PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville State vs. McNeese State

sharkeycox
December 1st, 2013, 04:50 PM
I hope McNeese's undersized defensive line can stop the "bowling ball" back from JSU. It could be a long night for the Cowboys.xconfusedx

The Ville
December 1st, 2013, 05:09 PM
Yeah D. James is having a strong year (I'm assuming that's the bowling ball) with him and the offense I feel we can score since most have on McNeese besides maybe Weber early on. But I think the battle will be JSU D vs McNeese's O... can't give up 40 something like Cowboys are averaging

maine612
December 1st, 2013, 05:45 PM
An intriguing game. I actually have no idea who will win and I definitely underestimated JSU in round 1. I have to believe McNeese takes care of business at home but I look forward to seeing JSU for the first time. Good luck to both squads.

DrStrangelove
December 1st, 2013, 07:59 PM
Back on November 9, the Gamecocks ran EKU right out of Burgess-Snow Field at JSU Stadium in what was up until that point the most complete victory of the season. A week later, playing on the road at EIU, the Gamecocks got steamrolled. I'm not sure McNeese State is in EIU's weight class in terms of talent, but that's something the Cowboys can hang their stetsons on: that a letdown could be coming for the Gamecocks.

However, if Bill Clark and his staff can extract a Samford-like effort in Lake Charles, JSU could get it's first ever victory over McNeese. The smart money says bet the Cowboys, because it's their ranch. But be wary of the Gamecocks.

dgtw
December 1st, 2013, 08:12 PM
Just looking at McNeese's schedule, it seems like they are capable of both scoring and giving up a lot of points, the same as Jax State.

Gray Ghost
December 1st, 2013, 08:20 PM
Checking stats on both teams and they seem to match up pretty well with each other; Pokes average 42 pts per game, Gamecocks average 36. Wondering who'll have the advantage if it's raining in Lake Chuck Sat. night ? ...

Cocky
December 1st, 2013, 09:02 PM
Is it turf or grass?

pokefan02
December 1st, 2013, 09:31 PM
Slick turf. If you look at any video of the turf you can see how slick it is.

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2013, 02:31 PM
Rooting for McNeese in this one because if the Bison don't make it to Frisco I want the ticket demand to be as high as possible for me to offload my tickets xthumbsupx

msupokes1
December 2nd, 2013, 02:48 PM
Just looking at McNeese's schedule, it seems like they are capable of both scoring and giving up a lot of points, the same as Jax State.

It is hard to read into stats. Statistically the SLC has the number 1 ranked offense in FCS. That can make defensive numbers look bad. When you are going up against offenses like SFA, SHSU, and SLU every week. This game will be a challenge. This is no cake walk. After the way JSU played last week, McNeese may be the underdog in this one.

maine612
December 2nd, 2013, 02:51 PM
Rooting for McNeese in this one because if the Bison don't make it to Frisco I want the ticket demand to be as high as possible for me to offload my tickets xthumbsupx

If Maine beats ya, I'll take them off your hands :)

BEAR
December 2nd, 2013, 03:13 PM

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/29/29df78f1430ed195a09efd9cd6215e66f0a117b1140c8270d9 e278cdb44278f4.jpg

FormerPokeCenter
December 2nd, 2013, 03:50 PM
As Cody Stroud goes, so goes McNeese....if he has a good game, we'll light up the score board...

If he plays poorly, we'll have a repeat of UNI and SELA...He's a senior, so we'll stick with him through thick and thin. Matt Viator rarely, if ever, uses the hook on a senior QB...even when it would be to our advantage to prepare a kid for the following season....

Prominentwon
December 2nd, 2013, 03:52 PM
As Cody Stroud goes, so goes McNeese....if he has a good game, we'll light up the score board...

That's all that really needs to be said here.

msupokes1
December 2nd, 2013, 04:05 PM

If he plays poorly, we'll have a repeat of UNI and SELA...He's a senior, so we'll stick with him through thick and thin. Matt Viator rarely, if ever, uses the hook on a senior QB...even when it would be to our advantage to prepare a kid for the following season....

Could be different this game. The teams that have beat us have taken away the run and made Cody win the game. It did not work for us. JVSU gives up 207 yards per game on the ground. I think our run game is going to be heavily used in this game.

FormerPokeCenter
December 2nd, 2013, 04:44 PM
It's a yin and yang thing...the SELA game was ugly...Cody simply didn't play well and while some of that was clearly SELA's doing, there was a whole lot of it that wasn't...Not sure the outcome would have been any different, but it would have been much better to have played a decent game and come up short than simply be as anemic as we were.....

colonelblitz
December 2nd, 2013, 06:21 PM
Back on November 9, the Gamecocks ran EKU right out of Burgess-Snow Field at JSU Stadium in what was up until that point the most complete victory of the season. A week later, playing on the road at EIU, the Gamecocks got steamrolled. I'm not sure McNeese State is in EIU's weight class in terms of talent, but that's something the Cowboys can hang their stetsons on: that a letdown could be coming for the Gamecocks.

However, if Bill Clark and his staff can extract a Samford-like effort in Lake Charles, JSU could get it's first ever victory over McNeese. The smart money says bet the Cowboys, because it's their ranch. But be wary of the Gamecocks.

That same EKU team steamrolled TSU the week before 44-0.. Go figure..

SU DOG
December 2nd, 2013, 07:00 PM
The JSU QB is VERY fast, runs the read option well and is also underrated as a passer. I think he has really come on strong recently. Their RBs are no secret of course, and they have some muscle in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Not a lot of weaknesses on this team. I posted on here before the season started that this bunch would be the surprise of the OVC, and were loaded with talent. Our pitiful effort aside, I think this team has gotten better, and is now an extremely tough out.

DrStrangelove
December 2nd, 2013, 10:37 PM
That same EKU team steamrolled TSU the week before 44-0.. Go figure..

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but looking back on that game, I am certain JSU was not 50 points better that EKU. I was sitting in the general admission seection right behind the visitors bench and the term I would use to describe the second quarter was shell shocked. The points pilled up so fast the players just couldn't get out from under the avalanche.

McNeese75
December 2nd, 2013, 11:47 PM
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but looking back on that game, I am certain JSU was not 50 points better that EKU. I was sitting in the general admission seection right behind the visitors bench and the term I would use to describe the second quarter was shell shocked. The points pilled up so fast the players just couldn't get out from under the avalanche.

Pretty much what happened to Samford Saturday.

Cocky
December 3rd, 2013, 07:02 AM
Pretty much what happened to Samford Saturday.
Yes and no, EKU hurt itself more than Samford. Samford couldn't run the ball. The Samford QB did have trouble hitting his receivers but we did apply a fair amount of pressure. Also believe EKU was still a little high from their big win. After halftime both were ready to load the bus.

McNeese75
December 3rd, 2013, 10:33 AM
A lot of confident predictions on the JSU board xnodx. Of course after the Samford game I can understand why. Hopefully we ARE NOT Samford this weekend.

Sam_Kats
December 3rd, 2013, 10:36 AM
McNeese rolls

BEAR
December 3rd, 2013, 12:00 PM
Geaux Cowboys!

But I'm not sure which team will show up..

fmrbearkat
December 3rd, 2013, 02:25 PM
McNeese rolls

Wont even be close!!

msupokes1
December 3rd, 2013, 03:15 PM
Wont even be close!!

Hope you guys are right but the more I look at JVSU the more I get scared. We have crapped the bed the last 11 years. I don't care if we only win by 1. We need a playoff win.

McNeese72
December 3rd, 2013, 07:22 PM
Hope you guys are right but the more I look at JVSU the more I get scared. We have crapped the bed the last 11 years. I don't care if we only win by 1. We need a playoff win.

The weather forecast is what bothers me. They are run-oriented and we are more balanced. If the weather takes away the passing game, it will be which team can outmuscle the other running the ball.

