PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Team Capsules

PanthersBlue
November 29th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Here is some of the information was able to gather through some of the members on AGS. I thank you for your time and effort. Sorry this has taken me into the evening hours of today to complete and the team listings I have are not complete. Do to some computer issues over the last few days I lost a few of the teams and the info that was sent to me, sorry. Please feel free to add a team or anything information that might be useful.

I wanted to try this project this year, but I was afraid it was to large for myself to do, if anyone in the future would like to help me out and try this again next year, please let me know. Thanks again to everyone who has helped out.

School: _North Dakota State University_
Head Coach: _Craig Bohl_ Experience at School: _11 years____Record:_100-32__

Pre-Season Prediction (Conference placement, etc.): Pre-season #1 in MVFC and FCS
2013-2014 Schedule (w/scores):
8/30 - @Kansas State – W 24-21
9/7 – Ferris State (D2) – W 56-10
9/21 – Delaware State – W 51-0
9/28 – @South Dakota State – W 20-0
10/5 - Northern Iowa – W 24-23
10/12 – Missouri State – W 41-26
10/19 - @Southern Illinois – W 31-10
10/26 - @Indiana State – W 56-10
11/9 – Illinois State – W 28-10
11/16 - @Youngstown St – W 35-17
11/23 – South Dakota – W 42-0

Top Offensive Player (w/stats):​​​​
Brock Jensen: 165-244 (67.6% completion) 2076yrds, 26 TD 6 INT (5 rushing TDs also)
Sam Ojuri: 151 attempts 1002yrds 6.6 avg 5 TD
John Crockett: 153 attempts 933yrds 6.1 avg 10 TD
Zach Vraa: 49 receptions 874 yds 17.8 avg 11 TD
Ryan Smith: 43 receptions 516 yds 12.0 avg 5 TD

Top Defensive Player (w/stats):
Grant Olson: 79 tackles (27 solo) 4 sacks and 1 INT (out for season)
Colten Heagle: 66 tackles (35 solo) 1 INT

School Playoff Record: _10-1 in FCS, 40-13 overall___
Any facts or tidbits about the team we should know:
http://www.bisonville.com/fanguide/ is a good resource for anyone to review
“Two headed monster”: Ojuri and Crockett lead the way for NDSU on the ground…splitting carries/series throughout the season and it has paid dividends in the second half.
6 points: That is the number of points NDSU has allowed in the 4th quarter this season.
All I do is WIN: Senior QB Brock Jensen broke the career wins record as a QB in the last game of the regular season against USD with 44 wins.
Better away from home?: NDSU has not lost a road game since the 2010 quarterfinals against EWU.
If hosting a game, tell the readers the best place to eat and drink around campus:
On gameday, be sure to visit the tailgate lot on the west side of the dome. Lot opens 5 hours before game, and any visitors will be treated very well (don’t worry about food/drink…walk around and the locals will make sure you are very well fed!)
Before/after gameday:
Food (in no particular order):
JL Beers (multiple locations) – good burgers and a large beer selection
Fargo Billiards and Gastropub – Great selection of food
Rhombus Guys Pizza
Sammy’s Pizza
Beefsteak Club
HoDo
Numerous others….a good suggestion would be to visit Bisonville (yes, I know…) and ask the locals for any suggestions as well if you have a specific request.
Drink (in no particular order and on top of the above restaurants):
Chubs Pub
Bison Turf
Rooters, Old Broadway, etc. – Downtown Fargo/Broadway has numerous bars that are all in walking distance.
Labby’s (close to dome)
Buffalo Wild Wings (close to dome)

School: Fordham University
Head Coach: Joe Moorhead / Experience at School: 2nd Year / Record: 17-6
Pre-Season Prediction (Conference placement, etc.): The Rams were not eligible to win the Patriot League Title this year due to them giving scholarships before the rest of the Patriot League. This is the last year they are under those sanctions.
If you ask most Patriot League fans, however, Fordham was among the favorites to be the best in the conference in the preseason.
Aug 30 – vs. Rhode Island W (51-26)
Sept. 7 – vs. #8 Villanova W (27-24)
Sept. 14 – at Temple W (30-29)
Sept. 21 – vs. Columbia W (52-7)
Sept. 28 – at St. Francis (Pa.) W (38-20)
Oct. 5 – vs. #10/13 Lehigh W (52-34)
Oct. 12 – at Georgetown W (34-12)
Oct.19 – at Yale W (52-31)
Nov. 2 – vs. Holy Cross W (32-30)
Nov. 9 – vs. Bucknell W (23-21)
Nov. 16 – at Lafayette L (14-27)
Nov. 23 – at Colgate W (56-19)

