PDA

View Full Version : Updated Payton Watch List

bodoyle
October 11th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Go Coastal's Tyler Thigpen.
Others included, D Ball, Felton, Clifton Dawson, Alonso Coleman, John Grant, Clay Green, Josh Johnson, Justin Rascati, Eric Sanders, Ricky Santos etc

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos2452/1/75/99/65/18/7/718659975107_0_ALB.jpg

FUwolfpacker
October 11th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Link to updated list:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/AGN4044221.htm

UNHknowledge
October 11th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Nice additions on the Payton List, good to see Thigpen on there after losing only 3 games in previous years. NDSU guy also seems like a stud looking at his stats against a pretty tough schedule. The only suprise to me is that Omar Cuff is gone. I haven't seen the Hampton or Jacksonville kid but I couldn't imagine them being better football players than Omar Cuff. I was also suprised to not see any Richmond kids on the Buchanon List.

Pard4Life
October 11th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I see Jordan Scott has been kicked off :rolleyes:

UNHknowledge
October 11th, 2006, 01:01 PM
I see Jordan Scott has been kicked off :rolleyes:

rightfully so...if Cuff went, then Scott had to go.

umassfan
October 11th, 2006, 01:15 PM
I-AA's leader in Pass Eff isnt on the list. They have the two following him but not him. Coen leads all I-AA in pass eff followed by Santos and then Rascati.

KiddBrewer
October 11th, 2006, 01:20 PM
wont be suprised to Jeremy Wiggins on the Buchanan Watch List before too long.

Torero Tradition
October 11th, 2006, 01:37 PM
It is nice to see Josh Johnson on that list... best of luck to all those players... hope everyone can stay healthy.

smallcollegefbfan
October 11th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Nice additions on the Payton List, good to see Thigpen on there after losing only 3 games in previous years. NDSU guy also seems like a stud looking at his stats against a pretty tough schedule. The only suprise to me is that Omar Cuff is gone. I haven't seen the Hampton or Jacksonville kid but I couldn't imagine them being better football players than Omar Cuff. I was also suprised to not see any Richmond kids on the Buchanon List.

I think Green has had a good year, 9 TDs, and so you should not take him off. Coleman from Hampton has been hurt but I saw him play and he is good. He is not going to win the award IMO but he is worthy of being listed.

smallcollegefbfan
October 11th, 2006, 01:42 PM
wont be suprised to Jeremy Wiggins on the Buchanan Watch List before too long.

If he keeps it up and your defense stays on track I believe he will get on the list. Maybe TSN felt it was too early to put a 2nd ASU player on that list? I also thought that the DL from SEMO deserves to be considered.

AggieFinn
October 11th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Glad to see Jon still on it, he better pick it up though, needs to lead the UC Davis Aggies to more wins this year, one game at a time. Being at home will help. :cool:

PaladinFan
October 11th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Is anyone with me in seeing Ball, Santos, and Felton as the front runners, or am I just being a homer?

AggieFinn
October 11th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Is anyone with me in seeing Ball, Santos, and Felton as the front runners, or am I just being a homer?

Oh yeah, it would take a total UNH implosion to keep one of them trophyless. They also need to make playoffs and do well. :cool:

UNHknowledge
October 11th, 2006, 07:29 PM
I think Green has had a good year, 9 TDs, and so you should not take him off. Coleman from Hampton has been hurt but I saw him play and he is good. He is not going to win the award IMO but he is worthy of being listed.

Fair enough...but yea like I said, I haven't seen either play and I'm just suprised to see Cuff off the list. I'm actually suprised that Baylark (UMass, he is the A10's best back) didn't crack it either after his near 200 yd performance.

smallcollegefbfan
October 11th, 2006, 08:41 PM

I believe one of those three should win it. I don't think you are being a homer... :thumbsup:

FUwolfpacker
October 12th, 2006, 12:09 AM
I've crunched the projected stats for all the guys on the updated list using averages from their games up to this point. I'm tired and don't have time to post them all know, but I'll get them up sometime tomorrow.

Based ONLY on projected numbers (not strength of schedule or anything like that), I think the guys with the best shot are Clifton Dawson, Ricky Santos, Tyler Thigpen, Arkee Whitlock, and (oh boy...) Josh Johnson. Those guys would have the best stats based on projected number. No one rip me a new one for putting Johnson up there. I'm going solely on stats (which I know is not really the only factor in voting), and his would be very good if they continue to the end of the season. Ball would also have a shot considering the record, but his projected stats wouldn't be astonishing (86 catches, 997 yards, 13 tds).

Like I said, I'll post them tomorrow, and they're based on projected stats using current averages from their games so far.

Old Cat Fan
October 12th, 2006, 01:47 AM
With Santos only a Junior, hurt his chances any ?

smallcollegefbfan
October 12th, 2006, 05:03 AM
With Santos only a Junior, hurt his chances any ?

I don't think it does because he was on the list last year but since Ball is a senior, he plays on the same team, and he broke the record, that might hurt Santos.

