PDA

View Full Version : SoCon fans-Give us a Furman Scouting Report

THE HERD
November 27th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Pretty sure Furman will take care of S. Carolina St., so was wondering if the SoCon fans on here could give us some info on the Paladins, such as type of D and O, how they stack up to past SoCon champions, best players, etc. I know they have a hell of a O-lineman in Dozier, but any other info would be appreciated.

Southern Bison
November 27th, 2013, 09:35 AM
I watched the Wofford/Furman game last week in person. Against Wofford, they started out running the ball but not getting anywhere. They started passing a lot of 5-10 yd routes and that started to open up the running game a bit. Wofford doesn't have the Pass D that the Bison do, so take that into consideration. Wofford's front 4 was able to get pressure on the Furman QB so he rarely went after the deep ball.

I would compare their D to YSU in what the Bison were able to do 2 weeks ago. Wofford was able to move the ball downfield without much trouble with their triple-option while sending a tight end or slot receiver up the seam for a long pass.

Furman's punter & kicker are both very good and can play a role in the field position game through long field goals & well-positioned punts.

I would match Furman with a ISU-r or a YSU in terms of teams that we've played this year. Plan for Furman as they did for those 2 and we'll move on to the quarterfinals.

citdog
November 27th, 2013, 09:40 AM
furman sucks

Mountaineer
November 27th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Furman has played like 82 freshman a year for the past five years, so they're a young team..just wanted to make sure you know how young Furman is. xrolleyesx

walliver
November 27th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Furman has played like 82 freshman a year for the past five years, so they're a young team..just wanted to make sure you know how young Furman is. xrolleyesx

Half the team isn't shaving yet. And the other half are injured.

PaladinFan
November 27th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Furman is a young team. Perhaps among the youngest teams in the SoCon. Their season started off poorly that was, perhaps, attributable to key injuries at key positions (namely QB) and learning how to win games. Since Reese Hannon returned from injury, only one SoCon team has managed to stay within one score of Furman (GSU).

Offensively, Furman is a typical prostyle offense. They want to run the ball between the tackles, and a huge portion of their passing plays come off the play action. They have a 1,000 yard back in Hank McCloud, a solid crop of receivers including the emerging Andrej Suttles (who Wofford had no answer for), and a strong offensive line anchored by, perhaps, the best FCS Olineman in Dakota Dozier. Reese Hannon is a great "game manager" type QB who makes strong decisions. He has been intercepted only three times this season (once by Coastal, once by LSU, and once by Wofford after Terrier defender tackled the intended receiver with the ball in the air).

Defensively, Furman is an interesting team. They surrender a lot of yards, but very few points. They are a typical "bend don't break" defense that will give teams the opportunity to complete short passes and dink and dunk their way down the field. They are among the leaders in the NCAA in turnover margin, however, and tend to force three or four turnovers every game.

Special teams is a strong suit. Ray Early handles both punting and kicking. He is among the FCS leaders as a place kicker, is extremely accurate inside of about 55 yards. He takes a huge lift off the offense, who really has to only reach the opponent's 40 yard line to score.

Fowler is a very conservative coach. He takes the field goals, punts the ball deep, stays true to the game plan. He also appears to be developing into an extremely strong game manager. Furman has been overwhelming in the second half of games, and that was no more evident than against Wofford. Wofford dominated the game until about the 5 minute mark in the second quarter, and then Furman just ran away with it.

Obviously, the team is young. The offense will from time to time struggle to move the ball, particularly on the ground. The defense still allows too many yards, and often relies too heavily on creating turnovers. The record, though, is a bit deceiving. They were awful through much of the first part of the season, but the team now might as well be a different team. A flip was switched somewhere along the middle of the season.

I do think they'd be a tough matchup in the playoffs. They have already played in perhaps the biggest loudest environment in college football (89k in Baton Rouge). They take on the personality of their coach - even keel, never up, never down. They are extremely strong on special teams, and have an extremely good kicker that may be as valuable to his team as any player in the country. They have been prolific at forcing turnovers, both fumbles and interceptions.

