View Full Version : Eastern Illinois National Champion!

Wallace
November 29th, 2013, 01:06 PM
I don't know but they and North Dakota State are ranked closely at #1 and #2 so do you think EIU can win it?

BTW I have no allegiance in this discussion...

Grizalltheway
November 29th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Could they? Of course. Will they? I doubt it.

SIUSalukiFan
November 29th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Eastern Illinois is a damn fine team.

maine612
November 29th, 2013, 01:19 PM
I'd say they have a puncher's chance. QB would have to be lights out but he has proven he can do it!

Wallace
November 29th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Is EIU the kind of team that can beat the fave NDSU? All-everything QB and WR combo plus a defense and RB that can keep it respectable?

maine612
November 29th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Is EIU the kind of team that can beat the fave NDSU? All-everything QB and WR combo plus a defense and RB that can keep it respectable?

Nobody would beat NDSU in a series....but many teams, including Maine, can play their best game and beat the Bison in this tournament.

Texas
November 29th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Nobody would beat NDSU in a series....but many teams, including Maine, can play their best game and beat the Bison in this tournament.

Who said anything about a series? Bison are good but not unbeatable and that has been proven every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Lehigh'98
November 29th, 2013, 01:34 PM
No team is infallible, Bison included. Not ready to crown them just yet.

TTUEagles
November 29th, 2013, 01:34 PM
If they don't, it will likely be special teams that is EIU's undoing. That, and a game where the "O" turns it over a bunch... Defense is better than people think, but the "O" is elite and they may have win some shootouts in the later rounds, if they get to the round of 8 or better.

Wallace
November 29th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Well SHSU has not had good luck yet, maybe this year? But EIU is the question. A great passing team and respectable running and defense. Is this the ticket?

dewey
November 29th, 2013, 01:36 PM
NDSU and EIU have had two common opponents in Southern Illinois and Illinois State. I would be interested to hear what SIU and ISU fans have to say about comparing the teams.

Does EIU have a chance to beat NDSU of course they do. Would they...I personally doubt it.

Dewey

knucklehead
November 29th, 2013, 01:37 PM
I picked EIU to win it all, so yes, I think they can.

Mattymc727
November 29th, 2013, 01:39 PM
No. The Bison will cakewalk to title number 3. I have zero doubts about that. Easy field this year for the Bison. NDSU over Towson for the title.

The dream of dethroning the champs is fun though. We can all enjoy that for now.

robsnotes4u
November 29th, 2013, 01:45 PM
I don't know but they and North Dakota State are ranked closely at #1 and #2 so do you think EIU can win it?

I dont have them playing each other. I have SELA defeating the Bison is the semis and EIU winning the finals

BisonTru
November 29th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Who said anything about a series? Bison are good but not unbeatable and that has been proven every year.

Not this year

Texas
November 29th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Not this year

Last time I checked the year isn't over.

Bisonoline
November 29th, 2013, 01:55 PM
No team is infallible, Bison included. Not ready to crown them just yet.

I m not crowning them either. We havent got through the playoffs yet.

SIUSalukiFan
November 29th, 2013, 02:13 PM
NDSU and EIU have had two common opponents in Southern Illinois and Illinois State. I would be interested to hear what SIU and ISU fans have to say about comparing the teams.

Does EIU have a chance to beat NDSU of course they do. Would they...I personally doubt it.

Dewey

I can speak to this ... North Dakota State and Eastern Illinois are both fantastic teams.

NDSU is so good at controlling the clock but EIU can put up points in a hurry.

I don't think there's any doubt NDSU would be the favorite in a match-up of these two but Eastern Illinois did win by 20 at San Diego State and led Northern Illinois, 20-0, before losing 43-39.

We've known for three years NDSU is big time. This year has proven EIU is, too.

Sir William
November 29th, 2013, 02:23 PM
To be the man, you gotta beat the man! Woooooooooo!

Go...gate
November 29th, 2013, 02:33 PM
In one game, anything can happen. Anybody remember Super Bowl III?

Grizalltheway
November 29th, 2013, 02:57 PM

Can't say that I do.

UIWWildthing
November 29th, 2013, 03:21 PM
That game was rigged though :)

youwouldno
November 29th, 2013, 03:28 PM
I'm impressed with what I've seen of EIU. But obviously you can't match them up with NDSU just yet. Both could be upset before that point. SELA in particular could be dangerous for the Bison thanks to Bennett's dual-threat ability. EIU has a tough potential quarterfinal opponent in Towson, one of the more balanced teams in the tournament.

Go...gate
November 29th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Can't say that I do.

You young whippersnappers..... :D

Theee Catrabbit
November 29th, 2013, 03:48 PM
SDSU took EIU to the woodshed last year. I don't see that the EIU defense is much better, their offense is the same. Correct? SDSU manhandled it last year....they simply aren't going to be that much better. NDSU would roll up SELA or EIU. Sorry....not even close.....

Go...gate
November 29th, 2013, 03:50 PM
That game was rigged though :)

As an old Baltimore Colt fan (originally from Easton, MD), I'll never forget the late Bubba Smith claiming in the 1980's that the game was fixed. Talk about totally teeing off two organizations!! Still amazing how Don Shula, Weeb Ewbank (then the Jet coach), Unitas, Morrall, Curtis, Volk, Matte, Fred Miller and many other Colts (not to mention Namath, Snell, Boozer, Grantham Philbin and many of the Jets) came out and publicly condemned Bubba for claiming that. Most of the Colts never spoke to Smith again. He is now deceased.

TennBison
November 29th, 2013, 06:23 PM

Just like SHSU, funny how they seem to lose that last game of the year. Lets see, who did they lose to in Frisco the last two years............well what do you know, it was NDSU last year and in the year before that it was................ well what do you know, it was NDSU then as well.

Texas
November 29th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Just like SHSU, funny how they seem to lose that last game of the year. Lets see, who did they lose to in Frisco the last two years............well what do you know, it was NDSU last year and in the year before that it was................ well what do you know, it was NDSU then as well.

Ok? Don't get mad because NDSU aren't gods.

Houndawg
November 29th, 2013, 06:27 PM

Dewey

They couldn't be more different on offense, obviously. SIU had the ball for 35 minutes in regulation and gave up the fewest points in regulation of any of EIU's opponents, 30. NDSU's offense will bitch slap EIUs defense, that's a given; SIU had 500 yards offense with a grab bag offensive line. SIU played base almost exclusively dropping eight, occasionally bringing an LB to keep them honest. EIU's QB gets rid of the ball very quickly - big key will be if the Bison can get pressure from their front four. If NDSU can do that then they can play in a 4-2 nickel as their base. EIU had the ball for only 25 minutes and ran 101 plays against SIU, who ran 96 plays in 35 minutes, so d line rotation will be real important. Open-field tackling will be another bigee and another reason I think the Bison win even though EIU has the right style to beat them, especially if a couple of bounces or tips go their way early. Special teams will be worth points for the Bison, who should win by two scores.

Texas
November 29th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Stupid tapatalk

TennBison
November 29th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Ok? Don't get mad because NDSU aren't immortal.

I'm not mad, I just enjoy giving you and a select few other SHSU fans a hard time.

Texas
November 29th, 2013, 06:34 PM
I'm not mad, I just enjoy giving you and a select few other SHSU fans a hard time.

Keep working at that then. Did not lose one minute of sleep and never will because of it.

TennBison
November 29th, 2013, 06:34 PM
They couldn't be more different on offense, obviously. SIU had the ball for 35 minutes in regulation and gave up the fewest points in regulation of any of EIU's opponents, 30. NDSU's offense will bitch slap EIUs defense, that's a given; SIU had 500 yards offense with a grab bag offensive line. SIU played base almost exclusively dropping eight, occasionally bringing an LB to keep them honest. EIU's QB gets rid of the ball very quickly - big key will be if the Bison can get pressure from their front four. If NDSU can do that then they can play in a 4-2 nickel as their base. EIU had the ball for only 25 minutes and ran 101 plays against SIU, who ran 96 plays in 35 minutes, so d line rotation will be real important. Open-field tackling will be another bigee and another reason I think the Bison win even though EIU has the right style to beat them, especially if a couple of bounces or tips go their way early. Special teams will be worth points for the Bison, who should win by two scores.
Has lakes been slipping you money under the table, lol.

IBleedYellow
November 29th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Oregon proved to me this year what those high powered offenses need to be worried about. A defense.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Bisonator
November 29th, 2013, 06:48 PM
SDSU took EIU to the woodshed last year. I don't see that the EIU defense is much better, their offense is the same. Correct? SDSU manhandled it last year....they simply aren't going to be that much better. NDSU would roll up SELA or EIU. Sorry....not even close.....

