PDA

View Full Version : Dick Biddle just resigned @ Colgate.....

CFBfan
December 2nd, 2013, 03:23 PM
discuss!

Fordham
December 2nd, 2013, 03:25 PM
whoa!

ace93
December 2nd, 2013, 03:30 PM
Did he resign or did he "resign"?

CFBfan
December 2nd, 2013, 03:32 PM

not sure but 1 year removed from a PL championship i can't imagine he was pushed out

- - - Updated - - -

Dan Hunt (current OC) is the new Head coach

Pards Rule
December 2nd, 2013, 03:33 PM
WOW!!! Holy *****! Carney break out the Wild Turkey!

Pard4Life
December 2nd, 2013, 03:33 PM
WOW! xeekx

ace93
December 2nd, 2013, 03:35 PM
not sure but 1 year removed from a PL championship i can't imagine he was pushed out

Good point. I was thinking this season more than anything and how it ended up being a bit disappointing for them.

Pards Rule
December 2nd, 2013, 03:36 PM
Good point. I was thinking this season more than anything and how it ended up being a bit disappointing for them.

Do you think he was fricking FIRED?!?!

ace93
December 2nd, 2013, 03:38 PM
Do you think he was fricking FIRED?!?!

I was asking. (was that not clear?)
I don't follow PL football the way you guys do.

CFBfan
December 2nd, 2013, 03:39 PM
WOW!!! Holy *****! Carney break out the Wild Turkey!

the good news for Gate is that the "frankasoraus" is locked up at LC!

Bogus Megapardus
December 2nd, 2013, 03:43 PM
This simply does not happen at PL schools. It just doesn't. He coached the PL champion last season and was a win away this year. He was Coach of the Year. There was no performance-based reason for him to resign.

Maybe he got a better offer.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2013, 03:45 PM
“My wife and I carefully considered this decision,” Biddle said. “Our love for Colgate and Hamilton is unparalleled, but 18 years as head coach is a long time at any one place. Sometimes a change is good for everybody.

Biddle is 66 and maybe he just thought it was time. Congratulations to coach Biddle on a stellar career and (speaking as a Lehigh fan) someone whom I feared facing.

Pard4Life
December 2nd, 2013, 03:45 PM
Biddle retired... I believe it... http://gocolgateraiders.com/news/2013/12/2/FB_1202132750.aspx

Bogus Megapardus
December 2nd, 2013, 03:46 PM
Biddle's Twitter:

https://twitter.com/DickBiddle

Nothing unusual at all there. What's going on?

CFBfan
This simply does not happen at PL schools. It just doesn't. He coached the PL champion last season and was a win away this year. He was Coach of the Year. There was no performance-based reason for him to resign.

Maybe he got a better offer.

I think that he might be riding off into the sunset, I saw several gate games this year and he seemed very distant on the sidlelines

Pard4Life
Meanwhile, Lafayette's incompetence vs. Gate will continue unabated.

Bogus Megapardus
December 2nd, 2013, 03:48 PM
Biddle retired... I believe it... http://gocolgateraiders.com/news/2013/12/2/FB_1202132750.aspx

OK, that make a LOT more sense. Retired, not resigned.

- - - Updated - - -

Meanwhile, Lafayette's incompetence vs. Gate will continue unabated.

My guess it that it will be bated in one fashion or another.

maine612
December 2nd, 2013, 03:48 PM
Cool to see a guy go out respected...on his own terms...without some sort of farewell tour. Good luck. Another noteworthy Dick off the board. As they retire, they are not replaced. The name Dick continues to be eradicated from most walks of life.

ace93
December 2nd, 2013, 03:50 PM
OK, that make a LOT more sense. Retired, not resigned.

Exactly. Resigned does not usually have a very good connotation. Always has the sound of being asked to step down.

crusader11
December 2nd, 2013, 03:52 PM

I highly doubt he was asked to step down. Biddle has been the most successful coach in the history of the league.

CFBfan
December 2nd, 2013, 03:53 PM
[QUOTE=Bogus Megapardus;2064228]OK, that make a LOT more sense. Retired, not resigned.

sorry!! my bad, meant to put retired
- - - Updated - - -

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2013, 03:53 PM
Dan Hunt will take over as the new head coach at Colgate.

