PDA

View Full Version : LEHIGH-LAFAYETTE PART OF ESPN2 SHOW SATURDAY

ngineer
October 11th, 2006, 11:55 AM
It has been reported that ESPN2 on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. will be airing a show about College Football's Top Ten Rivalries and Lehigh/Lafayette will be included. I imagine Harvard/Yale will be in there also from the I-AA family.

Pards Rule
October 11th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Will watch 4 sure! Hope they have Jon Hurt's TD catch from last years game :)

LeopardFan04
October 11th, 2006, 12:01 PM
http://patriotleague.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100506aad.html

It's being shown friday on ESPN2 and sunday on ESPNU

Pard4Life
October 11th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Finally! Some freaking acknowledgement from the boys in Bristol!

Pard4Life
October 11th, 2006, 12:56 PM
It has been reported that ESPN2 on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. will be airing a show about College Football's Top Ten Rivalries and Lehigh/Lafayette will be included. I imagine Harvard/Yale will be in there also from the I-AA family.

Just to note: it says October 13... that is Friday instead... and ESPNU is Sunday.

ngineer
October 11th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Yes--thanks for the correction. It is Friday night on ESPN2 at 7:30 p.m. I imagine the infamous 6-6 tie on the 100th game will be noted:rolleyes: Yes, I would expect Hurt's catch and Klingerman's grab in the gloamin' should be highlighted...:nod:

Pard4Life
October 11th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Yes--thanks for the correction. It is Friday night on ESPN2 at 7:30 p.m. I imagine the infamous 6-6 tie on the 100th game will be noted:rolleyes: Yes, I would expect Hurt's catch and Klingerman's grab in the gloamin' should be highlighted...:nod:

No they will still find some way to ignore last year and zero in on that damn Klingerman catch.. and I bet WFMZ still has it in their highlights... should be fun though... one thing that annoys me in the LV PBS documentary is hardly a mention of the great 2002 game. Instead it focuses on the lame 2003 game.. eh..

Anyhow, do they sell the documentary in the Lehigh bookstore? I saw it at Lafayette for $29.99.. (should be 19.99 at most... damn Lafayette bookstore taking people for a ride again :nonono2: )... and we don't have the book on sale...

Lehigh Football Nation
October 11th, 2006, 10:21 PM
No they will still find some way to ignore last year and zero in on that damn Klingerman catch.. and I bet WFMZ still has it in their highlights... should be fun though... one thing that annoys me in the LV PBS documentary is hardly a mention of the great 2002 game. Instead it focuses on the lame 2003 game.. eh..

Anyhow, do they sell the documentary in the Lehigh bookstore? I saw it at Lafayette for $29.99.. (should be 19.99 at most... damn Lafayette bookstore taking people for a ride again :nonono2: )... and we don't have the book on sale...

I don't know, but that puppy has safely on a VCR tape at my house :)

Pards Rule
October 12th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Yeah that LV PBS should be updated....Fricking A, GUESS who is gonna be away Friday night attending a beach replenishment meeting in Long Beach Island, NJ....I will try to tape it but I grade myself an F- on these video things..last time I tried to tape something it was blank :(

Lehigh Football Nation
October 12th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Yeah that LV PBS should be updated....Fricking A, GUESS who is gonna be away Friday night attending a beach replenishment meeting in Long Beach Island, NJ....I will try to tape it but I grade myself an F- on these video things..last time I tried to tape something it was blank :(

Frankly I like living in the past with that PBS special... :nod:

I'm really wondering how ESPN is going to treat this special. Hopefully with respect. I can't wait. As long as they don't confuse us with Louisiana-Lafayette (like they did last year) I'll be pretty happy I think.

Pard4Life
October 12th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Frankly I like living in the past with that PBS special... :nod:

I'm really wondering how ESPN is going to treat this special. Hopefully with respect. I can't wait. As long as they don't confuse us with Louisiana-Lafayette (like they did last year) I'll be pretty happy I think.