Doc

LuckyKat
December 3rd, 2013, 08:04 PM
McNeese Rolls

Redbirdz
December 3rd, 2013, 09:02 PM
Wont even be close!!

For J'ville or McNeese? You may be surprised with the outcome of this one.

sharkeycox
December 3rd, 2013, 09:48 PM
Geaux Cowboys!

But I'm not sure which team will show up..

Amen to that brother. If the team that played South Florida, UCA and Sam shows up, I like our chances....but if the team that played UNI and SELA shows up.....we will get crushed.

fmrbearkat
December 4th, 2013, 01:01 AM
For J'ville or McNeese? You may be surprised with the outcome of this one.

Your right....the more I look at Jax State the more I will be surprised if they aren't on the recieving end of the Samfordesqe ass whippin'! The georgia state and Murray state were tough playoff caliber games!! The only teams they played that were worth a darn at all darn beat them! Only team on that schedule McNeese would lose too is Eastern Ill!

Cocky
December 4th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Your right....the more I look at Jax State the more I will be surprised if they aren't on the recieving end of the Samfordesqe ass whippin'! The georgia state and Murray state were tough playoff caliber games!! The only teams they played that were worth a darn at all darn beat them! Only team on that schedule McNeese would lose too is Eastern Ill!

Schedules are similiar, both loss bad to the two best playoff teams and beat a playoff team. Both also barely beat an Alabama DII and both beat a sorry FBS team.

Records give the impression these teams arent consistent and one team could run away from the other but most likely will be a good game.

Giff93
December 4th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I hate to state the obvious but this game will come down to turnovers and special teams play. Not to take anything away from Jacksonville State but they would not have that record in the southland conf. If the REAL cowboys show up we should not have a problem with this team. I know our players have not experienced the playoffs and therefore do not have the pressure BUT our coaches should certainly feel pressured to get this W! Going 0 -5 in the playoffs would not be a record that any coach could accept. Format for the W is fairly simple... Cody gets the offense off to a fast start and our D makes a statement for the first time this year and gets pressure on this QB early and often. We accomplish this and we win by several scores.

sharkeycox
December 4th, 2013, 09:41 AM
I hate to state the obvious but this game will come down to turnovers and special teams play. Not to take anything away from Jacksonville State but they would not have that record in the southland conf. If the REAL cowboys show up we should not have a problem with this team. I know our players have not experienced the playoffs and therefore do not have the pressure BUT our coaches should certainly feel pressured to get this W! Going 0 -5 in the playoffs would not be a record that any coach could accept. Format for the W is fairly simple... Cody gets the offense off to a fast start and our D makes a statement for the first time this year and gets pressure on this QB early and often. We accomplish this and we win by several scores.

Well.....that sounds easy enough!!!! Geaux Pokes!

MSU_77
December 4th, 2013, 10:13 AM

I think our D made a statement against Sam. Nevertheless, finally advancing in the playoffs would be sweet, however we accomplish it.

msupokes1
December 4th, 2013, 10:23 AM

You got it all figured out. I would like to think it was that simple. Jacksonville St looked good the other night against Samford and that had to give their boys some confidents.

FormerPokeCenter
December 4th, 2013, 11:05 AM
McNeese can't play with the first quarter mistakes and miscues that have defined us lately.

To have a shot at adancing, McNeese needs to come in focused and needs to get after it for 60 minutes...

If the players can't manage to do that in this game, the biggest of the year, then we don't deserve to be in the playoffs...

Hopefully, our injuries have improved and we've figured out how to work around the major injuries during the bye week...

Redbirdz
December 4th, 2013, 11:18 AM

Yeah, lots of luck with that one.xthumbsupx

fmrbearkat
December 4th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Yeah, lots of luck with that one.xthumbsupx

Wait until Saturday....no need for luck. Pokes are legit!! We didnt play a horrible game against them like we did UCA and they were a more complete team than EWU was. They had their miscues but got it together at the right time and will roll smooth over Jax St!

msupokes1
December 4th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Injuries for McNeese have some what improved. We did lose one of our starting corners to ACL the last game of the year. Injuries will not be an excuse. Hope the players are ready to play. If they come to play I don't think we lose. Overlook JVSU in the least bit and it could be a long night.

McNeese72
December 4th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Injuries for McNeese have some what improved. We did lose one of our starting corners to ACL the last game of the year. Injuries will not be an excuse. Hope the players are ready to play. If they come to play I don't think we lose. Overlook JVSU in the least bit and it could be a long night.

The only other loss for the season injury I know of was Wes Briscoe early in the season.

Doc

msupokes1
December 4th, 2013, 03:04 PM
The only other loss for the season injury I know of was Wes Briscoe early in the season.

Doc

That is correct. Cahee and Sams are both suppose to be back and 100%.

cardiaccowboy
December 4th, 2013, 07:14 PM
I like the Pokes 31-17

pokefan02
December 4th, 2013, 07:20 PM
I heard we will have Big South officials

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

pokefan02
December 4th, 2013, 07:21 PM
I heard we will have Big South officials Saturday

Cocky
December 4th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Appears anyone who can play a little rush defense and can pass have a good chance against McNeese.
Ill go with
JSU 41
McNeese 14.

McNeese72
December 4th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Appears anyone who can play a little rush defense and can pass have a good chance against McNeese.
Ill go with
JSU 41
McNeese 14.

And Jacksonville St has a good rushing defense????

Jacksonville St. (http://stats.ncaa.org/team/index/11520?org_id=315.0)
10-3

And a good passing offense???

10-3

Big_Fan
December 5th, 2013, 12:49 AM
And Jacksonville St has a good rushing defense????

10-3

And a good passing offense???

10-3

Run defense has been a weakness for JSU this season, however it improved late in the season (we had 9 new starters!)... with the notable exception of the game at EIU. The EIU game was magnified because of field position problems and the offense's inability to get first downs early... the defense was unable to adjust until too late. The EIU and Murray games somewhat skew the run defense stats. We gave up less than 100 to Samford, and they were unable to run at all until the game was way out of reach. Some of the stats were driven up by an inability to control 1st down early in the season... the opponents were always in 2nd/3rd & short. That improved greatly later in the season - again, EIU notwithstanding. That was a strange game... JSU was geared up to stop the passing game and play a shootout throwing the ball with Max. The weather ended up being gale force winds and EIU came out running. The wind killed our gameplan on offense and we just never adjusted - and turnovers put us behind the 8 ball....not to mention our all-everything punter wasn't able to kick the ball well into a 35mph wind in the 1st quarter. EIU was the better team, but the score got out of hand early because off turnovers and horrid field position. By the time we adjusted, it was 35-0. We couldn't pass in the hurricane, and Max got hurt. It was just a horrid day.

Max Shortell is JSU's "passing" QB. He has been sidelined with injuries for a while...even if he is ready to go, he may be rusty. He has a pair of 300+ passing yard games to his credit this season. Eli has come along as a passer. He doesn't have the pocket presence of Max, but he is capable - and a threat to pull it down and score from anywhere on the field.

Sometimes stats can be misleading... for example, JSU has a lower average per carry run defense than McNeese. JSU gives up 4.42, while McNeese gives up 4.66.

Conversely, McNeese has a higher average per rush on offense than JSU - even though JSU is more of a running team.

JSU has a pretty high average per completion, while McNeese has what is statistically one of the worst pass defenses in the FCS. They average giving up almost 100 more yards per game than JSU, on less than 2 additional passes per game - and both teams played 3 teams ranked in the top 15 pass offense.

JSU is ranked #7 in pass efficiency defense. Unless I am overlooking someone, the highest ranked pass defense McNeese has played was SELA, and they are ranked 42nd. SELA IS ranked higher in Rush defense than JSU @ 46, but they defended 160 fewer attempts, and the average per carry was just a third of a yard less. They shut down the McNeese passing game.