Think he's put in his dues? He's had 18 years (not a typo) as an assistant to Biddle.

Bogus Megapardus
December 2nd, 2013, 03:54 PM
Exactly. Resigned does not usually have a very good connotation. Always has the sound of being asked to step down.

Dan Hunt is taking the reins so this does NOT look like an involuntary move by any means. It looks like the rest of the staff and the existing program will remain in place. My sense is that he's simply retiring and taking is generous Colgate University pension.

Bogus Megapardus
December 2nd, 2013, 03:56 PM
Dan Hunt will take over as the new head coach at Colgate.

Think he's put in his dues? He's had 18 years (not a typo) as an assistant to Biddle.

It's the PL way. Tavani was an assistant at Lafayette for 15 years before he became the head coach.

ace93
December 2nd, 2013, 03:56 PM
Dan Hunt is taking the reins so this does NOT look like an involuntary move by any means. It looks like the rest of the staff and the existing program will remain in place. My sense is that he's simply retiring and taking is generous Colgate University pension.

Agreed and I was agreeing with your previous post about "retired, not resigned" making more sense.

CFBfan
December 2nd, 2013, 03:57 PM
a really good one gone (on his own terms) while mediocrity lingers else where in the PL (HC, GU)........

Pard4Life
December 2nd, 2013, 04:03 PM
The name Dick continues to be eradicated from most walks of life.

Really? I know many Dicks. And I continuously meet people who are emblematic of the name as well, so I just assume their name is Dick.

RichH2
December 2nd, 2013, 04:03 PM
Stunned. Guess he was ready . No way should or could this be construed as anything but a personal decision. PL and Gate are losing a great coach.

Bogus Megapardus
December 2nd, 2013, 04:05 PM
Really? I know many Dicks. And I continuously meet people who are emblematic of the name as well, so I just assume their name is Dick.

It was my Dad's name, too.

maine612
December 2nd, 2013, 04:07 PM

Most famous Dicks are gone.. Van Dyke, Butkus, Martin, Cheney, Cavett, Van Patton, Button... We have a few left like Enberg and Vitale...but not for long...

I think University of Minnesota basketball coach Richard Pitino should go with Dick Pitino only because that would be hilarious and moderately creepy.

Bogus Megapardus
December 2nd, 2013, 04:13 PM
Most famous Dicks are gone.. Van Dyke, Butkus, Martin, Cheney, Cavett, Van Patton, Button... We have a few left like Enberg and Vitale...but not for long...

I understand that there remain several popular actors with that given name in the erotic cinema industry.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2013, 04:13 PM
I'm really not that surprised! Biddle has done great things for the Colgate football program but, it started to feel like things had grown a bit stale. Perhaps a little like Beamer at VT? I think some youth and a perhaps a little more energy will help Colgate football take a next step. There's obviously a bit of "be careful what you wish for" element to this as well. I don't think getting kids to come to Hamilton, NY is the easiest task in FCS.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2013, 04:14 PM

I think University of Minnesota basketball coach Richard Pitino should go with Dick Pitino only because that would be hilarious and moderately creepy.

As he himself might say, "any rumors of the death of Dick Cavett are greatly exaggerated".

Gate83
December 2nd, 2013, 04:15 PM
There had been whispers up in Hamilton about Coach retiring after the season so not a big surprise, and it has long been assumed that Coach Hunt was next in line. Big shoes to fill!

maine612
December 2nd, 2013, 04:16 PM
As he himself might say, "any rumors of the death of Dick Cavett are greatly exaggerated".

Very good one! :) Some of these Dicks are not yet dead, they are just not part of mainstream communication any longer.

Bogus Megapardus
December 2nd, 2013, 04:16 PM
The idiom, "Tom, Dick and Harry" really needs updating. Just a thought.

Bogus Megapardus
December 2nd, 2013, 04:18 PM
Some of these Dicks are not yet dead

However they are frail, withered and sagging.

Lehigh'98
December 2nd, 2013, 04:25 PM
My pops goes by Dick. He's big dick, which makes me little Dick........dammit.

Sad to see Biddle go, he really did fantastic things at Colgate after the '95 season. Also got the Patriot League to its only championship game in '03.

Go...gate
December 2nd, 2013, 04:50 PM
At 66, and after a lot of very hard work and a job well done, he is going out on his own terms.

