PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to the AGS Poll and voters

bluehenbillk
November 26th, 2013, 07:36 AM
For the 5th year in a row it has been the most accurate predictor of the at-large teams in the NCAA Tournament!!

The AGS Poll got 12/13 teams correct while the GPI only got 10.

Can't argue facts - well done people.

Wallace
November 26th, 2013, 07:47 AM
wrong again blewbilk... gawd go stalk something else with better accuracy fer heaven's sake...

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 26th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Fan polls...they work in practice but not in theory.

bluehenbillk
November 26th, 2013, 07:59 AM
wrong again blewbilk... gawd go stalk something else with better accuracy fer heaven's sake...

10 vs 12 , facts.

Wallace
November 26th, 2013, 08:01 AM
I know better than to argue with idiots blewbilk -go watch your beloved fbssssssssssss

superman7515
November 26th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Someone with facts = idiot
Someone who resorts to name calling = accurate source of information

Interesting theory. Surprised you would bother with an FCS site considering your recent history of problems with Georgetown University.

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/5b/21/5b2124a593fde9673b1ce31229f3cfef.jpeg

Wallace
November 26th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Someone who resorts to name calling = accurate source of information

Interesting theory. Surprised you would bother with an FCS site considering your recent history of problems with Georgetown University.

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/5b/21/5b2124a593fde9673b1ce31229f3cfef.jpeg

Someone who claims "facts" but are false and brings politics into the discussion on an FCS board - whatever derisive term you want

FormerPokeCenter
November 26th, 2013, 09:42 AM
I have a solution....post the at large teams in one column, the final AGS poll in a column next to it and then post the GPI in the column next to that..

Should be an easy debate to settle...

dbackjon
November 26th, 2013, 11:31 AM
I have a solution....post the at large teams in one column, the final AGS poll in a column next to it and then post the GPI in the column next to that..

Should be an easy debate to settle...

Yup - should be very easy

superman7515
November 26th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Ask and ye shall receive...

GPI:
5. Towson (6.00)
6. Montana (7.00)
7T. S Dakota St (8.14)
7T. McNeese St (8.14)
10. Northern Arizona (13.29)
12T. Northern Iowa (15.86)
12T. Youngstown St (15.86)
14. S Illinois (17.00)
16. Fordham (18.29)
18. Tennessee St (19.29)
19. New Hampshire (19.57)
20. Villanova (19.86)
21. Sam Houston St (20.29)

AGS Poll:
1. (5) Towson
2. (6) Northern Arizona
3. (7) McNeese St
4. (8) Montana
5. (10) Fordham
6. (12) South Dakota St
7. (14) New Hampshire
8. (15) Sam Houston St
9. (16) Tennessee St
10. (17) Samford
11. (18) Jacksonville St
12. (19) Youngstown St
13. (20) Southern Utah

Teams that didn't make it in are in bold. Looks like GPI accurately predicted 9 out of 13 and AGS accurately predicted 12 out of 13. Both left out South Carolina State and both had Youngstown State in. The GPI also missed on Northern Iowa and Villanova.

LeeshaJo
November 26th, 2013, 11:45 AM

GPI:
5. Towson (6.00)
6. Montana (7.00)
7T. S Dakota St (8.14)
7T. McNeese St (8.14)
14. S Illinois (17.00)
16. Fordham (18.29)
18. Tennessee St (19.29)
20. Villanova (19.86)

AGS Poll:
1. (5) Towson
2. (6) Northern Arizona
3. (7) McNeese St
4. (8) Montana
5. (10) Fordham
6. (12) South Dakota St
7. (14) New Hampshire
8. (15) Sam Houston St
9. (16) Tennessee St
10. (17) Samford
11. (18) Jacksonville St
12. (19) Youngstown St
13. (20) Southern Utah

Teams that didn't make it in are in bold. Looks like GPI accurately predicted 10 out of 13 and AGS accurately predicted 12 out of 13. Both left out South Carolina State and both had Youngstown State in. The GPI also missed on Northern Iowa and Villanova.

GPI missed on S. Illinois as well.

dbackjon
November 26th, 2013, 11:47 AM
GPI missed on S. Illinois as well.

Great catch. So the GPI only got 9 of 13

superman7515
November 26th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Thanks LJ. I completely overlooked them. GPI was even worse than Bill thought.

Squealofthepig
November 26th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Love it overall.

While I agree on accuracy, I think in no real way should the committee ever consider using such a thing; as soon as it could impact playoffs, there would be an incentive for all of us to be biased.

bluehenbillk
November 26th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Thanks LJ. I completely overlooked them. GPI was even worse than Bill thought.

I admit my mistake, the GPI is even WORSE than I had counted. They got 9/13 correct & the AGS got 12/13 correct. That's what I get for counting while I was in the car.

That's 5 years in a row now. It proves crap in = crap out. The best propaganda machines in the world can't change the results and it's now consistent year after year after year after.....

ursus arctos horribilis
November 26th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Love it overall.

