PDA

View Full Version : Trio Invited to Payton Award Ceremony

smallcollegefbfan
December 3rd, 2013, 11:39 AM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/index.htm

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 3rd, 2013, 11:43 AM
EWU must have a heck of a QB coach.

jmufan999
December 3rd, 2013, 12:38 PM

no kidding. they're definitely doing something right up there.

TigerFen
December 3rd, 2013, 12:49 PM
I think Adams is the biggest among the three finalists for the Payton. I want West to win the Payton, but I think
Jimmy Garoppolo wins the award this year. Kind of surprised Jensen didn't end up in the top three on this front.

BisonFan02
December 3rd, 2013, 12:53 PM
I think Adams is the biggest among the three finalists for the Payton. I want West to win the Payton, but I think
Jimmy Garoppolo wins the award this year. Kind of surprised Jensen didn't end up in the top three on this front.

I'm not. With the system NDSU runs on offense, it won't happen. It's too tough to put up gaudy numbers (Ojuri and Crockett splitting time for example), and Bohl tends to slam the brakes before allowing the starters to pile up stats during OOC games.

DoubleH
December 3rd, 2013, 01:13 PM
They definitely got the right three finalists. Pulling for T. West obviously, but I agree: I think Garoppolo wins it.

andy7171
December 3rd, 2013, 02:30 PM
Screw you guys! Beast Mode for the win!!!

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2013, 02:32 PM
I'm not. With the system NDSU runs on offense, it won't happen. It's too tough to put up gaudy numbers (Ojuri and Crockett splitting time for example), and Bohl tends to slam the brakes before allowing the starters to pile up stats during OOC games.

This.

NDSU will never be a place for a hotshot to come, just guys who can work toward a goal and that's championships. Nobody is out for personal glory or accolades.

centennial
December 3rd, 2013, 02:51 PM
This, I've seen NDSU stop scoring and running the clock in the 3rd quarter multiple times this season. Even when we have to punt and get a 3 and out. NDSU could have beaten 6 or 7 of the teams we played this year by another 14+ easily. Brock isn't allowed to throw a lot. This year some teams did figure out our running game, like msu. When that happened Brock has thrown as good as the other guys. In all the years of seeing Brock play, he hasn't played even close to how good he is right now...

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2013, 03:50 PM
Jensen did finish 4th which is higher than I thought he'd get. Tough to argue he should replace any of the final three and I'm guessing he was a distant 4th since he only had 149 points and there's about 1400 points split between those top 3 guys.

Grizalltheway
December 3rd, 2013, 03:54 PM
This.

NDSU will never be a place for a hotshot to come, just guys who can work toward a goal and that's championships. Nobody is out for personal glory or accolades.

You just can't hit submit without some kind of smack in your post, can ya?

CAS4127
December 3rd, 2013, 03:57 PM
4th place is right in the wheelhouse for Jenson, and I think there is a relatively big drop off after him, just as there was between him and the top 3. The numbers the top 3 put up put them in a different setting then everyone else, then there is Jenson, and then there are the rest.

CAS4127
December 3rd, 2013, 04:01 PM

If you are referring to his "hotshot" reference, he is actually wrong. We have so-called hotshots. In fact, we have several, and that is why we don't have a player in the top 3 WPA standings. If either Crockett or Ojuri was used as our premiere back with 90% of the carries, either would likely have over 2000 yards rushing. If we want to just throw the ball, Jenson's numbers would be good enought to get him in the top 3, and a couple of our receivers would possibly be in consideration. We just run a balanced offensive attack.

BisonFan02
December 3rd, 2013, 04:04 PM

If you are referring to his "hotshot" reference, he is actually wrong. We have so-called hotshots. In fact, we have several, and that is why we don't have a player in the top 3 WPA standings. If either Crockett or Ojuri was used as our premiere back with 90% of the carries, either would likely have over 2000 yards rushing. If we want to just throw the ball, Jenson's numbers would be good enought to get him in the top 3, and a couple of our receivers would possibly be in consideration. We just run a balanced offensive attack.

xthumbsupx

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2013, 04:45 PM

Oh please. You can't just dismiss everything I say by using the word smack. I meant that sincerely. If you're offended by the word hotshot, you might need to toughen up a little.

Grizalltheway
December 3rd, 2013, 05:18 PM
Oh please. You can't just dismiss everything I say by using the word smack. I meant that sincerely. If you're offended by the word hotshot, you might need to toughen up a little.

