PDA

View Full Version : Furman @ North Dakota State University

Pages : 1 2 [3]

hypercycloid
December 4th, 2013, 07:32 PM
FU didn't win App's titles. FU didn't win GSU's titles. You won your 1. NDSU won 2.

The Bison are 4-0 against the SoCon so who cares how many titles your conference has won?

His point was that Furman fans are used to opposing fan bases being arrogant because our conference mates, who we play every year, have been very successful in recent history. Why is that hard to understand?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 4th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Wow...just wow. I wonder if you'll disappear as quick as Chattownmocs when the Bison don't have this run going anymore.

You could too...you know, contribute instead of endlessly bitching about everything I say or do.

So you hate my politics. Big deal. Ignore.

robsnotes4u
December 4th, 2013, 09:08 PM
You could too...you know, contribute instead of endlessly bitching about everything I say or do.

So you hate my politics. Big deal. Ignore.

I hope you are aware that acting up like you do on here does not make up for all the times you received an *** kicking as a kid.

They should charge you for the useless bandwidth you waste.

I am not a Bison fan, but I am embarrassed for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NoDak 4 Ever
December 4th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Anyone who dislikes me is free to ignore. Now can we PLEASE GET BACK TO TALKING ABOUT ****ING FOOTBALL?

DJKyR0
December 4th, 2013, 09:29 PM
We always bring out the best in other fan bases.

NDSU 35
FU 17

stonemd
December 4th, 2013, 09:52 PM
What does this mean??? I dont understand.xconfusedx
This was a response to the claim that coastal would be achallenge for ndsu but furman wouldn't. And I have learned from this forum that no one is challenge for ndsu.

Twentysix
December 4th, 2013, 10:01 PM
This was a response to the claim that coastal would be achallenge for ndsu but furman wouldn't. And I have learned from this forum that no one is challenge for ndsu.

"No one is challenge" for your grammar either.

http://img.pandawhale.com/27811-no-petting-the-grump-kYsE.gif

Am I doing it right?

Bison56
December 4th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Who says you cant learn stuff on AGS? xthumbsupx

Twentysix
December 4th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Who says you cant learn stuff on AGS.

You should teach him about which part of his sentence is missing the article.

eaglewraith
December 4th, 2013, 10:43 PM
This thread is pretty weak. We were at like 300 pages by Wed the last 2 years weren't we? Come on Furman, got a long way to go.

Twentysix
December 4th, 2013, 10:47 PM
This thread is pretty weak. We were at like 300 pages by Wed the last 2 years weren't we? Come on Furman, got a long way to go.

But gsu has like 10 fans on AGS for every furman fan... even with this infusion of inactive decembrists.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 4th, 2013, 11:18 PM
But gsu has like 10 fans on AGS for every furman fan... even with this infusion of inactive decembrists.

and they actually have something to talk about. Just like the Woffy fans last year, everybody but GSU and ASU complains about our confidence.

Vitojr130
December 5th, 2013, 12:09 AM
Holy crap this thread is starting to have it all. Where's chattownmocs? Oh wait that's right he leaves once the playoffs start. xlolx

If you don't go full chatty, you'll have a chance at the natty!

It's going to catch, I promise. Spread the word

Vitojr130
December 5th, 2013, 12:12 AM
You've been to four Super Bowls. The Browns have been to 0. Hopefully our boy Felton blocking for Peterson will help y'all get back there soon.

But the thing is that the Browns are CONSISTENTLY disappointing. The Vikings like to tease and that is what makes it hurt more. We get our expectations built up only to be crushed, where as the Browns just simply don't have that build up. For example, I was fully expecting the Vikings to be somewhat decent this year since we had a spark towards the end of last season.

How wrong I was.

Vitojr130
December 5th, 2013, 12:21 AM

To be fair, we had the help of Lakes and his poo-flinging capabilities back then

Twentysix
December 5th, 2013, 12:41 AM
If you don't go full chatty, you'll have a chance at the natty!

It's going to catch, I promise. Spread the word

+1 for your chill flow. (and one for the rhyme too)

PaladinFan
December 5th, 2013, 04:47 AM
His point was that Furman fans are used to opposing fan bases being arrogant because our conference mates, who we play every year, have been very successful in recent history. Why is that hard to understand?

I didn't realize I had to simplify everything for this crowd.

CID1990
December 5th, 2013, 07:19 AM
It was humor, do uptight Methodists not get humor?

It appears you are about as informed about Furman as you are about everything else you comment on

FUGameBreaker
December 5th, 2013, 07:20 AM
From what I have seen on tape of NDSU I am not at all impressed, bottom line is NDSU will be over-matched at every position on the field all game long this Saturday, that little dome is gonna get real quite pretty quick, easy win for the Paladins by double digits at least, maybe even triple digits!

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 07:40 AM
It appears you are about as informed about Furman as you are about everything else you comment on

Only 3 days before we eliminate the SoCon and South Carolina again and you guys can all go crawl back into your holes for the winter. Jeez.

So I guess I get all you little private colleges mixed up.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 5th, 2013, 07:57 AM
From what I have seen on tape of NDSU I am not at all impressed, bottom line is NDSU will be over-matched at every position on the field all game long this Saturday, that little dome is gonna get real quite pretty quick, easy win for the Paladins by double digits at least, maybe even triple digits!

Lol....good laugh out of this.

In all seriousness...the Bison are going to roll this team.

38-10

SCPALADIN
December 5th, 2013, 08:03 AM
But the thing is that the Browns are CONSISTENTLY disappointing. The Vikings like to tease and that is what makes it hurt more. We get our expectations built up only to be crushed, where as the Browns just simply don't have that build up. For example, I was fully expecting the Vikings to be somewhat decent this year since we had a spark towards the end of last season.

How wrong I was.

We've had our share of "build-ups", especially in the mid-late 80's (the Drive, the Fumble). No doubt, the Browns are a Factory of Sadness. I expected the Vikings to at least compete for 2nd place in the NFC North. Then the Browns beat them in week 3 to fall to 0-3 and I figured it was another lost season. One thing is for certain...both teams have QB issues. We may be starting our 21st QB since 1999 on Sunday.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Lol....good laugh out of this.

In all seriousness...the Bison are going to roll this team.

38-10

I don't know how to predict the score on this one. They are only +9 in overall point differential whereas NDSU is +281.

I think you're pretty close, Carson is in at QB in the 4th qtr for sure.

Winindy
December 5th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Your fans are no different than App, GSU, and formerly Marshall fans over the years.

Hard to believe, but this is nothing new to fan bases in the SoCon. SoCon programs have had 12 national titles since the division started in 1978. Teams from the SoCon hold roughly 40% of all the FCS/I-AA titles that have ever been won.

I don't mean this flippantly, but we're used to it.

Let's not get too proud. Only one by a team that's actually in the conference. A lot of history has left with those teams. Of the schools still competing in FCS, I think the MVC leads the pack with 6 or 7 national titles to the Southern conference's 1.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 5th, 2013, 08:14 AM
I don't know how to predict the score on this one. They are only +9 in overall point differential whereas NDSU is +281.

I think you're pretty close, Carson is in at QB in the 4th qtr for sure.

Agree.

After watching Furman play they are a decent team but not even close to the Bison. Their defense and offense are mediocre or a little better at best. The Bison defense really matches up well against this type of offense and the Bison offense is too well rounded for the Furman defense.

Bison beat down!!!!!!

PaladinFan
December 5th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Let's not get too proud. Only one by a team that's actually in the conference. A lot of history has left with those teams. Of the schools still competing in FCS, I think the MVC leads the pack with 6 or 7 national titles to the Southern conference's 1.

Again, the point is not to point to titles. The point is to say that our fan base (as with all SoCon fan bases) have dealt with arrogant and confident fans.

The grandiose statements made by some on here are no different than the baseless conjectures we dealt with for years by other fanbases. You notice that all of the GSU and App State fans that were so obnoxious in the preseason pretty much well shut up by the end of the year.

Bison56
December 5th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Just went full chattown with that post.

FUGameBreaker
December 5th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Just went full chattown with that post.

No dude, I went full NDSU fan base with that post!!

Furman will roll NDSU!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 5th, 2013, 08:32 AM

Furman will roll NDSU!!

Lay off the drugs bud!

Furman would have finished 4th or 5th in the Valley.

AmsterBison
December 5th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Lay off the drugs bud!

Furman would have finished 4th or 5th in the Valley.

Maybe, but they are peaking at the right time.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 5th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Waiting in the Houston airport to Fargo....sporting my Bison garb.

Go Bison

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe, but they are peaking at the right time.

Good...bring their A game.

robsnotes4u
December 5th, 2013, 09:04 AM

Well Furman is good. You don't understand the Bison unless you see them in person. I was at the UNI game. UNI was a phenomenal team. The Bison had them crawling off the field at the end. Very Physical.

I think a SELA, Towson, or EIU are teams that can defeat them.

Btw, I am not a die hard fan of the Bison, i will cheer for them at times, but I respect what they do.

Hopefully you come out in one piece

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hammerhead
December 5th, 2013, 09:13 AM
The Bison also had K-State physically worn out at the end even though they have more scholarships.

Well Furman is good. You don't understand the Bison unless you see them in person. I was at the UNI game. UNI was a phenomenal team. The Bison had them crawling off the field at the end. Very Physical.

maine612
December 5th, 2013, 09:13 AM

Btw, I am not a die hard fan of the Bison, i will cheer for them at times, but I respect what they do.

I'll sound like a homer here...but I think Maine can beat NDSU 2 out of 10 times simply because they are smart, tough, and don't make mistakes. If Maine could force a couple of turnovers, its possible. And Maine plays a very very very methodical game, winding down the playclock every play, moving the chains. There are fewer plays in a Maine game which keeps scores lower. It is conceivable for Maine to walk out with a 21-17 type win. Not likely, but possible.

bisonboone11
December 5th, 2013, 09:14 AM

And I believe that was with NDSU missing 2 or 3 starters on the offensive line.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 09:16 AM
I'll sound like a homer here...but I think Maine can beat NDSU 2 out of 10 times simply because they are smart, tough, and don't make mistakes. If Maine could force a couple of turnovers, its possible. And Maine plays a very very very methodical game, winding down the playclock every play, moving the chains. There are fewer plays in a Maine game which keeps scores lower. It is conceivable for Maine to walk out with a 21-17 type win. Not likely, but possible.

