PDA

View Full Version : Elon Coach Swepson gone.....

kdinva
November 25th, 2013, 04:31 PM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/11/25/4497029/elon-fires-football-coach-swepson.html#.UpPPjCdogR0

DoWe
November 25th, 2013, 04:45 PM
He wasn't thuggy enough.

JMUNJ08
November 25th, 2013, 04:49 PM
CAA coaching carosel has begun! Both JMU & Elon looking for the next guy in line to take them to a new level

elon77
November 25th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Had to go, program has really gone down hill fast the last three years. The thuggy guy before him is doing pretty good at Ball State.

Pard4Life
November 25th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Interesting that this is the second program that Lembo has left behind that ended up in distress. Lehigh was sub-500 for four years after Lembo left.

PhoenixLA
November 25th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Interesting that this is the second program that Lembo has left behind that ended up in distress. Lehigh was sub-500 for four years after Lembo left.

Lembo is one heck of a coach, and runs a tight ship.

Can't wait to see his continued success in a BCS Conference.

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Called it

danefan
November 25th, 2013, 07:40 PM
CAA coaching carosel has begun! Both JMU & Elon looking for the next guy in line to take them to a new level

has there ever been this man open spots in the CAA before?

Albany
Rhode Island
Elon
James Madison

Apphole
November 25th, 2013, 07:43 PM
But he taught those boys to brush their teeth better than App State....

PhillyApp1
November 25th, 2013, 10:38 PM
But he taught those boys to brush their teeth better than App State....

Clean teeth and a losing record against his NIGHTMARE "APP STATE"......be careful what your goal is coach ....stupid statements with terrible results ,,, ELON admin deserves what they got...i am referring to so many things....kids that don't know how to fold an Flag (they were just rolling it up) We got sick and ripped it from them and taught them the right way ( length way in half, and half, and into triangles)....no parking and food for APP Alumni tailgate this year...idiots roaming the nice campus acting like cocky fools...how many more???

fc97
November 26th, 2013, 04:51 AM
good grief the app fans will come out to just bash everything. you never have to come back here. just leave it at that. we can all complain about stupid crap at every opposing stadium and campus.

swepson sucked. his staff was terrible. local high school coaches locked him out from their players because of him going back on verbal offers. arrogant attitude. blaming players in print. not to mention the host of constant stupid statements about opponents. lembo, hate him or love him for whatever reason, did some things real good.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 26th, 2013, 08:05 AM
My advice to Elon is to find a guy with HC experience and don't bother with FBS assistants.

SpeedkingATL
November 26th, 2013, 09:05 AM
good grief the app fans will come out to just bash everything. you never have to come back here. just leave it at that. we can all complain about stupid crap at every opposing stadium and campus.

swepson sucked. his staff was terrible. local high school coaches locked him out from their players because of him going back on verbal offers. arrogant attitude. blaming players in print. not to mention the host of constant stupid statements about opponents. lembo, hate him or love him for whatever reason, did some things real good.

Regardless of what you think of Lembo he is proving himself a competent FBS Head Coach. Swepson, like many assistants promoted to the top job didn't get it done. No surprise here.

PhillyApp1
November 26th, 2013, 09:49 AM

We can't see the good things except always losing to us ;-).....but you did a good job communicating his stupidity.... Enjoy the CAA ...but if you don't change some admin, it wont help..lol

kdinva
November 27th, 2013, 08:34 AM
coachingsearch.com says Elon wants to talk to CSU Coach Chadwell.......

rokamortis
November 27th, 2013, 09:16 AM

I wonder how strong of a candidate he is. Does he have connections to Elon? I know he left Delta State after one year but it would seem odd to me that he wold leave CSU after a successful first season.

fc97
November 27th, 2013, 09:32 AM
no connections, but the surface of things seems to indicate we had a short list already. chaldwell is a mover upper. csu was a stepping stone, elon will be too. short term this could be good.

Sir William
November 27th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Look for Chadwell to eventually be head coach at Liberty (which is a lot like Chuck South, only bigger...and eventually going FBS) or ETSU (Chadwell's alma mater). Just my opinion, but I seriously doubt he would have an interest in Elon.