That's what I can't figure out. How could EIU look so horrible in last years playoff game and look unstoppable this year? I'm not sure they are for real or not yet. The OVC has a poor playoff history. Win a couple games and get back to me! Either way I don't see them winning it all this year.

taper
November 29th, 2013, 07:23 PM
I don't think there's any doubt NDSU would be the favorite in a match-up of these two but Eastern Illinois did win by 20 at San Diego State and led Northern Illinois, 20-0, before losing 43-39.

This shows why NDSU is the favorite. Depth and conditioning really take over in the 4th quarter, which is when we win games. Both the O and D lines beat you up all day long. We just need to keep the score close at the half and odds are we'll get through.

ohiovalley
November 29th, 2013, 07:31 PM
That's what I can't figure out. How could EIU look so horrible in last years playoff game and look unstoppable this year? I'm not sure they are for real or not yet. The OVC has a poor playoff history. Win a couple games and get back to me! Either way I don't see them winning it all this year.

This is only the 2nd season that Dino Babers has been there. Second full season of the Baylor system is why there has been so much improvement. This system is nothing like what they ran before he got there. Their Defense has improved this season but it's not elite. Their biggest weakness is the kicking game. It could kill them in a close game.

DJKyR0
November 29th, 2013, 08:03 PM
We handled Chris Lum, we handled the feared triple option basically three times, we can handle Garoppolo.

Also, any poll that has a one-loss OVC team in over undefeated NDSU is a complete joke. EIU is a good team, but come on now.

youwouldno
November 29th, 2013, 08:15 PM
We handled Chris Lum, we handled the feared triple option basically three times, we can handle Garoppolo.

Also, any poll that has a one-loss OVC team in over undefeated NDSU is a complete joke. EIU is a good team, but come on now.

I noted somewhere else, Massey - a very sound rating system - has EIU as the best offense in FCS history by far. I'm not saying that's gospel, but it's no joke either.

NDSU is a favorite against EIU because the Bison have a historically good defense and more overall balance. It's not because EIU is a paper tiger.

DJKyR0
November 29th, 2013, 08:30 PM
I noted somewhere else, Massey - a very sound rating system - has EIU as the best offense in FCS history by far. I'm not saying that's gospel, but it's no joke either.

NDSU is a favorite against EIU because the Bison have a historically good defense and more overall balance. It's not because EIU is a paper tiger.

No doubt EIU has an elite offense, their stats have been monstrous all year and they've earned the accolades they've received. Couple SU's defense with a lethally efficient offense and some dynamic special teams play and I think they're correctly ranked #1 where they are.

youwouldno
November 29th, 2013, 08:52 PM
No doubt EIU has an elite offense, their stats have been monstrous all year and they've earned the accolades they've received. Couple SU's defense with a lethally efficient offense and some dynamic special teams play and I think they're correctly ranked #1 where they are.

Sure, and everyone except one or two whacked-out Excel formulas agree. But a lot of people are dismissing EIU because of last year, which is a mistake.

DJKyR0
November 29th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Sure, and everyone except one or two whacked-out Excel formulas agree. But a lot of people are dismissing EIU because of last year, which is a mistake.

Agreed.

SIUSalukiFan
November 29th, 2013, 09:25 PM

Because that was last year? And, you are not sure they are for real or not? Good God. Is there any other team in the FCS playoff field that has a FBS win over a projected bowl team win AND almost has a second over a team that's going to a BCS bowl?.

Forget the OVC playoff history. Eastern Illinois has proven its worth. If EIU and NDSU play for the title I think the Bison will win but I would argue this isn't a normal OVC team.

If that was the case somebody in the conference - including the OVC's two other playoff representatives - would have lost by less than 18 points to EIU.

Drblankstare
November 29th, 2013, 09:37 PM
The way to beat the Bison D is through the air and getting the ball out quick and be very accurate. I wouldn't even bother running the ball except to try to keep the front 4 honest every now and then.

The question is silly though, of course the Bison can be beaten. Any team can. It will just be damn hard.

skinny_uncle
November 29th, 2013, 09:55 PM

The one loss was to an undefeated Northern Illinois team. The only team to come closer to NIU this year was Iowa ( who lost by 3). EIU has an explosive offense who can put up points in a hurry. NDSU can beat them by controlling TOP and keeping them off the field. It should be an interesting matchup if it happens.

Grizzlies82
November 29th, 2013, 10:18 PM
The way to beat the Bison D is through the air and getting the ball out quick and be very accurate. I wouldn't even bother running the ball except to try to keep the front 4 honest every now and then.

The question is silly though, of course the Bison can be beaten. Any team can. It will just be damn hard.

I agree with the Doctor. Would think Eastern Washington & Eastern Illinois have the best chance of knocking off the Bison... through the air, quick strike, high scoring offenses.
No they won't score 50 on NDSU, but these teams have a chance since they have the ability to score 'another one' at any given point. Still don't know if they will, but they can.

Redbirdz
November 29th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Yes, Eastern Illinois definitely can win. This is a great football team. Pick EIU.

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Wait, having a 1978 flashback when the Hens missed a last second FG and E Illinois won the Div 2 National Championship

I picked them to reach the finals in one of the playoff pools this year

Patriarch
December 2nd, 2013, 01:37 AM
EIU let NIU, #14 in BCS, off the hook after taking a 21-0 1st Qtr lead. Other then the kicking game, which is non-existent, the only chink in EIU's armor is they don't know how to play with a lead. They simply aren't capable of taking their foot off the gas as long as the starters are in and who can say they have that problem in the Nation? We are talking about a team with a bonafide NFL caliber QB! A RB with 1,300 yrds and another with 800 plus a QB with 4,440 and 37 TDs is there any debate as to what they can do offensively. Their defense doesn't have to be elite as long as the offence is putting up 50 points per game. 600 yards of total offense against the #14 BCS team, but people are saying how elite NDSU defense is...EIU wins going away!

ming01
December 2nd, 2013, 01:51 AM

this eiu team is much better than that lehigh team. eiu doesnt run the true triple option. theyre an up tempo, spread team. that being said, i think our O would run all over their D, but their passing attack could give us fits

thebootfitter
December 2nd, 2013, 03:30 AM
Their defense doesn't have to be elite as long as the offence is putting up 50 points per game. 600 yards of total offense against the #14 BCS team, but people are saying how elite NDSU defense is...EIU wins going away!
If you think the NIU defense is better than the NDSU defense just because NIU is ranked #14 in the AP Top 25... you might want to reconsider your assumptions. The data to make cross-conference and cross-divisional comparisons is admittedly limited, but if we are to put any stock in Massey's formulas, NIU has the 68th best defense in all of Div I football. The Bison D ranks #13.

You could ask K-State their opinion of the Bison defense. The Bison held the Wildcats scoreless when it counted most in the latter part of the third quarter and through the fourth quarter. The Bison held K-State -- a 7-win Big 12 bowl team -- to their lowest score of the season. Surely you'll concede that the Big 12 is better competition than the MAC, yes?

This is one of the playoff match ups I am most interested in if it happens. If both teams continue to perform as expected, it could happen.

Gil Dobie
December 2nd, 2013, 08:18 AM
Only thing NDSU is concerned about is Furman and the legendary SOUTHERN SPEED!

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 2nd, 2013, 08:31 AM

Hasnt been proven this year................................

tomq04
December 2nd, 2013, 12:44 PM
seems to me that EWU/EIU/SELA have the best chance of knocking off the Bison. Hope to see EWU/EIU play for the chance. That being said, i really don't want EWU to have to play EIU @ home...EWU doesn't do well east of the rockies.

Hammerhead
December 2nd, 2013, 12:55 PM
Yes the Bison can lose a game, but it hasn't been proven this year. :P

Texas
December 2nd, 2013, 12:56 PM
Yes the Bison can lose a game, but it hasn't been proven this year. :P

Year is over? News to me.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2013, 01:03 PM
this eiu team is much better than that lehigh team. eiu doesnt run the true triple option. theyre an up tempo, spread team. that being said, i think our O would run all over their D, but their passing attack could give us fits

That Lehigh team was really good with Spadola in the fold. Lum to Spadola was like UNH's Santos to Ball. Both teams were top 5-7 but lacked that little extra to put them over the top. Lehigh moved the the ball on NDSU but couldn't do anything when the field shrunk. LU's kicker sucked too. I think EIU has the little extra that '11 Lehigh and those UNH teams didn't have.

