PDA

View Full Version : Playoff officials

maine612
November 29th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Does anyone know how the referees are assigned to the playoff games? Is there an NCAA standard or methodology or is it up to the host school? I would like to think there is a balance between guys from my league and yours but I don't have any data to support that.

Texas
November 29th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Pray that SLC/Big 12 refs stay at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

ElCid
November 29th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Does any conference actually like their officials? From listening to all the bellyaching all year long you would think that all game officials in FCS went to the Helen Keller School for Officials. Just curious.

taper
November 29th, 2013, 10:10 AM
In the past it's been a officiating team from a different conference than the 2 teams playing. FBS supplies replay officials in the quarters and above.

Grizalltheway
November 29th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Does any conference actually like their officials? From listening to all the bellyaching all year long you would think that all game officials in FCS went to the Helen Keller School for Officials. Just curious.

In short: no.

Houndawg
November 29th, 2013, 10:18 AM
If you get MVC officials you will come to truly understand the meaning of the term "tears of rage".....

Milkman
November 29th, 2013, 10:26 AM
In the past it's been a officiating team from a different conference than the 2 teams playing. FBS supplies replay officials in the quarters and above. IMO this will/would reduce a lot (but not all) of the questionable calls I saw this year.

Winindy
November 29th, 2013, 10:29 AM

I think it depends on the crew. If I don't notice them, I think they are probably a decent crew. I hate seeing crews that have to call every nit picky play. Or call a holding penalty 50 yards from the play side. If the head official is getting more airtime than the starting QB, I think it's a little ridiculous. Basketball is absolutely stupid this year with all the fouls. 80 free throws in a game isn't fun to watch.

Also, I think that instant replay is available for all games in the playoffs. I could be wrong about that, but I thought they instituted it last year for playoffs only.

Tubakat2014
November 29th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Instant replay will put our lovely zebra buffoons in their place. I dream of a future where instant replay extends to the regular season... but a dream it will remain.

kalm
November 29th, 2013, 10:43 AM
I'm just glad we don't have to play at WGS and hope Bill Fette is in the booth for all of ours...

Grizalltheway
November 29th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I'm just glad we don't have to play at WGS and hope Bill Fette is in the booth for all of ours...

Me too, I've heard enough pissing and moaning about that from you and your ilk to last a lifetime.xcoffeex

SpeedkingATL
November 29th, 2013, 10:56 AM
I always thought the SoCon officials were terrible until the National Championship game in Chatty when App played Delaware. The MEAC officials for that game were really bad; but at least they were equal opportunity bad for both teams. I actually thought the SoCon officials were better overall this year that in the past.

Tealblood
November 29th, 2013, 02:39 PM
I think typically officials who are beholden to their conference alone are better simply because they try to care more about the product and understand its importance to the 2 teams playing

Tealblood
November 29th, 2013, 02:45 PM
To further clarify our officials are ACC ref's and I sometimes think they just go thru the motions calling our games when they are pissed they didn't get the Clemson v. FSU game or whatever big game is that week.

Sometimes I think the mentality is " oh well might as well call holding here it's not like anybody gives a rip it's just CCU and Presbyterian"

clawman
November 29th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Me too, I've heard enough pissing and moaning about that from you and your ilk to last a lifetime.xcoffeex

You should be glad, those 17 point beatdowns have got to hurt.

Texas
November 29th, 2013, 03:11 PM
This same crew that officiated SHSU vs EWU that contributed to at least two EWU scores, phantom fumble against SHSU and the terrible acting on a flop by Cooper Kupp. That's just one game.

http://youtu.be/i8hEZ1Bhcbw
"Not indisputable evidence"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

JSUBison
November 29th, 2013, 03:28 PM
I don't know how they are assigned, but usually we know by now what the assignments are for the upcoming games.

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2013, 04:11 PM
IMO this will/would reduce a lot (but not all) of the questionable calls I saw this year.
Assuming you get a replay official with the balls to reverse the incorrect call. As we've seen that's always the case *cough*BILLFETTE*cough*.

Mountaineer
November 29th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Condolences to whichever teams end up with SoCon refs tomorrow. xshakefistx

Grizalltheway
November 29th, 2013, 05:18 PM
You should be glad, those 17 point beatdowns have got to hurt.

17 points? You weren't a math major, were ya?

eaglewraith
December 1st, 2013, 02:14 PM
In the past it's been a officiating team from a different conference than the 2 teams playing. FBS supplies replay officials in the quarters and above.

Thought starting with last year replay was implemented in all rounds?

robsnotes4u
December 1st, 2013, 02:15 PM
There were a lot of replays yesterday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

katstrapper
December 1st, 2013, 04:08 PM
If you get MVC officials you will come to truly understand the meaning of the term "tears of rage".....
MVFC officials called SHSU game yesterday and appeared to do a solid job.
pray u dont get SLC OFFICIALS.

Sycamore62
December 1st, 2013, 04:42 PM
I cannot stand the MVFC official that basically cost the Sycamores a perfect conference record and the #1 seed. Every call was bad and went against us.

Actually the the crews I thought were the worst were the Big 10 crews that had our IU game last year and Purdue this year. Zero calls went our way and we were playing for a chance to go ahead in both games on the last drive.

LouiseBFree
December 1st, 2013, 08:13 PM
Yeah, Willie "appeared" to be screaming at them the entire game!!! xlolx
MVFC officials called SHSU game yesterday and appeared to do a solid job.
pray u dont get SLC OFFICIALS.