While I agree on accuracy, I think in no real way should the committee ever consider using such a thing; as soon as it could impact playoffs, there would be an incentive for all of us to be biased.

Well then that bias would be put in front of the PC and the vote would probably have trouble living long. I really, really can't stress enough the integrity of most of the voters in the poll from the tests ran in the past withot any sort of froewarning to the voters and so forth.

I wouldn't want it used either but my reasons are different.

Catbooster
November 26th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I admit my mistake, the GPI is even WORSE than I had counted. They got 9/13 correct & the AGS got 12/13 correct. That's what I get for counting while I was in the car.

That's 5 years in a row now. It proves crap in = crap out. The best propaganda machines in the world can't change the results and it's now consistent year after year after year after.....
Gotta give credit where credit's due - Ralph was right - GPI is worse than you said xlolx

bluehenbillk
November 26th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Actually as fun & as easy as it is to ridicule the GPI for its stubborn & inherent faults I didn't start this thread fully for that.

The AGS Poll has done a remarkable job over the past half decade in terms of accuracy. There seems to be a very intelligent & coherent cross-section of fanatic FCS fans here that understand football & understand the FCS landscape & they prove that through the poll. Every week throughout the year I comment on who I think is too high or too low in the AGS Poll & it is much better than the Sports Network & light years ahead of the coaches.

And come Selection Sunday each year the committee seems to be aligned with the results the AGS Poll puts out. Sure it would be easy to dismiss or mock a "fan poll", but you can't dismiss or mock the results that it produces on a consistent basis.

Well done Ursus & crew!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 26th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Actually as fun & as easy as it is to ridicule the GPI for its stubborn & inherent faults I didn't start this thread fully for that.

The AGS Poll has done a remarkable job over the past half decade in terms of accuracy. There seems to be a very intelligent & coherent cross-section of fanatic FCS fans here that understand football & understand the FCS landscape & they prove that through the poll. Every week throughout the year I comment on who I think is too high or too low in the AGS Poll & it is much better than the Sports Network & light years ahead of the coaches.

And come Selection Sunday each year the committee seems to be aligned with the results the AGS Poll puts out. Sure it would be easy to dismiss or mock a "fan poll", but you can't dismiss or mock the results that it produces on a consistent basis.

Well done Ursus & crew!

Thanks but it is the excellent carpenters such as yourself and the other devoted voters that built this house.

Southern Bison
November 26th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Thanks but it is the excellent carpenters such as yourself and the other devoted voters that built this house.

Thanks to you UAH, for developing a poll committee to keep it legit. This is my 1st season as a voter and it has been a lot of fun to dig even deeper into other teams & conferences (outside of my alma mater & their conference) to see the matchups, watch the games, and objectively see which teams are truly worthy of being placed in my top-25.

And since the house is already built, I'll take the role of Hunky Landscaper...tending the lady's garden (see signature).

bluehenbillk
November 26th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Lofty standards to live up to again next season.

CoastalFan2005
November 26th, 2013, 03:46 PM

I know better than to argue with idiots blewbilk -go watch your beloved fbssssssssssss

http://31.media.tumblr.com/dc1d1211d2b9865ddf6ddc1b819c65e6/tumblr_mjqqy47AfT1s229k8o2_500.gif

Cocky
November 26th, 2013, 06:34 PM
AGS consist of mostly serious football fans. The voters understand the weakest of their own team and usually are harder on them than others.

BisonBacker
November 26th, 2013, 08:52 PM

GPI:
5. Towson (6.00)
6. Montana (7.00)
7T. S Dakota St (8.14)
7T. McNeese St (8.14)
14. S Illinois (17.00)
16. Fordham (18.29)
18. Tennessee St (19.29)
20. Villanova (19.86)

AGS Poll:
1. (5) Towson
2. (6) Northern Arizona
3. (7) McNeese St
4. (8) Montana
5. (10) Fordham
6. (12) South Dakota St
7. (14) New Hampshire
8. (15) Sam Houston St
9. (16) Tennessee St
10. (17) Samford
11. (18) Jacksonville St
12. (19) Youngstown St
13. (20) Southern Utah

Teams that didn't make it in are in bold. Looks like GPI accurately predicted 9 out of 13 and AGS accurately predicted 12 out of 13. Both left out South Carolina State and both had Youngstown State in. The GPI also missed on Northern Iowa and Villanova.

Me thinks the phrase that fits is Boyaaaa Biotchee! Or something like that!

Professor Chaos
November 26th, 2013, 10:28 PM
I'm just waiting for Ralph to try to claim the GPI picked 11 of 13 right by saying that SIU and Villanova only won 6 D1 games and therefore weren't under consideration. That was his crutch for the GPI last year. Things are still the same this year right? Oh wait...

bluehenbillk
November 27th, 2013, 06:12 AM
After half a decade there is no hiccup. The AGS poll is far and away the leading predictor of playoff teams. Maybe they should hook up the computers to our brains so they could learn something.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 27th, 2013, 06:47 AM
After half a decade there is no hiccup. The AGS poll is far and away the leading predictor of playoff teams. Maybe they should hook up the computers to our brains so they could learn something.

