PDA

View Full Version : New Hampshire at Maine

maine612
November 30th, 2013, 03:02 PM
A rematch from the season's final week won handily by the Wildcats. I expect a close battle in Orono. discuss.

UNHWildcat18
November 30th, 2013, 03:07 PM
UNH's momentum and play is at its peak, Maine has had two weeks to prepare for them but they aren't going to match up any better than they did a week ago.. UNH wins at Maine 37-24

Bogus Megapardus
November 30th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Congratulations again to UNH.

I'll make some custom UNH vs. Maine game avatars for UNH fans in honor of the win over Lafayette. PM me with your request and I'll do the best I can.

UNHknowledge
November 30th, 2013, 03:34 PM
I'm nervous, but confident that we can make it two against the Bears because the defense is playing with an edge that was not present in the games that we gave up 17+pt leads (3 times). Go 'Cats!

maine612
November 30th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Maine played poorly at Durham. A clear let down game for Maine after winning the CAA crown. wildcat fans have plenty to be excited about and confident in. however, winning in Orono is quite a different feat. I expect Maine to contain the run, force UNH to throw and to force mistakes. Obviously UNH could win, but I expect Maine to defend home turf and advance with a 27-20 win.

TigerFen
November 30th, 2013, 04:02 PM
I give a slight advantage to Maine because they should be better after a two week break. I think they force more turnovers than UNH will. It's going to be an awesome game though.

Twentysix
November 30th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Before the first UNH Maine matchup I would have thought maine would have won handily.. but UNH seems to be on a big upswing, should be a close game.

UNHknowledge
November 30th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Maine played poorly at Durham. A clear let down game for Maine after winning the CAA crown. wildcat fans have plenty to be excited about and confident in. however, winning in Orono is quite a different feat. I expect Maine to contain the run, force UNH to throw and to force mistakes. Obviously UNH could win, but I expect Maine to defend home turf and advance with a 27-20 win.

This is a very fair assessment, especially if UM can do the things that you are expecting them to. But yeah, if UNH's run game is slowed down, I am afraid of our passing game being too 1 dimensional. Even today, it seemed that Goldrich was telegraphing the ball to Harris (fortunately, Lafayette's defenders simply couldn't cover). I'd like to see us get the ball to our TE's more (Spears and Co.). It's going to be an awesome game, though. 27-20 is a pretty accurate score either way (UNH or UM) on top. I'll go ahead and use the same score with the 'Cats on top. It's going to be ridiculously cold, but it shouldn't be a factor as both of these programs are pretty much weather resistant.

swaghook
November 30th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Maine in this one for 2 reasons at home and hard to beat a team twice in one year.

youwouldno
November 30th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Hard for me to get past the drubbing UNH put on Maine last week. Should be close but I like UNH to win again.

citdog
November 30th, 2013, 06:32 PM
TOUGH to beat a good team twice in the same season Black Bears 27-24

centennial
November 30th, 2013, 06:43 PM
I have Maine winning 21-17 but I am not sure any more. Should be a good game either way..

maine612
November 30th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Fill the Steins to dear ol' Maine

Mattymc727
December 1st, 2013, 05:15 PM

Mattymc727
December 1st, 2013, 05:19 PM
Real excited about this one. Im leaning towards Maine at this point, put it will certainly be a close one. UNH is playing hot right now, but Maine has had 2 weeks to work on what went wrong in Durham, plus they have the home field advantage. UNH needs to be able to run the ball in order to succeed, so that is the key in my opinion. UNH has also been getting lots of QB pressure recently so hopefully they can continue that defensively.

Wouldn't be surprised if this ends in the last 2 mins or overtime. Might be headed up to Orono to catch this one with buddies. Never been to Orono.

maine612
December 1st, 2013, 05:22 PM
Real excited about this one. Im leaning towards Maine at this point, put it will certainly be a close one. UNH is playing hot right now, but Maine has had 2 weeks to work on what went wrong in Durham, plus they have the home field advantage. UNH needs to be able to run the ball in order to succeed, so that is the key in my opinion. UNH has also been getting lots of QB pressure recently so hopefully they can continue that defensively.

Wouldn't be surprised if this ends in the last 2 mins or overtime. Might be headed up to Orono to catch this one with buddies. Never been to Orono.

Have a safe trip and be sure to stop at Pats for a pizza and beer.

Mattymc727
December 1st, 2013, 05:45 PM

Cool photo from the UNH @ Maine game in 1965. That was one of Maine's best teams ever, similar situation this year....

ngineer
December 1st, 2013, 07:41 PM
While the 'odds' say beating the same team, and a very good team, twice in three weeks are long; I'm inclined to got with UNH because of the big intangible.."big Mo". Sitting around last week could have helped Maine if they had any significant 'dings', but it can also effect a team's rhythm. I'm picking the 'Cats to say "Nein Stein" and "Forget the Maine" in 2 OTs, 42-35.

mainejeff
December 2nd, 2013, 11:55 AM
While the 'odds' say beating the same team, and a very good team, twice in three weeks are long; I'm inclined to got with UNH because of the big intangible.."big Mo". Sitting around last week could have helped Maine if they had any significant 'dings', but it can also effect a team's rhythm.

