PDA

View Full Version : UD Student Newspaper Rips Coach Brock for Lying & Unprofessionalism

superman7515
December 3rd, 2013, 12:12 AM
http://www.udreview.com/sports-commentary-let-s-talk-professionalism-1.3124665?pagereq=1

On the football field, Dave Brock is an energetic head coach who isn’t afraid to run 10 yards off the sideline and get into the face of an official. But of course, he won’t talk about those encounters in the media, as his blasé answers to tough questions are boring enough to make Bill Belichick proud.
But after the Hens squandered a 22-point fourth-quarter lead to Villanova Saturday, effectively ending their season, Brock finally showed some emotion in his postgame press conference. When I asked junior defensive end Derrick Saulsberry what he thought of Villanova players saying the Hens “didn’t want it” on their way into the locker room after the game, Brock interjected.

“Those kids were making comments because they’re kids,” Brock said angrily. “They don’t even mean that. Have the professionalism to understand it.”

I stand by that question. But if coach Brock wants to talk professionalism, we can do that.

In the fourth quarter of Delaware’s matchup with Jacksonville University, junior quarterback Trent Hurley threw an interception with his team up by 17 points. The interception was returned for a touchdown that almost let the Dolphins crawl back into the contest.

After the game, Hurley told me it was supposed to be a running play, but he audibled into a pass. In retrospect, he had his best receiver, Michael Johnson, in one-on-one coverage on the outside. You can’t fault Hurley for trying to make a play. But when I asked Brock who called the play, he told me it came from the sideline and went into detail about why it was called.

Those are two different answers from two of the most high-profile members of our university’s flagship athletic program. To me, smart money says Hurley changed the play at the line of scrimmage and Brock, unaware Hurley had already given an answer to the same question, told a story to protect his quarterback.

I didn’t believe it for a second.

Shielding your quarterback from media scrutiny is one thing, but going to such lengths to hide such an insignificant mistake was shameful and, dare I say, unprofessional. In fairness, it’s possible Hurley was mistaken and the play call actually did come from the sideline, but the quickness with which Hurley answered my question leads me to believe otherwise.

From that moment on, I took everything Brock said for the rest of the season with a grain of salt. And unfortunately, that wasn’t the only time Brock showed his true colors.

The week leading up to Delaware’s matchup with Navy, we decided we wanted to write a feature story detailing how Brock worked his way up from a player at Ferrum College to a Division I head coach. We cleared the story with the sports information director, Scott Selheimer, who scheduled the interview.

Our reporter showed up on time, walked into Brock’s office and asked him how he wound up at Delaware. At that moment, Brock decided he didn’t want to answer any questions directly relating to himself. When I asked Scott for an explanation, he was perplexed as to why Brock wouldn’t talk.

After every loss, Brock always said he wanted the focus to be on his shortcomings, not the players. But yet, when we wanted to do an entire story focusing on him, he refused. You can’t have it both ways.

Regardless, if Brock didn’t want to have a story written about himself, that’s his prerogative, but he could have told us before we scheduled the interview. Wasting the time of a student reporter trying to write one of our paper’s most high-profile features of the year displays a sheer lack of respect to all the students who spend hours upon hours every week working at The Review.

If the Delaware football team had made the playoffs this year, perhaps it would have been easier to overlook Brock’s antics. If he was successful, then who am I to question the methods to his madness? In a way, he was right when he said it was ridiculous to insinuate the players “didn’t want” to win on Saturday. The players gave it everything they had, but their coach let them down.

Villanova quarterback John Robertson said Delaware’s conservative late-game defensive strategies made it much easier for the Wildcats to pull out a miraculous comeback. The Hens played a three-man front for the majority of the fourth-quarter, which allowed Robertson to buy time in the pocket and complete 10 of his final 12 passes en route to the upset.

Brock said he stuck with the three-man front because it had worked at earlier points in the game. But this isn’t Madden. You can’t run the same defensive scheme repeatedly and expect a Walter Payton Award candidate in Robertson to be fooled for long. Despite Villanova’s consistent drives against Delaware’s defense, the Hens dropped back eight defenders and watched Robertson tear their season to shreds.

That’s not on the players. They don’t call the plays. That blame falls solely on the shoulders of Dave Brock. So Brock can get angry and question my professionalism all he wants, but next week he’s going to watch 24 other teams play in the NCAA Tournament. If he wants to know why Delaware won’t be one of them, all he has to do is look in the mirror.

I’ll be focusing on basketball season.

Bisonoline
December 3rd, 2013, 12:22 AM
http://www.udreview.com/sports-commentary-let-s-talk-professionalism-1.3124665?pagereq=1

Nothing worse than the student rag with a hard on because they are butthurt.

Twentysix
December 3rd, 2013, 01:24 AM
Fire everyone:win game.

