PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Big South Award Winners Announced

smallcollegefbfan
November 26th, 2013, 12:26 PM
www.bigsouthsports.com (http://www.bigsouthsports.com)

2013 BIG SOUTH FOOTBALL ALL-CONFERENCE TEAMS AND ANNUAL AWARD WINNERS

FIRST-TEAM ALL-CONFERENCE
OFFENSE
QB Alex Ross, R-Soph., Coastal Carolina
RB Lorenzo Taliaferro, Sr., Coastal Carolina
RB Christian Reyes, Jr., Charleston Southern
WR Kenny Cook, R-Jr., Gardner-Webb
WR Matt Hazel, Sr., Coastal Carolina
WR Darrin Peterson, Soph., Liberty
TE Brandon Apon, R-Sr., Liberty
OL Jamey Cheatwood, R-Sr., Coastal Carolina
OL Hunter Steward, Sr., Liberty
OL Chad Hamilton, R-Jr., Coastal Carolina
OL Drew Herring, R-Sr., Coastal Carolina
OL Clayton Truitt, Jr., Charleston Southern

DEFENSE
DL Shaquille Riddick, Jr., Gardner-Webb
DL Preston Pemasa, Sr., Gardner-Webb
DL Chima Uzowihe, Soph., Liberty
DL O.J. Le’iatua Mau, Soph., Gardner-Webb
LB Quinn Backus, Jr., Coastal Carolina
LB Tanner Burch, Jr., Gardner-Webb
LB Nick Sigmon, R-Jr., Liberty
LB Calvin Bryant, Jr., Charleston Southern
DB Jacob Hagen, R-Jr., Liberty
DB Walt Aikens, R-Sr., Liberty
DB Kevin Fogg, R-Sr., Liberty
DB Keon Williams, Sr., Gardner-Webb

SPECIAL TEAMS
PK Alex Catron, Jr., Coastal Carolina
P Jordan Day, R-Sr., Gardner-Webb
LS Richard Wright, R-Sr., Liberty
KR Devin Brown, Fr., Coastal Carolina
PR Jeremiah McKie, Jr., Presbyterian College

SECOND-TEAM ALL-CONFERENCE
OFFENSE
QB Josh Woodrum, R-Soph., Liberty
RB Desmond Rice, Jr., Liberty
RB Juanne Blount, R-Jr., Gardner-Webb
WR Tobi Antigha, Jr., Presbyterian College
WR Sam Patterson, Soph., VMI
WR DeMario Bennett, Sr., Coastal Carolina
TE Mike Estes, R-Fr., Gardner-Webb
OL Jonathan Burgess, Soph., Liberty
OL Mitch Hanson, R-Jr., Liberty
OL Will Lucas, Sr., VMI
OL Greg Ray, R-Jr., Liberty
OL Tim Fowler, R-Sr., Presbyterian College

DEFENSE
DL Cory Freeman, R-Sr., Liberty
DL James Smith, Jr., Charleston Southern
DL Dylan Black, Jr., Charleston Southern
DL Calvin Hollenhorst, R-Soph., Coastal Carolina
LB Mike McClure, Sr., Coastal Carolina
LB Chad Geter, Soph., Gardner-Webb
LB Weston Reber, R-Sr., VMI
LB Scott Hyland, Sr., Liberty
DB Elijah Lee, Sr., Charleston Southern
DB Demaris Freeman, R-Jr., Charleston Southern
DB Richie Sampson, Soph., Coastal Carolina
DB Denzel Rice, Jr., Coastal Carolina

SPECIAL TEAMS
PK Jordan Day, R-Sr., Gardner-Webb
P David Eberhardt, R-Sr., VMI
LS Hudson Smith, R-Sr., Gardner-Webb
KR Jeremiah McKie, Jr., Presbyterian College
PR Niccolo Mastromatteo, Sr., Coastal Carolina

ALL-ACADEMIC TEAM
Kirby Broome, Sr., TE, Charleston Southern
Niccolo Mastromatteo, Sr., WR, Coastal Carolina
Lucas Beatty, R-Jr., QB, Gardner-Webb
Scott Hyland, Sr., LB, Liberty
Stephen Doar, R-Soph., P, Presbyterian College
Ty Garvin, R-Jr., LB, VMI

OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Lorenzo Taliaferro, Sr., RB, Coastal Carolina

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Quinn Backus, Jr., LB, Coastal Carolina

SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE YEAR
LaDarius Hawthorne, Sr., DB, Coastal Carolina

FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR
Daniel Croghan III, R-Fr., QB, Charleston Southern

COACH OF THE YEAR
Jamey Chadwell, Charleston Southern

SCHOLAR-ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
Scott Hyland, Sr., LB, Liberty

knucklehead
November 26th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Overall a very nice list. I did think 1st team QB could easily go to either Ross or Woodrum, but I can't complain. I also think Jacob Hagan from LU had a real claim the the DPOTW. I think Quinn won by name and since Coastal got the auto-bid. I think Jacob will have a monster senior campaign after an amazing on this year.