Mountaineer
November 27th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Furman is a young team. Perhaps among the youngest teams in the SoCon. Obviously, the team is young.

xlolx

xsmugx

PaladinFan
November 27th, 2013, 10:02 AM

51.1% of the roster. Just had senior day and recognized only 10 guys, of which only 5 or so are regular contributors.

They'll return a bunch of guys on both sides of the ball.

SpeedkingATL
November 27th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Furman's defense is a bend but don't break type and against App was successful in attaining 5 turnovers including a 90+ yard pick six. App's had 450+ yards but only 10 points, however that was App's MO until late in the season when they started converting in the red zone. In some ways Furman reminds me of a "Bison Light", not real fancy but pretty effective. They depend more on the passing game than the Bison but do the basics pretty good, and generally don't beat themselves. They do indeed have Dozier to run behind when they need a yard. Here's hoping they get past SC State as that isn't a given by a long shot. That purple they wear will really clash with the yellow and green of the Bison so you'll likely need to adjust your HD if they play.

Sir William
November 27th, 2013, 10:13 AM
That purple they wear will really clash with the yellow and green of the Bison so you'll likely need to adjust your HD if they play.

xlolx

Seriously, I'd love to see the Paladins make a trip up to Fargo...but we've gotta first take care of business in Orangeburg, and SC State is a formidable opponent.

Bisonator
November 27th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Furman is a young team. Perhaps among the youngest teams in the SoCon. Their season started off poorly that was, perhaps, attributable to key injuries at key positions (namely QB) and learning how to win games. Since Reese Hannon returned from injury, only one SoCon team has managed to stay within one score of Furman (GSU).

Offensively, Furman is a typical prostyle offense. They want to run the ball between the tackles, and a huge portion of their passing plays come off the play action. They have a 1,000 yard back in Hank McCloud, a solid crop of receivers including the emerging Andrej Suttles (who Wofford had no answer for), and a strong offensive line anchored by, perhaps, the best FCS Olineman in Dakota Dozier. Reese Hannon is a great "game manager" type QB who makes strong decisions. He has been intercepted only three times this season (once by Coastal, once by LSU, and once by Wofford after Terrier defender tackled the intended receiver with the ball in the air).

Defensively, Furman is an interesting team. They surrender a lot of yards, but very few points. They are a typical "bend don't break" defense that will give teams the opportunity to complete short passes and dink and dunk their way down the field. They are among the leaders in the NCAA in turnover margin, however, and tend to force three or four turnovers every game.

Special teams is a strong suit. Ray Early handles both punting and kicking. He is among the FCS leaders as a place kicker, is extremely accurate inside of about 55 yards. He takes a huge lift off the offense, who really has to only reach the opponent's 40 yard line to score.

Fowler is a very conservative coach. He takes the field goals, punts the ball deep, stays true to the game plan. He also appears to be developing into an extremely strong game manager. Furman has been overwhelming in the second half of games, and that was no more evident than against Wofford. Wofford dominated the game until about the 5 minute mark in the second quarter, and then Furman just ran away with it.

Obviously, the team is young. The offense will from time to time struggle to move the ball, particularly on the ground. The defense still allows too many yards, and often relies too heavily on creating turnovers. The record, though, is a bit deceiving. They were awful through much of the first part of the season, but the team now might as well be a different team. A flip was switched somewhere along the middle of the season.

I do think they'd be a tough matchup in the playoffs. They have already played in perhaps the biggest loudest environment in college football (89k in Baton Rouge). They take on the personality of their coach - even keel, never up, never down. They are extremely strong on special teams, and have an extremely good kicker that may be as valuable to his team as any player in the country. They have been prolific at forcing turnovers, both fumbles and interceptions.

