PDA

View Full Version : Nobody Got Woofed this Year

TypicalTribe
November 25th, 2013, 01:02 PM
I know this might be hard to stomach given the amount of griping going on around here, but there isn't a single team that can legitimately say they got Woofed this year. Every team on the outside looking in fell on their face in the last couple of weeks of the season and lost at least one, if not two or three games that they knew would put them in the playoffs. If you can't win these de facto playoff games, then why do you deserve to play actual playoff games?

Now, there are clearly arguments against several of the teams that made the playoffs, but that is different than there being arguments for the teams that didn't get bids. For example, I see nothing on the level of Towson getting left out last year after closing the season strong and throttling UNH in the last week. Nothing on the level of a 10-1 Lehigh getting left out or some of the Coastal, Cal Poly or, yes, Wofford snubs from years ago.

What we saw this year is what happens when you have so many at-large bids that the only choices left are all mediocre. I think more than anything, when we are arguing the merits of 5 loss teams, it is the best argument against expanding any further, or else we can look forward to discussing the merits of whether you need to be above .500 to be eligible.

In short, it's the first year I can remember where it was a challenge to find enough deserving teams to fill out the bracket. Hopefully, this was just a random year, but I'm worried it will be the norm in the era of 24 team playoffs.

Catbooster
November 25th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Agreed. You can argue all day whether one team was a better choice than another, but the fact is that none of the bubble teams earned a playoff spot. A few teams hit the lottery and get to play another game.

danefan
November 25th, 2013, 01:51 PM
I think Marist is the only team that really got screwed and that's as by the PFL itself.....not the Committee.

blackbeard
November 25th, 2013, 01:53 PM
I think Marist is the only team that really got screwed and that's as by the PFL itself.....not the Committee.

Agreed

MTfan4life
November 25th, 2013, 03:23 PM

Well that was on the fault of the NCAA's hesitant release of the SRS poll. The PFL didn't know they wouldn't release any public data til late November when they signed up for it. Even the NCAA said that there'd be a mid-season release of the SRS. They wavered on it, so the PFL couldn't keep all their chickens in that basket in case it never came to form.

Bogus Megapardus
November 25th, 2013, 03:42 PM

No doubt.

TypicalTribe
November 25th, 2013, 03:51 PM
It wasn't the PFL...the Butler did it.

Wallace
November 26th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Butler finished higher in the tiebreaker than Marist

Wallace
November 26th, 2013, 07:57 AM
see the official WOOFED thread for the actual teams that got WOOFED http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?148588-OFFICIAL-2013-WOOFED-MVFC-UNI-and-YSU

danefan
November 26th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Butler finished higher in the tiebreaker than Marist

Which tiebreaker was that? The one that was originally agreed to? Or the one the changed to last minute?

Wallace
November 26th, 2013, 08:15 AM
the official tiebreaker

danefan
November 26th, 2013, 08:44 AM
the official tiebreaker

So you mean the second one that was settled upon?

Seems to me that Marist would have been in under the original tiebreaker.

UNH Fanboi
November 26th, 2013, 09:55 AM
I agree that this year is more a case of undeserving teams getting in than a case of deserving teams being left out.