New Bucs Fan
November 26th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Congratulations to the Charleston Southern players and Coach Chadwell.

New Bucs Fan
November 26th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Overall a very nice list. I did think 1st team QB could easily go to either Ross or Woodrum, but I can't complain. I also think Jacob Hagan from LU had a real claim the the DPOTW. I think Quinn won by name and since Coastal got the auto-bid. I think Jacob will have a monster senior campaign after an amazing on this year.

Would be nice to see what stats they used. I didn't think he was the best I saw. LB and DE from GW were pretty legit too.

smallcollegefbfan
November 26th, 2013, 01:12 PM

Riddick from GW should have been the DEF POY and that's not even close. I think Backus won by rep.

CSU DE Will Hunt should have been 2nd team. Before his injury he was playing well and is good enough to get a shot at the next level. He's a snub but I would imagine only because he has just played 7 games.

IaaScribe
November 26th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Hunt wasn't even on the ballot. I would have voted for him.

The one time I saw Riddick play I was completely unimpressed. Probably just an off day, though.

rokamortis
November 26th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Riddick from GW should have been the DEF POY and that's not even close. I think Backus won by rep.

CSU DE Will Hunt should have been 2nd team. Before his injury he was playing well and is good enough to get a shot at the next level. He's a snub but I would imagine only because he has just played 7 games.

Can you (and anyone else) detail why you think Backus isn't deserving? Please provide stat comparisons.

Backus leads the league with solo and total tackles. He is also the top linebacker with passing defense (break-ups and interceptions).

smallcollegefbfan
November 26th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Hunt wasn't even on the ballot. I would have voted for him.

The one time I saw Riddick play I was completely unimpressed. Probably just an off day, though.

Riddick got better late in the year. Riddick had a couple plays against Dozier early in the year and got better as the season went on. Remember that Riddick hasn't played football as long as most and was a 190 pound DL when he came to GW. The sky is the limit for him. He's also on the Hendricks List.

Hunt and an OL from VMI were not on the ballot who I thought should have at least been there.

smallcollegefbfan
November 26th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Can you (and anyone else) detail why you think Backus isn't deserving? Please provide stat comparisons.

Backus leads the league with solo and total tackles. He is also the top linebacker with passing defense (break-ups and interceptions).

It's not all about stats but look at the stats of Shaquille Riddick. He had a crazy year in terms of TFL, sacks, QBH, etc. Backus is a real good player but I believe he should have been 2nd for it. Look at all the tackles Backus has. He had just 7 TFLs. That's not very many for the ILB and leading tackler. He was completely lost on the field against South Carolina. He had just 3 tackles against the Gamecocks and while he is a good player who I think should be an All-American I don't think he was the best defensive player in the Big South this year.

Riddick was much more disruptive in the backfields this year than Backus as most of his tackles were down field. I'm just saying that Riddick was a bigger problem for QBs than Backus was. Both are very deserving of postseason awards though. Don't take this as me saying Backus isn't good. He's very good. I just have Riddick higher on my list and I think if he played for CCU and did what he did that he would have been nominated over Backus.

LB Quinn Backus, Coastal Carolina, Jr.
111 TKL, 7 TFL, 1 SACK, 3 INT, returned 1 for a TD, 6 PBU in 12 games.

DE Shaquille Riddick, Gardner-Webb, Jr.
67 TKL, 19 TFL, 8.5 SACKS, 2 PBU, 17 QBH, 1 FF in 11 games.

Riddick is also the only FCS player on those FBS award watch lists.

rokamortis
November 26th, 2013, 02:02 PM
It's not all about stats but look at the stats of Shaquille Riddick. He had a crazy year in terms of TFL, sacks, QBH, etc. Backus is a real good player but I believe he should have been 2nd for it. Look at all the tackles Backus has. He had just 7 TFLs. That's not very many for the ILB and leading tackler. He was completely lost on the field against South Carolina. He had just 3 tackles against the Gamecocks and while he is a good player who I think should be an All-American I don't think he was the best defensive player in the Big South this year.