SELA's opponents total defense is ranked 61st, while JSU is 57th. SELA played one team ranked in the top 10 in total offense, while JSU played 2. If you carry that out, SELA played more top 30 offenses, and top 50 is tied.

That MAY mean that JSU can shut down the McNeese passing game with man coverage, and concentrate on stopping the run. It may not. Stats are indicators of what has happened, not what is going to. I think it will be a great game. A little luck in the early going could make the scoring turn into an avalanche against the other team... or it could be a shoot-out... or a defensive struggle. It is really a hard game to call. JSU could win this game by 30, lose by 30, or it could be +/- 3. Based on the outcomes of all games by both teams, my guess is that it will be decided by a TD either way. If you hang your hat on shutting down SFA's run offense, you are ignoring SFA's 120th ranked pass defense that goes along with a run defense that is statistically no different than JSU's.

JSU fans should be proud of what Coach Clark has done in his first season. Heck, we made the playoffs, won a playoff game, and are just a 7.5 point dog playing at a seeded team... and we are really young. This is the type of team Coach Crowe would have gone 6-6 with.

lionsrking2
December 5th, 2013, 01:40 AM
SELA's opponents total defense is ranked 61st, while JSU is 57th. SELA played one team ranked in the top 10 in total offense, while JSU played 2. If you carry that out, SELA played more top 30 offenses, and top 50 is tied.

You may wanna slow your roll just a tad ... JSU played one legitimate top 10 offense in EIU, and gave up 52 points ... Jacksonville U. technically finished in the top 10, but that was against primarily a non-scholarship schedule - highly doubtful they rank anywhere close to that in a power conference.

We played the Nos. 2, 12, 13 and 16 offenses and gave up 14, 7, 21 and 31 points respectively. JSU's top four offenses faced were Nos. 1, 5 (non-scholly), 29 (SWAC), and 42. Hardly an apples to apples comparison if you're trying to read into the numbers. JSU also played more bad offenses and didn't play a true FBS opponent.

As for slowing down McNeese's passing attack playing man coverage, we were able to do it because we're really long and athletic on the back end and we can roll a solid two, and close to three deep defensively ... having watched JSU on video, not sure they have the size and depth to get away with it. We'll see.

Cocky
December 5th, 2013, 06:59 AM
How many rushing yards did McNeese give up to West Alabama? How many rushing yards did McNeese have against UWA?

msupokes1
December 5th, 2013, 07:59 AM
How many rushing yards did McNeese give up to West Alabama? How many rushing yards did McNeese have against UWA?

Stats do not tell the whole story of a game. McNeese came out with a very vanilla offense. They tried to establish the pass to develop some of the younger receivers, as seen by the 44 passes that Stroud threw. We can do the same and pick JVSU stats apart too. Why don't you reference the games in which McNeese had well over 300 yards rushing (Nicholls, Weber St., and Lamar) or the ones over 250 (NWSU, ARPB, and Central Arkansas). You could also reference the fact that your rush defense gave up over 400 yards rushing twice this year (EIU and SEMO).

msupokes1
December 5th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Run defense has been a weakness for JSU this season, however it improved late in the season (we had 9 new starters!)... with the notable exception of the game at EIU. .

So SEMO's 410 yards rushing the last game of the regular season was improvement. Sounds good.

McNeese72
December 5th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Question. What happened in the Tenn. St. game? In his press conference, your coach said, of the teams you played, McNeese resembles Tenn St. the most.

Doc

McNeese72
December 5th, 2013, 08:14 AM
If the weather ends up as predicted Sat. night, neither team will probably have to worry about playing pass defense. It might be a grind it out, who can stop the other team's rushing attack type of game.

Doc

McNeese72
December 5th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Stats do not tell the whole story of a game. McNeese came out with a very vanilla offense. They tried to establish the pass to develop some of the younger receivers, as seen by the 44 passes that Stroud threw. We can do the same and pick JVSU stats apart too. Why don't you reference the games in which McNeese had well over 300 yards rushing (Nicholls, Weber St., and Lamar) or the ones over 250 (NWSU, ARPB, and Central Arkansas). You could also reference the fact that your rush defense gave up over 400 yards rushing twice this year (EIU and SEMO).

I think our defense has greatly improved since that UWA game, especially the rush defense.

Doc

MSU_77
December 5th, 2013, 08:51 AM
We need to:

1. Establish the run
2. Avoid turnovers
3. Limit penalties

Easy for me to say. :)

msupokes1
December 5th, 2013, 08:52 AM
We need to:

1. Establish the run
2. Avoid turnovers
3. Limit penalties

Easy for me to say. :)

We also need to:

1.) Dominate special teams
2.) Control offense and defensive line of scrimmage

MSU_77
December 5th, 2013, 08:59 AM
We also need to:

1.) Dominate special teams
2.) Control offense and defensive line of scrimmage

Let me hear you say....Diontae!!! :)

msupokes1
December 5th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Let me hear you say....Diontae!!! :)

I'll be yelling "Tigah". My little boy was yelling go Tiger at the Lamar game and some lady said doesn't he know this is the Cowboys. I had to explain that his nick name was TIger.

McNeese72
December 5th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Arrrrgghhh! The local TV station runs a story online of Matt Viator talking about Jacksonville St. Video they put with the story while he is talking is video of Jackson St. <facepalm.jpg>

Doc

Big_Fan
December 5th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Question. What happened in the Tenn. St. game? In his press conference, your coach said, of the teams you played, McNeese resembles Tenn St. the most.

Doc

Offensively, you are similar.

Defensively, there is no comparison. TSU is much better. Our OL has improved quite a bit, but TSU was very tough mid season.

It was 21-15 in the 4th quarter. Our defense wore down.

TSU is ranked #4 in scoring defense - and would be higher if not for the EKU game where they had half their team out. McNeese State's defense is ranked 72...much lower than the JSU defense that is being trashed...

I am not saying JSU will run away and blow out McState - or even win the game, but I don't think it is a cut and dried walk over for McState. I really hope the team is taking JSU as lightly as some of the fans on this forum are.

pokefan02
December 5th, 2013, 07:08 PM
I don't think any Cowboy fans are underestimating JSU. I believe it is other school fans doing that

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Big_Fan
December 5th, 2013, 07:18 PM
I don't think any Cowboy fans are underestimating JSU. I believe it is other school fans doing that

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

...and herein is the issue...

McNeese fans are, by and large, confident in an easy win.

JSU fans are, by and large, happy to be in the playoffs, and confident that it will be a tough game that could go either way. Virtually every JSU homer on our board is predicting a win by a TD or less. More are predicting a McState win than are picking a JSU win by more than a TD.

...and you say we are underestimating McNeese - in other words, it won't be a close game. It will be a blowout win by McNeese.

That WREAKS of overconfidence. I hope the coaches and team are right there with you.

McNeese72
December 5th, 2013, 07:27 PM
...and herein is the issue...

McNeese fans are, by and large, confident in an easy win.

JSU fans are, by and large, happy to be in the playoffs, and confident that it will be a tough game that could go either way. Virtually every JSU homer on our board is predicting a win by a TD or less. More are predicting a McState win than are picking a JSU win by more than a TD.

...and you say we are underestimating McNeese - in other words, it won't be a close game. It will be a blowout win by McNeese.

That WREAKS of overconfidence. I hope the coaches and team are right there with you.

Which McNeese fans are thinking it will be an easy win? I don't know of any. We have lost every one of our first round playoff games since we went to the NC game in 2002. With that history, I don't think there are that many overconfident McNeese fans out there.

I don't get where you think the McNeese fans are over confident. I think you are just trying to develop an "us against the world" or "we are not being respected" mentality going into the game.

Name some screen names.

Doc

pokefan02
December 5th, 2013, 07:31 PM
I was talking about fans other than McNeese and JSU. McNeese has not won a playoff game since 2002

Big_Fan
December 5th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Which McNeese fans are thinking it will be an easy win? I don't know of any. We have lost every one of our first round playoff games since we went to the NC game in 2002. With that history, I don't think there are that many overconfident McNeese fans out there.