Maine hasn't been in rhythm since they beat Villanova back in October.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2013, 02:01 PM
TOUGH to beat a good team twice in the same season Black Bears 27-24

This is what I predicted in the AGS Bracket Challenge, though after watching UNH's Leopardmemberment this weekend I'm wondering if I made a mistake.

maine612
December 2nd, 2013, 02:27 PM
Maine hasn't been in rhythm since they beat Villanova back in October.

Hey Jeff...good to see you over here!

Maine has NOT been in rhythm primarily because of injuries...We lost a couple of key folks on both sides of the ball that threw us off-kilter. Most are back...most are healthy...and most are hungry. New Hampshire could win, but they are going to have to knock out a bunch of rested and ready Black Bears.

Pards Rule
December 2nd, 2013, 03:07 PM
This is what I predicted in the AGS Bracket Challenge, though after watching UNH's Leopardmemberment this weekend I'm wondering if I made a mistake.

I wouldn't use the Pards as a measuring stick here. They only made the playoffs due to autobid. If it were before 2004 they wouldn't have gotten the at-large.

lydiabixby
December 2nd, 2013, 04:05 PM
Hey Jeff...good to see you over here!

Maine has NOT been in rhythm primarily because of injuries...We lost a couple of key folks on both sides of the ball that threw us off-kilter. Most are back...most are healthy...and most are hungry. New Hampshire could win, but they are going to have to knock out a bunch of rested and ready Black Bears.

Question maine612, will Tight End Justin Perillo be sound?

maine612
December 2nd, 2013, 04:10 PM
Question maine612, will Tight End Justin Perillo be sound?

I don't know him personally. He played a couple of weeks ago and had a minimal impact on the game. I'm hoping they can slap some spit and duct tape on the guy and he can give us a few monster catches. Need him to go for 5 catches, 65 yards and a score and I'll be happy.

maine612
December 2nd, 2013, 04:14 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QF1Nn58GqZ4/Uo4KJ0RdfmI/AAAAAAAAASc/o7VNB1lfBLc/s1600/Maine+Football+1965+Color.png

Cool picture from 1965 UNH - Maine matchup. Credit to Dunbar from the Maine chat site.

Pards Rule
December 2nd, 2013, 04:23 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QF1Nn58GqZ4/Uo4KJ0RdfmI/AAAAAAAAASc/o7VNB1lfBLc/s1600/Maine+Football+1965+Color.png

Cool picture from 1965 UNH - Maine matchup. Credit to Dunbar from the Maine chat site.

Was this in Durham, NH? Looking toward home side? And who is whom? There is now a big building behind the home stands. And what is Bob's Copper Wagon in the background? A lunch truck? Please advise!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 2nd, 2013, 04:29 PM
I think it's at Maine. The trees are taller behind the UNH stands like those and there isn't a building in that location in Durham. And actually our visitor's side bleachers were larger than this back then. And I've seen other photos of Maine from back then with the Michigan/Princeton/Delaware type helmet. IIRC, one of the legendary Delaware coaches worked at Maine back around this time.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 2nd, 2013, 04:32 PM
Fascinating watching this thread continue on and on!! xrotatehx :)

Gordon Shumway
December 2nd, 2013, 04:33 PM
Was this in Durham, NH? Looking toward home side? And who is whom? There is now a big building behind the home stands. And what is Bob's Copper Wagon in the background? A lunch truck? Please advise!

That is definitely not in Durham, and the team on the other side of the ball is not UNH. :D

Bogus Megapardus
December 2nd, 2013, 04:37 PM

The "winged" helmets (like Princeton/Michigan) were used by Maine in the 60s. This pic most likely is at Maine.

http://nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/Maine_OLD4.gif

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 2nd, 2013, 04:40 PM
That is definitely not in Durham, and the team on the other side of the ball is not UNH. :D

I thought the same thing Gordon. Those uniforms don't look like what I recall UNH wearing in 1968 when I was a freshman. Doubt there was much change in three seasons.

maine612
December 2nd, 2013, 04:45 PM
This is at Maine... Gannett Hall in the background... Pretty sure UNH is in white.

lydiabixby
December 2nd, 2013, 04:45 PM
18600 A person from another thread asked if the Bryce-Cowell musket was physically evident. Here it is, in what would you say, 1958 or so?

maine612
December 2nd, 2013, 04:46 PM
18600 A person from another thread asked if the Bryce-Cowell musket was physically evident. Here it is, in what would you say, 1958 or so?

Respect the photo! The musket is alive and well in the Durham locker room....for now.

Gordon Shumway
December 2nd, 2013, 05:11 PM
I thought the same thing Gordon. Those uniforms don't look like what I recall UNH wearing in 1968 when I was a freshman. Doubt there was much change in three seasons.

The picture below is from Maine/UNH in 1966. The picture is a bad scan, but you get the idea. UNH did not have blue helmets back then, nor did they have those long sleeve shirts w/two toned shoulder stripes. I don't remember for certain, but I don't recall them even wearing blue pants on the road.

One of two things is going on here. Either that is not UNH in 1965 from the previous picture, or the picture is not from 1965. My gut is telling me that picture is a lot older than 1965, and more likely from the 50's, and that is well before even my time there.