FWIW, Elon should take a serious look at Mike Houston out of Lenoir-Rhyne, or Pete Shinnick out of UNC-Pembroke.

citdog
November 27th, 2013, 09:43 AM
like many assistants promoted to the top job didn't get it done. No surprise here.

http://www.wxii12.com/image/view/-/17781140/medRes/1/-/maxh/460/maxw/620/-/xe5iepz/-/Scott-Satterfield-named-Appalachian-State-football-coach.jpg

Apphole
November 27th, 2013, 09:47 AM

MORE triple option for the SoCon xlolx. Talk about a boring league to watch.

Sir William
November 27th, 2013, 09:57 AM

Except that Elon is going to the CAA. xrolleyesx

walliver
November 27th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Look for Chadwell to eventually be head coach at Liberty (which is a lot like Chuck South, only bigger...and eventually going FBS) or ETSU (Chadwell's alma mater). Just my opinion, but I seriously doubt he would have an interest in Elon.

FWIW, Elon should take a serious look at Mike Houston out of Lenoir-Rhyne, or Pete Shinnick out of UNC-Pembroke.

With stops at North Greenville and CSU, Liberty would be an obvious next step. It is hard to see him staying long at CSU with it well under-capitalized football program and micro stadium.

It would be a risky move for Elon. Chadwell has shown that he can turn around an existing team, but has yet to prove that he can successfully recruit long-term. Elon is also now establishing itself as a mid-atlantic, not southern, school. Chadwell has no connections in the northeast/mid-atlantic.

Apphole
November 27th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Except that Elon is going to the CAA. xrolleyesx

oops

CSU18
November 27th, 2013, 11:20 AM
I would be devistated if Chadwell left CSU so soon. He's exactly the type of Coach we need. I'm not dumb to the fact that Chadwell won't be at CSU forever. I also want to explain something about the CSU facilities - the school was founded in 1964 and football started in the late 80's early 90's. There is a small Alumni base and an even smaller football Alumni base. With that said, we just don't have the donors that other schools have that will allow them to upgrade everything all at once (not yet anyway). CSU is doing things every year, but it's going to take some time. I agree that the facilities aren't great, but at least they have an on campus stadium (it took Elon 30+ years to get what they have and out of an off site high school stadium). Funding 17 D-1 athletic programs is the problem for CSU financially.

danefan
November 27th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Lembo is one heck of a coach, and runs a tight ship.

Can't wait to see his continued success in a BCS Conference.

His next stop is likely UConn.

Sir William
November 27th, 2013, 12:38 PM

I'm hearing the same thing.

ASUMountaineer
November 27th, 2013, 12:43 PM
http://www.wxii12.com/image/view/-/17781140/medRes/1/-/maxh/460/maxw/620/-/xe5iepz/-/Scott-Satterfield-named-Appalachian-State-football-coach.jpg

I thought after the season your hard-on for App State would subside...appears, you just can't get enough App State.

fc97
November 27th, 2013, 02:34 PM
I would be devistated if Chadwell left CSU so soon. He's exactly the type of Coach we need. I'm not dumb to the fact that Chadwell won't be at CSU forever. I also want to explain something about the CSU facilities - the school was founded in 1964 and football started in the late 80's early 90's. There is a small Alumni base and an even smaller football Alumni base. With that said, we just don't have the donors that other schools have that will allow them to upgrade everything all at once (not yet anyway). CSU is doing things every year, but it's going to take some time. I agree that the facilities aren't great, but at least they have an on campus stadium (it took Elon 30+ years to get what they have and out of an off site high school stadium). Funding 17 D-1 athletic programs is the problem for CSU financially.

elon's off campus stadium was jointly owned by the elon. because a high school used it too, later, doesn't mean it was a high school stadium.

fc97
November 27th, 2013, 03:12 PM
i think the wofford fan raises a good point. the school itself is identified as mid-atlantic and not southern. but the school has always recruited nc, sc, tn heavily for athletes.

chaldwell being a southern guy doesnt bring elon out of the comfort zone that much.

some say why elon? i say why not? elon is caa. if you do well, you go fbs that much easier (see lembo and socon). elon pays more. and elon does have advantages that liberty doesnt have in hiring. elon has prayer before games but you don't have to sign a letter of faith just to work there and recruit those types of players.

CSU18
November 27th, 2013, 07:03 PM
elon's off campus stadium was jointly owned by the elon. because a high school used it too, later, doesn't mean it was a high school stadium.

Nice try - I played high school football there, and I promise you ELON DIDN'T OWN anything about that stadium. It's a high school stadium and always has been. The coach sat the high school worked on that field all summer with nothing from Elon in return.