To say it had become "stale" like Frank Beamer at VA Tech misses the point. Biddle still loved coaching and he loved Colgate. But things start getting tougher in our sixties.

He resurrected the Colgate football program and did it with class and grace, and he is going out the same way. He will be greatly missed. He has been a credit to Colgate in every way.

Congratulations, Coach Biddle, on a job well done.

LehighU11
December 2nd, 2013, 04:56 PM
Sounds like this may have been in the works. Aside from it being the 10 year anniversary of Colgate's 2003 playoff run, it makes sense that they gave away Biddleheads at the Lehigh game.

Pard4Life
December 2nd, 2013, 05:07 PM
Is Hunt capable at all? I mean.. that offense..

Fordham
December 2nd, 2013, 05:08 PM
Amazing, amazing coach. All PL teams hope they can find a guy to do for their program what he did for 'Gate, imo.

Gate83
December 2nd, 2013, 05:31 PM

From the press release...

Colgate in 2012 under Hunt was one of the nation's most prolific offensive units. The Raiders led the Patriot League and ranked in the top 10 nationally in nearly every major offensive category. Colgate finished the season third nationally in scoring (39.4), fourth in total offense (486.4), fifth in rushing (284.5) and sixth in pass efficiency (154.22 rating). In addition, tailback Jordan McCord (http://gocolgateraiders.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4597) rushed for 1,708 yards for the fifth-best total in Patriot League history.

O struggled this year, mainly due to injury. That said, hoping Coach Hunt will add a little variety to the play calling next season.

Tunkmaster
December 2nd, 2013, 05:52 PM

You mean the offense that's averaged 473 yds/game against Lafayette in the seven years he's been OC?

(Nice avatar Gate83. Didn't think many of those window decals still existed.)

Pard4Life
December 2nd, 2013, 05:55 PM
You mean the offense that's averaged 473 yds/game against Lafayette in the seven years he's been OC?

Yep, our carney 2 has it well documented... something like 34 points per game against the Pards.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2013, 05:56 PM

I think by the end, Colgate's teams where built to do one thing, win the PL late in the year. Some may beg to differ but I'm not sure how much Biddle cared about Colgate's place nationally after their run to the title game in 2003.

I think some fresh blood was needed if Colgate wanted to compete again with the better teams in FCS. This is to take nothing away from Biddle, just an observation based on recent results.....

Pard4Life
December 2nd, 2013, 05:56 PM
From the press release...

Colgate in 2012 under Hunt was one of the nation's most prolific offensive units. The Raiders led the Patriot League and ranked in the top 10 nationally in nearly every major offensive category. Colgate finished the season third nationally in scoring (39.4), fourth in total offense (486.4), fifth in rushing (284.5) and sixth in pass efficiency (154.22 rating). In addition, tailback Jordan McCord (http://gocolgateraiders.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4597) rushed for 1,708 yards for the fifth-best total in Patriot League history.

O struggled this year, mainly due to injury. That said, hoping Coach Hunt will add a little variety to the play calling next season.

Yes, I am hinting that he is capable since Colgate offense is usually a machine, to us at least. 2013 looked like a repeat of 2012.

CFBfan
December 2nd, 2013, 05:59 PM
I think by the end, Colgate's teams where built to do one thing, win the PL late in the year. Some may beg to differ but I'm not sure how much Biddle cared about Colgate's place nationally after their run to the title game in 2003.

I think some fresh blood was needed if Colgate wanted to compete again with the better teams in FCS. This is to take nothing away from Biddle, just an observation based on recent results.....

other than Coen's recent run what PL coach has done better than Biddle????

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2013, 06:09 PM

I'm not sure but Biddle's OOC record the last few years couldn't have been very good.

The guy was a master of late season PL play though! His teams knew how to win in late October through November! Especially on the frozen tundra!

blukeys
December 2nd, 2013, 06:38 PM
Sad to hear that Coach Biddle is leaving.

But he is leaving with class which is how he conducted himself throughout his career. I wish his successor well.