EIU '13, SBU '12, Lehigh '11, Lafayette '05, Colgate '03, '99 Florida A&M, '98 Lehigh, plus others were/are all very good teams from "lesser" leagues.

RabidRabbit
December 2nd, 2013, 01:13 PM
Watched that EIU @ NIU game. EIU was barely held out of the EZ to pull the last second upset. Much like K-State was for NDSU. NIU if they don't pizz it down leg in the MAC championship game will be in a BCS bowl for the 2nd time in two years.

EIU, if they have a d, which they appeared to have vs NIU, will be exactly the kind team that could possibly hang with NDSU.

Patriarch
December 2nd, 2013, 02:33 PM
If you think the NIU defense is better than the NDSU defense just because NIU is ranked #14 in the AP Top 25... you might want to reconsider your assumptions. The data to make cross-conference and cross-divisional comparisons is admittedly limited, but if we are to put any stock in Massey's formulas, NIU has the 68th best defense in all of Div I football. The Bison D ranks #13.

You could ask K-State their opinion of the Bison defense. The Bison held the Wildcats scoreless when it counted most in the latter part of the third quarter and through the fourth quarter. The Bison held K-State -- a 7-win Big 12 bowl team -- to their lowest score of the season. Surely you'll concede that the Big 12 is better competition than the MAC, yes?

This is one of the playoff match ups I am most interested in if it happens. If both teams continue to perform as expected, it could happen.

You are correct in the fact that the MAC and Big 12 are vastly different competitively, but K-State was not very competitive this year. You can't compare K-State to a BCS Bowl bound team, unfortunately. It was a very good quality win for the Bison but EIU actually lost the game to NIU, NIU didn't win it. It is going to be a classic Championship game between the Bison and Panthers and that NO ONE can debate!

Patriarch
December 2nd, 2013, 02:34 PM
EIU against NDSU in the Championship is a forgone conclusion, at least the FCS get's it right!

PanthersBlue
December 2nd, 2013, 02:37 PM
You are correct in the fact that the MAC and Big 12 are vastly different competitively, but K-State was not very competitive this year. You can't compare K-State to a BCS Bowl bound team, unfortunately. It was a very good quality win for the Bison but EIU actually lost the game to NIU, NIU didn't win it. It is going to be a classic Championship game between the Bison and Panthers and that NO ONE can debate!

I'm focused on the Tigers from Tenn. St. Then whoever is after them, lets not get ahead of ourselves, lets sit back and watch everything unfold. I know this, this is going to be a much better weekend of games then last weekend.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 2nd, 2013, 02:38 PM

There were 4 top 25 ranked teams on KSU's schedule. 0 on NIU's. KSU would have had a much better chance with NIU's schedule than NIU would have with theirs

Bisonator
December 2nd, 2013, 02:38 PM
Let's not put the cart before the horse! xrolleyesx

Scooter
December 2nd, 2013, 03:37 PM
All I'm worried about is Furman. If Furman comes to play and the Bison show some rust from sitting for a week... The problem for Furman is that Craig Bohl has had two weeks to prepare the Bison for this game. There is a reason why he is the MVC coach of the year.

I think that EIU has a very good chance of getting to the national championship game. Wouldn't it be fun if the had to play SDSU to get there? Eastern Washington may be in for a surprise on Saturday. (Imagine the MVC posters exploding on this board if SDSU goes into E Washington and wins...)

BisonFan02
December 2nd, 2013, 03:38 PM
This thread was started by Wallace, it must be true.

gregatim
December 2nd, 2013, 04:04 PM
EIU let NIU, #14 in BCS, off the hook after taking a 21-0 1st Qtr lead. Other then the kicking game, which is non-existent, the only chink in EIU's armor is they don't know how to play with a lead. They simply aren't capable of taking their foot off the gas as long as the starters are in and who can say they have that problem in the Nation? We are talking about a team with a bonafide NFL caliber QB! A RB with 1,300 yrds and another with 800 plus a QB with 4,440 and 37 TDs is there any debate as to what they can do offensively. Their defense doesn't have to be elite as long as the offence is putting up 50 points per game. 600 yards of total offense against the #14 BCS team, but people are saying how elite NDSU defense is...EIU wins going away!

Sounds similar to what we heard leading up to our games with SHSU, yes those same SHSU squads that put up 19 points on NDSU.............in 2 games....just sayin....with that said....

seems to me that EWU/EIU/SELA have the best chance of knocking off the Bison. Hope to see EWU/EIU play for the chance. That being said, i really don't want EWU to have to play EIU @ home...EWU doesn't do well east of the rockies.

I'd say the team that has the best chance to knock NDSU off is Furman, because they are the only ones with a guaranteed crack at them. First things first boys and girls, first things first. If NDSU doesn't bring it this weekend, EWU/EIU/SELA/Montana or anyone else who advances past this weekend won't have to worry about knocking off NDSU. Who you beat by how much this year and this poll or that poll doesn't mean a thing once the playoffs start if you don't come ready to play. We don't have to look much past the first round games and the outcome of those games. See, that's the beauty of the FCS, we can all debate this until we are blue in the face (all of us in North Dakota will be that way anyway Thursday thanks to mohter nature), but it will all be decided soon enough. Enjoy the playoffs, cheer hard for your team, and most importantly respect you oppenents, it will reduce the amount of crow you have to eat later!!!!!

Sycamore62
December 2nd, 2013, 04:26 PM
I feel like NIU is the most overrated team that doesnt have Notre in their name that has ever played football. Am I alone on this. I think beating K-State is more impressive than a close loss to NIU.

I have only seen NDSU in person 1 time this year and didnt really pay much attention to anything but how their scoring was during games but, does it seem like they do start slow in some of their tougher games? This is the opposite of how most of EIU's games go, including the NIU game where the were up 21-0 in 7 min (td,onside, td, defensive 3 and out, td). If im right on this, that could be how EIU could pull off what I would call an upset.

And I think its safe for us to all look past any opponent that anyone plays. If it affects how a team plays, they were probably going to loose anyway.

LeeshaJo
December 2nd, 2013, 04:33 PM
Just curious... are EIU fans hoping to see SDSU for a rematch from last year? Would have to think that left a bad taste in their mouths.

Grizzlies82
December 2nd, 2013, 04:38 PM
Eastern Washington may be in for a surprise on Saturday. (Imagine MVC posters exploding on this board if SDSU goes into E Washington and wins...)

Sadly I can imagine it. I imagine if that were to happen, I may not only need to give up my AGS membership, I may need to give up my internet entirely.

centennial
December 2nd, 2013, 04:48 PM
Just curious... are EIU fans hoping to see SDSU for a rematch from last year? Would have to think that left a bad taste in their mouths.
EIU vs SDSU would be epic. I am not sure SDSU can pull that one off but it would be an interesting match.
On the topic of NIU. They are not that high on computer polls. I would pick a few teams in the FCS which would easily take them on. Kansas state not so much..

LeeshaJo
December 2nd, 2013, 04:50 PM
Sadly I can imagine it. I imagine if that were to happen, I may not only need to give up my AGS membership, I may need to give up my internet entirely.

Hey we are not that bad are we? xeyebrowx maybe I shouldn't ask that....

thebootfitter
December 2nd, 2013, 04:59 PM
K-State wasn't competitive this year? They maybe didn't go 10-2, but they were pretty competitive. They played several top 25 teams. (4?) They held Baylor to one of their lowest outputs of the year. I'm confident that K-State would be very competitive against NIU. K-State would probably win, in my opinion, but no doubt it would be a good game. Yes, you can compare them.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 2nd, 2013, 05:02 PM
K-State wasn't competitive this year? They maybe didn't go 10-2, but they were pretty competitive. They played several top 25 teams. (4?) They held Baylor to one of their lowest outputs of the year. I'm confident that K-State would be very competitive against NIU. K-State would probably win, in my opinion, but no doubt it would be a good game. Yes, you can compare them.

No loss by more than 10 pts. 3 of the 5 losses were to top 25 teams. I'm not sure what the numbers were but SOS has to heavily favor KSU.

thebootfitter
December 2nd, 2013, 05:25 PM
I feel like NIU is the most overrated team that doesnt have Notre in their name that has ever played football. Am I alone on this. I think beating K-State is more impressive than a close loss to NIU.
I didn't see this before my post, but I agree. NIU is a very good team. They play in a very weak conference. Not taking anything away from their record, because it isn't easy to go undefeated in any season against both conference and non-conference competition. But they are getting a lot of love for being undefeated in a weak conference. They deserve it. Still, if they played in a "power" conference, they would not be undefeated. In the Big 12, I would guess they'd have anywhere between 2 & 4 losses. Any such discussion is mostly speculation, of course. I haven't seen them play live to make direct comparisons. But if I were betting straight up, I'd put my money on K-State over NIU.