Huh. That's what NDSU does. So Maine would be playing right into NDSU's game.

robsnotes4u
December 5th, 2013, 09:16 AM

Haven't watched a Maine game, probably only team I haven't watched at least 2 -3 games of. So can't really cooment. One of my wife's colleague's was the mascot there. We go around when it is Maine versus Sioux in Hockey.

They sound good, and it us only one game

bisonboone11
December 5th, 2013, 09:17 AM
We've had our share of "build-ups", especially in the mid-late 80's (the Drive, the Fumble). No doubt, the Browns are a Factory of Sadness. I expected the Vikings to at least compete for 2nd place in the NFC North. Then the Browns beat them in week 3 to fall to 0-3 and I figured it was another lost season. One thing is for certain...both teams have QB issues. We may be starting our 21st QB since 1999 on Sunday.
You should check out this article if you haven't seen it before. It is pretty comical (a little lengthy though). It gives the author's opinion on the most tortured franchises in all of sports. He has the Browns at #4, and the Vikings at #2.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100129

maine612
December 5th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Huh. That's what NDSU does. So Maine would be playing right into NDSU's game.

I think it would be a hell of a game....hope it happens.

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Turnovers are always the great equalizer. There are plenty of teams that can beat the Bison if they can force enough turnovers and take care of it themselves but it's easier said than done to go out and be +2 or better in turnover margin against a very good team.

maine612
December 5th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Turnovers are always the great equalizer. There are plenty of teams that can beat the Bison if they can force enough turnovers and take care of it themselves but it's easier said than done to go out and be +2 or better in turnover margin against a very good team.

Agreed. All fair points. its why Maine would win maybe only 2 of 10. NDSU > Maine.

SCPALADIN
December 5th, 2013, 09:35 AM
You should check out this article if you haven't seen it before. It is pretty comical (a little lengthy though). It gives the author's opinion on the most tortured franchises in all of sports. He has the Browns at #4, and the Vikings at #2.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100129

Appreciate the link. I've scanned it and will read it over lunch...yeah it's lengthy. The really sad thing about the list is that the other two Cleveland sports franchises are also listed in the top 10; #5 (Indians) and #10 (Cavaliers). We are hands-down the most down and out (dare I say cursed?) sports city in the country. We have great die-hard fans, though.

SCPALADIN
December 5th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Appreciate the link. I've scanned it and will read it over lunch...yeah it's lengthy. The really sad thing about the list is that the other two Cleveland sports franchises are also listed in the top 10; #5 (Indians) and #10 (Cavaliers). We are hands-down the most down and out (dare I say cursed?) sports city in the country. We have great die-hard fans, though.

...and since the list was compiled pre-Lebron's departure, the Cavaliers would undoubtedly be higher than #10 now.

Sorry...back to football.

Southern Bison
December 5th, 2013, 09:52 AM

Furman will roll NDSU!!

FUGB, I've been in the stands at Greenville & Orangeburg to watch what Furman put on the field. What Bruce Fowler has recruited and developed is a program of smart, level-headed football on both sides of the ball. Furman players & fans should enjoy the extra weeks of practice & playoff experience to use as building blocks for 2014 & 2015. I fully expect to see Furman win the SoCon and make some real noise in the playoffs over the next 2 years as the youthfulness of today turns into experienced & smart players.

I also catch every Bison game via internet or cable sports channel or in person. As I said to OL FU, Sir William, & even players' parents after the playoff win, the Paladins are simply going up against a juggernaut unlike anything they've seen this season (perhaps LSU). Furman reminds me alot of the 2010 Bison where we made a little noise in the playoffs after sneaking into them in the 1st place. Is a win over the Bison possible? As long as Furman takes the field, anything is possible. Is it likely? Nope. NDSU has talent & leadership that have been working for these next 5 weeks since they set foot on campus years ago. They have seen what they are capable of accomplishing and those 24 seniors plan on going out as 3-peat National Champions.

Piece of advice: Don't become the Furple's ND4E or Chattownmocs or Texas.

BisonBacker
December 5th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Wow...just wow. I wonder if you'll disappear as quick as Chattownmocs when the Bison don't have this run going anymore.
You beat me to it.

BisonBacker
December 5th, 2013, 09:57 AM
To be fair, we had the help of Lakes and his poo-flinging capabilities back then NoDak 4 Ever has taken his place :(

SCPALADIN
December 5th, 2013, 10:01 AM
FUGB, I've been in the stands at Greenville & Orangeburg to watch what Furman put on the field. What Bruce Fowler has recruited and developed is a program of smart, level-headed football on both sides of the ball. Furman players & fans should enjoy the extra weeks of practice & playoff experience to use as building blocks for 2014 & 2015. I fully expect to see Furman win the SoCon and make some real noise in the playoffs over the next 2 years as the youthfulness of today turns into experienced & smart players.

I also catch every Bison game via internet or cable sports channel or in person. As I said to OL FU, Sir William, & even players' parents after the playoff win, the Paladins are simply going up against a juggernaut unlike anything they've seen this season (perhaps LSU). Furman reminds me alot of the 2010 Bison where we made a little noise in the playoffs after sneaking into them in the 1st place. Is a win over the Bison possible? As long as Furman takes the field, anything is possible. Is it likely? Nope. NDSU has talent & leadership that have been working for these next 5 weeks since they set foot on campus years ago. They have seen what they are capable of accomplishing and those 24 seniors plan on going out as 3-peat National Champions.

Piece of advice: Don't become the Furple's ND4E or Chattownmocs or Texas.

Good take. I'm fairly certain most knowledgeable Furman fans share your opinion...despite the rampant homerism you're seeing here and on the UFFP (we're all guilty). Like I posted earlier, this game is Gravy for us. We're going to leave it all on the field on Saturday and hopefully the stars align for a fourth straight week. Either way, it will be a great experience for the ridiculous number of Freshmen and Sophomores making the trip to Fargo, as well as the Seniors who had never made the playoffs before this year. Our "rebuilding" years are behind us. Hopefully we will be back to FCS prominence soon. I miss seeing us in the Top 5 of polls.

SCPALADIN
December 5th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Good take. I'm fairly certain most knowledgeable Furman fans share your opinion...despite the rampant homerism you're seeing here and on the UFFP (we're all guilty). Like I posted earlier, this game is Gravy for us. We're going to leave it all on the field on Saturday and hopefully the stars align for a fourth straight week. Either way, it will be a great experience for the ridiculous number of Freshmen and Sophomores making the trip to Fargo, as well as the Seniors who had never made the playoffs before this year. Our "rebuilding" years are behind us. Hopefully we will be back to FCS prominence soon. I miss seeing us in the Top 5 of polls.

Worst case scenario...
The Bison beat the snot out of us and the 90%+ of our players who are returning next year see what it's going to take to get back to the top again. I believe it has been 8 years since we have been ranked #1 (2005 for a few weeks?).

Bisonator
December 5th, 2013, 10:16 AM

Looking forward to seeing a Furman/NDSU playoff rivalry develop over the next few years! Someone has to replace GSU in those semi-final losses. xthumbsupx

Hammerhead
December 5th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Georgia Southern was a much better team the 2nd time they came to the Fargodome in the playoffs.

Worst case scenario...
The Bison beat the snot out of us and the 90%+ of our players who are returning next year see what it's going to take to get back to the top again. I believe it has been 8 years since we have been ranked #1 (2005 for a few weeks?).

robsnotes4u
December 5th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Georgia Southern was a much better team the 2nd time they came to the Fargodome in the playoffs.

That was an awesome game in person. Hard nosed football. Would have been the perfect championship

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 10:34 AM
I'm coming back to Fargo for the semis (yes that's going to happen). My preference of opponents in order are:

Sam Houston
Maine
SELA
New Hampshire

Mostly want another game against SHSU but wouldn't mind seeing Maine.

thebootfitter
December 5th, 2013, 10:38 AM

Furman will roll NDSU!!
No, you're definitely going full Chatty spewing this stuff.

In all seriousness, I suspect you're just being absurd to make a point, which is fair enough. But if you've truly seen film or live games of both teams and have any knowledge of the game, an unbiased observer would likely agree that both teams are good, sound teams. If that unbiased observer started making comparisons, they'd likely realize quickly that Furman is a bit overmatched. Not saying they won't put up a good fight, and if enough things go right for them, they may even make a game of it.

The difference here is that Chatty makes far-fetched claims that are not based in reality. Much of what the Bison faithful have posted is based in reality with recent history and experience to back it up. (Even if some of them are a bit obnoxious.)

Looking forward to a good game!

SCPALADIN
December 5th, 2013, 10:39 AM
That was an awesome game in person. Hard nosed football. Would have been the perfect championship

It was a fantastic game. Watched on the computer. Reminded me a lot of the 2005 Semi-final, Furman vs. App State...should have been the Championsip game as they were the top two teams in I-AA that year, as well.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 10:48 AM
It was a fantastic game. Watched on the computer. Reminded me a lot of the 2005 Semi-final, Furman vs. App State...should have been the Championsip game as they were the top two teams in I-AA that year, as well.

I've watch that and the first NC game a hundred times. I may or may not have a saved copy on my computer. xsmiley_wix

DJKyR0
December 5th, 2013, 11:01 AM
How can a quarterback be called a leader when he's got 7 TDs on the season through the air? The Furman offense doesn't seem to do anything particularly well aside from run the ball, which of course NDSU excels at stopping.

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2013, 11:04 AM
How can a quarterback be called a leader when he's got 7 TDs on the season through the air? The Furman offense doesn't seem to do anything particularly well aside from run the ball, which of course NDSU excels at stopping.
They don't even do that particularly well. They're 75th in the FCS at 151.4 rushing yards per game. I think their defense is good and has the potential to give NDSU's offense some issues but their offense is mediocre at best and those types of offense don't score much against the Bison.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 11:04 AM

Didn't you see earlier? The only name we'll remember is the kicker, apparently.

Bisonator
December 5th, 2013, 11:07 AM

Brock only had 7 passing TD's in 2010. Furman is a young team much like the 2010 Bison.

