10/7 Butler - 238
10/14 Valparaiso - 231
10/21 Drake - 199
10/28 Morehead St. - 232
11/4 Jacksonville - 225
11/11 Dayton - 235
11/18 Gridiron Classic

11/25 UC-Davis - 85

This is not an earned playoff bid schedule by any stretch of the imagination (maybe an altered consciousness would accept it). No number of Ws can overcome this basic fact. All other arguments aside, continued postings will be like my father used to say can be attributed to a person talking out of their rear end as their mouth should know better.

As to rescheduling the Dayton game, what kind of conference would allow such a thing? And I am sure that UCD would want to do everything to help USD get into the playoffs.

Please continue to post about what USD needs to do schedule-wise in the future to give the team a valid shot, but until they get out of the Pioneer they better have four solid I-AA powers of note scheduled.

'Nuff Said!!!

Pard4Life
October 11th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Just ask YSU... DII wins hurt and do not count... let alone NAIA.. jeeez...

Reality 4, San Diego 0.

Ronbo
October 11th, 2006, 08:54 AM
If San Diego wants to get into the playoffs they should offer schollies and join the Great West. Problem solved.

MplsBison
October 11th, 2006, 08:56 AM
I agree.

The Great West would take them no questions in a second.

Pard4Life
October 11th, 2006, 08:58 AM
I agree.

The Great West would take them no questions in a second.

:confused: Why is that? Would be a good idea though... auto-bid status closer to being attained.

RabidRabbit
October 11th, 2006, 09:47 AM
:confused: Why is that? Would be a good idea though... auto-bid status closer to being attained.

USD is already an existing D-I school. Therefore, their joining the GWFC, would make the conference eligible for an auto-bid 2 years after NDSU/ SDSU become play-off eligible, which is 2010. This is four years faster than for UND to get the GWFC eligible.

From USD's standpoint, it would add the 2 other CA I-AA schools as conference rivals, lead to a stuffed stadium for games, and decrease their travel costs from Pioneer Conference. Further, if they win the GWFC, their SOS would be solid for the intervening 4 years, and lead to the play-off bid. Might be enough to stave off a Gateway pluck of the xDSU's? Doubt it, be GWFC needs autobid security to justify staying together.

Downside, is if they don't bring schollies up to 63, they're going to get smashed in the GWFC. Need look no further than the situation at SUU or SDSU to see that fewer schollies generally leave you toward the bottom against full schollie schools.

Jackluv
October 11th, 2006, 11:02 AM
good post, im tired of these idiots backing up USD.

Torero Tradition
October 11th, 2006, 11:09 AM
I think the GWC would be a great thing for USD... and I hope other schools try and contact USD about doing so. Also agree that USD should offer up to 63 scholarships... I believe they have the money to do that, but some of the administration wouldn't mind dropping football all together. That is why the attention USD is getting in the poles is good for the school. It may force their hand a little bit and help those on the inside who are trying to rally support for getting more money into the program. You are corrent, USD would most likely stuggle in the GWC as a non-scholly team. Torero Stadium isn't anything super fancy, but it is decent and I think would be a nice addition to the GWC.

Pard4Life
October 11th, 2006, 11:11 AM
I think the GWC would be a great thing for USD... and I hope other schools try and contact USD about doing so. Also agree that USD should offer up to 63 scholarships... I believe they have the money to do that, but some of the administration wouldn't mind dropping football all together. That is why the attention USD is getting in the poles is good for the school. It may force their hand a little bit and help those on the inside who are trying to rally support for getting more money into the program. You are corrent, USD would most likely stuggle in the GWC as a non-scholly team. Torero Stadium isn't anything super fancy, but it is decent and I think would be a nice addition to the GWC.

..and then if you win games there you easily deserve a ranking...

