PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Games and Local TV

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2013, 01:21 PM
I am sure there are a lot of Lafayette fans in the Easton area that would love to watch the NCAA playoff game on their local station, WPBH-60. All the Lafayette Sports Network games were broadcast on this station, part of Lafayette's in-house production of all Lafayette home games and the vast majority of their away games.

But in the playoffs, the NCAA owns the rights, and they've deemed that ESPN3 is going to be the coverage for the game. To the tech savvy, setting up an ESPN3 feed is no big deal, through an XBox, Laptop, tablet or whatever, but there's also a whole multitude of people who don't.

Does anyone know the reason why ESPN won't open up broadcasts to local TV stations so that fans can enjoy the games? I really don't see what ESPN would really have to do much different technically than to just lease out the ESPN3 feed to whatever local station (or campus TV station) that might be interested.

In all honesty, it is something I don't understand. ESPN is doing the broadcast anyway, for ESPN3. They could make some sheckels from the content, they get a good rapport with that community for doing something they want, and they get more eyeballs on their content, push ESPN/ESPN3 shows, etc. Why isn't this happening?

Twentysix
November 27th, 2013, 01:31 PM
I am pretty sure ESPN will allow local stations to play the games that aren't on an actual TV channel ESPN, it is a matter of money. The stations in fargo didn't think buying the feed was cost effective.

Twentysix
November 27th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Maybe Lafayette has alums with the cash for the local TV to lose a hundred grand (or whatever ESPN wants) to play the game.

NDSU and Montana probably have the biggest FCS market shares and potential TV ad revenue, and they haven't swung it either.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Maybe Lafayette has alums with the cash for the local TV to lose a hundred grand (or whatever ESPN wants) to play the game.

NDSU and Montana probably have the biggest FCS market shares and potential TV ad revenue, and they haven't swung it either.

I didn't think it was an issue with money. I thought ESPN simply wasn't willing to do it.

Twentysix
November 27th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I think I may remember the fargo news addressing it in 2011. It is always a money thing.

Winindy
November 27th, 2013, 03:03 PM
http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/55470/

They offered ESPN gameplan. I'm not sure that the local stations ever had the option to work out a solution to show the games in their market. It wasn't mentioned in the WDAY report or in this forum article.
https://secure.forumcomm.com/?publisher_ID=1&article_id=343361&a1=5c0b87e430fef296f9d388dccecb58f9&b1=64a3513960c132a770c2f57010b3bbed&CFID=407977701&CFTOKEN=73270410

Grizz12thMan
November 28th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Don't Like what ESPN is doing, We could use your Support here - FCS vs ESPN Petition, click link below !!

PLEASE JOIN EVENT AND INVITE EVERYONE YOU KNOW, WE NEED EVERYONE WE CAN GET TO CLICK ON "GOING" DON'T LET ESPN PUSH THE FCS AROUND....

https://www.facebook.com/events/1479409388951063

GrizzlyEdd
November 28th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Check out our Facebook page/event... mentioned in above post.... there is a lot more going on than meets the eye... most people are very ignorant as to the why's and why not's.