I don't get where you think the McNeese fans are over confident. I think you are just trying to develop an "us against the world" or "we are not being respected" mentality going into the game.

Name some screen names.

Doc

Reading back through, a number are 3rd party fans... but Griff93 and Cardiaccowboy are pretty confident.

Apologies, I was mentally attributing the "MSU will roll straight over them" type comments to McState fans. Conversely, other than Cocky (name says it all), I don't see many overconfident JSU fans. We are just happy to be here!

Big_Fan
December 5th, 2013, 07:37 PM
I was talking about fans other than McNeese and JSU. McNeese has not won a playoff game since 2002

Gotcha, my mistake.

McNeese72
December 5th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Reading back through, a number are 3rd party fans... but Griff93 and Cardiaccowboy are pretty confident.

Apologies, I was mentally attributing the "MSU will roll straight over them" type comments to McState fans. Conversely, other than Cocky (name says it all), I don't see many overconfident JSU fans. We are just happy to be here!

Those guys haven't been around here long. Look at there post counts. If was Giff93's first post. I don't know either one of those guys.

Gray Ghost
December 5th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Here's one Cowboy fan who's not over confident. The last time McNeese hosted playoff game, they were no. 2 seed and heavy favorite. I walked into Cowboy stadium excited and confident, then walked out a couple of hours later older and wiser.

Also, JSU QB appears to be fairly mobile, something we've had a bit trouble with this year. (W. Alabama, SELA, and Lamar come to mind)

Giff93
December 5th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Those guys haven't been around here long. Look at there post counts. If was Giff93's first post. I don't know either one of those guys.
Doc, you are correct, it was indeed my first post. I am the guy that usually reads through everyone's post but never really cared much about joining these forums. I have been to nearly every home game since the mid80's and have held season tots since the mid90's. I have admittedly been frustrated by our post-season performance and decided to chime in like everyone else. I didn't intend my post to appear overly confident, in fact I think it expressed concern over what I think is a lack of preparation entering the playoffs. They only way a team with the talent McNeese has gets blown out in any game is due to a lack of preparation. Just look back at most games against FBS teams and we competed better than most. If we do not come out prepared for this game it could get ugly. I am very confident in our team's abilities but you still have to play the game!

Big_Fan
December 6th, 2013, 12:09 AM
Here's one Cowboy fan who's not over confident. The last time McNeese hosted playoff game, they were no. 2 seed and heavy favorite. I walked into Cowboy stadium excited and confident, then walked out a couple of hours later older and wiser.

Also, JSU QB appears to be fairly mobile, something we've had a bit trouble with this year. (W. Alabama, SELA, and Lamar come to mind)

Bennett is the only one that is comparable to Eli in terms of ability running. Bennett has more yards on the season, but he had 40 more attempts. Eli was only a part-time starter, which is one reason his passing stats are so low. His avg per carry is a bit higher than Bennett, but not a lot. Bennett was a transfer from Oregon and has loads of talent... Eli is a frosh who was playing safety in the spring. He isn't the passing threat Bennett was, but he is a threat to house it from anywhere.

Red & Black
December 6th, 2013, 12:16 AM

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Big_Fan
December 6th, 2013, 12:59 AM
...a note to McNeese fans who will be attending. JSU is serious about Marching Band, but the band JSU is sending to the game is just a 100 member pep band. I wish we were able to send the entire band, but 430+ members is costly. I dunno if any of you like marching bands, but JSU has one of the best college marching bands around (search "marching southerners" on youtube if it interests you).

That said, I am glad we are at least sending 100 players, but it is not the full band.

cardiaccowboy
December 6th, 2013, 01:37 AM
Overly confident? Heck no. I have to think positive. I certainly don't want to go into the game thinking our guys are going to come out like they did against UNI and SLU. I have faith so Cowboys by 2 scores. I'll take a 1 point win though

lionsrking2
December 6th, 2013, 01:47 AM
Bennett is the only one that is comparable to Eli in terms of ability running. Bennett has more yards on the season, but he had 40 more attempts. Eli was only a part-time starter, which is one reason his passing stats are so low. His avg per carry is a bit higher than Bennett, but not a lot. Bennett was a transfer from Oregon and has loads of talent... Eli is a frosh who was playing safety in the spring. He isn't the passing threat Bennett was, but he is a threat to house it from anywhere.

McNeese also faced Tuskani Figaro, 6-3, 215, true freshman, from Nicholls State - rushed for over 1,100 yards this year ... great young player!

MSU_77
December 6th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Based on our disastrous last 3 home playoff losses, I don't think you'll find a single Poke fan who is overconfident. I'm quite sure Matt Viator is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

msupokes1
December 6th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Certainly not over confident here. I do think we have the better team but that does not always translate into a win. McNeese still has to come to play or else we will be sitting home next weekend. JVSU is good enough to win. If they weren't they wouldn't be in the second round of the playoffs. With that being said they would not be the best team we had beat during the year. JVSU is playing good ball right now. they are confident. It will be tough for McNeese but I still think we get it done.

McNeese75
December 6th, 2013, 10:46 AM
McNeese also faced Tuskani Figaro, 6-3, 215, true freshman, from Nicholls State - rushed for over 1,100 yards this year ... great young player!

That is exactly who I though of while watching Eli last weekend

msupokes1
December 6th, 2013, 11:07 AM
That is exactly who I though of while watching Eli last weekend

I was thinking the same thing. Just looked at the stats and they are pretty similar stats wise.

MTfan4life
December 7th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Well that was quick. Jacksonville State up quick with a one play TD after an interception.

Also was assuming the stands would be filled for this one. Do they ever sell out games in the Southland?

FormerPokeCenter
December 7th, 2013, 06:19 PM
It's early, but my Cowboys are looking more like Mr. Hyde than Dr. Jekyll...

Hopefully, the good Doctor is just late getting there...

CPrice91
December 7th, 2013, 06:20 PM
...a note to McNeese fans who will be attending. JSU is serious about Marching Band, but the band JSU is sending to the game is just a 100 member pep band. I wish we were able to send the entire band, but 430+ members is costly. I dunno if any of you like marching bands, but JSU has one of the best college marching bands around (search "marching southerners" on youtube if it interests you).

That said, I am glad we are at least sending 100 players, but it is not the full band.

Wow! I'm probably in the minority on this board in caring about bands, but dang impressive! And JState's football team isn't looking half-bad either.

FormerPokeCenter
December 7th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Well that was quick. Jacksonville State up quick with a one play TD after an interception.

Also was assuming the stands would be filled for this one. Do they ever sell out games in the Southland?

The weather is a factor. This is the first really cold and wet weekend of the winter for us down here in the south...While I know Montanans are laughing at that notion, it makes a difference down here...

MTfan4life
December 7th, 2013, 06:26 PM
The weather is a factor. This is the first really cold and wet weekend of the winter for us down here in the south...While I know Montanans are laughing at that notion, it makes a difference down here...

This is true. I just figured with McNeese having their first home playoff game in a while in a city with a decent football tradition, that they would come out in droves for this one. Especially considering this likely will be the last home game.

Big_Fan
December 7th, 2013, 06:35 PM
anyone have a working stream? firstrow is not working.

FormerPokeCenter
December 7th, 2013, 06:40 PM
ESPN3 is working fine...

Big_Fan
December 7th, 2013, 06:42 PM
ESPN3 is working fine...

That doesn't help if you don't have access to ESPN3.

FormerPokeCenter
December 7th, 2013, 06:44 PM
If you go directly to ESPN3.com, on anything other than a mobile device, you can get the stream....

Big_Fan
December 7th, 2013, 06:49 PM
If you go directly to ESPN3.com, on anything other than a mobile device, you can get the stream....

We are unable to confirm ESPN3
access. Please verify that you are a customer of an ESPN3
affiliated provider.