Michael Nebrich, QB, Junior – Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year
In 10 games and one quarter (left Bucknell game in first quarter, missed Lafayette game):
284-379, 74.9 comp %, 3576 yds., 28 TDs, 6 INTs
128 carries, 443 yds, 8 TDs

Stephen Hodge, LB, Junior –Patriot League Defensive Player of the Year
In 12 games: 111 tackles (87 solo, 24 assisted), 5 sacks, 1 INT, 5 Forced Fumbles, 5 pass break ups, 3 QB hurries

School Playoff Record :1-2 (2 Playoff Appearances)
2002 – W at Northeastern 29-24, L at Villanova 24-10
2007 – L at Massachusetts 49-35

- This will be the first home FCS playoff game at Fordham
- The team’s only loss (to PL AQ Lafayette) came without Nebrich playing.
- Fordham runs a no-huddle, up tempo spread offense.
- A Dynamic Passing attack with two 1000 yard receivers: Sam Ajala (1398 yds, 11 TDs) and Tebucky Jones Jr. (1067 yds, 4 TDs) and a third receiver Brian Wetzel with 938 yds, 13 TDs.
- Moorhead brought down Nebrich and Jones Jr. from UConn a year after he made the switch. Those two, Nebrich mainly, have been the key factors in Fordham’s offense this year.
- Nebrich tore his ACL last year against Cornell in Week 4 and his meniscus this year Week 11 against Bucknell.
- The Fordham defense can be had with a strong running attack. Grind them down the field and stop the offense real quick, and things can get out of hand. (Think Stanford against Oregon).
If hosting a game, tell the readers the best place to eat and drink around campus:
- Right off of Fordham’s campus is Arthur Avenue, aka the real Little Italy. Take a stroll down Arthur and experience more Italian cuisine than you’ve ever seen.
- For a very nice (kind of pricey) sit down meal, you can enjoy places such as Mario’s, Dominic’s or Zero Otto Nove.
- For a quick bite to eat, I’d highly recommend Tino’s for a nice Italian sandwich or Full Moon Pizzeria for some of the best specialty slices I’ve ever had.
- All of these places can be found on Arthur Avenue.
- Even if you’re not going to eat, take a walk down Arthur. It’s worth it.

School: New Hampshire
Head Coach: Sean McDonnell Experience at School: 15 seasons Record: 111-70

Pre-Season Prediction (Conference placement, etc.):
2013-2014 Schedule (w/scores): 7-4 (6-2)
At Central Michigan , Sept. 7, L, 24-21
Colgate, Sept. 14 W, 53-23
At Lehigh, Sept. 28 L, 34-27
At Towson, Oct. 5 L, 44-28
Rhode Island, Oct. 12 W, 59-19
Villanova, Oct. 19, W, 29-28
At Stony Brook, Oct. 26 W, 31-13
At William and Mary, Nov. 2 L, 17-0
James Madison, , Nov. 9 W, 33-17
At Albany, Nov. 16 W, 37-20
Maine, Nov. 23 W, 24-3

Top Offensive Player (w/stats):​
Passing: Andy Vailas, Jr, QB, 130/218, 59.6%, 1392 yds, 9 TD, 5 INT
​ Sean Goldrich, So, QB, 90/146, 61.6%, 1125, 9TD, 3 INT​

Rushing: Nico Steriti, Jr, RB, 152 rush/826 yds, 5.4 avg, 7 TD, 1 Fum
​ Chris Setian, Sr, RB, 67 rush/331 yds, 4.9 avg, 4 TD, 1 Fum

Receiving: Justin Mello, SR, WR, 58 rec/797 yds, 13.7 avg, 8 TDs
​ RJ Harris, Jr, WR, 46 rec/603 yds, 13.1 avg, 4 TDs
​ Harold Spears, Jr, TE, 29 rec/378 yds, 13.0 avg, 4 TDs​​

Top Defensive Player (w/stats): Shane McNeely, Jr, LB, 89 total tackles, 4 sacks, 2 FF, 2 INT
​​​​ Manny Asam, Sr, DB, 73 Total tackles, 5 BRUP
​​​​ Cody Muller, Sr, DE, 44 total tackles, 5.5 sacks, 2 FF,

School Playoff Record: 7-14

10 straight years UNH has made the playoffs. Unh has never made it past the quarterfinals in any of those appearences. Well known for the birth of the Chip Kelly offense as he was the offensive coordinator at UNH when Rickey Santos and David Ball broke all of those school records years ago. Known as a well balanced spread offense, with a below average defense, Unh typically scores 30 points per game. After starting the season 1-3, UNH won 6 of 7 to finish the season and make the playoffs, beating previously ranked #4 Maine 24-1 to end the season and win yet another Brice Cowell Musket. UNH’s first football season was back in 1893, and they have compiled a 542-447-55 (.545) record since then. UNH plays its home games at lowly Cowell stadium, which seats about 8,000. However, since the start of the 2007 season, UNH is 32-4 at home.