PaladinNation
December 5th, 2013, 11:29 AM

Like other FUers have said I'm just happy Furman is still playing, a great experience. Hannon started the season with a pulled oblique. Then an ankle and knee injury, missing three games. Coach Fowler is one stubborn cuss… IMO in a good way. If he doesn't have to pass, he won't. I agree with Bisonator, Reese is a true sophomore, and the coaches haven't taken the wrapper off of him very much this season. Actually Wofford and Coastal are the best examples of what he's capable of…
against CCU 17-31 196 yards 2 TD
against WoCo 23-38 326 yards 1 TD

I expect the coaches to have a game plan that they think will protect Reese as well as empower him to do what he does best game management.
So, you might see a mix of Hayes with Hannon… who knows what type of formations that could bring out. I think Furman will have to be unconventional to stand a chance Saturday, As many have said our stable is full of youngsters and others that are on the mend. Hell our sideline is full of crutches.

FYI… this is a Furman commit that I believe showcases what the coaches want… a qb that can run and pass.
Furman's got 13 commits right now, another plus for Furman, exposure playing the champs.
Furman commit PJ Blazejowski: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/585476/highlights/32852405

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Brock only had 7 passing TD's in 2010. Furman is a young team much like the 2010 Bison.

It's a good thing the 2013 Bison are nothing like the 2010 Bobcats.

Bisonator
December 5th, 2013, 11:42 AM
It's a good thing the 2013 Bison are nothing like the 2010 Bobcats.

Yep. :D

IBleedYellow
December 5th, 2013, 11:42 AM
You NDSU guys need to remember one thing: This Furman team is exactly like the NDSU team of 2010. They play Bison football. If you listened to this week's wedge you heard me talk about it.

That said, NDSU isn't and never will be like Montana State of 2010, so we have that going for us.

Bisonator
December 5th, 2013, 11:44 AM
So we could say this is gonna be a match up between the 2010 Bison and the 2013 Bison. I like our chances! xlolx

Twentysix
December 5th, 2013, 11:45 AM
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1467245_10152103460114532_999177370_n.jpg

The marketing department simplified why Furman will lose on Saturday.

Bisonator
December 5th, 2013, 11:48 AM
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1467245_10152103460114532_999177370_n.jpg

We really need to improve our passing defense. Only 6th? xcoolx

TILIS-BisonFan
December 5th, 2013, 12:02 PM
If Furman wins they have to do it with a +2 turnover margin or higher and at least one defense or special teams TD. And win something like 17-14 ala the NDSU loss to Indiana State. Watching this defense if NDSU gets to 24 points it is basically over.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 12:02 PM
I actually found this one even more amazing.

https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1479503_10152103324384532_429859482_n.jpg

stevdock
December 5th, 2013, 12:04 PM

.25% on 3rd down is insanely good. How did we give up any TD's if we are only giving up 1 in 400 third down conversions?? ;)

centennial
December 5th, 2013, 12:09 PM
.25% on 3rd down is insanely good. How did we give up any TD's if we are only giving up 1 in 400 third down conversions?? ;)
I think they mean 1 in 4. 1 in 400 couldn't be true.

Bisonator
December 5th, 2013, 01:48 PM
So the rumor has it Furman fans couldn't even fill a charter plane (125 seats) for the game? Come on man!:(

AppApp
December 5th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Has this been posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJtnvF8lJv8

Darlinikki150
December 5th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Has this been posted:

That's pretty cute. Hell of valor better than some other school "songs"

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Has this been posted:

They're going to remember North Dakalack fo' sho'

SCPALADIN
December 5th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Has this been posted:

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Holy cow, I got through the whole video but this is the shot right here.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fup

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1463654_10100340102778439_766083726_n.jpg

BisonFan02
December 5th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Has this been posted:

That's pretty neat.

bisonboone11
December 5th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Has this been posted:

xthumbsupx

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 02:29 PM
That song is about 80% smack talk. You know, the kind everybody bitches about here?

PaladinNation
December 5th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Has this been posted:

here's the blog post, great stuff:
http://www.ipoetblog.com/2013/12/sweet-home/

"For those unfamiliar, a “playoff” is a single or multi-elimination game tournament format in which eligible teams compete, head-to-head, in an attempt to decide a single champion on the merits. Admittedly, it’s a pretty bizarro way to crown a champion, I know, but that’s all the FCS has for now. "

citdog
December 5th, 2013, 02:43 PM
The 12th man for vermin

http://www.kcconfidential.com/userfiles/jesus_football.jpg

BisonFan02
December 5th, 2013, 02:43 PM
http://youtu.be/aTvLivmwgaM

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 02:48 PM
The 12th man for vermin

He certainly can execute the option well.

centennial
December 5th, 2013, 02:59 PM
The 12th man for vermin

Well then, we better brace ourselves..

Southern Bison
December 5th, 2013, 03:12 PM
That song is about 80% smack talk. You know, the kind everybody bitches about here?

You forgot to add a selfie.
http://www.chucklebot.com/memes/basement-bubba-mom-the-internet-is-making-fun-of-me-again.jpg

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 03:17 PM
You forgot to add a selfie.

I'm beginning to think you have a thing for me.

Darlinikki150
December 5th, 2013, 04:14 PM
http://youtu.be/aTvLivmwgaM

That is classic, might be my new ringtone.

Bisonoline
December 5th, 2013, 04:22 PM

Fact is I want you to play well.
I expect you to play well.
Its the damn playoffs. This is what its all about. Good luck to guys. Lets have a great football game!!!!!!!

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Fact is I want you to play well.
I expect you to play well.
Its the damn playoffs. This is what its all about. Good luck to guys. Lets have a great football game!!!!!!!

I want a good game too. Just not TOO good a game, if you know what I mean.

IBleedYellow
December 5th, 2013, 04:29 PM
I remember the first time I heard that. Epic.

citdog
December 5th, 2013, 04:31 PM
NDSU is the verminator

Go...gate
December 5th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Bison getting some work done outside tonight....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BaiJ8y4CEAApBFl.jpg:large

Looks like Andy Kerr Stadium....

CID1990
December 5th, 2013, 06:09 PM

Alright the rest of you trolls take note ^^^

That's high comedy right there

citdog
December 5th, 2013, 06:11 PM
NDSU is the verminator

http://studio.beefjack.com/files/2012/01/Verminator1.jpg

Bisonoline
December 5th, 2013, 06:14 PM
NDSU is the verminator

Then why do we still have mpls around?

eaglewraith
December 5th, 2013, 06:32 PM
You notice that all of the GSU and App State fans that were so obnoxious in the preseason pretty much well shut up by the end of the year.

MIGHT WANT TO REASSESS THAT EVALUATION FURPLE.

NDSU_grad
December 5th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Looks like Andy Kerr Stadium....
It's whats left of Dacotah Field, where NDSU played before moving into the dome in 1992. Just used for practice now.

SCPALADIN
December 5th, 2013, 06:45 PM
MIGHT WANT TO REASSESS THAT EVALUATION FURPLE.

Nice going PaladinFan

Darlinikki150
December 5th, 2013, 11:26 PM
I'm just gonna say it, I'm not that excited about this game. I have a gut feeling its gonna be a blow out and that's getting old. Is it wrong of me? Im not as gung ho this week as I usually am, anyone else feeling this way?

BisonFan02
December 5th, 2013, 11:52 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/420323/group/homepage/

Schnepf: Georgia Southern coach knows Furman is in for a challenge:

“I’ve coached in a lot of great venues during my career, but there is no place louder than the Fargodome,” Monken said. “There is no verbal communication whatsoever when you are down on that field. It’s unbelievable. It’s the best atmosphere in college football – at any level.”

Twentysix
December 6th, 2013, 01:31 AM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/420323/group/homepage/

Schnepf: Georgia Southern coach knows Furman is in for a challenge:

“They [NDSU] are not going to get beat,” he said matter-of-factly. “The only team that is going to beat North Dakota State is North Dakota State.”

Good thing he isn't a poster on this board. That kind of sentiment is NDSU elitist douchebaggery.

PaladinFan
December 6th, 2013, 04:42 AM
Good thing he isn't a poster on this board. That kind of sentiment is NDSU elitist douchebaggery.

Monken qualifies as all but NDSU.

CPrice91
December 6th, 2013, 05:44 AM
I'm just gonna say it, I'm not that excited about this game. I have a gut feeling its gonna be a blow out and that's getting old. Is it wrong of me? Im not as gung ho this week as I usually am, anyone else feeling this way?

You'd prefer a chance to lose? I know Fargo hasn't done that in awhile but I wouldn't tempt fate..

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 6th, 2013, 05:50 AM
They don't even do that particularly well. They're 75th in the FCS at 151.4 rushing yards per game. I think their defense is good and has the potential to give NDSU's offense some issues but their offense is mediocre at best and those types of offense don't score much against the Bison.

This here!!

The Bison defense really matches up well against this type of offense. Furman might get to 200 total yards.

After watching season highlights of Furman, they are a good team but it will surprise me if NDSU doesn't win this by over 2 + TDs.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 6th, 2013, 07:03 AM

That's funny. I was going to say the same thing. I mean. I'm so tired of these cocky NDSU fans like Jeff Monken.

BisonBacker
December 6th, 2013, 07:05 AM
I read that article in the Fargo Forum about NDSU and comments by Monken. It was flattering and very telling about the Fargodome and what Furman is in for. I don't know that you can prepare for that atmosphere. I'm so looking forward to this game. I think that when someone like monken says those things it carries much more weight than when said by fans on a message board. Nobody is twisting his arm to make those comments. He's speaking from experience.

maine612
December 6th, 2013, 07:38 AM

Hey Nikki, I have been wondering about this type of sentiment existing in Fargo. Its awesome to be the best and to be 2-time defending champs, but after a while doesnt the emotion change? I am not saying it gets old, but the thrill definitely cannot be the same. As Maine has climbed from no mans land to this point, it is has been extremely exciting every week and we always have new ceilings to hit (for the record, we have never been out of the quarterfinals)

Its sort of like being a Boston sports fan. We are all spoiled with all of our titles in the last decade and it just isnt the same. Heck, when Ellsbury signed with the Yankees this week, the reaction was generally "meh."

Good luck to the Bison!

BisonBacker
December 6th, 2013, 08:39 AM
I don't feel the same way as Nikkie does but I maybe proved wrong if the game is a blowout. I think it will be closer than some Bison fans are expecting. I think there is to much pride and tradition in the Furman program to come in here and just lay an egg. This isn't a DII team or a patriot team. (Sorry Patriot league fans) but it is what it is.

Winindy
December 6th, 2013, 08:41 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BaiJ8y4CEAApBFl.jpg:large

I still have rug burns from this place.

