PDA

View Full Version : Quarterfinal and semifinal hosting question

dgtw
November 29th, 2013, 09:07 AM
I know the second round games are hosted by the eight seeded team,s but what about later rounds?

If a quarterfinal game features two seeded teams, does the higher seeded team automatically get to host the game (1 hosts 8, 2 hosts 7, etc)? Or does it go to bids? Same question for semifinals.

If a QF or SF game is between a seed and a non seed, does the seed automatically host? What if a game is between two non seeds?

Texas
November 29th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Highest seed always hosts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

stevdock
November 29th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Yes highest seed does always host. If there is a game between two non-seeded teams, then it goes to the highest bid.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 29th, 2013, 09:53 AM
I think the higher seed still has to bid/pay the minimum. Didn't Colgate opt out of the semi-final home game when they were seeded (to play in Florida) in 2003? Or are the rules different with the field of 24?

maine612
November 29th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Yes...you have to pay the minimum or you lose out on home game...seed or not.

Grizalltheway
November 29th, 2013, 10:01 AM
So if Montana were to get past NDSU, they could potentially host a semifinal against Maine or SELU? No idea what the minimum bid is.

maine612
November 29th, 2013, 10:07 AM
So if Montana were to get past NDSU, they could potentially host a semifinal against Maine or SELU? No idea what the minimum bid is.

If Maine or SELU made the minimum bid, Montana will travel to those schools.

Grizalltheway
November 29th, 2013, 10:08 AM
If Maine or SELU made the minimum bid, Montana will travel to those schools.

I get that, just wondering if either of those schools would be in danger of not making the minimum.

taper
November 29th, 2013, 10:08 AM
I can't imagine any of this year's seeds not putting up the minimum bid. It'll be very rare the higher seed doesn't host. Unless a school pulls a GSU and forgets to bid.

maine612
November 29th, 2013, 10:10 AM
I get that, just wondering if either of those schools would be in danger of not making the minimum.

I know Maine put in bids for all rounds....don't know about SELA.

lionsrking2
November 29th, 2013, 11:17 AM
We bid aggressively for all round... We'll have no issues hosting.

SIUSalukiFan
November 29th, 2013, 03:09 PM

The minimum bid is $30,000, and then the NCAA gets half of the game-day ticket sales.

That's why Montana is so attractive as a home team.

robsnotes4u
November 29th, 2013, 04:20 PM
The minimum bid is $30,000, and then the NCAA gets half of the game-day ticket sales.

It is not that simple. Teams have to submit expense reports, and then profits after the bid amount are split. THe NCAA does not get half of the game day sales revenue.

hebmskebm
November 29th, 2013, 05:25 PM
What would happen if two unseeded teams ended up facing one another in a later round and neither put in a bid to host?

Mountaineer
November 29th, 2013, 05:38 PM
What would happen if two unseeded teams ended up facing one another in a later round and neither put in a bid to host?

http://mycoolpix.com/files/funzug/imgs/arch/giant_spillway_dam_01.jpg

Bisonoline
November 29th, 2013, 05:45 PM

I actually think its more than that. I wish Hammersmith would post here more often. He knows all this stuff.

taper
November 29th, 2013, 07:12 PM

I actually think its more than that. I wish Hammersmith would post here more often. He knows all this stuff.

Don't worry, I got this.

http://www.ncaa.com/fcs-selections-101

Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees, which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed budget:
First Round--$30,000
Second Round--$30,000
Quarterfinals--$40,000
Semifinals--$50,000

If a quarterfinal or semifinal playoff site is not available due to the fact the institutions involved did not submit a proposed budget, the committee will contact the institutions and offer the opportunity to submit a bid at the current round’s minimum financial guarantee level. If seeded teams are not involved, the committee will determine the host institution by applying the championship site - selection criteria in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1

Bisonoline
November 29th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Don't worry, I got this.

http://www.ncaa.com/fcs-selections-101

Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees, which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed budget:
First Round--$30,000
Second Round--$30,000
Quarterfinals--$40,000
Semifinals--$50,000

If a quarterfinal or semifinal playoff site is not available due to the fact the institutions involved did not submit a proposed budget, the committee will contact the institutions and offer the opportunity to submit a bid at the current round’s minimum financial guarantee level. If seeded teams are not involved, the committee will determine the host institution by applying the championship site - selection criteria in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1

According to the 2012 championship handbook, it was 75% of the estimated net receipts. At least it is if I'm reading it right. Here's the quote:

2. If the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff sites to the top five seeded teams.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...B_OEM_ID=12300 (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nacda/sports/div1aaaada/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/adminguidelines.pdf?CONTENT_ID=251746&DB_OEM_ID=12300)

Thanks you filled in the rest!

taper
November 29th, 2013, 07:32 PM
The 2013/14 Procedures and Principles are linked at the bottom of the page. Playoff field changed, rules slightly adjusted for it.