment of a program that has underperformed when compared to historical expectations. And our league competitors have certainly caught up to us and some have surpassed us by several important measures. There are many factors that play a role in that.

The parody of the competition would be more digestible to me as a fan if we were appearing in the playoffs on a more consistent basis. You have to be in the playoffs to win championships, and we've only achieved the playoffs once in the last 6 years, even with an overzealous expansion of the field and a budget for the program that far exceeds most others at the FCS level.

The new coach will be given every opportunity to succeed, but the relationship won't last long with additional bed ****tings like we saw in the final 3 games of 2013 and blind loyalty to unqualified assistant coaches.

TU Tiger Town
December 5th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Delaware will be back. Dominating the FCS is becoming a lot harder with more parity between teams. They are still a good team, they went 7-5 this year. Its not like they had one win..

Agreed, they were in the middle of arguably the most balanced conference. The Hens were making a playoff push in the middle of the season, had good prospects after the win over Towson, just fell flat after that. Next year it could be a different story, it's not like they are coming off a season at the bottom like SBU or UA.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 5th, 2013, 08:44 AM
The logical course of action is to join the SoCon xlolx

Tribe4SF
December 5th, 2013, 08:45 AM
The CAA is hyper-competitive, and fans of every school not making the playoffs annually obsess over "what's wrong with our program". Next year will be the same. Towson, Villanova, Richmond and William and Mary return a ton for next year, but the only thing we can be assured of is that there will be another Maine to mess with the outcome. Or will it be UNH (again!), or JMU, or UD, or Stony Brook....? Towson lived up to billing this year, but how many had Maine and UNH as the other two playoff teams back in August?

AmsterBison
December 5th, 2013, 09:44 AM
I think everyone's writing as loud as they can here.

Bull crap! Where's the CAP LOCK and exclamation points!?! :)

Delaware will be back.

Green26
December 5th, 2013, 10:11 AM
This article is just a "mirage". It sites a bunch of stats that don't support the author's premise, or should I say his axe to grind. What's wrong with just sticking to the facts? Is this what is taught in journalism school these days?

blukeys
December 5th, 2013, 01:59 PM
This article is just a "mirage". It sites a bunch of stats that don't support the author's premise, or should I say his axe to grind. What's wrong with just sticking to the facts? Is this what is taught in journalism school these days?

Actually, everything said in this article has been said on UD Message
boards. The author is from the Lehigh Valley and grew up a Lehigh fan.
Draw your own conclusions.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 5th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Actually, everything said in this article has been said on UD Message
boards. The author is from the Lehigh Valley and grew up a Lehigh fan.
Draw your own conclusions.

So he's purposely causing a meltdown among the Delaware faithful to further Lehigh's agenda?

http://blogimages.bloggen.be/william_peynsaert/2037427-17ee6d5b8de926983b07d36fe0c7792a.jpg

blukeys
December 5th, 2013, 03:45 PM
So he's purposely causing a meltdown among the Delaware faithful to further Lehigh's agenda?

http://blogimages.bloggen.be/william_peynsaert/2037427-17ee6d5b8de926983b07d36fe0c7792a.jpg

No, he is a Johnny come lately. Everything in this article has already been discussed ad nauseum here and on gohens. Typical, Lehigh Valley guy, He acts as if he has stated something new and Unique when in fact everyone else has already figured it out and moved on.

Look for him to report next week that Obama lied about everyone being able to keep their Health Insurance if they like it.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2013, 06:31 AM

Not at all, he actually gets most of his stories from Gohens, the meltdown started a long time ago

Bogus Megapardus
December 7th, 2013, 09:30 AM
The author is from the Lehigh Valley and grew up a Lehigh fan.

He's doing it wrong.