Gate83
December 2nd, 2013, 06:40 PM
He was 81-27 against the PL, 39-10 against the Ivies. This year in particular was tough OOC (though it's always pleasant to beat Cornell), and other than '03 the playoff results haven't been good. Still, I haven't met a Gate fan yet who doesn't think an 18 year record of 137-73 with 7 league championships and an FCS championship game appearance is pretty good... enjoy retirement, coach!

Pard4Life
December 2nd, 2013, 07:17 PM

Tavani xrolleyesx :D

Pard4Life
December 2nd, 2013, 07:18 PM
Sad to hear that Coach Biddle is leaving.

But he is leaving with class which is how he conducted himself throughout his career. I wish his successor well.

Umm... might want to hold that thought...

ngineer
December 2nd, 2013, 07:42 PM
I think that he might be riding off into the sunset, I saw several gate games this year and he seemed very distant on the sidlelines

Biddle's 'distance' on the sideline has been there for years. The only HC I "know" who walks without headphones, with arms folded, away from the action as if he's 1,000 miles way in his thoughts. Then a turn and a few words with an assistant. No way he was fired. Perhaps he really does feel 'it is time'....Maybe he and Frank can get a condo in Boca together! (;-)
I have always admired the way Biddle has been able to consistently recruit from the "middle of nowhere" and get kids to come there from FL, TX, CA, etc. Best wishes, Dick. And the Raiders better stay away from Cecchini!!

ngineer
December 2nd, 2013, 07:51 PM
Glad to see they hired Hunt.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2013, 07:59 PM
Glad to see they hired Hunt.

Keeping it within the program was a smart move by Colgate imo. Biddle must have built up some great relationships with HS coaches around the country. For a school like Colgate I think it's important to be able to recruit off of trust given it's location. It's a tremendous school but there's definitely a niche to it when it comes to athletics. Generally speaking, every PL school needs coaches that are familiar with the workings of the institutions and league.

I really think with a new era of the PL starting it was the right time. It's a fresh new start with someone who learned from Biddle but obviously has his own ideas. There's no doubt that Biddle is the dean of the PL. I would not surprise me if they named the COY award after him!

ngineer
December 2nd, 2013, 08:01 PM
Keeping it within the program was a smart move by Colgate imo. Biddle must have built up some great relationships with HS coaches around the country. For a school like Colgate I think it's important to be able to recruit off of trust given it's location. It's a tremendous school but there's definitely a niche to it when it comes to athletics.

I really think with a new era of the PL starting it was the right time. It's a fresh new start with someone who learned from Biddle but obviously has his own ideas. There's no doubt that Biddle is the dean of the PL. I would not surprise me if they named the COY award after him!

Yes, Biddle was the 'coy' type....(;-)

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2013, 08:06 PM
How many opportunities did Biddle have to leave? IIRC, Duke made a serious run at him several years back? He seemed perfect for a place like West Point or Boston College. Very Tom Caughlin and Bobby Ross like...

maine612
December 2nd, 2013, 08:15 PM
The idiom, "Tom, Dick and Harry" really needs updating. Just a thought.

Needs to be something like Sage, Carter, and Parker.

DFW HOYA
December 2nd, 2013, 08:25 PM
Most famous Dicks are gone.. Van Dyke, Butkus, Martin, Cheney, Cavett, Van Patton, Button... We have a few left like Enberg and Vitale...but not for long... .

Gone? All are still alive except Dick Martin, whose first name was actually Thomas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Martin_(comedian)

It's a mid-20th century first name that fell out of fashion, like Wally or Harold.

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/

Go...gate
December 2nd, 2013, 08:34 PM
Tavani xrolleyesx :D

Who is now the Dean of Patriot League coaches.....

- - - Updated - - -

Gone? All are still alive except Dick Martin, whose first name was actually Thomas.

It's a mid-20th century first name that fell out of fashion, like Wally or Harold.

Dick Nixon probably didn't help things.....

Go...gate
December 2nd, 2013, 08:38 PM
How many opportunities did Biddle have to leave? IIRC, Duke made a serious run at him several years back? He seemed perfect for a place like West Point or Boston College. Very Tom Caughlin and Bobby Ross like...

Princeton wanted him badly after Steve Tosches was shown the door - they made a serious bid. Biddle did talk to Army at one point, as well as Rutgers. I also understood that Duke really wanted him to coach at his alma mater.

maine612
December 2nd, 2013, 09:13 PM

And we still have Trickle. And I said before....gone not from Earth but in terms of relevancy.

