PDA

View Full Version : JMU Fires Mickey Matthews

bluehenbillk
November 25th, 2013, 08:15 AM
http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14400&ATCLID=209323578

furpal87
November 25th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Surprising to say the least. Can't wait to hear the comments on this one, but apparently shelf life of a championship is 9 years.

superman7515
November 25th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Dang, I called that one last week. He needed to win this week bad.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 25th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Think those "anonymous player comments" had anything to do with this a few weeks back? Not sure, just asking.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 25th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Actually, not surprising at all, except for the fans who didn't believe the admin had the guts or willingness to fire him considering the payout clause in his contract. It is a very sad day in many respects for us JMU fans - great memories that I know I will never forget and MM was a big reason for many of them. That being said, it has been time for the university to move on. Alumni and fans were fed up with the combination of on the field performance and off the field issues with players, be it legal/criminal issues or rumors of player discontent, etc.

In any case, most JMU fans expect a move to FBS fairly soon and we didn't want a lame duck coach (1 year left on his contract) recruiting for that, should it actually happen. Also, the AD stated several years again we wanted to be CAA champs at least once per four years. That has not happened as 2008 was the last CAA championship. The goals were set high and he did not deliver. For that, regardless of all the other issues, you cannot blame the JMU admin for not following through on their promise.

Donations from JMU alumni will be = or greater due to this coaching change. Now I just hope and pray we find someone who can take us to the next level.

Mickey - we loved you, and I as a JMU fan will always treasure the great decade or so of JMU football you built for my alma mater!

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 25th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Dang, I called that one last week. He needed to win this week bad.

He was toast after the Stony Brook home loss. Towson loss just made the AD's job that much easier.

SpeedkingATL
November 25th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Kind of sad but it was probably time. Mickey was certainly a colorful guy and I will always be thankful for him running "one more play" against the Apps at The Rock.

thirdgendin
November 25th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Surprising to say the least. Can't wait to hear the comments on this one, but apparently shelf life of a championship is 9 years.

At Furman, the shelf life of a championship was only 5 years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Satterfield.

UNH Fanboi
November 25th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Not surprised at all. MM had some of the best facilities and resources in FCS, plus a great location for recruiting, and hasn't done much with all of that in five years.

dwtime
November 25th, 2013, 09:32 AM
I think JMU has a great program but I never liked the guy. It was time to send Bilbo Baggins back to the Shire. 18567

AmsterBison
November 25th, 2013, 09:34 AM
I watched JMU play a couple times this year thanks to the CAA's excellent media contract. Seemed like a pretty solid team that found ways to lose.

Anovafan
November 25th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Not really surprising if you know what has occurred in the past with MM and what JMU wants to be going forward.

KC Keeler anyone?

Mountaineer
November 25th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Still my favorite MM coaching moment. :p

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writer/2008/20080920ASUJMUgallery2/images/The%20Fumble%20in%2007.jpg

State Line Liquors
November 25th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Not really surprising if you know what has occurred in the past with MM and what JMU wants to be going forward.

KC Keeler anyone?

I propose a steel cage match between Keeler and Mickey for the Albany job. The winner becomes head coach, the loser becomes defensive coordinator, and they play a game of rock paper scissors to pick the poor rube who runs the offense.

Cleets
November 25th, 2013, 10:40 AM
I watched JMU play a couple times this year thanks to the CAA's excellent media contract. Seemed like a pretty solid team that found ways to lose.

This is the same conclusion I had...
I was able to watch 3 JMU games this year and they were LOADED with talent at all the skill positions
and yet lost games against lesser opponents
That was obviously going over poorly with the top brass

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 25th, 2013, 10:54 AM
This is the same conclusion I had...
I was able to watch 3 JMU games this year and they were LOADED with athletes at all the skill positions
and yet lost games against lesser opponents
That was obviously going over poorly with the top brass

FIFY - athletes are people who have all the physical attributes that would suggest they can succeed on the field. Talent, however, is a mixture of athleticism and intelligence that leverages said athleticism for maximum value in the game.

JMU had great athletes this year, but I am not 100% sure about talent. Our defensive backfield was a mess and that never helped. LB Stephon Robertson can only do but so much, and he just looked like he had enough by the last 2-3 games of the year, sadly.

And yes, we JMU fans felt the same way. I know people always think about their team, "We should be winning, we have the better team." But that was really the case this year as we had the pieces but nothing seemed to click for some reason, minus the teaser win vs. Villanova. Ultimately, that's on the HC, and it's been one too many years of mediocrity to last any longer at JMU.

FCS Go!
November 25th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Mike London will be available in a couple of weeks...

texcap
November 25th, 2013, 11:13 AM

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writer/2008/20080920ASUJMUgallery2/images/The%20Fumble%20in%2007.jpg

This is my second favorite all time coaching moment. My first is, and has always been, The Miracle on the Mountain. HEY BOBBY: "Go for two!"

WrenFGun
November 25th, 2013, 11:34 AM
When I watched JMU with Rodney Landers, they were physical on offense and defense, and ran a lot. When they came to Durham this year it just felt they had no identity. Seems like the right time to make a move.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 25th, 2013, 03:19 PM
I hear that London is safe. (He may want to consult Mickey Matthews now that he is available - HOW TO BEAT VA TECH)

UNHWildcat18
November 25th, 2013, 04:06 PM
I propose a steel cage match between Keeler and Mickey for the Albany job. The winner becomes head coach, the loser becomes defensive coordinator, and they play a game of rock paper scissors to pick the poor rube who runs the offense.