Many here on AGS have already had electrodes hooked up to their brains and would rather not repeat the experience

Fear the Bird
November 27th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Just imagine how good AGS voters would look if they did the right thing and DID NOT rank YSU to end the season. I mean I get how everybody was so enthralled with their huge wins over Morehead and Duquesne, but what exactly warranted any ranking let alone top 20 (which them finishing 19 most likely means people had them as high as mid-upper teens)? They even got to play their 2 biggest games of the year at home and weren't even close in either.

SIUSalukiFan
November 27th, 2013, 11:26 AM

Well done Ursus & crew!

Since I'm new here can somebody explain how this AGS poll works? Who votes?

dbackjon
November 27th, 2013, 11:44 AM

Anyone, as long as they have over 100 posts, register before the season, and doesn't miss a certain number of votes.

Keep posting, and stay informed, and vote next season

SIUSalukiFan
November 27th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Anyone, as long as they have over 100 posts, register before the season, and doesn't miss a certain number of votes.

Keep posting, and stay informed, and vote next season

Interesting ... thanks for the heads up.

SIUSalukiFan
November 27th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Interesting ... thanks for the heads up.

Maybe if I was more informed I could recognize the quality of Jacksonville State's at-large candidacy.

knucklehead
November 27th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Enjoyed my first year of voting and learned a lot.

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Just imagine how good AGS voters would look if they did the right thing and DID NOT rank YSU to end the season. I mean I get how everybody was so enthralled with their huge wins over Morehead and Duquesne, but what exactly warranted any ranking let alone top 20 (which them finishing 19 most likely means people had them as high as mid-upper teens)? They even got to play their 2 biggest games of the year at home and weren't even close in either.
5 wins in the MVFC and 8 D1 wins overall including a win at SIU and a dismantling of Illinois St. I'm not saying it's the strongest resume out there but it's just as good as the teams around them (SUU, JSU, Samford). If you believe in punishing teams because their conference schedule is weighted towards the end and they struggled so be it but I don't.

BisonBacker
November 27th, 2013, 01:31 PM
I agree Prof...

SIUSalukiFan
November 27th, 2013, 01:36 PM
I don't want to end up on somebody's hit list but bragging about AGS voters nailing 12 of 13 at-large picks to this year's playoff field is akin to bragging that you picked correctly picked the 49 states Richard Nixon would carry in the 1972 presidential election.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 27th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Maybe if I was more informed I could recognize the quality of Jacksonville State's at-large candidacy.

Enjoyed my first year of voting and learned a lot.

See that post right below ya. You will become much more informed of that there is no doubt. You have joined recently and have probably not seen the very long threads where we go over and argue these points that you are now bringing up every single week of the season. In other words you will become quite experienced and informed as to why certain teams have merit relative what you think maybe floating around in the FCS ether alone. Join us brother, and argue and seed the teams each and every week and see how tough it can be to do a good job cuz I assure you it is not easy to weigh those pros and cons when trying to cast your vote.

Voters take a great deal of pride in their ballots and if it is noticed that someone does not take it seriously then they take a hell of a beating on the board or have their poll questioned by a committee here on AGS just so you know how it works.

SIUSalukiFan
November 27th, 2013, 02:08 PM
See that post right below ya. You will become much more informed of that there is no doubt. You have joined recently and have probably not seen the very long threads where we go over and argue these points that you are now bringing up every single week of the season. In other words you will become quite experienced and informed as to why certain teams have merit relative what you think maybe floating around in the FCS ether alone. Join us brother, and argue and seed the teams each and every week and see how tough it can be to do a good job cuz I assure you it is not easy to weigh those pros and cons when trying to cast your vote.

Voters take a great deal of pride in their ballots and if it is noticed that someone does not take it seriously then they take a hell of a beating on the board or have their poll questioned by a committee here on AGS just so you know how it works.

Thanks for the update. I look forward to participating in the future!

Wallace
November 28th, 2013, 07:34 AM
10 vs 12 , facts.
you were wrong

Someone who resorts to name calling = accurate source of information...
you were wrong

Yup - should be very easy
you were wrong

No one knows. Personal problems with people taking shots at me for the wrong reasons aside, when I created the AGS poll it was known who voted and the poll was respected and included in the GPI, plus reported by NCAA schools all the time. Since I retired it became secret and is no longer included anywhere. I wish they would change this because I feel a sense of responsibility for having created AGS and the poll. It is the decision of the current ownership.

MTfan4life
November 28th, 2013, 07:41 AM
you were wrong

you were wrong

you were wrong

TheFan...Is that you?

Wallace
November 28th, 2013, 07:46 AM
TheFan...Is that you?

I post under my real name. Do you? Accountability.

paward
November 28th, 2013, 08:14 AM

You get a beat down for some picks.