PDA

View Full Version : How do people feel about Southern Utah?

hebmskebm
November 26th, 2013, 10:08 AM
While the board has made its feelings plain about Sam Houston and South Carolina State getting in, there's been a noticeable lack of criticism of Southern Utah, even though their profile is arguably just as questionable. So I was wonder how do you all feel about their inclusion in the tourney?

Sam_Kats
November 26th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Enough of this logic.....................................grab the pitch forks & let's start another poll...........................who's with me????????

kalm
November 26th, 2013, 10:37 AM
They have an FBS win and a decent road win against Montana State. They were competitive in most of their games and had fairly tough schedule with USA, Wazzu, EWU, and NAU on it.

Winindy
November 26th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Warm, but not fuzzy.

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 26th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Good team that could shock some people if they over look them. VERY solid on defense probably one of the top 3 defenses in the these playoffs.

fmrbearkat
November 26th, 2013, 10:59 AM
I am of the opinion with their lack of offense in a conference that lacks much defense doesn't bode to well for them. Our conference bretheren spent a whole lot of time studying our offensive scheme this offseason and seemed to have finally got a game plan together that works against us. Our OC didn't seem to make very good adjustments in those games either. SUU only has 3 practice days and then take to the skys for travel and I don't see them doing much to stop Flanders. He's finally 100% and is going to have a big game IMO. Even as bad as we have looked we are getting alot healthier and we are going to whip the dog piss out of them.

ElCid
November 26th, 2013, 11:02 AM
The computer ratings have them the lowest, besides Butler. Even Furman, Lafayette, and Sacred Heart are above them. That said, I still think they are a good team. This is a case where I think it shows the limitations of the computer. At least they have some D. If they only had some better O (they are in the bottom 3rd in the BSC) they might make some serious trouble out there in the future. Of all the teams that made it, they are the one that made me wonder, at least a little. Their only notable wins were against a weak FBS S. Alabama and a slightly down Montana St. The rest were middling or bad BSC. No bad losses though. That, the FBS win, and a good overall and conf record got them in I think.

I think I might have taken a 8-4 UTC or YSU first, but I am not too upset they got picked.

One thing that I have not heard on any of these arm chair threads, is that every team who made it had better than a .500 record in their conference. A good example is N iowa who may be a better team, but they were under .500 in their conf. Good record or not, you cannot expect to be in the playoffs with a .500 conf record or below. YSU or Chatty have a better argument. I think this may have been part of the reason SHSU got the nod as well. Descent record, and above (barely) .500. If you look closely at the final standings, I think this may well have been the code the committee was using. What did in YSU was how they finished. What did in UTC was Chattownmocs. Seriously, I think it was the head to head last week with Samford.

BCS Sucks
November 26th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Lets just say it wont be a shootout with them.......they have a very good defensive unit and a offense that can be inconsistent at times but can do some things every now and then.

Squealofthepig
November 26th, 2013, 12:00 PM
I'm with Winindy and will also go with "warm but not fuzzy" - they can win, but it's going to take some big plays (e.g., +3 turnovers like at Montana State). My money's on SHSU keeping their playoff record at home intact.

Houndawg
November 26th, 2013, 12:06 PM
The computer ratings have them the lowest, besides Butler. Even Furman, Lafayette, and Sacred Heart are above them. That said, I still think they are a good team. This is a case where I think it shows the limitations of the computer. At least they have some D. If they only had some better O (they are in the bottom 3rd in the BSC) they might make some serious trouble out there in the future. Of all the teams that made it, they are the one that made me wonder, at least a little. Their only notable wins were against a weak FBS S. Alabama and a slightly down Montana St. The rest were middling or bad BSC. No bad losses though. That, the FBS win, and a good overall and conf record got them in I think.

I think I might have taken a 8-4 UTC or YSU first, but I am not too upset they got picked.

One thing that I have not heard on any of these arm chair threads, is that every team who made it had better than a .500 record in their conference. A good example is N iowa who may be a better team, but they were under .500 in their conf. Good record or not, you cannot expect to be in the playoffs with a .500 conf record or below. YSU or Chatty have a better argument. I think this may have been part of the reason SHSU got the nod as well. Descent record, and above (barely) .500. If you look closely at the final standings, I think this may well have been the code the committee was using. What did in YSU was how they finished. What did in UTC was Chattownmocs. Seriously, I think it was the head to head last week with Samford.

Maybe that's how it is this year. NDSU was 4-4 in MVC play about 3 years ago.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 26th, 2013, 12:09 PM
1st round exit.

MTfan4life

There was literally no one else to pick that season. The top two teams left out had 6 D1 wins and that was back when the definite 7 was still the threshold.

Bison Fan in NW MN

Not too bad considering that there were a lot of FR and RFR playing that year.

LeeshaJo
November 26th, 2013, 12:11 PM
they met the criteria. 50/50 in first round, would expect out in the second if they get through the first. I actually pick this to be a decent game.

Grizalltheway
November 26th, 2013, 12:18 PM
They are very fast and physical on defense, and have the goods to shut down Sammy's rush attack. Without Bell I think the T-birds win this one by 7-10 points.

fmrbearkat
November 26th, 2013, 12:18 PM
I'm with Winindy and will also go with "warm but not fuzzy" - they can win, but it's going to take some big plays (e.g., +3 turnovers like at Montana State). My money's on SHSU keeping their playoff record at home intact.

Its not just a playoff record.....active home winning streak is 21-0 dating back to 2010! Longest in the nation FCS or FBS.

Nickels
November 26th, 2013, 12:24 PM
They are very fast and physical on defense, and have the goods to shut down Sammy's rush attack. Without Bell I think the T-birds win this one by 7-10 points.
Bells not out.