Umass74
October 12th, 2006, 07:08 AM
air enough...but yea like I said, I haven't seen either play and I'm just suprised to see Cuff off the list. I'm actually suprised that Baylark (UMass, he is the A10's best back) didn't crack it either after his near 200 yd performance.

Clearly, Ball should be the front runner. His numbers are down a little because everybody is gearing their defenses to stop him first. He's the most dominant player in I-AA.

Baylark should be in the list. He's leading the A10 in yards/game and is more than on track for his fourth 1,000 yard season. He sat out most of the second half (as did most of the UMass starters) against William & Mary or he would have been in 225 yards range for that game.

GannonFan
October 12th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Fair enough...but yea like I said, I haven't seen either play and I'm just suprised to see Cuff off the list. I'm actually suprised that Baylark (UMass, he is the A10's best back) didn't crack it either after his near 200 yd performance.

Cuff had to come off the list - missing the NU game and now probably missing the Hofstra game as well means there's no way, barring some huge games, that he would even come close to the numbers you need to be on the list. Baylark's not on the list because there is an unofficial cap on the number of guys from each conference - the A10 already has 3 guys on that list, more than any other conference, and so Baylark stays off. In reality, it doesn't matter greatly - this thing is Santos's or Ball's award to win so the rest is just filler.

UNHknowledge
October 12th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Cuff had to come off the list - missing the NU game and now probably missing the Hofstra game as well means there's no way, barring some huge games, that he would even come close to the numbers you need to be on the list. Baylark's not on the list because there is an unofficial cap on the number of guys from each conference - the A10 already has 3 guys on that list, more than any other conference, and so Baylark stays off. In reality, it doesn't matter greatly - this thing is Santos's or Ball's award to win so the rest is just filler.

Ahhh ic, i didn't know about Cuff's injury or about the league cap. It's unfortunate for Baylark because he's one heck of a back. But I agree this is Rick and Dave's award to win!:hurray:

umassfan
October 12th, 2006, 11:05 AM
That is where you are wrong. There were 4 A10 players on the list when Cuff was on it. Santos, Ball, Cuff, and Rascati.

dbackjon
October 12th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Also added: Jason Murrietta (Northern Arizona)!!!

Great job, Jason!!

But realisticly, it is Ball's or Santos' to lose.

umassfan
October 12th, 2006, 11:08 AM
air enough...but yea like I said, I haven't seen either play and I'm just suprised to see Cuff off the list. I'm actually suprised that Baylark (UMass, he is the A10's best back) didn't crack it either after his near 200 yd performance.

Clearly, Ball should be the front runner. His numbers are down a little because everybody is gearing their defenses to stop him first. He's the most dominant player in I-AA.

Baylark should be in the list. He's leading the A10 in yards/game and is more than on track for his fourth 1,000 yard season. He sat out most of the second half (as did most of the UMass starters) against William & Mary or he would have been in 225 yards range for that game.
Dont forget he sat out half of the Stony Brook game too or he would have been around 150 for that game. He would have another 100-150 yards on his total if we didnt kill the last two teams. I see him getting another 150 this week though leaving him only 300 yards short of his 1000.

PaladinFan
October 12th, 2006, 11:18 AM
My question might be the same I had for Auburn two years ago. Ronnie Brown and Carnell Williams were two of a very short list of fantastic runningbacks that year. Both could have been a heisman frontrunner. Only problem was they played on the same team.

You might pull that over to UNH with Ball and Santos. Both of them playing for the same team might hurt them in final statistics for an individual award.

nmatsen
October 12th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Santos and Ball are without a doubt one of, if not the best at their position but, would Ball be as good without Santo's? Would Santos be as good without Ball? If I had a vote for the Payton I would consider that in my decision. I relate it to the St. Louis Rams of the late nineties, Warner was an MVP candidate with Marshall Faulk, would either one be as good without the other?

GannonFan
October 12th, 2006, 12:12 PM
That is where you are wrong. There were 4 A10 players on the list when Cuff was on it. Santos, Ball, Cuff, and Rascati.

Eh, and as the year goes on you'll see less and less. It wouldn't shock me to see Rascati leave the list before the year's out - he's a great QB but he operates in a system where he often isn't a very important piece (run run run). It may be a shame as, if the JMU guys are right, he's a stellar QB, but he's in the system he's in.

Like I said, it's all window dressing anyway - Santos or Ball are winning this thing barring some kind of disaster, which is unlikely in the regular season which the voting is based on anyway.

Baylark is good - I've said for the past two years he's the second best back in the A10 and I still believe that. But in this award, he's miles behind Santos and Ball, which, in perspective, isn't a knock whatsoever - those are truly great players.