FormerPokeCenter
December 7th, 2013, 06:57 PM
When I try to go to that on my iPad, I get the same thing...when I go to it on my laptop, it logs me right in and I don't have access to ESPN3....

FormerPokeCenter
December 7th, 2013, 07:19 PM

Big_Fan
December 7th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Jacksonville State's weak defense is looking pretty good so far.

Gotta keep it up. McNeese is dangerous.

BEAR
December 7th, 2013, 07:43 PM
21-0???????? Where's the McNeese that came to Conway?

FormerPokeCenter
December 7th, 2013, 07:49 PM
I'm convinced now that time travel is possible. That's definitely the 2011 Stroud out there.

Big_Fan
December 7th, 2013, 07:51 PM
21-0???????? Where's the McNeese that came to Conway?

They are busy playing the JSU team that beat Samford 55-14.

The game isn't over by any stretch... McNeese is a scary good team. The JSU coaches have their hands full keeping the team focused and not letting up. If we let up like we did with SEMO, McNeese will come back and beat us.

I won't feel comfortable until the final score shows JSU winning.

The Ville
December 7th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Need one more strong half, don't lose focus.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 7th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Dang, I was kinda hoping to see McNeese in Cheney next weekend. Oh well.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 7th, 2013, 08:47 PM
OVC is doing pretty good so far this year.

Prominentwon
December 7th, 2013, 08:54 PM
I went to the game and left at halftime. They are so god awful tonight, that I, for the first time ever, left any sort of football game at halftime.

Listening to the radio guys, they even see what's working and what's not working, yet McNeese continues to try to see if Stroud can throw the ball and he's done nothing but fail miserably.

I'm now on the Viator probably needs to go bandwagon. No adjustments. No changes. Terrible QB. I can not believe how awful Stroud and the OL was tonight.

ElCid
December 7th, 2013, 08:57 PM
I don't think I have seen this many dropped balls by a team (McNeese) in quite a while. Cold? Yes, but still ridiculous.

FormerPokeCenter
December 7th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Congrats to Jacksonville State for playing a great game. Good Luck the rest of the way!

JSU02
December 7th, 2013, 09:30 PM
I really expected more from McNeese. I think the week off hurt them.

FormerPokeCenter
December 7th, 2013, 09:35 PM

We just didn't play well...no focus, no sharpness....we've played like this too often in recent years...particularly against SELA and UNI....

Unfortunately, we've got a tradition of playing like **** early, then coming back late. It's such a prevalent condition that there's even a nickname for it..."The Cardiac Cowboys"....

I'm so ****ing tired of people embracing that nickname...

Just once I wanna hear people refer to us as the Committed Cowboys and to see us prosecute a game successfully from start to finish...

BEAR
December 7th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Well.... the bipolar cowboys showed up... or the bipolar express to go with the holiday season... xlolx

Great year Cowboys! Thanks for repping the SLC in the tournament. You should be proud of that team and the year you've had.

Now onto next year! I see a showdown in Lake Charles... oh wait, we don't play you. SMH. xlolx

Big_Fan
December 7th, 2013, 09:50 PM

I said earlier in the week that playing Samford while McNeese was off would play in our favor.

cardiaccowboy
December 7th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Congrats JSU you guy came out and played a good game. Good luck next week.

McNeese75
December 7th, 2013, 10:26 PM
I went to the game and left at halftime. They are so god awful tonight, that I, for the first time ever, left any sort of football game at halftime.

Listening to the radio guys, they even see what's working and what's not working, yet McNeese continues to try to see if Stroud can throw the ball and he's done nothing but fail miserably.

I'm now on the Viator probably needs to go bandwagon. No adjustments. No changes. Terrible QB. I can not believe how awful Stroud and the OL was tonight.

10-3 and you want his job?? Good luck. xcoffeex

Prominentwon
December 7th, 2013, 10:31 PM
I figured that's the kind of response is get from the few of you regulars.

But sure. 10-3 and a absolute miserable performance in the playoffs year after year after year.

You're going to tell me this team tonight was prepared? This team seem like they were focused AT ALL? This team tonight seem like they were even interested in being out there?

I know you guys take up for the coaching staff, but I said there needs to be changes. No one in particular was said....I said I was off the Viator bandwagon until he can prove himself in the post season. That team looked like absolute hot garbage tonight.

McNeese75
December 7th, 2013, 10:37 PM
I figured that's the kind of response is get from the few of you regulars.

But sure. 10-3 and a absolute miserable performance in the playoffs year after year after year.

You're going to tell me this team tonight was prepared? This team seem like they were focused AT ALL? This team tonight seem like they were even interested in being out there?

I know you guys take up for the coaching staff, but I said there needs to be changes. No one in particular was said....I said I was off the Viator bandwagon until he can prove himself in the post season. That team looked like absolute hot garbage tonight.

I did not say anything about the team tonight. It was a lousy performance but the coaching staff did not throw one of those crappy passes or drop all of those that hit the turf. I did not even see a coach trying to block and prevent those sacks. The team just did not get it done. Kudos to JSU, they came to play.

FormerPokeCenter
December 7th, 2013, 10:46 PM
I saw we opt out of the playoffs and try to find an HBCU with an open date for a Classic Game or something....

That way maybe we can make some money in the post season....

Prominentwon
December 7th, 2013, 10:50 PM
I did not say anything about the team tonight. It was a lousy performance but the coaching staff did not throw one of those crappy passes or drop all of those that hit the turf. I did not even see a coach trying to block and prevent those sacks. The team just did not get it done. Kudos to JSU, they came to play.

I agree with you. There's only so far a coach and his staff can do. The players are involved in executing the plays and game.

But when NOTHING has changed and EVERY playoff performances are identical each year they make it, you have to start looking at who is preparing them. Who is coming up with the gameplan.

Run. Pass. Pass. Run. Pass. Pass. How awful the play selection was tonight. Even the radio guys saw tonight that when Wiltz was in the game, JSU would stack the box and knew what was coming. Bennett was averaging more than 5 yards a pop at one point, but they kept trying to be cute. They kept putting the ball into a QB that has played absolutely awful for the last month or so. They CONTINUE to give him chances and he has completely failed in the last month of this season. He had that comeback @ Lamar, but that first half was terrible. He was terrible vs. SLU and he was terrible vs. UNI.

The coaching staff is the LAST group I go to blame or criticize because, ultimately, it's up to the players to execute. But at this point, looking at similar results in the playoffs recently, it's time to look at the head of the monster.

McNeese75
December 7th, 2013, 11:02 PM
I agree with you. There's only so far a coach and his staff can do. The players are involved in executing the plays and game.

But when NOTHING has changed and EVERY playoff performances are identical each year they make it, you have to start looking at who is preparing them. Who is coming up with the gameplan.

Run. Pass. Pass. Run. Pass. Pass. How awful the play selection was tonight. Even the radio guys saw tonight that when Wiltz was in the game, JSU would stack the box and knew what was coming. Bennett was averaging more than 5 yards a pop at one point, but they kept trying to be cute. They kept putting the ball into a QB that has played absolutely awful for the last month or so. They CONTINUE to give him chances and he has completely failed in the last month of this season. He had that comeback @ Lamar, but that first half was terrible. He was terrible vs. SLU and he was terrible vs. UNI.

The coaching staff is the LAST group I go to blame or criticize because, ultimately, it's up to the players to execute. But at this point, looking at similar results in the playoffs recently, it's time to look at the head of the monster.

Look, I am just as frustrated as you and I don't have an answer. If you have a sure fire improvement for a certain coaching position, PM me so we keep it off this board. If you are not careful, you end up with a JC Harper as the improvement xcoolx

FormerPokeCenter
December 7th, 2013, 11:02 PM

It all boils down to what you want in a program...

I don't know that it's possible to have a football program in Louisiana, with our limited resources, and go head to head with everybody else in the football playing world when it comes to recruiting and try to build a team the way we build it.