Sader87
December 2nd, 2013, 09:52 PM
I highly doubt he was asked to step down. Biddle has been the most successful coach in the history of the league.

*cough, cough* Mark Duffner *cough, cough*

dungeonjoe
December 3rd, 2013, 04:17 AM
And we still have Trickle. And I said before....gone not from Earth but in terms of relevancy.

Ah, sorry, but that would be a no.

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/7/30/4567960/dick-trickle-suicide-nascar-profile

fc97
December 3rd, 2013, 05:07 AM
elon job? he was interested in it when lembo got the job.

maine612
December 3rd, 2013, 08:00 AM
Ah, sorry, but that would be a no.

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/7/30/4567960/dick-trickle-suicide-nascar-profile

Oops...sorry. Respect the dead. I know close to zero about NASCAR.. bad mistake/poor form.

Go Green
December 3rd, 2013, 08:18 AM
He was 39-10 against the Ivies

He had the good fortune of playing Dartmouth, Cornell, and Princeton in an era where all three were mediocre at best, and usually outright lousy. It would be like playing Brown in the 1980s through the mid 1990s (they sucked then).

Had he played Harvard or Penn on a yearly basis in those years, the record would be a lot less impressive.

Franks Tanks
December 3rd, 2013, 08:22 AM
Congrats to Coach Biddle on a long and successful career. He is a great guy and great coach.

crusader11
December 3rd, 2013, 08:23 AM
*cough, cough* Mark Duffner *cough, cough*

I think when Duffner was coaching things were pretty different compared the state of the league when Biddle came in. Right?

Gate83
December 3rd, 2013, 09:00 AM
Here's a nice salute to Biddle's career from today's Syracuse paper.

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2013/12/dick_biddle_who_took_colgate_f.html#incart_river_d efault

And yes, coaching the Crusaders scholarship program against a bunch of non-schollie schools is substantially different than taking over an 0-11 squad that the administration had been trying to run into the ground. How did Duffner do at Maryland once everyone was on equal footing?

CFBfan
December 3rd, 2013, 10:03 AM
He had the good fortune of playing Dartmouth, Cornell, and Princeton in an era where all three were mediocre at best, and usually outright lousy. It would be like playing Brown in the 1980s through the mid 1990s (they sucked then).

Had he played Harvard or Penn on a yearly basis in those years, the record would be a lot less impressive.

way to be a d-bag green.....

Go Green
December 3rd, 2013, 10:21 AM
way to be a d-bag green.....

I'm just the messenger.

I have all the respect in the world for Coach Biddle, who was one of the greats. But if you want to tout his .800 winning percentage against the Ivy, fairness dictates some context for that number.

Should probably also mention that for all anyone knows, Colgate probably did want to play the Ivy powers (Harvard and Penn) and were rebuffed. During Biddle's tenure, Harvard rarely "reached" in its nonconference opponents, preferring to get some easy wins. Penn did attempt to schedule tougher nonconference games, but preferred to play in-state rivals. I can certainly imagine Biddle offering to play them and being turned away.

SingForever
December 3rd, 2013, 11:21 AM
He ALWAYS seemed distant. Did you ever notice his lack of expression. Zombie-like

- - - Updated - - -

He ALWAYS seemed distant. Did you ever notice his lack of expression. Zombie-like

CFBfan
December 3rd, 2013, 11:25 AM
1st time i've ever seen an echo on here

andy7171
December 3rd, 2013, 11:36 AM
It is good to see a long time coach go out on his own terms. A very nice career up at Colgate. Good luck to him!

Go...gate
December 3rd, 2013, 12:14 PM
I'm just the messenger.

I have all the respect in the world for Coach Biddle, who was one of the greats. But if you want to tout his .800 winning percentage against the Ivy, fairness dictates some context for that number.

Should probably also mention that for all anyone knows, Colgate probably did want to play the Ivy powers (Harvard and Penn) and were rebuffed. During Biddle's tenure, Harvard rarely "reached" in its nonconference opponents, preferring to get some easy wins. Penn did attempt to schedule tougher nonconference games, but preferred to play in-state rivals. I can certainly imagine Biddle offering to play them and being turned away.