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g442/rupa7872/Scan5_zpse3a6c48f.jpg

lydiabixby
December 2nd, 2013, 05:43 PM
Has to be later in the 1960s. Those Riddell helmets (#49 & 83) with the double crossbars are not from the 1950s. Nor is the fact that everyone is wearing low cuts. Check out the student looking person with his tie and sport coat upper left.

Gordon Shumway
December 2nd, 2013, 06:04 PM
Has to be later in the 1960s. Those Riddell helmets (#49 & 83) with the double crossbars are not from the 1950s. Nor is the fact that everyone is wearing low cuts. Check out the student looking person with his tie and sport coat upper left.

You misunderstood. The picture I posted above was from 1966. My comment about the 50's was related to the picture purporting to be from 1965.

lydiabixby
December 2nd, 2013, 06:44 PM
I didn't so much misunderstand Gordon as much as I recklessly read through your post entirely overlooking your first sentence. My error.

ngineer
December 2nd, 2013, 07:54 PM
The picture below is from Maine/UNH in 1966. The picture is a bad scan, but you get the idea. UNH did not have blue helmets back then, nor did they have those long sleeve shirts w/two toned shoulder stripes. I don't remember for certain, but I don't recall them even wearing blue pants on the road.

One of two things is going on here. Either that is not UNH in 1965 from the previous picture, or the picture is not from 1965. My gut is telling me that picture is a lot older than 1965, and more likely from the 50's, and that is well before even my time there.

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g442/rupa7872/Scan_zpsc5b6540f.jpg

The helmets and jersey styles are definitely mid 1960's...in black and white they look like Lehigh v. Delaware in that time frame.

ngineer
December 2nd, 2013, 07:58 PM
The "winged" helmets (like Princeton/Michigan) were used by Maine in the 60s. This pic most likely is at Maine.

http://nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/Maine_OLD4.gif

You will piss of any Tigers on here. The 'winged" helmet originated at Princeton..and they keep reminding you of that in their program! Then took a ride to Ann Arbor, and then taken to Newark with Dave Nelson.

ngineer
December 2nd, 2013, 07:59 PM
I think this could be the best game of the weekend. Two neighboring rivals at this level of the playoffs will bring and extra level of intensity.

Neighbor2
December 2nd, 2013, 08:08 PM
ngineer,

That sure looks like old Taylor Stadium with its visitor side grandstand ending at 50 yard line.

Gordon Shumway
December 2nd, 2013, 08:43 PM
OK, I was able to clean up that scan a little. Here it is with a couple others from the same game in 1966.

The last pic is Kurt Volherbst kicking the game winner as time ran out. Final score UNH 10 - Maine 7.

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g442/rupa7872/Scan3_zps6240d217.jpg
http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g442/rupa7872/Scan4_zpsc60c3519.jpg

maine612
December 2nd, 2013, 09:11 PM
OK, I was able to clean up that scan a little. Here it is with a couple others from the same game in 1966.

The last pic is Kurt Volherbst kicking the game winner as time ran out. Final score UNH 10 - Maine 7.

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g442/rupa7872/Scan3_zps6240d217.jpg
http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g442/rupa7872/Scan4_zpsc60c3519.jpg

Vey cool. It won't be 10-7 Sunday and no one is kicking straight on!

dunbar
December 2nd, 2013, 10:05 PM
After checking the helmet project, that picture is from the Maine-Bowdoin game at Alumni Field in 1965.

UNH Fanboi
December 2nd, 2013, 10:22 PM
According to the betting lines Maine is favored by 3.5 and the O/U is 56.

maine612
December 2nd, 2013, 10:24 PM
According to the betting lines Maine is favored by 3.5 and the O/U is 56.

Is it fanboy? Or like the French, fan bwa? I would take the points if I was a betting man....and the under.

- - - Updated - - -

After checking the helmet project, that picture is from the Maine-Bowdoin game at Alumni Field in 1965.

Come on Dunbar....I counted on you!

dunbar
December 3rd, 2013, 09:15 AM
Is it fanboy? Or like the French, fan bwa? I would take the points if I was a betting man....and the under.

- - - Updated - - -

Come on Dunbar....I counted on you!

In fairness, I found the picture on the Fill the Steins site and their caption said UNH. Oh well, still a cool pic otherwise...

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 3rd, 2013, 09:20 AM
All these old photos have me thinking. There have been a ton of memorable moments/game in this series, 2008 in the snow being my favorite.

Back in 79 or 80 there was a game played in Durham that Maine won on a play that resulted in a NCAA rules change iirc. I'll admit those were fuzzy years for me.

My facts may not be exactly right on this. I'd like clarification if someone has it.

Late in the game Maine was lining up for a game tying field goal. After receiving the snap the holder tossed the ball up where the kicker batted the ball forward into the end zone where Maine recovered for a touchdown. What made it a legal play is that the Maine kicker batted the ball with a fist rather then open hand. As I understand it the rules were rewritten after that.

Does anyone have any insight to that play/game?

Pards Rule
December 3rd, 2013, 10:01 AM
Vey cool. It won't be 10-7 Sunday and no one is kicking straight on!

I think the sign in the back in the last photo (of winning kick) says "RE-ELECT LBJ" - they start early up there you know!!

maine612
December 3rd, 2013, 11:01 AM
All these old photos have me thinking. There have been a ton of memorable moments/game in this series, 2008 in the snow being my favorite.