Although there are accommodations on campus in Durham, the best features of the seacoast are in the Portsmouth area. Portsmouth is home to the historic Portsmouth Brewery, along with Fatbelly’s and Coat of Arms Pub. Newicks in Dover is also a famous lobster house that is family owned and operated for generations. There are also many places to eat and drink right along the Portsmouth Harbor. On campus, UNH is known for Libby’s, Scorpions, and the Knot Irish Pub.

School: University of Maine Black Bears

Head Coach: Jack Cosgrove
Experience at School: 21 years
Record: 121-120
Coach Cosgrove was recently named CAA Coach of the Year and is a finalist for the FCS Eddie Robinson Award. Coach “Cos” has dedicated virtually his entire football life to the University of Maine. Cos was a two-time All-Yankee Conference quarterback for the Black Bears, an assistant coach, and has now been the head coach for 21 seasons. He is the all-time winningest coach in Maine history.

Pre-Season Prediction (Conference placement, etc.): Maine was picked to finish 8th in the CAA preseason.

Aug. 31
at Norfolk St.
W, 23-6

Sep. 7
at Massachusetts
W, 24-14

Sep. 14
Bryant
W, 35-22

Sep. 21
at Northwestern
L, 35-21

Sep. 28
at Richmond *
W, 28-21

Oct. 5
Delaware *
W, 62-28

Oct. 19
William & Mary *
W, 34-20

Oct. 26
at Villanova *
W, 37-35

Nov. 2
Stony Brook *
W, 19-14

Nov. 9
at Albany (N.Y.) *
W, 33-27

Nov. 16
Rhode Island *
W, 41-0

Nov. 23
at New Hampshire *
L, 24-3

The club has been led by senior quarterback Marcus Wasilewski who was recently honored with the CAA Chuck Boone Leadership Award as well as being named the CAA First team quarterback. Wasilewski is a true dual-threat as he can beat you with his arm and his legs (255-for-370 for 3,009 yards with 23 touchdowns passing / 141 rushes for 620 yards and three scores on the ground). Maine runs a methodical offense that features a dynamic passing game, a traditional two-back running game, and set quarterback read option running plays. Wasilewski is 3rd all-time in passing yards at Maine and is coincidentally four TDs away from breaking Mickey Fein’s single-season TD mark of 27 set in 1998. Fein is the current Lafayette offensive coordinator.

Wasilewski’s favorite targets include CAA First team tight end Justin Perillo (37 catches for 461 yards and three touchdowns), Ex QB-turned WR and conference Second teamer John Ebeling (634 yards and 5 scores), and wide receivers Damarr Aultman and Derek Johnson. One of the dangerous aspects of the Black Bear offense is Wasilewski’s ability to target many receivers out of a variety of sets.

On the ground, the Black Bears feature a pair of tailbacks with contrasting styles. Rickey Stevens is a hard-charging straight-forward runner that will get you the tough yardage but can also break for a long gain once he gets to the second level. Nigel Jones is a quick slashing back that provides Maine with a good change of pace. Fans should expect Stevens and Jones to split carries in any given ballgame. Setting up the running game by anchoring the offensive line for Maine are conference First teamer Jeff Gakos, and Second teamer Joe Hook. A great addition to the Maine offense in 2013 has been kicker Sean Decloux. Decloux, the CAA First team kicker, broke Maine’s all-time record with 14 field goals.

The Maine “Black Hole” Defense has had many bright spots in 2013. Michael Cole became the all-time sack leader in school history with 29 sacks and was named to the CAA Second team. Christophe Mulumba was named Defensive Rookie of the Year and seems to be in on every team tackle (105 tackles). CAA First team cornerback Kendall James anchors the secondary (34 tackles, 2 interceptions).

School Playoff Record: 3-6

The University of Maine Black Bears have completed arguably the best season in school history racking up 10 regular season wins and winning the outright CAA Championship. It was the team’s first outright conference championship since they won the Yankee Conference back in 1965. Maine shared Atlantic 10 titles in 2001 and 2002.

Maine will host its first ever home playoff game on December 7th at 2 PM when they play the winner of the University of New Hampshire and Lafayette College game. UNH is Maine’s most bitter rival and most oft played opponent. Maine is 43-50-8 all-time versus the Wildcats and 8-2 versus the Leopards.