Bisonator
December 6th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Hey Nikki, I have been wondering about this type of sentiment existing in Fargo. Its awesome to be the best and to be 2-time defending champs, but after a while doesnt the emotion change? I am not saying it gets old, but the thrill definitely cannot be the same. As Maine has climbed from no mans land to this point, it is has been extremely exciting every week and we always have new ceilings to hit (for the record, we have never been out of the quarterfinals)

Its sort of like being a Boston sports fan. We are all spoiled with all of our titles in the last decade and it just isnt the same. Heck, when Ellsbury signed with the Yankees this week, the reaction was generally "meh."

Good luck to the Bison!

We have definitely gotten spoiled but IMO it never gets old. I been around long enough to know to enjoy every minute because it won't always be like it is right now. It's definitely fun watching a young team climb the mountain but it's also sweet watching that more mature team dominate once they reach the top too. We are watching one of the greatest football teams in Bison history!

pike51
December 6th, 2013, 08:43 AM

Good luck to the Bison!

The "thrill" of winning never goes away. Instead it becomes expected. Anything less that total domination is unacceptable.

As a Georgia Southern fan who was in school during the 98, 99, 00 run... we became so used to blowing out our opponents, that everytime I watch my Eagles play, that's exactly what I expect to see. Scores of 50, 60, or 70 to 7, perfect, flawless execution, and the ability to basically perform at the top level no matter what or whom we play.

I have no doubt in my mind that NDSU feels exactly the same way. The dominating run they had in D2 has carried over to FCS. They are gunning for 3 in a row and there has been very little anyone has been able to do about it. Only a select few teams have been able to stand toe to toe with NDSU the past 3 years. That's just the honest truth.

Nw, here's the kicker. Furman has been "down" recently compared to the glory days in the 80's. However, they still have fans who lived those days and have those same expectations every time they take the field. Same goes for Montana, Youngstown State, McNeese State, and the rest of the "traditional" FCS level powerhouse programs, teams who you name first when you think of the 1-AA elite. No offense to the great programs at EWU, SHSU, or others... but if you think of the historically elite programs at this level, you think of Georgia Southern, Montana, Delaware, Youngstown State, McNeese State, App State, Furman (to a point) and now NDSU. Those were the teams who were there every year, contending for it all. Again, no offense to the programs who made 1 year runs at glory (UMass) or those who I may have inadvertently left out (maybe Villanova or Richmond?).

So that's what you have here. The new, elite team on the block... the current big dog, with a history and tradition of winning, no matter what level and the old school powerhouse, with fans who still feel like they are worthy of "elite" status, who is back again for another shot at glory.

I hope Furman can live up to the hype because if they can, they may be capable of giving NDSU a ball game. Nobody outside Wofford thought they had a shot against NDSU and they went down swinging in the 12th. It won't be easy, but I'm looking forward to what could be a really good game.

Bisonator
December 6th, 2013, 08:44 AM
I still have rug burns from this place.

Did you play at Dakota Field? For who and when?

maine612
December 6th, 2013, 08:46 AM
The "thrill" of winning never goes away. Instead it becomes expected. Anything less that total domination is unacceptable.

As a Georgia Southern fan who was in school during the 98, 99, 00 run... we became so used to blowing out our opponents, that everytime I watch my Eagles play, that's exactly what I expect to see. Scores of 50, 60, or 70 to 7, perfect, flawless execution, and the ability to basically perform at the top level no matter what or whom we play.

I have no doubt in my mind that NDSU feels exactly the same way. The dominating run they had in D2 has carried over to FCS. They are gunning for 3 in a row and there has been very little anyone has been able to do about it. Only a select few teams have been able to stand toe to toe with NDSU the past 3 years. That's just the honest truth.

Nw, here's the kicker. Furman has been "down" recently compared to the glory days in the 80's. However, they still have fans who lived those days and have those same expectations every time they take the field. Same goes for Montana, Youngstown State, McNeese State, and the rest of the "traditional" FCS level powerhouse programs, teams who you name first when you think of the 1-AA elite. No offense to the great programs at EWU, SHSU, or others... but if you think of the historically elite programs at this level, you think of Georgia Southern, Montana, Delaware, Youngstown State, McNeese State, App State, Furman (to a point) and now NDSU. Those were the teams who were there every year, contending for it all. Again, no offense to the programs who made 1 year runs at glory (UMass) or those who I may have inadvertently left out (maybe Villanova or Richmond?).

So that's what you have here. The new, elite team on the block... the current big dog, with a history and tradition of winning, no matter what level and the old school powerhouse, with fans who still feel like they are worthy of "elite" status, who is back again for another shot at glory.

I hope Furman can live up to the hype because if they can, they may be capable of giving NDSU a ball game. Nobody outside Wofford thought they had a shot against NDSU and they went down swinging in the 12th. It won't be easy, but I'm looking forward to what could be a really good game.

Awesome response. Love it. And love Paulson....wish you guys didn't skip town on us.

maine612
December 6th, 2013, 08:47 AM
We have definitely gotten spoiled but IMO it never gets old. I been around long enough to know to enjoy every minute because it won't always be like it is right now. It's definitely fun watching a young team climb the mountain but it's also sweet watching that more mature team dominate once they reach the top too. We are watching one of the greatest football teams in Bison history!

Obviously I want Maine to win...but if we can't, I wish you the best of luck. Losing in this tournament would be akin to the Patriots losing at 18-0 in the Superbowl. Not a good feeling at all.

pike51
December 6th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Awesome response. Love it. And love Paulson....wish you guys didn't skip town on us.

Thanks. I should have mentioned Maine as well. I will always think of Maine as an elite FCS program and enjoyed our games with you guys.

maine612
December 6th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Thanks. I should have mentioned Maine as well. I will always think of Maine as an elite FCS program and enjoyed our games with you guys.

Maine is not elite...We are a lunch pail kind of program that works hard and does the best it can with secondary recruits and generally sub par facilities. They represent the school and state well. I was at the game in Statesboro in 2002...was treated very well by a good friend there and all the fans. Great breakfast at Snookies!! (heard that place is gone now?)

Winindy
December 6th, 2013, 08:50 AM
I went to North. We had a couple practices a week there, and I played all my home HS games there. If we were away with Shanley or South, we played there too. That old turf was fast, but it was brutal. Tore my ACL and my MCL in practice on that rug, and ended up going to the Citadel in '87.

Bisonator
December 6th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Obviously I want Maine to win...but if we can't, I wish you the best of luck. Losing in this tournament would be akin to the Patriots losing at 18-0 in the Superbowl. Not a good feeling at all.

Yeah no doubt. There would be a few Bison fans needing to step back from the ledge. :D

Bisonator
December 6th, 2013, 08:53 AM
I went to North. We had a couple practices a week there, and I played all my home HS games there. If we were away with Shanley or South, we played there too. That old turf was fast, but it was brutal. Tore my ACL and my MCL in practice on that rug, and ended up going to the Citadel in '87.

Dang Spartan! I went to South and on to NDSU in '93.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 6th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Dang Spartan! I went to South and on to NDSU in '93.

Go Bruins!

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2013, 08:57 AM
I'm not really feeling that way about this game. I'm excited to see the dome in a playoff atmosphere again (at least I hope it's a playoff atmosphere) but I think there are a few factors that are keeping the fan excitement relatively down. With the cold weather I'm guessing the tailgate lot will be a shell of itself and a looming matchup with Montana on national TV next week that has fans looking forward.

robsnotes4u
December 6th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Did you play at Dakota Field? For who and when?

Me too, but it was when I was drunk, falling down, and sliding across the turf during the mid 80's watching the Sioux get crushed. Those were really hard years on the body.

BisonBacker
December 6th, 2013, 08:59 AM
I'm not really feeling that way about this game. I'm excited to see the dome in a playoff atmosphere again (at least I hope it's a playoff atmosphere) but I think there are a few factors that are keeping the fan excitement relatively down. With the cold weather I'm guessing the tailgate lot will be a shell of itself and a looming matchup with Montana on national TV next week that has fans looking forward.

I know Coach Bohl won't let the players overlook these guys this week. Yeah moving forward if we win this game would make for a spectacular matchup with Montana assuming they too win. Hate making assumptions about anything as you know what they say about that.

Bisonator
December 6th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Me too, but it was when I was drunk, falling down, and sliding across the turf during the mid 80's watching the Sioux get crushed. Those were really hard years on the body.

HaHa those were the best of times. I was a young kid watching my heroes at the time destroy the Sioux! xthumbsupx

maine612
December 6th, 2013, 09:03 AM
I know Coach Bohl won't let the players overlook these guys this week. Yeah moving forward if we win this game would make for a spectacular matchup with Montana assuming they too win. Hate making assumptions about anything as you know what they say about that.

Tough to look ahead, but man are there some tasty quarterfinals matchups in the making. Montana at NDSU, Towson at EIU, SHSU at Maine (or Maine at SELA and frankly New Hampshire at either), McNeesw at EWU... tremendous stuff coming.

Bisonator
December 6th, 2013, 09:03 AM

Kind of the vibe I've been getting too. I still think the game atmosphere will be good on Saturday at least for the first half or so.

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Agree on both points but fans always look past opponents they think are subpar to their team. Good coaches and good teams don't and we all know NDSU has both so I think that only adds to the fans anticipating what's to come.

PaladinNation
December 6th, 2013, 09:36 AM

All I can say to some NDSU fans that feel ho-hum about playing Furman. Cherish this time on top, cause no team stays there. Just look at Alabama. I’ve watched Furman play from Statesboro to Reno during the playoffs. To be honest I didn’t think we would sniff the playoffs until 2015.

It’s been a long time for Furman fans to be back in the playoff hunt, and I will never take it for granted again. Win or lose Saturday, this Furman team is a winner.

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2013, 09:45 AM
All I can say to some NDSU fans that feel ho-hum about playing Furman. Cherish this time on top, cause no team stays there. Just look at Alabama. I’ve watched Furman play from Statesboro to Reno during the playoffs. To be honest I didn’t think we would sniff the playoffs until 2015.

It’s been a long time for Furman fans to be back in the playoff hunt, and I will never take it for granted again. Win or lose Saturday, this Furman team is a winner.
Agree completely and I think it's unfortunate if Bison fans can't get up for a playoff game regardless of the other factors involved. The last couple years there's been a tangible difference in the Fargodome atmosphere once the ball gets kicked off in playoffs compared to the regular season. I'll be very disappointed if it's not the same tomorrow but I am slightly worried that it may be a little tame by playoff standards.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 6th, 2013, 09:47 AM

Nobody's looking past Furman. Bison fans obviously love every playoff game, that's why you will see a packed house this weekend.