Back in 79 or 80 there was a game played in Durham that Maine won on a play that resulted in a NCAA rules change iirc. I'll admit those were fuzzy years for me.

My facts may not be exactly right on this. I'd like clarification if someone has it.

Late in the game Maine was lining up for a game tying field goal. After receiving the snap the holder tossed the ball up where the kicker batted the ball forward into the end zone where Maine recovered for a touchdown. What made it a legal play is that the Maine kicker batted the ball with a fist rather then open hand. As I understand it the rules we're rewritten after that.

This is basically an accurate rundown. The Maine radio guys talk about from time to time.

- - - Updated - - -

Late in the game Maine was lining up for a game tying field goal. After receiving the snap the holder tossed the ball up where the kicker batted the ball forward into the end zone where Maine recovered for a touchdown. What made it a legal play is that the Maine kicker batted the ball with a fist rather then open hand. As I understand it the rules we're rewritten after that.

This is basically an accurate rundown. The Maine radio guys talk about from time to time.

dunbar
December 3rd, 2013, 11:48 AM
The bat-ball trick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEA3vAOIKbc

UNH Fanboi
December 3rd, 2013, 11:52 AM
The bat-ball trick:

How was that ever legal?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2013, 11:52 AM
The bat-ball trick:

WOW What a great find!

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 3rd, 2013, 12:14 PM
How was that ever legal?

Because the ball was batted with a closed fist as opposed to and open hand it was within the rules as written at that time.
The rules were later rewritten

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 3rd, 2013, 12:17 PM
So much for the phrase, "Queer as a left-handed football bat." At least now I know it's origin. Truly a great and wacky find.

Pards Rule
December 3rd, 2013, 01:03 PM
The bat-ball trick:

WOW CLASSIC!

- - - Updated - - -

Because the ball was batted with a closed fist as opposed to and open hand it was within the rules as written at that time.
The rules were later rewritten

How was it written then? And changed?

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 3rd, 2013, 01:13 PM
WOW CLASSIC!

- - - Updated - - -

How was it written then? And changed?

I'm unsure the of the exact rule.
I just remember that it had to do with striking or "batting" the ball with a closed fist was not specifically against the rules at the time.
The story goes that the rule was changed after that play

blukeys
December 3rd, 2013, 01:17 PM
You will piss of any Tigers on here. The 'winged" helmet originated at Princeton..and they keep reminding you of that in their program! Then took a ride to Ann Arbor, and then taken to Newark with Dave Nelson.

Nelson had a stop off in Maine prior to Newark.

Princeton is correct their coach originated the helmet. Their coach then took the helmet to Ann Arbor.

Both Dave Nelson and Tubby Raymond were Michigan athletes and grads.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 3rd, 2013, 01:29 PM
http://bangordailynews.com/2011/08/19/sports/hodgson-returns-to-umaine-in-new-role/

Turns out Dave Nelson was on the rules committee

On Oct. 14, 1978, in a steady rain at Durham, N.H., UMaine head coach Jack Bicknell’s team was tied 0-0 with New Hampshire. The Bears lined up for an apparent field-goal try from the UNH 28-yard line, but Bicknell had called for the “bat ball” play.
“We had practiced this all during the week,” Hodgson said. “Sometimes it worked, but most of the time it didn’t.”
Bill LeRoy hiked the ball back to holder Tony Trafton, who tossed the ball up to Hodgson. He, in turn, spiked the ball volleyball style over the line of scrimmage and into the end zone.
“Our guys, as soon as the ball was snapped, they didn’t block anybody because they knew if they recovered it, they’d get a touchdown,” said Hodgson, who has possession of the film showing the play.
“Bill LeRoy’s pushing Tommy Sullivan out of the way trying to get the ball and (tight end) David Higgins ended up falling on it for a touchdown,” he added.
The game ended in a 7-7 tie.
“The next day they had it on ‘The NFL Today’ and the next week I was in Sports Illustrated,” Hodgson said. “I guess that’s my claim to fame.”
The play caused such a stir nationally that the NCAA football rules committee — including former UMaine head coach Dave Nelson, who had talked about such a play in a book he wrote and who in 1978 was the secretary of the same committee — changed football rules to outlaw such a tactic.

ming01
December 3rd, 2013, 03:34 PM
what are some predictions on this? im torn

UNH Fanboi
December 3rd, 2013, 03:36 PM
I'll go with 28-24 UNH

maine612
December 3rd, 2013, 03:40 PM
I'll go with 28-24 UNH

I think 28-24 is a very good score estimate....could go either way though... Heart says Maine. Head says UNH. I'll go with Maine.

UNHWildCats
December 3rd, 2013, 03:44 PM
I try to avoid predictions since that 2005 UNI debacle.

maine612
December 3rd, 2013, 03:59 PM
I try to avoid predictions since that 2005 UNI debacle.

Got to love the Red Sox avatar..... at least we agree on that!!

UNH Fanboi
December 4th, 2013, 08:25 AM
I don't have anything else to add, but this needs to be bumped ahead of the insufferable Lafayette thread.

TU Tiger Town
December 4th, 2013, 12:22 PM
28-17 UNH

Mattymc727
December 4th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Ill say 24-17 Maine. Maine goes ahead with less than 2 mins left. Maine does not get to Fargo however.