Edited: If we are to put any stock in computer ratings (and I understand if you don't), Sagarin's Predictor score shows K-State beating NIU on a neutral field by 7 (i.e. a very good game that could go either way in reality). Massey's system shows K-State winning 60% of the match ups by a median score of 34-31. Again... very close, but with a slight edge to K-State. My gut says K-State would win by less than 10 points in a pretty closely fought battle.

Patriarch
December 2nd, 2013, 06:54 PM
Have we forgotten that NIUs QB is a finalist for the Heisman? This team, though playing in the MAC, is led by a Heisman candidate..yes, I repeated it. They have I of the top 5 players in the COUNTRY!

NoDak 4 Ever
December 2nd, 2013, 07:08 PM
Have we forgotten that NIUs QB is a finalist for the Heisman? This team, though playing in the MAC, is led by a Heisman candidate..yes, I repeated it. They have I of the top 5 players in the COUNTRY!

That doesn't make the competition any better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Patriarch
December 2nd, 2013, 07:12 PM
Have we forgotten that NIUs QB is a finalist for the Heisman? This team, though playing in the MAC, is led by a Heisman candidate..yes, I repeated it. They have 1 of the top 5 players in the COUNTRY! Jordan Lynch is a Heisman Finalist

Seriously, is facing K-State the equivalent of facing a Heisman Finalist? NDSU has not faced anyone on Jordan Lynch's level, at least not until January when they face the Walter Payton Award Winner in Jimmy Garoppolo . Oh, by the way, Eric Lora is also a finalist for the Payton Award. Gentlemen, this game isn't going to be nothing like NDSU faced in the K-State team.

centennial
December 2nd, 2013, 07:24 PM
Seriously, is facing K-State the equivalent of facing a Heisman Finalist? NDSU has not faced anyone on Jordan Lynch's level, at least not until January when they face the Walter Payton Award Winner in Jimmy Garoppolo . Oh, by the way, Eric Lora is also a finalist for the Payton Award. Gentlemen, this game isn't going to be nothing like NDSU faced in the K-State team.
Prove it on the field. NIU is still vastly over rated, most teams in the top 25 would take it to them. They haven't played 1 ranked opponent. K-State would beat them 8/10 times. You aren't the 1st one running your mouth about how we haven't seen anything like your team. Either way, a player does not a team make.

DJKyR0
December 2nd, 2013, 07:31 PM

Interesting. We heard a lot of this rhetoric when facing Lehigh two years ago and that game ended in a shutout . Should be interesting to see what happens shoul NDSU and EIU meet in Frisco. We'll be there, you just carry your weight.

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2013, 07:53 PM
Interesting. We heard a lot of this rhetoric when facing Lehigh two years ago and that game ended in a shutout . Should be interesting to see what happens shoul NDSU and EIU meet in Frisco. We'll be there, you just carry your weight.
Does Lora have a twitter account? They may want to muzzle it until the playoffs are over. ;)

thebootfitter
December 2nd, 2013, 08:05 PM
I agree. EIU and NIU are both very different teams from the likes of K-State. I think all of those match ups would be interesting. In my opinion, they are all fairly even teams, but I'd still give the edge to K-State. Don't get me wrong, I don't think K-State is the bomb. They're obviously beatable. But they are a solid team, right along with EIU, NIU, and NDSU.

Patriarch
December 2nd, 2013, 08:06 PM

We will be there! Must admit that the FCS does do it right in determining whose the best. Let's face it, NDSU and EIU are on a collision course and that's what it's all about. Irony, is that I give NDSU its respect and say that EIU will play NDSU for the Title but why don't football fans admit that EIU is good? NDSU put up some ridiculous numbers but EIU did as well, and more so. EIU in all but 2 games the starters weren't even in mid-way thru the 3rd so the numbers would be even more ridiculous not withstanding that fact. I have conceded that this is a 2 horse race but NDSU fans won't acknowledge good football. Good luck and see you in Frisco!

As for Lora's twitter, he's a little emotional so I see someone is paying attention behind the scenes to EIU. Enough with the hyperbole, these 2 teams are headed straight towards each other!

thebootfitter
December 2nd, 2013, 08:14 PM
Enough with the hyperbole, these 2 teams are headed straight towards each other!
Any given Saturday, my friend. Either team could still get knocked off. I agree, though, that they are both favorites to reach the chipper.

Bisonator
December 2nd, 2013, 08:23 PM
We will be there! Must admit that the FCS does do it right in determining whose the best. Let's face it, NDSU and EIU are on a collision course and that's what it's all about. Irony, is that I give NDSU its respect and say that EIU will play NDSU for the Title but why don't football fans admit that EIU is good? NDSU put up some ridiculous numbers but EIU did as well, and more so. EIU in all but 2 games the starters weren't even in mid-way thru the 3rd so the numbers would be even more ridiculous not withstanding that fact. I have conceded that this is a 2 horse race but NDSU fans won't acknowledge good football. Good luck and see you in Frisco!

As for Lora's twitter, he's a little emotional so I see someone is paying attention behind the scenes to EIU. Enough with the hyperbole, these 2 teams are headed straight towards each other!

Lakes alter ego?xeyebrowx

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2013, 08:25 PM

I've never followed Lora on twitter, I was just drawing a parallel to how DJ astutely pointed out how similar 2011 Lehigh is to 2013 EIU and the week before Lehigh's matchup with NDSU that year their star receiver Ryan Spadola was controversially suspended for what was deemed to be a racially insensitive tweet.

centennial
December 2nd, 2013, 08:31 PM

Last year your team was blown out by SDSU. This year you scraped by SIU(4th mvfc) and beat Illinois State (6th mvfc). Your team also runs the score on its opponents unlike NDSU. No one is disrespecting your team, respect has to be earned. This is not a 2 horse race by any means, there are multiple good teams. The same thing you want from NDSU fans, you refuse to give other teams. There are multiple teams in the playoffs that would take it to EIU.
There isn't any hyperbole, I would take 4-5 teams ahead of yours in the playoffs. Blow out your opponents all the way to finals and you will start to get the respect you "deserve".

NoDak 4 Ever
December 2nd, 2013, 08:40 PM

OVC =\= MVFC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Patriarch
December 2nd, 2013, 09:36 PM
Last year your team was blown out by SDSU. This year you scraped by SIU(4th mvfc) and beat Illinois State (6th mvfc). Your team also runs the score on its opponents unlike NDSU. No one is disrespecting your team, respect has to be earned. This is not a 2 horse race by any means, there are multiple good teams. The same thing you want from NDSU fans, you refuse to give other teams. There are multiple teams in the playoffs that would take it to EIU.
There isn't any hyperbole, I would take 4-5 teams ahead of yours in the playoffs. Blow out your opponents all the way to finals and you will start to get the respect you "deserve".

Last years results have nothing to do with this years results. As for OVC teams, both teams won convincingly last week so for those saying 3 teams from the OVC wasn't right can keep quite. This year has already shown that what happened last year is no longer relevant. Yes, there are some good teams but there are only 2 ELITE teams and 3-4 special teams that could pull an upset, unfortunately they meet each other before they meet the 2 top seeded teams. Thanks for clarifying the Lora reference...

Tennessee State 31 Butler 0 (Now had Butler scored I would be abase in mentioning this game but they didn't)

Jacksonville State 55 Samford 14

OVC won decisively, so let's dispense with the OVC is not good quotes because last weeks results say differently. If it was so weak why did it have 3 representatives? Given your thinking NE, Dallas(provided they win the division) or Cincy shouldn't be in the playoffs because their conference is (supposedly) weak, unintelligent. If the MVSC was the best conference it would have 3 teams instead of 2 teams. Don't see the SEC, considered the best, having any problems when it comes to Bowl selection day do you?

thebootfitter
December 2nd, 2013, 09:56 PM
If the MVSC was the best conference it would have 3 teams instead of 2 teams.

This assertion assumes that the selection committee truly attempts to select the "best" at large teams and that they have a clue who the "best" teams are. Fact is... It is a highly subjective process with few truly concrete guidelines.