Torero Tradition
October 11th, 2006, 11:20 AM
According to Sagarin (as of the week of 10/9/06) here is the problem:

9/1 Azusa Pacific - NAIA
9/9 Dixie State - D-II
9/16 Yale - 128 Sagarin Rating
9/30 Davidson - 217
10/7 Butler - 238
10/14 Valparaiso - 231
10/21 Drake - 199
10/28 Morehead St. - 232
11/4 Jacksonville - 225
11/11 Dayton - 235
11/18 Gridiron Classic

11/25 UC-Davis - 85

-------

The intersesting thing is even with a schedule like that, according to Saragin... USD is the 17th ranked team in I-AA. After the games from this weekend:
San Diego is ranked #11 in Don Hansen's top 40.
San Diego is ranked #13 in the Bradley-Terry Rankings.
San Diego is ranked #19 in the College Sporting News (CSN) Coaches Poll.
San Diego is ranked #20 in the AGS Poll.
San Diego is ranked #21 in the Sportsnetwork Poll.
San Diego is ranked #22 in the GPI poll. (as of 9/28 games)

Those are facts and actual rankings from last weekend. When you have those kind of rankings... don't you think any other school might be wondering about the playoffs? Wouldn't it make you wonder if you were a Torero fan if you even had a shot? Thus converstation started. I don't think there is anything wrong with healthy discussion regardless of your view point.

Gordon Shumway
October 11th, 2006, 11:32 AM
USD is already an existing D-I school. Therefore, their joining the GWFC, would make the conference eligible for an auto-bid 2 years after NDSU/ SDSU become play-off eligible, which is 2010. This is four years faster than for UND to get the GWFC eligible.

From USD's standpoint, it would add the 2 other CA I-AA schools as conference rivals, lead to a stuffed stadium for games, and decrease their travel costs from Pioneer Conference. Further, if they win the GWFC, their SOS would be solid for the intervening 4 years, and lead to the play-off bid. Might be enough to stave off a Gateway pluck of the xDSU's? Doubt it, be GWFC needs autobid security to justify staying together.

Downside, is if they don't bring schollies up to 63, they're going to get smashed in the GWFC. Need look no further than the situation at SUU or SDSU to see that fewer schollies generally leave you toward the bottom against full schollie schools.

Too bad we have to wait so long for the fireworks. There doesn't appear to be much question that a fully qualified GWFC would be worthy of an auto-bid. However, who loses their auto-bid in favor of the GWFC? That argument should make for some great threads.

CollegeSportsInfo
October 11th, 2006, 11:41 AM
When you factor in their rankings though, USD is right there with the rest of the contenders. If the politics came into play and there was a push to get USD to add scholarships, a bid could certinaly help make that happen.

PantherRob82
October 11th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Too bad we have to wait so long for the fireworks. There doesn't appear to be much question that a fully qualified GWFC would be worthy of an auto-bid. However, who loses their auto-bid in favor of the GWFC? That argument should make for some great threads.

That thread would end up in smack pretty quickly.

Torero Tradition
October 11th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Patriot... LOL :)

Would a conference really have to lose one? The GWFC is going to be an awfully strong conference... i think it already is.

kardplayer
October 11th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Patriot... LOL :)

Would a conference really have to lose one? The GWFC is going to be an awfully strong conference... i think it already is.

More likely the OVC or the MEAC, seeing as how they haven't won a playoff game in many years...

Stang Fever
October 11th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Now that would be a great convo. who would loose there Auto Bid.

USD is ranked because of winning so many games in a row. over two seasons.

bisonbill
October 11th, 2006, 09:34 PM
What would it take for USD to improve it's schedule... Maybe a move to the GWFC. NDSU has the toughest schedule in our schools history. Our schedule was brought to it's current state only after a couple of years in I-AA. USD has been in I-AA much longer and a move to the GWFC would immediatly give the school credibility.

Stang Fever
October 11th, 2006, 10:00 PM
I believe next year the AD at USD will schedule someone good. I know they will. cause they are going to feel like they got snubbed from the playoffs which they actually didnt. and then we will see some major upgrades to that out of conf. games

Polywog
October 11th, 2006, 10:45 PM
USD would be a welcome addition to the GWFC....but it seems like Torero Tradition is the only USD supporter who thinks so. I for one would LOVE to see USD in the Great West, but the USD admin has shown no interest. Why hasn't USD scheduled any GWFC teams up until now? Or Big Sky, Southland, etc? Because they don't want to play a schedule full of teams who offer scholarships. Cal Poly tried for several years to schedule USD but got turned down time after time.