Not offended at all. Just find it amusing the you need to find a way to be derisive to guys who have put up incredible individual performances in leading their teams to high seeds in the playoffs, rather than just saying congrats and moving on.

jacksfan29
December 3rd, 2013, 05:53 PM
4th place is right in the wheelhouse for Jenson, and I think there is a relatively big drop off after him, just as there was between him and the top 3. The numbers the top 3 put up put them in a different setting then everyone else, then there is Jenson, and then there are the rest.

How is there a big drop off after Jenson?

Zenner had over 1,700 yards in the regular season, 5.9 yards per carry and 28 touchdowns. He rushed for over 100 yards in all but one game this season (yep, NDSU). He is now just under 2,000 after a single playoff game. There are also a few other names on the list that had some pretty gaudy stats. Other then his winning percentage Jensen's stats are very good. But to say there is a big drop off after him smacks of someone who is either clueless about the others on the list, or simply wears green and gold glasses.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2013, 06:02 PM
How is there a big drop off after Jenson?

Zenner had over 1,700 yards in the regular season, 5.9 yards per carry and 28 touchdowns. He rushed for over 100 yards in all but one game this season (yep, NDSU). He is now just under 2,000 after a single playoff game. There are also a few other names on the list that had some pretty gaudy stats. Other then his winning percentage Jensen's stats are very good. But to say there is a big drop off after him smacks of someone who is either clueless about the others on the list, or simply wears green and gold glasses.

There was a pretty big drop off in voting after Jensen. He received 149 pts and Nebich received 106. After that Zenner took 6th with 86 pts.

FordhamFan
December 3rd, 2013, 06:06 PM
No disrespect to Adams at all, because he is a great GREAT player, but the bias in me has to come out and say that if Nebrich plays 12 games instead of 10.25, he is in the top 3. He would have had Garoppolo numbers and finished fifth with almost two less games.

That said, great set of guys, I think Garoppolo gets it, but all three are spectacular players that deserve consideration.

Kemo
December 3rd, 2013, 09:22 PM
Zenner had over 1,700 yards in the regular season, 5.9 yards per carry and 28 touchdowns. He rushed for over 100 yards in all but one game this season (yep, NDSU). He is now just under 2,000 after a single playoff game.
The funny thing is, Zenner will more than likely become only the second running back in FCS history to rush for back-to-back 2,000 yard seasons and has yet to finish in the top 5 of the Payton Award balloting. Maybe 3rd time will be the charm for him next year.

thebootfitter
December 3rd, 2013, 09:48 PM
Maybe 3rd time will be the charm for him next year.
I suspect so...

Herder
December 3rd, 2013, 10:16 PM
The funny thing is, Zenner will more than likely become only the second running back in FCS history to rush for back-to-back 2,000 yard seasons and has yet to finish in the top 5 of the Payton Award balloting. Maybe 3rd time will be the charm for him next year.

Zenner has great Stats, so I guess its because he hasn't won the champio . . . Oh, I guess none of the three guys in the running have won the Championship either. Hum who knows, I guess this is just a stats award, nothing more, nothing less. It certainly isn't awarding other leadership qualities and winning, just stats. Put up big stats, run up the score, throw for 5 TD a game, throw it early, throw it late, generate some Stats!

You can be sure that Zenner won't win the award for 3 consecutives years of great accomplishment, it will be 2014 Stats only . . . this list seals it. Get the Stats!

lionsrking2
December 3rd, 2013, 10:41 PM
Zenner has great Stats, so I guess its because he hasn't won the champio . . . Oh, I guess none of the three guys in the running have won the Championship either. Hum who knows, I guess this is just a stats award, nothing more, nothing less. It certainly isn't awarding other leadership qualities and winning, just stats. Put up big stats, run up the score, throw for 5 TD a game, throw it early, throw it late, generate some Stats!

You can be sure that Zenner won't win the award for 3 consecutives years of great accomplishment, it will be 2014 Stats only . . . this list seals it. Get the Stats!

Zack Zenner would be at, or near the top, of my list ... love that guy!!!! Beast of a running back and true epitome of what college football is all about IMO.

Sycamore62
December 3rd, 2013, 10:43 PM

Until an offensive lineman wins this or the heisman then it's not really going to meet the "most outstanding player" definition.

lionsrking2
December 3rd, 2013, 10:46 PM
Until an offensive lineman wins this or the heisman then it's not really going to meet the "most outstanding player" definition.

When "they" finally figure out a consistent, reliable method of statting O-line performance, which can be understood and compared, we'll see start seeing them in the mix ... until then, not so much, unfortunately.

Sycamore62
December 3rd, 2013, 10:52 PM
When "they" finally figure out a consistent, reliable method of statting O-line performance, which can be understood and compared, we'll see start seeing them in the mix ... until then, not so much, unfortunately.