CID1990
November 27th, 2013, 08:49 PM

It wasn't boring watching us whip your a$$es with it for the last two years.

CID1990
November 27th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Nice try - I played high school football there, and I promise you ELON DIDN'T OWN anything about that stadium. It's a high school stadium and always has been. The coach sat the high school worked on that field all summer with nothing from Elon in return.

Where did you play high school?

ngineer
November 27th, 2013, 08:54 PM

Pistol Pete made no bones about it that he was one of those guys looking for the next rung to get to the 'big time'. Wouldn't be surprised at any move, now that he has taken BSU about as far it can go.

CSU18
November 27th, 2013, 09:00 PM
Where did you play high school?

Walter Williams High School and then played at CSU. My brother played at Elon when they used the high school field.

CID1990
November 27th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Walter Williams High School and then played at CSU. My brother played at Elon when they used the high school field.

I played for Bartlett Yancey back when we were both in the Mid State 3A

CSU18
November 27th, 2013, 09:03 PM
I played for Bartlett Yancey back when we were both in the Mid State 3A

What year did you graduate? You know the stadium well then.

CID1990
November 27th, 2013, 09:04 PM
What year did you graduate? You know the stadium well then.

I finished in 1986. I was actually at one of Elon's NAIA Nat championship games as a kid

CSU18
November 27th, 2013, 09:15 PM
I finished in 1986. I was actually at one of Elon's NAIA Nat championship games as a kid

Cool - they had some good squads during that time period. So did Williams. I'm sure you'll vouch that in no way did Elon OWN any part of that stadium.

CID1990
November 27th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Cool - they had some good squads during that time period. So did Williams. I'm sure you'll vouch that in no way did Elon OWN any part of that stadium.

Not to my recollection. I took weekend classes at Elon in the 80s and I don't think they even had a dedicated practice field on campus until way after I had left NC.

whoanellie
November 27th, 2013, 10:48 PM
His next stop is likely UConn. maybe Purdue??? Maryland would be a Great fit.

whoanellie
November 27th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Going to Throw a "New" name in the Hat and hope Dave Blank , Elon's AD gives him the consideration of an interview.
Current Duke Co-Def. Coordinator Jim Collins
hired by Cutcliffe upon taking the job at Duke
prior Def. Coordinator Marshall,
prior Asst. Washington Redskins under Steve Spurrier
Was long time Asst. @ Florida recruiting coordinator special team LB coach
Asst. @ Duke Mid 80's under
Asst. ASU & Lees-McCrae & High School GSO Page
Student Asst. @ Elon and Elon Grad.
Well respected, Recruited from NY to Florida
knows North Carolina and is a proven winner
would love to come back to his Alma Mater.

CID1990
November 28th, 2013, 06:22 AM

BTW- we had a good cheer for Cummings HS back then:

2, 4, 6, 8... what do you get when you masturbate?

Cummings! Cummings! Cummings!

fc97
November 28th, 2013, 10:48 AM

if you go to the history of the stadium you will see when it was built, by whom, who paid for it, the donors who sponsored it originally and that it was joint between elon and burlington. the school system didn't own it until after elon left it. hence the name, burlington memorial stadium and not walter williams high school stadium. this is the same setup that high point university had with the government of high point and then sold it for nothing later.

i can go in the attic and find an old program and scan it for you explaining this if you would like. it was in every program in the late 80s and 90s.

i know this negativity that locals have toward the college, so it isn't surprising your posting on the matter. it reminds me of the app fans who are from burlington too.

CSU18
November 28th, 2013, 12:11 PM
if you go to the history of the stadium you will see when it was built, by whom, who paid for it, the donors who sponsored it originally and that it was joint between elon and burlington. the school system didn't own it until after elon left it. hence the name, burlington memorial stadium and not walter williams high school stadium. this is the same setup that high point university had with the government of high point and then sold it for nothing later.

i can go in the attic and find an old program and scan it for you explaining this if you would like. it was in every program in the late 80s and 90s.

i know this negativity that locals have toward the college, so it isn't surprising your posting on the matter. it reminds me of the app fans who are from burlington too.