The OVC has certainly proven that they can win playoff games this year. Though I would assert that they have not yet touched the true contenders. Anyway you look at it, I think there are going to be some eyes opened this Saturday.

Bison56
December 2nd, 2013, 10:02 PM
Who's laughing now?

centennial
December 2nd, 2013, 10:05 PM
Last years results have nothing to do with this years results. As for OVC teams, both teams won convincingly last week so for those saying 3 teams from the OVC wasn't right can keep quite. This year has already shown that what happened last year is no longer relevant. Yes, there are some good teams but there are only 2 ELITE teams and 3-4 special teams that could pull an upset, unfortunately they meet each other before they meet the 2 top seeded teams. Thanks for clarifying the Lora reference...

Tennessee State 31 Butler 0 (Now had Butler scored I would be abase in mentioning this game but they didn't)

Jacksonville State 55 Samford 14

OVC won decisively, so let's dispense with the OVC is not good quotes because last weeks results say differently. If it was so weak why did it have 3 representatives? Given your thinking NE, Dallas(provided they win the division) or Cincy shouldn't be in the playoffs because their conference is (supposedly) weak, unintelligent. If the MVSC was the best conference it would have 3 teams instead of 2 teams. Don't see the SEC, considered the best, having any problems when it comes to Bowl selection day do you?
Watch it buddy. We'll see how your teams fare. Butler was ranked 72 in the FCS, Furman was 30(massey). Southern is having the worst year they've had in a decade (2 of their top teams also left). Your diatribe about how MVFC isn't the best in the FCS just shows you have no idea about anything. Your best team needed a few lucky breaks to beat our 4th place team.
The playoff committee is full of politics and NCAA ratings are completely broken. Either way your conference is the 4th best in the computers ahead of the big sky, no one has disputed this. Please keep your narcissism in check.

Patriarch
December 2nd, 2013, 10:20 PM

Watch it buddy. We'll see how your teams fare. Butler was ranked 72 in the FCS, Furman was 30(massey). Southern is having the worst year they've had in a decade (2 of their top teams also left). Your diatribe about how MVFC isn't the best in the FCS just shows you have no idea about anything. Your best team needed a few lucky breaks to beat our 4th place team.
The playoff committee is full of politics and NCAA ratings are completely broken. Either way your conference is the 4th best in the computers ahead of the big sky, no one has disputed this. Please keep your narcissism in check.

That's why I stated had butler scored I would be abase in mentioning that game. You are not the only person I respond to in my comments so my comments are in response to at times 3 different people. As for teams positioning, NCAA SRS EIU is #1, Jacksonville #12 and Tennessee State #15. Yes, SIU played well but it was an interstate rivalry so those games tend to be closer. They played well and the Saluke's will be good next year, better then 4th. I'm no more narcissistic then anyone else when defending my team. NDSU is not unbeatable either. So if you believe that they are I have no problem with that, you're supposed to believe that they are superior to any team, just happens I feel the same about EIU is all.

Patriarch
December 2nd, 2013, 10:26 PM
This assertion assumes that the selection committee truly attempts to select the "best" at large teams and that they have a clue who the "best" teams are. Fact is... It is a highly subjective process with few truly concrete guidelines.

The OVC has certainly proven that they can win playoff games this year. Though I would assert that they have not yet touched the true contenders. Anyway you look at it, I think there are going to be some eyes opened this Saturday.

Bootfitter;

You are right the selection committee is not the Holy grail in its best scenario. Also, correct in your observation they haven't touched the true contenders because Butler just weren't good enough to even make the field. this Saturday, the true playoffs actually does start. Good luck.

Thanks guy's, for helping me get my 10 comments to become a member, which was the purpose of some of my statements.;)

NoDak 4 Ever
December 2nd, 2013, 10:29 PM
Bootfitter;

You are right the selection committee is not the Holy grail in its best scenario. Also, correct in your observation they haven't touched the true contenders because Butler just weren't good enough to even make the field. this Saturday, the true playoffs actually does start. Good luck.

Thanks guy's, for helping me get my 10 comments to become a member, which was the purpose of some of my statements.;)

Great. Now start saying things that are factually correct.

DJKyR0
December 2nd, 2013, 10:33 PM

Who said EIU isn't a good football team? Jesus, football fans have such a god dang small-man complex - other teams can talk up their squads to their hearts' content. NDSU fans refute any claim and suddenly we're the biggest bunch of blowhards west or east of the Mississippi. No **** EIU is a good team. NDSU is, in my opinion, a better team. Rather than get all butthurt about me saying mean things about your team (and I say "your" impersonally, not directing this solely at you, Patriarch) why not let the results decide themselves on the field?

It's one thing I can't stand about this site. If a SoCon team gets hot or someone talks about the CAA being the best conference, the rubes eat it up. One NDSU fan comes out and says "Hey, the stats say we're the best team in the country" and they get eye-rolls and the posts just roll in about how NDSU fans are boisterous and cocky and think they're the hottest thing since sliced bread. The fact that no one has proven us wrong in the playoffs the past two years testifies to it. We've got a good football team and I couldn't care less who has a problem with that. You think otherwise? I think my team will prove you wrong. You have an issue with me saying that? Hey, your team gets to prove it on the field! That's the beauty of playoffs.

To answer your post directly, Patriarch, allow me to speak for Bison fans when I say that yes, EIU seems to be the odds-on favorite to make Frisco out of that bracket. Much as I/we hate to say it, EWU is also a quality team and you'll pardon us for thinking they've got a good shot at taking the Panthers down.[Redacted as SHSU is in our bracket - d'oh] and let's not forget that SDSU is still waiting to make its splash in the playoffs. You've got a tough road ahead and if the Panthers come out of it unscathed then you'll have earned our respect.

Speaking generally again, man, some people can be such pussies in the playoffs. I want to see my team play the best competition because I think we can stifle them. If anyone disagrees, bring it to Fargo/Frisco and let's find out.

Patriarch
December 2nd, 2013, 10:40 PM
Being honest, EIU has a very tough bracket ahead of them! EIU, EWU, McNeese State and Towson they have a tough row to hoe, no doubt. EW and SDSU play each other so they cancel each other out in the talk of which can do it all.

thebootfitter
December 2nd, 2013, 10:43 PM
SHSU is feisty in that side of the bracket as well, and let's not forget that SDSU is still waiting to make its splash in the playoffs.
Sam Houston State is on the Bison, SLU, Montana, Maine side of the bracket. :-P

Sycamore62
December 2nd, 2013, 11:20 PM
In 1995 Steve McNair was a heisman candidate and arguable one of the best players in the draft. He put up video game numbers and got beat in the first round by Youngstown by about 40. Having a heisman candidate on your team doesn't make your wins more impressive.

AmsterBison
December 3rd, 2013, 06:30 AM
I watched the Jacksonville State v Eastern Illinois game and EIU looked really good. Heck, Minneapolis talk radio was raving about Garoppolo yesterday morning as the new Vikings QB.

Bisonator
December 3rd, 2013, 07:50 AM
I watched the Jacksonville State v Eastern Illinois game and EIU looked really good. Heck, Minneapolis talk radio was raving about Garoppolo yesterday morning as the new Vikings QB.

Don't they do that whenever they think about a new QB? xlolx

NIU007
December 3rd, 2013, 09:33 AM
That would be an interesting matchup, EIU vs. NDSU, if both teams get that far. Really wish FBS had a playoff too.

Go Panthers!

robsnotes4u
December 3rd, 2013, 10:48 AM
Nice with a lot of information to look at http://www.compughterratings.com/CFB/matchups/North Dakota St-vs-Eastern Illinois-Neutral-Location

Gil Dobie
December 3rd, 2013, 12:53 PM
Nice with a lot of information to look at http://www.compughterratings.com/CFB/matchups/North Dakota St-vs-Eastern Illinois-Neutral-Location

If #33 NDSU has an A+ for defense, why does #97 EIU have a A rating, should be B, IMO.

robsnotes4u
December 3rd, 2013, 12:58 PM
If #33 NDSU has an A+ for defense, why does #97 EIU have a A rating, should be B, IMO.

Could be, who knows what the rating system breakdown is. He does have a lot of information on each team.

Gil Dobie
December 3rd, 2013, 01:05 PM
Could be, who knows what the rating system breakdown is. He does have a lot of information on each team.

If you look at defense against common opponents, there is a big difference.
NDSU defense vs ILL ST 196 yds, SIU 227 yds
EIU defense vs Ill St 392 yds, SIU 503 yds

Ivytalk
December 3rd, 2013, 01:10 PM
Would be a nice change of pace if the Tony Romos took the crown this year.