We take transfers, sure...but we haven't heretofore prostituted ourselves to do so and we haven't built a team that way.

Do we want to continue to do it the "right" way, or do we want to throw the doors wide open for any and all transfers, throwing under the bus those kids who've decided to come to McNeese from the get go?

Everybody recruits Louisiana and SE Texas, our geographic footprint and we don't have the budget to recruit much past that...

We recruit good kids, we have a good APR, we have a solid program most years...Matt's a loyal guy who rewards coaching staff and player loyalty and longevity...

Cody's a senior, so he got the benefit of the doubt over the course of the season, just like Jacob Bower got the benefit of the doubt his senior year, even though he was a transfer...

Personally, I'd like to see Matt exhibit more of a willingness to sit somebody who's not producing, but there's a reason Matt's the head coach at McNeese and I'm employed in another field...

I'm frustrated as hell, too. Dunno what the answer is, but unless Matt decides to take another job, there's no way in hell that 10-3 causes him to lose his job...

McNeese75
December 7th, 2013, 11:33 PM
I don't think I have seen this many dropped balls by a team (McNeese) in quite a while. Cold? Yes, but still ridiculous.

I remember a playoff game against Umass (the year they beat GSU in the Natty) that might rival tonight in dropped passes.

Cocky
December 7th, 2013, 11:41 PM

Wasn't too bad off on my prediction.

Big_Fan
December 7th, 2013, 11:59 PM
Imagine how we JSU fans have felt for the past 10 (or even 20) years.

JSU was a D2 power. We were a fixture in the national title game. We beat Alcorn State with McNair and were able to hang with or beat many D1AA teams. Even when we lost a game, it was usually a close, contested battle.

We had owned our rival Troy State for a considerable amount of time. We watched as they moved up to D1AA, and we followed.... but our administration tried to do it on the cheap. Our program collapsed under the weight of a D2 recruiting budget and underpaid coaches. We only managed to get 10 games as a transition program in 1993 (6 on the road against strong 1AA teams). We improved some in spite of the lack of money, but in 1997 we collapsed to 1-9. The administration decided that a VERY successful D2 coach had become stupid overnight and fired him, choosing to replace him with possibly the worst head coach to ever grace the sideline of a D1AA program. After he proved to be inept, he was fired 1/3rd of the way through his 3rd season.

The AD at JSU wouldn't fire Jack Crowe. It was like he had compromising photos of someone in high places. He was suspended for insubordination a few years into his tenure... he benefitted from a move to the OVC and feasting on a conference that was really bad when we moved to it. We won the OVC in 2003 after losing to a D2 team. The conference began to improve (in large part because we were in it), and he was no longer as successful. We were blown out in the playoffs as the OVC rep, and then we didn't even make the playoffs anymore... but he kept his job. He always had this "plan." Crowe ingratiated himself with influential people and rode his early success in spite of his more recent failures... he would bring in some D1A superstar who had been kicked off the team and ride him. His best team ever was 2009 but they couldn't make the playoffs because of Academic APR probation. The game against Ole Miss in 2010 was wonderful, but if you watch it, Crowe seemed disinterested until he realized that we could win - then he started coaching. The players + bad coaching by Houston Nutt is why we won that game. Later in the season we were in position to win the OVC and up over a terrible Tennessee Tech team 24-7 with 12 minutes left in the 4th quarter. TTU scored 28 points in the final 12 minutes to win the game. A near identical scenario happened AGAIN in 2011. We were in position to get a playoff bid and maybe win the conference outright... leading EKU 48-24 with 7 minutes left, Crowe pulled the starters and EKU scored 28 points in 7 minutes to win. The DC caught the blame and was replaced. In 2012 a team loaded with seniors went 6-5... and gave up more points than the previous season.

Over the past 20 years we watched as Troy did well in 1AA and moved up to D1A. Teams like Wofford (who we beat 51-7 in 1991) moved up and made deep playoff runs. We ended North Dakota State's season in the 1989 playoffs and they moved up to became a 1AA power. The Crowe supporter mantra of "10 straight winning seasons" (after taking over a losing program) rang pretty hollow when you consider that 4 of the past 8 were 6-5 - and 0 playoff wins. The most recent playoff loss was 14-17 to that Wofford team we destroyed at D2 - a home game we should have won.

We got a new Athletics Director in 2011, and he wasn't baffled by Crowe's bullcrap. Much to the chagrin of a lot of Crowe supporters (most notably the JSU beatwriter from the local newspaper), Warren Koegel fired Crowe after the 2012 season.

The hire was a former Alabama high school coach who was incredibly successful before taking the Defensive Coordinator job at upstart U. of South Alabama. All season the Crowe sect has been throwing barbs at the "high school coach," any time we played below what they deemed to be expected. Nevermind it was a totally new system with a totally new coaching staff...nevermind that the new staff had to flush the culture of "mediocrity is acceptable" out of the players' systems. They have criticized him at every turn.

Now we have 11 wins and 2 playoff wins.

Even if we don't win another game, what Clark has done this season borders on miraculous. We have an undersized team with oversized hearts. Yeah, the loss to Murray stunk and we had some close calls to mediocre teams and a good D2 team early on...getting blown out by EIU was painful. Still, most Gamecock fans are really happy with Clark's first season. Had we beaten TSU and Murray, we still would have lost to EIU. Even without a conference title, it has to rank as our most successful since moving up.

The Ville
December 8th, 2013, 12:08 AM
I don't hang around with many of the 'fans' that apparently refer to our coach as the high school coach because they tend to be distant fans (perhaps fareweather) but honestly is it a problem, that's where several get their start and I believe one in particular down on the Plains just led his team to the BCS title game while admittedly running the exact same offense he did then.

Big_Fan
December 8th, 2013, 12:19 AM
I don't hang around with many of the 'fans' that apparently refer to our coach as the high school coach because they tend to be distant fans (perhaps fareweather) but honestly is it a problem, that's where several get their start and I believe one in particular down on the Plains just led his team to the BCS title game while admittedly running the exact same offense he did then.

It isn't that they are distant or even fairweather... they are still enamored with Crowe.

I had zero problem with a former HS coach... heck, my #2 choice (or even co #1) was Steve Smith from Piedmont. I was thrilled when Clark was hired, while the Crowe fanboys were crying foul that we didn't make a "home run hire" worthy of firing such a great coach as Crowe.

I didn't even mention the worst part about Crowe - the interviews where he rambled on about Auburn and Bo and his unfair treatment at Arkansas, without ever mentioning or promoting JSU. I am really glad we have a coach who is an alumnus and WANTS to be at JSU.

It would help if the local paper was pro-JSU.

DrStrangelove
December 8th, 2013, 01:25 AM
To follow up on a few things posted by The Ville and BigFan:

Had Bill Burgess not coached JSU to the 1992 Division II national title, he would have been let go at the end of the season. With the transition looming, the JSU policy makers were not confident Burgess's D2 success would translate into I-AA victories. That came from as close to an impeccable source as there is: a former employee of the Gadsden Times sports department who regularly covered Gamecock football.

Remember that Burgess took JSU to a 7-4 season in 1995, only to see the program crater in 1996, which included a loss to Division II West Georgia in the season opener. And it was not just the on-the-field product that did Burgess in. He was bitterly opposed to moving up and was unwilling to do any glad-handing or fund raising. Again, my earlier, impeccable source gave me that info. So the assertion that the JSU administration fired "a VERY successful D2 coach (who it believed) had become stupid overnight" is a gross oversimplification of the facts.

You'll get no argument that Burgess' successor was an across-the-board failure, although he left of his own accord following a locker room meltdown at halftime of the Samford game in 1999. And you will get no argument that Jack Crowe had long since surpassed his sell-by date when he was relieved of his duties almost one year ago. But, and I will speak frankly hear so be prepared to be offended, anyone who believes Crowe did more harm than good as head coach knows nothing about the game of football or anything about the JSU football program.

