PDA

View Full Version : Buchanan Award List Updated

smallcollegefbfan
October 11th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Here is the link:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/buchanan_2006/index.htm

Nothing surprising here except for the UMASS SS getting on. I really thought he would be left off cause of his lack of tackles. Of course, with the way ISU, ASU, Cal Poly, and Hampton are playing, one of those kids will probably win it.

McNeeserocket
October 11th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Here is the link:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/buchanan_2006/index.htm

Nothing surprising here except for the UMASS SS getting on. I really thought he would be left off cause of his lack of tackles. Of course, with the way ISU, ASU, Cal Poly, and Hampton are playing, one of those kids will probably win it.

I am happy to see Bryan Smith of McNeese was added to the Buchanan list. He is a Defensive End who is undersized but his speed and motor make him a really good DE.

slostang
October 11th, 2006, 04:19 PM
I am happy to see Bryan Smith of McNeese was added to the Buchanan list. He is a Defensive End who is undersized but his speed and motor make him a really good DE.
He is one of only two DE on the list and he is only a Jr so he has another year after this one. He really looks like a disruptive force for the Cowboys.

A DE to keep an eye on is Ryan Shotwell. He is the younger brother of Cal Poly LB Kyle Shotwell who is on the Buchanan watch list. He is starting this year as a Redshirt Freshman and he is getting better with each game. I admit that I have a Cal Poly bias and I am not saying he belongs on the list just yet, but over the next 3 1/2 years I think he has a good chance to get there.

Here are his stats and how they compare to the two DE on the list, Bryan Smith and Marques Murrell.

Ryan Shotwell:
31 TT, 7 TFL, 5.0 sacks, 10 QBH, 1 FF and 1 FR.

Marques Murrell:
37 TT, 9 TFL, 6 sacks, 6 QBH and 2 PBU.

Bryan Smith:
36 TT, 11.5 TFL, 6.5 sacks, 2 FF, 3 FR, 6 QBH and 1 PBU.

The good news is Kyle and Ryan have two younger brothers. It would be great to see them wearing the green and gold.

CSUBUCDAD
October 11th, 2006, 05:40 PM
CSU's LB Jada Ross has 59 tackles with 28 unassisted and is not on the list?? Not sure anyone is paying much attention to this kid but they need to. And he is only a RS Jr.

Maybe because the award is for seniors only??? anyone clarify that for me??

th0m
October 11th, 2006, 05:45 PM
The list is not for seniors only. JMU's Tony LeZotte is a Junior FS, as is McNeese's Bryan Smith.

As far as the selection process, seeing as some players have considerably less tackles, it probably has to do with who the tackles are against? (meaning, strength of schedule)

slostang
October 12th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Anyone else that was left off the list that should have been included? The thread on the Payton list is already up to 3 pages. Don't forget, defense wins championships.

GannonFan
October 12th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I never liked how they go about awarding the Buchanan. You can rely on stats a lot more accurately on the Payton list since stats on offense do mean something, but on defense the same relying on stats means guys get overlooked. Look at Shannon James from UMass last year - no doubt he was one of the top d-backs in the country and easily one of the best defenders in the country, but he ended up really far down the list when the votes were tabulated. Why? One reason was the dropoff in INT's from his junior to senior year. Of course, a lot of this had to do with teams going away from him more but that doesn't get reflected in the stats. There's a reason why in 11 years of Buchanan award a d-back (a free safety at that) has only won the award once - you can't pad the stats at that position if you're that good - the plays just won't come your way.

ngineer
October 12th, 2006, 12:26 PM
I never liked how they go about awarding the Buchanan. You can rely on stats a lot more accurately on the Payton list since stats on offense do mean something, but on defense the same relying on stats means guys get overlooked. Look at Shannon James from UMass last year - no doubt he was one of the top d-backs in the country and easily one of the best defenders in the country, but he ended up really far down the list when the votes were tabulated. Why? One reason was the dropoff in INT's from his junior to senior year. Of course, a lot of this had to do with teams going away from him more but that doesn't get reflected in the stats. There's a reason why in 11 years of Buchanan award a d-back (a free safety at that) has only won the award once - you can't pad the stats at that position if you're that good - the plays just won't come your way.

Absolutely. Lehigh's strong safety last year Koloma Cardwell was super and was coming off an excellent junior year. He was two-time captain. His senior year opponents avoided his area like the plague. This year, his replacement, Ernie Moore is having a great season with 4 ints already, and a big-time hitter. I would hope he'd get some mention.

Mountaineer#96
October 12th, 2006, 12:26 PM
I think Murrell deserves the award, its all about game changing type performances. His whole rep is that. He takes on double teams weekly and still has great #'s. The double teams will slowly drop, b/c Tharrington is bringing some heat from the other end. Then #44's (Murrell) stats will go even higher. Anyone who watched Murrell blow into the UNI backfield all game in last years NC game knows this. Not only did he do that but he made the play which made the game, the FF on the QB.

I bet he makes Woffords right tackle look stupid this week. His first step off of the ball is faster than the ball is snapped. :bow: This is what our defense is built on, strength in the middle and blazing speed from the outside.

slostang
October 12th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Absolutely. Lehigh's strong safety last year Koloma Cardwell was super and was coming off an excellent junior year. He was two-time captain. His senior year opponents avoided his area like the plague. This year, his replacement, Ernie Moore is having a great season with 4 ints already, and a big-time hitter. I would hope he'd get some mention.
I agree with both of you. Cal Poly's CB Courtney Brown had 7 Ints in 2005 and only one so far this season. To the average fan looking at his stats would think he is having a down year. Talk to the coaches and he is having a far better year. Not many balls coming his way this season. Same with Kenny Chicoine. He had 7 ints in 2004 and 5 in 2005 and he only has 2 this season.

Walkon79
October 12th, 2006, 02:38 PM
MSU DT David Siataga. Playing lights out
MSU DB Ryan Force
UM DL Mike Murphy

KiddBrewer
October 12th, 2006, 03:24 PM
my guess:twocents: could possibly be somebody other than Murrell from ASU.....im thinkin somebody on the strong side of the secondary...

redbirdtim
October 13th, 2006, 09:32 PM
They usually give it to a D-Lineman with the most sacks or a lot of sacks. Interesting how Boomer Grigsby never won it...

CatFan22
October 14th, 2006, 12:27 PM
MSU LB Bobby Daly:

54 TT
5 TFL
2 Sacks
1 INT
3 PBU

biobengal
October 14th, 2006, 12:51 PM
They usually give it to a D-Lineman with the most sacks or a lot of sacks. Interesting how Boomer Grigsby never won it...

Grigsby's performance in the balloting prevents clear proof that stats are not everything. :smiley_wi