Riddick was much more disruptive in the backfields this year than Backus as most of his tackles were down field. I'm just saying that Riddick was a bigger problem for QBs than Backus was. Both are very deserving of postseason awards though. Don't take this as me saying Backus isn't good. He's very good. I just have Riddick higher on my list and I think if he played for CCU and did what he did that he would have been nominated over Backus.

LB Quinn Backus, Coastal Carolina, Jr.
111 TKL, 7 TFL, 1 SACK, 3 INT, returned 1 for a TD, 6 PBU in 12 games.

DE Shaquille Riddick, Gardner-Webb, Jr.
67 TKL, 19 TFL, 8.5 SACKS, 2 PBU, 17 QBH, 1 FF in 11 games.

Riddick is also the only FCS player on those FBS award watch lists.

Of course a DE should be more of an issue for a QB - he is supposed to get to the QB on pass plays. Backus was a problem for QBs too, just in a different way - look at the INTs, PBUs. Hell, he even scored a TD. He was the leading LB and not too far below DBs on those stats. He wasn't in the backfield, he was all over the field.

smallcollegefbfan
November 26th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Of course a DE should be more of an issue for a QB - he is supposed to get to the QB on pass plays. Backus was a problem for QBs too, just in a different way - look at the INTs, PBUs. Hell, he even scored a TD. He was the leading LB and not too far below DBs on those stats. He wasn't in the backfield, he was all over the field.

He was everywhere except the backfield. Yes he had some plays in the pass game and that's why I say he is an All-American for sure and one of the best in the league. I'm just telling you I saw both of them play and Riddick is a better player. He played better against FBS competition than Backus and while Backus had 3 INTs and 6 PBUs he just wasn't quite as good as Riddick. I don't think you will hear anyone from someone away from CCU disagree with me on that. Again, I'm not saying Backus is no good. I'm just saying I would have put him 2nd behind Riddick. Seems the folks picking FBS awards agree with me as well and I know the NFL teams and media will agree. It will be interesting to see if the AFCA picks Riddick and/or Backus on their AA team.

rokamortis
November 26th, 2013, 02:47 PM
He was everywhere except the backfield. Yes he had some plays in the pass game and that's why I say he is an All-American for sure and one of the best in the league. I'm just telling you I saw both of them play and Riddick is a better player. He played better against FBS competition than Backus and while Backus had 3 INTs and 6 PBUs he just wasn't quite as good as Riddick. I don't think you will hear anyone from someone away from CCU disagree with me on that. Again, I'm not saying Backus is no good. I'm just saying I would have put him 2nd behind Riddick. Seems the folks picking FBS awards agree with me as well and I know the NFL teams and media will agree. It will be interesting to see if the AFCA picks Riddick and/or Backus on their AA team.

Wait, are you comparing ODU or Kent State with top 20 BCS / SEC South Carolina? Simply laughable.

I'm sure Riddick dominated against the 2 DII schools on their schedule. Backus played against a complete DI schedule.

So everyone outside of Coastal thinks Riddick is better? Then why wasn't he voted Big South DPotY?

I don't think Backus is a great NFL prospect - but that has nothing to do with his performance as an FCS player / linebacker. You are confusing things.

smallcollegefbfan
November 26th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Wait, are you comparing ODU or Kent State with top 20 BCS / SEC South Carolina? Simply laughable.

I'm sure Riddick dominated against the 2 DII schools on their schedule. Backus played against a complete DI schedule.

So everyone outside of Coastal thinks Riddick is better? Then why wasn't he voted Big South DPotY?

I'm talking about media and NFL people agreeing with me. Backus was voted DEF POY because his team won the league and he was the preseason pick. I have talked to some people in the know. They said this pick was a little political and that if GW had won the league there is no doubt Riddick would have gotten it.

As to level of competition, you do realize South Carolina played a lot of backups as starters and rested Connor Shaw and most of the ones who did start very early in the game? When their 2nd and 3rd string were in Backus was still very lost in the shuffle. Quarles, Clowney, Mike Davis, and many others sat out. You didn't face half of South Carolina's All-SEC picks this year because they were resting for Clemson.