FUwolfpacker
October 12th, 2006, 12:19 PM
As promised, here are the projected stats of the guys on the updated list using averages from their games up to this point:

David Ball
86 receptions, 997 yards, 13 tds

Alonzo Coleman
152 carries, 818 yards, 9 tds/ 4 receptions, 55 yards
873 total yards

Clifton Dawson
245 carries, 1352 yards, 27 tds/ 21 receptions, 138 yards
1490 total yards

Jerome Felton
182 carries, 962 yards, 26 tds/ 11 receptions, 60 yards
1022 total yards

Jon Grant
218/398, 2805 yards, 18 tds, 13 ints/ 140 yards rushing
2945 total yards

Josh Johnson
231/341, 2906 yards, 33 tds, 4 ints
733 yards rushing, 13 tds
3639 total yards, 46 total tds

Jason Murrietta
191/293, 2548 yards, 26 tds, 4 ints

James Noble
200 carries, 1102 yards, 7 tds

Justin Rascati
136/198, 1929 yards, 15 tds, 4 ints/ 242 yards rushing
2171 total yards

Eric Sanders
176/244, 1769 yards, 15 tds, 6 ints / 120 yards rushing
1889 total yards

Ricky Santos
216/293, 2363 yards, 31 tds, 0 ints (probably around 2 or 3 though)
495 yards rushing, 11 tds
2858 total yards, 42 total tds

Steve Walker
202/304, 2512 yards, 18 tds, 2 ints / 60+ yards rushing, 2 tds
2572 total yards, 20 total tds

Tyler Thigpen
191/304, 3058 yards, 26 tds, 7 ints
587 yards rushing, 5 tds
3645 total yards, 31 total tds

Arkee Whitlock
240 carries, 1503 yards, 20 tds / 9 receptions, 106 yards
13 kickoff returns, 246 yards
1855 total yards

Kevin Richardson
171 carries, 865 yards, 18 tds / 20 receptions, 147 yards, 2 tds
1012 total yards, 20 total tds

Clay Green
207 carries, 1131 yards, 20 tds / 13 receptions, 48 yards
13 kickoff returns, 343 yards
1522 total yards

Like I said, this is just based on averages. The totals and averages are likely change based on the upcoming competition. My figures could be slightly off too. I was pretty tired when I did this. Some pretty good numbers here. Dawson, Johnson, Santos, Thigpen, and Whitlock have very good numbers. The next level of guys would probably be Ball, Felton, Green, Grant, Noble, Richardson, Walker, and Murrietta. The lowest leve would probably be Coleman, Rascati, and Sanders. All that is based on projected numbers, so stuff will change.

Just something to look at and help with discussions about the Payton Award.

Enjoy!:)

Maroon&White
October 12th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Baylark is good - I've said for the past two years he's the second best back in the A10 and I still believe that. But in this award, he's miles behind Santos and Ball, which, in perspective, isn't a knock whatsoever - those are truly great players.

Who is the best RB?

If they are looking at career stats then I can see why Ball should be out in front with Santos. But THIS YEAR Ball isn't having that great of a year to be way ahead of everyone else. Shaine Smith is probably having the best year for a WR.

If it's career stats then there are a lot of other players who could be out in front; Ball, Santos, Coleman, Dawson...If I had to give it to somebody for career stats it would be Dawson.

dbackjon
October 12th, 2006, 12:50 PM
I am not sure why you would put Johnson on the high category - his stats, while impressive, come against very weak competition.

PaladinFan
October 12th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I don't think Felton would win it. It would be rather unprecedented to give the nod to a fullback. However, he's looking at 1,000 yrds on the ground and possibly be knocking on the door of 30 touchdowns by season's end.

There has to be a category for "every team knows what he's going to do but just can't seem to stop him" right? No trickeration here. This guy is north south all the way.

FUwolfpacker
October 12th, 2006, 01:04 PM
As I said...that's based ONLY on stats, not taking into account competition. That's all. I'm not a SD or Johnson supporter. Those categories were based on stats alone. I think we all know stats can be misleading, and I think/hope the voters will take that into account. I was just going by stats alone. If I had to pick my top 5 from that, Johnson would be boardline b/c of his weak competition. Dawson, Santos, and Whitlock would be in my top 5. Thigpen would probably get in their too b/c he's played well against the tough teams he's faced. The 5th spot could go to a number of guys. That's just my 2 cents though.

Edit: Sorry for saying "stats alone" so many times in one post:)

AppGuy04
October 12th, 2006, 01:06 PM
As I said...that's based ONLY on stats, not taking into account competition. That's all. I'm not a SD or Johnson supporter. Those categories were based on stats alone. I think we all know stats can be misleading, and I think/hope the voters will take that into account. I was just going by stats alone. If I had to pick my top 5 from that, Johnson would be boardline b/c of his weak competition. Dawson, Santos, and Whitlock would be in my top 5. Thigpen would probably get in their too b/c he's played well against the tough teams he's faced. The 5th spot could go to a number of guys. That's just my 2 cents though.
Same scenario in the past with Bruce Eugene

PantherRob82
October 12th, 2006, 02:47 PM
I'm suprised Sanders even makes this list. His stats aren't great. He is a great leader and does what it takes to win. I don't see him winning it before he leaves, but he may be considered the best QB in UNI history before he leaves.

USDFAN_55
October 12th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Say what you want about Josh Johnson.... the fact is he is a very good player, and he has the perfect coach to make him even better. Scary to think this is only his Junior season.