Green26
December 3rd, 2013, 04:16 AM
The article is very unprofessional, and the examples don't come close to supporting the reporter's statements. The author is obviously young and immature and is being a baby. Montana had a similar series of articles and editorials from the school newspaper one year when Bobby Hauck was the coach. If a kid like that came looking for a job at my office, we'd show him the door.

CFBfan
December 3rd, 2013, 07:15 AM
what an a-hole (the writer that is)

State Line Liquors
December 3rd, 2013, 07:17 AM
It probably would have been smart for the student to have consulted his editor/newspaper advisor & maybe one of the various beat writers for the team before putting this in print.

Winindy
December 3rd, 2013, 07:24 AM
Didn't know you could commit career suicide before you have a career.

Libertine
December 3rd, 2013, 07:37 AM
"I took everything Brock said for the rest of the season with a grain of salt."

Really? Is this guy six years old? Does he also still believe in Santa because Mommy said so?

DSUrocks07
December 3rd, 2013, 08:07 AM
Quality UD education there...

Sam_Kats
December 3rd, 2013, 08:15 AM
Weak argument & weak story. Hopefully UD got rid of this pansy.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2013, 08:42 AM
I think the student reporter needs to grow a thicker skin. Having said that, this did stand out to me:

The week leading up to Delaware’s matchup with Navy, we decided we wanted to write a feature story detailing how Brock worked his way up from a player at Ferrum College to a Division I head coach. We cleared the story with the sports information director, Scott Selheimer, who scheduled the interview.

Our reporter showed up on time, walked into Brock’s office and asked him how he wound up at Delaware. At that moment, Brock decided he didn’t want to answer any questions directly relating to himself. When I asked Scott for an explanation, he was perplexed as to why Brock wouldn’t talk.

After every loss, Brock always said he wanted the focus to be on his shortcomings, not the players. But yet, when we wanted to do an entire story focusing on him, he refused. You can’t have it both ways.

Regardless, if Brock didn’t want to have a story written about himself, that’s his prerogative, but he could have told us before we scheduled the interview. Wasting the time of a student reporter trying to write one of our paper’s most high-profile features of the year displays a sheer lack of respect to all the students who spend hours upon hours every week working at The Review.

IMO, it's not just the student journalist that needs to learn about the media. If he's like this with the students, the kids who are supposed to be homer partisans, you can only imagine how he is with the rest of the media of the state of Delaware.

superman7515
December 3rd, 2013, 09:17 AM
I agree that it's weak sauce, just surprised that it actually made it to print. Even looking past the actual subject of the article, it's very poorly written. I wonder if the editor of the student paper even reviewed this.

ace93
December 3rd, 2013, 09:26 AM
I see "UD" and I think University of Dayton. A10 influence and not being a big enough follower of the FCS to know these coaches names.

As bad as the article was, the closing was funny.
"So Brock can get angry and question my professionalism all he wants, but next week he’s going to watch 24 other teams play in the NCAA Tournament. If he wants to know why Delaware won’t be one of them, all he has to do is look in the mirror."

cmaxwellgsu
December 3rd, 2013, 12:08 PM
Sounds like the BS the George Anne would write about our team. The problem is that these kids think they're Sportscenter anchors in school, and really dig their heels in when they write some of the crap they do. It seems a number of them are the polar opposite of homers; I definitely wouldn't call this kid a homer LFN.

walliver
December 3rd, 2013, 02:35 PM
The "writer" will be working for TMZ soon enough.

To me, a coach who takes the fall for a QB's error is a good thing.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2013, 07:33 PM
Brock is a Bullshipper, kid told it like it is but obviously there has to be more to the story or I cant imagine they would have rolled with it

dgtw
December 3rd, 2013, 07:57 PM
I wouldn't call throwing an interception on a play that was supposed to be a run and letting a Pioneer team back into the game an insignificant mistake.

clenz
December 4th, 2013, 06:19 AM
The "writer" will be working for TMZ soon enough.

To me, a coach who takes the fall for a QB's error is a good thing.

This....protecting a 18-22 year old from the assholes that are sports fans it's a good move....

This was a complete garbage piece.

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2013, 07:01 AM
I'll just say as a Hen fan living afar, it's a waste of time to listen to Brock, He will give you nothing during his show or during an interview, and I mean nothing. I was so bored trying to listen to one of his interviews, I went and made one up myself. Kid reporter was obviously frustrated with having Brock blowing smoke up his oraface all year. Maybe Brock will loosen up a bit and be a little bit more forthcoming with the media and the fans.

Ivytalk
December 4th, 2013, 07:11 AM
If I were Brock, I'd be far more concerned about this morning's News-Urinal piece by Kevin Tresolini, which shows how far UD has sunk in the CAA.

NDSUstudent
December 4th, 2013, 07:35 AM
This....protecting a 18-22 year old from the assholes that are sports fans it's a good move....

This was a complete garbage piece.

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoMmbUmKN0E