Mattymc727
December 4th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Here is an interesting question. Is it more of a benefit to have a bye week after not playing well? Or to stay on the field with real competition?

Maine coach Cosgrove discussed this a little bit:

“There’s two sides to this: New Hampshire’s been on the field improving and growing, and we got off the field after not playing real well,” Cosgrove said.“Do I think that this [the bye week] can help us? Yes,” he added. “Do I think playing last weekend helped New Hampshire? Yes. It’s really just something we’ll know more about when we play the game.”

maine612
December 4th, 2013, 10:51 PM
Maine 3.5 point faves in Vegas....this is reflected in many of the score predictions....I take the points though because Maine wins 27-24.

UNHFootballAlum
December 5th, 2013, 10:00 AM
isn't that the same line as the last UNH-Maine game?

UNHWildcat18
December 5th, 2013, 10:26 AM
I still see unh playing as well if not better against Maine than they did two weeks ago. Maine has only had an answer for us once in 11 years. Will Maine be able to come out of their slump? Get over injuries? Our offense and defense are only getting more in sync and healthy for that matter. It will be hard mentally on the Maine players if they get down early seeing as that's what happened last time. UNH 31-20

maine612
December 5th, 2013, 12:21 PM
isn't that the same line as the last UNH-Maine game?\

You are correct. However, given the flip in home field, this actually points to a 6 point swing in the actual line (give 3 points to the home team). At NH was actually Maine +6.5 and here its actually Maine +0.5 (if my math is correct). UNH has moved the needle obviously.

maine612
December 5th, 2013, 12:23 PM
I still see unh playing as well if not better against Maine than they did two weeks ago. Maine has only had an answer for us once in 11 years. Will Maine be able to come out of their slump? Get over injuries? Our offense and defense are only getting more in sync and healthy for that matter. It will be hard mentally on the Maine players if they get down early seeing as that's what happened last time. UNH 31-20

I can't argue with this logic. And with the exception of one vocal Maine fan, the entire Maine and UNH fan bases are picking their squads to win...no surprise there. This is going to be a good old fashioned rock fight. I won't be surprised at all to see UNH win......and if they do, they will have my support going forward.

maine612
December 5th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Interesting Maine facts. Maine is the only one syllable state. It is the only state that borders only one other state. It became a state in 1820 as part of the Missouri compromise. It has one Division 1 school. The sun rises first in Maine. Excited about Saturday....

NHwildEcat
December 5th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Interesting Maine facts. Maine is the only one syllable state. It is the only state that borders only one other state. It became a state in 1820 as part of the Missouri compromise. It has one Division 1 school. The sun rises first in Maine. Excited about Saturday....

The sun also sets first on Maine.

UMaineD
December 5th, 2013, 02:21 PM

What injuries????????????????

maine612
December 5th, 2013, 02:28 PM

Well played!

Pards Rule
December 5th, 2013, 03:01 PM

Once also part of Mass before 1820!

maine612
December 5th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Once also part of Mass before 1820!

some people distance themselves from family...others from their previous statehood.

Gordon Shumway
December 5th, 2013, 06:06 PM
some people distance themselves from family...others from their previous statehood.

And none of us blame you in the least. :D

Bogus Megapardus
December 5th, 2013, 06:17 PM
FCS Round 2 Sportsbook:

Towson (-11) vs Fordham o/u 63

Maine (-3½) vs New Hampshire o/u 55

Eastern Illinois (22½) vs Tennessee State o/u 57½

Montana (-7) vs Coastal Carolina o/u 73½

North Dakota State (-29½) vs Furman o/u 47

Eastern Washington (-6) vs South Dakota State o/u 64½

McNeese (-7½) vs Jacksonville State o/u 65

Southeastern Louisiana (-7½) vs Sam Houston o/u 67

Pards Rule
December 5th, 2013, 08:05 PM
FCS Round 2 Sportsbook:

WOW! 29.5? what were we when we played them?

maine612
December 5th, 2013, 08:56 PM
FCS Round 2 Sportsbook:

Wo.w....all kinds of money to be made here.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 5th, 2013, 10:07 PM
The bat-ball trick:

Here's an even cooler piece of trivia surrounding that play. Guess who was wearing UNH #33?; the player who is shown arguing the play? He also stood by and watched UMaine TE, Dvid Higgins, cover the ball in the end zone.

None other than current UNH HFC, Sean McDonnell, ...

Pards Rule
December 6th, 2013, 04:35 AM
Here's an even cooler piece of trivia surrounding that play. Guess who was wearing UNH #33?; the player who is shown arguing the play? He also stood by and watched UMaine TE, Dvid Higgins, cover the ball in the end zone.

Good spot! Haha the one official (lower left) seems to be signaling a no good (like its still a FG atttempt?) while the other official, after thinking about it a few seconds to register what he's just seen, says yes TD - even nodding his head as Coach McDonnell argues the play.

maine612
December 6th, 2013, 07:39 AM

That, my friend, is awesome!!!

Mattymc727
December 6th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Winner of this game is the best football team in New England......

maine612
December 6th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Winner of this game is the best football team in New England......

Outside of the Patriots, I would agree :)

DoubleH
December 6th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Great thread!