As for success and its sustainability. This program is built to succeed, always has. Even if you choose to poo poo the DII titles (which were played against significantly stiffer competition in the 80's) NDSU has 5 titles in the College Division and FCS, on the same competitive level. 3 losing seasons in 50 years under 9 different coaches.

NDSU is here to stay.

Bisonator
December 6th, 2013, 09:49 AM

xthumbsupx

SCPALADIN
December 6th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Nobody's looking past Furman. Bison fans obviously love every playoff game, that's why you will see a packed house this weekend.

As for success and its sustainability. This program is built to succeed, always has. Even if you choose to poo poo the DII titles (which were played against significantly stiffer competition in the 80's) NDSU has 5 titles in the College Division and FCS, on the same competitive level. 3 losing seasons in 50 years under 9 different coaches.

NDSU is here to stay.

Stat of the Day. Very few, if any, programs can touch that.

SCPALADIN
December 6th, 2013, 10:04 AM

Excellent post. Go Dins!

NoDak 4 Ever
December 6th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Stat of the Day. Very few, if any, programs can touch that.

We probably should have jumped in 78, just like everyone else but we had had a 2-7 season in between the NC years so there may have been a little hesitation. I was in elementary school at the time so I do not recall they whys and wherefores but we are very used to success and that contributed to our brash nature when we jumped to 1AA

Mind you, 2 of those losing seasons came in the last 10 years. Good thing there isn't a tall building in Fargo, we might have cause for concern :D

Vitojr130
December 6th, 2013, 10:34 AM
We probably should have jumped in 78, just like everyone else but we had had a 2-7 season in between the NC years so there may have been a little hesitation. I was in elementary school at the time so I do not recall they whys and wherefores but we are very used to success and that contributed to our brash nature when we jumped to 1AA

Mind you, 2 of those losing seasons came in the last 10 years. Good thing there isn't a tall building in Fargo, we might have cause for concern :D

Yet. Kilbourne group is building one soon where the US Bank plaza is downtown.

Don't fail me now, Bison!

Twentysix
December 6th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Yet. Kilbourne group is building one soon where the US Bank plaza is downtown.

Don't fail me now, Bison!

Maybe they will install a jumping cord like at the stratosphere, it can be like a 3 second jump lol.

Eaglegus2
December 6th, 2013, 12:03 PM
My niece and her husband now live in Fargo, They love it!!! She is an avid football fan. Yes! She is an alumni of Georgia Southern. She was hoping to tickets to see the Bison play.

Best of luck to both Teams! Hopefully, there will be few injuries and everyone returns home safely.

Sure glad you play indoors.lol

NoDak 4 Ever
December 6th, 2013, 12:05 PM
My niece and her husband now live in Fargo, They love it!!! She is an avid football fan. Yes! She is an alumni of Georgia Southern. She was hoping to tickets to see the Bison play.

Best of luck to both Teams! Hopefully, there will be few injuries and everyone returns home safely.

Sure glad you play indoors.lol

Not sure if the Furman returns are still available but the scuttlebutt on Bville suggest that some might be.

Hammerhead
December 6th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Another "Go Bruins!" post here. I graduated from South in 1986 and still have my lovely South Bruins stocking cap with the big tassle on the top in the back of my Jeep as part of my winter supplies in case we ever get stranded out in the cold. I didn't play high school football, but I did play a couple of soccer games on Dacotah field.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 6th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Another "Go Bruins!" post here. I graduated from South in 1986 and still have my lovely South Bruins stocking cap with the big tassle on the top in the back of my Jeep as part of my winter supplies in case we ever get stranded out in the cold. I didn't play high school football, but I did play a couple of soccer games on Dacotah field.

Graduated in 1990. Attended many games at Dacotah.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 6th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Seemed like a cool stadium. I always thought that this pic made Dakota look like it held 30k people...

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5166/5306668248_77f2dd46cf_z.jpg

NoDak 4 Ever
December 6th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Seemed like a cool stadium. I always thought that this pic made Dakota look like it held 30k people...

13k but unlike the Fargodome, it probably could have expanded to double that.

Twentysix
December 6th, 2013, 12:51 PM

Thank god we don't play out there anymore. I'd be watching on TV in the winter, lol. It's -6.3F (-23 F with WC) right now.

pike51
December 6th, 2013, 12:53 PM

That field looks like a sheet of ice! Good thing Mr. Ross and CCU don't have to play there!

NoDak 4 Ever
December 6th, 2013, 12:56 PM
That field looks like a sheet of ice! Good thing Mr. Ross and CCU don't have to play there!

I love it. Put field turf there, add 15,000 seats and you have a great stadium.

The problem is infrastructure. It's behind the dome from 19th with no parking really. Now with the new buildings it's even more hemmed in.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 6th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Thank god we don't play out there anymore. I'd be watching on TV in the winter, lol. It's -6.3F (-23 F with WC) right now.

It's cold in several places around the USA. I don't think an outside game in Fargo this week would be any worse than those going on in Cheney and Missoula. If D2 programs like MN-Duluth, UW-Whitewater etc. can play outside this time of year so can NDSU.

Currently -11 in Belgrade. Due to my flight never getting off the ground due to a weight issue I'm thankfully still in PA! It'll be a balmy 20 when I finally get back on Monday...

aces1180
December 6th, 2013, 01:47 PM
It's cold in several places around the USA. I don't think an outside game in Fargo this week would be any worse than those going on in Cheney and Missoula. If D2 programs like MN-Duluth, UW-Whitewater etc. can play outside this time of year so can NDSU.

Currently -11 in Belgrade. Due to my flight never getting off the ground due to a weight issue I'm thankfully still in PA! It'll be a balmy 20 when I finally get back on Monday...

I think the big difference between those places is the wind chill factor...As you probably know, Fargo is flatter than a pancake sans many trees, so the -10 temps are usually feel like -35 with a little wind (which is pretty much normal for Fargo).

maine612
December 6th, 2013, 01:48 PM
North Dakota State (-29½) vs Furman o/u 47

Interesting line. This means the linesmakers think that the score will be something like 38-9. I guess I would take the points and the over. This just seems out of whack...and I got to believe Furman can put more than 9 on the board.

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2013, 01:53 PM
North Dakota State (-29½) vs Furman o/u 47

Interesting line. This means the linesmakers think that the score will be something like 38-9. I guess I would take the points and the over. This just seems out of whack...and I got to believe Furman can put more than 9 on the board.
I wouldn't be so sure about Furman getting to double digits. The Bison allowed 11.5 ppg on the year and Furman's offense ranks 103 out of 122 in the FCS. I don't think 10 points isn't too much to ask but to get more than that they're going to need a return TD and it's possible they get less if they can't get turnovers or convert offensively in the limited red zone opportunities they'll have.

maine612
December 6th, 2013, 01:56 PM
I wouldn't be so sure about Furman getting to double digits. The Bison allowed 11.5 ppg on the year and Furman's offense ranks 103 out of 122 in the FCS. I don't think 10 points isn't too much to ask but to get more than that they're going to need a return TD and it's possible they get less if they can't get turnovers or convert offensively in the limited red zone opportunities they'll have.

Will be fascinating to see. The linesmakers are usually right....although Maine is 3.5 faves over UNH (thanks to home field). I take the points there too.

Twentysix
December 6th, 2013, 02:02 PM

The wind from being in a glacial valley is what makes Fargo so terrible. -45F wc would occur on december game days quite often. When you start to get below -40 F, you could be looking at deaths by the time the football game is over.

I personally knew 2 people that froze to death. Apparently someone died during the Ice Bowl, which was -13F (-48F wc) and alot of the wind would be blocked by other people/the stands of an NFL stadium. And the Ice bowls temp is from the original windchill formula, with the new formula it is -36F.

BisonBacker
December 6th, 2013, 02:20 PM
I know they changed the windchill formula and how it's calculated now compared to back then. Seems like the numbers now aren't as low as they once use to be. Either way I've sat on that South side stands for many a Bison game at Dakotah field and let me tell you if you weren't dressed right (students never did but they had enough antifreeze in them I think they were numb before they got there) you'd freeze your tukus off. I was there for the infamous bottle/Ed Schultz ordeal. Watching him come down out of the booth and storm the crowd was hilarious. He really lost it there. Of course he's a dip_hit anyway so that's to be expected and for a whole different thread. Either way I'm glad we are indoors tomorrow. It's damned cold out there right now!

darell1976
December 6th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Any Bison fan know the coldest game ever at Dacotah Field?

BisonBacker
December 6th, 2013, 03:00 PM

I believe the answer to that is 7 degrees outside air temp not windchill.

- - - Updated - - -

This weekend would have busted that record to bits.

Bisonator
December 6th, 2013, 03:06 PM

I'm not sure what the coldest ever was but the coldest one I remember was a playoff game against Pitt State in I believe 1990. Some will probably say the blizzard bowl but that wasn't really the coldest if I remember right.

darell1976
December 6th, 2013, 03:08 PM
I'm not sure what the coldest ever was but the coldest one I remember was a playoff game against Pitt State in I believe 1990. Some will probably say the blizzard bowl but that wasn't really the coldest if I remember right.

Blizzard bowl was that the NDSU/Augustana game? I saw that on YouTube, fun to play but would suck to sit and watch that.

darell1976
December 6th, 2013, 03:10 PM
I believe the answer to that is 7 degrees outside air temp not windchill.

- - - Updated - - -

This weekend would have busted that record to bits.

7 is cold, I am sure on days like this (-7 as I am typing this) that people are glad we have domes.

PaladinFan
December 6th, 2013, 03:12 PM

I do think hidden in the offensive statistics is Ray Early. Furman was dead last in the SoCon in total offense, but 5th in scoring offense. Part of the difference there is that our defense and special teams put scores on the board. Furman's offense simply does not have to generate a lot of yard to score.

Fowler has no problem whatsoever with running Ray Early out to convert a 52-55 yard field goal. His completion percentage is 80%, and is 3rd in the country in field goals per game. Effectively, Furman has to get to about the 40 to score - they don't need the endzone. I imagine in a dome they'd try him from 60. He's head and shoulders the best kicker in the SoCon, and I imagine he's among the top five kickers in the FCS.