Ya I know. I'm mostly referring to Orlando Pace back in the day and I don't know of any you could throw in at the FCS level but just sayin.

Southern Bison
December 3rd, 2013, 11:05 PM

You are the resident AGS bull**** artist...you even carry a badge of "honor" as the AGS Smack Champ. It's all about the homemaker from Lawrence, KS...blah, blah, blah.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2013, 11:14 PM
You are the resident AGS bull**** artist...you even carry a badge of "honor" as the AGS Smack Champ. It's all about the homemaker from Lawrence, KS...blah, blah, blah.

Do you have some kind of email alert that tells you when I've posted so you can come at me?

robsnotes4u
December 3rd, 2013, 11:28 PM

That is why they make Ignore Lists

Screamin_Eagle174
December 3rd, 2013, 11:55 PM
We do, but I'd say Beau Baldwin is the main cog behind EWU's success at QB for the last decade. Baldwin played QB at Central Washington behind Jon Kitna, before he started coaching the QBs there for 9 years. In 2003 he came to EWU as the QB coach/offensive coordinator under Paul Wulff. He's been as good a recruiter as he is a coach and grooming QBs.

kalm
December 4th, 2013, 07:17 AM

Our run to pass ratio is 409-421. Pretty sure EIU's is similar...lol. This is not the "Most Successful FCS Player Over a Two Year Span" award. Jensen is a great leader but sorry...he's not in the same ballpark here.

If Trent Dilfer had won a second Superbowl, I'm sure you guys would have voted him MVP. :D

Bisonator
December 4th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Congratulations to the finalists! Some really great players at this level and everyone on the list is well deserving of all the accolades. I think Garoppolo wins it.

If I had to pick a player to lead my team to a championship and an undefeated season give me Brock every time. He doesn't have the gaudy individual passing stats because that's not what he's asked to do and it's not in the best interest of our offense and team. He can settle for being the winningest QB in FCS and 3 time National Champion instead!

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 4th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Garoppolo should win this he is by far the best player in the country. West and Zenner need more appreciation than they are getting as well.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 4th, 2013, 08:43 AM
That is why they make Ignore Lists

He couldn't ignore me. What would he have to complain about?

Agree on Garoppolo though.

robsnotes4u
December 4th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Don't just look at stats get on ESPN3 and watch Garoppolo play. He is an amazing QB. He is my pick hands down.

THE HERD
December 4th, 2013, 09:23 AM
We do, but I'd say Beau Baldwin is the main cog behind EWU's success at QB for the last decade. Baldwin played QB at Central Washington behind Jon Kitna, before he started coaching the QBs there for 9 years. In 2003 he came to EWU as the QB coach/offensive coordinator under Paul Wulff. He's been as good a recruiter as he is a coach and grooming QBs.

Would EWU fans agree that Adams is three times the QB that BLM was? While BLM was solid he really seemed to be a wildcard in that he may throw two or three picks in a game....Adams really takes care of the ball, plus athletically Adams is head and shoulders above BLM. Adams can put your team on his back and win it seems, but with BLM I don't believe that was the case, plus BLM had a stronger D and probably better recievers to work with than Adams.

THE HERD
December 4th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Anybody know what the QB's stats out of Old Dominion are this year, with the supposed step up in competition?

UIWWildthing
December 4th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Our run to pass ratio is 409-421. Pretty sure EIU's is similar...lol. This is not the "Most Successful FCS Player Over a Two Year Span" award. Jensen is a great leader but sorry...he's not in the same ballpark here.

If Trent Dilfer had won a second Superbowl, I'm sure you guys would have voted him MVP. :D
If he won a second SB, he'd eat for free in Baltimore for life :D

As for the award, I want T. West to win, duh but I agree Garoppolo will be the winner.

Grizalltheway
December 4th, 2013, 12:39 PM
If he won a second SB, he'd eat for free in Baltimore for life :D

As for the award, I want T. West to win, duh but I agree Garoppolo will be the winner.

Not if Flacco was at the same joint...

DoubleH
December 4th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Anybody know what the QB's stats out of Old Dominion are this year, with the supposed step up in competition?

Pretty gaudy still, although it is worth noting that his three lowest-rated games came against FBS opponents (out of 5 total FBS games):

SPLITS
CMP
ATT
YDS
CMP%
YPA
LNG
TD
INT
SACK
RAT

Season
70.0%

UIWWildthing
December 4th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Not if Flacco was at the same joint...
Oh hell at that point that place would close :)

NoDak 4 Ever
December 4th, 2013, 09:39 PM
One follow up from my comments on the other Payton thread. I really like Jensen at 4. That's all I wanted in the first place.