Gamecock football was on the brink when Crowe was hired in 1999 and he not only pulled it away from the edge but managed to be competitive in the OVC with limited resources. It wasn't merely his close friendship with people like Jim Coxwell and Red Etheride that kept the wolves away from his door. It was also the cold reality that the university didn't have the money to buy him out and pay enough to find someone who could do a better job. But after squandering all the momentum from 2010 by not winning a home playoff game and then missing the postseason altogether, Crowe gave his employer no choice: a change had to be made.

Understand this: I am a Bill Clark fan. I am a Bill Clark sycophant. I drank the Bill Clark kool-aid after the first home game and came back for seconds and thirds. I have met the man, shook hands with him, had my picture taken with him. I have talked to people who know him personally from his playing days at Piedmont. There is zero doubt in my mind that what we have seen in season 1 is just the beginning. Having said all that, simply writing off any criticism of his hiring in the beginning as sour grapes from the Jack Crowe fanclub is embarassingly myopic. Clark had never been a college head coach and his college coaching experience was as a defensive coordinator at an FBS start-up. Wondering whether landing Clark was a case of picking low-hanging fruit was a valid question at the time, one he has answered many times over, including in the game to which this thread is devoted.

Oh, and by the way, for the love of God, take your head out of your a$$ and stop complaining that the local media isn't being positive enough in its coverage. The best you should expect is for it to be accurate and fair. I've met the beat writer before and he's an insufferable human being. But he does an adequate job of covering JSU, considering the university shares the market with two SEC schools that suck all the oxygen out of the room. If he hasn't been accurate and fair, please cite some examples. If the best you can offer is, "he's not pro-JSU" then you don't know anything about journalism, either.

Big_Fan
December 8th, 2013, 05:04 AM
To follow up on DrStrange...

It is easier to make gross oversimplifications than to go into sordid details about events from 20 years ago that might be seen as an attempt at attacking an individual from that era. Your post contains some material that is approximately accurate, but not entirely. Your source as a writer for the Gadsden Times circa early 90's is interesting, because JSU coverage by the Gadsden paper during that period was quite sparse. While the Times has never had a large circulation, the Burgess era was concurrent with the purchase of the paper by NYT, and JSU was not very high on the list of news worth covering. The Times has improved under Halifax. I doubt the writer in question had much in the way of real contacts within the university... at least, any that would trump trustees. I certainly don't recall the Gadsden Newsroom having a beat writer in 1992. I am not saying that someone didn't have the title, but I don't recall who it was.

You are correct that Burgess was not one to enjoy glad-handing. He could be rather terse, however there was no open discussions about replacing him if he didn't win the NC in 1992 - that is simply inaccurate. Discussions of that nature did arise during the following season, and understandably so, as the transition record was 3 up and 7 down. I (and many others) maintain that funding was the primary problem. The staff at JSU during those years was not FCS caliber, and our budget was not conducive to hiring anyone with better credentials. They were operating on a D2 budget, and recruiting Calhoun county exclusively (hyperbole) won't cut it.

You are incorrect about Burgess' successor's resignation. He had use the "threaten to quit" tactic in the dressing room before the Samford game, and had been admonished for it. When he did it again, leaving was the only choice he was left with... at least, that is the story from people who would know the story.

I like your use of italics with "It wasn't merely," because it underscores the fact that those relationships were part of what kept Crowe in Jacksonville. The University could have fired Crowe with cause any number of times - without buyout. Getting suspended for insubordination often leads to that. A coach does not have carte blanche to act however he chooses, but they chose not to fire him. Crowe did some good things at JSU (primarily in the area of "things Burgess was bad at"), but the "on the brink" comment is gross exaggeration. Had JSU not moved from the Southland to the OVC, he likely would have been fired because the turnaround was aided (if not totally enabled) by a significant drop in the level of competition. JSU entered the OVC the year after Roy Kidd retired, and his successor was not nearly as good. WKU had exited in 2000. Murray and EIU were co-champs in 2002 with 7-5 and 8-4 records respectfully, and both finished with 4 win seasons in 2003. SEMO was a losing program; UT-M and TTU had 4 wins COMBINED in 2003, and APSU lost to Campbellsville and Valpo that year. The OVC during the early 2000's was not simply bad, it was horrific. To posture that Crowe orchestrated a massive turnaround from Southland whipping post to OVC power is either intellectually dishonest, or indicative of a profound lack of knowledge about the game of football. While you pointed out that Burgess lost to a D2 school in the great collapse of 1996, you forgot that Crowe lost to a D2 program during the great turnaround of 2003. I would assert that If you dropped the 1992 Gamecocks in the 2003 OVC, they would have won the conference. The bottom line is, the OVC improved over time. The Crowe led Gamecocks didn't. Perriloux elevated the team to 8 & 9 wins, and the 2010 & 2011 teams had some great players - it is a shame that the coaching didn't match their talent level because the 2010-2012 teams had playoff run talent level.

I am glad you like Bill Clark. You are communicating right now with someone who knew him when he played at Piedmont - and when he coached there. The low hanging fruit question may have been valid when the hire was made, however there are a number of Crowe hangers-on who were dragging out "high school coach" comments as recently as the SEMO game.

Accurate and fair hardly describes the local media coverage. It is generally accurate, and some of the writers can be fair. The man you describe as an insufferable human has asked absurd questions regarding Clark, going so far as to suggest making a records request to review his medical condition that prevented him from playing college football. Maybe I don't know anything about journalism...If you know something about journalism regarding the difference in documentarian, capsular, and editorial authoring, then I would imagine that you find reading the beat columns particularly interesting. To me it seems that the way they move from documentarian when the results are positive, to editorial when the results are less than positive, gives the appearance of agenda riddled writing. His articles were worse early in the season, but maintained that slant throughout the year. Perhaps you disagree and feel that writers can say whatever they want without criticism, but I feel that the media unchecked can be a destructive force. I have never published anything without expecting it to be critiqued or criticized. What I find particularly interesting regarding this author, is that tonight I made a post that was critical of the game story. A couple hours later the article had be re-edited with the issues I commented on being addressed. Perhaps he read my post...or maybe he is having a change of heart and Coach Clark is growing on him. A beat writer is, under most circumstances, not unbiased. He should be pro-whatever his program is. They are meant to have a homerish spin on their writing, because their target audience is the fan base, and their positive spin buys them privileged "insider" status among the media. Cecil Hurt is a great example of how to handle that job. He is as homer as it gets, but he is critical when it is warranted. He earns that right in his writing by knowing when and how to bend his journalistic license on each end of the spectrum. A documentarian or capsular author doesn't have that right and doesn't have the access of a beat writer. Perhaps he would be better suited to write capsules. Finally, about 85% of Americans have the internet. By the time the Anniston Star hits the stands, every Alabama and Auburn fan will have read countless articles online about their games - ESPN, CNNSI, Sportsline, Scout, Rivals, 247... The Anniston Star is a niche newspaper in a niche market. It would be better served to pay more attention to the local community. Increasing local college (in this case JSU) coverage would sell more papers than increasing coverage of UA and AU. That is a fact that many papers in similar markets have realized.

...and I wrote all that without coming across as a pompous blow-hard, or insulting you, or telling you to take your head out of your...

Twentysix
December 8th, 2013, 05:14 AM
Toghether you two just wrote the first chapter of a book. Sheesh.

Cocky
December 8th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Our coach still catches some hell on the gojaxstate.com board about once coaching in high school.
The local writer worshipped Crowe (or so it seemed) and has a hard on for Clark.
Crowe had some very loyal supporters and many were long time school supporters would were and still are pissed the news of his firing came to them after the fact.
Now its a little time for I told you so from the anti-Crowe crowd.

I wished I had their writing ability.