That said, if we are relying on Early for all of our scoring (which has happened from time to time), the game will not be close. I do think he's a strong reason Furman will score in double digits...they are just really good at compiling 3s.

Bisonator
December 6th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Blizzard bowl was that the NDSU/Augustana game? I saw that on YouTube, fun to play but would suck to sit and watch that.

Yes in '86. Air Temp was 19 for that one not sure about the wind chill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOXkT107x2E

Bisonator
December 6th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I do think hidden in the offensive statistics is Ray Early. Furman was dead last in the SoCon in total offense, but 5th in scoring offense. Part of the difference there is that our defense and special teams put scores on the board. Furman's offense simply does not have to generate a lot of yard to score.

Fowler has no problem whatsoever with running Ray Early out to convert a 52-55 yard field goal. His completion percentage is 80%, and is 3rd in the country in field goals per game. Effectively, Furman has to get to about the 40 to score - they don't need the endzone. I imagine in a dome they'd try him from 60. He's head and shoulders the best kicker in the SoCon, and I imagine he's among the top five kickers in the FCS.

That said, if we are relying on Early for all of our scoring (which has happened from time to time), the game will not be close. I do think he's a strong reason Furman will score in double digits...they are just really good at compiling 3s.

Unfortunately for you guys I think you will need more then FG's in this one. ;)

maine612
December 6th, 2013, 03:18 PM
What is the actual temp setting in the Dome? I am sure the people keep it warm. Anyone know?

BisonBacker
December 6th, 2013, 03:26 PM
What is the actual temp setting in the Dome? I am sure the people keep it warm. Anyone know?

I know it feels kind of cool when you first come in but when the place fills up and the game gets going it's plenty warm. I don't know the actual temp or what they have it set at but I know it'll be a hell of a lot warmer in the dome than outside xthumbsupx

Green1
December 6th, 2013, 03:27 PM

To add to this- I think there is also some hidden offense in Furman's uncanny ability to turn the ball over. Furman big statistical advantage is on positive turnovers. Stops the opponent from scoring and leads to scoring or turning the field over. Turnovers should make NDSU nervous. It might be Furman's not-so-secret weapon in this game.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 6th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Yes in '86. Air Temp was 19 for that one not sure about the wind chill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOXkT107x2E

With 19 degrees and 23-26 mph wind the WC would be 3-4.

maine612
December 6th, 2013, 03:28 PM
I know it feels kind of cool when you first come in but when the place fills up and the game gets going it's plenty warm. I don't know the actual temp or what they have it set at but I know it'll be a hell of a lot warmer in the dome than outside xthumbsupx

Got to be an interesting HVAC equation. Cant set it too high pre-game or the 20k humans will shoot it into the low 80s! I remember I wore a sweatshirt most of the UNI game.

Green1
December 6th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Got to be an interesting HVAC equation. Cant set it too high pre-game or the 20k humans will shoot it into the low 80s! I remember I wore a sweatshirt most of the UNI game.

Also depends on how high you are seated in the dome. Hot air rising and all that.

BisonCM
December 6th, 2013, 03:53 PM
And being its full of Bison fans, there is plenty of hot air to rise.

SUPharmacist
December 6th, 2013, 03:59 PM

Heyoooh

darell1976
December 6th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Be glad they don't have to melt snow from the roof by raising the temperature like they did during the Vikings/Rams playoff game. I think the temp was in the 80's in the Metrodome.

Green1
December 6th, 2013, 04:15 PM

xawesomex

Remember to tip your servers.

BisonBacker
December 6th, 2013, 04:38 PM
That's going to be a long day for their fans. Traveling to Fargo, Game and then back home on the same day. Hope it's a long flight home if you know what i mean.

deez_na
December 6th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Go Bison!!!!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 6th, 2013, 04:56 PM
With an extra week of rest the Bison come out and put Furman away tomorrow.

Cannot wait for tomorrow.....!!!!

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2013, 05:00 PM
You Bison fans need to relax, if you want a real game you'll have to wait because Furman will not challenge the Might Bizun,,,,,,, jinx

IBleedYellow
December 6th, 2013, 05:01 PM
http://gobison.com/news/2013/12/6/FB_1206134438.aspx

Bisonator
December 6th, 2013, 05:13 PM
http://gobison.com/news/2013/12/6/FB_1206134438.aspx
I hope they do this for every playoff game to see if the level goes up per game.

Hammersmith
December 6th, 2013, 05:24 PM
To any Furman fans that are actually making the game, please be careful. We are heading into "real chance of death" type temperatures tonight. Wind chills could reach -50F tonight. That's ears and nose getting frostbite in 5-10 minutes. Just try and stay inside tonight.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 6th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Just read the Furman fan board on the Bison matchup.....funny stuff.

Typical.

Green1
December 6th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Did anybody hear how many tickets were turned back from the Furman allotment?

PaladinFan
December 6th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Unfortunately for you guys I think you will need more then FG's in this one. ;)

Me too. I just don't think we'll get left in single digits. Happened only once this season, to a good defense on the road, with Furman starting its fourth string QB.

Then again, the Bison might shut us out. My only point is that unlike a lot of offenses, Furman does not have to get to the redzone to score.

gofurman
December 6th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Does NDSU general student body really have a 24% graduation rate? That's what posted all over the Internet including completely non-biased sites. Furmans Football team graduation rate is 95%. Shouldn't we get about 50 points in the game for this ? Lol.

Seriously that's the lowest graduation rate of any school I have ever seen us play. Our public schools like Clemson have a graduation rate of about 57%.

And I am not kidding about the FU football team having a 95% graduation rate -
http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2013-14/releases/20131024gxkygy

we are tied w Harvard and just behind Yale, Dartmouth and Northwestern... ahead of Duke, Cornell, Stanford and Vanderbilt !

swaghook
December 6th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Does NDSU general student body really have a 24% graduation rate? That's what posted all over the Internet including completely non-biased sites. Furmans Football team graduation rate is 95%. Shouldn't we get about 50 points in the game for this ? Lol.

Seriously that's the lowest graduation rate of any school I have ever seen us play. Our public schools like Clemson have a graduation rate of about 57%.

And I am not kidding about the FU football team having a 95% graduation rate -

we are tied w Harvard and just behind Yale, Dartmouth and Northwestern... ahead of Duke, Cornell, Stanford and Vanderbilt !
For the general student population:

4-Year Graduation Rate: 23%
6-Year Graduation Rate: 54%

gofurman
December 6th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Just read the Furman fan board on the Bison matchup.....funny stuff.

Typical.

Ill tell you what's funny - the NDSU graduation rate, 24% !!! Holy sh&t that's horrible. Ill ask an honest question... Is there a legitimate reason or this? Maybe there is. Is NDSU used as a transfer school? I am honestly asking

Our Public school next door, Clemson, graduates 57%. The Furman football team graduates 95% by comparison... Here is proof---

We have been ranked the 2nd hardest school to graduate from in the country. Our football team has a graduation rate (GSR) that is better than Duke, Vanderbilt, Stanford and Cornell and tied with Harvard.

Before you say something is "funny" make sure to do your homework.. Anyway, what's with the 24% graduation rate???

swaghook
December 6th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Anyway, what's with the 24% graduation rate??? 4 year graduation rate most students take longer the 6 year rate is 54% for the general pop.

gofurman
December 6th, 2013, 07:49 PM

Swag, thanks for a legitimate answer... That's at least a little better though not great. Do a lot of kids transfer out after 2 years or something?

swaghook
December 6th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Swag, thanks for a legitimate answer... That's at least a little better though not great. Do a lot of kids transfer out after 2 years or something?

I think it has more to do with the admissions standards being rather low. A lot of kids come in but don't have what it takes to make it through.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 6th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Ill tell you what's funny - the NDSU graduation rate, 24% !!! Holy sh&t that's horrible. Ill ask an honest question... Is there a legitimate reason or this? Maybe there is. Is NDSU used as a transfer school? I am honestly asking

Our Public school next door, Clemson, graduates 57%. The Furman football team graduates 95% by comparison... Here is proof---

We have been ranked the 2nd hardest school to graduate from in the country. Our football team has a graduation rate (GSR) that is better than Duke, Vanderbilt, Stanford and Cornell and tied with Harvard.

Before you say something is "funny" make sure to do your homework.. Anyway, what's with the 24% graduation rate???

Yes, it is funny, the football talk.

Kudos to Furman on the grad rates.

ThompsonThe
December 6th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Didn't that same report say that the NDSU football team had a 6% graduation rate?

centennial
December 6th, 2013, 08:01 PM
NDSU is usually harder than the smaller universities in the area. There are a lot of kids that go back to their towns a year or 2 into their education. Some of the big programs have low graduation rates like engineering, sciences, pharmacy, nursing. I know with EE only 1 in 4 kids that were admitted able to graduate with EE. One of my friends who went to Clemson and transferred into the EE program said that Clemson was easier and there was no grade inflation. This is all an educated guess..

ThompsonThe
December 6th, 2013, 08:03 PM
The whole aspect of admissions is to take students that should graduate.
Cannot blame it on anything but poor admissions standards.

centennial
December 6th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Agreed, all it shows is that the course work is too hard for the average admitted student.

SUPharmacist
December 6th, 2013, 08:09 PM
NDSU is usually harder than the smaller universities in the area. There are a lot of kids that go back to their towns a year or 2 into their education. Some of the big programs have low graduation rates like engineering, sciences, pharmacy, nursing. I know with EE only 1 in 4 kids that were admitted able to graduate with EE. One of my friends who went to Clemson and transferred into the EE program said that Clemson was easier and there was no grade inflation. This is all an educated guess..

Pre-Pharmacy maybe, once people get into the program the rate is decent (haven't looked at numbers, but when I went through only a few didn't make it). That is probably due to the inverse of swag saying admission standards are low, for the professional program standards are high.

gofurman
December 6th, 2013, 08:09 PM
I think it has more to do with the admissions standards being rather low. A lot of kids come in but don't have what it takes to make it through.

Swag,
Thanks for being honest with that. You obviously get it. Thank you. Not an excuse but you can see why I am so amazed that we compete as well as we do. The reason our graduation rate is so high is we are very very restrictive on admissions

Our 95% graduation rate for football is because you had better be really qualified to get in. I was reading a good article that Furman was one of only 10 schools left that didn't allow admissions to know you were an athlete upon application.