Can someone give me the history of the Bryce-Cowells musket? I've always wondered and google didn't turn up much.

maine612
December 6th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Great thread!

Can someone give me the history of the Bryce-Cowells musket? I've always wondered and google didn't turn up much.

The Brice-Cowell Musket, named after former Maine coach Fred Brice and former UNH coach William Cowell, goes to the winner of the game. The musket is a flintlock rifle made by Ebenezer Nutting of Falmouth, Maine, somewhere between 1722 and 1745. The George I period rifle has a 43-inch barrel and is rifled to a .65 caliber.

maine612
December 6th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Maine's three keys to victory.

1. We need to stop the run first and foremost. UNH is a run-first team and has been on fire between the tackles in recent weeks. Put an extra guy in the box if needed and make the NH QB beat us.

2. Maine's receiving corps has to get open and has to make plays. While Maine's running attack was pathetic in Durham, I think this came mostly from our early in ability to get Wash going with the receivers. Moving the sticks with Perillo, Ebeling, Aultmann, etc will set up the run.

3. Special teams have to be great....we need to kick and punt the ball well while covering the return men. Also, Decloux has to make his FGs and XPs when called on to do so.

3a. Don't turn the ball over of course.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 6th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Good spot! Haha the one official (lower left) seems to be signaling a no good (like its still a FG atttempt?) while the other official, after thinking about it a few seconds to register what he's just seen, says yes TD - even nodding his head as Coach McDonnell argues the play.

As it turned out, UMaine Head Coach, Jack Bicknell, spent time before the game informing the officiating crew of his plan to use the play if it became advantageous, even going so far as to explain the rule and to confirm its legality. Bicknell and best friend, UNH HFC Bill Bowes (who worked together at BC) were not on speaking terms with each other post-bat ball play for a few years,...

maine612
December 6th, 2013, 02:59 PM
As it turned out, UMaine Head Coach, Jack Bicknell, spent time before the game informing the officiating crew of his plan to use the play if it became advantageous, even going so far as to explain the rule and to confirm its legality. Bicknell and best friend, UNH HFC Bill Bowes (who worked together at BC) were not on speaking terms with each other post-bat ball play for a few years,...

that is a fantastic little nugget of info.... By the way, I wish New Hampshire would go back to the helmet logo on your avatar. Very cool.

Mattymc727
December 6th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Outside of the Patriots, I would agree :)

meant to say college, whoops.....

An argument could be made for BC, but im not so sure.

If Maine can stop the run, I think its over. Neither Goldrich nor Vailas are good enough to win games all on their own. UNH doesnt have a Ricky Santos anymore.

maine612
December 6th, 2013, 03:10 PM
meant to say college, whoops.....

An argument could be made for BC, but im not so sure.

If Maine can stop the run, I think its over. Neither Goldrich nor Vailas are good enough to win games all on their own. UNH doesnt have a Ricky Santos anymore.

Nico gives me nightmares.

Mattymc727
December 6th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Only if UNH could have its 2005 passing attack, 2010 defense, and todays running game..... Thats a team that would compete with NDSU for the title IMO.

Mattymc727
December 6th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Nico gives me nightmares.

Nico is a hell of a player, and I think next years UNH team will be really talented (Only 4 senior starters this year). I believe his final two choices in recruiting were UNH and Maine....Thank god he chose the right one!

maine612
December 6th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Nico is a hell of a player, and I think next years UNH team will be really talented (Only 4 senior starters this year). I believe his final two choices in recruiting were UNH and Maine....Thank god he chose the right one!

There are certain players who you know will kill you. When I say Nico in the 2011 game in Durham, I knew that wouldn't be the last time he hurt us. Will be glad to see him go!

UNH Fanboi
December 6th, 2013, 03:24 PM

Diabolical. Pretty cool story.

Mattymc727
December 6th, 2013, 03:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gf4J6mH77M

CANT WAIT! GO WILDCATS!!!!!

maine612
December 6th, 2013, 08:36 PM
I wish there was a Friday night game to watch.....

mainejeff
December 7th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Live from Section D in Orono.....stadium is packed and pumped!

Mattymc727
December 7th, 2013, 01:07 PM
No Scoreboard for the game? Is there no power up there? jeeze....

UNHFootballAlum
December 7th, 2013, 01:28 PM
3-0 UNH. Both defenses are playing well

UNHFootballAlum
December 7th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Terrible coverage, great runback

- - - Updated - - -

7-3 Maine

dwtime
December 7th, 2013, 01:35 PM
10-7 UNH WOOOO!

UNH_BLUE
December 7th, 2013, 01:37 PM
10-7 UNH WOOOO!

Great throw! Nice start offensively for UNH!

UNHFootballAlum
December 7th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Goldrich is playing very well. Good pass, good comeback to the football by Mello

Mattymc727
December 7th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Goldrich has looked great so far

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 7th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Big turnover on the punt!

UNH_BLUE
December 7th, 2013, 01:48 PM
That's the 2nd major special teams blunder for New Hampshire! Ridiculous!

UNH_BLUE
December 7th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Maine too greedy after TO

Mattymc727
December 7th, 2013, 01:54 PM
awful ball spot, he got that first.

UNH_BLUE
December 7th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Good job by UNH holding Maine to a FG.

unhfan1
December 7th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Big pick!