Gil Dobie
December 3rd, 2013, 01:13 PM
Would be a nice change of pace if the Tony Romos took the crown this year.

Get you azz in the playoffs Ivy's ;)

Sycamore62
December 3rd, 2013, 01:26 PM
I think the biggest difference between EIU 2012 and EIU 2013 is the improvement in their defense. Ive seen both NDSU and EIU. If EIU's D is a 97 then NDSU should be in the 115 range.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2013, 01:32 PM
I think the biggest difference between EIU 2012 and EIU 2013 is the improvement in their defense. Ive seen both NDSU and EIU. If EIU's D is a 97 then NDSU should be in the 115 range.

I don't know where they are getting that. If NDSU's 99 defense is giving up 11.5 ppg. How is anyone going to score 30 on them?

Patriarch
December 3rd, 2013, 02:38 PM
That would be an interesting matchup, EIU vs. NDSU, if both teams get that far. Really wish FBS had a playoff too.

Go Panthers!

4 Team playoffs, FBS next year, will only cause more problems. FSU or OSU could be 1 loss teams then what? Mich. State would then be a 1 loss team but on the outside. What about Oklahoma State? NIU and if Mizzou beats Auburn they, Auburn, would be out. 4 Teams causes more problems the a 12 Team playoff would or at the least the Top 10.

centennial
December 3rd, 2013, 02:43 PM
4 Team playoffs, FBS next year, will only cause more problems. FSU or OSU could be 1 loss teams then what? Mich. State would then be a 1 loss team but on the outside. What about Oklahoma State? NIU and if Mizzou beats Auburn they, Auburn, would be out. 4 Teams causes more problems the a 12 Team playoff would or at the least the Top 10.
8 team playoff with no AQ would probably be more fair. 4 is a step in the right direction.

thebootfitter
December 3rd, 2013, 02:48 PM
I don't know where they are getting that. If NDSU's 99 defense is giving up 11.5 ppg. How is anyone going to score 30 on them?
​The Bison haven't faced anyone yet this year capable of scoring 30+, duh! ;-)

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2013, 02:56 PM
​The Bison haven't faced anyone yet this year capable of scoring 30+, duh! ;-)

Of course. The MVFC sucks, I know.

Patriarch
December 3rd, 2013, 03:13 PM
Isn't that the TRUTH!

Patriarch
December 3rd, 2013, 03:18 PM
8 team playoff with no AQ would probably be more fair. 4 is a step in the right direction.

It will evolve to AQs at some point...who would've thought the FCS would expand the field? Honestly, there were a couple of Teams that took slots from good Teams because of AQs, Butler is an example.

ming01
December 3rd, 2013, 03:27 PM
Of course. The MVFC sucks, I know.

but theres no offense in the mvc

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2013, 03:34 PM
but theres no offense in the mvc

I know, right? That's why NDSU has held 7 out of 11 teams to their lowest point total of the season. Including a shutout of SDSU which just hung 26 on NAU

Ask SHSU which came into the playoffs with the top offense how well the NDSU defense works.

SIUSalukiFan
December 3rd, 2013, 03:43 PM

If this is your opinion I'm betting you really haven't seen NDSU.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2013, 03:58 PM

Here's a little tidbit. Scoring average vs. score against NDSU. UNI and MoSt. proved to be the best. I guess MSU was supposed to be the clunker this year.

KSU

Ferris

DSU

SDSU

UNI

MSU

SIU

ISUb

ISUr

YSU

USD

AmsterBison
December 3rd, 2013, 04:07 PM

I thought those ratings were percentages, like grades, so 115% would be better than 97%.

BTW, I just saw SIU's defensive stats against Indiana State... holy cow.

SIUSalukiFan
December 3rd, 2013, 04:22 PM
I thought those ratings were percentages, like grades, so 115% would be better than 97%.

BTW, I just saw SIU's defensive stats against Indiana State... holy cow.

If I owe the man an apology he will certainly get one. xlolx

The SIU/Indiana State stats are misleading. The Salukis did play well in that game but Indiana State was using a WR at QB in the second half due to injuries.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a little tidbit. Scoring average vs. score against NDSU. UNI and MoSt. proved to be the best. I guess MSU was supposed to be the clunker this year.

KSU

Ferris

DSU

SDSU

UNI

MSU

SIU

ISUb

ISUr

YSU

USD

Impressive.

Sycamore62
December 3rd, 2013, 11:07 PM
Yes I watched them. I meant that the NDSU defense was much better than EIU. The points NDSU gave up to ISUb were misleading too since they ran a kickoff back for a TD.

In the SIU game not only was WR playing QB. 3 defensive players were playing offense. We were going to have a tough time this season anyway then we(they) proceeded to start dropping like flies.

eiupantherfan94
December 4th, 2013, 03:43 PM
EIU lost to NIU because the Huskies were simply more physical offensively. The Panthers had no answer defensively for NIU"s Cameron Stingley? I'm not too familiar with NDSU's roster outside of Jensen, but I'm betting they're the more physical team on both sides of the ball. While Eastern does have a good running game, I doubt it would be effective vs. the Bison. Like it was said earlier, the Panthers would have to use their quick-strike offense in order to pull of the upset, and when the receiving corps is at full strength we can beat anybody. Their special teams has also been suspect this year. For some reason, our kicker is just struggling with fg's this year, which will probably be a factor down the road in a close game. xsmhx

Sycamore62
December 4th, 2013, 04:02 PM
EIU lost to NIU because the Huskies were simply more physical offensively. The Panthers had no answer defensively for NIU"s Cameron Stingley? I'm not too familiar with NDSU's roster outside of Jensen, but I'm betting they're the more physical team on both sides of the ball. While Eastern does have a good running game, I doubt it would be effective vs. the Bison. Like it was said earlier, the Panthers would have to use their quick-strike offense in order to pull of the upset, and when the receiving corps is at full strength we can beat anybody. Their special teams has also been suspect this year. For some reason, our kicker is just struggling with fg's this year, which will probably be a factor down the road in a close game. xsmhx

Agree with the special teams aspect. The defense has shown up this year but when Babers was hired he said his gameplan was to win 65-64 or something like that. If your kicker regularly misses extra points that's gonna take a psychological and statistical toll on your team (I know, I've played on a team that had trouble with what should have been routine kicks).

Patriarch
December 5th, 2013, 02:59 PM

EIU was up 21-0 and Babers started to try to pound the ball, which is not what we excel at, and it bit us in the behind. I seriously doubt he'll do that again. As for the running game, Sheppard had 1,300 and TD had 800 that's pretty good considering how much we passed the ball. Kicking is horrible but it didn't hurt us in the OT game early in the season. Once EIU get's a large lead NDSU will have to abandon their vaunted running game which plays into our hands.

Bisonator
December 5th, 2013, 03:02 PM
EIU was up 21-0 and Babers started to try to pound the ball, which is not what we excel at, and it bit us in the behind. I seriously doubt he'll do that again. As for the running game, Sheppard had 1,300 and TD had 800 that's pretty good considering how much we passed the ball. Kicking is horrible but it didn't hurt us in the OT game early in the season. Once EIU get's a large lead NDSU will have to abandon their vaunted running game which plays into our hands.

What makes you think this is gonna happen?

centennial
December 5th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Delusions of grandeur often point to Narcissistic personality disorder.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 03:07 PM
What makes you think this is gonna happen?

He didn't see the game where NDSU went down 2 TDs to a bowl bound BCS team and came back to win.

Sycamore62
December 5th, 2013, 03:28 PM

When you say the kicking game didnt hurt you, do you just mean you didnt loose? I think They got a chip shot field goal blocked at the end of regulation. Not saying that was the kicker's fault but it seems like a reoccurring theme.

Lehigh'98
December 5th, 2013, 03:55 PM
He didn't see the game where NDSU went down 2 TDs to a bowl bound BCS team and came back to win.

God forbid another fanbase has confidence in their team. Granted, the matchup is a long ways off and both teams will have to get through some serious challenges first. If that happens, EIU is more than capable of jumping out to a lead against any team, including the Bison.

Milkman
December 5th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Nd 4 ever never said he shouldn't have confidence in his team. He did however provide an example to the contrary of the prediction, a game where a good team had a 2 possession lead on NDSU late in the game and the Bison did not abandon the run and went on to win. Fact and legitimate examples in a debate? For shame ND4E, for shame!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Nd 4 ever never said he shouldn't have confidence in his team. He did however provide an example to the contrary of the prediction, a game where a good team had a 2 possession lead on NDSU late in the game and the Bison did not abandon the run and went on to win. Fact and legitimate examples in a debate? For shame ND4E, for shame!