Maine has never made it out of the FCS quarterfinals having lost in recent years versus Georgia Southern (twice) and Northern Iowa. This Black Bears team hopes to break through that round and reach new heights. They have the senior leadership and the experience to do it. It will be fun to watch.

Orono, Maine is a small college town on the banks of the Stillwater River. There is one small hotel in town called the University Inn, however many travelers choose to stay in the neighboring city of Bangor where you will find the normal chain hotels, mall, and chain restaurants. Favorites within Orono include the legendary Pat’s Pizza and the Bear Brew Pub (both within walking distance of the stadium and campus).

School: Lafayette College

Head Coach Frank Tavani Experience at School: 14 years Record: at LC 76-81, Patriot 39-39

Pre-Season Prediction (Conference placement, etc.): Fourth in Patriot

Sacred Heart. Lost 26-24

William & Mary, Lost 34-6

At Penn, Lost 27-21

Bucknell, Won 31-7

At Princeton, Lost 42-26

At Harvard, Lost 35-16

At Holy Cross, Won 41-23

At Georgetown, Won 45-27

Colgate, Lost 28-24

Fordham, Won 27-14

At Lehigh, Won 50-28

Top Offensive Player (w/stats):

Drew Reed (#7), frosh quarterback who was tabbed to start at halftime in the Harvard game and brought the Pards back admirably. He is 112 for 152 and 1,681 yards with 17 TDs and just 5 INTs. His favorite receiver is senior Mark Ross (#10) who has 68 catches for 1,047 yards and 8 TDs.

Mike Boles has 30 solo tackles and 50 assists. Matt Smalley has 4 INTs and is also a returner with KO returns of 98 yards (opening KO of Sacred Heart game) and 99 yards (Holy Cross).

School Playoff Record: 0-3, losses (all away) to Delaware 28-14 (2004); App State 34-23 (2005); UMass 35-14 (2006)

Both Lafayette and New Hampshire desperately needed wins in the final week of the regular season to earn their spots on the national stage, and both needed to do so against higher-ranked competition. Lafayette defeated Lehigh on the road (where Lehigh had not lost a game all season) to win the Patriot League title and the automatic bid, while New Hampshire downed rival (and previously No. 4-ranked) Maine at Cowell Stadium to stay perfect at home and earn a 6-2 record in CAA Football.

Lafayette, under field direction of freshman quarterback Drew Reed, has won four if its last five games, including against previously unbeaten Fordham in Week 12 and Lehigh this past Saturday.

Reed's efficiency has been apparent this season. This past Saturday, the freshman completed 20-of-27 pass attempts for 378 yards and three touchdowns with no turnovers. Turnovers are characteristically the problem of a young, inexperienced player on the college level, but Reed, aside from the Fordham contest, has overcome that stereotype.

Lafayette had a less than stellar start as it found itself mired in a 1-5 predicament but banded together and went 4-1 the rest of the way beating #5 and previously unbeaten Fordham and the following week upset # 15 Lehigh in Bethlehem PA in the 149th game of the MOST PLAYED (not oldest) college football rivalry. Since the two schools are only 12 miles apart, in the late 1800s they played 2 or 3 times a year to get that head start. Next year they will play number 150 in Yankee Stadium. Lafayette is renown for inventing the leather helmet (desired by a player to prevent califlower ears from playing) and the huddle (to prevent Penn from stealing hand signals). Also, in 1948 Lafayette received an invitation to play in the 1949 Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas against UTEP (then Texas College of Mines). However, Texas law at the time forbid African-American players competing on the same field as Caucasians and Lafayette had only one, who also happened to be a former Tuskogee Airman, tailback David Showell. Lafayette pleaded for an exception but it was not granted, so the school declined the bid, the only time they had received an invite to any bowl game. It is referred to as "The Greatest Game They Never Played". Lafayette also won National Championships in 1896, 1921 and 1926. The team and fans are also referred to as "Pards", short for Leopards.

superman7515
November 29th, 2013, 08:51 PM
I like the idea PanthersBlue, sent you kudos, but something about the presentation is lacking. If you want any help putting these together, let me know.

BisonFan02
November 29th, 2013, 09:19 PM
I like the idea PanthersBlue, sent you kudos, but something about the presentation is lacking. If you want any help putting these together, let me know.

I have the original template he sent via email (for NDSU), and I will see if I can make a template for some sort of "Frommer's" type of guide for FCS locations.

PanthersBlue
November 30th, 2013, 06:59 AM
I have the original template he sent via email (for NDSU), and I will see if I can make a template for some sort of "Frommer's" type of guide for FCS locations.

That would be great