Nah the loser goes to URI or CCSU

Skjellyfetti
November 25th, 2013, 04:41 PM
A lot of similarities between Mickey Matthews and Jerry Moore.

JMUNJ08
November 25th, 2013, 04:48 PM

Jerry went to the playoffs almost every year until the end. MM found a way to not make the playoffs almost every year near the end....

But yes, there are some similarities...

Skjellyfetti
November 25th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Jerry went to the playoffs almost every year until the end. MM found a way to not make the playoffs almost every year near the end....

But yes, there are some similarities...

Well, yeah... we got to the playoffs. But, I'm not sure we would have made the playoffs if we had been in the CAA. And, we also laid an egg in the first round 3 years in a row. I guess that's a little better than missing out completely... but, not much.

Grizalltheway
November 25th, 2013, 04:55 PM

Easy choice for Griz fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LzOnH-34to

JMUNJ08
November 25th, 2013, 05:03 PM
I love seeing all these haunting images/ videos coming back at once after a 6-6 season to top it off. Thanks for the memories Mickey!!!!

Grizalltheway
November 25th, 2013, 05:18 PM
I love seeing all these haunting images/ videos coming back at once after a 6-6 season to top it off. Thanks for the memories Mickey!!!!

Lol, sorry about pouring salt on the wounds. xlolx

DoubleH
November 25th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Not surprised at all. MM had some of the best facilities and resources in FCS, plus a great location for recruiting, and hasn't done much with all of that in five years.

Hit the nail on the head. The bar was set very high, but JMU never lacked for resources and institutional support to win, so the past few years were unacceptable.

Ivytalk
November 25th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Too bad
So sad
Buh-bye!

From a UD fan!

Cocky
November 26th, 2013, 06:58 PM
At Furman, the shelf life of a championship was only 5 years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Satterfield.

at Auburn it's one year.

mainejeff
November 26th, 2013, 07:06 PM
See ya Mickey, you dumb ****!xpeacex

Now we don't have to listen to him whine incessantly about Maine and UNH's facilities anymore. And JMU fans still have their Golden Palace to hang their hats on! Everybody wins!:)

MacThor
November 26th, 2013, 07:12 PM

Now we don't have to listen to him whine incessantly about Maine and UNH's facilities anymore. And JMU fans still have their Golden Palace to hang their hats on! Everybody wins!:)

You mean those Maine and UNH facilities that are actually hosting playoff games? :)

ValleyTalk
November 26th, 2013, 07:13 PM

He whined nonstop about playing in Youngstown in the 2006 playoffs. Our facilities were top notch at this level then, as they still are now, but it wasn't enough for the guy. Glad we scored 14 in the final 11 minutes to beat them on National TV!

mainejeff
November 26th, 2013, 08:01 PM
He whined nonstop about playing in Youngstown in the 2006 playoffs. Our facilities were top notch at this level then, as they still are now, but it wasn't enough for the guy. Glad we scored 14 in the final 11 minutes to beat them on National TV!

Like the fans that wanted his head in the end.........for Mickey it was ALL about top notch facilities and the FBS dream. To bad that bus is leaving without him.xlmaox

Maybe he should have worried more about recruiting, keeping his players out of trouble and above all.......winning games.xwhistlex

TigerFen
November 26th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Not surprised at all. The Towson loss made it easier for him. He will get a head coaching job somewhere again soon. He's got a national championship and I think he may get in the Albany race now.

Tribal
November 27th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Not surprised at all. The Towson loss made it easier for him. He will get a head coaching job somewhere again soon. He's got a national championship and I think he may get in the Albany race now.

I highly doubt he'll go to Albany. Fact is, he's a Texan who has always coached in the south...also think he'll end up taking a DC job at some FBS school.

TigerFen
November 27th, 2013, 12:45 PM
I didn't realize he was from Texas. I was thinking that since he had been in VA for so long that he was a northeastern type. I can see him taking an FBS DC job because his teams have been pretty good defensively.

mainejeff
November 27th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Fact is, he's a Texan......

No wonder he's such an a-hole!........and such a fish out of water in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic.

penguinpower
November 27th, 2013, 03:25 PM
The firing couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Daved
November 28th, 2013, 01:59 PM
He whined nonstop about playing in Youngstown in the 2006 playoffs. Our facilities were top notch at this level then, as they still are now, but it wasn't enough for the guy. Glad we scored 14 in the final 11 minutes to beat them on National TV!JMU had that game in the bag but Mickey gave it away--I always meant to send him a Thank You card for that.xsmugx

penguinpower
November 28th, 2013, 05:36 PM

???? Jerry Moore is all class. Matthews??

ngineer
November 28th, 2013, 09:06 PM
I expect a long list of candidates for this job. It is a very good gig with the facilities and institutional support. I can see Matthews getting an asst. or coord. job at a mid-BCS school. I don't see his personality being a fit for Ford's successor at Albany. Also, as an aside. I wonder if Keeler wants to follow another 'legend' as he did at UD?