I'm not hating on Backus and you are taking it very seriously but the bottom line is that I'm telling you that Riddick was the better player, he made more plays, people outside of FCS have even noticed it, and Riddick clearly lost out because his team did not win and Backus had the name entering the year. Backus is a very good player. It's not like I'm putting him down. My whole point to you is that if Riddick was on your team he would have gotten the nod over Backus.

Did you see how the voting breakdown went? It was razor close. Had Riddick been on your team he would have won the award.

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR VOTING BREAKDOWN
Pos Name School 1st place votes total points
LB Quinn Backus Coastal Carolina 8 22
DE Shaquille Riddick Gardner-Webb 6 19
DB Jacob Hagen Liberty 2 7

It's not like where Taliaferro ran away with it. The defensive voting was very close.

rokamortis
November 26th, 2013, 03:10 PM
The votong was close, that's fine. I'm just saying that Backus had a hell of a resume and deserved it. I can see Riddick had a great resume too. It is hard to compare different positions - where you obviously feel that being in the backfield is more important where Backus was effective from the LOS back.

Hell, South Carolina's 2nd and 3rd stringers are still amazing - way better than Marshall. Our whole team was lost - can't really just pick one player out.

"Backus, who scored two defensive touchdowns this season, is the only player in the Big South ranked among the top 10 in tackles, TFLs and passes defended. In League games, Backus was tops with 49 total tackles, 9.8 per game and 30 solo stops. He also tied for the second-most TFL with 5.0."

smallcollegefbfan
November 26th, 2013, 03:21 PM
The votong was close, that's fine. I'm just saying that Backus had a hell of a resume and deserved it. I can see Riddick had a great resume too. It is hard to compare different positions - where you obviously feel that being in the backfield is more important where Backus was effective from the LOS back.

Hell, South Carolina's 2nd and 3rd stringers are still amazing - way better than Marshall. Our whole team was lost - can't really just pick one player out.

"Backus, who scored two defensive touchdowns this season, is the only player in the Big South ranked among the top 10 in tackles, TFLs and passes defended. In League games, Backus was tops with 49 total tackles, 9.8 per game and 30 solo stops. He also tied for the second-most TFL with 5.0."

And I'm saying that I think he got the award mostly because of rep, his team won, and he led the league in tackles. Riddick had almost 3 times the TFLs as Backus and went from a guy who wasn't even picked first-team All-League by the Big South to being first-team and likely being a first-team All-American as well. Riddick was an unknown. Look how long it took him to make the Buchanan list? He was a guy I was pushing back in September. Just takes a lot of people some time to give a new name the notice they deserve.

Backus was very good and better against the pass than the run for sure but still had a great year. On your South Carolina comment, probably true. Just saying that CCU didn't get even a B effort from South Carolina and mostly got their B and C squad players with their top 3 players not even playing in the game. I was hoping Backus would have stood out more and done a little better than he did but like you said very few did. The only players who I thought showed they could physically play in the SEC was Denzel Rice, Taliaferro, and Matt Hazel. Everyone else was a level below where they were playing and the score showed it.

jmrepak
November 26th, 2013, 03:59 PM
And I'm saying that I think he got the award mostly because of rep, his team won, and he led the league in tackles. Riddick had almost 3 times the TFLs as Backus and went from a guy who wasn't even picked first-team All-League by the Big South to being first-team and likely being a first-team All-American as well. Riddick was an unknown. Look how long it took him to make the Buchanan list? He was a guy I was pushing back in September. Just takes a lot of people some time to give a new name the notice they deserve.

Backus was very good and better against the pass than the run for sure but still had a great year. On your South Carolina comment, probably true. Just saying that CCU didn't get even a B effort from South Carolina and mostly got their B and C squad players with their top 3 players not even playing in the game. I was hoping Backus would have stood out more and done a little better than he did but like you said very few did. The only players who I thought showed they could physically play in the SEC was Denzel Rice, Taliaferro, and Matt Hazel. Everyone else was a level below where they were playing and the score showed it.
You're not in Left Field with your analysis, your out of the ballpark in foul territory. 1st- Don't even continue to try your FBS comparisons. Coastal was pulling and resting most of our starters in the second half of that game as well to prep for the playoffs. 2nd - Riddick may have been tearing up the back field but Quinn was all over the place and killing it all year. As is shown by his TT's and his Passing Defense stats 3rd - Quinn won DpotW 25% of the weeks he played in and Riddick won the award once.