Sorry, it's just the ignorant comments I see that annoy me - not yours! People not realizing how hard a school Furman is. Others saying "they were good in the 80s and 90s"- we played for the national title in 2001 and in the semi finals in 2005... As far as I know 2001 and 2005 aren't the 90s. We also won the SoCon in 2004.

Granted we are rebuilding and this team is very very young. Only 4 seniors is crazy young

I expect you all will win and hope we meet again next year !

gofurman
December 6th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Agreed, all it shows is that the course work is too hard for the average admitted student.

Right. That's typically the issue. Admissions letting in kids that - law of averages says from a historical study - aren't going to make it.

Thats why I am surprised Furman can compete. I know of a few cases personally where we can't even pursue a kid we really want for football because we already know they will never get in. Then I see them at CoastalCarolina or a few other schools. LOL

You will notice we also never allow JUCOs. Tough, but it is what it is. Sounds like your grad schools are very well thought of ! Again, meant no harm or insult w this post

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 6th, 2013, 08:25 PM

I think kids suffer from homesickness a lot more in the rural states. Montana State has a low retention rate because kids simply aren't use to being away from their families for extended periods of time. In the East kids are conditioned more to "going away to school" imo. Half of the bag boys at my club drop out of MSU and move home. Our retention rate suffers too.

UND was modeled after a the smaller liberal arts colleges of the east while NDSU opened as the state's land grant institution. When you're basically forced to accept EVERYONE, grad rates will suffer. This is part of the reason why UND has a little better national reputation.

FargoBison
December 6th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Didn't that same report say that the NDSU football team had a 6% graduation rate?

More like 65% give or take a percent.

SCPALADIN
December 6th, 2013, 08:42 PM
More like 65% give or take a percent.

He was jerking your chain....no program has a rate that ridiculously low (6%).

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 6th, 2013, 08:45 PM
He was jerking your chain....no program has a rate that ridiculously low.

Cincinnati basketball had a 0% grad rate in the late 90's under Bob Huggins....

centennial
December 6th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Pre-Pharmacy maybe, once people get into the program the rate is decent (haven't looked at numbers, but when I went through only a few didn't make it). That is probably due to the inverse of swag saying admission standards are low, for the professional program standards are high.
Same concept in engineering except you can get into the program but making it out is hard. The biggest attrition I think comes from rural kids who just get homesick and move back to a smaller local college.

Bison56
December 6th, 2013, 08:48 PM
I heard on the radio that it costs around $57,000 a year to go to Furman is that true?

FargoBison
December 6th, 2013, 08:52 PM
He was jerking your chain....no program has a rate that ridiculously low.

I thought he was but he motivated me to find out the actual number.

With that said I've seen really low numbers but those are mostly basketball programs. UConn was at 11% which is why they sat out of last year's basketball tournament. Cal football was at 38% which appears to the lowest among the BCS.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 6th, 2013, 08:53 PM
I heard on the radio that it costs around $57,000 a year to go to Furman is that true?

Likely...

When it comes to the most expensive schools that NDSU has played, Furman, Lehigh and Lafayette are likely the Top 3. Wofford is probably a half-step behind...

SUPharmacist
December 6th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Same concept in engineering except you can get into the program but making it out is hard. The biggest attrition I think comes from rural kids who just get homesick and move back to a smaller local college.

That sounds about right. With state schools I can never decide what is best, real high admission standards that get better graduation rates, or a lower standards that give everyone a shot. I don't want people to pile up loans that they will get no benefit from, but I feel state schools have an obligation to be that opportunity for residents. A few years back, I had mixed feelings about the University of Minnesota dropping their General College (read as junior college to help lower level students work their way into the broader university), in favor of adding more Honors College options to help make the University more prestigious. I saw more of my classmates having mo shot at the U of MN, and it was unfortunate. Fortunately, it was a moot point to me as I had been accepted anyway, but chose NDSU when I realized how much cheaper I could get my pharmacy degree. Thankfully, I have been able to see NDSU beat the Goofs in football as well. Back to the game, go bison!

bisonranch
December 6th, 2013, 09:03 PM
While at NDSU, I had a professor from an SEC school that said something like "you guys actually make your football players go to class up here."

I know the engineering curriculum is harder than some of the major BCS state schools. Required course load is lighter other places and I've interviewed guys I think would have never made it through SU.

Furman's grad rate is impressive. Probably why you guys are successful is your kids play smart football.

Green1
December 6th, 2013, 09:13 PM

I am not so sure the answer is poor admission standards. Are the students being adequately prepared in their high school class work? Are college courses being offered with adequate class numbers and in great enough frequency to allow graduation in 4 years? Is the level of teaching up to a competent standard.? A lot more complicated than simply admission standards.

A worthwhile discussion but I am not sure that this discussion belongs in a NDSU vs. Furman football thread.

SCPALADIN
December 6th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Likely...

When it comes to the most expensive schools that NDSU has played, Furman, Lehigh and Lafayette are likely the Top 3. Wofford is probably a half-step behind...

If you live in the dorms it is roughly $48K. Living in the apartments brings it to almost $50K. When I started Furman in 1994 it was roughly $19K and I was paying less than half of that after assistance. Most Furman students are receiving some sort of tuition assistance in the form of scholarships and/or grants.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 6th, 2013, 09:28 PM
I am not so sure the answer is poor admission standards. Are the students being adequately prepared in their high school class work? Are college courses being offered with adequate class numbers and in great enough frequency to allow graduation in 4 years? Is the level of teaching up to a competent standard.? A lot more complicated than simply admission standards.

A worthwhile discussion but I am not sure that this discussion belongs in a NDSU vs. Furman football thread.

There should be far fewer kids going to college. Kids simply go to college these days because it's the thing to do.

I read a couple of days ago that Eastern Washington had an "open enrollment" policy. I didn't know what that meant so I looked it up. I was shocked to find out that such a thing actually existed. I'm not trying to hate on EWU, but literally accepting everyone is a bit ridiculous imo. This was one of the main reasons why some believe their football coach likes where he's at.

College should remain a privilege. Like driving, there has to be some sort of standard....

BTW, I like discussions like this, especially compared to the useless smack. I love to learn about different schools. I've been fortunate enough to visit a lot of places, including NDSU. It's interesting to a lot of people...

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2013, 09:34 PM

they need the money

maine612
December 6th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Bowling Green is pounding the crap out of NIU. Interesting. AGS.

Green1
December 6th, 2013, 09:48 PM
There should be far fewer kids going to college. Kids simply go to college these days because it's the thing to do.

I read a couple of days ago that Eastern Washington had an "open enrollment" policy. I had didn't know what that meant so I looked it up. I was shocked to find out that such a thing actually existed. I'm not trying to hate on EWU, but literally accepting everyone is a bit ridiculous imo. This was one of the main reasons why some believe their football coach likes where he's at.

College should remain a privilege. Like driving, there has to be some sort of standard....

Part of the problem, in my opinion, is that kids are told from when they are young that they NEED to go to college in order to be successful. In fact, they may have a more successful and fulfilling life being an electrician, plumber, etc. Unfortunately, some of these professions are not held in high enough regard in our society and not enough encouragement/support is given to students interested in these fields. Not everyone is best served by a four year degree. Many of these individuals enter into college only to find that this is not the "road" they are best suited for.

gofurman
December 6th, 2013, 09:51 PM
. Cincinnati basketball had a 0% grad rate in the late 90's under Bob Huggins....

Yes. Huggins cares NONE about his kids futures - I remember that stat, bad When even ESPN smacks a program for poor academics

gofurman
December 6th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Part of the problem, in my opinion, is that kids are told from when they are young that they NEED to go to college in order to be successful. In fact, they may have a more successful and fulfilling life being an electrician, plumber, etc. Unfortunately, some of these professions are not held in high enough regard in our society and not enough encouragement/support is given to students interested in these fields. Not everyone is best served by a four year degree. Many of these individuals enter into college only to find that this is not the "road" they are best suited for.

Agree

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 6th, 2013, 09:56 PM
While at NDSU, I had a professor from an SEC school that said something like "you guys actually make your football players go to class up here."

I know the engineering curriculum is harder than some of the major BCS state schools. Required course load is lighter other places and I've interviewed guys I think would have never made it through SU.

Furman's grad rate is impressive. Probably why you guys are successful is your kids play smart football.

SEC players are majoring in football. While i'll "accept it" at that level, that should not be the case in FCS.

Furman is very much a Patriot League "type" school. Following Lehigh's loss to Furman in the 2001 playoffs, HC Pete Lembo (now at Ball State) began to use Furman as the model for LU football.

Bisonoline
December 6th, 2013, 09:57 PM
That sounds about right. With state schools I can never decide what is best, real high admission standards that get better graduation rates, or a lower standards that give everyone a shot. I don't want people to pile up loans that they will get no benefit from, but I feel state schools have an obligation to be that opportunity for residents. A few years back, I had mixed feelings about the University of Minnesota dropping their General College (read as junior college to help lower level students work their way into the broader university), in favor of adding more Honors College options to help make the University more prestigious. I saw more of my classmates having mo shot at the U of MN, and it was unfortunate. Fortunately, it was a moot point to me as I had been accepted anyway, but chose NDSU when I realized how much cheaper I could get my pharmacy degree. Thankfully, I have been able to see NDSU beat the Goofs in football as well. Back to the game, go bison!

I dont think you should make your standards so high that the average kid doesnt have a shot at getting an education. College is about educating. To take away opportunities flies in the face of that. Even if a kid comes in for only a couple of years and leaves he will take something away from the experience.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 6th, 2013, 10:04 PM
I dont think you should make your standards so high that the average kid doesnt have a shot at getting an education. College is about educating. To take away opportunities flies in the face of that. Even if a kid comes in for only a couple of years and leaves he will take something away from the experience.

The U of Minny is a world class institution. They don't have to apologize to anyone for having the highest standards within the Minnesota system. I'm sure those students who do well at the regional schools are given the opportunity to transfer to the flagship.

Northwestern, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin are the Big 10 schools that I would have gone to in a second in hindsight...

Bisonator
December 6th, 2013, 10:13 PM
I don't know how much you can take from the 4 year grad rates. When I went to NDSU most engineering students were graduating in 5-6 years. Mainly because it included an internship. I went for 3 years, interned a year and then worked full time for 2 years while I finished up my degree. I know a lot of my friends that did similar and got there degrees in 5-6 years. There are quite a few FB player's working on engineering degrees at NDSU.