Sounds like a younger more inexperienced Bison team. Similar to the 2010 Bison squad that made it to the quarterfinals. Hopefully they don't do that to us! xthumbsupx

Apphole
November 27th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Furman is the product of a down conference and should be dispatched by the BYE-ZON quite easily, assuming they can even make it past SCST.

The weakest App team in decades turned the ball over 100 times and still almost pulled off the win.

PaladinFan
November 27th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Furman is the product of a down conference and should be dispatched by the BYE-ZON quite easily, assuming they can even make it past SCST.

The weakest App team in decades turned the ball over 100 times and still almost pulled off the win.

Yup. 27-3 in the 4th quarter was "almost" pulling off a win.

SCPALADIN
November 27th, 2013, 11:46 AM

Yep...Furman was up 27-3 going into the 4th quarter. It was a real nail-biter xrolleyesx

PaladinFan
November 27th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Sounds like a younger more inexperienced Bison team. Similar to the 2010 Bison squad that made it to the quarterfinals. Hopefully they don't do that to us! xthumbsupx

Never seen NDSU play. I will say that this year's Furman team is reminiscent of the Furman teams of yesteryear. It's nice to see a defense-first prostyle game back in Greenville.

PaladinFan
November 27th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Yep...Furman was up 27-3 going into the 4th quarter. It was a real nail-biter xrolleyesx

I'm not sure what finishing school taught #11 how to tackle, but he still hasn't found Gary Wilkins.

http://youtu.be/hniG_JLhIFw

Grizalltheway
November 27th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Yup. 27-3 in the 4th quarter was "almost" pulling off a win.

Cut him some slack. You'd be disgruntled too if your team just finished 4-8 and only had the Sun Belch to look forward too...

hypercycloid
November 27th, 2013, 12:23 PM

Don't you have a Sun Belt message board to go to now? Why are you still slumming it down here with us poor FCS folk?

PaladinNation
November 27th, 2013, 12:52 PM
I think Furman is a dangerous team to play right now. That said they have some serious business to take care of in Orangeburg, they cannot take the Dogs lightly, and they won't.

If Furman makes it to Fargo, I hope we play with a chip on our shoulder, like against LSU. I think Furman will surprise NDSU with its physical play, if you thought GSU and Wofford played physical, you can expect the same from the Paladins. The biggest difference between the last two SoCon teams you've played and Furman is the Paladin passing game.

I'll be the first to admit, the Paladin offense has taken basically the whole season to get some mojo. Despite losing our top receiver to injury, the receiving corps is pretty nasty to deal with. Culbreath 6-4, Dingess 6-5, Snellings 6-2, Suttles 5-11, and Mason 6-4 can block, catch, and they can all get yards after the catch.

The problem against NDSU is can the OL give Hannon time to throw some deep balls.

centennial
November 27th, 2013, 01:13 PM
As a note 6 of their games are on replay on ESPN3. Go to replay and put Furman in the search box.
Furman vs. #13 LSU
Furman vs. Chattanooga
Elon vs. Furman
Furman vs. Coastal Carolina
Furman vs. Gardner-Webb
Furman fans NDSU has 6 games on espn 3 from this year and 3 from the previous. Put North Dakota State in the search.

LarryBoy
November 27th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Awesome. All of our losses are on ESPN3.

Though, the first half of the LSU game is a good indicator of how good and physical the Paladins can be when things are clicking. The less said about the G-W, Elon, and Chattanooga games (the Reese Hannon-less games), the better.

PaladinFan
November 27th, 2013, 01:49 PM

Though, the first half of the LSU game is a good indicator of how good and physical the Paladins can be when things are clicking. The less said about the G-W, Elon, and Chattanooga games (the Reese Hannon-less games), the better.

Right. I'm not sure how much those three games will tell you about the Paladins.

Hannon makes a huge difference for the Paladins.

LarryBoy
November 27th, 2013, 01:52 PM
To add a scouting report...