Yes, yes, USD beat Yale, but allow me to continue to beat this long-dead horse carcass: Undefeated against Azusa Pacific, Dixie State, Southeastern Wyoming Teachers College, ITT Tech, or whoever doesn't make you a contender.

USD chose to be non-schollie and play in the Gridiron Classic. The Toreros made their bed, now they have to sleep in it.

October 12th, 2006, 01:02 AM
According to Sagarin...Oops, a shaky start looking at Sag for non-D-I... he refuses to do it.

JALMOND
October 12th, 2006, 02:09 AM
I believe next year the AD at USD will schedule someone good. I know they will. cause they are going to feel like they got snubbed from the playoffs which they actually didnt. and then we will see some major upgrades to that out of conf. games

I would relish an opportunity to play USD next year. We could brag about a nice "quality" I-AA win.

A side note to all this San Diego talk. Their closest game all year was against Azusa Pacific, an NAIA that traditionally schedules a very tough OOC. San Diego beat them, 27-0. This same Azusa Pacific team just lost last week to Southern Oregon, another NAIA (and the team we got out of playing so we could schedule Oregon), by the score of 57-7. Anyway, just wanted to point this out.

October 12th, 2006, 03:15 AM
I would relish an opportunity to play USD next year. We could brag about a nice "quality" I-AA win...uh huh :confused:

GeauxLions94
October 12th, 2006, 10:44 AM
-------

The intersesting thing is even with a schedule like that, according to Saragin... USD is the 17th ranked team in I-AA. After the games from this weekend:
San Diego is ranked #11 in Don Hansen's top 40.
San Diego is ranked #13 in the Bradley-Terry Rankings.
San Diego is ranked #19 in the College Sporting News (CSN) Coaches Poll.
San Diego is ranked #20 in the AGS Poll.
San Diego is ranked #21 in the Sportsnetwork Poll.
San Diego is ranked #22 in the GPI poll. (as of 9/28 games)

Those are facts and actual rankings from last weekend. When you have those kind of rankings... don't you think any other school might be wondering about the playoffs? Wouldn't it make you wonder if you were a Torero fan if you even had a shot? Thus converstation started. I don't think there is anything wrong with healthy discussion regardless of your view point.

Coastal Carolina fans have said the same thing since 2004 and how many playoff appearances have they earned???

eaglesrthe1
October 12th, 2006, 12:14 PM

IMO, you wont see any conference lose an auto-bid. Either the playoffs will be expanded..:nonono2:, or the 50% auto-bid rule will be changed.:eyebrow:

I would prefer the auto-bid be done away with.:nod:

USDFAN_55
October 12th, 2006, 01:24 PM
You knwo what all this San Diego talk reminds me of? I'm not sure if you follow high school football much, but there is a team in Northern California (De La Salle) that won 151 games in a row. For about the first 100 games or so everyone in the country said they weren't any good and that they were only winning because their competition was poor. So they went out and played the top teams in the country, and continued to win. Even then they didn't get the respect they deserved. It seems as though everyone hates a team that continues to win, when it is not their own team.

ucdtim17
October 12th, 2006, 01:30 PM
It could be like that, or it could be like Boise beating up on WAC teams year after year, then finally getting a shot last year at a big boy in the SEC and getting blown out

JALMOND
October 12th, 2006, 01:34 PM
You knwo what all this San Diego talk reminds me of? I'm not sure if you follow high school football much, but there is a team in Northern California (De La Salle) that won 151 games in a row. For about the first 100 games or so everyone in the country said they weren't any good and that they were only winning because their competition was poor. So they went out and played the top teams in the country, and continued to win. Even then they didn't get the respect they deserved. It seems as though everyone hates a team that continues to win, when it is not their own team.