In summation, there was never a shot. Riddick got some looks like he deserved, but Quinn was far and away the defensive player with the most impact in the Big South this year. I guess we'll just have to see what next year brings, but I also want to add that I think Richie Sampson is going to have a big year in 2014 as well.

smallcollegefbfan
November 26th, 2013, 05:36 PM
You're not in Left Field with your analysis, your out of the ballpark in foul territory. 1st- Don't even continue to try your FBS comparisons. Coastal was pulling and resting most of our starters in the second half of that game as well to prep for the playoffs. 2nd - Riddick may have been tearing up the back field but Quinn was all over the place and killing it all year. As is shown by his TT's and his Passing Defense stats 3rd - Quinn won DpotW 25% of the weeks he played in and Riddick won the award once.

In summation, there was never a shot. Riddick got some looks like he deserved, but Quinn was far and away the defensive player with the most impact in the Big South this year. I guess we'll just have to see what next year brings, but I also want to add that I think Richie Sampson is going to have a big year in 2014 as well.

First of all I can tell you what kind of player both are without stats. If there were no official stats taken I think you guys would have no point. Backus is a good player but not as good as Riddick. You say there was no shot? Riddick was two first place votes short of Backus and he played on a team that was nowhere near as good. He also didn't have the name reputation of Backus and the voting was still very very close! Riddick is the bigger impact play and more physically dominant and imposing player. He's just as fast as Backus and much bigger. Both are very active. Backus has a very good nose for the ball and has been in the right place at the right times. He just isn't a guy who can physically and athletically stand out like Riddick can. I'm glad for Backus and like I said with his tackles, his helmet, and his name rep he got the award but he barely won it and people need to know that Riddick is a very worthy player who will prove to be even better as we go on. Backus has been active the last two years so let's see in 2014 when coaches scheme against him a little or make sure to definitely block him if he still has the same impact. Nobody in the Big South can physically shut down Riddick every week. That's all I'm saying, besides the fact the voting was close.

I don't see how I'm in left field at all when all I am telling you is that Riddick is a better football player playing on a worse team who just barely lost the award by just two first place votes? That's all factually correct. Backus is a great player and will be an All-American and I would rank him among the top 5-8 LBs in FCS but I would not value him ahead of Riddick if I were picking a team of the most physically gifted, dominant, and athletically gifted players. He's very good and deserves awards but obviously it was a close race because the voting was very close (only two first place votes is pretty close).

jmrepak
November 26th, 2013, 06:11 PM
First of all I can tell you what kind of player both are without stats. If there were no official stats taken I think you guys would have no point. Backus is a good player but not as good as Riddick. You say there was no shot? Riddick was two first place votes short of Backus and he played on a team that was nowhere near as good. He also didn't have the name reputation of Backus and the voting was still very very close! Riddick is the bigger impact play and more physically dominant and imposing player. He's just as fast as Backus and much bigger. Both are very active. Backus has a very good nose for the ball and has been in the right place at the right times. He just isn't a guy who can physically and athletically stand out like Riddick can. I'm glad for Backus and like I said with his tackles, his helmet, and his name rep he got the award but he barely won it and people need to know that Riddick is a very worthy player who will prove to be even better as we go on. Backus has been active the last two years so let's see in 2014 when coaches scheme against him a little or make sure to definitely block him if he still has the same impact. Nobody in the Big South can physically shut down Riddick every week. That's all I'm saying, besides the fact the voting was close.

I don't see how I'm in left field at all when all I am telling you is that Riddick is a better football player playing on a worse team who just barely lost the award by just two first place votes? That's all factually correct. Backus is a great player and will be an All-American and I would rank him among the top 5-8 LBs in FCS but I would not value him ahead of Riddick if I were picking a team of the most physically gifted, dominant, and athletically gifted players. He's very good and deserves awards but obviously it was a close race because the voting was very close (only two first place votes is pretty close).
your in left field because you think Riddick is a better player when the it is clearly Backus. Yes he plays on a better team but if anything Riddick being on a better team probably makes his stats go down as he is competing with better players on his own team for the same defensive plays. Also, we get it. He lost by two first place votes. What you missed was that there are only 16 ballots. If it's 2 in a hundred it's close, but if it's 2 out of 16 then he lost by more than 12%. Also, don't you think that they schemed against Backus already this year? He was the Big South DpotY last year and was the preseason pick. It's not like he snuck in as a no name. Everyone knew what they were getting from the start.