Glad you tried to clarify this, but more clarification (if not outright correction) is needed. Some recitation of history is also in order.

When Biddle first returned to Colgate in 1995 (he also coached there under Fred Dunlap from 1977-1982), he was an Assistant to Ed Sweeney, all the Ivies (incuding Dartmouth) loved to play us because we could not beat them anymore. Quite candidly, we were lower than where Georgetown is now or Lafayette was in the late Rothkopf era, and there was open discussion about Colgate dropping football (the university was already in the process of dropping baseball, which was the University's oldest sport). Neil Grabois, Colgate's President, together with Colgate's Provost and faculty really wanted football out.

Beginning in the mid-1980's through 1995, Harvard and Pennsylvania were quite happy to beat the crap out of us all the time. After 1996, when Colgate started to improve, Penn asked out of the last two games they had contracted for in a four-game home and home (1997 and 1999) and told us flat-out they would not play us any more - even if all the games were in Philadelphia. Harvard drastically curtailed playing us as well, and Murphy will not play us, period.

Princeton (which was not quite as bad as you say during the 1996 - 2012 period) continued to play us and actually earned some fine wins over Colgate, though it is my understanding that after 2015 we will no longer play. We had a ten-year contract with you guys which recently ended and which Dartmouth could not wait to finish. Brown and Columbia, long-time rivals, will no longer play us. I have been told that Yale, another old rival, will be coming back on the schedule more often, and Cornell will continue their long-time series with Colgate.

In a way, rather than Biddle's record being "padded" by bad Ivy teams, one could credibly argue that Colgate's situation with the Ivies presaged the present changes in relationship between the Patriot and Ivy. Then, as now, as soon as any PL team got any good, the Ivies shunned them. Now, with scholarships, the Ivy has a new reason to stop playing us (except, perhaps, Georgetown due to the "merit aid" issue).

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2013, 12:16 PM
Beginning in the mid-1980's through 1995, Harvard and Pennsylvania were quite happy to beat the crap out of us all the time. After 1996, when Colgate started to improve, Penn asked out of the last two games they had contracted for in a four-game home and home (1997 and 1999) and told us flat-out they would not play us any more - even if all the games were in Philadelphia.

What a surprise... said no Lehigh fan ever. xlolx

Dane96
December 3rd, 2013, 12:23 PM
Congrats to Coach Biddle. Great guy! Colgate will be just fine and were smart with the hire. Two classy guys leaving this year in Ford and Biddle, men who had the utmost respect for one another. I truly hope that UA and Colgate continue what has become a great, great rivalry in recent times.

DFW HOYA
December 3rd, 2013, 01:17 PM
When Biddle first returned to Colgate in 1995 (he also coached there under Fred Dunlap from 1977-1982), he was an Assistant to Ed Sweeney, all the Ivies (incuding Dartmouth) loved to play us because we could not beat them anymore. Quite candidly, we were lower than where Georgetown is now or Lafayette was in the late Rothkopf era.

Sweeney's schedules were considerably stronger that those faced by Tavani, or, more recently, Kelly. The Red Raiders regularly had one or two I-A games a year, such as Army and Rutgers, plus full-scholarship I-AA opponents such as Northeastern and Buffalo in addition to the Ivies.

Pards Rule
December 3rd, 2013, 02:30 PM
Glad you tried to clarify this, but more clarification (if not outright correction) is needed. Some recitation of history is also in order.

When Biddle first returned to Colgate in 1995 (he also coached there under Fred Dunlap from 1977-1982), he was an Assistant to Ed Sweeney, all the Ivies (incuding Dartmouth) loved to play us because we could not beat them anymore. Quite candidly, we were lower than where Georgetown is now or Lafayette was in the late Rothkopf era, and there was open discussion about Colgate dropping football (the university was already in the process of dropping baseball, which was the University's oldest sport). Neil Grabois, Colgate's President, together with Colgate's Provost and faculty really wanted football out.

Beginning in the mid-1980's through 1995, Harvard and Pennsylvania were quite happy to beat the crap out of us all the time. After 1996, when Colgate started to improve, Penn asked out of the last two games they had contracted for in a four-game home and home (1997 and 1999) and told us flat-out they would not play us any more - even if all the games were in Philadelphia. Harvard drastically curtailed playing us as well, and Murphy will not play us, period.