They continued to win until they scheduled the Pac-NW. I believe they lost to a Seattle school (Bellevue maybe).

USDFAN_55
October 12th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Could go any way right now. This is practicaly the same coaching staff that took the Western Kentucky squad to the National Championship game and won.

USDFAN_55
October 12th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Sure they lost. You have to lose eventually. 151 games is amazing!!! That included games against Long Beach Poly, Mater Dei, St. Louis (Hawaii), Louisiana schools, and whoever else they could schedule to get the respect.

danefan
October 12th, 2006, 01:37 PM

I don't think people are hating on USD for winning all those games. If anything people are applauding such a long winning streak, which we all know is hard to do at any level. I think people are just saying that USD doesn't have the strength of schedule to get a playoff bid were they eligible, which according to your own conference's commish, they are not. I for one agree that USD is good...maybe good enough to win a tough schedule. But that is all speculation because the fact is USD does not have a tough schedule and has not since the winning streak began. Without playing a tough schedule you don't deserve to get in. Even if you're 100-0.

Albany, CCSU, Stony Brook, and Monmouth have made tough schedules. They have, unfortunately, won some of those tough games and lost others. Using strictly playoff analysis I put Albany, San Diego, CCSU and Monmouth on the same level...close but no cigar. How San Diego matches up to Albany, CCSU, and Monmouth will be determined in the Gridiron Classic....in the cold, windy, northeast November. Not sure how many Duquense fans are here, but they can tell you what its like to travel to the NE for a "bowl" game being ranked in the top 25.

Gordon Shumway
October 12th, 2006, 02:03 PM
USDFAN_55.....I don't think you are doing yourself any favors comparing USD to a high school team:eek:

Just kidding....reallyxlolx xlolx

USDFAN_55
October 12th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Not trying to do myself any favors. Just pointing out an observation.

USDFAN_55
October 12th, 2006, 02:18 PM
According to Sagarin (as of the week of 10/9/06) here is the problem:

9/1 Azusa Pacific - NAIA
9/9 Dixie State - D-II
9/16 Yale - 128 Sagarin Rating
9/30 Davidson - 217
10/7 Butler - 238
10/14 Valparaiso - 231
10/21 Drake - 199
10/28 Morehead St. - 232
11/4 Jacksonville - 225
11/11 Dayton - 235
11/18 Gridiron Classic

11/25 UC-Davis - 85

This is not an earned playoff bid schedule by any stretch of the imagination (maybe an altered consciousness would accept it). No number of Ws can overcome this basic fact. All other arguments aside, continued postings will be like my father used to say can be attributed to a person talking out of their rear end as their mouth should know better.

As to rescheduling the Dayton game, what kind of conference would allow such a thing? And I am sure that UCD would want to do everything to help USD get into the playoffs.

Please continue to post about what USD needs to do schedule-wise in the future to give the team a valid shot, but until they get out of the Pioneer they better have four solid I-AA powers of note scheduled.

'Nuff Said!!!

I find it funny that everyone knocks the Sagarin rating as if it is the most unreliable source of power rankings, yet you are quick to use them to illustrate the strength of a schedule.

Torero Tradition
October 12th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I would relish an opportunity to play USD next year. We could brag about a nice "quality" I-AA win.

A side note to all this San Diego talk. Their closest game all year was against Azusa Pacific, an NAIA that traditionally schedules a very tough OOC. San Diego beat them, 27-0. This same Azusa Pacific team just lost last week to Southern Oregon, another NAIA (and the team we got out of playing so we could schedule Oregon), by the score of 57-7. Anyway, just wanted to point this out.

Comparative scores are always tough... "playing that game", you would get spanked by Division II Chadron State this year. :cool:

JALMOND
October 13th, 2006, 03:15 AM
Comparative scores are always tough... "playing that game", you would get spanked by Division II Chadron State this year. :cool:

Yeah, guess you're right. Based on that Chadron would give Cal a good game.