PDA

View Full Version : SWAC Owns up to Ref Mistakes

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Picked this up from SWACPage...apparently Grambling should have potentially lost that game against Mississippi Valley State. Grambling ended up winning the game. Mississippi Valley St missed a FG on the questioned drive instead of a potential TD and PAT...

Glad the SWAC is responding. As one fan admits (and I whole-heartedily agree after seeing a SWAC officiating crew debate downs for three minutes on ESPNU last week), "If they keep going back over films, there won't be any officials left!"...but hey, according to one AGS poster, these are the same officials C-USA uses...xidiotx

SWAC Finds Error During
Grambling State-Mississippi Valley State Game

Game official made incorrect call during Grambling State - Mississippi Valley football game on touchdown catch.

The Southwestern Athletic Conference today determined that an error was made on a touchdown play during the Grambling State - Mississippi Valley State football game on Saturday, October 7.

SWAC Coordinator of Officials Gil Marchman announced Wednesday an error was made on a pass play with 5 minutes and 26 seconds (5:26) remaining in the fourth quarter, when a touchdown catch was ruled out of bounds.

As a result, the official in question will not be assigned any more contests within the Southwestern Athletic Conference for the remainder of the football season.

While errors such as these are part of sports and the human aspect of officiating the Conference office is disappointed with this unfortunate situation and will continue to improve the performance of its officials.

http://www.swacpage.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64276

GeauxLions94
October 12th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Picked this up from SWACPage...apparently Grambling should have potentially lost that game against Mississippi Valley State. Grambling ended up winning the game. Mississippi Valley St missed a FG on the questioned drive instead of a potential TD and PAT...

Glad the SWAC is responding. As one fan admits (and I whole-heartedily agree after seeing a SWAC officiating crew debate downs for three minutes on ESPNU last week), "If they keep going back over films, there won't be any officials left!"...but hey, according to one AGS poster, these are the same officials C-USA uses...xidiotx

SWAC Finds Error During

Game official made incorrect call during Grambling State - Mississippi Valley football game on touchdown catch.

The Southwestern Athletic Conference today determined that an error was made on a touchdown play during the Grambling State - Mississippi Valley State football game on Saturday, October 7.

SWAC Coordinator of Officials Gil Marchman announced Wednesday an error was made on a pass play with 5 minutes and 26 seconds (5:26) remaining in the fourth quarter, when a touchdown catch was ruled out of bounds.

As a result, the official in question will not be assigned any more contests within the Southwestern Athletic Conference for the remainder of the football season.

While errors such as these are part of sports and the human aspect of officiating the Conference office is disappointed with this unfortunate situation and will continue to improve the performance of its officials.

Goodbye SWAC, hello Southland :smiley_wi

3rd Coast Tiger
October 12th, 2006, 01:24 AM
but hey, according to one AGS poster, these are the same officials C-USA uses...xidiotx

Bottom line:

So you are telling me that an official that I grew up with and attended Texas Southern with me lied to me about calling Conference USA and SWAC games? xidiotx xidiotx

TexasTerror
October 12th, 2006, 05:20 AM
So you are telling me that an official that I grew up with and attended Texas Southern with me lied to me about calling Conference USA and SWAC games? xidiotx xidiotx

Nope, just stating that all of these refs can't be that good, C-USA or not...

jstate83
October 12th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Now that the ball is rolling, CLEAN HOUSE.

They could have looked at any game and found reason to do the same.
This has been going on forever in the SWAC reguarding these ref's.

Everybody think's ref's are bad........................A lot of these guy's are really bad.:nonono2:

MACHIAVELLI
October 12th, 2006, 10:26 AM

SWAC Finds Error During

They only reviewed a play/call that was protested. I am sure Coach Spears has his tape to send into the conference. If he does that entire crew would be suspended.

TexasTerror
October 12th, 2006, 04:33 PM
They only reviewed a play/call that was protested. I am sure Coach Spears has his tape to send into the conference. If he does that entire crew would be suspended.

Nothing on the SWAC's feelings regarding that televised fiasco of officiating that took place before 1000 fans in Cypress, TX featuring PVA&M and Alcorn St?

SWAC TV deal may be nice, but if your officials are going to get blasted by your play by play folks on that network each week, it doesn't look too pretty...

McNeese72
October 12th, 2006, 04:52 PM
If the Southland Conference started doing this, the Southland Conference would spend all its time cataloging the mistakes and there probably wouldn't be any refs left for the games. :)

And the picture below here shows what the Southland Conference Officials consider excessive celebration. Carlese raised his hand up and dropped it right away as he crossed the goal line with what ended up being a long gamewinning TD. And he got flagged. We see more crap than this that doesn't get called watching other games of other conferences on TV every weekend.

Credit: Picture was taken by American Press Photographer Brad Puckett.

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/suu06g12xcelebrate.jpg

Doc

mikebigg
October 12th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Please tell me you are kidding.... If they flagged that kid for raising his finger (and not the bad finger at that), then that official needs to get a life.

slycat
October 12th, 2006, 11:23 PM
atleast the 2 most penalized teams in teh slc will be playing each other on fssw this weekend so maybe they learn to ref right or they will just look like idiots on tv.