Princeton (which was not quite as bad as you say during the 1996 - 2012 period) continued to play us and actually earned some fine wins over Colgate, though it is my understanding that after 2015 we will no longer play. We had a ten-year contract with you guys which recently ended and which Dartmouth could not wait to finish. Brown and Columbia, long-time rivals, will no longer play us. I have been told that Yale, another old rival, will be coming back on the schedule more often, and Cornell will continue their long-time series with Colgate.

In a way, rather than Biddle's record being "padded" by bad Ivy teams, one could credibly argue that Colgate's situation with the Ivies presaged the present changes in relationship between the Patriot and Ivy. Then, as now, as soon as any PL team got any good, the Ivies shunned them. Now, with scholarships, the Ivy has a new reason to stop playing us (except, perhaps, Georgetown due to the "merit aid" issue).

Gate - you sure you have Dunlaps years right? I SWEAR when I went to the Easton held LC-Gate game in Oct 1983 (L, 21-7) Dunlap was still in the program as HC (15th year I swear it said because I - in my young days - thought "wow -that's a LONG time")??

Go...gate
December 3rd, 2013, 03:03 PM
Pards Rule, sorry for any confusion I may have created!

Coach D was HC at Colgate from 1976-1987 and AD thereafter until Mark Murphy got the job in, I believe, 1991 or 1992.

Biddle was Dunlap's assistant from '77 -'82.

Go...gate
December 3rd, 2013, 03:07 PM
Sweeney's schedules were considerably stronger that those faced by Tavani, or, more recently, Kelly. The Red Raiders regularly had one or two I-A games a year, such as Army and Rutgers, plus full-scholarship I-AA opponents such as Northeastern and Buffalo in addition to the Ivies.

They were rough years, but Biddle (initially with help from Dunlap, who returned to the football program to be the OC for two years and really shaped Ryan Vena) winched the Colgate program out of the muck and mire and got it on solid ground again.

With the benefit of hindsight, I feel sorry for Sweeney. He came in just as the program was reaching its nadir and he took the rap.

Ivytalk
December 3rd, 2013, 03:08 PM
Best wishes to Coach Biddle for a happy retirement. He is a class act.

Fordham
December 3rd, 2013, 03:18 PM
Did anyone else read his retirement announcement as though he's NOT done coaching yet?

Go...gate
December 3rd, 2013, 03:25 PM
He could go somewhere else. He's moving to VA. He said he had accomplsihed all he could at Colgate. But he is sixty-six.

Go Green
December 3rd, 2013, 03:49 PM
They were rough years, but Biddle (initially with help from Dunlap, who returned to the football program to be the OC for two years and really shaped Ryan Vena) winched the Colgate program out of the muck and mire and got it on solid ground again.

With the benefit of hindsight, I feel sorry for Sweeney. He came in just as the program was reaching its nadir and he took the rap.

How did Biddle do against FBS (or at least scholarship) teams?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2013, 03:56 PM
How did Biddle do against FBS (or at least scholarship) teams?

I know Colgate beat Buffalo in 2003. I'm pretty sure they lost to Navy and Army in 1997. They recently lost to Syracuse as well. I'm not sure about any other FBS games.

There's no doubt that Colgate struggled overall against scholarship FCS teams. Outside of 2003, the rest of their playoff games were all double digit losses with many being really ugly. I'm also pretty sure they've only beaten two full scholarship programs since 2003, Umass in 2005 and Coastal Carolina about 5 years ago.

I take nothing away from Biddle but I can see this as a good things for 'Gate football moving forward assuming the administration is behind Hunt. Colgate football needed to shake things up a bit to take the next step imo. Think Fisher at FSU, O'Brien at PSU etc...

Go...gate
December 3rd, 2013, 05:00 PM
1999 defeated Maine and 2007 defeated Towson, as well.

Not sure we struggled any more or less than any other PL team against scholarship schools.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If one is from Colgate, there may be some trepidation based on history.

The retirements/resignations of Andy Kerr, Hal Lahar and Fred Dunlap were followed by rapid declines in the football program.

Of the successors to these winning coaches, (Paul Bixler for Kerr, Fred Rice and Neil Wheelwright for Hal Lahar* and Mike Foley for Fred Dunlap) only Wheelwright had a winning record (41-37-2, 1968-75).