Speaking of confusing us with other teams... got a recruitment email from a prestigous company... inside, it said, "blah blah blah.. LaFayette" :bang:

Pards Rule
October 12th, 2006, 09:00 AM
I hate when the F is capitalized! But that is how the Marquis de LaFayette did spell it when he was a general assisting George Washington in the Revolution - at all of 19 years old (not a typo!)...He returned to America to be feted across the nation in 1826 on the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence and many a town named themselves for him - including Fayettevilles all over...and also a small Presbyterian school just established in Easton, PA (one of three places the Declaration of Independence was publicly read for the first time in the town square).

bulldog10jw
October 12th, 2006, 11:47 AM
I imagine Harvard/Yale will be in there also from the I-AA family.

It will be:

The Yale-Harvard football rivalry will be featured in a segment on "The Greatest Rivalries", airing on ESPN2 from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Eastern on Friday Oct. 13. The show will also be re-broadcast on ESPNU at a later date.

I hope this is better than a previous version. They just had some talking heads from each school and showed very few highlights. We'll see how much time they actually devote to Y-H and L-L.

ngineer
October 12th, 2006, 12:24 PM
I hate when the F is capitalized! But that is how the Marquis de LaFayette did spell it when he was a general assisting George Washington in the Revolution - at all of 19 years old (not a typo!)...He returned to America to be feted across the nation in 1826 on the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence and many a town named themselves for him - including Fayettevilles all over...and also a small Presbyterian school just established in Easton, PA (one of three places the Declaration of Independence was publicly read for the first time in the town square).

Yes, we celebrate Heritage Day every July 8 (or the weekend closest to it rather than July 4) which represents when the Declaration was read in the town square, which still remains. People dress up in colonial garb of the period and the Declaration is read in similar fashion--together with planted hecklers who were still loyal to the King. It's usually an entire weekend complete with major fireworks on Sunday evening. One of the original flags that accompanyied the Patriot/Rebels in 1776 still hangs in the public library. It is called "The Easton Flag" that has a field of blue with 13 six-pointed stars in a circle, and then, in the upper left corner is a square with 13 red and white stripes--sort of the reverse of our current flag. Our high school band carries a replica with the color guard and hosts a big band tournament every October called "First Flag over the Colonies".:read:

Ivytalk
October 12th, 2006, 12:42 PM

The last time that ESPN dusted off the "rivalry" theme, the Harvard-Yale segment was pretty lame. They had some old film clips from the '68 Game (the famous 29-29 tie) and that was about it.

Pards Rule
October 12th, 2006, 01:32 PM
That was the game with the famous headline: Harvard (or Yale- cant remember who came back from the dead) Wins, 29-29???

Pard4Life
October 12th, 2006, 01:45 PM
The last time that ESPN dusted off the "rivalry" theme, the Harvard-Yale segment was pretty lame. They had some old film clips from the '68 Game (the famous 29-29 tie) and that was about it.

Yeah, and I think that may have been last year. Can't recall 100 percent, but ESPN had something small where they followed some Harvard players and they were being fairy crude... no surprise considering where that has led now.. :rolleyes:

bulldog10jw
October 12th, 2006, 01:48 PM
That was the game with the famous headline: Harvard (or Yale- cant remember who came back from the dead) Wins, 29-29???

Depressing though it is:

http://www.nd.edu/~tmandell/harvard.html

But you can't write a book documenting 100 of the greatest college football finishes unless you start with The Game.

Harvard-Yale 1968. The founding father of great finishes from the past three decades.

The Yale Elis (8-0) entered the finale of the 1968 season with a 16-game winning streak, hoping to capture their second straight Ivy League Championship with a win over arch-rival and undefeated Harvard (8-0). The Crimson, seeking their first ever outright Ivy title, boasted the nation's best scoring defense, allowing just 7.6 points per game.

Pards Rule
October 12th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Wow! never read the play by play account. Definitely true: the most exciting tie I had ever heard about! Boy, does Dowling sound like a bitter chump...No wonder he transferred with that kind of attitude. Heh, served him right he is nowhere near a household name - well forgotten!

bulldog10jw
October 12th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Wow! never read the play by play account. Definitely true: the most exciting tie I had ever heard about! Boy, does Dowling sound like a bitter chump...No wonder he transferred with that kind of attitude. Heh, served him right he is nowhere near a household name - well forgotten!