I have no idea what to expect out of Furman in these playoffs. You can't point to any single area where they've been dominant this year, aside from Ray Early's placekicking. They can run well enough, pass well enough, defend well enough. But those "well enoughs" keep getting stronger and stronger. They now know how to win games. They respond well to adversity. They have more big play ability (on both offense and defense) than any Furman team I've seen in years– particularly in the second half. They create a lot of turnovers, and like to go for it all on the very next play– and succeed frequently.

The lack of depth shows in the number of yards they've given up in the second half as the defense loses steam. But, as has been mentioned, that rarely turns into points. At home, Furman has surrendered just 15 second-half points over the course of the entire season (7 points in the 4th vs. App State, 8 in the 3rd vs. Samford). But that's at home, where Furman will no longer have the benefit of playing this year.

I'm expecting Saturday's game against SC State to be very close. If they make it to Fargo, I wouldn't put my money on them. But, frankly, we don't know yet how high the ceiling is for this Furman team. Odds are, we won't approach it until next year or the year after. But crazy things have happened this season for the Paladins.

centennial
November 27th, 2013, 02:10 PM

Any 1 or 2 games to watch, out of the ones that are on replay?

LarryBoy
November 27th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Any 1 or 2 games to watch, out of the ones that are on replay?

Like I said, maybe LSU. Furman is in the playoffs based on their outstanding play over the second half of the season. All of those ESPN3 games are from the first half, when we all felt like the program was nose-diving.

longtimemocfan
November 27th, 2013, 02:50 PM
I saw Furman play here in Chattanooga. Though It was a pretty one sided game with out Hannon, you couldn't help but notice some good things about their football team. For one if they get the ball inside your 40 It's points. Early is almost automatic from that point on in. They also do a great job of forcing turnovers and are very well coached.

PaladinNation
November 27th, 2013, 03:04 PM
one more tiny point…
Furman has made a fast adjustment to playing on field turf. I think you saw it come into play against Wofford.
I thought Furman looked quicker.
The defense zoomed sideline to sideline against the Terriers that's saying something.
Our offense has some players that can make some very fast cuts; McCloud, Suttles, and Hayes.
And Early appears to love play turf.

Glad to see SCST has polyturf and of course the Fargo Dome.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 27th, 2013, 07:46 PM

If Furman makes it to Fargo it will be interesting to see this. Teams always try to 'out-physical' the Bison and it never works. Looking forward to seeing Furman if they get past SCSU.

Bison56
November 27th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Suttles looks like a good WR from what I have seen. Is he the go to guy?

youwouldno
November 27th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Suttles looks like a good WR from what I have seen. Is he the go to guy?

He's becoming the go-to guy. He started getting more opportunities after Furman's #1 receiver was lost for the year to injury (Gary Robinson). He's averaged 100 yards over the past 4 games... not explosively fast, but quick and skilled at finding holes in the defense.

The passing game looms large for this upcoming weekend, because I have a feeling SC State will focus on the run and make the Paladins beat them through the air.

BisonFan02
November 27th, 2013, 08:57 PM

Sounds an awful lot like NDSU as far as playing style. Looking forward to this one! (obviously first things first this weekend)

ejjones
November 28th, 2013, 01:11 AM
Pretty sure Furman will take care of S. Carolina St., so was wondering if the SoCon fans on here could give us some info on the Paladins, such as type of D and O, how they stack up to past SoCon champions, best players, etc. I know they have a hell of a O-lineman in Dozier, but any other info would be appreciated.
I hope the team is looking forward to Fargo like "the herd". If you resort to a pass happy style of play, it will not be good for your QB. Our defense is built on speed rather than size. I'd like to see the guy that has to block our DT #97. We have a very deep front 7 and rotate out about. 3-4 at a time to stay fresh. As you know we lead the FCS in sacks & it's not dominated by one individual.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2013, 06:32 AM
I hope the team is looking forward to Fargo like "the herd". If you resort to a pass happy style of play, it will not be good for your QB. Our defense is built on speed rather than size. I'd like to see the guy that has to block our DT #97. We have a very deep front 7 and rotate out about. 3-4 at a time to stay fresh. As you know we lead the FCS in sacks & it's not dominated by one individual.