* Hal Lahar had two coaching tenures at Colgate, 1952-56 and 1962-67

Kramden
December 3rd, 2013, 05:23 PM
[QUOTE=Gate83;2064697]Here's a nice salute to Biddle's career from today's Syracuse paper.

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2013/12/dick_biddle_who_took_colgate_f.html#incart_river_d efault

Nice article. Describes Dick very well. Thanks coach for a great run. Go enjoy your retirement, you deserve it.

ngineer
December 3rd, 2013, 06:57 PM

Yes, I was talking to Fred a few weeks ago up in Hamilton at halftime of our game and he was recalling getting "called out of mothballs" by Biddle. Biddle basically admitted to Fred when he got the HC that he was always defense oriented and needed offensive help, so he asked Fred to be his OC. Fred was laughing recalling how he was trying to figure out how to tell his wife, Marilyn, that he was 'getting back in the saddle' again!

ngineer
December 3rd, 2013, 07:00 PM
He could go somewhere else. He's moving to VA. He said he had accomplsihed all he could at Colgate. But he is sixty-six.

He had previously indicated years ago the only other job he could have an interest in was Duke, his alma mater, but they seem to have things on the rise down there. Either that or he's angling for the JMU opening!!!!(;-)

Pards Rule
December 3rd, 2013, 07:05 PM
Pards Rule, sorry for any confusion I may have created!

Coach D was HC at Colgate from 1976-1987 and AD thereafter until Mark Murphy got the job in, I believe, 1991 or 1992.

Biddle was Dunlap's assistant from '77 -'82.

Thanks - I thought I was losing it!

ColgateTD
December 3rd, 2013, 07:53 PM
Congrats to Coach Biddle on a great run and great allegiance to the 'Gate football tradition. His numerous milestones and achievements will be difficult to equal. Enjoy your retirement, sir, and good luck! I'm sure all 'Gate alums wish for good seasons ahead under Coach Hunt.

Go...gate
December 3rd, 2013, 08:44 PM
Yes, I was talking to Fred a few weeks ago up in Hamilton at halftime of our game and he was recalling getting "called out of mothballs" by Biddle. Biddle basically admitted to Fred when he got the HC that he was always defense oriented and needed offensive help, so he asked Fred to be his OC. Fred was laughing recalling how he was trying to figure out how to tell his wife, Marilyn, that he was 'getting back in the saddle' again!

That was Coach Dunlap. He pitched right in, and Marilyn was truly his teammate. Lehigh and Colgate were both blessed to have him in their programs.

DFW HOYA
December 4th, 2013, 05:53 AM
He had previously indicated years ago the only other job he could have an interest in was Duke, his alma mater, but they seem to have things on the rise down there. Either that or he's angling for the JMU opening!!!!(;-)

There's a growing trend for some schools to hire older coaches as coordinators, mindful that they bring a lot of knowledge to the table but aren't angling to become a head coach. If Coach Cutcliffe needed an extra hand at Duke once the top assistants get recruited away, Biddle would be a solid add.

ColgateTD
December 4th, 2013, 08:50 AM
There's a growing trend for some schools to hire older coaches as coordinators, mindful that they bring a lot of knowledge to the table but aren't angling to become a head coach. If Coach Cutcliffe needed an extra hand at Duke once the top assistants get recruited away, Biddle would be a solid add.

I'm with DFW. I can see Bidddle helping out at Duke, even on a volunteer basis since it's his alma mater. He could definitely observe the defense and give his input to the ass't coaches.

Go...gate
December 4th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Charlottesville is not that far from Durham.

Who knows? UVA might have an interest in their new neighbor.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 4th, 2013, 05:26 PM
I'd like to petition Bogie to photoshop a new "Dream Team" on the sidelines for UVa:

Mike London, Mickey Matthews, Dick Biddle, Bob Ford

Kramden
December 4th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Nice video of the press conference on gocolgateraiders.com.

Pard4Life
December 4th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Um, even though I have not read through many of the pages of the thread, doesn't "retirement" mean "I'm going to do something else with my life now?" Unless he pulls Brett Sutter a-la New Jersey Devils and four months later, gets hired to coach the Calgary Flames...