I would cut Dowling a little slack. I think many players would have had the same reaction immediately following that type of game. He was and is a great guy.

What made you think he transferred? That was the last game of his senior year.

Pards Rule
October 12th, 2006, 02:28 PM
The basic misassumption coming from a college not a university (keep forgetting about those grad schools!)...I also assumed he made those comments years after the fact, not right after the game. I hope he can get some laughs and good stories out of it now. Never saw any clips from it - was the tape saved???

bulldog10jw
October 12th, 2006, 02:47 PM
The basic misassumption coming from a college not a university (keep forgetting about those grad schools!)...I also assumed he made those comments years after the fact, not right after the game. I hope he can get some laughs and good stories out of it now. Never saw any clips from it - was the tape saved???

The game was shown around the country on "closed circuit TV" screens so I'm sure there are many copies although all the replays and highlights I've seen seem to be film, not tape. I watched in the New Haven Arena because it was impossible to get tickets unless you were a very influential alum.

bulldog10jw
October 12th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Some trivia for Pards Rule:

The character B.D., in the Doonesbury comic strip, was originally based on Dowling, a Yale classmate of cartoonist Garry Trudeau.

http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/retro/yale/yale1.html

Pards Rule
October 12th, 2006, 03:13 PM
SOB! You learn new trivia every day! :)

Pard4Life
October 12th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Funny story from video game land... this actually happened to me once... I built Marshall into a power Big East team in NCAA football and I was playing 'computer led' Miami... I was up by 10 points with a minute left to play and kicked it off... Miami scored, got an onsides kick, scored again, won by four... I am still livid over it and it was a few years go... :D

Of course H-Y is much more exciting...

..Laf-Lehigh '05 was pretty darn good as well...

Lehigh Football Nation
October 12th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Some trivia for Pards Rule:

The character B.D., in the Doonesbury comic strip, was originally based on Dowling, a Yale classmate of cartoonist Garry Trudeau.

http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/retro/yale/yale1.html

First I learn that Duke is based on Hunter S. Thompson (well, I sort of figured THAT one out :rolleyes: ), and now I learn that B.D. is based on Dowling? Maybe I should just cut-n-paste a picture of Mike Doonesbury in my I-AA column and be done with it :p

bulldog10jw
October 13th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Thought the Lehigh-Lafayette part was better than the Yale-Harvard part.

ngineer
October 13th, 2006, 08:01 PM
I liked both segments. I never saw the highlights of the 'infamous tie' before. Some great footage of Lehigh-Lafayette games past--including the "Klingerman Katch in the Gloamin'"..the goal post tradition--some nice shots of Goodman Stadium--Ed Hammer's comments were very good on how the game means so much--"..for 99.8% of the players, it will be the last football they play in their lives...":thumbsup:

Lehigh Football Nation
October 13th, 2006, 08:24 PM
I agree - well done. They even snuck in a shot of Taylor stadium - catch it? I was really surprised too they showed the end of the '91 game (my senior year) marred by violence. (No, I didn't storm the field.)

Overall, I liked it!

ngineer
October 13th, 2006, 08:26 PM
I agree - well done. They even snuck in a shot of Taylor stadium - catch it? I was really surprised too they showed the end of the '91 game (my senior year) marred by violence. (No, I didn't storm the field.)

Overall, I liked it!

Yes, I remember that one , well. It was actually scary and my kids were getting anxious. But, was also a first hand lesson in what can happen when you 'misbehave.' A number of kids got 'thumped' pretty good by the BPD...

Pard94
October 14th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Yes, I remember that one , well. It was actually scary and my kids were getting anxious. But, was also a first hand lesson in what can happen when you 'misbehave.' A number of kids got 'thumped' pretty good by the BPD...

The only people who truly misbehaved that day were members of the BPD. Talk abot an overeaction. Would have been a much better day if they let the students storm the field and be done with it. No one was looking to loot, riot or inflict violence...except the cops that day.

Pards Rule
October 15th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Was that the infamous "sod riot"???

ngineer
October 15th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Was that the infamous "sod riot"???

Yes--students gathered on the bank above the south endzone and were pelting the cops with clumps of sod...