That is why if you get by Furman, SCSU does not stand a chance against the Bison. Our O-line has dominated people all year with their size, strength and athleticism. Speed is great but when you're getting 'pancaked' continually it takes a toll in the 2nd half.

I guess we'll find out.

TennBison
November 28th, 2013, 07:16 AM
That is why if you get by Furman, SCSU does not stand a chance against the Bison. Our O-line has dominated people all year with their size, strength and athleticism. Speed is great but when you're getting 'pancaked' continually it takes a toll in the 2nd half.

I guess we'll find out.
Funny how people always talk about the "southern speed" or "the crazy speed" that they are going to bring in against us. Really now how many teams have been making the claim that there speed is going to be to much for us, only to watch the Bison stick it down their throats. It seems like the teams we play always make a claim to be either physical or have speed that we won't be able to handle, but they never a combination of both like the Bison have. NDSU has a bunch of big nasty players and decent overall speed. We don't have to be as fast as some teams to play smart football.

TennBison
November 28th, 2013, 07:20 AM

I guess we'll find out.
Just ask Kansas St about that, did you see their defensive players huffing and puffing in the 4th quarter. Those KSU fans talked so much about how their depth was going to wear us out, yeah right.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Just ask Kansas St about that, did you see their defensive players huffing and puffing in the 4th quarter. Those KSU fans talked so much about how their depth was going to wear us out, yeah right.

Ya, I agree.

I wasn't trying to turn this into a smack contest but these teams would probably match-up well against the spread-type offenses out there. It seems like that is what most schools run now...a version of the spread. That is what makes NDSU unique, the 'power west-coast' offense, not many teams run it or even see it during the season.

Maybe I'm wrong Furman/SCSU comes into the FD and the Bison cannot adjust to their speed.....xchinscratchxxchinscratchxxchinscratchx

Nice guy response: It will be a competitive game whomever the Bison play with the final outcome not decided until the 4th quarter.

Bison fan (me) response: The Bison are going to crush whichever team makes it to the FD. Both lines are too good for any team in the FCS right now. Bison put the foot on the gas pedal and do not let up.

TennBison
November 28th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Ya, I agree.

I wasn't trying to turn this into a smack contest but these teams would probably match-up well against the spread-type offenses out there. It seems like that is what most schools run now...a version of the spread. That is what makes NDSU unique, the 'power west-coast' offense, not many teams run it or even see it during the season.

Maybe I'm wrong Furman/SCSU comes into the FD and the Bison cannot adjust to their speed.....xchinscratchxxchinscratchxxchinscratchx

Nice guy response: It will be a competitive game whomever the Bison play with the final outcome not decided until the 4th quarter.

Bison fan (me) response: The Bison are going to crush whichever team makes it to the FD. Both lines are too good for any team in the FCS right now. Bison put the foot on the gas pedal and do not let up.
Neither was I, I am just saying that the cliches out there are a lot of bull. Speed does not win over power just because it is speed, nor does power win over speed just because it is power. A team has to combine both and be football smart to overcome, and right now NDSU is about the best example of a team that has been able to do it. Other teams have done it, other teams will do it, we are not gods because we do it now.

LarryBoy
November 28th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but here's a good look at Furman's win over Wofford last Saturday. You'll have to ignore our color commentary guy. He, uh... he gets excited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K8v_1uPGTg

Sir William
November 28th, 2013, 09:11 AM
The Bison have two championships under their belt and are the #1 seed aiming for a third...I don't think anyone in Fargoland needs to concern themselves with any talk about so-called "southern speed", or any other geographical nuance.