smallcollegefbfan
November 26th, 2013, 06:26 PM
your in left field because you think Riddick is a better player when the it is clearly Backus. Yes he plays on a better team but if anything Riddick being on a better team probably makes his stats go down as he is competing with better players on his own team for the same defensive plays. Also, we get it. He lost by two first place votes. What you missed was that there are only 16 ballots. If it's 2 in a hundred it's close, but if it's 2 out of 16 then he lost by more than 12%. Also, don't you think that they schemed against Backus already this year? He was the Big South DpotY last year and was the preseason pick. It's not like he snuck in as a no name. Everyone knew what they were getting from the start.

Do you realize how political these awards can be? Coaches favor seniors or players on the first place team or a player who had the name ocming in? Just look at the Big Sky voting and how Brad Daly was not unaimous. In D2 CIAA the player who led the league in passes defended, happens to be geting NFL looks because he is a stud, did not even get all-conference. The best player does not always win the award. I'll give you some advice. If you ever see a sophomore offensive linemen, especially from a bad team, on the first-team then you know he is not just good but he is a stud.

Better as in what? Do you think Backus and Riddick both or just one of the two can play in the NFL? By saying what you are saying you think Backus is. I have news for you. Backus is not a NFL player. He can't play in the SEC or the NFL. He's a great FCS player who will win awards here but is limited. He plays very hard. He chases, gives good effort, etc but he is not overly fast (about a 4.8), which is good for this level but he can't play at the highest level with it at his size. He's not even the best chance to make it in the NFL on your team. Denzel Rice, Taliaferro, and Matt Hazel are better players. Hazel can't help that he was hurt some and they decided to run more than throw this year. I know who the better player is because I don't need tackle stats to tell me a guy is legit. by the way, a lot of these stats you are aren't correct. I can give you tons of names who had crazy stats but if you know football you know they weren't legit. Remember that LB Murray State had several years ago who had like 150 tackles?

Sometimes schools give their own players who they want to win awards tackles whenever they are close to the ball, whether they had anything to do with it or not. I'm not saying it happened this year with Backus but it does sometimes.

With all this said, I don't think the Big South is very strong this year. There is some individual talent. The best players in the league (not worrying about stats but just how good they are at playing the game) are Taliaferro, Kenny Cook, Riddick, Aikens, Sigmon, Hagen, Fogg, and Backus. Backus is probably the 4th best player in the league behind Taliaferro, Riddick, and Aikens. All 3 I mentioned ahead of him are either getting drafted or going to the combine.

It's crazy how you make it seem like I'm saying Backus isn't good. He is very good. He's just not better than Riddick except he has a lot of tackles, plays on a better team, and has the numbers. I've seen CCU play against GW, Furman, South Carolina, EKU, and SC State.

If Riddick isn't better than how come the Hendricks list put him on but Backus isn't on the Butkus list? You want a stat and the FBS people are even acknowledging Riddick but not Backus. Backus is a great FCS player but that's the highest level projects to play on right now. Can that change? Possibly. I will never say he can never play in the NFL. I'm just telling you that the two seniors I mentioned are better at their positions and so is Riddick.

With that said, I think all 4 of them should be All-Americans this year.

What do you do for a living? Do you get paid a lot of money by the pros, college, and high school levels to evaluate players? I do and I'm telling you from a professional opinion that I don't care what award Backus won or if you say he is a better player. NFL scouts and everyone who makes decisions agrees with me. It's your opinion and that's fine. Just know that those who make the decisions above FCS agree with me.

jmrepak
November 26th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Do you realize how political these awards can be? Coaches favor seniors or players on the first place team or a player who had the name ocming in? Just look at the Big Sky voting and how Brad Daly was not unaimous. In D2 CIAA the player who led the league in passes defended, happens to be geting NFL looks because he is a stud, did not even get all-conference. The best player does not always win the award. I'll give you some advice. If you ever see a sophomore offensive linemen, especially from a bad team, on the first-team then you know he is not just good but he is a stud.