Mattymc727
December 7th, 2013, 02:15 PM
LATE HIT!!!! There goes RJ's knee....

UNHWildCats
December 7th, 2013, 02:33 PM
useless refs

Mattymc727
December 7th, 2013, 02:33 PM
UNH is up 20-17 at the half. These refs are awful too.

Pushing and shoving as the teams went into the locker room. Should be a great second half.

UNH_BLUE
December 7th, 2013, 02:53 PM
UNH w/ the ball 1st in the 2nd. They need to do a better job getting the running game going.

UNH_BLUE
December 7th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Terrific play calling by UNH on that opening drive! Excellent touch pass by Goldrich and a very nice catch by Mello.

UNH up by 10 at the beginning of the 3rd!

unhfan1
December 7th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Great punt. Need a three and out.

UNH_BLUE
December 7th, 2013, 03:45 PM
RJ Harris! Huge 1st down deep in NH's end.

unhfan1
December 7th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Please run the ball!

UNH_BLUE
December 7th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Please run the ball!

Damn straight! What a drive!!

UNH 34
ME 20

Less than 7:00 to go.

UNHknowledge
December 7th, 2013, 03:50 PM
YEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unhfan1
December 7th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Great drive! U N H!

unhfan1
December 7th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Ball game!!!

UNHWildcat18
December 7th, 2013, 03:55 PM
UNH gets the ball turnover on downs!

UNH_BLUE
December 7th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Run your offense UNH!

UNH_BLUE
December 7th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Terrific! Absolutely Terrific! Great job UNH! Excellent game plan. Great coaching. Great execution!

Mattymc727
December 7th, 2013, 04:03 PM
WHO'S YOUR DADDY?!?!?!?!?!

UNHknowledge
December 7th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Carty called a GREAT game today. Very balanced: ran well, passed well, got the ball to Harris w/o telegraphing to him, got Spears the ball, had some trickeration...just awesome. D played very well too. Only really broke down twice on special teams (TD and freak punt fumble). Totally out played a very good Maine team at their place. I was nervous going into this one, but this UNH team has shown true grit. Congrats Coach Mac! Best in the business.

RichH2
December 7th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Congrats unh on a great game. Keep going!!

kdinva
December 7th, 2013, 04:11 PM
UNH getting hot at the right time? That shutout loss in Wm'burg triggered a few switches........

UNHWildcat18
December 7th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Called it 37-24. 41-27 Great effort by both teams. great win UNH

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 7th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Well done, Wildcats! Lots to be proud about over the last two months and especially the last three weeks.
In retrospect, how huge was UNH's decision to go for 2 at end of 'Nova game?

Congratulations to Coach Mac, his staff, and all the UNH kids!

UNHknowledge
December 7th, 2013, 04:17 PM
UNH getting hot at the right time? That shutout loss in Wm'burg triggered a few switches........

W&M always has that affect on us. They seem to have our number, but we always respond well against other teams after they beat us.

UNHWildCats
December 7th, 2013, 04:19 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ba6lO1CIMAAjljK.jpg:large

BEAR
December 7th, 2013, 04:25 PM
This one surprised me. Congrats UNH. Good games today!

UNHWildCats
December 7th, 2013, 04:27 PM
This one surprised me. Congrats UNH. Good games today!
it shouldnt have surprised anyone

maine612
December 7th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Congratulations UNH. Can't say I am surprised as they are a quality football team. Good luck the rest of the way.

Mattymc727
December 7th, 2013, 04:31 PM
UNH actually dominated from start to finish. Take away that kick return for a touchdown, and that last garbage time TD, and you are looking at a blowout. This UNH team looks totally different from the beginning of the season and I dont know what happened. Goldrich looked great, and I am actually starting to think he is a pretty good QB.

Im hoping Maine is as good as advertised and not overrated. Hopefully we have a nice showing down south next Saturday.

Mattymc727
December 7th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Congratulations UNH. Can't say I am surprised as they are a quality football team. Good luck the rest of the way.

Great post 612. I thought Maine put on a great New England atmosphere today, and you could hear the crowd all game long, much more than one would at Cowell Stadium. Its nice to see Mainers come out and support the school and coach Cosgrove.

BEAR
December 7th, 2013, 04:35 PM

It was a compliment... But ok. xsmugx

UNHWildCats
December 7th, 2013, 04:36 PM
UNH actually dominated from start to finish. Take away that kick return for a touchdown, and that last garbage time TD, and you are looking at a blowout. This UNH team looks totally different from the beginning of the season and I dont know what happened. Goldrich looked great, and I am actually starting to think he is a pretty good QB.

Im hoping Maine is as good as advertised and not overrated. Hopefully we have a nice showing down south next Saturday.

New Hampshire's problem early in the season was falling apart at half time. They fell apart against Central Michigan and Lehigh. They easily could have been 9-2 this year. Hell they were even up 20-3 on Towson.

UNHknowledge
December 7th, 2013, 04:44 PM
New Hampshire's problem early in the season was falling apart at half time. They fell apart against Central Michigan and Lehigh. They easily could have been 9-2 this year. Hell they were even up 20-3 on Towson.

True. That's what had me pulling my hair out early in the season, but Coach definitely has them playing with a lot more of an edge now. Proud of this team, very proud.