That said, I can't and won't speak for the good folks down in Orangeburg SC, but I can tell you that Furman is not a team which has built itself this year on speed or even overwhelming size. If you want to characterize us in a word or two, I would say "grit" and "perseverence". A "never give up" attitude. That pretty much sums up this team.

Furman has a proud football tradition and history. We've been down for a few years, but we believe we have finally turned the corner and are on our way back to where we once were. It is a joy and pleasure to be back in the playoffs, and we don't take it for granted. IF we are fortunate enough to go down to SC State and play well enough to walk out of there with a victory, it will be an honor to play the Bison in their dome. We would come there with lots of respect for the Bison, but also with no fear of the Bison. Otherwise, why show up at all?

But first things first - we've got to play a very good Bulldog team, and winning at Dawson Stadium will be no easy task, I can promise you that! Nonetheless...Furman 26, SC State 21.

Southern Bison
November 28th, 2013, 09:38 AM
If any Furman/SC State AGS posters will be at the game on Saturday, keep an eye out for green & yellow or shoot me a PM on here. I should arrive about 11 am in Orangeburg. It'd be great to meet up with y'alll.

ejjones
November 28th, 2013, 11:21 AM

I guess we'll find out.
My comment was not directed at NDSU. We have one game on our schedule and Furman has our full attention. Our DEs are typically undersized, 230-250#, but we're solid in the middle with some 6' 300# dudes.

OCD should be a good host on Sat.

PaladinFan
November 28th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Funny how people always talk about the "southern speed" or "the crazy speed" that they are going to bring in against us. Really now how many teams have been making the claim that there speed is going to be to much for us, only to watch the Bison stick it down their throats. It seems like the teams we play always make a claim to be either physical or have speed that we won't be able to handle, but they never a combination of both like the Bison have. NDSU has a bunch of big nasty players and decent overall speed. We don't have to be as fast as some teams to play smart football.

Georgia Southern fans are proud of their athletes. They got beat four times in the conference this year by teams with significantly fewer athletes. Most other programs are quite aware of their limitations.

There are some fast players in the south. Watch an SEC team play a Big 10 team in a bowl game. The speed differential is noticeable (I remember well Florida's DTs running down OSU's quarterback in the national title game a few years back). Not every team in the south has elite speed. The elite speed goes to elite programs.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2013, 12:39 AM
this thread kind of sucks, not gonna lie....

to me, Furman is a wild card. I didn't get to watch the wofford vs Furman game but I can say with confidence that what wofford did and didn't do against Furman was a common trope of the last month of the season (stuffing the run, not having a pass defense, playing only a half of a game offensively).

The thing with Furman is that they're really efficient at what they do but that doesn't necessarily translate to a lot of points all of the time (it's similar to NDSU honestly).

So in that capacity they're fun to watch because every game is going to be competitive as they have the capability of scoring points, but they won't hang half-a-hundred on you. With that said, you can't deny they haven't gotten better over the last month or so of the season.

I said this thread sucks because SC state is still a very good team that has the capability of beating Furman and whenever threads like this pop up it kind of makes me roll my eyes.

LarryBoy
November 29th, 2013, 09:08 AM
this thread kind of sucks, not gonna lie....

to me, Furman is a wild card. I didn't get to watch the wofford vs Furman game but I can say with confidence that what wofford did and didn't do against Furman was a common trope of the last month of the season (stuffing the run, not having a pass defense, playing only a half of a game offensively).

The thing with Furman is that they're really efficient at what they do but that doesn't necessarily translate to a lot of points all of the time (it's similar to NDSU honestly).

So in that capacity they're fun to watch because every game is going to be competitive as they have the capability of scoring points, but they won't hang half-a-hundred on you. With that said, you can't deny they haven't gotten better over the last month or so of the season.

I said this thread sucks because SC state is still a very good team that has the capability of beating Furman and whenever threads like this pop up it kind of makes me roll my eyes.