Better as in what? Do you think Backus and Riddick both or just one of the two can play in the NFL? By saying what you are saying you think Backus is. I have news for you. Backus is not a NFL player. He can't play in the SEC or the NFL. He's a great FCS player who will win awards here but is limited. He plays very hard. He chases, gives good effort, etc but he is not overly fast (about a 4.8), which is good for this level but he can't play at the highest level with it at his size. He's not even the best chance to make it in the NFL on your team. Denzel Rice, Taliaferro, and Matt Hazel are better players. Hazel can't help that he was hurt some and they decided to run more than throw this year. I know who the better player is because I don't need tackle stats to tell me a guy is legit. by the way, a lot of these stats you are aren't correct. I can give you tons of names who had crazy stats but if you know football you know they weren't legit. Remember that LB Murray State had several years ago who had like 150 tackles?

Sometimes schools give their own players who they want to win awards tackles whenever they are close to the ball, whether they had anything to do with it or not. I'm not saying it happened this year with Backus but it does sometimes.

With all this said, I don't think the Big South is very strong this year. There is some individual talent. The best players in the league (not worrying about stats but just how good they are at playing the game) are Taliaferro, Kenny Cook, Riddick, Aikens, Sigmon, Hagen, Fogg, and Backus. Backus is probably the 4th best player in the league behind Taliaferro, Riddick, and Aikens. All 3 I mentioned ahead of him are either getting drafted or going to the combine.

It's crazy how you make it seem like I'm saying Backus isn't good. He is very good. He's just not better than Riddick except he has a lot of tackles, plays on a better team, and has the numbers. I've seen CCU play against GW, Furman, South Carolina, EKU, and SC State.

If Riddick isn't better than how come the Hendricks list put him on but Backus isn't on the Butkus list? You want a stat and the FBS people are even acknowledging Riddick but not Backus. Backus is a great FCS player but that's the highest level projects to play on right now. Can that change? Possibly. I will never say he can never play in the NFL. I'm just telling you that the two seniors I mentioned are better at their positions and so is Riddick.

With that said, I think all 4 of them should be All-Americans this year.

What do you do for a living? Do you get paid a lot of money by the pros, college, and high school levels to evaluate players? I do and I'm telling you from a professional opinion that I don't care what award Backus won or if you say he is a better player. NFL scouts and everyone who makes decisions agrees with me. It's your opinion and that's fine. Just know that those who make the decisions above FCS agree with me.
Ohh, I guess we should all just stop discussion because you do this for a living and no one else could possibly have an alternative view point that is correct. Maybe I'm in the wrong place. This is a forum right. Where we discuss differing opinions.

I know Riddick may be a better prospect for the NFL or FBS, but this isn't either of those. This is FCS football and the award was awarded based on overall performance and Backus performed better. Riddick is a better prospect because he is a good player and has the size to compete at higher levels. 6'7 is huge but 240 is still a little undersized for that height. Backus got the award because he performed better overall this year, in my opinion.

P.S. If you really want to know, I own and operate a multi-million dollar sub-prime auto finance company.

smallcollegefbfan
November 26th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Ohh, I guess we should all just stop discussion because you do this for a living and no one else could possibly have an alternative view point that is correct. Maybe I'm in the wrong place. This is a forum right. Where we discuss differing opinions.

I know Riddick may be a better prospect for the NFL or FBS, but this isn't either of those. This is FCS football and the award was awarded based on overall performance and Backus performed better. Riddick is a better prospect because he is a good player and has the size to compete at higher levels. 6'7 is huge but 240 is still a little undersized for that height. Backus got the award because he performed better overall this year, in my opinion.

P.S. If you really want to know, I own and operate a multi-million dollar sub-prime auto finance company.

I'm not saying because I do what I do that you can't have an opinion but I'm just telling you that leading the Big South in tackles and winning the voting does not mean as much as you are making it seem to be. You have to remember that Backus nor Riddick were unanimous picks. Daly wasn't unanimous in the Big Sky. In the CAA I'm told that West and Robertson were the only unanimous picks in their conference call. I'm sorry but if there is a ballot that didn't have Riddick or Backus on the first-team All-Big South list then I don't see how anyone can say that the voting was dead on. Obviously there are 1 or 2 crazy voters lol.

By the way, there are some people on this board who are educated and known enough about football to have a discussion who don't work in the business. It's just that if a GM or director in the NFL, someone at ESPN who does this everyday, or for bowls is just wrong and sounds stupid then maybe I'm saying you and those who think they are should apply for the jobs and switch your jobs.