No need for that - this thread has nothing to do with this side conversation. If you're correct, then I stand corrected - I've lived here a long time and have always been under the impression that Elon "used" the facilities. You are 100% correct in that it is Burlington Memorial, and not Williams High Schools (although somehow the high school has always been responsible for the upkeep and no one else uses the stadium). And just for the record, I love Elon and am in no way bashing them - just making the point that it took them a long long long time to get the facilities they have - which are outstanding, along with the University. Had it not been 5 minutes from my house I would have loved to have gone there to play. As long as they're not playing CSU, I love to see them do well.

CSU18
November 28th, 2013, 12:15 PM
I did hear yesterday afternoon that a lot of Elon supporters want to bring in Jay Bateman. He was the DC under Lembo, and is currently Lembo's DC at Ball State. He's a young coach with lots of fire - and his defense is no doubt good year in and year out. Do any Leigh folks know if Bateman has followed Lembo since his Leigh days?

Bill
November 28th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Yes - Jay went with Lembo to Elon from Lehigh....have been together sine last year at LU, I think...

No disrespect meant to Elon, but I'm not sure Jay does that move now. Cpach Lembo is on the fast track for a bigger/better stop than Ball State, and I see no reason why to get off that ride right now...

CSU18
November 28th, 2013, 05:05 PM
No disrespect meant to Elon, but I'm not sure Jay does that move now. Cpach Lembo is on the fast track for a bigger/better stop than Ball State, and I see no reason why to get off that ride right now...

Get exactly what you're saying, but some people's dream is being "the head man." It would be a really tough decision, but being the man that calls the shots can be a deciding factor for some.

TribeNomad
November 28th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Next year Elon starts CAA play. Do they lose a lot?

APaladindad
November 28th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Yes - Jay went with Lembo to Elon from Lehigh....have been together sine last year at LU, I think...

Jay was considered for the HC after Lembo or wasn't and thought he should have been. I know there was some friction with the current admin. I would also question his recruiting tactics based on my sons own personal experiences with Jay.

apaladin2
November 29th, 2013, 01:16 AM

Yes they will lose a lot, just like this year!!xlolxxthumbsupxxbowx

CSU18
December 5th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Anyone heard anything further on the Elon coaching search? I'm local to Elon, and it's been pretty tight lipped. Not sure if anyone else out there has heard anything that hasn't already been mentioned.

On a side note, it's my understanding the Wake Forest AD is in Muncie to meet with Pete Lembo.

FCSFAN2013
December 6th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Whoever gets KC Keeler is going to elevate their program in the very near future. Keeler has a proven track record and the CAA's that dont get him will probably wind up regretting not looking into him when they are losing to him at another CAA school. Dont be surprised if Rob Ambrose leaves Towson State soon. He has done a good job there and should be rewarded this year. Surprised JMU hasnt named a coach yet, they are losing ground in the recruiting world right now. Does anyone know if Rhode Island is moving out of the CAA, I have heard that on numerous occasions?

fc97
December 6th, 2013, 02:53 PM
i've heard that either elon has backed off of chaldwell or he has backed off from the elon job.

reports today mention lembo to wake forest affecting the bateman approach to elon and that the lenoir-rhyne and unc-pembroke coaches are also fall back plans.

elon77
December 10th, 2013, 08:30 AM

I believe they had 6 Seniors on the roster. With the right coaching staff and the experience they have coming back next year they should be much improved. There is plenty of talent on their team, Elon just needs the right head coach.

CSU18
December 11th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Just heard that Elon plans to announce Rich Skrosky (OC @Ball State) as their head coach later today. He was the OC during the Pete Lembo years. I'm assuming he couldn't hold out to see if Lembo landed a bigger gig.

whoanellie
December 11th, 2013, 07:18 PM
for Elon and what is left of their fan base this is a great hire!
! Great offensive mind in every facet of the game
He has a wealth of experience and knows the area
well respected by high school coaches is low key because he can get his point across.
I pray He can inspire these guys to believe and prove they can win some football games

CFBfan
December 11th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Whoever gets KC Keeler is going to elevate their program in the very near future. Keeler has a proven track record and the CAA's that dont get him will probably wind up regretting not looking into him when they are losing to him at another CAA school. Dont be surprised if Rob Ambrose leaves Towson State soon. He has done a good job there and should be rewarded this year. Surprised JMU hasnt named a coach yet, they are losing ground in the recruiting world right now. Does anyone know if Rhode Island is moving out of the CAA, I have heard that on numerous occasions?

based on your 4 posts you are either KC himself, KC's publicist, KC's wife or you simply have a man crush.....