Agreed. I think everyone in purple is expecting a tossup tomorrow against SC State, and we'll consider ourselves fortunate to escape with a win. We're just flattered that mighty NDSU is even interested...:)

Green1
November 29th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Agreed. I think everyone in purple is expecting a tossup tomorrow against SC State, and we'll consider ourselves fortunate to escape with a win. We're just flattered that mighty NDSU is even interested...:)

I sense some "sandbagging" from the fans to the southeast of us... xlolx

Good luck to both Furman and SC State in their game tomorrow! I look forward to hosting the winner in Fargo.

Congratulations to both team on their successful seasons!

Apphole
November 29th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Georgia Southern fans are proud of their athletes. They got beat four times in the conference this year by teams with significantly fewer athletes. Most other programs are quite aware of their limitations.

There are some fast players in the south. Watch an SEC team play a Big 10 team in a bowl game. The speed differential is noticeable (I remember well Florida's DTs running down OSU's quarterback in the national title game a few years back). Not every team in the south has elite speed. The elite speed goes to elite programs.

GaSo and App usually have better athletes on the field, but I don't see how you can say they had more this year when GaSo was decimated by red shirts and injuries. They went to Florida with ~50 players. In 2013, Georgia Southern had less depth than the average SoCon team and it showed.

TennBison
November 29th, 2013, 04:47 PM
GaSo and App usually have better athletes on the field, but I don't see how you can say they had more this year when GaSo was decimated by red shirts and injuries. They went to Florida with ~50 players. In 2013, Georgia Southern had less depth than the average SoCon team and it showed.
So would you say that Florida is worse than the average SoCon team? Because GSU was blaming most of their losses due to the fact that they were so decimated by injuries and having to play redshirts, but then they were beating their chests when they beat Florida. You can't do both. So was GSU bad to begin with even without the injuries, or was Florida horrible by their own/FBS standards thus making the GSU win nothing more than an average SoCon/FCS win.

Eaglesrus
November 29th, 2013, 05:06 PM
So would you say that Florida is worse than the average SoCon team? Because GSU was blaming most of their losses due to the fact that they were so decimated by injuries and having to play redshirts, but then they were beating their chests when they beat Florida. You can't do both. So was GSU bad to begin with even without the injuries, or was Florida horrible by their own/FBS standards thus making the GSU win nothing more than an average SoCon/FCS win.

To hear some of the FL folks tell it they had more of an injury problem than we did. Personally I don't believe it, and they're supposed to have a lot more talent and depth than we do anyway, but that's all we've heard before and since the game. All I know is that for whatever reason(s), the team that we put on the field Saturday was better than the one they did.

TennBison
November 29th, 2013, 05:50 PM
To hear some of the FL folks tell it they had more of an injury problem than we did. Personally I don't believe it, and they're supposed to have a lot more talent and depth than we do anyway, but that's all we've heard before and since the game. All I know is that for whatever reason(s), the team that we put on the field Saturday was better than the one they did.
No doubt, congrats on the win either way, nice feather to have in your cap at this point, nice ending to a down year. Maybe in a few years when you are playing those kind of teams more often and scholarships are up it will be expected and less surprising.

OL FU
November 30th, 2013, 04:43 AM
Thanks to the last couple of posters for adding some reality. No offense to the Bison that started it. I realize you aren't playing this weekend. But really, while I think we will win, this weeks game is not close to a certainty. Last I checked FU will be underdogs in every game we play in the playoffs

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2013, 08:24 AM

Kinda strange beating a team and then hearing about how you wouldn't have beat them but for their injuries, isn't it?

- - - Updated - - -

I sense some "sandbagging" from the fans to the southeast of us... xlolx

Good luck to both Furman and SC State in their game tomorrow! I look forward to hosting the winner in Fargo.

Congratulations to both team on their successful seasons!

We'll be lucky to get out of Orangeburg with a win. The Bulldogs are a tough team.