TigerFen
December 7th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Congrats to the wildcats. I really thought Maine was going to be the other team from the CAA in the quarters. UNH has earned their way into quarters. They're a team that is really playing with house money at the moment and that makes them dangerous.

ngineer
December 7th, 2013, 09:37 PM

So what the heck was going on in the locker room at halftime early in the season????(;-) Great game for the 'Cats. Glad I picked you to win today. It really seems like the team has captured a real shot of mojo and hitting on all cylinders. Best of luck in the next round!

Lehigh Football Nation
December 7th, 2013, 11:52 PM
UNH is a different team now than the one that lost to Lehigh, period.

Congrats to the Wildcats! Rooting for them next week!

Pards Rule
December 8th, 2013, 08:11 AM

Nope - not from what i saw last Saturday. I txt a good friend of mine whose son just recently played for Maine and told him UNH was amped up and look out as they are loaded for black bear!

ccd494
December 8th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Fun day. UNH must have run 15-20 gadget plays, tough to prepare for that. Maine just hasnt had an answer for UNH for about 10 years.

the crowd was amazing, I've never seen the stadium rocking like that. Unfortunately with the loss we probably never will again, but I'll take a big time atmosphere for one day.

TribeNomad
December 8th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Nice job Wildcats. I wrote you off midseason. You have a great coach, makes adjustments and it sounds like he inserted some trickery to throw off the Bears.

ColgateTD
December 8th, 2013, 10:16 AM
UNH is a different team now than the one that lost to Lehigh, period.

UNH is the SAME team that took us apart early in the season. Good luck in La. next week.

mainejeff
December 8th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Fun day. UNH must have run 15-20 gadget plays, tough to prepare for that. Maine just hasnt had an answer for UNH for about 10 years.

the crowd was amazing, I've never seen the stadium rocking like that. Unfortunately with the loss we probably never will again, but I'll take a big time atmosphere for one day.

I look at it a bit differently. To me this season laid the foundation for Maine hosting in the future......and giving hope to Maine fans that if you achieve enough during the regular season.......you can host a playoff game. That's pretty exciting IMO! That being said.......I hope that we aren't going to see a steady diet of UNH if (when) we host a playoff game again. Aside form the fact that we just couldn't beat them this season.......I REALLy wanted to see us host an opponent from outside the conference......or the Northeast for that matter. They never had a problem sending Maine on a plane to far far away lands.............

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 8th, 2013, 02:18 PM
I look at it a bit differently. To me this season laid the foundation for Maine hosting in the future......and giving hope to Maine fans that if you achieve enough during the regular season.......you can host a playoff game. That's pretty exciting IMO! That being said.......I hope that we aren't going to see a steady diet of UNH if (when) we host a playoff game again. Aside form the fact that we just couldn't beat them this season.......I REALLy wanted to see us host an opponent from outside the conference......or the Northeast for that matter. They never had a problem sending Maine on a plane to far far away lands.............

Just like UNH in 2005, if you win enough games to get seeded, you can earn home playoff games despite your facilities and/or location. That should be exciting to Maine fans!

And I completely agree with you on the second point, but I fear the NCAA won't be able to resist this type of game in the future. They did it to UNH in 2006 when we got sent to UMass for a Quarterfinal Game. At least that year UNH and UMass played in October rather than the last game of the regular season. That's what really stunk! Maybe they'll skip a year like they did with SoDak State this year, but I fear that the NCAA will schedule Maine-UNH more times than not. But if they do then we better see the same with Villanova-Delaware-Towson-JMU-Richmond-W&M-Elon as well as within other conferences!!!

UNH Fanboi
December 8th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Just like UNH in 2005, if you win enough games to get seeded, you can earn home playoff games despite your facilities and/or location. That should be exciting to Maine fans!

And I completely agree with you on the second point, but I fear the NCAA won't be able to resist this type of game in the future. They did it to UNH in 2006 when we got sent to UMass for a Quarterfinal Game. At least that year UNH and UMass played in October rather than the last game of the regular season. That's what really stunk! Maybe they'll skip a year like they did with SoDak State this year, but I fear that the NCAA will schedule Maine-UNH more times than not. But if they do then we better see the same with Villanova-Delaware-Towson-JMU-Richmond-W&M-Elon as well as within other conferences!!!

There are going to be a lot of intra-conference matchups in the second round with the new format. There are enough weak AQs that can be counted on for losses to set up cheap intra-conference bus trips in the second round.

Gordon Shumway
December 8th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Well, I guess it is safe to say the win two weeks ago wasn't a fluke. The last 11 years in this rivalry have not been kind to Maine. I suspect Cosgrove has developed a deep dislike for Sean McDonnell.

Lehigh'98
December 8th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Based on the quarterfinals this year, there doesn't appear to be a dominant conference. There are 6 represented, with CAA and OVC having 2 teams. Pretty good parody. I really don't think anything would have changed if YSU got in either.

Pards Rule
December 8th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Based on the quarterfinals this year, there doesn't appear to be a dominant conference. There are 6 represented, with CAA and OVC having 2 teams. Pretty good parody. I really don't think anything would have changed if YSU got in either.

Yeah I still rememebr some Penguinhead posting Lafayette didnt deserve (apparently bumping out YSU) in 2005 when we gave App State a run for their money in Boone!