They don't even read my posts anymore. They just have prepared answers when they see them and copy/paste.

Lehigh'98
December 5th, 2013, 04:19 PM
They don't even read my posts anymore. They just have prepared answers when they see them and copy/paste.

Absolutely, I'm actually just a Lehigh bot created to auto reply to NoDak.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Absolutely, I'm actually just a Lehigh bot created to auto reply to NoDak.

That's just a guess, either that or you didn't read my post well enough.

Lehigh'98
December 5th, 2013, 04:48 PM
I have yet to see, in 2 yrs here, one post about a team potentially beating the Bison or even getting leads against them (all speculation) where the poster was not reprimanded by a NDSU poster about it. Surely, you could let one or two sneak by, no? Hell, maybe even agree with them just for the fun of it. I have never seen a fanbase (well mainly just you and a couple others) so defensive or proud or whatever u wanna call it.

Here's one:

I think Coastal Carolina has about a 40% chance to beat the Bison if they make it past Montana.........Do your thing Bison fans...

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 04:52 PM
I have yet to see, in 2 yrs here, one post about a team potentially beating the Bison or even getting leads against them (all speculation) where the poster was not reprimanded by a NDSU poster about it. Surely, you could let one or two sneak by, no? Hell, maybe even agree with them just for the fun of it. I have never seen a fanbase (well mainly just you and a couple others) so defensive or proud or whatever u wanna call it.

Here's one:

I think Coastal Carolina has about a 40% chance to beat the Bison if they make it past Montana.........Do your thing Bison fans...

If you offered one bit of analysis, I could counter it with more analysis as Patriarch and I did earlier.

I thought you Lehigh guys were smart.

Milkman
December 5th, 2013, 05:06 PM

Here's one:

[Insert picture of Inigo Montoya]

thebootfitter
December 5th, 2013, 05:24 PM
I think Coastal Carolina has about a 40% chance to beat the Bison if they make it past Montana.
I am curious how you came up with the 40% statistic.

Grizalltheway
December 5th, 2013, 05:36 PM
I am curious how you came up with the 40% statistic.

So am I. I think UM has a much better chance of taking down the Bizon, and I wouldn't put our number anywhere near that.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 05:53 PM
So am I. I think UM has a much better chance of taking down the Bizon, and I wouldn't put our number anywhere near that.

I know.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8AxQJmfsHNY/SRHWhr6yzqI/AAAAAAAAATc/Mj9ZkZxWpkk/s400/head-up-butt.png

Milkman
December 5th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Now Griz fans are "reprimanding" robo-lehigh. Oh the humanity!

Bisonator
December 5th, 2013, 07:49 PM
I simply wanted to know first how EIU would jump out to a big lead and second why NDSU would abandon the run when it hasn't been accomplished by any other team in 3 years. Just looking for how the EIU fans see that happening. Turnovers? I mean NDSU will be getting the ball too right? Is EIU going to shut down NDSU?

Lehigh'98
December 5th, 2013, 07:53 PM
IMHO, to beat NDSU, you have to be able to throw the ball well. Miss St had some success throwing on them. CC is a much better passing team than them, so they maybe able to throw indoors. I admit, getting past Montana in the cold will be a huge challenge, but I think CC has a better team than them. I still ultimately think NDSU will win, but that Coastal has a better chance than say Furman. CC also is very well coached. Also think EIU has the best chance because of their passing game. Flame away.

Milkman
December 5th, 2013, 07:55 PM
IMHO, to beat NDSU, you have to be able to throw the ball well. Miss St had some success throwing on them. CC is a much better passing team than them, so they maybe able to throw indoors. I admit, getting past Montana in the cold will be a huge challenge, but I think CC has a better team than them. I still ultimately think NDSU will win, but that Coastal has a better chance than say Furman. CC also is very well coached. Also think EIU has the best chance because of their passing game. Flame away.

I agree with all of you points.

In those scenarios it would come down to QB protection. Basically no matter what if you want to beat the Bison you better win the battle in the trenches.

Bisonator
December 5th, 2013, 08:26 PM
I agree with all of you points.

In those scenarios it would come down to QB protection. Basically no matter what if you want to beat the Bison you better win the battle in the trenches.

Exactly!

IMO to beat NDSU you will need great linemen. The game is won or lost in the trenches and I don't think there is a team in FCS that can match up against NDSU. UNI came the closest. Heck KSU was supposed to have one of the best o-lines in FBS this year and they couldn't do it. Even if you get up by 2 td's which is gonna be tough we are still going to pound the rock. By the 4th quarter you are gonna be done. I don't see any FCS team with the defense to shut NDSU's offense down either. SDSU is probably the closest, maybe SELA too. A team is going to have to be able to run and pass on offense. Shut down our run and pass on defense. Play very good on special teams. Be fundamentally sound, no turnovers, few penalties, etc. You can't be one dimensional to beat NDSU. You just want to pass, your QB is gonna get killed, better have a good backup or 2. MSU is a prime example. Even if EIU scores their defense doesn't look good enough to stop NDSU's offense either.

Can a team beat NDSU? It's possible I suppose. ButtBama! :D

Sycamore62
December 5th, 2013, 09:22 PM
I simply wanted to know first how EIU would jump out to a big lead and second why NDSU would abandon the run when it hasn't been accomplished by any other team in 3 years. Just looking for how the EIU fans see that happening. Turnovers? I mean NDSU will be getting the ball too right? Is EIU going to shut down NDSU?

Didnt getting away from the run cost NDSU a perfect season last year?

Bisonoline
December 5th, 2013, 09:33 PM

Pick 6s. 2 in one game or was it 3? 2 bad decisions. The other was a great play on a tipped ball I believe and we still almost pulled it off.

Sycamore62
December 5th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Pick 6s. 2 in one game or was it 3? 2 bad decisions. The other was a great play on a tipped ball I believe and we still almost pulled it off.

Same kid dropped what would have been the 3rd one earlier. Then a pick at the end sealed it.

I have to bring stuff like this up when I had zero things about this season to talk about.

Bisonator
December 5th, 2013, 09:42 PM

No. Our QB threw 2 pick 6's and another int while we were in FG range to tie the game. We didn't get away from the run. Just bad passes.

Bisonoline
December 5th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Same kid dropped what would have been the 3rd one earlier. Then a pick at the end sealed it.

I have to bring stuff like this up when I had zero things about this season to talk about.

14-17 yep only 2 6s.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 09:50 PM
No. Our QB threw 2 pick 6's and another int while we were in FG range to tie the game. We didn't get away from the run. Just bad passes.

Bad passes he is simply not making this year.

Bisonator
December 5th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Bad passes he is simply not making this year.

Yeah and he has never made in big games.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Yeah and he has never made in big games.

This. I think I made this point here or elsewhere. I think the MoSt game was our clunker this year. Right after the UNI game, it was kind of a letdown. Yes, there was a lot of defensive turd-ishness in that game but the offense took over, something that hasn't happened in the past. Usually it's the defense saving the offense.

EIU learned last year what it was like to play after a spongy OVC schedule. They got their asses stomped.

For as good as your QB is, he barely has a .500 record.

These are facts, not smack.

SIUSalukiFan
December 5th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Yes I watched them. I meant that the NDSU defense was much better than EIU. The points NDSU gave up to ISUb were misleading too since they ran a kickoff back for a TD.

In the SIU game not only was WR playing QB. 3 defensive players were playing offense. We were going to have a tough time this season anyway then we(they) proceeded to start dropping like flies.

Then here's my apology ... sorry. I misunderstood your post.

SIUSalukiFan
December 5th, 2013, 10:29 PM

Listen, I may be the No. 1 non-NDSU-affliated fan of the Bison on this board but this incessant green-and-gold hubris is starting to be a bit much. Can't you just admit you lost a game last year instead of coming up with 100 excuses why Indiana State beat you? Isn't being the national champ two years running and being the odds-on favorite to make it three in a row enough?

NDSU is a great program right now. We get it. How about you just waltz through the field and win the title again before jamming it up our asses on a daily basis?