Green1
December 6th, 2013, 10:15 PM

Agreed but this negatively affects graduation rates. So, is graduation rate a true measure of the worth of a school?

maine612
December 6th, 2013, 10:26 PM
NDSU engineers are solid...that much I know. BGSU > NIU

Hammersmith
December 6th, 2013, 10:39 PM
I think kids suffer from homesickness a lot more in the rural states. Montana State has a low retention rate because kids simply aren't use to being away from their families for extended periods of time. In the East kids are conditioned more to "going away to school" imo. Half of the bag boys at my club drop out of MSU and move home. Our retention rate suffers too.

UND was modeled after a the smaller liberal arts colleges of the east while NDSU opened as the state's land grant institution. When you're basically forced to accept EVERYONE, grad rates will suffer. This is part of the reason why UND has a little better national reputation.

Speaking about the UND section, it's a little(read: a lot) annoying that people continue to believe that. UND's graduation rate is almost identical to NDSU's. We're always within a couple percentage points. Additionally, NDSU incoming classes are typically slightly better than their UND counterparts in objective measurements. For all intents and purposes, the schools are dead equal when it comes to the students. A few years back, UND made a big show about how they were raising admission standards. The dirty little secret is that they raised them to the level NDSU had been at for years.

As to the larger discussion, there is little doubt that NDSU's (and UND's) admission standards are too low. But it's a function of our state's psychology. The general public seems to believe that everyone should have the right to get into every state school no matter their ability level. Basically, standards are set so low that graduating from high school in ND generally gets you into the top schools(NDSU & UND). Now if we were Wyoming with only one 4-year school I could see the argument. But we've got six flipping 4-year schools and five more 2-year schools in a state with 700k people. And that's just the public colleges. We've got two more private 4-year schools. It's ridiculous. And we can't shut any of them down because most are in the state constitution and that requires a vote of the whole state.

Our last chancellor of the university system came up with a plan to separate the colleges into tiers with different admissions standards. The 2-year schools would be open to everyone. Three of the 4-year schools would have low but acceptable standards(very small schools). Another 4-year would have slightly higher standards. NDSU & UND would be set significantly above that. They translated a bunch of info into a simple score and the levels were 180, 190 & 210. Well, they ran the numbers this year to see what would've happened if the new standards had been in place this fall and 41% of NDSU's freshmen and 46% of UND's freshmen wouldn't have made the cut(remember that NDSU & UND had the exact same standards under this proposal). They're already talking about relaxing the standards if they even implement them at all. Also, the guy who proposed them got ran out of the state on a rail less than a year into his first three-year contract(for both good and bad reasons).

We are a seriously f--ked up state when it comes to higher education.

Hammersmith
December 6th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Oh, and the graduation rate for the football team is in the mid 70's according to the NCAA's GSR(73%-78%).

Bisonoline
December 6th, 2013, 11:24 PM
The U of Minny is a world class institution. They don't have to apologize to anyone for having the highest standards within the Minnesota system. I'm sure those students who do well at the regional schools are given the opportunity to transfer to the flagship.

Northwestern, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin are the Big 10 schools that I would have gone to in a second in hindsight...

Never said they had to apologize. They can run their school as they see fit. I have a opinion and voiced it.

Darlinikki150
December 6th, 2013, 11:27 PM
It isn't that I'm not excited about the game or the team. I'm just not excited about the team we are playing. And this weather is bumming me out, I have a 12 inch titanium rod in my thigh- not conducive in this brutal cold. :)

NoDak 4 Ever
December 6th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Wait. Are the teams sitting down and taking a test tomorrow? That's going to be really boring on television.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 6th, 2013, 11:30 PM
It isn't that I'm not excited about the game or the team. I'm just not excited about the team we are playing. And this weather is bumming me out, I have a 12 inch titanium rod in my thigh- not conducive in this brutal cold. :)

Oh yeah? I got one BETWEEN my thighs!

http://www.evilskippyatwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/rim-shot-johnny-utah.jpg

Drblankstare
December 6th, 2013, 11:51 PM
This freezing ass whether got me thinking. Does anyone know the coldest game the Bison have ever played in?

Thank God for the dome.

maine612
December 7th, 2013, 12:00 AM
Wait. Are the teams sitting down and taking a test tomorrow? That's going to be really boring on television.

Check out "chessboxing" sometime in youtube.....it's real...and no surprise dominated by Russians.

Green1
December 7th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Speaking about the UND section, it's a little(read: a lot) annoying that people continue to believe that. UND's graduation rate is almost identical to NDSU's. We're always within a couple percentage points. Additionally, NDSU incoming classes are typically slightly better than their UND counterparts in objective measurements. For all intents and purposes, the schools are dead equal when it comes to the students. A few years back, UND made a big show about how they were raising admission standards. The dirty little secret is that they raised them to the level NDSU had been at for years.

As to the larger discussion, there is little doubt that NDSU's (and UND's) admission standards are too low. But it's a function of our state's psychology. The general public seems to believe that everyone should have the right to get into every state school no matter their ability level. Basically, standards are set so low that graduating from high school in ND generally gets you into the top schools(NDSU & UND). Now if we were Wyoming with only one 4-year school I could see the argument. But we've got six flipping 4-year schools and five more 2-year schools in a state with 700k people. And that's just the public colleges. We've got two more private 4-year schools. It's ridiculous. And we can't shut any of them down because most are in the state constitution and that requires a vote of the whole state.

Our last chancellor of the university system came up with a plan to separate the colleges into tiers with different admissions standards. The 2-year schools would be open to everyone. Three of the 4-year schools would have low but acceptable standards(very small schools). Another 4-year would have slightly higher standards. NDSU & UND would be set significantly above that. They translated a bunch of info into a simple score and the levels were 180, 190 & 210. Well, they ran the numbers this year to see what would've happened if the new standards had been in place this fall and 41% of NDSU's freshmen and 46% of UND's freshmen wouldn't have made the cut(remember that NDSU & UND had the exact same standards under this proposal). They're already talking about relaxing the standards if they even implement them at all. Also, the guy who proposed them got ran out of the state on a rail less than a year into his first three-year contract(for both good and bad reasons).

We are a seriously f--ked up state when it comes to higher education.

Ummm, no.

A dichotomy in the way our state the state thinks about higher learning does not mean it's " seriously ****ed up ". It means we have a disagreement in the way we think of who should be going to college. College can be a life changing experience, wheather you graduate or not. I am happy that North Dakotans place such an emphasis on the OPPORTUNITY to go to college.

344Johnson
December 7th, 2013, 12:39 AM

Of the 15 kids or so that came here from my high school class to NDSU, there are probably 5 or 6 of us left. People don't always like the "Big City" (seriously no sarcasm, Fargo is considered HUGE in ND) feel and would rather go to the small schools around ND.

robsnotes4u
December 7th, 2013, 02:43 AM
Ummm, no.

A dichotomy in the way our state the state thinks about higher learning does not mean it's " seriously ****ed up ". It means we have a disagreement in the way we think of who should be going to college. College can be a life changing experience, wheather you graduate or not. I am happy that North Dakotans place such an emphasis on the OPPORTUNITY to go to college.

Arent both schools under the same system, therefore they have same qualifications? I do know this the standards have been raised and this is the first time in years that there were open dorm rooms at UND. I have a daughter that is a Junior, and a son that will be attnending next year.

Both are great institutions, the difference is in the degree you are pursuing.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 7th, 2013, 06:11 AM
GameDay for Bison Nation!!!!!

Interesting stats for Furman:

Scoring offense: 74th
Scoring defense: 36th

Total offense: 103rd
Total defense: 72nd

Furman gives up more rushing yards-passing yards-1st downs to their opponents.

Bison roll 42-10

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2013, 06:19 AM
what the temp up in Fargo this morning? Just wanted you boys to know it's feels a little cool down here as well, 75 degrees is just a bit to chilly for my morning dip in the pool..... enjoy the game now.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 7th, 2013, 06:33 AM
what the temp up in Fargo this morning? Just wanted you boys to know it's feels a little cool down here as well, 75 degrees is just a bit to chilly for my morning dip in the pool..... enjoy the game now.

In Fargo it is -16 right now with a wind chill of -35.

That's warm compared to here in the NW MN of -26 and -42 wind chill.

:D

DJKyR0
December 7th, 2013, 07:15 AM
I filled gas this morning and have blisters from where my bare hand grabbed the metal on the pump.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2013, 07:20 AM
I filled gas this morning and have blisters from where my bare hand grabbed the metal on the pump.

you mean the gas is not frozen

darell1976
December 7th, 2013, 08:09 AM
you mean the gas is not frozen

Not with ethonal in it.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 7th, 2013, 08:20 AM
70 degrees in South Georgia. xcoolx

I'll take the scalding hot summers to not deal with that crap. God bless the South. xnodx

marenlee
December 7th, 2013, 08:22 AM

I'll take the scalding hot summers to not deal with that crap. God bless the South. xnodx

Gnat weather however... :(

NDBISONGUY
December 7th, 2013, 08:36 AM
It would be a good day to vaporize some hot water instantly.

IBleedYellow
December 7th, 2013, 08:38 AM
I've gotta go check it out!

Drblankstare
December 7th, 2013, 09:06 AM

Thats the dirty little secret about living up here. Our summers can be hotter than balls also. They dont last as long as they do in the South, but can still be hot.

BisonFan02
December 7th, 2013, 09:24 AM
I've gotta go check it out!

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave. :D. it is a balmy -15° in line for tailgating. Let's do this!

deez_na
December 7th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Game on kvly today?

Darlinikki150
December 7th, 2013, 11:38 AM
I'm at Labbys, bus is I'm the shop. No tailgating but drinking is coming along splendidly!

Twentysix
December 7th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Game on kvly today?

All playoff games are only on ESPN gameplan and ESPN3.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 7th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Heading to my normal KC watch spot. Balmy 19 here in Lawrence, it was 4 when I woke up.

DaBizon
December 7th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Woke up to 32 degrees, will be 50 by game time. Don't miss Fargo winter

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hammerhead
December 7th, 2013, 01:15 PM
I started out as an EE major and was one of those 3 out of 4 who changed majors. It ended up earning a B.S. after 5 years.

I took me 5 1/3 years to graduate from NDSU.