With that said, I would never argue with you about the auto finance industry or running a company because I don't know that stuff. I am saying that many fans think they know and most of them aren't really sure what they are watching. You don't hear many people argue about the offensive line because there are no stats so they don't know. Judging OL talent is the true judge of someone who knows football because you don't have stats but simply the play on the field. Roughly about 1% of the people in the stands at any given name really know the game and know what they are watching. There are some but anyone who does nothing but spout off stats is just looking at paper and can't describe exactly why the player is so good beyond the fact he had a pick or a tackle or sack.

knucklehead
November 27th, 2013, 12:31 PM
I kind of ducked and covered for that conversation, but I just have issues with awards that seem to be so heavily weighted by reputation and stats alone. I think some of the stats that are key in voting for the DPOTY tend to always skew it towards a LB or D lineman. It would be tough for a DB to win it. Look at Jacob Hagan's stats based on his position (S) and the impact he made on the Defense as a whole. I'm glad he was third in the voting, but I think his year was HUGE. He has one year left, and I'm looking for even bigger things. LU LB Nick Sigmon will be way up in the running as well.

smallcollegefbfan
November 27th, 2013, 01:07 PM
I kind of ducked and covered for that conversation, but I just have issues with awards that seem to be so heavily weighted by reputation and stats alone. I think some of the stats that are key in voting for the DPOTY tend to always skew it towards a LB or D lineman. It would be tough for a DB to win it. Look at Jacob Hagan's stats based on his position (S) and the impact he made on the Defense as a whole. I'm glad he was third in the voting, but I think his year was HUGE. He has one year left, and I'm looking for even bigger things. LU LB Nick Sigmon will be way up in the running as well.

Just like a few years ago in the GLIAC when a guy at GVSU was named their OL of the Year beating out Hillsdale's Jared Veldheer. The GVSU OL went undrafted and I think is bouncing around with teams, barely latching on. The kid at Hillsdale went to the combine, got drafted in the 3rd round, then has become the best offensive player for the Raiders over the years. Veldheer should have won the award and I said it then. Does it matter at the end of the day? Not really. Just like here where Riddick will prove me right as long as he stays healthy.

rokamortis
November 27th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Just like a few years ago in the GLIAC when a guy at GVSU was named their OL of the Year beating out Hillsdale's Jared Veldheer. The GVSU OL went undrafted and I think is bouncing around with teams, barely latching on. The kid at Hillsdale went to the combine, got drafted in the 3rd round, then has become the best offensive player for the Raiders over the years. Veldheer should have won the award and I said it then. Does it matter at the end of the day? Not really. Just like here where Riddick will prove me right as long as he stays healthy.

Can you stop with the draft / NFL stuff? It has nothing to do with the award or selection.

smallcollegefbfan
November 27th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Can you stop with the draft / NFL stuff? It has nothing to do with the award or selection.

There is a balance. Does every player who gets drafted or gets in the NFL belong on these lists? No. I will be the first to tell you that. For example, Kyle Harbridge is not a NFL prospect. He may get in a camp but he won't make it in the NFL. Just not NFL caliber or type. However, he had a great year and deserves All-America nods. Bottom line is that the best players make it and play in the NFL. How can anyone say that BW Webb and JJ Wilcox aren't better than Kejuan Riley? Riley had all those picks early in his career at Alabama State but is just slow and putting up stats in the SWAC didn't mean much last year. There are good players in that league but just because you have good stats doesn't mean you are a good player. Ask Georgia Southern people how good JJ Wilcox was? Nobody on here would have believed it but then he went 3rd round and is starting in the NFL. I don't care what stats say but those of us who know how to evaluate players loved Wilcox and obviously got it right because of where he is and Riley isn't.

knucklehead
November 27th, 2013, 01:52 PM
I'll just say that I'm happy LU got a record # (16) on the 2 teams. Most of whom are back next year.

CoastalFan2005
November 28th, 2013, 06:05 PM

Why are you so mad about this? Are you Riddick's dad or something?

smallcollegefbfan
November 28th, 2013, 07:29 PM
No I'm not. It's just that when someone calls you an idiot and the only thing about a players skills they mention is the tackles and pass breakup or INT stats it makes me wonder why they say they are the best player. I'm just saying that other professionals agree with me and we all should know how political these votes can be. There was a player drafted last year who made it who should have had 1400 yards receiving but he couldn't help QB play. He wasn't all conference but should have been and the NFL recognizes good players whether or not they have great stats. Look how often the leading passed in FCS doesn't make it at the next level and someone ranked 10th does. Leading in one stat doesn't make someone a great player or better than someone else who isn't. There are lots of factors.