Non-related note - Southern Illinois is the only team in America to have led the Bison at halftime in each of the last three years. ;)

robsnotes4u
December 5th, 2013, 10:30 PM

I agree with you on all aspects. I watched the first quarter of the EIU/JSU game today. 35 points, 3 rushing TD'S, 1 passing td by Gas, and one receiving by him. Crazy good against a team that is in the final 16, and maybe final 8 of the FCS playoffs. Also watch the NIU game. Hard not to be impressed by their offense. I agree that CCU is a better team than Montana, and has a better chance against NDSU, but I don't think that either of those teams will defeat NDSU. I still stand by my prediction, NDSU and EIU will not play because SELA wins in the semis.

Go ahead and flame me also, where is ND4evvvverrrrr?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2013, 10:36 PM
I agree with you on all aspects. I watched the first quarter of the EIU/JSU game today. 35 points, 3 rushing TD'S, 1 passing td by Gas, and one receiving by him. Crazy good against a team that is in the final 16, and maybe final 8 of the FCS playoffs. Also watch the NIU game. Hard not to be impressed by their offense. I agree that CCU is a better team than Montana, and has a better chance against NDSU, but I don't think that either of those teams will defeat NDSU. I still stand by my prediction, NDSU and EIU will not play because SELA wins in the semis.

Go ahead and flame me also, where is ND4evvvverrrrr?

Really, flame me all you want.

Jacksonville is giving up twice as many ppg against NDSU.

Is everyone new? What about NDSU's performances in the last two playoffs with essentially the same team, only younger and less experienced, leads anyone to believe that they will suddenly allow a ton of points?

Sycamore62
December 5th, 2013, 11:33 PM
I wouldn't take anyone left over NDSU straight up but there are a million ways to win and a million ways to loose. I don't think they are so dominant that it's a given they will win the whole thing. What EIU has going for them is that the game would be in Texas and not Charleston where it's likely to be cold as crap.

Big_Fan
December 6th, 2013, 12:50 AM
nfm

NoDak 4 Ever
December 6th, 2013, 07:09 AM
I wouldn't take anyone left over NDSU straight up but there are a million ways to win and a million ways to loose. I don't think they are so dominant that it's a given they will win the whole thing. What EIU has going for them is that the game would be in Texas and not Charleston where it's likely to be cold as crap.

It was kind of chilly last year. Not up north chilly, but still.

kingranch
December 6th, 2013, 07:19 AM
no it wasn't the game started in the fifties, that is not chilly.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 6th, 2013, 07:21 AM
no it wasn't the game started in the fifties, that is not chilly.

The tailgating was kind of chilly. I remember 2011. We were in shorts and flip flops at the Marriott party the night before, and the game seemed a little warmer.

eiupantherfan94
December 6th, 2013, 05:39 PM
EIU learned last year what it was like to play after a spongy OVC schedule. They got their asses stomped.

The OVC last year was just weak in general. Honestly, UT-Martin had more business representing the OVC than EIU but the Skyhawks couldn't take care of business vs. a terrible Tennessee Tech team. EIU was also fortunate enough to scrape by average teams in Murray State and Jacksonville State. However, keep in mind that the Panthers were coming off back to back 2 win seasons. Fortunately the offense was able to click with Babers' offense but the defense was still iffy. This year, they are 10x better and were still able to breeze through what I believe to be a stronger OVC. No curb-stomping this time :)

NoDak 4 Ever
December 6th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Can we say buttNIU now?

maine612
December 6th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Cold in minneapolis tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

Can we say buttNIU now?

Total egg.

Sycamore62
December 6th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Can we say buttNIU now?

Well at least we won't have to feel bad when the got humiliated in a BCS game. The "The Hard Way" placard probably was a little presumptuous.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 6th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Well at least we won't have to feel bad when the got humiliated in a BCS game. The "The Hard Way" placard probably was a little presumptuous.

Yep. Losing to an unranked team probably is the hard way to get into the BCS.

Sycamore62
December 6th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Yep. Losing to an unranked team probably is the hard way to get into the BCS.

I LOL'd

semobison
December 13th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Nope, not with a NAIA run defense like that!

DJKyR0
December 13th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Yeah, no.

Texas
December 13th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Chatty thread part 2?

Twentysix
December 13th, 2013, 10:41 PM

Nope.

centennial
December 13th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Did Eiu become the national champions yet?

Southern Bison
December 13th, 2013, 10:43 PM
This loss probably keeps Babers at EIU for a while longer. He hasn't proven that he can lead that talented of a team deep enough into the playoffs.

centennial
December 13th, 2013, 10:46 PM
This loss probably keeps Babers at EIU for a while longer. He hasn't proven that he can lead that talented of a team deep enough into the playoffs.
Don't agree, he has no distractions now. Lots of teams want the Baylor offense. With only 160k a year it wouldn't take much for him to go.

SIUSalukiFan
December 13th, 2013, 10:57 PM

I doubt it.

Sycamore62
December 13th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Prolly should have taken the EMU job. If FL Atlantic offers take it now

BisonHype!
December 13th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Chatty thread part 2?
Another thread that is fun to read, but nothing tops the Chatty thread.

Drblankstare
December 13th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Another thread that is fun to read, but nothing tops the Chatty thread.
Yeah Chatty thread wins and always will, only thing better is the bikini thread in the lounge. It's close though

Skyhawk71
December 14th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Chatty thread part 2?

Not close, that thread was started by the alleged UTC fan, and he ran with it.......This was not even started by an EIU fan

Theee Catrabbit
December 15th, 2013, 09:23 AM
So.....EIU again becomes smoke........YOU NEED A DEFENSE....just saying.....been saying it.......

BisonBacker
December 15th, 2013, 12:17 PM

Uhmmmm NO!

Bisonoline
December 16th, 2013, 12:09 AM
EIU was a very chippy team. No class what so ever. Not to mention that the school is a horse****z organization. Dont have the freaking brains to remove snow from the field for a playoff game?

Skyhawk71
December 16th, 2013, 08:34 PM
EIU was a very chippy team. No class what so ever. Not to mention that the school is a horse****z organization. Dont have the freaking brains to remove snow from the field for a playoff game?

Totally random, do you really live in Arkansas, I've seen your posts and always wanted to ask, did you graduate from NDSU and then move there- again this is not to talk smack- inquiring minds want to know- (I'm going Bentonville area)

Bisonoline
December 16th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Totally random, do you really live in Arkansas, I've seen your posts and always wanted to ask, did you graduate from NDSU and then move there- again this is not to talk smack- inquiring minds want to know- (I'm going Bentonville area)

Yes I live in Arkansas. Grew up in Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin. Went to school at University of Iowa for two years then NDSU for two years. Ended up getting my degree from George Washington University while in the Navy. Live 35 miles outside Harrison on Lake Bullshoals. Bentonville is over on the west side of the state. Home of Walmart. Or as the arkansans pronounce it---walmartS. LOL

Skyhawk71
December 17th, 2013, 06:11 AM
That is a very diverse college career, pretty cool, has to be tough to be a Bison in the land of WOOPIG, yeah we too have walmartS- Good luck on the road to the Three-peat........

deez_na
December 17th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Sure is funny to come back and see threads like this. lol

Sycamore62
December 17th, 2013, 08:44 AM
I think the WalmartS thing might be an old person thing. My guess is that back in the day you went to the store owned by Ole' Billy so you would always go to Billy's to get something ect. Discuss here since its gonna be a couple weeks to find out if EIU won the NC

deez_na
December 17th, 2013, 08:47 AM
I think the WalmartS thing might be an old person thing. My guess is that back in the day you went to the store owned by Ole' Billy so you would always go to Billy's to get something ect. Discuss here since its gonna be a couple weeks to find out if EIU won the NC

Weather hurt them. Without a solid run game in that snowy weather they weren't going to win that game.

Bisonator
December 17th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Weather hurt them. Without a solid run game in that snowy weather they weren't going to win that game.

I think their lack of a defense hurt them more.

deez_na
December 17th, 2013, 09:47 AM
I think their lack of a defense hurt them more.

lol yes that did very much so but in weather conditions like that you need a ground game too. Their defense was atrocious but i enjoyed watching West run all over them.

Skyhawk71
December 17th, 2013, 11:41 AM
If they had only sent the physical plant staff to walmartS for more snow shovels, EIU is rolling to the 'Ship...............

Bisonoline
December 17th, 2013, 04:20 PM
That is a very diverse college career, pretty cool, has to be tough to be a Bison in the land of WOOPIG, yeah we too have walmartS- Good luck on the road to the Three-peat........

I spend the FB season in Fargo. Plus i do a lot of hunting and fishing in northern MN. So its not tough at all. We are trying sell our house in AR so we can move to MN. I spend about a month fishing in TX during the spring and I get a lot of people who want to talk football when I am down there. They know us. LOL