TigerFen
December 8th, 2013, 07:09 AM
I am very impressed with Jacksonville State Defense against McNeese State. They may be one of the top two or three defenses left in the playoffs. They can force turnovers and make you pay with touchdowns. I think they may be the Dark Horse remaining in the playoffs.

Skyhawk71
December 8th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Congrats to the Gamecocks.........huge win, I don't feel so bad about that beat down you handed out in Martin now.............Good Luck in the Quarterfinals

rokamortis
December 8th, 2013, 07:29 AM
We got a new Athletics Director in 2011, and he wasn't baffled by Crowe's bullcrap. Much to the chagrin of a lot of Crowe supporters (most notably the JSU beatwriter from the local newspaper), Warren Koegel fired Crowe after the 2012 season.

The hire was a former Alabama high school coach who was incredibly successful before taking the Defensive Coordinator job at upstart U. of South Alabama. All season the Crowe sect has been throwing barbs at the "high school coach," any time we played below what they deemed to be expected. Nevermind it was a totally new system with a totally new coaching staff...nevermind that the new staff had to flush the culture of "mediocrity is acceptable" out of the players' systems. They have criticized him at every turn.

Now we have 11 wins and 2 playoff wins.

Even if we don't win another game, what Clark has done this season borders on miraculous. We have an undersized team with oversized hearts. Yeah, the loss to Murray stunk and we had some close calls to mediocre teams and a good D2 team early on...getting blown out by EIU was painful. Still, most Gamecock fans are really happy with Clark's first season. Had we beaten TSU and Murray, we still would have lost to EIU. Even without a conference title, it has to rank as our most successful since moving up.

Interesting story - and similar to what Coastal has gone through. Fairly new AD, fired well liked coach (David Bennett) that wasn't getting it done, unpopular decision in the community and media, unconventional or at least unpopular hire (ours was extremely unconventional), win in playoffs. The connecting piece is Moose Koegal was at Coastal prior to JSU and is the one that hired Bennett.

Glad to see you guys (and Moose) doing well and doing your part to squash the OVC negativity that has built up over time.

caribbeanhen
December 8th, 2013, 07:33 AM
a bit surprising that McNeese didn't show up for the game, thought it would be a good one

Cocky
December 8th, 2013, 07:45 AM
a bit surprising that McNeese didn't show up for the game, thought it would be a good one
May have more to do with JSU having a good game plan. Our staff has out coached the last two opposing staffs. Plus our players are buying into the total defense system.

TTUEagles
December 8th, 2013, 08:01 AM
I wished I had their writing ability.

I'm personally glad that you don't...:)

caribbeanhen
December 8th, 2013, 08:22 AM

xbowx bout half way thru I said self, ytf are you reading this...xlolx

sharkeycox
December 8th, 2013, 09:26 AM

Yup, McNeese has not shown up for a big game since 2002. Jax State won handily. Well coached and deserved the victory.

sharkeycox
December 8th, 2013, 09:32 AM
It all boils down to what you want in a program...

I don't know that it's possible to have a football program in Louisiana, with our limited resources, and go head to head with everybody else in the football playing world when it comes to recruiting and try to build a team the way we build it.

We take transfers, sure...but we haven't heretofore prostituted ourselves to do so and we haven't built a team that way.

Do we want to continue to do it the "right" way, or do we want to throw the doors wide open for any and all transfers, throwing under the bus those kids who've decided to come to McNeese from the get go?

Everybody recruits Louisiana and SE Texas, our geographic footprint and we don't have the budget to recruit much past that...

We recruit good kids, we have a good APR, we have a solid program most years...Matt's a loyal guy who rewards coaching staff and player loyalty and longevity...

Cody's a senior, so he got the benefit of the doubt over the course of the season, just like Jacob Bower got the benefit of the doubt his senior year, even though he was a transfer...

Personally, I'd like to see Matt exhibit more of a willingness to sit somebody who's not producing, but there's a reason Matt's the head coach at McNeese and I'm employed in another field...

I'm frustrated as hell, too. Dunno what the answer is, but unless Matt decides to take another job, there's no way in hell that 10-3 causes him to lose his job...

I agree Jay. I think one of our biggest problems has already been solved in the hiring of a new AD. The only uneducated comment I can make is......if Matt is still calling the plays .....he needs to let someone else do it.

Prominentwon
December 8th, 2013, 09:34 AM
May have more to do with JSU having a good game plan. Our staff has out coached the last two opposing staffs. Plus our players are buying into the total defense system.

First. Congrats on the game. Those kids wanted it more.

But he's right. McNeese didn't show up at all for this game.

Prominentwon
December 8th, 2013, 09:35 AM

First. Congrats on the game. Those kids wanted it more.

But he's right. McNeese didn't show up at all for this game. Not trying to take credit away from JSU at all. But looks can be deceiving when the opposing team doesn't even want to be out there.

Good luck at EWU

Big_Fan
December 8th, 2013, 10:07 AM
xbowx bout half way thru I said self, ytf are you reading this...xlolx

What a coincidence... I got halfway through writing it and asked myself, why are you writing this?

dgtw
December 8th, 2013, 10:16 AM
I was not a fan of Crowe and agree he need to go. He seemed to be a 6/7 win a year coach at best. The Ole Miss game bought him some time and was surprised he got fired last year. I am not privy to all the behind the scenes deals with him.

While we did have a better record this year, replacing Arkansas and Florida with UNA and Georgia State would help anyone's record. Though I can see Crowe finding a way to lose both those games, along with Alabama State.

Clark has had a good first year, but let's not start calling it Burgess-Snow-Clark Field quite yet.

Cocky
December 8th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Some people did not like the Clark hire and even with success will not give him credit.
Crowe did have a different schedule but did have a decade+ of college head coaching experience. I fully believe our team would lose one if starting the season today.

Haven't heard anyone proposing a name change just some enjoying a little success.

I have no ill feeling toward Jack (talk to him quite often) but it was time for a change. Jack is happy with his present situation and his beloved Tigers are winning.

McNeese75
December 8th, 2013, 12:03 PM

No Sh%T xlolx I took one look at their posts and said screw that, I'll wait for the movie.

McNeese75
December 8th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Some people did not like the Clark hire and even with success will not give him credit.
Crowe did have a different schedule but did have a decade+ of college head coaching experience. I fully believe our team would lose one if starting the season today.

Haven't heard anyone proposing a name change just some enjoying a little success.

I have no ill feeling toward Jack (talk to him quite often) but it was time for a change. Jack is happy with his present situation and his beloved Tigers are winning.

I was happy for your program with Crowe was fired. I was NOT a fan but I was sure wishing he was back on the sideline last night xnodx

Big_Fan
December 8th, 2013, 12:20 PM
I was happy for your program with Crowe was fired. I was NOT a fan but I was sure wishing he was back on the sideline last night xnodx

The fact that conference rivals wanted us to keep him speaks volumes as well...

FormerPokeCenter
December 8th, 2013, 12:27 PM
The fact that conference rivals wanted us to keep him speaks volumes as well...

Technically, for us to have been conference rivals, you'd have had to win more! And, yes, I think that speaks to your point ;)

Big_Fan
December 8th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Technically, for us to have been conference rivals, you'd have had to win more! And, yes, I think that speaks to your point ;)

I was speaking more to OVC. EKU fans were crushed when we fired Jack.

dgtw
December 8th, 2013, 01:06 PM

If Crowe were still the coach, you would not have been playing Jax State last night.

McNeese75
December 8th, 2013, 02:10 PM
If Crowe were still the coach, you would not have been playing Jax State last night.

:D Good point.

The Ville
December 8th, 2013, 09:12 PM
If Crowe were coach, our QB last night would still be a backup safety and Shortell wouldn't have transferred in.

Cocky
December 8th, 2013, 10:42 PM
But he coached Bo Jackson.

colonelblitz
December 22nd, 2013, 11:34 AM
I was speaking more to OVC. EKU fans were crushed when we fired Jack. OH the pain .........